[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did anyone actually use mines in Fallout?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 6
File: FragMine.png (84 KB, 340x252) Image search: [Google]
FragMine.png
84 KB, 340x252
Did anyone actually use mines in Fallout?
>>
>>315606521
yes, couple times.
usually just selling them.
>>
>>315606521

Yeah its useful when your being chased. Just drop a few down and your good.
Another way if your playing sneaky, just reverse pick pocket them with it and watch it explode.
>>
Few times to make ED-E a satellite.
>>
Only if I completely ran out of ammo and the Deathclaw was closing distance without a rock for me to stand on and cheese the fight.
>>
>>315606521

Just put a ton of them under dogmeat and watch him reach the moon.
>>
>>315606607

This.

I used them a ton to cheese Deathclaw fights early in the game, especially in New Vegas.
>>
>>315606521
I collected them and then stacked them all into a pile to make a, Behemoth? Golliath? One of those giant super mutants go flying in the air
>>
>>315606521

Only when I can't win a fight and need prep time
>>
>>315606521
Yeah. Lay a bunch down in one area, retreat a little, snipe deathclaw (or whatever you're hunting), and sit back and watch the fireworks.
>>
Usually only when i see caeser's legion running towards me from very far away. I throw a few, walk backwards and start snipping. Eventually one of them walks on the mine...
>>
>>315606521
i only saved them to throw in front of deathclaws
>>
File: PTSD.png (202 KB, 450x480) Image search: [Google]
PTSD.png
202 KB, 450x480
Not getting the light step perk was a mistake.
>>
solely for higher-end deathclaws and albino radscorpions
>>
I used them when I was replaying Bounties II to make the constant ambushes less annoying and make me feel like a bigger badass.

I prefer C4 desu
>>
>>315606521
I think for some stupid reason, I thought it would be a great idea to go into the Deathclaw and Legendary Deathclaw area short on supplies on very hard + hardcore and I had to because I had no other choice. Other than that, fuck no, completely useless.
>>
They were godlike in the RTS mod.
I can't wait to use them in FO4.
>>
When I can see an enemy that can't see me, I'll drop a mine or three down, fire a shot, and hide. He investigates and soon enough finds the mines... Also, backpedalling gold.
>>
>>315606976
if only the AI actually did this
>>
I only ever used them when I was dicking around
>>
>>315606521
Sure. Prime them, put them in a bag, drop the bag next to someone, leave the area, and come back later - the explosive will have been set off, but the game won't recognise that you were the cause of it, so you can get away with murdering people.
>>
>>315606521
I just sold them, they were nice cash.
>>
I always use them in new vegas when i get to nipton

usually my combat stats aren't up to snuff by then but laying a path of mines around a house and in the path they leave by will kill all of the legion cunt's pretty easily
>>
>>315606521
I used them inside vaults sometimes, I'd be in a gunfight with super mutants or creatures and if there was too many I'd run away around a corner and start running backwards and throwing them on the ground, pretty satisfying getting all the enemy crippled notifications with the beep sound effect.
>>
>>315606521
Mines are fucking useful as shit, they'll outright kill weaker enemies and cripple the legs of more powerful enemies. They're an essential for sneaky, lightly armored characters fighting in close quarters. Used them yesterday when I wiped out the Brotherhood of Steel. Paciencia+Plasma Mines+hallways with lots of bends let you take out enormous numbers of superior enemies when you don't have any armor or HP.
>>
>>315606521
I tried using them a few times, but realized they don't do enough damage to be worth the setup.
>>
mines are my favorite. I'm a big fan of the ambush approach to combat
>>
>>315606521
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbjDLLu5-oo
>>
on explosive focused character i use them to set up traps often

when i do it in new vegas i call it pulling a "boulder city"
>>
File: 1438169526468.png (119 KB, 569x451) Image search: [Google]
1438169526468.png
119 KB, 569x451
>quest in NV involving finding a crate of NCR shit
>it ends up being an ambush
>having ~700 hours played i just planted plasma mines on the spawn points
>activate objective
>loud noises
>body parts slowly hit the ground
>>
When killing the brotherhood I got cornered by Hardin who had way better HP and weapons so I set five mines down near the door of the self destruct room. He walked into the room, heard the beeping, looked down and literally yelled "HOLY SHIT!" and then got blown across the room in a brilliant arc and hit the far wall in several pieces. It was fucking awesome.
>>
all the time, they are extremely useful on harder dificulties
>>
>>315606521

Using mines is synonymous with being a cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccck
>>
>>315606521
really good at crippling deathclaws early-mid game when every other weapon was shiet.
Good to stack on top of each other and blow up for fun.
Dynamite was literally the most useless shit and only good for selling because they threw like ass
>>
>Lure Deatchclaw
>Walk backwards while dropping Mines
>?????
>Profit
>>
>>315606521
>>315607832
Aye, they're best for when you want to fuck around and when you know an ambush is coming.

>Laying mines at the feet of any deactivated robots that are going to clearly become hostile
>Luring a bunch of super mutants one by one down a hallway and setting mines before turning a corner
>Lobbing the mine down into an unsuspecting enemy encampment from someplace high up and then just watching for who triggers it.
>>
File: 1417467285520.jpg (56 KB, 544x468) Image search: [Google]
1417467285520.jpg
56 KB, 544x468
>>315606521
>he didn't get mad bomber and nigger rig shitloads of ieds like fat mines and mfc clusters and wage the true jihad
>>
File: (´・ω・`).jpg (70 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
(´・ω・`).jpg
70 KB, 640x360
>>315606521
i used them in nv before fighting lanius. i laid down the 500000000000 mines, plasma mines and bricks of c4

all that was left of him was his leg
>>
>>315607971
Grenades in Fallout bounced like crazy. You basically couldn't use them without VATS. Throw a frag at the feet of an enemy and it bounces 6 feet over their head and deals minimal damage. Dynamite was especially bad because its bounce was unpredictable and the camera fucked up your aim as you threw it.

I looked for mods to fix it, but it seems nobody ever made one.

Well there was one that did, but with the added consequence that you could only throw grenades a distance of 3 feet.
>>
i found them essential playing on harder difficulties, at least early on. when youre fighting a bunch of super mutants who kill you in 4 or 5 hits and take shitloads of damage nothing works quite like setting up a trap and retreating around the corner and waiting for them to trigger it nd run around the corner half dead
>>
>>315606584

I did not know that you could do this I must away to experiment.
>>
>>315608189
>step on a million mines
>leg survives

No, this is not okay
>>
Any advice what to install and what not to install to play New Vegas? I don't want DLC that will give me superweapons at the start, but what I do want is all the new perks and new shit to explore.
>>
Considering there's a decent amounts of melee enemies, yes
>>
>>315606521
Their great for when you are moving around a building with multiple higher level enemies. Setting the mines behind you as you move room to room.
>>
>set up elaborate trap for lanius
>just as he's about trip it boone blows his head off
>>
>>315608481
Reverse stealing a bomb? That's a feature since FO1
>>
I only used to sneak up and place a mine in someone's butt to have them explode for giggles
>>
>>315608481
how could you not fucking know how to do the shady sands shuffle???
>>
>>315606521

I used plasma mines more just because dat damage.
>>
It's fun using them before taking on a pack of whatevers, like when you go into a cave and you see like 3 or 4 of something in the distance, you set up your mines then pull and watch them get blown up, otherwise you waste too much ammo.
>>
yes you pleb, it's literally the best way to take out deatchclaws, cripple their legs.
>>
>>315606521
I did.
Used them against deathclaws amongst other things.
You can also pickpocket people and put one in their pockets and they explode.
>>
>>315608272
I probably should've said that frags are shit too and I only used those with VATs
>>
File: 1433381267390.jpg (36 KB, 640x432) Image search: [Google]
1433381267390.jpg
36 KB, 640x432
>i dont reverse pickpocket: the thread
>>
Absolutely, to get past the blind Deathclaw in Primm Pass early. I'm playing New Vegas for the first time at the moment and it's all I've got against Deathclaws that works so far. Any day now I'll get to the strip.
>>
>>315606521
I did once. I never pause so I just hid in a room in a building full of ghouls by hiding behind a counter with mines everywhere while I went to go take a shit.
>>
I had saved tons up and it came in handy with the new overpowered shit enemies with one of the DLCs. Just literally backstepping away from an albino radscorpion while throwing 30 of them out.
>>
>>315608186
>mfc grenades and clusters
It was like christmas morning with how much green there was.
>>
>>315606521
Yeah. For breaching locks.
>>
>>315606521
Mines were fucking great, because the AI was fucking retarded. Just drop them while backing away and you'll kill literally anything.
>>
>>315615334
Does any game have AI who avoid mines you place?
>>
I don't use mines in any game, they always seem too unreliable in any given situation.
>>
only wen blo up dogmouth
>>
>>315616114
It seems like enemies in FEAR did because they never seemed to step on my mines when they saw me place them
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.