[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Fairy Fencer F and Neptunia games actually good beneath the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 4
File: header.jpg (66 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
66 KB, 460x215
Is Fairy Fencer F and Neptunia games actually good beneath the cute weab shit?

I always see it on sale on Steam and I'm always tempted to buy it and try it out.
>>
Nep is crap.
Fencer is decent.
>>
>>316453961
Nope. They are truly bottom of the barrel trash.
>>
Why don't you try them out yourself?
>>
No. They're trash. Don't support them.
>>
>>316453961
Fencer is less annoying due to less memes. But it's still rather meh.
>>
>>316453961
Fairy Fencer is decent. Omega Quintet (assuming it eventually hits PC) is actually good. Neptunia games range from horrible (the original game) to mediocre (the first few sequels) to decent (the remakes).
>>
>>316454398
>>316454618

The steam reviews for these games are always 90%+ lol
>>
>>316454812
You have to understand that these games came out at a time when Steam was starved for jrpgs. As a result you have these slaves who will lap up anything that bears the mark of their Japanese slave master.
>>
>>316454812
They're nowhere near that good. Omega Quintet is by far the best and that's a 7 out of 10 at most.
>>
>>316453961
No, absolutely not. The gameplay is absolutely abysmal, they have nothing going for them outside the cute girls. The cute girls are also pretty shallow so you have to be a pretty hardcore moe pig to put up with that too.
>>
>>316454812
Fairy Fencer F is a traditional JRPG. The Final Fantasy series has long strayed away from the formula, so it feels refreshing seeing a party again.
>>
They're all kusoge but it's a type of kusoge that can resonate with some people very well.
You won't know until you try.
>>
>>316454812
>>316454891
The reason you get games like Neptunia having 90% positive reviews isn't because of any actual mark of quality, it's because the only people who buy them are people who are going to enjoy them no matter what, and they usually don't care at all about the gameplay.
Just look at the top reviews for any Compile Heart product and see how little they actually discuss the gameplay instead of just being "nep / nep would nep again" or "cute girls made my disk hard 10/10".
>>
I don't know about Fairy Fencer, but Neptunia is pure trash.
>>
File: nepshit.png (87 KB, 642x779) Image search: [Google]
nepshit.png
87 KB, 642x779
>>316455208
This.
I mean, look at these shits.
>>
>>316455438
It's Steam. Most reviews are "ironic" sho funneh crap.
>>
>>316455537
That's my point.
>>
>>316455537
It's improved since they added the funny button but it's still a plague. There's also the matter of negative reviews being naturally pushed down as rabid fans all downvote them for disagreeing.

>Make a bunch of shit joke reviews
>All get voted as helpful, worst one is around 60%
>Make some serious, detailed, analytical reviews
>Get only a small handful of votes and they're always below 50%
Really, why bother?
>>
Is Advent Force F coming to PC too?
>>
>>316455685
>why bother?
I don't know why you would, honestly. It's shitty, but probably never going to change.
>>
>>316455759
Not for a long time, if it does at all. It needs to come to the west first and then maybe IFI could port it. CH is sure not gonna give a shit.

2017, if at all.
>>
>>316455685

The funny button I think only made people feel justified in posting 10/10 would shit up reviews agains.

That and allowing a "review" to consist of a single youtube embed for wannabe ecelebs to whore themselves with, are both things that need to go.
>>
>>316453961
>Is Fairy Fencer F and Neptunia games actually good beneath the cute weab shit?
No.
But if you compare FFF with Neptunia, personally i think that FFF was better.
Still shit if compared to average JRPG though.
>>
>>316455438
>221 hours

how?
>>
>>316457681
It's a grindan RPG. How is that surprising?
>>
>>316454383
They are the same thing, the only reason you would like FFF and dislike nep is if you were scared about playing a game with only little girls in it
>>
>>316455208
>it's because the only people who buy them are people who are going to enjoy them no matter what
I don't see anything wrong with it, in fact you make it sound "HOW DARE THEY ENJOY THIS"
>>
>>316458557
Maybe you should've finished reading the sentence first.
>>
>>316458597
It doesn't really change anything, it's not like people have to enjoy every single part of a game, pretty sure there are games were the gameplay is pretty much ignored because the other things are good/enjoyable. So again, this sounds like the typical "HOW DARE THEY ENJOY THIS" shit I see on /v/ every day
>>
File: ee2f6a74ac46304f2f3404eb47325c3d.jpg (186 KB, 1152x1080) Image search: [Google]
ee2f6a74ac46304f2f3404eb47325c3d.jpg
186 KB, 1152x1080
You need to be a certain kind of person to enjoy Neptunia, they're very niche games but they fill that niche well. Re;Birth1 is probably the best game in the series so give it a go and refund it if you don't like it.

Nep 2 has one of the most fucked up bad ends I've ever seen
>>
The Neptunia games - the Rebirth series specifically since those are what I've played - are, well, decent. They're clearly low-budget with copy-pasted environments, the writing is hit or miss, and postgame is a giant grindfest with little reward. But they are decently enjoyable if you just want a cutesy, easily-digestible JRPG that you can sink a couple dozen hours into and have an alright time. With that said there are plenty of better JRPGs on PC, even ignoring emulation, so I wouldn't strongly recommend it.

I can't speak for Fairy Fencer F because I don't want to buy the original version knowing that Advent Dark Force is coming.
>>
>>316458798
> pretty sure there are games were the gameplay is pretty much ignored because the other things are good/enjoyable
That does make them bad games though.
And as has already been stated, the writing in Neptunia sucks dick and the characters are shallow moeblobs, so it's only enjoyed by hardcore waifufags in the first place.
>>
>>316453961
I played for about 5 hours. It's literally nepnep reskinned.

I don't mind the MC as much as some people here. I'll admit I giggled like a fucking faggot a bit.

The graphics are a lot better than the older neps.

Gameplay is nothing special.
>>
>>316458905
>one part of the game is bad so everything is shit
Well, what should I expect from /v/
> the writing in Neptunia sucks dick and the characters are shallow moeblobs
This is an opinion, not an absolute statement
How about we leave it a this, you don't like them, many people don't, I like them and many other people do
>>
>>316459157
>I like this game so no one can't say anything bad about it
Well, what should I expect from /v/
>>
>>316459273
So I guess Witcher is utter shit because of clunky combat
Thanks for making it clear
>>
>>316453961
Neptunia is objectively bad, but for many people it's the type of game you have fun with even knowing that it's bad. If you like cute anime girls and vidya references then you'll probably enjoy the game's presentation. Even if it isn't great gameplay-wise, the game knows exactly who its audience is and panders to them perfectly. Also apparently the Re;birth games make the gameplay at least acceptable.

Can't speak for Fairy Fencer F.
>>
>>316459602
So, you're saying that they ironically enjoy the game for being a bad game but unironically enjoy the cute girls for being cute girls?
>>
>>316459748
Yes
there is nothing wrong with that
>>
>>316459794
I know
>>
>>316459748
I unironically enjoy the game

It's fun trying to lure enemies together so you can hit them all with a super attack
>>
>>316459157
>>one part of the game is bad so everything is shit
No, dumbass, it's "the gameplay is bad, so that makes it a bad game". What part of this is hard to understand?
>>
File: 52968140_p0.jpg (616 KB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
52968140_p0.jpg
616 KB, 750x1000
>>
>>316460161
>>316459378
>>
>>316460151

I also enjoy the games.

I'm not the world's biggest fan of the series but the ReBirth games are fun enough to be worth a playthrough. Combat's not amazingly strategic but it is satisfying. My only big annoyance with the gameplay is that it goes full-on grindan gaem in postgame, and it's honestly not very good at that. Compared to other grindan gaems it's not rewarding enough to justify the effort and it's not fun to learn to exploit the systems.

The original HDN is pure unadulterated trash in every possible way from a gameplay perspective though. Fuck that game.
>>
>>316460489
I played through HDN just to see how different it was and it really was shockingly bad in every aspect, I can't understand how it managed to spawn so many sequels and spinoffs.
>>
>>316459378
>>316460236
The Witcher has shit combat, yeah. Pretty much every agrees on that.
But there's more to the Witcher's gameplay than just the combat, and I hear that that's good (I wouldn't know, because I dropped it due to the combat being so shit).
Neptunia on the other hand is utter shit in every single gameplay department. Combat is shit because it's easy, mindless, and focused on grinding, and every single battle is nothing but hitting as many enemies as can fit in your attack range at once with break attacks until their guard gauge is empty and then unleashing power attacks on them (if mooks) or EXEs (if a boss). There is never any variation on this, and there's never any part of the game that calls for it.
The field gameplay is shit because of wonky hitboxes (due to every character having the same hitbox for different animations and models), and exploring the fields is a tedious chore because of the endless reuse of assets and maps, and the gathering points being mere question marks (and you also have no way to know what items are in which field since that info isn't provided to you in-game, unlike with the enemy drops in the bestiary).
The crafting system is utter shit because you have to grind endless items that you don't know where to get them (if a field drop) or you need to scan through the bestiary to find them (if an enemy drop). The plan system is shit because 90% of the gameplay-affecting plans are literally just plans to make basic actions less tedious and they have attached descriptions saying "we added this because this gameplay element was tedious and now you don't need to bother with it", and the rest of the plans are just opening new areas with reused assets and changing the item pools in them.
Towns are fucking worthless because they're just shitty menus and so is the entire world map.

There is nothing good about Neptunia's gameplay.
>>
>>316460542
>I can't understand how it managed to spawn so many sequels and spinoffs.
Waifufags still bought it up in droves, as many sales as that is for such a low-budget series.
>>
>>316460489
>The original HDN is pure unadulterated trash in every possible way from a gameplay perspective
It's a damn shame it's my favorite when it comes to the way the world and characters are handled. I still don't know how I feel about RB1 being a rewrite. On one hand, the game feels fresher, but on the other it robbed me of the chance to actually enjoy playing HDN.
>>
>>316460580
But, muh cute girls doing cute things!
No one plays this for the gameplay!

I hate when people say that about Neptunia.
May as well just watch it on YouTube or just look up booru images if that's all they play it for.
>>
>>316460752
I unironically play it for the dialogues, and Nep the memer meming in the game. I don't want muh immersion (looking at Nepgear's game) when I play a Nep game.

I unironically play it with the Steam and Xbox Elite controller on a PC as well.
>>
>>316460489

The strange thing about nep is that they go out of their way to make OP plans now so the grinding, in theory, is easy. And despite the plans it's still annoying anyway(unless you go full on symbol attack/full gain and cheese it, but at that point you might as well stop pretending you're even sort-of playing a game.)

There's a lot of things like that about CH's approach to gamemaking that doesn't make sense to me. Like was mentioned in another thread, going by various post-game colosseum battles and such, they actually do know how to leverage the system they have to create better fights. But for the main game, they completely choose not to, and don't do anything more interesting than the occasional ability seal or "heals on turn if hp lower than this point" fuckers.

The whole dev team seems uncontrolledly bipolar about they impliment and how they do it, way more than most studios.
>>
>>316454812
look at reviews
every single of these faggots will have anime avatar
>>
>>316462692
>Like was mentioned in another thread, going by various post-game colosseum battles and such, they actually do know how to leverage the system they have to create better fights. But for the main game, they completely choose not to, and don't do anything more interesting than the occasional ability seal or "heals on turn if hp lower than this point" fuckers.
It seems more likely that they just managed to create a competent fight by accident.
>>
>>316462692
CH is not stupid. Nep's appeal is to be a commentary, if satirical, on the state of the Japanese gaming industry according to Idea Factory. The whole dungeon crawling thing is really a side show when the real deal is in the dialogues that doesn't give a flying rat's ass about the 4th wall.

You play Mk2/RB2 to see what the devs felt abou R4i and the likes of other flash karts, you play RB3/V Century for a glance over in the state of how the Japanese gaming demographic and sentiment moved from the 80-present day, and V-II to see what sort of fears the gaming studios have in themselves.
>>
>>316463060
Tl;dr: it's all meta, with memes ahoy.
>>
>>316460580
>every single battle is nothing but hitting as many enemies as can fit in your attack range at once with break attacks

Not true at all. You're either shit or have never played the game.
>>
>>316463060

It's not like that precludes them from putting in solid, consistant work though. Look at Disgaea.

That series is at a point where they are literally just calling some random guy up off the street in akihabara, and using the first thing he says as their story. But they still put in the sweat to make the game and postgame grind compelling(assuming disgaea is your thing to begin with.)

Japs are every bit as shiteating as us weebs, but they gotta have the same observations and bitches too.
>>
>>316463367
Disgaea isn't on Steam. I don't own any console. Otherwise I would've gotten a Disgaea game. I could emulate up to Disgaea2 with PPSSPP but I only got a controller due to playing Nep, so the thought never occurred to me before.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.