[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this still the only genuinely great sandbox game? Even
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 11
File: reddead.jpg (479 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
reddead.jpg
479 KB, 1280x720
Why is this still the only genuinely great sandbox game?

Even Rockstars other open world games don't compare.
>>
Fuck me, I know right?

Damn shame they suck at programming and can't port the damn thing.
>>
I'd put it along with Bully as being their best GTA formula games.
>>
it sucks
>>
>>315582561
fo' sho' senpai
>>
It really kills me how much settling I had to do to appreciate GTA V after this game. I was so convinced that it'd be this game with cars and improved in every way. Couldn't be further from the case.
>>
>>315582640
fo' sho' senpai
>>
>>315582160
RDR is still my go to answer for when fuckin' nerds ask me what my favorite game is.

Then I get salty as fuck when they tell me,
"It's just GTA with cowboys. The ending really sucked. Weren't you supposed to murder innocent women?

No, I never played it I just heard."
>>
File: Mount_&_Blade_-_Warband_cover.jpg (57 KB, 339x470) Image search: [Google]
Mount_&_Blade_-_Warband_cover.jpg
57 KB, 339x470
>>315582160
>genuinely great sandbox game
>>
Would love to play this on PS4.
>>
>>315582160
It's not. It was pretty boring. Thanks /v/.

Brown and boring simulator.

Worse than every single GTA game I have played.
>>
it's not even better than gta4 baka
>>
>>315582946
>Weren't you supposed to murder innocent women?
Someone seriously asked you this?
>>
>>315582946

>oh noes dun hurt da wiminz

Fucking faggots.
>>
File: 1425008832825.jpg (5 KB, 167x249) Image search: [Google]
1425008832825.jpg
5 KB, 167x249
>>315583007
>>
>>315583103
Yes. A couple years back I was visiting a high school friend and she introduced me to her roommate. They both played WoW and LoL and when I mentioned I didn't care for those the new girl asked me what games I liked and if I had a favorite. When I mentioned Marston Quest she hit me with all those. The question about murdering women was tied to the Dastardly achievement. It's not the only time that has happened.

/blog
>>
One of the few games I wouldn't mind getting a "remaster" for PS4, online was far more fun to play than GTA V's,
>>
>>315582778
I actually enjoyed the GTA V campaign. It was what I expected from GTA, I thought the writing was good and it looked good.

RDR is just a totally different vibe. It's my favourite rockstar game, I don't think you can really compare the two because they came out of the same studio.
>>
>>315582160
Because its STILL not on PC
>>
>>315583657

>The question about murdering women was tied to the Dastardly achievement.

holy fuck that chevo

My friends and I tied a lady up on a whim and put her on the Armadillo train tracks like 100 yards from the station.

Our collective sides were blown the fuck out when that shit popped up, we had no clue it was a thing.

ALSO.

RDR has the best iteration of the Euphoria engine, fite me irl if you disagree.
>>
Hunting is so damn comfy.
>>
Red Dead Redemption is the most boring game known to man.
>>
>>315585617
Kek, I think I spent about half the game doing this even when I was rolling in cash from pelts.

Tall Trees is p spooky at night though.
>>
Are you fucking serious? You can smoke dope all day in GTA.
>>
>>315585578
My fondest memory is getting into a shootout at Thieves' Landing over my $15 bounty. I took cover behind a crate on the docks and shot a guy sprinting between cover. He grabbed his gut right where I hit him, tripped over his own feet, and tumbled into the water. It was beautiful.
>>
>>315582160
Best game of last gen, one of my favorite games of all time.
Would trade one of my legs for a pc version, even after all these years.
>>
>>315582160
This game's only flaw is that Hardcore Mode isn't the default difficulty. It gave you realistic health, made Dead-eye feel special and made you feel like a champ for using manual aim.
>>
Atmosphere and setting. Not many western games and there is like one other open world one.

In terms of content, Rockstar has been shitting the bed lately. RDR and GTA5 were lacking IMO.
>>
The only people who say it's shit have never played it.
>>
File: 7687.jpg (375 KB, 1600x1068) Image search: [Google]
7687.jpg
375 KB, 1600x1068
>>315585945
Nothing was better for me than playing with my two friends walking on foot through the mountains and hunting animals. We got into fights with a FUCKHUGE pack of cougars, then boar. It got quiet for a while until I turned my camera around and a FUCKING BEAR was 4 feet away from me. I screamed "OH MY GOD THERE'S A BEAR BEHIND ME" and we all shat our pants and took off to the trees ahead of us. My friend then got mauled by another Bear before he made it.

I have so many fucking stories from Tall Trees man. I miss this game. Next gen re-release when?
>>
Don't get me wrong RDR is one of my favorite sandbox games ever, but I enjoyed bully just a tad but more. Nothing like making out with your art teacher... Then watching her fight your gf.
>>
File: raining_david_tennant.gif (376 KB, 500x264) Image search: [Google]
raining_david_tennant.gif
376 KB, 500x264
>>315584960
dont remind me
>>
>shit missions (they're all the fucking same)
>shit mechanics (cover shooting and bullet time with extremely wonky euphoria engine movement)
>shit pacing
>shit economy

not a bad game but not a great one either, pretty good game on the whole if you can excuse the gameplay being lame a lot of the time
>>
I own this game and have never played it because I hate cowboys.

How retarded am I?
>>
File: real lives hitler.jpg (173 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
real lives hitler.jpg
173 KB, 1024x768
>>315586768
>rdr was lacking
>>
>>315584960
>Pkeks will already be emulating RDR before it get's an actual port.
How does that make you feel?
>>
>>315582160

>this turd
>better than Just Cause 2

Disgusting opinion my man
>>
>>315587251
Is this an edit or is there a version of Real Lives that actually gets that intense?
>>
>>315582160
because cowboys
>>
File: 1392789184997.jpg (8 KB, 206x215) Image search: [Google]
1392789184997.jpg
8 KB, 206x215
>>315582160

>Red Red Redemption was my first adventure game and I have no actual perspective.

Welcome, new friend.
>>
>>315587303
pretty good, won't have to pay for it twice.
>>
>>315587251
>Mexico empty as shit
>2 "big" towns and the other towns have jack shit to them
>>
>>315583657

>cheevo to leave a tied up gal on the tracks to get runned over
alright whatever
>cheevo to kill one of every animal
ok, cool
>can't find the last animal. can't figure out where it is. End up killing just about everything twice over.
>realize the only thing I haven't shot is a wild horse
I didn't ask for these feels
>>
>tfw rockstar popularized unfun simulator sandboxes and faggots eat it up and now most sandboxes are boring

tap x to lift weights!
>>
>>315587714
Name some fun sandbox games.

They're almost all boring and repetitive.
>>
>>315587484
An edit, name is a reference to the Sigma Protocol, a book involving a crazy Nazi that reverses aging.
>>
>>315587190

>cover shooting

Who the fuck ever actually used the cover system in this ?

Who the fuck actually uses a cover system in a game that gives you the ability to crouch and also swap shoulders ?

The only reason to hit the cover button is to make your character quickly slide behind something, then you back off of it and shoot from a crouched position or something.

>shit economy

The FUCK are you talking about ?...
>>
>>315587842
gta III
vice city
prototype 2
dead rising 2
infamous 2
spider-man 2
saints row 2, 3, IV
just cause 2
>>
>>315587694
I remember trying to find beaver pelts for the flying machine stranger quest.

Took me as long as it took me to land a beaver IRL, amirite?
>>
there's literally nothing to do after you finish the campaign

driving around and shooting shit in gta is much more entertaining than grabbing plants and killing small animals
>>
>>315587994
>gta III
boring
>vice city
its okay
>prototype 2
boring and repetitive
>dead rising 2
repetitive
>infamous 2
repetitive but entertaining
>spider-man 2
fun as fuck for the swinging, boring in every other aspect
>saints row 2, 3, IV
all of them are repetitive
>just cause 2
pretty fun

Most sandbox games are shit and should be maybe half their length. Finishing GTA 4 was a chore and V should have cut trevor out entirely.
>>
>>315587994
>>315588489

>>315583007
desu
>>
>>315587994
The original Dead Rising is my favorite sandbox game.
>>
>>315588489

>get rid of Trevor

Kill yourself my man.
>>
I loved this game because it fulfilled my dream as a kid to be a gunslinging badass like clint eastwood.
>>
>>315585578
I used to love luring people to the top balcony of saloons and punching them until they off or down the stairs. It's too bad they never fucking reacted in any way. They didn't fight back, and they had infinite health.
>>
>>315588489
they shouldn't be half their length, they should realize that content is only justified when it delivers on something players would actually enjoy doing that's not already established or possible in the sandbox

first you establish a world which has systems and geography that are fun to interact with (shadow of mordor is pretty good at this)

then you establish mechanics that capitalizes on those things and are fun in their own right (spider-man 2, just cause 2, prototype 2, etc.)

then you design missions that introduce or alter weapons, mechanics and rules to create situations and challenges that are novel to the player because they're not the same as the ones they're used to in the regular sandbox (saints row and vice city are good at this)

saints row's insurance fraud activity is a perfect example of good content design in a sandbox game

every gta game after san andreas has been absolute dogshit and even san andreas was on the edge
>>
>>315588808
>muh lol random i mourned you husbando
Trevor was shit. Michael was interesting, Franklin was a little dull but okay overall.

There was nothing great about Trevor. His "final boss" being Cheng should highlight that.
>>
>>315588489
>all these sandbox games are repetitive
>but RDR isn't... for some reason
>>
>love western movies

This is probably my favorite game because of that.

And Undead Nightmare remains my favorite DLC
>>
>>315587694
I never did get all the animals... Idk what I'm missing, probably something small
>>
>>315589213
>>315589151

As #213 I will totally admit that RDR is repetitive as shit. But I loved what it repeated and often made my own fun. If I didn't like westerns so much I'd hate it
>>
>>315589151
RDR has unique missions though. Most of those games listed don't.
>>
>>315589597
95% of RDR missions are "go here and shoot some guys with our lousy mechanics", "ride a horse for a bit" or even more reductive versions of those

RDR has abysmal mission design and every other game on that list shits all over it in that aspect
>>
Jesus fucking Christ, I've never seen so much blatant samefagging in my entire life.

Fuck you, OP. Fuck you. RDR isn't the only great sandbox. You're stupid.
>>
>>315589597
>RDR
>Unique missions

Pick only one, idiot. You can't have both.
>>
>>315583007

Too bad the horses in this game are shit, and the combat caters completely to infantry duelist circlejerk fags with william wallace fantasies.

>Fully armored lancer on a war-horse galloping at full-speed delivers a lance thrust to an infantryman's back, and the infantryman doesn't instantly die, comes around for another pass.

>Infantryman jumps straight up five vertical feet to the height of the lancer on his horse, while wearing full chain armor, and does a 360º spinning midair slash with a greatsword the size of his own body and kills the lancer in one hit.

>Infantry fags cry it'd be "unbalanced" if you died from getting trampled by a horse.

I'm hoping they'll fix this shittery in M&B2, but I know they won't because the devs are also wallace fags.
>>
>>315582160
>great sandbox game
>only things to do are kill animals, kill people, or gamble

game was pretty boring honestly
>>
>>315587686
Don't forget
>West Dickens misssions
>repetitive side missions
>capture bounty
>gang chases you
>rinse repeat
I loved rdr but it was a bit underwhelming in some departments
>>
>>315588973

>punching them until they off or down the stairs

Mi amigooo

I think most of my end game time as Jack Marston in RDR has been spent in Armadillo, shoving whores around, seeing if we can get a good push off the top steps outside.

If you do it just right, they clear the fucking steps completely and just nail the ground. Then she's usually murdered horribly along with 100% of the town, for keks.
>>
Agreed, this is easily the best game of last gen and quite possibly the best game ever made. I loved every second of it and I cannot wait for a sequel. GTA is just boring, RDR is perfect fantasy fulfillment.
>>
File: 1280px-Bison_skull_pile_edit[1].jpg (263 KB, 1280x1001) Image search: [Google]
1280px-Bison_skull_pile_edit[1].jpg
263 KB, 1280x1001
>>315587694
I never got the animal achievement because I never killed any buffalo or wild horses. Dunno why exactly, just didn't have the desire, and I'm not the sort to do stuff I don't feel like just for my achievement.

My buddy actively buffalo hunted due to the high value of their carcass collectibles, only to realize too late that they never respawn.
>>
>>315590136
what if your fantasy is to play a fun game? it's not perfect fantasy fulfillment then
>>
>>315590293

>only to realize too late that they never respawn

Holy fuck, really ?

I had no clue that happened, fuckin nice detail.
>>
>>315590010
>and the infantryman doesn't instantly die
lances had a hard enough time piercing coat of plates
>while wearing full chain armor
chain isn't very heavy
why are you whining about playing as cavalry, it's the easiest shit in the game
>>
I'd cite RDR as one of the best "cinematic" experiences that fags seem to crave so much in their games now. It is entirely like playing a Western.

Best cinematic game is Ghostbusters though. Last of Us a shit.
>>
The weapon executions were the only good thing about this game
>>
>>315590010
If you get killed by someone on foot using a greatsword while you have a lance while mounted you're just straight up shit m8
>>
>>315590404
Yep. We had no idea either, he was over at my place one time and I was playing RDR, and he starts asking me where I'm finding all those buffalo, since the herd in my game was intact. I had no clue what he was talking about, so we googled it and our minds were blown.
>>
>>315590418

>chain isn't very heavy

>calvalry, it's the easiest shit in the game

You obviously do not know what the fuck you are talking about.
>>
So is there any word on Bully 2? Current gen Bully would be amazing. Maybe in a university.
>>
>>315582160

>Why is this still the only genuinely great sandbox game?
Its not fully sandbox. Its a story based game with tons of optional free roaming. And there's plenty of other games like it.
>>
>>315582160
>Why is this still the only genuinely great sandbox game?

...you know what? I'm not even gonna bother.
>>
How is it a good sandbox? There's literally nothing to do in the world but encounter like 3 random events and pick flowers. It's easily the worst open world.
>>
>>315590858
chainmail isn't heavy, it's made up of tiny iron rings with holes in them

cav is the easiest thing in warband, are you just a shitter?
>>
>>315590293
>>315590404
isn't there an achievement for exterminating them?

think I remember that
>>
>>315591086

>chainmail isn't heavy, it's made up of tiny iron rings with holes in them
While lighter than full plate armor, chain mail still still heavy. Averaging 35-50 pounds depending on the size of the person and the type of chain. You're still wearing a coat of iron or steel.
>>
>>315591421
I think it's named "Manifest Destiny," but it is an achievement.
>>
>>315591474
closer to 30lbs, it's still not that heavy
you could move around all day in a suit of chainmail fine, especially with a belt
>>
it doesn't run very well, or look good

it's fun though

I think i like sleeping dogs or just cause 2 better
>>
PC RELEASE NEVER

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: 1376527748488.gif (2 MB, 248x184) Image search: [Google]
1376527748488.gif
2 MB, 248x184
It's a bland TPS at best. All the enemies are the same. All the guns are virtually the same. There is hardly any distinction between the different types of weapons and their different "tiers". Everything dies in 1-2 shots no matter what you do. Not to mention if you use Dead Eye or Auto-Aim, both of which are enabled by default, the game is just a piss fest of casualness.

Then there's the missions. Every stranger mission is literally, "go here and collect your reward". No involvement whatsoever. Every story mission, every side mission, is either "go kill these guys" or "listen to me whine". Which wouldn't be so bad if the gunplay wasn't complete shit. The side quests, which follow the same formula, are few and far between as well. Then there's the "minigames". Godawful clones of flash games you could find on the internet in 1995.

The whole thing is a fucking joke. Frankly it's astonishing that anyone could find it decent on any level.

>but huurrr muh atmosphere

The atmosphere would have been great if not for all the fucking glitches. I sure was reminded of the days of old when I mounted my 3 legged horse for the umpteenth time.
>>
baka senpai
>>
>>315590010
>not instakilling with the lance
oh shit nigger what are you doing
couch that shit
Also the jump is nowhere near five feet. It's one or two at best.
>>
Literally the only game deserving of a remaster, and it doesn't get it.
Nope, only AAA games from last year get that treatment.
>>
>>315582160
>only genuinely great sandbox game
>sandbox game

I don't think you know what that means.
>>
>>315586810
I played the whole thing and all the momentum dies once you get to mexico.
>>
>>315586906
I miss this feel. Is the online still populated?
>>
>>315586906

Best online experience I had in RDR was mother fucking TRAIN BRIDGE KNIFE JOUSTING.

shit was god damn radical, should have been a game mode
>>
>>315583007
amazing game, too bad that multiplayer community was shit imo
>>
Pick flowers and skin rabbit

Oh yeah so much fun, so much interactivity
>>
>>315582160

that was easily their most boring sandbox game
>>
>>315591737
I was tbe only petson to never get glitches in rdr

But i wanted them

I never expwrience fun or finny glitches, only stupid ones that make me reload or restart something and lose progress
>>
File: feminism.gif (116 KB, 255x230) Image search: [Google]
feminism.gif
116 KB, 255x230
>>315582946
>Weren't you supposed to murder innocent women?

Fucking whiteknights...

>playing Payday 2
>everyone has a mic and seems decent
>one guy says "there's too many men, this game needs more women (referring to the fbi agents and cops)
>i jokingly say "yeah, there needs to be more women to kill"
>one guy laughs
>the white knight doesn't say anything for the rest of the game
>>
>>315591474
>wut is weight distribution
Wearing a chain of maille is almost next to nothing if you fitted it properly with a belt
>>
>>315591086
>chainmail isn't heavy, it's made up of tiny iron rings with holes in them
that is literally the stupidest thing I've heard all day, and it's almost tea time.
>>
>>315582160
Does anyone know if this will be available for the Xbone BC?
Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.