[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>make your own OS >zero functionality outside of your DRM
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: steambench-biggest.003-980x735.jpg (65 KB, 980x735) Image search: [Google]
steambench-biggest.003-980x735.jpg
65 KB, 980x735
>make your own OS
>zero functionality outside of your DRM game client
>it runs games worse than Windows
>even your own games run worse
>the city of Valve
>>
>>316480978
its linux you retard
>>
>>316480978
>make your own OS
Incredibly retarded
>>
>>316481104
agreed, it was a stupid idea to make SteamOS
>>
>>316480978
How are they getting such low FPS counts? My 6350 and R9 280 get higher frame rates than Windows 10 with the GIT version of the RadeonSI driver on Ubuntu.
>>
>>316480978
I'm sorry, you don't really seem to know what you are talking about.
>>
>inb4 "I was just pretending"
>>
>>316481662 (You)
>>316481952 (You)
in after samefagging valvedrone defense force. Why is it so hard to accept your DRM boxes with DRM-OS are going to be shit?
>>
I always had better FPS in CS:GO/Dota on Linux (arch, nvidia) than on Windows.

Never tried reborn though.
>>
>>316480978
>2560x1600

wat
>>
>>316481042

is that supposed to make this seem any better?

because really it just makes it seem even worse that Valve couldn't even be assed to make their own unique OS
>>
>>316483930
Apparently they hunted around for a resolution where SteamOS would be shown in the worst light. Why they chose to benchmark a console platform vs a desktop platform at a weird resolution is very odd.
Its also very odd that they built a system with a 2 thread cpu and a 600 series Nvidia card when Valve's recommendations for SteamOS followed by all the Steam Machine makers are at least a 4 thread CPU and a 900 series (or 750) GPU.

The benchmark I want to see is equivalent cost builds. Two separate builds both spending the same amount for hardware and software with Linux vs Windows 10 Pro.
>>
>>316480978
This is the fault of OpenGL, and nothing else. Wait until Vulkan becomes a thing.
>>
>>316484173
Even Microsoft didn't build their own unique OS, they bought DOS, and WinNT is based on VMS.
>>
>>316484173
Why the fuck would they make their own OS? They just made a linux distro focused on playing steam games as they were pushing linux as a legit gaming OS. For the longest time they suggested Ubuntu as a distro as SteamOS wasn't really available to most.

Only reason I'm still using windows is compatibility. As soon as 95%+ of games I want to play are on linux I'm jumping ship. And as mentioned, the test is questionable, there's a number of differences that could be the cause.

>>316484420
Also remember Mac OSX is basically a UI on top of Unix or NetBSD (I forget which). Few unique OS's exist nowadays.
>>
>It runs DOTA perfectly

That's pretty much all they care about to be honest family, if a game doesn't make money after it releases they don't give a fuck about it.

Valve died years ago.
>>
File: 1285592276627.jpg (59 KB, 440x600) Image search: [Google]
1285592276627.jpg
59 KB, 440x600
>>316480978
>Valve fanbois will defend this and throw more money at the fat merchant
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.