[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm starting to feel like games have female protagonists
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: 2015-11-03_00007.jpg (556 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-03_00007.jpg
556 KB, 1920x1080
I'm starting to feel like games have female protagonists too often. Why can't there be more well-written male main characters?
>>
>>315326428
No. What are some videogame characters that you think are well written?
>>
Why should I care if the gameplay is good?
>>
>a well written video game
>let alone a character inside it

Nah
>>
>>315326428
Why can't there just be well written characters in general. Race and sex shouldn't be a deciding factor in the creation of a character in the first place.
>>
>>315326428
Why can't there by any well written characters at all?
>>
>>315327842
But they ALWAYS are when it comes to female characters, sadly.
>>
File: senator.jpg (175 KB, 1280x670) Image search: [Google]
senator.jpg
175 KB, 1280x670
>>315327137
>>
>>315328148
Because this generation of game devs are pink-haired beta-hipsters with vintage moustache tattoos and zero original ideas, artistic integrity or real-world experience that they could otherwise use to create something unique and interesting.
>>
>>315327842
#femaleprotagonist
>>
>>315329543
Female protagonist are generally made just for the sake of it being a woman and not a man.
I'm talking a character that has depth and I wouldn't give a shit if they were a mud baby from a rural tribe in South Africa.
>>
I think the whole, "protagonist is a father figure" shtick is a lot more obnoxious at this point. Every game that totes itself as being story driven is now using this and it's just getting old.
>>
Because YOU don't want it. You want "badassery", and some "manly tears".
>>
>>315332043
Holy shit this.
For all the shit "buzzcut space marines" get, I'm starting to miss them with all the "rugged grizzled dads" we're getting.
>Venom from MGSV
>Drake from Uncharted
>Whatever his name is from The Last of Us
>Geralt from Witcher 3
Am I missing any others? I feel like there's a lot more
>>
>>315332782
Best vidya dad is Asura
But seriously though, we could really use some more complex protagonists.
>>
idgaf whether male or female, as long as it's not a redguard
>>
>>315332782
Lee from TWD
I think there was a dad in GTAV but I don't think he was that grizzled
>>
>>315326428
what game?
>>
File: dad.gif (996 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
dad.gif
996 KB, 400x225
>>315332782
Best vidya dad coming through
>>
>>315333536
RAGE.
>>
>>315333536
Rage.
>>
>>315326428
It's because if you have a male character he needs to be Macho McBuff or he won't be realistic.
Because you know, it's WRONG for a dude to NOT be a pushy asshole.
>>
>>315333691
>>315333735
Chill dudes, he was just asking.
>>
>>315333597
Hey son, I heard you were leveling up dex
>>
>>315332782
I remember not liking splinter cell conviction because they turned Sam Fisher into that.
>>
>>315328148
>>315327842
Agreed
And there need to be more non-human characters dammit

I'm so damned tired of Sci-fi and Fantasy series only having playable humans
>>
>>315328319
Literally just Solidus Snake from mgs2 but dumbed down to appeal to casuals like you.
>>
>>315327137
>tell me a name and I'll tell you why it's shit

I don't know why people keep taking the bait
>>
>>315334610
He was well-written because he was a perfectly done over-the-top caricature of modern day politicians, constantly modifying his ideals and goals to sound as appealing as possible to whoever he was talking to at the time in spite of their differences, in order to get the upper hand in the conflict of political aims, switching between pure libertarian ideals and neoconservative dogma as he saw fit to justify his goals of cultivating a new America under his thumb to Raiden (just like a politician would.) All this while beating you to a pulp and kicking Raiden like a football to a pre-recorded cheering crowd. He was absolutely bonkers while simultaneously being one of the best-written MG villains I've ever seen.
>>
/v/ will never admit a minority lead character is good because they will latch on to their minority status and dismiss everything else about that character
>>
>>315336701
>female
>minority
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.