[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, why do people hate this again? Is it really that much worse
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3
File: gamepad-front-black[1].jpg (33 KB, 730x386) Image search: [Google]
gamepad-front-black[1].jpg
33 KB, 730x386
So, why do people hate this again?

Is it really that much worse than a Pad Pro controller?
>>
it's heavy but much more comfortable to use then it looks, its positives shine in games like Splatoon but it sucks for shit like Bayonetta due to odd trigger placement
>>
>>316479730
It's heavy and way to fucking big. Also the battery keeps draining even when you have both it and the console powered off (and even not plugged in).

I keep ending up in a cycle of not playing my U for months, and not wanting to start playing it because I'll have to recharge the damn pad, despite having had it fully charged after the last time I had used it.
>>
>>316479730
Me and my gf love to play donkey kong tropical freeze. She uses the game pad I get the wiimote! I make sure she plays with the D-pad as it that how is was when I played DK on my snes when i was a kid..
>>
>>316479927
Wouldn't this be the case with the Pad Pro if you spend a long time not playing your Wii U?
>>
>>316479834
This. It's very comfortable and works great for a lot of games but the Wii U pro is better for others.
>>
>>316479927
I personally just keep it always in the charger, thankfully they provided a really long cable for it.

Still a big fucking shame the battery in it is ass, the other batteries you can get for it aren't much better, either. So any "serious" gaming sessions should use the pro controller
>>
File: lookfor.png (103 KB, 320x212) Image search: [Google]
lookfor.png
103 KB, 320x212
>>316480387
>as it that how is was when
>>
File: IMG_20151113_103604.jpg (1 MB, 5248x1856) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151113_103604.jpg
1 MB, 5248x1856
>>316480387
>>
It's great, I don't know why people would hate on it.
Off screen play is a godsend for lots of people who share TVs. I would have loved having it as a kid.
Hell most of the time I play virtual console games I just look at the gamepad and use the TV as a glorified speaker.
>>
>>316479834
>>316479927
>Heavy

What do you guys mean by this? It only weighs about 500g.
>>
>>316481154
Faded..
>>
>>316481474
They must have weak baby hands
>>
>>316479834
>>316479927
Heavy? What?
>>
>>316481474
>>316481537
>>316481605

heavy compared to the pro controller and most controllers really, but it's more the bulky feel from its size that can be uncomfortable at times
>>
>>316479834
This and you can't turn the screen off even if it's pointless to the gameplay...making it a battery vampire
>>
>>316481636
The Pro controller weighs about half of what the Gamepad does, but 1 pound shouldn't even be noticeable between the two unless you really are a baby posting on this board for adults.
>>
>>316479730
I actually don't find it all that convenient, much like the dual screens on a 3DS. You can only focus one one screen at a time, why do you need two? The argument is for maps and menus, but is it that fucking inconvenient to push a button that your finger is already on to bring up a menu? Especially considering that to interact with the touch screen, you usually have to remove your hand from the controls. I used to think two screens were better, and maybe they are, like to have a map, but on the Wii U where you have a (presumably) decent-sized TV, I think I would rather just have a mini map or an overlay or something, rather than having to divert my focus to a second screen. It's like those people who think you need to use two tablets to "multitask".

That said, this shit is absolutely required for some stuff like Mario Maker, so, yeah.

Also, I find the pro controller more comfortable on a physical level. It may be smaller, overall, but it's actually more ergonomic because the proper controller shape gives your hands something to wrap around, instead of having to grip a flat tablet. Also, dat battery life.
>>
>>316479730
As someone who thought it would be shit before I got my hands on it, it's great. It's surprisingly light, fits well in the hands, and the touch screen is really a convenient thing to have around. Too bad it's underutilized. The battery life is meh, too, but that doesn't matter so much.
>>
>>316481771
>you can't turn the screen off even if it's pointless to the gameplay
Except that you can.
>>
Tried to play Deus Ex with it. Its fucking god awful.

Why I couldn't use a pro control in that game I don't know.
>>
>>316482157

Yeah, so long as you don't touch the fucking thing again. You can't turn the screen off and still use the gamepad.
>>
>>316482297
That's the thing that misses me off. Is that feature seriously impossible for them to patch in?
>>
>>316482297
Yeah, that really bugged me when I first got it, but it's nothing a pro controller can't fix.
>>
>>316482157
Only in some games, and even then you have to navigate a series of convoluted menus just to do so. Try turning that shit off in Yoshi Wooly World, protip: You Cant.

You can dial back the brightness though which helps a little bit I guess.
>>
>>316482425
>The controller is fine, just buy another controller.

LOLWUT?
>>
Besides battery, nothing at all.
It's so cmfy.
>>
>Mario Kart 8 with a friend
>Surely you can have one Player on the TV and the other player on the gamepad like Hyrule Warriors
>Hahaha nope!

Its fucking worthless. Why hasn't that been patched in? Its a joke.
>>
>>316482615
This. That's not a solution. Tropical Freeze has the screen turned off while playing so clearly it's possible to do.
>>
>>316479730
It's a stupid gimmick which has never been useful and upped the price of Wii U by $75.
>>
>>316479730
I hate its Z triggers
>playing smash
>pause and put gamepad down for piss break or some other shit
>90% of the time the triggers push against a surface and take a pic
>have to go through the trouble of deleting them all later
>>
>>316482074
Pretty much this.
Honestly I think this is one of the best controllers , and battery doesn't bother me since I keep the dock besides me and use the cable when battery is low. The convenience of this controller is fucking crazy, swapping items in Zelda without ever having to pause the menu made me hard.
>>
>>316481605
>>316481474
I got the extended battery and it's got some decent weight when that's in. Don't care much though.
>>
>>316482157
>>316482297
>>316482392
some games let you do so, some don't, depends on whether the developer felt like implementing it really

>>316483008
this is basically how I feel about it too, but I really do wish the battery wasn't so shite

>>316481881
>didn't read my post at all
>trying so hard to bait
stay classy, /v/
>>
>>316483008
The charge chord it comes with is laughably short, especially if you don't have it on like a desk or something. That's cool that you can play with the dock right next to you, but my living room is big and I like to kick back on my couch.
>>
>>316483120
I can't think of a single game that allows you to turn off the screen while still using the gamepad. As far as I know, you can turn off the screen but have to use the Wii U pro instead.
>>
>>316483237
You don't have an outlet anywhere near your couch?
>>
>>316483297
pretty sure DK:TF and a few others let you but I'm not that sure, some games just have you completely switch to the gamepad and would otherwise keep the gamepad's screen off

>>316483237
charge cable that came with mine is a decent length as far as charge cables go, about 3 meters; I can easily sit back in my couch with that
>>
>>316483478
Tropical Freeze doesn't let you. The screen is just off by default unless you switch to offscreen play.
>>
>>316479730
I don't mind using the gamepad. Not really all that heavy for me, and I have one of those battery extender devices attached to it. However, if I have the option, I switch over to the pro controller when I can, because I hate the fact that since the gamepad is required to get some games to run regardless if it's not needed, like Wonderful 101, that means that if something happens to the gamepad, be it analog starts acting weird or the screen breaks or it just seizes to function, you got to have it repaired by sending it to Nintendo since they're not willing to sell gamepads as standalones. It's fucking retarded as all hell, but thankfully a lot of the recent games can run without it now.
>>
>>316483527
that's what I meant didn't work it right sorry
>>
ANYBODY WITH A FUCKING SMART PHONE KNOWS THAT DISPLAYS KILL BATTERIES...AND LIKE TWO GAMES USE THE DISPLAY IN A WAY THAT ACTUALLY MATTERS.

FUCK YOU Nintendo. I don't need a redundant screen showing me what I'm already watching on my TV.

You would also fucking triple the battery life of the goddamn thing if I could just turn the screen off but still use the controller. It's just bad design all around. It should have never gone to production without a PHYSICAL toggle switch on the controller itself to kill the screen.
>>
>>316481474
>>316481605
Pick up literally any other videogame controller, including the OG Xbox one. Then pick up the Gamepad. It is by far heavier and more unwieldy than virtually every other controller out there.
>>
>>316483369
I have 3 corgis. I can't really have any exposed cables anywhere, cable management is big for me anyway on a personal OCD level.
>>
>>316483979
I did that just now. Barely any difference. I'm not some meat-head who does 10 push-ups every morning either.
>>
>>316483979
don't bother, it's just a shitposter trying his oh-so absolute hardest to bait for fuck knows what reason
>>
>>316483771

Nah, there's always the pro controller.

The problem is the number of games that "require" the gamepad but don't really, e.g. ZombiU and Fatal Frame 5.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.