[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A lot of people like to rag on about how modding significantly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9
File: Courier.jpg (131 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Courier.jpg
131 KB, 1280x720
A lot of people like to rag on about how modding significantly improves PC gaming, and while I don't disagree with this, I find that the community tends to have very lukewarm or negative reactions to a lot of if not most of the mods people make.

So in a sense, is modding REALLY all that great of a thing? I mean for New Vegas stuff like Project Nevada is great, but on the other you have quest and companion mods which can definitely leave a sour face on a lot of people's faces, especially some of the more popular ones like Willow and New Vegas Bounties. Not to mention that basic functionality can become an increasing pain in the ass as you delve more and more into modding.
>>
>>315378441
Well modding couldn't unfuck Skyrim from being a worthless, shallow piece of garbage. No amount of modding could make it even a little bit entertaining.

Meanwhile with FO3 and FNV the only mods you need are purely cosmetic (graphics overhauls, hud changes, etc), because the rest of the games were still great.

Skyrim being such a complete and utter fuck-up really makes me worried about FO4 though.
>>
>>315378441
>Project Nevada is great

Get out.

>>315379018
>with FO3 the only mods you need are purely cosmetic because the rest of the game was still great

I literally don't have an image or video to convey how hard I am internally laughing right now.
>>
>>315379532
What's wrong with Project Nevada?

Also, an example of my above point.
>>
Modding is so fucking overrated
People act like mods can make a shit game good
That's hardly ever the case
in before people bring up bethesda shit
>>
>>315379018
>Well modding couldn't unfuck Skyrim from being a worthless, shallow piece of garbage. No amount of modding could make it even a little bit entertaining.

except that isn't true whatsoever. significant modding could've made skyrim entertaining in a matter of weeks, but you can't significantly mod skyrim.

you can't add new animations, new weapon classes, new classes of animations/anim trees, etc.

so basically, skyrim's modding is extremely limited, and what all of you have come to think of as a gold standard is pretty much bronze-tier shit.

If you can mod FO4 more extensively like being able to add weapon/animation types, it'll be far more significant than anything else about the game.
>>
>>315379018
Eh, i mean the skyrim talent overhaul made it pretty good. As shallow as the story was, the modding scene drastically improved the gameplay imo.
>>
>>315378441
>giving a shit about what mods people make, release or use
Yeah retards are everywhere.
>>
File: Rie Tanaka.jpg (7 KB, 187x269) Image search: [Google]
Rie Tanaka.jpg
7 KB, 187x269
>>315379845
Why care about video games at all then? I feel like it's equally as fair to criticize modders in the same way you'd criticize the company who released the game when it comes to game design or even general attitude towards others.
>>
>>315378441
>Modding

If you play a game that needs mods to be fun or even playable, you basically gave money for an shitty product and relied on someone else(or even yourself) to make a fix.

Basically you work for the developers and on top of that gave money to them. Absolutely retarded.

Nowadays with so many easy to use game engines, if you want to make your own custom experience, you can relatively easily do it (easier than reverse engineer a product and mod it). You might even make some money.
>>
>>315379994
Like I said, retards are everywhere. You are one of them.
>>
>>315380165
Who says that modders are modding a game that's necessarily bad though?
>>
>>315380165
>why mod a game, just make your own from scratch

why work on your old muscle car, just build a dune buggy
>>
File: No you're a retard.png (595 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
No you're a retard.png
595 KB, 640x480
>>315380185
>I have no rebuttal
>LETS CALL HIM A RETARD!
>>
>>315380373
>not realizing your own stupidity
games cost money
mods do not

get the fuck out retard
>>
>>315380448

>mods do not

Not for long!
>>
>>315380497
>mods won't be pirateable

ayy lmao

paid mods is actually a good thing
>>
File: 1446112134864.gif (3 MB, 200x170) Image search: [Google]
1446112134864.gif
3 MB, 200x170
>>315380525
>>
>>315380448
So? That's beside the point and completely irrelevant to what I said.

You must think some guy who builds his own crappily made bike is immune to criticism as well because he's not selling it.
>>
>>315378441
A lot of people like to rag on about how games significantly improve gaming, and while I don't disagree with this, I find that the community tends to have very lukewarm or negative reactions to a lot of if not most of the games people make.

So in a sense, is gaming REALLY all that great of a thing?
>>
>>315380626
that's some top kek right there
>>
Mods are great when they are fixing bugs and enhancing the base game by adding an actual pc centric UI and stuff like that.
I almost never use "content" mods that add quests or npcs.
Mainly fixes and graphix enhancements.
Funny too, because the mods the consoles will get will all be exactly what i don't give a fuck about.
>>
File: Zilean and Darius.jpg (17 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Zilean and Darius.jpg
17 KB, 480x360
>>315380773
>>
>>315379785
>you can't add new animations, new weapon classes, new classes of animations/anim trees, etc.
Look up FNIS and tell you can't add animations. If you want more weapons look up immersive weapons and heavy armory. There are also mods that add parrying, dodging, and improve difficulty and enemy AI tactics (you actually have to pay attention, no more hack and slash).
>>
>>315379732
Nah, I get what you're saying, but there are tons of mods that change the game completely.
Just look at all the random ass shit that Gmod spawned.
>>
Depends on the game, really.

Half-Life and Warcraft 3 are good examples of a very enriching modding experience. I mean the three biggest games in the world right now began as mods for those games.

I don't know why in Fallout 3 and NV all the mods are just adding more content on top of the rest of the bloated content. Maybe the engine isn't flexible enough or easy to work with or something so modders don't bother to make bigger projects on it.
>>
>>315381265
Modders have made pretty big projects on it though. New Vegas actually has a really diverse amount of mods that aren't limited to just quest or companion mods, in fact I don't even think those are in the majority.
>>
>>315379532
But Project Nevada is fucking good.
>>
>>315378441
The people who create mods are often cancerous children that have no idea how to take criticism.

See: modder's reaction to any criticism of Saerelith for BG2.
>>
>>315382267
That also applies to anything created regarding videogames.
>>
>Project Nevada
>Good

OPINION DISCARDED
>>
>>315381265
Gamebryo is actually reasonably difficult to modify beyond the Creation Kit. It's nearly impossible to make new animations, for instance, without access to the original dev tools.
>>
>>315382331
Meh, I think this applies to any creative medium be it novels, movies or video games. Though really, there are still a lot of really chill guys out there like Neil Gaiman or Shigeru Miyamoto.
>>
File: call-of-warhammer-3.jpg (84 KB, 1024x501) Image search: [Google]
call-of-warhammer-3.jpg
84 KB, 1024x501
>the only games I've ever heard of with modding is Bethesda crao
>I'm going to write off all modding as shit just because there are a few that I (subjectively) don't like

Also happen to like New Vegas Bounties. Than you ignore total overhaul mods, mods that fix bugs, mods that add textures, effects and improve graphics, mods that improve armor and add items, or add monsters/extra dungeons and challenges. etc.
>>
File: Screenshot5852.jpg (284 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot5852.jpg
284 KB, 1920x1080
I ...
>>
File: Screenshot4580.jpg (147 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot4580.jpg
147 KB, 1920x1080
>>315382735
love my ENB.
>>
the only bad thing about modding skyrim is

>32 bit 3.1 GB memory max ayyyy
>still can't really unfuck the shadows
>crashes to desktop with no error reporting built in

Mod Organizer and LOOT are a Godsend compared to a few years ago with OBMM/NMM and just plain fucking guessing.

FO:NV has been the most stable game i've modded though. after you get the '4GB' patch you're good to go.

basically fucking shit bethesda game engines of two generations ago have held back the modding capabilities more than anything else.
>>
>>315378441
You don't have to install mods you don't like.
>>
>>315382735
>>315382780
I remember you posting this abomination in another thread. Please stop.
>>
Mods gave us great things like Dystopia, Eternal Silence, Insurgency, NeoTokyo and a lot more. But it's over. Now we have waifu simulator and nonsensical bullshit.
>>
File: 1446549890942.gif (87 KB, 209x172) Image search: [Google]
1446549890942.gif
87 KB, 209x172
>So in a sense, is modding REALLY all that great of a thing?

Sure.
A lot of VERY profitable games come from mods.
I hope you are not this new to make a comment like this.
>>
People love mods, but reaction to individual mods is lukewarm by their very nature. It's a customisation that you install based on preference, and most people are going to want different things out of their games.

The diversity is the most important aspect.
>>
>>315380185
Well it's ok to hate video games, but >>>/b/
>>
>>315379018
>Well modding couldn't unfuck Skyrim from being a worthless, shallow piece of garbage. No amount of modding could make it even a little bit entertaining.
You come off as one of those people that hates things because they become super popular. So in a way you are correct no amount of modding will make a game less popular.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.