[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Witcher 3 >play as a predefined character with a set profession
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 15
File: witcher3.jpg (67 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
witcher3.jpg
67 KB, 640x360
Witcher 3
>play as a predefined character with a set profession and past
>goal of the game is to find your adopted kid
>conversations have maybe 4 choices of dialogue at the most, usually less
>shows only a few keywords in each dialogue option, no idea what your character's full line will be

WOW CD Projekt has really brought open world storytelling to the next level I've never seen something this immersive or well presented before, BRAVO

Fallout 4
>goal of the game is to find your kid
>conversations always have 4 dialogue choices, no more and no less
>shows only a few keywords in each dialogue option, no idea what your character's full line will be

Bethesda really dropped the ball on this one what terrible storytelling how am I even supposed to roleplay in this fucking shitheap BRAVO BETHESTARDS
>>
I love fallout 4 but you're a fucking retard and should feel bad. It's not about the system in which the writing is delivered, you fucking retard. It's about the quality of the writing itself. TW3 shits on FO4 in that regard. There's no way you're past the age of 17 if you can't admit that.
>>
File: Earthworm Jim.jpg (87 KB, 720x543) Image search: [Google]
Earthworm Jim.jpg
87 KB, 720x543
>>316483710

This. Appropriate answer.

You're a fucking retard, OP.
>>
>>316483538

You mean:

Witcher 3:
>game starts with you having to find Ciri
>in the whole game you are actually searching for Ciri and then protecting her

Fallout 4
>i must find my kid
>oh look a settlement lets help them
>oh look a vault, lets loot it
>oh look its the BoS guys lets join
>oh another settlement, lets help them too
>5 months later
>WHERE IS MY SON YOU FUCKING bASTARD
>>
>>316483538
It's over Todd, let it go.
>>
>>316483710
this. Witcher 3 is a lot more mature game with complex storytelling, also side stories are great and interesting. FO4 main quest is basically 10 straight forward quests.
>>
>HERE'S YOUR SON AND WIFE DON'T YOU LOVE THEM DEARLY??
>WOOPS ITS BEEN 10 MINUTES TIME FOR THEM TO GO AWAY AREN'T YOU EMOTIONALLY INVESTED ALREADY???
>DON'T YOU LOVE THIS TERRIBLY WRITTEN DIALOGUE THAT LETS YOU BE ANYONE (of four choices)
>>
File: bait is for amateur.jpg (170 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
bait is for amateur.jpg
170 KB, 1000x667
>>316483538
Witcher 3
>delay numerous times for best performance and minimal bug
>faithfull to the previous game lore and story

Fallout 4
>fuck loyal gamers and old fanbase, we want skyrim number audience!
>no delay for rushed release
>literary re-do every mistake in skyrim engine has and got away with it
>>
File: 1445925789294.png (731 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1445925789294.png
731 KB, 700x700
I still don't get the can't guess the dialogue meme. Are you guys that fucking autistic that you can't guess that your character is going to say 'What do you mean you don't know xxx?' when the option is 'What do you mean?'. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd rather have the full dialogue written out, but the 4 options isn't that bad. You can obviously guess what you're going to say if you try to spark atleast two neurons together you fucking basement animu faggots.
>>
>>316483538
Witcher 3
>play a predefined character well known from books lore
>game set in predefined world known from books
>characters are known from books

Fallout 4:
>hey guys lets shit on everything that made the franchise so great and make predefined character and shitty dialogues
>>
>>316483538

Geralt is an interesting and likable character, one which some of us have been following the adventures of for well over a decade. His character arcs over the course of the Wticher is also really solid.

Fallout 4's avatar is a flat character with no real personality or character arc. It's basically a blank slate, but with an really dumb/cliched madatory origin and limited dialog options that really put a damper on any sort of roleplaying or immersion.
>>
>>316483538
Witcher 3
>complex series of choice and consequence for every quest and sidequest with unique game altering outcomes

Fallout 4
>Can say yes, no, HATE NEWSPAPER
>Choices are the equivalent of World of Warcraft "Accept" and "Decline" buttons on quest text
>>
>>316483538
Thing is, Fallout 4 pitched itself as an open slate when it comes to character building.

It wasn't.

That's not even getting into the huge difference in writing quality AND scope. The only thing that's even a fair competition between them is the combat.
>>
File: 1423138931862.jpg (102 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1423138931862.jpg
102 KB, 480x480
Jesus OP gets blown the fuck out with every asnwer so far
>>
Need a nudge in the right direction from you guys that played Witcher 3 and are playing Fallout 4.

Which should I invest in first? Which did you find more fun? The only reason why I am buying Fallout 4 is due to the post apocalyptic world that I love (just like cyberpunk) but I am concerned if the Witcher 3 combat is dodge spam.
>>
>>316484549
>fuck loyal gamers and old fanbase, we want skyrim number audience!
Whoa, whoa, there buddy.
The bethesda fanbase loves that. They literally say "mods will fix that" and "the mods are required for the game to be better."
When your fanbase likes shit, you can't disappoint them.
>>
>>316484156
f4 may be a shitty game, but u still are a retarted cdrone. w3 keeps you sidequesting just as much as f4
>>
>>316484540
This. I actually gave a shit about Ciri and after finding her, cared for her safety.

I just shrugged upon death of fallouts4 wife, dont really care about finding son either.
>>
>>316484156
You can do sidequests for 100 hours in The Witcher 3 and totally ignore the main quest there too
>>
>>316484763
>SARCASTIC
>>
Yeah, but the Witcher games have ALWAYS been like that. We've known it to be like that and weren't expecting anything substantially different. And the dialogue options offer enough keywords for you to get the tone of what Geralt will say, especially if you know the sort of character Geralt is.

FO4 is the sequel to a series that started out with having 15 dialogue options sometimes, with 6-8 dialogue options at a time on average. The PC had very little background leaving a lot of room for the player's creativity in terms of backstory, and also offered a wide range of responses to any given situation so you could play a character that you, the player, defined.

For Beth to suddenly change that is where they dropped the ball. They can do so if they liked, but it isn't an innovation in any way. It's dumbing down and it'd be great if they could admit it.
>>
HATE NILFGAARD
>>
File: 1436800086752.png (21 KB, 1422x551) Image search: [Google]
1436800086752.png
21 KB, 1422x551
>>316483538
>>
>>316483710
TW3 has nigger tier writing
>>
>>316483538
Except the witcher 3 has little to no moments where you say something you didn't mean to say, .meanwhile in fallout 90% of the responses are just SARCASTIC and you say some random shit.
>>
>>316485254
RISE NORDLINGS
HAIL RADOVID
>>
>>316485409
RADOVID SUCKS FLACCID COCK
>>
>>316484959

Witcher 3 is a much higher quality game. Better optimization, less glitches, better animations/graphics, better writing, better side quests, bigger world, more content, better music... you get the idea. It's not even really debatable.

Which game has better gameplay, that's more subjective. Witcher 3's gameplay is more challenging and polished, but Fallout 4's FPS gameplay is a big improvement over Fallout 3/NV and the game also has a lot of cool stuff like town building and stuff like that thrown in that make it pretty interesting. It's up to you to decide which you think is more fun.

That being said, do not pick up Witcher 3 unless you're caught up on both the games and the book series. You're doing yourself a huge disservice if you arn't because the game is super reliant on references to things that happened in other Witcher related stuff. It's a real treat for fans, and I can see a lot of story points totally going over a lot of people's heads if they just jumped right in without prior knowledge.
>>
It's funny how you posted a scene from the side quest that have more impact on rest of the game than anything in the fallout 4
>>
>>316485496
Are the books actually good?
>>
tpqh familia, most of the times the dialogue options were deceptive compared to what geralt was actually going to say. especially options that sounded determined ,yet still calm confronting a character, most of the times escalated in massacre.
ill give it another shot when stlm is released for 1.01
>>
>>316484561
>dialogue wheel

who the fuck thought that was a good idea? Yeah man, I sure want to read abbreviations of shit so I can’t even tell what I’m going to say

>Dialogue wheel says “Doubt”
>think my character is going to say something along the lines of “I don’t believe you”
>dialogue starts
>“You are full of shit, the truth is you hated that bitch. You followed her and dragged her onto your Brahmin and then took her out to the Vault. She woke up and you smashed her face in with a Power Fist. And then you stomped her. You stomped her because she’s a drunken whore and she treated you like shit. You stomped her for all the years you had to take it. You stomped her because you are such a weak fucking sister and you wanted to erase all memory of it. Go on. Try to deny it
>guy I’m talking to starts uncontrollably crying
>dialogue wheel gives me 4 new options
>want to console him because I didn’t see it coming that my character would flip out like that
>pick [Glass Him] to give him a drink
>character picks up a nuka cola bottle and smashes his face in
>guy drags himself across the ground screaming for help
>chose dialogue option [Help Him]
>my character starts screaming "Oh I’ll help you alright.” walks up to him and stomps the shit out of his back and breaks his legs with a Super Sledge
>Codsworth hovers over the guy and says some cheesy line along the lines of “Guess this will make BREAKING NEWS when they find his corpse”
>chose dialogue option “Very funny”
>character says “Fuck you”
>>
>>316485631
>he played the games before reading the books
you dun goof'd
>>
>>316484637

This.
Geralt is actually a fleshed out, established character, with a complete backstory and people he cares about.
Fallout 4 main char is a shallow blank slate with enough backstory to prevent you from actually inserting your own idea into the character, but not enough backstory to make him/her interesting.
Also Fallout has always been about being able to create your own character in the world, The Witcher has always been Geralt's story. The funny thing is, that The Witcher games, despite having a pre-defined main character, still allow for more role-playing than Bethesda games, because in The Witcher your choices actually matter and shape the world.

Plus, CDPR can actually into writing.
>>
>>316483538
You're comparing apples to oranges

kek
>>
>>316485550
You mean when it affects whether one NPC shows up for one scene to say "Hey I'm here helping" then does nothing? Or the part where one ending slide has a different picture and line of text associated with it?
>>
>>316485631

Yes, and they're totally worth reading because the lore and context you pick up from them makes the events and references made in the game like 100% more enjoyable.
>>
>>316483538
There is nothing inherently wrong with this. Even Fallout 1 and 2 had predefined characters to some extent, along with your overall goal being told to you within the first hour of playing.

The Witcher 3 isn't criticized for its dialogue labels or limited dialogue options because for the most part, they're used decently. Bethesda on the other hand got extremely fucking lazy half way through with their dialogue labels, seriously.

There are at least a hundred instances in FO4 where you'll find a dialogue label which is simple "SARCASTIC" - that is literally the label, you have no fucking clue what the PC will say at all.

Before you say CDPDrone, I've played both and I actually like Fallout 4 so far, it's a decent game but the writing and dialogue system is horrid.
>>
>>316483538
Op is mad because Fallout 4 is a COD casual shit faggoty. The Witcher 3 deserve the GOTY. Its a better game.
>>
>>316485751
More like turds to oranges.
>>
File: mfwf4shillsarebhurt.jpg (71 KB, 594x412) Image search: [Google]
mfwf4shillsarebhurt.jpg
71 KB, 594x412
mfw i see a thread like this
>>
>>316485696
> despite having a pre-defined main character, still allow for more role-playing than Bethesda games
But that's what role-playing is in its core.
You role-play a character that's not you. Not "self-insert" yourself into a game with a blank state character.
>>
>>316485764

If Keira doesn't go to Kaer Morhen, then Lambert can die in the assault.

It also changes his path completely, because he'll fall in love with her if she saves him and they'll run off to adventure together.
>>
>>316483538
W3 has a predefined character. You don't even get to name him or use a character creator. Having a set voice for that character makes sense.

Bethesda games aren't supposed to have rigid characters. You have a character creator. You give that character a name. Adding a voice and a preset emotions is counter intuitive.

W3 is also way better about telling you what Geralt is going to say. There are a few moments like forcefully shove, but he mostly repeats the line verbatim.
>>
>>316485964
Then every single game in existence is a role-playing game. Why the fuck would there be a distinction if that were the case you literal faggot?
>>
cd projekt falseflagging again
>>
File: laughing7.png (477 KB, 560x500) Image search: [Google]
laughing7.png
477 KB, 560x500
>>316485659
>Oh I’ll help you alright
every fucking time
>>
>>316483538
>fallout 4
>conversations always have 4 dialogue choices, no more and no less
>yes
>yes sarcastically
>yes reluctantly
>ask some information, but not enough to properly inform you
>>
>>316483538
HATE SHILLS
>>
>>316486095
Whoa, no need to get so defensive, insecure buddy. Role-playing: Play a role. In many games you just witness the events without actual role-playing and having any input on the character's decisions.
>>
>How many raiders?
>sarcastic
>yes
>no

"There were three raiders last time, who know how many there are at the base. "
>>
>>316485964

Yes and no.
Either the game gives you a pre-defined character like The Witcher does or a complete blank-slate so that you can insert a character you wanna play (not saying insert yourself, but with New Vegas for example I can role-play different types of characters, like selfish-mercenary type or do-gooder for example).
Then there's the BioWare approach, that gives you a bit of backstory, but still leaves enough room for you to insert your own character (I hate their latest games, but that's what they used to be good at at least, see KotOR or DA:O).
Bethesda now tried both with Fallout 4 and it's a shit idea. Give you a backstory that forces you into a certain role, but not flesh out the character enough to make him or her interesting or relatable.
>>
>>316485496
Thanks a bunch. Also since you reference the books - what about the TV show The Hexer? Is that canon, and where does it place?
>>
>>316486105
poll after poll this year has put Witcher 3 as /v/s goty, or atleast the least hated of the contenders. Ain't no flagging to false

>>316485764
Saving Kiera is saving Lambert, and just in time for you to actually like him after that drunken Witchers scene
>>
>>316486290
you are feeding trolls
>>
File: 1302263673493.png (88 KB, 245x256) Image search: [Google]
1302263673493.png
88 KB, 245x256
>>316483538

Are you MAD, OP?
>>
>>316485631

Yes and you should read them before playing the games. It's no required, but will make them A LOT better still.
>>
>>316486290
No, those are movies. In every single game in existence, you're the one who brings about the events to unfold. You play the role of the character you're in control of and do the things you need to do to make the next event happen. Some games have you hack and slash, some games have you shoot guns, some games have you command things, some games have you talking and making decisions, some games mix-and-match these shit, etc.

And RPG can be either. You can be given a predefined character and you make certain decisions that define that character's abilities, strengths and weaknesses as well as their actions in certain situations that bring about significant changes in the game's plot. Or an RPG could have you do the same thing but with a blank slate character.
>>
>>316486408

The Hexer adapts stories from the Last Wish and Sword of Destiny, so it's really not mandatory.

Check it out if you're a big fan, but you're not missing a lot if you skip it.
>>
The main story in Witcher 3 was one of the weakest points when it came to Ciri, imho, desu senpai keks. It was quite ambitious and didn't quite reach that ambition.
>>
>>316485659
That's funny because your last example is taken from Witcher 2 :^)
>>
>>316485382
I'd assume you'd know.
>>
>>316485659
You pick [Glass Him] if you wanted to glass him, you wouldn't pick it if you wanted to give him a drink?
>>
>>316485318
If you think the later Ciri books are any good, you're either a Polack, deluded or both. The short stories are mostly good, though.
>>
I never played any witcher games, but read all the books.
How does the story progress in the games? Is it based on the books, follows the same plot?

Also, do I play from the 1st game, or should I skip it? Asking since i've read some people here saying that witcher 1 was horrible.
>>
But you're right, witcher 3 has a predefined character where you know enough to know what he's gonna say based on these blurbs. Fallout 4 its a mystery because you don't know anything about him and it seems random
>>
>>316485964
THIS FUCKING HIGHSCHOOL LEVEL OF UNDERSTANDING OF WHAT ROLEPLAYING MEANS, WHY ARE ADULTS SPEWING IT AD NAUSEUM? WHY?
>>
Ciri is just such a boring, bland Mary Sue it's hard to care about her at all.
>>
>>316485254
HATE PORTALS
>>
>>316485631
Some of the better genre fiction out there to be honest my family.
>>
File: 1364098580067.jpg (42 KB, 393x456) Image search: [Google]
1364098580067.jpg
42 KB, 393x456
>>316483538
>I literally never played TW3: The Shillining: The Thread
>>
>>316485879
Idk, I always thought of Fallout 4 as more of an apple than an orange
>>
>>316487049
>it's hard to care about her at all.

You are trying hard. I will give you that.
>>
>>316487017

The first Witcher game is really good, but really dated. Some would even argue it's the best game in the series, and the closest to the books in tone. Give it a try and you might find yourself really enjoying it, it's cheap enough after all because it constantly goes on sale for like a dollar. If you can't get into it though, just move on to Witcher 2. No one will blame you.
>>
File: anotherdayinfallout.jpg (107 KB, 536x643) Image search: [Google]
anotherdayinfallout.jpg
107 KB, 536x643
>>316487408
3 point score
>>
>>316487529
It's better than Witcher 2, that's for sure
>>
>>316486903
Honestly, I agree that the books got progressively worse as they went. And the final volume was pure shit. speaking as a polack
>>
>>316487049
Who?
>>
>>316486408

tv show isn't canon and Sapkowski hates it from what I've heard. He doesn't much care for the games either, but at least he doesn't outright hate them.
Anyone, neither the show nor the games are official canon, though personally I'll take the games as sorta canon, because I don't like the books' ending.
>>
>>316488156

*Anyway
>>
File: 1446484896114.gif (2 MB, 400x224) Image search: [Google]
1446484896114.gif
2 MB, 400x224
The only time when the dialogue system in TW3 failed was the "Very funny." option, and even then you knew it was sarcasm and generally a negative option.

With Fallout 4, you have the same 4 options every time, and no less.
>Okay, I'll do it.
>Okay, I'll reluctantly do it.
>Okay, but let me make a sarcastic comment before I do it.
>Okay, but why am I doing it?
HATE WHEEL
>>
File: The Wire villain.jpg (115 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
The Wire villain.jpg
115 KB, 413x395
>>316485659
>>chose dialogue option “Very funny”
>>character says “Fuck you”

every time
>>
>>316485631
Not really. The short stories and the first three Saga books are good. The last couple of ones are shit because Sapowski didn't know how to end it, so he just kills everyone.
>>316485764
What's funny is
1. You've obviously never played the game and are full of shit
2. Even if you were right that's still more than what FO4 does.
>>
>>316490416
>uh well you're obviously wrong and even if you're right you're just a big dumb idiot!

Great argument CD Projektors
>>
The fact that you don't understand the difference makes me think you're either a child or just mentally retarded. i hope for your sake its the first one.
>>
>>316488782
Wasn't "Very funny" in TW2?
>>
>>316485318
>Reading anything past Last Wish and Sword of Destiny
Even Witcher 3 is less of a Ciri wankfest
>>
>>316485391
Deus Ex HR had shit like "Cold" and "Empathetic" too and you don't hear people complaining.
>>
>>316493021
What matters is that those options usually showed what Jensen was going to say. It wasn't anything like "Doubt=I will rape your children with a hot knife if you ever fucking lie to me again you two timing piece of shit."
>>
>>316485318
You forgot Time of Storms or however it is called, between Last Wish and Sword of Destiny.
I think that book was just purely written so Sapkowski could retoactively make the Witcher games uncanon as fuck, making Dandelion blonde and all.
>>
>>316487529
>and the closest to the books in tone
Because it almost just copies ideas from the book for its plot.
>>
>>316483538

You have to be worthless dumb fucking subhuman scum to not completely understand what kind of thing Geralt will say in the dialogue options.

Fucking kill yourself.
You are trash.
Wasting oxygen.
>>
Heart of Stone is better than both the main game and Fallout 4 in terms of story.

Voice acting, character models and animations etc all really fucking good. The combat and inbetween gameplay is awful though, especially when Geralt is running around out-of-combat, but the dialog exchanges are very well done and are enough to keep you going
>>
>>316484907
filtered
>>
>>316483538
geralt has a personality defined past and traits that make him feel like a person
while the parents in 4 were kept as bland as possible like shepherd from mass effect
this is why its bad
>>
>>316486861
>>316485382

btfo
>>
>Someone asks me what my business here is
>Choose option "My Business" thinking I'll explain what my business is
>"IT'S MY BUSINESS AND I'M NOT TELLING YOU SHIT"

What the fuck bethesda, why did you think this was a good idea?
>>
>>316483538
>witcher was like this from the get
>their writers can actually make you feel for geralt

Next
>>
>>316483710
/thread.
>>
>>316484156
>in the beginning vault
Why is this happening? Why am I here?
>go to leave the vault
I MUST FIND THE TERMINAL!

You literally cannot argue that the voiced protag and retarded dialogue wheel was not a major step to casualize, not only this series but all Bethesda games
>>
File: 1428164505675.png (1 MB, 441x603) Image search: [Google]
1428164505675.png
1 MB, 441x603
>>316483538
One of the main selling points in Bethesda's previous games and even the other Fallout games is the ability to create and play as almost any kind of character, a voiced protagonist with a pre-defined background/motive goes entirely against that and ultimately only takes away from game
>>
>>316493893
Nah the games made sure they weren't canon by reviving Geralt and Yen and throwing them back into the thick of things again. After their deaths in rivia no one ever saw them again besides Nimue. For 200 years everyone believes they died in Rivia or right after their "wedding" either way the important thing is that everyone thought they died. There are also other details as well that makes them incompatible. All of this happened in Lady of the Lake not Season of storms.
>>
>>316483538
Witcher 3 uses defined character properly, it gives him his role and character it helps expand the story in some original way

fo4 character even though is defined, he is also generic enough to fit every playstyle and so is the story and setting.

Shitty writing in fo also doesn't help.
>>
>>316483710
>W3
>Good writing
>It's a literal fanfiction of a twilight tier book series
Holy shit my sides have entered orbit
Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.