[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whose still hyped for this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 6
File: photo-original.png (2 MB, 1536x1152) Image search: [Google]
photo-original.png
2 MB, 1536x1152
Whose still hyped for this?
>>
Beta is supposed to come out soon. Still waiting.
>>
>>315631128
Didn't one of their top people resign recently? And then the launch date pushed back by like a year?

Also, the gameplay preview we got to see looked like ass desu/
>>
cautiously excited but not invested monetarily or emotionally
>>
>>315634285
I don't know seemed to give you a lot of options, and the combat and story mixed in some pretty interesting ways.
>>
>>315631128
people are so hyped for this that it will be a big dissapointment like every game they are hyped
gems always appear in new series
>>
>>315631128
>From the same company that did Wasteland 2

Its gonna be a 6/10, tops.
>>
>>315631128
Not anymore. Whatever shenanigans they are doing with their budget and artistic vision, Kevin Saunders was total bro and him leaving can't possibly have no consequences. MotB was the shit.
>>
>play the alpha systems
>test out the Crisis combat system
>play a lot of Numenera tabletop as well

It'll be faithful to the Numenera system. At least in the alpha tests they have your health being divided among the three stat pools, and you have the ability to extend effort to do other actions and shit. So it has that going for it

I also like how combat has multiple outcomes and ways you can interact with the opponents and environment. That, combined with turn based combat, could provide for some interesting and unique scenarios.
>>
File: one-flew-over-the-cuckoos-nest.jpg (228 KB, 1798x1203) Image search: [Google]
one-flew-over-the-cuckoos-nest.jpg
228 KB, 1798x1203
This was supposed to be the new era of cRPG, but Pillar Of Eternity is shit (awful combat, retarded story), Original Sin is shit (combats are fine in the beginning, but then it gets really boring, awful writing), Wasteland 2 is meh (didn't tried the enhanced edition, I guess it solved the shitty combat problem ?) and this one will probably be shitty too.

>tfw I had hopes.
>>
File: 1411771210837.jpg (42 KB, 400x343) Image search: [Google]
1411771210837.jpg
42 KB, 400x343
>>315636756
>Wasteland 2 enhanced edition

It added new bugs, barely fixed balance issues, and most of the changes were made with consoles in mind.
>>
>>315636208

That's being generous. Wasteland 2 a real turd.
>>
>>315636756
This sadly. PoE was the biggest disappointment since the prequel trilogy.
>>
>Whose
>>
>>315636756
I hear original sin praised generally speaking. Is the story really that bad?
>>
Might be a good game.

It was never going to be a real torment game. Torment was what happens when you have a single writer for an entire game. It wasnt about Colin McCombs autistic universe or DEEP QUESTIONS and wordswordswords.
>>
After POE and Wasteland 2? Their fucking creditors maybe. No one else.
>>
>>315637709
OS was never praised due to its story, people like it because of the gameplay.
>>
>>315637709
It isn't dark, deep, and edgy, so a lot of hardcore obsidian fans don't like it. There isn't anything actually wrong with it.
>>
>>315638043
>obsidian fans
Original Sin isn't a Obsidian game.
>>
>>315637709
I'm still in the beginning but the whole tone of the game seems to be overly silly and not taking itself seriously at all.
>>
>>315637709
Original Sin probably has the best combay system in all cRPGs ever made, imo. What makes it a bad game is that the story/writing is truly average, so you just lose motivation to keep playing after a while. At least that was my case.
>>
>>315636756
>tfw I backed all of them
Put a gun in my mouth and send me to Hell.
>>
File: 143533492061.jpg (9 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
143533492061.jpg
9 KB, 200x200
>>315638043
Name three characters you remember from the game. That shit was like magic, I forgot about the story AS I WAS PLAYING IT, that's how fucking bad it was. I remember a moeblon orc girl librarian and that's it. There might have been a talking cat too? God what a piece of shit. At least the combat was good.
>>
>>315638137
No shit. What's your point?
>>
>>315638363
moeblob*
>>
>>315638140
So like a typical D&D campaign?
Because I've played a lot of tabletop for years, and only 2 sessions did everyone take it 100% seriously and tryhard (and it wasn't fun).

I liked OS's tone and style, it was a lot of them just having fun and messing around with a lot of tropes and cliches.
>>
>>315638150
>>315638363
Welp, I thought about picked it up, but no more. Gameplay alone can't save an RPG slog for me.
>>
>>315636756
You are delusional for expecting everything to be GOTY just because.
>>
>>315638628
As for me if a game, especially something like a fucking CRPG where you really have to give a shit about what's going on to make up for the limitations of the genre, if the thing doesn't take itself seriously and is just jacking over how zany it is I get...Resentful of it. If you're not taking this shit seriously why should I? Fuck you, game. Stop wasting my time.
>>
>>315638734
Right? I know this is heresy on /v/ but I put up with 'strictly decent' gameplay if the story is good. I play games to get lost in them as faggoty as that sounds, and OS doesn't do that.

Also slipping on ice over and over unless I put on some useless iceboots that removed my existing boot buffs really triggered me.
>>
>>315638813
fallout 1 and 2 mustve been truly a horrible experience.
>>
You plebs need to play Age of Decadence, the trully patrician option in this era.
>>
>>315636756
If you really think about it cRPGs have never really had good combat. Sure it's better than what jRPGs had on offer but it still wasn't very good.

You go back and actually play BG/IWD/Arcanum/Torment/Fallout ect and none of them are especially fun to play.

Compare them to something like X-Com which is still fun as fuck to this very day, they all feel incredibly dated however because their combat sucks.

I think it's possible to have good combat in a cRPG it's just not something I usually expect.
>>
>>315639020
Are you kidding? Those were my first experiences with a post-apocalyptic setting, they were unforgettable for me and well-written on top of that besides. OS was just some shitty fantasy game that doesn't treat itself seriously or with respect written by a bunch of faggots that don't have english as their first language. Fuck that.

And I don't think Kyril Porovoski or whatever was that good either. Bite me fanboys.
>>
>>315636756
When you're right, you're right. And you're right on all counts.
>>
>>315639131
Fallout has good combat because all the fundamentals all there, shooting something in the eye eventually stops being fun but it almost never stops being satisfying. The others were...Well, I guess I'd say they were a 'floaty' version of CRPG combat, especially Arcanum. But Arcanum had a really interesting setting. Torment is the most overrated game of all time by patricianfags.
>>
>>315638734
>Gameplay only encompasses combat
RPGS are supposed to tell an interactive story through the gameplay. Combat is only one aspect of it.
>>
>>315639215
Why would i bite you, you seem to be trying too hard to get your ass bitten, which is just amusing.
>>
>>315639438
Combat is often the most prevalent aspect of an RPG. I don't understand why you felt the need to point out that completely useless observation.
>>
>>315639382
Fallout is alright, probably one of the most playable cRPGs today since it still mostly holds up, but it pales in comparison to X-Com a game that obviously had a very strong influence on it's combat.

The only feature Fallout really has going for it's combat are the callshots, other than that it feels rather limited and stripped down. And waiting for all the enemies to take their turns can take eons and the whole menu and combat system feels really sluggish like how the menu has to open and close and shit. The companions are nice but you don't have any control over them, it probably would have made the game more fun if you had direct control over their actions but I have a feeling that would have been impossible for the engine.
>>
>>315639005
More or less why I play. If the story isn't good, why bother? There are games with really good gameplay that strictly do that instead.
>>
>>315639005
You don't have to use snow boots, you can attach nine inch nails to your boots to make them grant you immunity to slipping.
>>
>>315639638
>all classic RPGs have shit combat but good/ok story , good quest deisgn, puzzles , exploration,character building etc
>Combat is the most prevalent
Yeah nah

All the RPGS OP mentioned have shit stories and lots of combat and people call them trash. They call D:OS mediocre despite they say it has great combat

If an RPG focuses on combat it stops being called an RPG, they call it diablo like/dungeon crawler/isometric hack n slash,etc

Its easier to fill a game with mobs for the player to whack than designing tons of quests and integrating them into a story. If you check which classic RPGs are considered trash the vast majority are focused on teh combat
>>
>>315640009
True. Its staggering how much variety DivOS has in terms of side-quests. Probably a side-effect of not being bogged down in grim darkness.
>>
>>315640009
>They call D:OS mediocre despite they say it has great combat

Problem is, combat is good mechanically but is completely unbalanced so you'll become overpowered halfway through the game (at most) and just steamroll most encounters)

I'd still put it over everything else because it has actual puzzles and shit as opposed to skillchecks
>>
>>315640217
>friend takes pet pal talent on first playthrough
>we save this one group of wandering animals by telling them NOT to go get slaughtered
>fast forward: we're trying to rob the troll king of his tenebrium
>Australian rabbit from the group of animals shows up and agrees to distract the troll king while we rob him blind
>"SUP M8?"
>>
>>315640217
>sidequests
They were all also totally forgettable. I remember the one with the...I think it was a father daughter pair of ghosts? And I think someone wanted you to racially cleanse the librarian. Apart from that I did all of them and I'm totally drawing a blank despite what is a really good memory. The game was just bland as fuck and forgettable. I actually remember the Divinity guys being better than this once upon a time, the story of that game where you can turn into a game is actually decent enough, up to regular mediocre CRPG standards. Maybe they only know how to write zany shit after Dragon Commander.
>>
>>315640658
that game where you can turn into a dragon*

Fuck I'm sleepy but gotta hold out.
>>
>>315640658
>I actually remember the Divinity guys being better than this once upon a time
I don't and I've followed the series from the very beginning.
>>
>>315640009
>All the RPGS OP mentioned
>If an RPG focuses on combat it stops being called an RPG
What the fuck are you actually talking about? Also, "classic RPGs" were 90% combat. Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Kotor, whatever else. I know this because I've played and finished them. Are you really that retarded?
>>
>>315631128
I never got myself too hyped over it because it was going to be a long wait, but it seems like it'll be good when it arrives, cautiously optimistic.
>>
still need to play the first one some day
>>
>>315638734
I played it for just over 40 hours before I lost interest. A shame it didn't keep me playing until the end, but I would say that 40 hours was still worth my money.
>>
>>315640658
I could see some people forgetting alot, but i would blame the games pacing. It was so tightly packed that there was no downtime gameplaywise to process what happened and then dip in again. Other than that, when i start replaying i was really surprised that theres nothing that basicly feels copy-pasted at all. If they can improve on that for the next one its gonna be fantastic.
>>
>>315639005
>>315639895
This "story doesn't matter" is just nintendrone shit. You have to remember this is nintendogaf and that nintendrones rationalize things in such a way that they bash everything their games lack while praising everything it has, but ONLY if its in a nintendo platform, of course.

Might as well play some smartphone garbage if all I care about is mashing buttons aimlessly for no purpose. SPECIALLY in an RPG, where story is vital and does make up for shitty gameplay.
>>
File: 1428440867980.png (750 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1428440867980.png
750 KB, 640x640
>tfw no D&D 4th edition-based video game with turn-based combat

I just wanted ONE good game based off the best edition, but noooo, all I get is that shitty Neverwinter MMO.
>>
>>315639131
You what? Destroying whole armies with just one mage was fun as FUCK. sure theyre boring when only playing melee, but that's your own fucking fault.

Compare BG2 magic with PoE. PoE was brainfead garbage and thw spells mostly shit. In BG2 you habe to invest some time to: nderstand the system but then it's awesome.
>>
>>315640794
No one calls icewind dale an RPG
No one prizes BG1 either, they call it archaic/prototypical
and then Kotor 2 was way more story focused and you wont find a single person that prefers 1 over 2

Planescape and arcanum have beyond broken combat and yet they are hailed as 2 of the best ever made.

>>315640473
If you play on the hardest you ll barely will be able to beat the game, well teh fianl boss is easy but the high level mobs are really taugh
>>
>>315638363
Cat, historian imp, stuttering skeleton, stuttering wife, cult leader, cult goddess, potato cow, desert goblin, legionnaire arresting man, legionaire table sitting man, evil snowmen, the troll who fucked the whore, lighthouse man who turned off the light and killed his wife, hiberheim expeditionary forces. I could go on and on. Sorry you are forgetful
>>
>>315641151
I know your pain.

D:OS is the closest you'll ever get.
>>
>>315641173
>sure theyre boring when only playing melee, but that's your own fucking fault.

What kind of chump devs can't make melee combat fun?
>>
>>315641173
>Destroying whole armies with just one mage was fun as FUCK.
I prefer a balanced game over "Wizard rapes the entire game when played by someone who isn't retarded and half of the other classes suck cocks, news at 11".
>>
>>315641410
Wizards didnt really rape anything and most of the big creatures would insta interrupt casts.

What was broken were the dual class kensai/mage rogue/mage
>>
>>315641602
>Wizards didnt really rape anything
Did we play the same game?
>>
>>315641139
I'd actually never thought of that. Makes sense actually/ Fucking nintendrones.
>>
>>315641184
Arcanum has combat encounters about every three steps. And Dale is one of the great Infinity RPGs, so yeah, everyone calls it an rpg. You are clinically retarded.
>>
>>315641198
I tried to do the same and theres just too many. The cast is pretty colourfull. Like the cats in the last town, Rat King and the Orc, the mushrooms next to white witch cabin. The gay barbarian and the orc Everyones quite a character.
>>
>>315641637
Yes we did, all bosses would insta interrupt casters and would have immunities and protections

All mages did when i played was to spam debuffs and purges. For each spell a mage casted my kensai mage would attack 3 times per turn and basically instagib trash mobs.

>>315641879
Arcanum combat is trash, skippable and is not the focus of the game. It ended up like that like VTM late game because it was very unfinished

in fact you can make a non combat MC and recruit companions who fight for you without giving them any commands.

And not a single person calls Dale an RPG
>>
>>315641139
>where story is vital and does make up for shitty gameplay.
No, story can make up for gameplay that's nothing spectacular. Arcanum has one of the better stories and writing among RPGs and I still haven't finished it once in 12 years of trying because it has some of the worst gameplay I've ever seen in the RPG genre. It makes PS:T look like a fucking patron saint of balance and playability in comparison.

Likewise, a shitty story can detract from a game that's otherwise fine, and I'm not talking about games like D:OS here. Let's take Ultima IX, a notoriously shitty game - disregarding the horrendous bugs, it's decent from a gameplay standpoint, but it's outright insulting to Ultima fans with all of the shit tier retcons and blatant lore rape, and to top it all of the game has objectively shitty writing in a series that lived and died based on pushing the envelope for RPG stories. It's so bad that it drags the game down even when you're trying to ignore it, which is a feat in and of itself.
>>
>>315642298
>No, story can make up for gameplay that's nothing spectacular
you fucking nigger

Combat ≠ Gameplay

Combat is only a part of the gameplay
>>
File: 1433469433845.png (510 KB, 745x1800) Image search: [Google]
1433469433845.png
510 KB, 745x1800
>>315642206
By the simple fact that it's in real time, Arcanum's combat is better than any of the other turn-based ones.

>>315642298
"worst gameplay"
Which part ? The one where you can pickpocket a merchant's key and then steal back the items that you sell him ?
The gameplay that has spells for turning invisible, waling over water, reviving people from the dead, bringing people's spirit back just to talk to them, reading someone's character sheet, seeing the contents of a container (without opening it), slowing down time, teleporting (a sort of lore friendly fast travel that actually makes sense and requires a huge investment).
Or was it the various tech that you could craft like dynamite that you could use on most objects since most objects had an actual health value and could be destroyed.
Or was it the tech/magic duality that had people literally refuse to let you barter with them if you were too focused on one side ?
Or perhaps it was the mastery training level on every skill which required you to find the one npcs in the giant world of Arcanum and do some often incredibly difficult task for them.

If you want to easy-mode just get the Harm spell, Unlocking Cantrip, Teleport and just spend enough points in spells to have 100 magick attunement. Play in real time and have enough potions to just spam harm on anything that looks at you funny. Jerk wad...
>>
>>315631128
not hyped, but im waiting for it
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.