[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
SteamOS runs up to 50% Worse than Windows 10 for gaming using
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43
File: 1429907396719.jpg (57 KB, 576x382) Image search: [Google]
1429907396719.jpg
57 KB, 576x382
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/11/ars-benchmarks-show-significant-performance-hit-for-steamos-gaming/

WHERE WHERE YOU WHEN LINUX GAMING WAS KILL
>>
File: 1447278143094.jpg (84 KB, 508x504) Image search: [Google]
1447278143094.jpg
84 KB, 508x504
>lincuϲks
>>
>>316476779
They ignore the minimum recommended requirements for a SteamOS system. Quad core CPU, GTX 750 or 900 series GPU. Its not surprising that you would see poor optimization on a system that they're not optimizing for.

Shitty ports are still a fact of life though unfortunately.
>>
Linux became a joke the moment Wine became part of any distro.
>>
>m-muh gaben le savior of pc gayming
>>
File: 1432735963001.jpg (107 KB, 580x346) Image search: [Google]
1432735963001.jpg
107 KB, 580x346
>>316477336

>But the Drivers!
>But the hardware!
>>
>>316477350
Does that mean Windows is a joke because of Cygwin?
>>
>Steam Controller is shit
>Steam Machines are overpriced Console wannabes
>SteamOS is Garbage
>Only games they make now are all focused on crappy hats and buying compendium style shit every other month for "muh pro scene"

Wtf is going on at Valve right now
>>
>he doesn't drive the hammerhead eagle i-thrust
>>
How do you say GNU? guh new?
>>
remember when gnufags were freaking out over the extra 50fps Linux gave l4d2? kek,

In all seriousness, it's probably due to unpolished drivers. The core Linux system is generally tight af.
>>
>>316477652
>Cygwin
>not MinGW

please kill yourself 2bh
>>
>>316478159
I'm a fan of valve games but all this is 100% true. I understand the urge to tell Microsoft to fuck off but linux is and never was a gaming platform.
>>
>>316476779
Tesla is equivalent to Mac. Windows would be a Hummer or some other ancient meme car.
>>
>>316478389
This is why English is such a shitty language.
>>
File: Code_Talker.jpg (127 KB, 700x400) Image search: [Google]
Code_Talker.jpg
127 KB, 700x400
>>316479257
>muh Lingua Franca
>>
>>316478159
>>316479106

They wanted a clean break from Windows platforms because they believed that the status quo in 2013 would be true for the next few years. Then fucked it up themselves while the whole "Were gonna rely on MS to fuck themselves up" strategy imploded after MS got its shit together.

Even it's VR is fucked if HTC implodes.

Gabe got arrogant, believed they could control the market and fucked up spectacularly. Steam machines launched this week. No one would fucking know because it's been barely mentioned in the press.
>>
File: 1442461850076.png (47 KB, 356x349) Image search: [Google]
1442461850076.png
47 KB, 356x349
>not using a Linux distro for your primary OS
>gaming on PC period
SteamOS was an awful idea though, hopefully instead of hemorrhaging millions on this garbage when it fails, Valve will start napkin games again lol, jk.
>>
>>316478810
You missed the point. Cygwin provides a POSIX abstraction layer for Windows just like Wine provides a Win32 one for Linux.
Mingw is a Windows native compiler.
>>
>>316479106
Without consumers on Linux, there's no reason to make better drivers or port games to it, and without games there's no reason for there to be consumers. It's a very long-term strategy. Nothing will change if it doesn't start somewhere, and Valve is the only company with the money to waste on an experiment that's also willing to see how it turns out in a decade.

You could draw parallels to Steam itself, where it was total dogshit, people hated it for a very long time, even most of Valve thought it was a waste of time while they still developed actual games, and now it's the dominant player in digital distribution.

Who knows how it will turn out, but absolutely no one expected it to be an immediate success. You can't just shake up how things have always worked and ween people off Windows overnight.
>>
>>316479142
>Tesla is equivalent to Mac.
Tesla runs Linux though.

Apple is working on their own cars. Once they're released I'm sure Apple will pretend that they're the ones who invented good electric cars.
>>
>>316480151
SteamOS 3, which is probably two years away at this point will likely solve a lot of those problems by using Wayland which can use the same drivers as Android. SteamOS will slowly move along gradually picking up speed and users, this is all aimed at five years from now when the new consoles are launching and Windows 7 is dead.
>>
>>316480151

You cant really draw the parallel, because steam did one thing good and that was creating a program to store and load games from at multiple locations. It really helped push games out of stores and into a downloadable form. Many people still complain about this for some reason and bitch because "muh internet." Realistically most everybody has internet these days and while DRM sucks cock in the way that you cant play games offline. I think the pros outweigh the cons. Having the ability to change computers and download whatever I need to instead of lugging around a bunch of physical items is really nice.
>>
>>316480151

There was nothing else like Steam at the time though. Steam could fail and fail hard because no one was challenging them. With Steam OS, they needed a reason for people to move to Linux immediately. And they blundered it. There's no room for failing when the first public release has performance problems running games compared to Windows 10. Now every mustard will just run Win10 and every normie can remove the botnet anyway.

Valve fucked up and killed Linux gaming.
>>
>>316481612
>they needed a reason for people to move to Linux immediately
No, they don't need a reason for people to move to Linux immediately. They're clearly playing a long game here. Most Windows users will be on Windows 7 for the foreseeable future, that gives Valve time to improve the experience on Linux and build the library.

Vulkan, and a Gallium/Mesa implementation on top of Vulkan will help the situation greatly.
>>
>>316476779
>almost no games coming out at launch compatible with this
>that shitty performance
>mfw some people wanted to gimp themselves with this
Seriously, why even try?
>>
>>316481964
>why even try?
Because allowing a console company to hold monopoly power over PC gaming is hugely problematic and we only have five short years before Windows as we know it is dead.
>>
>>316482314
>we only have five short years before Windows as we know it is dead.
Why is that?
>>
>>316482368
Windows 7's EOL date is in 2020.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM8qXbJqMvs
>>
>>316479652

sauce
>>
>>316481927

Linux has been playing the long game forever now. Valve fucked up. First impressions are the biggest. How can the conceivably damage control "Games run 50% Worse on SteamOS"

You can't say "Muh drivers will improve". The people still on Win 7 will go to 10.
>>
>>316484345
>Games run 50% Worse on SteamOS
Except they don't. Even with AMD drivers the difference isn't that great. My opinion of Ars dropped greatly today this is a very poorly executed set of benchmarks.
>>
>>316484603
>run same games on win 10 and steam OS
>steam OS performs terribly
>n-no the difference isn't that great, the benchmarks somehow suck!
>>
File: 1442073798490.png (50 KB, 199x207) Image search: [Google]
1442073798490.png
50 KB, 199x207
>>316483914
Idk, its from Star Vs. Try searching /aco/.
>>
>>316482662
Dang, 4 reel? So did Valve just fuck up horribly then?
>>
>>316484813
SteamOS isn't a regular distro, its meant to run games on a TV. The strange resolutions chosen for their benchmarks and their choice of hardware seems very suspect.

Its also strange to spend $200 more on the Windows system being benchmarked without giving the Linux system the same boost to the budget. A system you spend $200 more on runs better? Why would that be a surprise? Benchmarks of systems running Windows need to factor in the added cost of Windows.
>>
>ars
>relevant

Come on, they literally have an exclusive session for Apple news
>>
>>316477336
Aren't most steam machines offering worse specs than that?
>>
>>316485046
>Benchmarks of systems running Windows need to factor in the added cost of Windows.
What? That's fucking stupid
>>
>>316485128
No. Look at the three that are on sale now. The minimum is an i3 and a 750 because that's what they're optimizing for.
>>
>>316478159
Swimming in moba dollars
>>
>>316485216
Why is it stupid? You're spending $200 more on the Windows system and then complaining that the less expensive Linux system doesn't keep up.
>>
>>316485046
>$200 more on the Windows
Who the fuck has ever paid for Windows? Places just give out install disks like candy. You don't even have to pirate it just go to any semi-large company and they'll have thousands of unused licenses.
>>
>>316485349
It has the same specs
>>
>>316485435
Except in the real world a Linux system will never have the same specs as a Windows system because you can spend more on the hardware. You also have to spec your system differently due to the different driver and cpu support situation. On Linux you want an AMD64 CPU that can handle more than two threads and a 750 or 900 series Nvidia GPU because that's the only thing being optimized for.
>>
>>316481612

Valve was betting that win 10 would be a blunder of the century, even worse than 8, 100% focused on lack of user content and mobile-like interface, no freedom and microtransactions / ads to "immediatelly push people towards Linux"

It didnt fail, making steamos redundant.

The idea was good, but It failed. Time to throw the towel
>>
>>316485827
>Valve was betting
More like lying, because they pushed Steam OS a week after they trashed Win 8/10.
>>
>>316485827

Win 10 is being offered for free. Why would anyone refuse free stuff?
>>
>>316485941
Its not free, its $199 for a good version. Microsoft have said this repeatedly along with their discussion of the actions they're going to take to 'encourage' Windows 10 pirates to purchase a legitimate license. I guess nobody is paying attention to that because of their marketing bullshit. By the time you're getting constant ad popups to buy Windows 10 and reminders that your Live subscription needs to be up to date it will be too late.
>>
>>316485827
As soon as SteamOS is dropped Microsoft will be right back on locking Windows to the Windows Store.

SteamOS is Valve's insurance policy, but to keep Microsoft in check they have to make sure it remains a credible threat.
>>
>>316486235

>Its not free, its $199 for a good version.

Sure. But it's a free update for existing Windows users, which is already a good chunk of the world's population.
>>
>>316486235
Microsoft has been saying this for more than a decade, and I've yet to encounter something that will indentify that my copy of Windows is pirated.
>>
>>316476779
see >>>/g/51321884
It's improving.

Also, next year linux will have :
wayland, better drivers, vulkan, and devs will finally develop for linux instead of porting shitty DX code.

And I remind you all that steam machines are created for the living room, not to replace your computer. What are the performances compared to a PS4 or Xbox One game ?
>>
>>316486391
>free update for existing Windows users
Only for those who upgraded from a legitimate license. Everyone else, a sizeable portion of the world's population is going to start being 'encouraged' to purchase a legitimate license in the near future.

That also only applies to upgrades of existing machines. New PCs must have a new legitimate Windows 10 license. It doesn't transfer.
>>
>>316479505
>Steam machines launched this week

wait really

hahaha
>>
>>316486462
Windows 10 is unlike any previous version of Windows. It has much more spyware included that can report on your system, and it has a constant cadence of updates that cannot be permanently refused.

Unlike a console where you can keep it off of the internet, or refuse updates its going to be much harder keeping an exploitable version of Windows 10 around.
>>
>>316486598
Trusting Bohemia is like trusting Ashes benchmarks.
>>
>>316476779
>using half assed poorly optimized linux ports as benchmarks
It's almost as stupid as claiming a bad windows port makes PC's weaker than consoles.
>>
>>316486796
What stopped MS before? Most users still used automatic updates
>>
>>316486841
are there any good linux ports to begin with

no indieshit please, you won't make people move to lunix with a terraria port
>>
File: 1424816750815.png (192 KB, 283x352) Image search: [Google]
1424816750815.png
192 KB, 283x352
>>316476779
Is that Geoff?
>>
>>316485272
>Minimum is an i3

which according to the original post I replied to, is less than what is required for a Steam machine

>4 cores
>>
>>316486602
>a sizeable portion of the world's population is going to start being 'encouraged' to purchase a legitimate license in the near future
i've been hearing this meme since xp, yet we're still here running windowsloader once and that's all until next format
>>
>>316476779
>2560x1600

The fishy as fuck resolution used should be a big enough red flag to not consider these benchmarks accurate.
>>
I just wanna know if games will stay compatible with Win 7
>>
>>316485941
If some commercial product is 'free', then you're the actual product.
>>
File: rms btfo.png (208 KB, 571x613) Image search: [Google]
rms btfo.png
208 KB, 571x613
>>316487468

So if I use Linux, or free software at all I'm a product because it's free?
>>
>>316486894
>Most users still used automatic updates
No they didn't. That's what made past versions of Windows such a security nightmare. The vast majority of users, especially those running pirated copies had versions that either disabled auto-updates making them vulnerable to exploits, or were using versions that came pre-exploited.

Also in the past you could just stay on an older version of Windows if you had some kind of problem with the new version. With 10 there is no new version you're going to get whatever Microsoft decides they want you to use whether you like it or not.

Its like Arch, except instead of you deciding when you'll upgrade, Microsoft decides.
>>
>>316476779
It's funny because Tesla is open source
>>
Really, the weird thing is that a "tech website" didn't bother going to the trouble of running the benches on multiple different spec machines. It would've been interesting to see if having a beefier rig and/or parts from different manufacturers would affect the result, but no, it's apparently too much trouble.

Also, I would've thrown in 7 and 8.1 bench runs for posterity
>>
>>316487712

That's the joke
>>
File: Bill_Gates_Letter_to_Hobbyists.jpg (2 MB, 1700x2200) Image search: [Google]
Bill_Gates_Letter_to_Hobbyists.jpg
2 MB, 1700x2200
>>316487609
Linux and other free software isn't a commercial product. Though it can be part of a commercial product which could still threaten for freedoms.

I still find if funny that /v/ so vigorously defends Windows, but relentlessly attacks paid mods for the divisions they cause in the mod community. Microsoft are the original paid software makers.
>>
>>316487609
>i use linux because it's free and doesn't go all spyware on me!!
>still uses social networks, google or youtube and owns a smartphone

this is why i can't take these people seriously
>>
>>316487682
>especially those running pirated copies had versions that either disabled auto-updates making them vulnerable to exploits, or were using versions that came pre-exploited
Why would Microsoft care about those?
>No they didn't
We are talking about actual users, not corporate machines, XP is still a strong force on the market then, but MS doesn't care about those.
>>
>>316485319
>>316478159
Not so easy anymore
Dota 2 is losing people since it went F2P
also the realeased a new compendium without even finishing items that we should have get from the old compendium, also the updates are less and less every year, I have no idea on what they are even working
>>
>>316487924
>Linux and other free software isn't a commercial product.
Hahahahaha.
Open != Free
>>
>>316487932
>We are talking about actual users,
The vast majority of Windows users on their own PCs do not run automatic updates of Windows, and do not update to the latest version. Corporate machines are better than average at staying up to date because they have IT staff dedicated to running them.

>Why would Microsoft care about those?
Because Microsoft's corporate culture has always been about getting everyone running a computer to have to pay them. Windows Pirates are the last area they can expand their income from the desktop market.
>>
>>316476779
>says shill who is periodically paid off by microsoft in a report from a lab that is probably also owned by microsoft

Why is this news?
>>
>>316487964
>Dota 2 is losing people since it went F2P
it was always f2p, you could literally google beta codes

>>316488183
>Open != Free
just because you use electricity to keep the pc on while downloading it it doesn't mean it isn't free
>>
>>316488420
>OpenSource = Free
Ahahaha, literally retard.
>>
>>316487964
>Dota 2 has been losing players ever since it went F2P
>losing players
>went F2P

?
>>
>>316488349
>The vast majority of Windows users on their own PCs do not run automatic updates of Windows, and do not update to the latest version.
only the latter is true, unless windows ships with automatic updates off, most of users never bother turning them off or even aknowledge they happen
>>
>>316488458
downloading the source code or complied binaries is free, prove me wrong
>>
>>316488183
Linux is open source, but it is also Free Software.
Free Software does not necessarily imply that it is offered for $0, but it does make it very difficult for a company to impose unnecessary restrictions like running this new version of the OS requires accepting that you will also run this spyware.

As with Ubuntu's Amazon spyware, its only one version of Ubuntu that includes it. All of the Ubuntu spins other than the main Unity version like Ubuntu Gnome and Kubuntu are spyware free.
>>
>>316488587
>Free Software does not necessarily imply that it is offered for $0
>literally retard.
>>
>>316488587
>All of the Ubuntu spins other than the main Unity version like Ubuntu Gnome and Kubuntu are spyware free.
did you check the source or you're trusting people that have literally no reason to lie to you :^)?
>>
>>316488569
>downloading windows 10 from torrents is free, prove me wrong
>>
>>316478159
I don't know why any of you expected anything at all from them.

Their entire history of achievements is that they made two decent games, jacked a bunch of mods from people and called them games, and have sales.

Their interface is total trash and they've never ever finished anything within a reasonable amount of time and it's usually half assed.

There was never any reason to believe that Valve was capable of putting out a quality product.

The only reason anyone even cares about them is because of the massive sales they have on games and how they keep it all in one library for you which is the most basic of coding.

Valve is just about as useless as the rest of the cocksucking game world.
>>
>>316488695
Stay out of the conversation if you have no idea what you're talking about
>>
>>316488489
In the past Microsoft have limited auto-updates to what are largely bug fixes. Now Microsoft frequently push new unwanted software through that channel like their attempt to infect Windows 7 systems with their updated spyware and Windows 10 advertisements.

If you're running 7 you can disable those updates and remove them. If you're running 10 you no longer have any choice. You will run exactly what Microsoft wants you to run and you have no say in the matter.
>>
>>316488791
if you're so smart tell me how linux costs me, go ahead :)
>>
>>316488769
I read every line of source code, just like I read every line in every legal agreement I click OK for.

I also keep tabs on the traffic my system sends back out to the world. Unlike a Windows 10 system there are no multi-megabyte uploads of unknown encrypted binary data that I haven't initiated.
>>
Microsoft has a history of paying off AMD/Nvidia to neglect open source drivers as well as OpenGL.

The fact that Linux can run any AAA game is a testament to the good nature of human beings willing to take time to break down Microsoft's monopoly that every pcunt unknowingly supports.

Gaben and Valve are trying to take the PC gaming monopoly away from Microsoft.

>gaming on a machine with windows installed
>gaming on an xbox
Vidya cancer tier

>playing on PS4
>playing PC games with Linux only
God tier
>>
>>316488695

>what is RHEL/SLED/Parted Magic/whatever
>>
>>316489121
>Microsoft has a history of paying off AMD/Nvidia to neglect open source drivers as well as OpenGL.
that's stupid, AMD doesn't release drivers already for free
>>
>>316489121
>The fact that Linux can run any AAA game
doubt.jpg
>>
>>316489415
meant to say "any AAA game at all"
>>
>>316489121

>AMD
>Drivers

Nice try
>>
>>316489314
Unlike Nvidia AMD has separate codebases for Linux and Widnows. AMD has been valuing their Linux drivers slightly more recently. They just released an update for their Linux AMDGPU driver that makes it about 5x faster.
>>
>>316487468

There is nothing wrong with it.
>>
>>316484938
at the very least they could have taken the installer from ubuntu and made it easy to dual boot
>>
File: 1439883542631.png (67 KB, 181x201) Image search: [Google]
1439883542631.png
67 KB, 181x201
>>316476779
10/10 image
>>
>>316491095
>made it easy to dual boot
That's not what Valve was going for. If you want to dual boot a Linux OS just use Ubuntu. Though a lot of the difficulty with dual booting comes from Microsoft's love of wiping out bootloaders other than their own which of course has no capability to detect or boot any OS but their own.

Its better today to only ever install Windows in a virtual machine with its own graphics card. Solves most of the problems with Windows.
>>
>>316488984

Fuck that, I don't have enough time to do that, plus I really don't care if some random dude looking at some random files notices that an IP address looked up some chubby porn. My ISP already knows everything I search for so it literally makes no difference.

If I was doing something illegal like hiring a hitman than yeah I could be a little worried about my traffic.
>>
>>316479142
>Windows would be a Hummer or some other ancient meme car.

Except Windows is still around so it's more like every mid-size or even compact sedan ever.
>>
>>316493028
who the fuck hires hitmen over the internet? is there some kinda hitman yelp or something
>>
>>316493028
I think you might have missed some sarcasm.
>>
>>316476779
>Ars Technica
>literally Microshills United

cool story, report back when you have a real review
>>
>>316493685
It's sometimes hard to tell linux shills and sarcastic people apart.
>>
>>316478159
Gaben is been losing weight
>>
>>316478389
>>
File: linux_desktop_meme.png (99 KB, 450x346) Image search: [Google]
linux_desktop_meme.png
99 KB, 450x346
WE MAY HAVE FAILED THIS YEAR BUT SURELY THE NEXT ONE WILL BE BETTER
>>
>>316493454

How else do people find hitmen? I don't think they are in the yellow pages.
>>
>>316493685
Reading back on it I can see how it could've been sarcastic, but
>>316494324 is right, I couldn't tell the difference.
>>
>>316478389
Like Captain Ginyu
>>
>>316495626
AMD just dropped a set of patches for Linux that amount to about 35000 lines. No normal user is going to read that. What average users are going to pay attention to is that those patches, which won't be shipped as part of a kernel until March of next year increase the performance of some of AMD's newest open source drivers significantly. We're talking on the order of 3-5 times faster.
>>
>>316479106
>is and never was

You mean isn't and never will be

faggot
>>
>>316486796
Bullshit. There are tons of kms activators and there are tons of windows 7 activators. Once you update from a pirate 7 to 10, you have now a 100% copy of w10.

>to be much harder keeping an exploitable version of Windows 10 around.
The pirated version is working and will keep working. Wanna know why? because if you are pirating, you are not pirating the shitty pro version. You are pirating the enterprise edition so you can disable telemetry.

I dont know if you are a gnudrone a valvedrone or both.
>>
>>316495531
Go to your closest guetto.
Find a drug dealer
Pay him for the info of where to find a himan.
Contact him.
Hope you dont get murdered in the process
>>
>>316489121
>ps4
>sony bribing devs to lock games to a console that cant run them at over 25 fps
>pay for online in a p2p system
>god tier

Yeah,no.
>>
SteamOS is doomed to failure. Sure, it can play a bunch of games made in the last three years, but what a nightmare it must be to get older games to work.
>>
>>316496542
>100% copy of w10.
Until the next update of the protections perhaps.
Microsoft went the way they did with 10 specifically so they could defeat many of the methods used to pirate Windows in the past.

>You are pirating the enterprise edition so you can disable telemetry.
>disable telemetry
You can't disable the spyware completely, even on Enterprise, some of it is in the kernel.
>>
>>316496893
No retard. The pirated version is the w7 one. Once you update you get a personalized UEFI license. That UEFI license is original. And its stored on their servers.
>>
>>316496851
Its actually easier to get older games to work. The porting tools for DX9 are actually more mature at the moment, and as for even older games even on Windows many of them now are run with compatibility software originally built to run them on Linux.

Recent major updates of older titles like the one for KotOR 2 came out of a company whose primary business is porting games to UNIX based OSes like SteamOS. For long term preservation Linux support is one of the best things to add.
>>
>>316497040
Those two licenses are linked, and that link is stored on Microsoft's servers. They've likely already flagged you as a pirate, but they're waiting to close the trap.
>>
>>316496851
Funnily enough in some cases Linux is way way way way better for old games.

Like try getting Blood Omen working on Win 7+. It's a nightmare. Meanwhile on Linux you can just download wine, double click the icon, then play without issues.
>>
File: 370-vs-760-fallout3-wine.png (15 KB, 605x340) Image search: [Google]
370-vs-760-fallout3-wine.png
15 KB, 605x340
>>316497403
A few more years and Wine will be like DOSbox, used to run legacy games even on Microsoft's own platforms. Re-basing their wrappers on Vulkan will really help as it should provide speed like you can only get currently with RadeonSI and Gallium Nine.
>>
>>316496067

Just have to wait and see if that statement holds up.
I haven't seen a promised delivered upon in years.

>ps4 Will do 1080p60fps guys we swear!
>>
>>316496594

Yelp and craigslist seems much easier.
>>
>>316498675
This has been a big year so far for AMD keeping promises on Linux. First we got OpenGL 4.x support with Mesa, then we got AMDGPU reclocking support, if they get a Vulkan driver out before the end of the year they'll be 3 for 3.
>>
>>316485816
I feel that the extra 200 spent is completely irrelevant since both specs are identical and the only difference is the OS which is the point of the article. Though you do make a fine point about the tested resolutions
>>
>>316487929
You're making baseless assumptions
>>
>>316500805
Its like if you're going to have a desktop Windows 7 build vs a desktop Linux build the hardware that will run best on both platforms is different.

Choosing the Pentium was going to favor Windows because DirectX has precompiled HLSL shaders, while Linux with OpenGL has to compile GLSL shaders from source. That compilation can happen on a different thread, but if you only have support for two threads that's going to bog you down.
>>
>>316501464

I think that the best way to test would to just get the steam machines and dual boot Windows on them. I'm sure within the next few weeks we will see this happen and get some better tests.

In theory if sOS does show better performance it would be minimal, since bloat from the Windows processes can only hog so much resources.
>>
File: 0546-01.png (10 KB, 511x298) Image search: [Google]
0546-01.png
10 KB, 511x298
OpenGL is worse than DirectX at first
>>
>>316502386
>dual boot Windows on them
No, as I explained there are different concerns when you build a Windows machine vs a Linux machine. The best thing to do is have two separate builds with the same budget for all hardware and software each with hardware chosen to optimize the experience for their given platform.

When you build a system for Windows and then test it with Linux you're going to get the kinds of major performance problems that Ars got.
>>
>>316502810

The whole point of testing though is to eliminate as many variables as possible. If you had two completely different hardware set ups, then you would have 0 idea if it was the OS or different hardware that's causing the results. You have to use exact components on each to make your test stand against scrutiny.

Nowb if you use 2 builds made using the same budget, one created with Linux in mind and the other with Windows in mind, then test the OS's on both, then you could call it a valid test I suppose.
>>
File: pb9e.jpg (45 KB, 451x392) Image search: [Google]
pb9e.jpg
45 KB, 451x392
valvedrones on suicide watch
>>
>>316503221
You would also then need to test on both platforms with APIs available on both.
Really until Vulkan is released SteamOS and the games are using it instead of their current OpenGL back ends its always going to be at a disadvantage.

Though you might get some unexpected results like Linux's Open Source driver sometimes being faster than Catalyst.
>>
>>316503631
Is there even any Valve drones here left?
>>
>>316503762
Of course there are. Most people on this board use this steam malware.
>>
>>316504013
Well. Yeah. There are many steam users but I haven't really seen any drones in ages.

I fucking hate Google and Microsoft but I'm still using Android, Youtube, Windows and Skype because there are no good alternatives.
>>
>>316504213
>I haven't really seen any drones in ages.
There were loads of people defending the paying mod bullshit. Even when valve crosses the line, people defend them.
>>
>>316504479
That was months ago though.
>>
people think valve spent money on this?

They just customized their own fork of ubuntu and had it boot into steam.
>>
>>316505031
>ubuntu
You mean Debian.

Also.
>customize a distro to be used primarily for Steam OS
>slap Gnome on it, one of the most resource heavy DE's
>>
But I thought ganoox was super duper better than MICRO$HIT FAILDOWS, that it used no ressource so everything runs better and opengl is the superior choice over DirectShit. What happened ?
>>
>>316476779
How many of you fegits can't see parallel with Android?
Give OEM free OS and get money from in-OS store.
And android has 85%+ of worldwide market share.
What makes you think same shit won't happen with Steam Machines?
>>
>>316476779
>Valve shit
>making anything of use or importance after 2007
They are all just a bunch of hicks getting paid by that lardass jew pig to do fuckall 5 days a week, because Steam has the license to print money.
>>
>>316505440
>What makes you think same shit won't happen with Steam Machines?
Because it is fucking garbage and nobody will ever use it despite being free.
>>
>>316478737
In all seriousness, it probably has absolutely nothing to do with the drivers, and everything to do with crappy ports of Windows games that were never designed for OpenGL or portability. Sometimes people even used Wine-based compatibility layers instead of actually porting their game.

None of this is Linux's fault. Nvidia's Linux driver works as good or better than Windows, it beats it in OpenGL benchmarks. The problem isn't the driver, it's the bad game developers.
>>
File: 1446984687706.jpg (105 KB, 610x475) Image search: [Google]
1446984687706.jpg
105 KB, 610x475
>>316476779

Was in my bed. Tired.
>>
>>316504479
stupid people != drones
>>
File: 1447272087714.png (411 KB, 800x967) Image search: [Google]
1447272087714.png
411 KB, 800x967
Steam machines are overpriced prebuilt garbage, steam controller is a piece of shit and you can clearly see people are trying to rationalize their purchase so they don't realize they're retards and now steamOS, just a modded linux, is complete trash.
>>
>>316505532

not that dude, but this is literally the exact same shit people said about android and steam when they were new
>>
>>316505832
Except smartphones were a new market. MS owns the OS market.
>>
It had to happen this way. Video games are for children and Linux fundamentally is not.
>>
>>316505909
Android and iOS are operating systems.
>>
>>316505732
>Linux and open source are the future of gaming
>Steam is still fucking closed source and works like shit on Linux
>>
>>316505732
>steam controller is a piece of shit

idk i like mine. I didn't buy a steam box though they're useless to me.
>>
>>316506119
android is a mobile os which is a different world and ios has just a bigger name than market share
>>
>>316506323
>android is a mobile os which is a different world
In what way? It runs on a fuckload of tablets and shit. Hell, it runs on pretty much everything these days.
>>
>>316505909
Smartphones were market that had to rival with feature phones.
Also iPhone was the one normies considered "the smartphone" because Steve told them so.
So Android really didn't have any hype or market oppurtunities to begin with.

But that is exactly the problem I see with Steam Machines currently: not enough OEMs on board.
Valve has to get some cheap Koreans to start producing poorfag-affordable Steam Machine.
>>
>>316506323
Doesn't matter, it's an operating system,

You can't make claims like "MS owns the OS market", because they don't.

You can make claims like "MS takes up the majority of desktop OS usage share".

If you look at the operating systems that run servers, super computers, embedded systems, and mobile devices, Windows is not the majority in any of them. Most of those have Linux, BSD, or some form of Unix running them.
>>
>>316478159
The controller is pretty good m8
>>
>>316489121
>WAAAAAAAAAAAAH MICRO$SOFT IS EVIL
>BUY A PLAYSTATION AND REMEMBER TO PAY THE ONLINE FEE COME ON GUYS YOU NEED TO HELP SONY OUT
>>
>>316507154
But anon M$ is evil.
>>
>>316507290
Every company is evil
>>
>>316507549
Yes but M$ is the evil leader.
>>
>>316508326
Why
Give me reasons
>>
>>316508747
Who control the computers controls the earth.
>>
>>316476779
Holy shit Linux keks blown the FUCK out.
>>
File: bait_taken.png (54 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
bait_taken.png
54 KB, 625x626
>>316505732
Nice opinion you have there.
Too bad it's wrong.
>>
>>316476779
>LINUX WILL KILL WINDOWS IN A FEW YEARS
>THIS IS THE FIRST STEP TO OPEN SOURCE FUTURE

All the Linuxfags are so quiet now..
>>
>>316485046
>Its also strange to spend $200 more on the Windows system being benchmarked
Why are you trying so hard to move the goalposts?

Also, who the fucks buys windows these days? It's either bundled and included in the cost of the OEM or people who build their own PCs just pirate it.
>>
>>316509647
>people who build their own PCs just pirate it
When I will build my own PC I will buy Windows. I don't want a shitty OEM.
>>
Remember to install your free™ copy of Windows™ 10™ to get the latest™ and greatest™ games™!
>>
>only defense fedoracore nerds have now is b-but Windows costs too much!

Is it safe to say that Linux users are the console keks of the PC?
>>
>>316509925
Hm, well you've got a point, it's free AND you get the latest and greatest games.

Why would anyone use Linux again?
>>
>arstechnica

That's a well-known shill site m8.
>>
>Steam machines get announced
>Drones flock to it saying it'll bridge the gap between normies who want a good PC and actual enthusiasts
>Steam machines turn out to be overpriced garbage that's somehow more cancerous than Alienware

>SteamOS gets announced
>Linux drones flock to it saying this is the first step in killing Windows/M$ and how everything will run better on an open source platform
>Turns out SteamOS actually runs software/games significantly worse than Windows even when overpriced

So what's left for Valve? At this point, I can only see them sweeping it under the rug and pretending these things don't exist. Sort of like Google Glasses.
>>
>>316510195
>being MS equivalent to Todd Howard
why do you hate yourself?
>>
>>316510074
>>only defense fedoracore nerds have now is b-but Windows costs too much!
Too true.

I wonder if 5 years from now they'll still claim that Linux is going to kill Windows? Or will they add another 5 years onto that claim?
>>
>>316508981
They don't control computers
They make an OS dude
Get your head out of your ass
>>
>>316488984
You have not read what is literally tens of millions of lines of code. Stop lying.
>>
>>316510556
Dude, 2020 is THE YEAR OF LINUX
You'll fucking see
>>
That's what you get for trying to use the OS designed for workstations to play games. Really, Linux is great for many things, but multimedia aren't it's strongest point.

Also, GNU GPL is bigger cancer than surveilance by MS.
>>
>>316510561
With the OS they control computers. Are you dumb?
>>
>>316479848

Speak English doc, we Ain't scientists.
>>
>>316476779
but is it part of a OS level botnet?
>>
>>316510832
Tell me how they're controlling your computer
>>
>>316510916
They control the OS that control your computer. I repeat the question. Are you dumb?
>>
File: DX12-4xMSAA.png (12 KB, 598x519) Image search: [Google]
DX12-4xMSAA.png
12 KB, 598x519
>>316510357
Good point. They shilled AMD DX12 benchmarks in an AMD Gaming Evolved game. Here are some real ones.
>>
File: windows 10.jpg (1 MB, 3297x3319) Image search: [Google]
windows 10.jpg
1 MB, 3297x3319
>>316510916
>>
File: Selection_008.png (31 KB, 887x222) Image search: [Google]
Selection_008.png
31 KB, 887x222
>arstechnica
>>
>>316476779
>steamOS
Enjoy your botnet desu senpai
>>
>>316510468
Hey, you're the one that said it first. I was merely agreeing with your factual statement.
>>
>>316510835
That was completely understandable English.
Not knowing shit about computers is problem on your side.
>>
>>316478159
Steam machine
Is that even out yet?
>>
>>316511005
That doesn't mean anything you retard
They make the OS, they don't literally control you computer
Read a book

>>316511082
>OH NO, MS HAS AUTOMATIC BUG REPORTING THE WORLD IS OVER
>>
>>316511106
Cool story

https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/
>>
>>316511108
>Enjoy your botnet desu senpai

SteamOS is FOSS software except for graphical drivers and Steam.

It's by far much less "botnet" than the Windows computer you're probably using right now.
>>
>>316510882
I wonder how many backdoors were injected by NSA into Linux kernel and core utils by many innocent and completely unrelated commits... Shellshock and Heartbleed are only a tip of an iceberg.
>>
All the BS aside, lets break things down.

Windows dominates the current gaming market, for better or worse. This is a non-debatable fact whether you like Windows or not.

Most major graphics card companies work primarily around Windows. This too is fact, for better or worse.

Most AAA games and many indie games are developed with Windows in mind and are ported as an afterthought. This isn't always true but its the general rule.

All this considered, why would I ever buy a steam machine? What does it do that my Windows machine can't do, or not do as well? Why did Valve think ANYONE would switch to one of these when Windows is already so firmly entrenched?
>>
>>316511082
I remember when some crossboarder tried to shitpost these images on /g/, they just got laughed out and the thread 404'd.
>>
>>316511215
>OH NO, MS HAS AUTOMATIC BUG REPORTING THE WORLD IS OVER

You either didn't read the image or you're retarded. It's probably both.
>>
>>316511215
You don't really know jack shit about computers, do you?
>>
I have a pirated copy of w7. Should I go ahead and upgrade to w10? I heard alot of shit about it so i've been putting it off.
>>
>>316511127
Not actually ™ post guy, but it seems you agreed with his sarcastic statement.
You don't see anything wrong with that?
>>
>>316511240
>here install this botnet to get rid of a botnet
>>
>>316511026

Almost every single one of their benchmarks is tricked in order to boost their current partner. It's less reliable than fucking Kotaku.
>>
>>316511207
Yes, you can buy it in the same store as Smartphone or Laptop.
>>
>>316511215
They control the OS. You don't even know how it works. Have you the proof that windows is not a massive troyan? I repeat the question. Are you dumb?
>>
>>316511437
>not being old enough to have used spybot in the past

4chan is an 18+ website, friend.
>>
>>316511418
Most of those images aren't even in Windows 10, they're from the preview
You'd know that if you actually checked sources instead of spewing /g/ memes
>>
>>316511338
>All this considered, why would I ever buy a steam machine?
It was supposed to be for normies to get into buying 'gaming PCs'.

Unfortunately, GabeN forgot that Alienware already has this market on lockdown. Not only do Steam machines offer shittier specs, but they're priced very similarly. Why would a normie get this over something like ibuypower/alienware/cyberpower?
>>
>>316511431
So you're telling me if someone sarcastically stated that grass is green and I agreed, there should be a problem with that? I don't follow.
>>
>>316511437
>Not knowing what spybot is

Truly, I feel old.
>>
>>316511314
>he doesn't know that spyfags really tried to put some nasty shit inside Kernel, but it got discovered almost instantly
>>
>>316511560
Fuck, can we stop talking about normies? The fact that anyone gives money to any of the companies you listed makes my skin crawl. How fucking stupid do you have to be?
>>
>>316511540
Explain how they control the OS
Are they literally moving your mouse for you can making you shitpost?
Do you have proof that Windows is a massive trojan?
>>
>>316495902
TOKUSENTAI
>>
Why do so many people here on /v/ keep gagging on windows cock are they paid shills or something? Its truly pathetic if they are doing it for free.
>>
>>316511669
>normies

Back to Reddit you go
>>
>>316511703
OK you're dumb. I have my answer.
>>
>>316511878
I'm not the one who brought them up.
>>
>>316511857
Why do so many people here on /v/ keep gagging on Linux cock are they paid shills or something? Its truly pathetic if they are doing it for free.
>>
File: images.jpg (6 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6 KB, 225x225
>>316478810
>MinGW
enjoy your broken bash
>>
>>316511703
>several pieces of proof already posted in thread
>a simple google search will turn up 100s more
>better just ignore it so i can keep shitposting

y tho?
>>
>>316512032
Have you ever tried to develop on this Godforsaken piece of shit OS while playing by the rules? Have you ever used VS? Or the command shell?
>>
>people are surprised when a closed system that really only has application in older games are optimized for a certain engine.
>people are surprised when devs have no idea how to optimize for linux
>>
>>316511668
>all of it
Surely you jest. there are dark places in the linux kernel

Also, it's quite funny how Windows got to be as secure as Linux. And miles ahead of OS X, which only now turns to be just open to every hacker that wants to go in.
>>
>>316512058
There's no "proof" you're just posting a single bait image and saying
>Huur microsoft bad
>>
>>316511649
nice try
Difference between "grass is green" and ™ post is that one of those is wrong. I'll let you figure out which one.
I'll let
>>
>>316512229
No, there's no proof you're willing to accept, because you don't want to admit you're wrong and don't really know what you're talking about. This is quite different from there being no proof.

Also, I haven't posted any images in this thread.
>>
>>316512259
Before you explain that one to me, you're going to have to explain the previous one to me because your logic appears to be broken.
>>
File: 1446690788231.jpg (22 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1446690788231.jpg
22 KB, 480x360
Linuxfags ITT literally in tears
>>
>>316511985
We actually do it for free.
>>
>there are people on /v/ right now that defend windows invasion of privacy because of muh gaymes
>>
>>316512353
Show me the proof
Where's the proof
>>
Valve is dead. After L4D3 they won't be a game dev but a seller.
>>
>>316511314
None because the Linux kernel and core utils are open source software and every commit is reviewed a community of people, they don't just allow anyone to commit anything they want.

Shellshock and Heartbleed were bugs that could be exploited, not backdoors.

>>316511338
>Most major graphics card companies work primarily around Windows. This too is fact, for better or worse.

Nvidia's propreitary driver shares much of the same code as the Windows one. They're on par with eachother and they put equal or similar effort into both drivers. Linux desktop/gaming usage is just one thing compared to their markets for Linux workstation, high-performance GPU computing, and things like Nvidia Sheild.

>Most AAA games and many indie games are developed with Windows in mind and are ported as an afterthought.

Hopefully this will change once the game engines they make these games with support Linux more, which is happening with major engines like Unreal.

>>316511342
/g/ is just as cancerous as /v/ so I'm not surprised.

There has to be some kind of term for the psychological phenomena where someone uses something, and therefore they completely shut out any negative aspects of it, and completely deny them, because it for some reason hurts them. Like you can show people things Microsoft does, and no one in their right mind would like these things, but for some people their reaction is to get personally insulted, put their hands over their ears and go "LA LA LA I can't hear you", and start talking shit about something else.

Yeah you might use Windows, but why is it so hard for you to accept everything wrong with them? You know FOSS is a good thing that results in software that is better and more ethical for users compared to proprietary software, yet for some reason people WANT it to fail and they actively despise it.
>>
>Kyle Orland
I knew that name sounded familiar

http://techraptor.net/content/secret-game-journalist-mailing-list-gamejournopros-exposed
>>
>>316512508
Can we start with any one of the hundreds of news articles written on the subject in roughly the last six months?

Or maybe we could discuss the slightly more recent decision for Microsoft to backport its privacy-invading features into previous versions of Windows?

Really, there's a ton. What would you like to discuss?
>>
Well Rome wasn't built in a day.

Things can only get better from here on in. More game installation on linux platforms means more testing and development on linux platforms. This goes for both the games and drivers.

Props to Gaben for at least trying.
>>
>>316512671
So you're not going to show it?
You said it was posted
>>
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/11/02/microsoft-confirms-unstoppable-windows-10-tracking/

>not a botnet
>>
>>316512135
You know you can have the best of both worlds.
You can cross compile from a cygwin host targeting the mingw platform.
>>
>>316512742
Oh, you meant in this thread specifically? Okay, my bad.

>>316511082
>>
>>316512894
See
>>316511548
>>
>Only get 20% of games
>Games run 50% worse
truly the future of video games
>>
>>316513004
see
>>316512801
>>
>>316511548
>Most of those images aren't even in Windows 10, they're from the preview

This isn't true, they're in the final releases of Windows 10.
>>
>>316512801
Easy fix.

https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/

Works for 7, 8 and 10, which are all part of the botnet. I hope people aren't still using Vista or XP.
>>
File: 4_7.jpg (42 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
4_7.jpg
42 KB, 600x338
>be 2012
>Gaben gets up from bed and fires up his gaming pc
>checks news
>windows 8 released
>Gaben has a geez at the new operating system
>Gaben gasps in shock
>He realises that the industry is moving away from desktops and laptops to smart phones and tablets
>Goes to Valve begins a revolution
>Steam Machines

Three years later...
>be 2015
>Steam Machines released
>everyone criticizes the product
>call it worthless, say it'll never work

Five years later...
>be 2020
>you cant buy desktops or laptops anymore
>just smart phones and tablets
>but you can still build pcs because companies like Asus and Gigabyte survived because of Steam Machines
>Everyone is cheering
>Gabens Face When
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.