[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
There is literally no good reason to pirate games. >I want
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 13
File: Food - Croquette Yukino.gif (2 MB, 465x670) Image search: [Google]
Food - Croquette Yukino.gif
2 MB, 465x670
There is literally no good reason to pirate games.

>I want to see if its good before I play it

Demos, gameplay videos, reviews, streams. All of these exist and are more than enough to judge whether or not a game is for you

>Company X is bad so I'm pirating out of principle!

So you enjoy their product enough to play but refuse to let people who worked hard on thier game reap the fruit of their labor? That's terrible.

>I don't have enough money to buy these games!

Well that's unfortunate, but video games are a luxury. If your financial troubles prevent you from making a game purchase, perhaps you need to reevaluate your current living situation. Do you have a job? Are you living above your means? Video games shouldn't even be a priority to you.
>>
yukinon a best
>>
>There is literally no good reason to pirate games.
Its convenient.
>>
>>315603513
So is clicking a button on Steam.
>>
demos, i'm nearly certain that a huge percentage of pirating would cease to exist if all games had demos. from what I hear PC users just want to
A) see if they actually enjoy the game
B) see if it runs satisfactorily
and would be happy to buy a game if they found they enjoyed it
>>
File: 1432845575328.gif (2 MB, 492x300) Image search: [Google]
1432845575328.gif
2 MB, 492x300
>>315603340
>Demos, gameplay videos, reviews, streams. All of these exist and are more than enough to judge whether or not a game is for you

>watching other people play a game when you could just play it yourself for free to see if it's good or not
>>
What about seeing if it will run at 60fps on my rig before purchase? Not every game has a shitty demo
>>
1) Dont have to pay money

2) Why would I pay for a game if I can just get it for free?
>>
>demos

Fuck, I know you're baiting but that's not even funny.
>>
There's no reason to have to justify piracy, anyone that pirates and attempts to justify it is a pussy.
Just enjoy your free shit.
>>
>>315603567
Except that would require me to have money.
And to obtain money would force me to work, and that is anything but convenient.
>>
>>315603809
what's wrong with demos senpai?
>>
>>315603340
There is literally no reason to pay for games other than being a moral fag.
>>
ITT under educated niggers don't understand what "good' means.

Now, whether good or bad, you aren't gonna stop piracy in the states unless they start to regulate it nationally like how they do it in Europe(mainly Germany) where you actually get court summons for piracy and shit.
>>
>>315603895
Most companies don't even bother releasing them anymore.
>>
I'm confused, why does it matter if there's a good reason or not?

It exists, it's easy, it's impossible to get in trouble for, and it doesn't require any time or money be spent, and it results in being able to play games.

There doesn't have to be a "good" reason. It's going to happen.
>>
>>315603340
>Demos exist

No they don't, they "used to" when people mean demo they mean "a demo of a released/completed product and not some early-access paid for beta.

Who am I kidding, betas are finished products these day aren't they..

So, i'm fucked if i'm paying for a beta

And THERE is my reason for pirating.
>>
>>315603970
>under educated niggers don't understand what "good' means.

He's clearly using it in a moral sense, rather than like, the colloquial sense where it refers to one option being better from a logical or ergonomic point.

Which, I suppose is true. There may not be a morally "good" reason to pirate. By there are plenty of fiscally good reasons for it.
>>
>>315604019

Shown to hurt sales.

Go figure.
>>
>Demos
Those are a rare thing to happen, more and more developers aren't doing them
>Gameplay videos
Gameplay videos don't let me see how well the game runs on my pc
>>
>>315604137
This is actually the major reason for review embargos and paid reviews and closely-regulated preview material.

Letting players actually handle the real product early will usually show most players that the game is shit, and they'll lose sales.
>>
>>315603340
I can get it for free instead of spending money
That's the best reason of all and the only one I'll ever need
>>
I dont think its worth the money and I can acquire it for free. Fucks given are at an all time low.
>>
I have a stable and good paying job but I still choose pirate.
Why would I need to spend more when I can spend nothing to get the same amount of enjoyment?
>>
>>315603340
>No good reason
I can make do with average reasons too.
>>
>>315603340
>Well that's unfortunate, but video games are a luxury
Just fuck you, capitalist pig.
You never lived in third-world country, that's good for you, but when the whole country eats shit to survive, you don't care about videogame corporations income. Overall, that's better for children to play pirated videogames that drink vodka and take drugs.
>Let's teach children to steal. Is it good?
Oh no, sure, let's teach children that if their parents and their country is poor as fuck, they don't deserve to be entertained, that's surely better for their future.
>>
>>315603340
>There is literally no good reason to pirate games

It's free

I can do it

It's free

The police really don't care

It's free
>>
>free free free free free

ITT: Proof of why Bernie Sanders should never be president
>>
Videogames should be free and, only after you played them, you shoulh decide if you liked them enough to support the makers.
Prove me wrong
>>
>>315603340
Free games
>Demos, gameplay videos, reviews, streams. All of these exist and are more than enough to judge whether or not a game is for you
Demos and gameplay videos are basically ads to get you to buy the game. Reviews and streams are someone else's opinion (some incompetent manchild who works for Kotaku or something). You are offering these alternatives with no real reason why we should take these alternatives instead of just pirating the game and deciding for ourselves whether or not we like it. This literally destroys your argument yet you will go on thinking you have a good point. Instead of accepting what I said and learning to base your new argument around it, you're formulating excuses and defense mechanisms so you can continue believing your idea which just got proven wrong.
>So you enjoy their product enough to play but refuse to let people who worked hard on thier game reap the fruit of their labor? That's terrible.
Nobody owes them anything just because they made a game. Make a good game and maybe I'll support you.
>Well that's unfortunate, but video games are a luxury. If your financial troubles prevent you from making a game purchase, perhaps you need to reevaluate your current living situation. Do you have a job? Are you living above your means? Video games shouldn't even be a priority to you.
Who the fuck cares? Maybe someone wants to just play a video game.
>>
>>315604461
Poland NO!
>>
>>315603838
>And to obtain money would force me to work
smuganimegirl.jpg
>>
>>315604585
Bernie Sanders will make America great again
>>
>>315604461
>literal 2nd worlder
>almost on par with the 1st world at this point
>pls take pity on poor pooland we so miserable so 3rd world kurwa ;_;
my favourite meme
>>
There are also studies showing that pirates consume more media than non-pirates. Non-pirates go blindly purchase shitty games then complain about the state of modern gaming and complain that they bought a shitty game. When a pirate purchases a game, they know they're purchasing a good game. No pirate would ever purchase a game they didn't enjoy because that wouldn't make sense.

And I'm just not buying this hypothetical fantasy land scenario that all of the video games are just going to disappear if people pirate. It just doesn't reflect reality. Piracy has existed for years; people could get all these games for free, yet that's not what they choose to do and these companies continue to thrive in spite of this. So this idea that all of the video game developers are going to simultaneously decide to stop making games to spite the pirates is just not realistic. Does that seem like something that's going to happen to you? Really? Do you actually think all of the video games are just going to magically disappear one day? Honestly, fuck you if you believe that. Just fuck you. You're an idiot.
>>
>>315604461
>that's better for children to play pirated videogames than drink vodka
Fix
>>
File: 1277-.jpg (46 KB, 293x208) Image search: [Google]
1277-.jpg
46 KB, 293x208
>>315603340

Those are some good points. Still won't stop me though.
>>
>>315603340
There is literally no good reason to buy games.

>I think it'll be good before I play it

Demos, gameplay videos, reviews, streams. All of these are not a substitute for playing the game.

>Company X deserves my money so I am buying out of principle!

So you are the cancer killing gaming. You give money to Blizzard and EA.

>I have enough money to buy these games!

Well, that's fortunate, but entertainment is not a luxury. If your financial state is such that you can throw away money on shit games, perhaps you need to reevaluate giving that money to charity instead. Do you have a job? Are you living at or below your means? How do you even have time for video games?

See, I can shitpost as well.
>>
>>315603340
>There is literally no good reason to pirate games
I'm not made of money and old games are expensive as fuck thanks to hipsters and greedy as fuck resellers.
>>
>>315604585
Thus desu.

I only pirate if there is no other way. Last download was the system 32 emulator with Ridge Racer, Ridge Racer 2, and Rave Racer. Good shit.
>>
>>315603340
I'm cheap
>>
File: kappa.png (231 KB, 841x990) Image search: [Google]
kappa.png
231 KB, 841x990
>>315604137
Yeah, just ask Mike Z.
>>
>Demos

the 90's were fun
>>
>>315603340
>Demos
Don't always have a demo these days and may not cover the aspects you were curious about. >gameplay videos
Not the same as playing it yourself
>reviews
By biased/paid off/stupid people that have no place discussing what makes a good game
>streams
See gameplay videos
>>
File: 1434948156956.png (86 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1434948156956.png
86 KB, 320x320
>>315603340
DEAL

WITH

IT

IDGAF DESU SENPAI
>>
I don't want to spend money on them. I don't need another reason.
>>
>>315606070
>user reviews don't exist
You are retarded.
>>
File: 1435985830573.jpg (72 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
1435985830573.jpg
72 KB, 499x499
You cant stop me

nobody can stop me
>>
File: 1434004647981.jpg (49 KB, 550x535) Image search: [Google]
1434004647981.jpg
49 KB, 550x535
>>315603340
>'Demos, gameplay videos, reviews, streams.'
>other people's opinions and a carefully manicured portion of the game (if there's even a fucking demo at all which is really rare these days) that could very well not represent the majority of the game
Why would I bother with any of that shit when I can just download the game, play it and buy it if it's good?
>>
>Entertainment is a luxury
So I'm just supposed to live my life being bored and giving somebody else money just so I can be bored and eat?
>>
>>315603784
/thread
>>
>>315603784
>>315606760
Why put in effort to pirate a game when I can just press a button and buy it?
>>
>>315603340
>Demos
>exist
Anon, I don't know how to say this. You may want to sit down: it's not 2002 anymore.
>>
Are most /v/ posters traditionally from lower socioeconomic backgrounds?
>>
>>315603340
>Not playing shit games so that you can accurately pinpoint the things which are shit about it

Doesn't surprise me that you form arguments based on nothing you shitposter.
>>
>>315606430
>User reviews
>Biased/stupid people

No really. You trust the opinion of people you don't know and use that to base whether a game is good? Do you actually do this?
>>
Piracy is a great way of countering localization studios who want to act as thought you don't exist.
>>
>>315606802
Because you're literally doing the same thing
>Open up torrent site
>Search game
>Click download
>Download/Install
vs
>Open up Steam
>Search game
>Click buy
>Download/install
>>
Games are the only thing I don't pirate. I only play on console because my computer is just good enough for watching stuff and using the internet. I play most of my games online so it's just easier to buy my games for ps4 which all my friends have.

music, anime, tv shows, movies, software, books, manga, comics, apps....I pirate all that. It's just so much easier. You have it forever and HDD storage is cheap. Streaming is fine but I don't always have the internet, I can have thousands of songs on my phone, thousands of movies on a HDD, hundreds of books on my ereader. Forever.
>>
>>315603340
>So you enjoy their product enough to play but refuse to let people who worked hard on thier game reap the fruit of their labor? That's terrible.
The employees get paid either way. It's the publishers that get fucked if it flops, and if they're not funding products that I think are worth cash then I'm okay with that.
>>
>>315607080
More like
>go to torrent site
>blocked by ISP
>go to different torrent site
>search game
>click download
>slow as fuck because no seeders
>install it
>install crack
>game doesn't work
>suddenly viruses destroy my computer
vs
>search game on steam
>click buy
>download/install
>play game
>>
>>315607245
>Living in a third world country

Sounds like buying games is the least of your worries.
>>
>>315607245
In your 3rd world country.
>>
>>315603340
You dipshit, I live in Croatia, I'm not rich but I do ok, the prices of everythig here that is important, food, medicine electricity etc are like in much more developed countries while our paychecks are much much less.
I'm a student and alongside sport, music, movies, books, games relax me. I don't play them every day and I'm extremely picky because I value my time. I am not going to stop playing them because on one side you have the unbalanced monetary system without reason and on the other you have apologetic idiots who can't get their noses out of the systems ass. It doesn't work, it's obvious, piracy is a by product of this system.
>>
>>315606656

Buy books. Use social media. There are ways to entertain yourself as a poorfag.

People aren't wrong when they say people aren't entitled to things like video games.

Doesn't mean I won't do it. If I'm poor and unable to buy it then I'm clearly not a lost sale.
>>
>video games are too expensive
uhh most of them are like for 10$ half year after release
>>
File: Ashley.jpg (118 KB, 541x633) Image search: [Google]
Ashley.jpg
118 KB, 541x633
>>315607146
I'm always too scared to pirate TV/Movies, heard too many people getting C&D'd for it so I just get them off of friends if they have cool stuff on their harddrives. My sister's boyfriend got sent a C&D for pirating anime once, he got off with a slap on the wrist but still.

Never seen of heard of many people get C&D'd for pirating vidya though.
>>
>demos
>existing outside of conventions
>2015
>>
>>315607360
Oh and one more thing as far as reviews and such go. When you grow up you will realize that the only thing you own, truly own is you experience, what you don't experience for yourself you only assume to know, this goes for everything, since demos barely exist other peoples views on whether I will like game or not are useless mostly.
>>
>>315607413
>My sister's boyfriend got sent a C&D for pirating anime once

Was he a narutard or just pirating funimation shit or something?
>>
>>315607245
More like for you
>too retarded to operate a computer
>don't have an antivirus installed
>google search game
>find seedy torrent site with no seeds, a surprisingly low filesize and a million comments saying "omg thanks it worked ;)
>download game
>suddenly viruses destroy my computer
>>
>>315607360
>>315607541

NICE BLOG
I
C
E

B
L
O
G
>>
File: 1432629303647.jpg (8 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1432629303647.jpg
8 KB, 250x250
>>315603340
>mfw I buy indie games off steam
>finish them in less than 2 hours
>Ask for a refund
>get it
>write a bad review about it
Living the life.
>>
File: 1445497694940.png (171 KB, 374x347) Image search: [Google]
1445497694940.png
171 KB, 374x347
>>315607558
>he has an antivirus program installed
>tries to insult the intelligence of other posters
>>
Nigger I wish companies did demos consistently, the fuck out of here with that false shit. Whole goddamn slew of games I am curious about, but they don't offer demos. So I'm sure as shit not buying them, maybe I'll torrent.
>>
>>315607549
Bleach, can't remember who he got it from though
>>
>>315607360
Nice blog, you slippery Serb.
>>
>>315606802
Buying it requires putting money onto a card

I could just torrent it
>>
>>315603340
There is literally no reason to buy a game other than patronage
If you dont want to do that, you should just pirate
>>
>>315607723

If it was the dub it makes sense.

If it isn't available in your country then you'll never get in trouble because it would take a foreign publisher to make a move.
>>
File: 1445116889574.jpg (121 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1445116889574.jpg
121 KB, 1280x720
>>315603340
Sensei best girl.
Farewell.
>>
I want to see if its good before I spend money on it.

>Demos
Nobody does them anymore
>Gameplay videos
Are often bullshots, beta builds, biased away from bad areas, or just unhelpful since you aren't actually playing yourself.
>Reviews
Biased as all holy fuck, and even if they weren't reviewers often review on subjective points anyway.
>Streams
Perhaps the best option of these, but still suffers from the same issues as gameplay videos.

Piracy is the only sure-fire way of testing a game, given that it provides all of the information of the above methods plus some other stuff like seeing if the game will run on your hardware.
>>
>>315607413
I have been pirating for like 15 years now and have not been caught, I don't even consider the possibility I could get caught, it just doesn't happen in Australia outside of a few vary rare cases.
>>
>>315608349
>Farewell
what happened?
>>
>>315603340
Eh, I agree with everything except for the last part. If you can't afford it, what's wrong with pirating? It's the lost sales fallacy in all it's glory. If someone can't afford to pay for a game, them not playing it makes no tangible difference to the company than if they pirated. The only winner is the player and, eventually, the company because, if the game was good enough, the player will be compelled to save up and play their next game. This isn't applicable to every situation of course because some people just use this as an excuse to pirate, despite the fact that they actually do have the means.
>>
why don't you fuck off back to reddit, moral-fag
>>
>yahari fags got BTFO so hard they have to make troll threads on /v/
>>
Watching streams and Youtube videos is literally the same as pirating, but you don't even get to have fun. Why the fuck would you do that?
>>
>>315603340
-If you download a game just to see if it's good, that means that you'll buy it afterwards, so I don't know where is the problem. I don't really think that people act like that, but if they do, what's the deal? They end up paying so it's legit.

-If you don't have any money to buy games, you are not hurting the developers' income anyways since you couldn't afford a legit copy. You're just mad that a poor ass guy got also a shit game you spent $60 on? That's lame, dude. You must be a spoiled and entitled twat.

I pirate a lot of stuff and I don't need many excuses. I don't want to pay an unfair price for a lot of things. Period.

I don't pay for films since Netflix and the ones alike have shit tier catalogues on my country. I don't pay for books since that's what libraries are for. And I don't pay for some videogames since I don't have time to even try most of the ones I download. Besides, I mainly pirate old titles because I don't even own a SNES nowadays, for instance. I buy recent titles when they seem cool, but I regret paying full price for them in many cases.
> but you r killin muh industry
So be it. You candy ass.
>>
>>315603340
>video games are a luxury. If your financial troubles prevent you from making a game purchase, perhaps you need to reevaluate your current living situation. Do you have a job? Are you living above your means? Video games shouldn't even be a priority to you.
Video games are a fucking hobby. Dont give me that psychiatrist bullshit. I just wanna play games.
>>
>>315603340
i dont want to pay them so fuck you
>>
with the storm of dlc`s and microtransactions i finally started to slowly pirate games because fuck them too right ?
>>
>>315603340
>All of these exist and are more than enough to judge whether or not a game is for you
(You)
>>
>>315603340
>Smug anime girl
>Purposely makes the comments more inflammatory than needed.
End your life. All of you. Why do you faggots respond?
Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.