[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went right? How did they make a character that was edgy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 161
Thread images: 22
File: hk47.jpg (15 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
hk47.jpg
15 KB, 320x320
What went right?

How did they make a character that was edgy in a comical way instead of an ansty wangsty TWISTED FUCKING PSYCHOPATH way?
>>
>>315314870
Because robots.
>>
Dickass robot characters are funny. Dickass people are not. Plus, the syntax of his speech was memorable and unique.
>>
Bioware used to have writers capable of writing charming characters.
>>
Because he lacks real emotion.

It is AI so it is incapable of emotion.

The fact he is programmed to be that way is why it's funny and tolerable.
>>
The Statement: Answer system was really funny when used right.
>>
>>315316843
>>315317082
Pretty much
>>
>>315316843
Also I think his speaking voice, calm and polite sounding worked well, especially considering the stuff he was saying
>>
>>315314870
They didn't. HK47 is a mix of "LOLSORANDUM" and "Twisted fucking psychopath" all rolled up in one character.
>>
>>315317169

Query: Why was this the only poster in this thread who posted correctly?
>>
>>315317810

you seem upset, meatbag
>>
>>315314870
Meatbag.
>>
The 'Statement: Answer' system kept a sense of contrast which actually gave some weight to the edge.

When a character's tone is '100% FREAKOUT ALL DAY ERRYDAY' it just has no sense of meaning.
>>
>>315314870
Snide Justification: It seems the combination of sarcasm and general bloodythirstiness of the HK unit was a success due to competent and passionate writing. This is something all synthetic lifeforms already know, meatbag.
>>
>>315314870
Smug observation: being an assassination droid means protocols are limited to those involved in the hunting and executing of meatbags.
>>
File: well shit that was fast.jpg (55 KB, 509x261) Image search: [Google]
well shit that was fast.jpg
55 KB, 509x261
Reminder that TOR exists and that nothing in KOTOR I or II is canon anymore.
>>
>>315314870
Fuck off, KOTOR 2 has nothing memoral about it, it's a fucking shit game compared to the first one.
>>
>>315314870
I just wish there had been an option to fucking murder him as soon as you saw him.

I knew he was gonna try to kill me immediately but I couldn't do anything about it.
>>
File: 1436879934759.png (17 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1436879934759.png
17 KB, 625x626
>>315318665
>>
>>315317810
Query: Why were you not aborted, or was your retardation not detected in time?
>>
so which version did you prefer

KOTOR 1 or KOTOR 2

nobody is going to say TOR so lets not bother with that
>>
>>315318665
Nigger, HK-47 was there in the first one, so go fuck yourself.
>>
File: image.jpg (523 KB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
523 KB, 1360x768
>>315318620
>>
>>315318846

2, just for the pacifist module you can install, but the HK unit you can get in TOR has some good lines too.
>>
File: image.png (312 KB, 600x660) Image search: [Google]
image.png
312 KB, 600x660
>>315318665
But anon, I remember Peragus.
>>
>>315319087
on the other hand, they completely and utterly fucked up his boss battle in TOR though
>>
>>315319223
How so?
>>
>>315319223

Oh absofuckinglutely.

>>315319298

He's a mid boss pansey in the fight against Revan in the original content (no idea about the Revan stuff in the expansion) and then he gets rebuilt for the fight against Darth Malgus and you defeat him again. Shit sucks.
>>
>>315318665
BioWare pls go
>>
>>315319494
Sounds exactly how I imagine an assassin being forced into open combat would handle.
>>
>>315319298
he stands around shooting lasers at jedi in melee in a glorified tank'n spank
while an actual HK 47 boss battle should have been largely non traditional with him tricking people into traps and shit like that, you know like an assassin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPeI4mX8Nus
that video is pretty much a "how to make a HK-47 boss battle"
>>
>>315318831
>>315318887
And this is how you know faggots never played the games.

The one specifically on OP image is the robot you find after Kreia and Atton joins your party and starts attacking you. But what would you know if you are both brainless baboons right?
>>
>>315318665
I barely remember any dialogue from 1.

Meanwhile

>Love is knowing your target, putting them in your target reticule, and together achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds.
>>
>>315319682

Yeah good point. But it doesn't change the fact its a shitty boss fight and does exactly everything he said NOT to do against Jedi and shit.

He would have at least been served better as this one fight you have as the Republic where the main boss has a sniper rifle and you have to line of sight take cover from him or he rips open your asshole with it.
>>
File: HK47.jpg (109 KB, 299x301) Image search: [Google]
HK47.jpg
109 KB, 299x301
>>315317810
Reassuring falsehood: Thank you for the contribution, kind meatbag. You have enriched our discourse with your wisdom.
>>
>>315319931
would have been awesome had the HK-47 fight been one massive subversion of standard MMO tactics
say it starts out with him on the other end of a hallway, you charge him you run into insta kill mines, to reach him you gotta head through a side passage
>>
>>315319836
But that was a HK-50, they are silver. The wall behind does like something from Peragus though.
>>
I'm still mad that HK-55 permanently dies saving you
>>
>>315320220

Yep. Would have been fucking great. Oh well.

That whole dungeon felt like the devs going "FUCK YOU OUR NEW GAME IS AWESOME. AND SO MUCH COOLER."

Though I hear the OTHER Revan with the expansion is cool as fuck.
>>
>>315320463
It's lackluster. You have like two conversations with him the whole fucking expansion, and he spends the rest of the time offscreen. And you spent 70% of the story fighting pirates and questing on behalf of a bunch super-politically-correct-bird-people on a goofy ramshackle pirate planet instead of fighting Revan and his cult.

Revan himself is pretty badass but he doesn't come across as a brilliant strategist at all, and the way they justified him being the villain in it is fucking retarded.
>>
>>315319836
HK-47 is in both.
>>
>>315320694
to be fair though, a lot of Revan's strategic brilliance was added to his character retroactively in KOTOR 2
it was strange to meet characters in that game that knew Revan better than you did at any point during KOTOR 1 despite you know, player as him
>>
>>315320694

Oh well. I still wanna play the new shit either way some day.
>>
>>315320463
I've played Shadow of Revan.

BIG spoilers below:

After the Imperial party (only imp characters fight Revan) defeats him and he vanishes into the force or whatever, he re-appears having started up his cult again, his goal being to give the Emperor (whom the JK character fought and destroyed his corporeal body) another body so that Revan can finish him off permanently. He doesn't realize that by doing this he will essentially be giving the Emperor what he wants and killing all life. All the characters and you are confused as to how he can still be alive since he was known to be dead. You fight his underlings for a while, and eventually chase him to Yavin 4. You have the option of forming your own raid group to fight him OR to fight him solo with the help of the major characters (Theron Shan, Satele Shan, Darth Marr, Lana Beniko, & Jakarro). Either way you do a REALLY FUCKING GOOD AND COOL raid boss fight against Revan. Once he is defeated, you find out his dual personalities (dark side & light side) split after his defeat by the Imperials, and his dark side self was orchestrating this all along without the light side self, leading to hurr im stupid evil. The light side self gives cryptic messages throughout the storyline, you don't find out about him until just before the boss fight. Anyway, once he's defeated, they merge again and become one entity, which promptly finally kills him, and now Revan is dead (for real this time)
>>
It's a robot

No edgy backstory required
>>
>>315321154
that sounds bloody fucking stupid

even for modern bioware
>>
>>315321154
That sounds so fucking effective.
>>
>>315321154

I ain't clicking, no offense. If its bad i'll experience it myself. Appreciate the spoiler tags however.
>>
>>315321307
I guess.

When I write it all down it does, but while I was doing the expansion it didn't seem that bad. The only thing that seemed far fetched was the split personality with dark side controlling his dead body thing.
>>
>>315321349
What the fuck? Retarded.

God damn it it's a word filter isn't it
>>
>>315321517
No, you just typed the wrong word.
>>
>>315320007
HK-50 detected, get out of here you cheap imitation.
>>
>>315321307
>>315321349
I recently finished their newly-released expansion Knights of the Fallen Empire. At least, they released the first 9 chapters of it anyway, there is supposedly more to come.

Want me to sum up the retarded story to that too? Its even worse than SoR.
>>
>>315321772
it can't be worse since at least its not taking a dump on a beloved character that should have had a VASTLY better storyline than "that"
and here I was thinking that one fucking book crapping all over the exile (and T3 while they're at it) was the worst
>>
File: 1418219741667.png (191 KB, 392x336) Image search: [Google]
1418219741667.png
191 KB, 392x336
>>315321772
>even worse
>>
>>315321772
It's not worse than SoR in my opinion, but still not very good either. It's pretty much what you can expect from Bioware these days though.
So far Valkorion is the only saving grace.
>>
>>315322481
Valkorion is easily the dumbest part of the expansion.
>>
File: Sion_Korriban.jpg (173 KB, 692x547) Image search: [Google]
Sion_Korriban.jpg
173 KB, 692x547
>>315321772

Lay it on me. I sustain myself with my hatred for Bioware.
>>
File: witty response.png (828 KB, 1025x768) Image search: [Google]
witty response.png
828 KB, 1025x768
>>315318665
>>
>>315322928
Ok here we go.

I might have to split it into separate posts.

Darth Marr contacts you saying hes hunting down where the Emperor went to at the end of SoR (he laughs and does a big explosion thingy then vanishes after the Revan boss-fight), you go to his Imperial Star Destroyer and the both of you are promptly ambushed by a MASSIVE fleet that completely fucking wrecks the ship. You release the docking clamps allowing your companions to escape on your ship but leaving you behind with Marr. There is a darkside/lightside choice of whether to crash the ship into another enemy ship or tell the crew to evacuate. Naturally, Marr is a huge fedoracore who approves of killing everyone for the sake of blowing up one ship. Cut to black. Later, you wake up in a prison with Marr having been captured by the Infinite Empire, who used their Infinite Fleet to wreck Marr's ship. Both of you are marched to the Emperor of this Infinite Empire, who surprise surprise, turns out to be the same Emperor from the Sith Empire with a different body. He also has two children (did have 3 but one was killed by his brother). He makes a speech full of bullshit, and asks Marr to kneel before him and serve him again. Marr refuses, being pissed that the Emperor ignored his first empire in favor of this one, and is promptly blasted into death by an insanely bloom-enhanced force lightning from Valkorion (thats the Emperors new name). Valkorion makes the same offer to you, and if you accept, his son Arcann stabs him in the back, puts the blame on you, and imprisons you. If you refuse his offer, Valkorion tells Arcann to kill you, Arcann instead springs you free of your restraints and starts fighting his father, who blocks his lightsaber strikes by holding his hand up. Sounds dumb but it looks really cool, wish sages/sorcerers could do it.
More to come.
>>
>>315321154
on the bright side, the guy who voiced revan did a great job and was the same guy who voiced kyle katarn
>>
baka desu senpai
>>
>>315323912
>best thing about this mmo is the voice acting
damned by faint praise if I ever head it
>>
>>315322598
that would be Koth
>>
>>315323779
Of course Arcann loses the fight against Valkorion, until you pick up his lightsaber and stab him in the back. In both cases, Valkorion does a ritual thing while hes dying to infuse himself with you and you fall unconscious. Arcann puts the blame on you, and imprisons you in carbonite and becomes the new Emperor in both cases. While in carbonite, you have a really trippy dream sequence with Valkorion (who is now in your mind as a force ghost or something), where he tries to corrupt you and turn you to his side. Later, you are woken up from carbonite (though still poisoned from it) by Lana Beniko who has come to break out the 'Outlander' (thats what the Infinite Empire calls you), as you are, and I quote 'the only one who could stop them'. She does this even if you are not a force users, which I personally think is really stupid. Anyway an escape-from-prison sequence follows with you periodically suffering from carbonite poisoning, there is another lightside/darkside choice towards the ending involving a reactor that Vaylin (Valkorions daughter) overloads in order to kill you and everyone else in a large area. If you stay to shut it off, Lana gets pissed at you and bitches but her pilot Koth (he's a huge faggot nigger with a hard on for valkorion, trust me on this one) approves given his status as huge faggot nigger. Either way, you fight some Knights (new enemies with lightsaber-pikes and shields), and escape, only to immediately take a hit from anti-air turrets and crash in the swamp outside the prison complex. You dick around in the swamp for a while until you find a huge ship half-buried in the muck called the Gravestone, which has a deus ex machina 'omnicannon' which is capable of blowing up hundreds of ships at a time via some sort of chain reaction thing. Its 'the only weapon that could defeat the Infinite Fleet'.
More to come, these were just the first 4 chapters.
>>
>>315323779
So if you choose to side with the Emperor he dies? And if you choose to side against, he somehow just lolno to his son and lives?
>>
>>315317857
Aggravated Response: Because you're a dumbo who didn't actually read the post through.
>>
File: 1392088707491.jpg (110 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1392088707491.jpg
110 KB, 400x300
>>315324408
>omnicannon
you were so fucking close bioware
>>
>>315324408
>freezing in carbonite
anyone else sorta pissed how common this became?
It didn't seem like anything close to standard procedure in the original trilogy when first used, more like something Vader thought of on the spot as something that could actually restrain a force user for a prolonged period
>>
>>315324408
You fix the gravestone with Koth and Lana, are attacked, during the attack Lanas in trouble and could die. Now you have to understand, this expansion makes a REALLY BIG DEAL about companions being permanently killable. They do this with Marr, and later again to illustrate this. Valkorion stops time somehow and offers to save Lanas life if you give him control for a moment. I opted to do so since I didn't want her to die, despite being a lightside jedi knight. Not sure what happens if you refuse, but he blasts his extremely bloom-enhanced force lightning out from you in a wave destroying fucking EVERYTHING that was threatening you and Lana. Another character joins you here, a rogue Knight (can't remember her name, sorry, shes just so forgettable). Koth hates her guts. Anyway after the fight you fix the Gravestone and take off, and head to a neutral smuggler outpost. There you do a bunch of pointless shit and meet Tanno Vik (hes a trooper companion), and have to save Koths crew of engineers from him to finish fixing the Gravestone. You also follow the rogue Knight to a secret spot and meet her 'friends' which turn out to be the Scions. The Scions were a group of force users who had visions of the future and followed them like zealots, believing destiny can't be changed. They used to serve Valkorion, they idolize him like Koth does. You go through a bunch of trials, they realize that Valkorion is living inside your head and reveal it if you have not done so already to Lana and the others. After this you leave the outpost and go back to Zakuul to find the 'lady of sorrow'. Once you get there, you tromp around the undercity slums for a while until you find her, she turns out to be SCORPIO (imperial agent companion). You also kill some zealots along the way, and of course some fucking recognizes you, and Arcann follows you when you leave with SCORPIO to the smuggler outpost. He ambushes you there with Vaylin and an army
>>
File: 1373488327850.png (81 KB, 259x377) Image search: [Google]
1373488327850.png
81 KB, 259x377
>>315324990
I don't see much of a problem, it might just be you
>>
>>315319836
Wrong, that was HK-57
>>
File: 4chan 8th birthday.png (93 KB, 281x353) Image search: [Google]
4chan 8th birthday.png
93 KB, 281x353
>friend convinces me to play TOR with him
>Roll up a Trooper, he plays a Jedi Knight
>It's alright
>we do a flashpoint together, the first one on the spaceship
>It's hysterical, we wanna do more
>His computer breaks down two days later

I still have that Trooper sitting there waiting.
>>
>>315325137
is there any reason what so ever this is an mmo?
because that shit is just 100% singleplayer storyline
>>
>>315325601
It's basically a very short modern bioware game inside of an MMO with everything that entails.
>>
>>315325728
so mobile game levels of moneygrubbing as only excuse
got it
>>
>>315325137
Arcann & his army kill all the Scions and he has a confrontation with you in the Scions 'throne room'. He tells you that if you surrender your companions will be free to go, he will take the gravestone and put you back in carbonite until he, and I quote 'finds a way to rid you of his father'. Arcann REALLY HATES Valkorion by the way. If you accept, Valkorion gets extremely pissed at you, and intervenes, appearing as a force ghost and telling his son he will never be rid of him unless he kills the Outlander (you). Arcann then attacks you. If you refuse the deal, Arcann attacks you. You fight for a while, but your duel is interrupted by a mortar shell or something similar landing directly on the building you're in, collapsing it and separating you. You escape from the building and return to the Gravestone, fighting through the Infinite Army all the way. Koth tells you that they are controlling the docking clamps and you have to go release them. You take Lana and do this. Rogue Knight, Koth and his engineers stay to defend the ship. While you are gone, Rogue Knight gets into a duel versus Vaylin. Now, the game goes through a lot of trouble to illustrate just how stupid strong Vaylin is with the force. She's seen ripping blast doors off their hinges, crushing 6 peoples throats at a time, ect. All while being stupid evil (tm) alignment. For some reason she does not use this against Rogue Knight and instead fights with lightsaber, which she is not very good at. She eventually loses but Rogue Knight will not kill her. This is where its revealed (if you didn't investigate earlier) that Rogue Knight is Arcann and Vaylins mother. They don't like her either. While all this is going on, you and Lana fight to the docking clamps. You see Tanno Vik again fighting against the Empire with his gang. Lana, Tanno, and the gang stay behind to block the reinforcements to let you get to the clamps. You go on with HK-55.
>>
>>315325843
pretty much

it's episodic content as well
>>
>>315325728
That doesn't sound bad in concept, but I don't have the patience to slog through the leveling content again nor the desire to throw more money at TOR.
>>
>>315325845
This sounds like such blatant "we need to manufacture more setpieces and confrontations" style writing.
>>
>>315325845
Wait wait, it's possible to find out that late in the game that Senya is Valk's ex-wife? How is it possible to fuck up enough for her to not spill the beans during the Scion trial?
>>
>>315325845
I like how the story for the last two expansions is clearly made for a force-user character even though half the classes are non-force using.
>>
>>315316940
He wasn't really much of a character in the original. He just gave you funny vignettes about his former masters and occasionally gave a witty remark about your choices.

HK-47 in II was GOAT though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPeI4mX8Nus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr81SliHytA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hab3R_TRazg
>>
>>315325845
If all this shit was free I'd actually might be enticed to try it. Maybe. I couldn't really stand the gameplay though 1-60 was grindy as hell.
>>
>>315317082
actually his programming turning him out to be funny was an accident

Revan initially only kept him around because he was entertaining the way he made fun of Malak
>>
>people still think TOR is a MMO
TOR is a single player RPG with an optional multiplayer MMO component, literally.
I mean I did literally all the quests on my mains for each faction (JK for Republic and Inquisitor for Empire) and then just did only the class specific quests on other ones (since there's no point in doing all the non-restricted quests twice unless you're really curious about outcomes).
Took me 2 months but I honestly don't feel it was a money spent bad. I enjoyed half of the stories and the other half was passable. Left a 20$ buck hole in my pocket, that's how much I paid for the 60 day prepaid subscribe card.

Friendly advice to anyone wanting to play TOR just to do the story, don't bother with F2P since it has too many restrictions that will piss you off greatly. Just grab yourself one prepaid card and enjoy whichever stories you want to do. Jedi Kinight's story is quite literally KotOR3 basically if made by BioWare. Sith Warrior's is set directly after events of JK's story and serves as a nice counterpart to it. In terms of writing though Imperial Agent has best story. Then next best are Bounty Hunter and Inquisitor. BH is doing what you'd expect from a BH story (straightforward but effective) and Inquisitor (who starts as a slave) is from zero to space indiana jones to machiavellian prince. Then you get into the bad ones which are Trooper, Smuggler and Consular in order from best to worst. Trooper is just horribly boring and the ending to his story is you still being a literal punk in the army so no satisfaction there. Smuggler was written by Hamburger Helper and is full of cliches and is also painfuly boring. His story feels like a romantic fanfic written by a hambeast, and guess what, it is. And then you've got Consular who is the most boring shit I've ever seen. Monotone voice, moralfag attitude and choices, POLITICS POLITICS AND MORE POLITICS BUT THE BORING PAPERWORK KIND. IT'S JUST SO FUCKING BORING HOLY SHIT.
>>
>>315326984
> grindy as hell.
ToR is easily one of the least grindy MMO's out there.
>>
>>315327157
>skip F2P
>buy it for just two months pls
this is the most desperate, pathetic shill I've ever seen
>>
>>315327157
F2P restrictions aren't that bad. I finished 2 storylines without paying and enjoyed them for what they were.
>>
>>315327157
To finish off, since field was too long.

The worst part is that Consular is semi critical to overall story so you should at least force yourself to play that one out of the bad ones.
And that's about it regarding the class stories.
So again to iterate
God Tier: Imperial Agent
Very Good Tier: Jedi Knight, Sith Warrior
Good Tier: Sith Inquisitor, Bounty Hunter
Bad Tier: Trooper
Very Bad Tier: Smuggler
Very Bad and Very Boring Tier: Jedi Consular

>>315327472
Did you even miss the part where I say IF you really want to play TOR? If you're not interested in TOR just don't bother at all obviously you fucking retard.
The F2P model it has is one of the most limited if not THE most limited I've ever seen. It's so horribly butchered that it's virtually unplayable.
You only get 2 hotbars, 8 slots of bank space, can't wear Epic and Set items, can only do 1 dungeon and one battleground per week, can't do raids, halved XP rate, no fast travel, only slow mounts. It's awfully grindy and just makes you want to kill yourself if you play this F2P. I mean sure play it in F2P if you're a masochist but personally I'd rather not play at all if my only options were F2P or nothing.
>>
Posting the best lines he says.

>>
>>315327965
clever shill
>>
>>315327965
Don't bother. It's been almost four years and you still can't say anything positive about it here, even when you surround it with criticism, without getting called a shill.

I found BH just as dull as Trooper. I get that you're a bounty hunter so it should be about hunting bounties first and foremost, but it just wasn't compelling.
>>
>>315328159
If I were a shill I'd be telling you it's a goty and telling you to buy a permanent 12 month sub instead of just doing class stories (and all the other quests once per faction on any of the characters) and dropping the fuck out of it.
>>
>>315328746
That's why I said it's a good but straightforward story. It's everything you'd expect from a Bounty Hunter but with nothing that breaks the norm so if you expected some huge plot twist that deconstructs the concept of a BH then basically you're setting yourself up for disappointment.
For me Inquisitor's indiana jones part of the story was what I found dull and not compelling, but outside of it I really liked it. It's also why I rate it as good instead of very good cause the archeological aspect of it is hit or miss.
>>
>>315328815
That's why you're a clever shill.
>>
>>315327167
I wouldn't know anymore, since I stopped MMOs long ago but back when I played during TOR launch, it was boring as fuck. I don't mean that leveling up took a long time, cause the only MMO that I played that was faster was WoW which got casualized to hell and back during Cata.

However, the combat was boring as shit, and was more of a chore to me than anything else. It's sad that given how bland it was I'd even agree with Hamburglar Hepler in that there should be an option to skip combat and just go straight to the talking. One thing that really pissed me off was that due to the MMO element the lightsabre animation choreography was inferior to the ones in KOTOR1/2 because you aren't allowed to lock yourself in turn-based animations which KOTOR did, allowing each round to look fancy instead of hitting a fucker and having him not even react properly to it.

But I digress. Another big problem was I was more interested in discovering the choices, and unlike a single player you can't just make a bunch of save paths and trying to explore all dialog conversations when you don't know which ones are mundane and which ones branch out would not only require an insane amount of f2p accounts, it would require magnitudes greater of grind than most MMOs since those don't have shit repeating just for the talking heads.
>>
File: 1418781642530.jpg (1 MB, 5126x3716) Image search: [Google]
1418781642530.jpg
1 MB, 5126x3716
>>315318620
>>
>>315329397
That's not how shilling works anon, but whatever helps you sleep at night.
>>
>>315329816
It's how desperate, last-ditch shilling works.
>>
>>315329467
I always hit escape towards what I thought was the end of a conversation just to go back and see the other outcome. It's a shitty workaround, but you get to see at least a little more.
>>
>>315318620
But KotOR1 (and 2) is canon by extension of TOR being accepted into Disney canon.
Also Disney's policy is that everything they re-release is canon, KotOR 1 and 2 fall under this due to their iOS re-releases (and K2 on Steam).
Contrary to the memespouting you hear about TOR, it didn't retcon KotOR2, but instead ignores it. As in it just mentions yeah there was a Sith Triumvirate, yeah there was a Jedi Exile that destroyed it and rebuilt the Jedi Order, but that's it. KotOR1 actually falls into the same boat outside of Revan appearing in a major role.
Also another popular lie is that Exile was retconned to be Revan's lover in the tie-in novel set between KotOR1 and TOR. That's flat out not true, Revan actually gets rekt and Exile goes to save him (and succeeds) and gets a message from Bastilla to him how she loves him and with photo of their kid. Revan tears up and laments he can't be with his family but saving the galaxy is more important, then they go together (taking T3 and a rogue Sith Lord with them) but Revan gets rekt again so the Sith Lord in last ditch attempt to save himself from execution for treason kills Exile by stabbing her in the back and pretends he was undercover all along.
>>
File: Kotor-2-sith-lords.jpg (234 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
Kotor-2-sith-lords.jpg
234 KB, 1280x960
I like how everyone in KOTOR 2 but the Exile has major personality disorders. It's like you gathered your followers from a mental clinic.
>>
>>315330490
In 2, HK remarks how the party members of the previous Ebon Hawk were caricatures unable to resolve their most basic personality conflicts and mockingly imitates them.
>>
>>315330490
I disliked how everyone is the most important and significant person in the galaxy in their own way.

>Atton, just a rogue? Nope, a fucking normal dude so skilled he literally reckt Jedi for a living.
>Bao-Dur, just a soldier? Nope, the one techie responsible for the whole destruction of Malachor
>G0T0, just some drone? Nope, the one and only boss of the whole galactic underwordl
etc.
>>
>>315328746
Well with good reason. TOR is a failure of a game in many ways. I'll play the shit out of it, but it has problems.
>>
>>315330490
>>315330682
Video link, always worth a rewatch.

>>
>>315330752
Sure it's a massive failure, but we don't have to resort to the usual bipolar shitposting by pretending there isn't a single enjoyable facet to it.
>>
>>315330849
>>315328145
>>315326845
>Exact same video posted three times in the same thread.

For good reason, its hilarious. Looking back, I really dug Carth more than Bastila that boring stick in the mud.
>>
Yo does anyone got any pics or a link to pics of those funny ass forum posts and bad PR from TOR?
>>
>>315317082
Droids in star wars develop emotions and personalities after awhile though
I mean look at r2d2
>>
>>315331054
I probably should have checked whether it was posted already. There are a lot of things I should have done in my life. I did few of them.
>>
>>315314870
Deadpan delivery
Lack of ego
No way it's a self insert
>>
File: bait 111.png (80 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
bait 111.png
80 KB, 625x626
>>315317082
>It is AI so it is incapable of emotion.
>>
Any self-aware AI will inevitably develop a personality and emotions.
Self awareness + basic intelligence by default always result in development of personality and emotions.
You could say that emotions and personality are a side effect of those things.
>>
File: 1446491700559.jpg (55 KB, 457x566) Image search: [Google]
1446491700559.jpg
55 KB, 457x566
>>315327000
>ywn have an assassination droid capable of humor and killing literally everything while making fun of your meathead apprentice
>>
File: 1395000318045.jpg (23 KB, 350x328) Image search: [Google]
1395000318045.jpg
23 KB, 350x328
>>315330376
Great plot. Truly this can only be from Bioware, one of the greatest story tellers of our generation.
>>
>>315331812
That one was all Karpyshyn.
>>
File: 125.png (66 KB, 680x510) Image search: [Google]
125.png
66 KB, 680x510
>>315319739
I like how glaring the references to Phantom Menace are.

Subtle is not the word
>>
>>315331812
That's not even a summary of the novel, just the last 50 pages.
Also you do realize it was written by the writer of KotOR1 right and it had nothing to do with BioWare right?
>>
>>315330376
That whole synopsis sounds like shit.
>>
>>315331162
I think astromechs and protocols just naturally have personalities and "emotions".

There are droids that gained legitimate sentience for a fact though.
>>
>>315332143
Post above yours memester
>>
>>315321154
>his light and dark side split
Literally fucking fanfiction tier. Who approved this?
>>
>>315331668
It's hardly inevitable, unless you count some quirks (failings) as personality. A sufficiently advanced inference engine, given adequate spatial and language perception, would suit pretty well anyone's definition of AI, and certainly wouldn't have emotions, nor would it have the capacity to develop them.
>>
>>315316843
>Dickass people are not.
I disagree and cite Archer
>>
>>315318620
And? Does something being canon or not somehow make it less enjoyable to experience?

Canon is a fucking retarded concept anyway, because it's just people arguing over what shit that never happened didn't happen more than some other shit that never happened.
>>
>>315330747
>>315330490
>Atton, just a rogue? Nope, a fucking normal dude so skilled he literally reckt Jedi for a living.

Dude was repressed sadist who could've gone into serial killer tier had it not been wartime.
>>
When did Bioware stop writing characters I could enjoy?
>>
>>315333329
How should we know?
>>
>>315333495
How should I know how you should know?
>>
>>315332503
Except inference engine is nothing but a tool with no self awareness which is the very foundation of the concept of AI.

ALSO FUCKING 4CHAN WONT LET ME POST "CONNECTION ERROR"
>>
What happened to Bao Dur? He just disappears
>>
File: T3M4_kotor2.jpg (110 KB, 945x945) Image search: [Google]
T3M4_kotor2.jpg
110 KB, 945x945
has there ever been another character that improved so vastly between sequels?
in 1 he was a boring standard droid
in 2 he was the best party member
>>
Just for the sake of passing time, try naming three positive things you think Bioware excels at.
>>
HK 55 > HK 47 > HK 51
>>
>>315333938

The idea is that the longer a droid operates without a memory wipe the more of a personality it develops.

So he literally developed a personality between games.
>>
>>315334112
This is some kind of blasphemy.
>>
>>315334112
HK-55 is horrible m8
>>
File: Never forget.jpg (27 KB, 599x337) Image search: [Google]
Never forget.jpg
27 KB, 599x337
>>315314870

Never forget you, my friend :_
>>
>>315334245
Statement: Deal with it, meatbag.
>>
Which was the last genuinely good game developed by Bioware?
>>
>>315333845
Self awareness is a very vague term, so I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at. Any worthwhile intelligent agent could be said to be self-aware, as it needs to know its own characteristics in order to manipulate its environment.

I know some people use "self-aware" to mean that it can understand and explain its decisions, but even we can't do that a lot of the time.

POSTING ERROR
>>
Using the pacifist module through the whole game would have been amazing.
>>
>>315330358
I did that, except there's still choices you gotta make in order to access new choices within the stories you know? I'm autistic like that so TOR was a fucking nightmare once I finished Imperial Agent and realized if I wanted the full story I'd either have to youtube it which doesn't even guarantee every possible branch of dialogue or do it myself over and over. Just for ONE CLASS.

Even worse is unlike a single player you can't just replay a portion of the story that you find enjoyable over and over. You gotta start ALL the way from the beginning. I can't even imagine how painful it must be for someone who gives a shit about waifus but wants to conquer them all.

I also hated the look of 90% of the gear, so I wore the same shit for ages. Then once my subscription ran out I realized even if I f2p my companions will look like jokes cause I don't got enough slots on my preferred account which I doubt I even remember it's name and password, unless I delete them which is too much for me.
>>
File: Disney[1].jpg (139 KB, 1672x900) Image search: [Google]
Disney[1].jpg
139 KB, 1672x900
>>315314870
Hey guys, havin' a KOTOR thread?
>>
>>315332746
back to reddit!
>>
Because HK-47 is the first ever robot in star wars that doesn't look like they drew an eyeball on some random piece of shit from a garage sale.
>>
>>315314870

>Kotor 1 + 2
>HK is a well-spoken, very intelligent assassin droid with extensive knowledge on hunting jedi
>ToR
>Reduced to a boss battle who uses the very techniques he criticized when attacking the PCs

I hate EA.
>>
>>315317810
Objection : Should I butcher you, meatbag ? Or you prefer eyes pluck ?
>>
>>315314870
Self-awareness
>>
>>315314870
He reminded is that we're all just meat bags on the inside.

It doesn't matter if you're black, white, gay or straight, you're just a meat bag and you're probably better off being exterminated.
>>
>>315337557
The extensive knowing of hunting Jedi only came up in 2. 1 was just HK going "I killed lots of Jedi, yeah". There were absolutely no details about how he went about it.

So naturally why would you expect Bioware to respect that when they already made Exile into a pathetic loser and making Revan fall for shit he never would have according to KOTOR 2?

This is what happens when you have different people working on the same franchise, just like capeshit.
>>
>>315325887

You didn't hear? They made it so you can level 1 - 60 just doing class and planet missions, even for free players. The Epic Story XP was such a hit, they incorporated it into the main game.
>>
>>315326984

Shit, I should have replied to you as well when I made this post:

>>315338854

But yeah, you can level 1 - 60 just form Class/Planet quests now.
>>
>>315338992
Wait so Return of Revan and shit is all included? I thought expansion packs cost $. What does subscribing even do outside of p2w + cosmetic advantages then?
>>
>>315339656

You're right, the Revan stuff is subscriber only, but you only need to subscribe once, and you have access to it forever, even if you unsub. Unlike the new content Knights of the Fallen Empire stuff, once you unsub it's unavailable.

What I meant was, that as far as leveling is concerned, you don't need to do any side quests. You get enough XP form Class and Planet quests to level from 1 - 60 to just keep to those. I mentioned the Free Player thing because this story XP was only available to subscribers in May, but it was so so popular, they decided to just make it part of the core game, so free players don't need to do any side quest content to level either.
>>
>>315324990
Yeah, it's dumb. It was very obvious that in Empire that it wasn't something that was typically done to living organisms. The whole reason they froze Han was to test it and make sure it wouldn't kill Luke.
>>
>>315340565
I see. Still not enough incentive but it's a lot better than before I guess.
>>
>>315324990
>>315340938

>The whole reason they froze Han was to test it and make sure it wouldn't kill Luke.

This. This clearly was a process that wasn't really done before.
>>
>>315330376
Wait was TOR actually accepted by Disney?
Thread replies: 161
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.