[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Witcher 3
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 254
Thread images: 18
File: yen's ass.jpg (134 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
yen's ass.jpg
134 KB, 1920x1080
I bought this the other day since it's supposed to be one of the best games of the year, and I'm really, really struggling to see why people think so.

I'm about six hours in, looking for Ciri in Velen; I've done a couple side quests in an attempt to level up and get health items. But aside from the amazing graphics (pic related, i saw her bare assed, not sure why shes got pantsu here) and the deep narrative, I just don't see whats at all great about this game. I've been TRYING to have fun, but thats already a problem: it should be immediate, i shouldn't have to search for entertainment in a GOTY contender.

Does it pick up or should i just give this shit back tomorrow? What exactly has so many people so impressed with what I feel is a generic mash up of just about every western RPG I've played? Help me enjoy this game, I want to like something about it other then Yen's donk.
>>
>>315307575
Just take it back and quit coming to 4chan and gaming as a hobby. Trust me you'll thank me later.
>>
>>315307575
Lewd
>>
It's just a vocal group of CDPR fanboys who will be in denial about W3 sucking for the next year or so maybe, who knows

I would have warned you if I knew, anon
>>
>>315308458
this. the witcher series is literally considered poland's greatest cultural achievement so polacks will defend it to the death across the entirenet
>>
>UUUGH, WHY DO YOU GUYS SAY THIS GAME IS FUN? I'M NOT HAVING FUN.
>WHEN DO I HAVE FUN? YOU GUYS SAID IT WAS FUN!

Just take it back, you fucking baby. If you don't enjoy it, you don't fucking enjoy it. There's no secret to unlocking a game's fun. You obviously went into it wanting to prove people who said it was a GOTY contender wrong to fuel your contrarian boner.

Just take it back and stop whining.
>>
File: 1414774180826.jpg (56 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1414774180826.jpg
56 KB, 500x375
>>315308876
I was legitimately wondering if there was a point where the game picks up or new things happen that might get my interest, or if maybe people just enjoyed things about it that I don't.

I went into this game with an open mind, albeit being a bit suspicious since other GOTY contenders turned out to be less than amazing. You assuming I'm one of the many contrarians isn't out of line, but it is wrong, in this case.

Also, go fuck yourself with a rusty knife.
>>
>>315308458
>>315308609
This doesn't explain the near universal acclaim from magazine/website reviews. What is the actual allure of this game? How can so many people (polacks or not) think this was worthy of a 9/10?
>>
>>315309707
If you didn't notice, the masses don't actually care about gameplay anymore. Like that one year where Journey won most of the GOTYs
>>
>>315307575
You just need to go back to DA Inquisition. Thats your kind of game.
>>
>>315309707
I thought it was a good game because I also thought it was fun.
>>
>>315309508
if you don't like it then don't play it you fucking retard. it's not /v/'s job to help you have fun.
>>
>>315307575
>it should be immediate

Classic. Expecting fun immediately without challenge, rewards or anything else.

Just play candy crush or use coke for fast pleasure.
>>
>>315309707
Good characters.
Really good voice work all around.
A nice story that has some pacing problems.
Gorgeous and huge open areas to explore that don't just feel like copypasted bullshit.
Novigrad is probably the best city in video games.
The music is great.
The combat on the hardest difficulty is fun and lethal (until you pass a certain threshold where signs murder everything).

Whatever. You don't like it. You'll never like it. If you did end up liking it, you'd have to admit you were wrong about something. And we both know what you would never do that, even to yourself.
>>
>y-you only like casual games! thats why you dont like it!

Hello CDPR kiddies.
>>
>>315307575
i am in the same boat

get a decent pc, now i can finally run this, but
the game is not as great as i thought

horse controls are shit, and the game is designed for controllers and 'casuals' mostly

>press x to follow red shit on the ground
>press x to find yellow shit around
>follow quest markers

its not a bad game, dont misunderstand me, but its not great either

its sill miles ahead of neo-bioware turds and bethesda abominations
>>
>>315307575
So return it faggot.

I enjoyed the story, atmosphere, and other shit you dislike. Why would I care what you think and why would you care what somebody else thinks?
>>
Return it. It's an awful game. You fell for the CDPR shills like many before.
>>
>>315307575
>generic mash up of just about every western RPG I've played
That's what makes it good for me.
We barely get any proper western RPGs lately.
>>
>>315307575
It's a meme game like FNAF, nobody really likes it.
>>
>>315310732
That line used to work with Witcher 1, it doesn't work with Witcher 3 which is closer to Zelda than an actual RPG, has no depth to the gameplay whatsoever, and is arguably more casualized console trash than Skyrim
>>
Witcher is fuckking garbage
Stop listening to the shit eaters here.
>>
>>315307575
>waaah, please spoonfeed me. I'm too retarded to form my own opinions. I don't understand...

Fuck off faggot. Just play the game and see for yourself instead of shitposting here.
>>
hey guys I pissed on withcer 3 disk this morning
>>
>>315310287
Is DA:I worth twenty bucks?
>>
>>315309707
>This doesn't explain the near universal acclaim from magazine/website reviews.
Because reviewers don't play the game past the initial few hours. The critical path in Witcher 3 does pick up but the poor pacing, the fact that general quest variation is limited to: fetchquests, inspecting red things with detective vision active and slowly following someone while they chat with you like in Gears in of War, amplified by mediocre combat makes the game hard for anyone but the most dedicated of people to power through to that point and if you take a break the chances you'll be able to get back in go down exponentially.
>>
If you're getting burned out the only advice I can offer is to stop doing sidequests and focus on the story missions exclusively.
>>
>>315311821
It's barely worth the 40 gigs of hard drive space if you pirate it.
>>
>>315312535
Speak for yourself, bitch.
>>
>>315312882
this desu senpai
>>
>>315312882
Calm down Bronislazw. The game is excellent, but it has flaws.
>>
>I'm about six hours in, looking for Ciri in Velen

You rushing through the main quest line?
>>
File: 1446227035736.png (145 KB, 339x493) Image search: [Google]
1446227035736.png
145 KB, 339x493
>>315307575
>it's supposed to be one of the best games of the year
>Believing sonygger´s lies.
>>
>>315312838
That bad, huh? Thanks, I'll wait until it gets cheaper.
>>
It's simple, play something else. It's amazing how people don't understand the concept of opinions. It doesn't matter how much universal acclaim something receives, there will always be the chance that you personally will not like it.

Nothing wrong with you not liking it. It's not for you so play something else.
>>
>>315307575
If you aren't interested in the game with the bloody baron i'd suggest just stopping.

Did you play the 2nd game beforehand?
>>
>>315309838
>the masses

You're so above them all anon, so wise, so patrician. So full of shit.
>>
>>315307575
seems like you are up for some casual game senpai

fellout 4 is coming out next week

The Witcher series is a Patrician tier series - not for everyone
>>
I can understand opinions but...

"generic mash up of just about every western RPG I've played"

....is just flat out wrong.
>>
>>315307575
Stop judging it in every way that it becomes generic in your eyes, because you are purposely looking for those things. Instead, you should enjoy the world of The Witcher and take a dive into the game. If you can't, you might aswell give up playing games entirely or become just another filthy casual that doesn't really enjoy games at all.
>>
Well OP, congratulations, you've just learnt you either a) have ADD, or b) don't actually like RPGs.

If it's the latter I would suggest not buying RPGs in future.
>>
Whoa! The graphics are out of this world. PS4 is truly the best.
>>
>>315307575
I guess your sense of fun is really extreme.
>>
File: E7kTXSX.jpg (70 KB, 334x500) Image search: [Google]
E7kTXSX.jpg
70 KB, 334x500
>>315310287
>Witcher thread
>someone bitches about Dragon Age
Like clockwork.
>>
>>315313356

>The game is excellent

lolno
>>
>game has literally sold 8 million copies pandering to the most casual of casuals by removing nearly all RPG elements
>CDPR shills are STILL pretending Witcher 3 is a complex RPG
>>
>>315314828

CDrones can't accept that people shit on their God so they try to deflect to other fanbases.
>>
>>315307575
kill yourself for creating shitposting bait threads.
>>
File: image.png (138 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
138 KB, 640x1136
>>315309707
You know what explains the almost universal acclaim?

It's a good game.

Sorry you have shit taste.
>>
All of the Witcher praise is actually the entire population of Poland shitposting out of patriotic duty
>>
>>315307575
Witcher 3 is massively hyped and all its flaws are over looked because CDProjekt has successfully marketed themselves as a hardcore PC gamer dev making hardcore games for the hardcore PC gamer. People who bought into the master race shit love this and eat it up despite Witcher 2 and 3 being console-focused streamlined pieces of shit. And Witcher 1 is just slightly above mediocre. The Writing does not hold up throughout 2 or 3 and I can only imagine that people praise it because 1 had great writing.

tldr: console converts love it because it looks pretty and they can say theyre a hardcore gamer *presses button to refill all potions*
>>
>>315307575
I played it for a while and then dropped it in favour of Dragon's Dogma again.

Can't wait for the PC release.
>>
>>315310718
official witcher 3 review.

all non-quest related things you can find on the world are copy paste boring shit
no one will talk to you unless they are quest related and you have the quest that requires them
awful ui made for consoles and only 2 consumable slots, making alch spec a chore
no resource management, you just instantly get all your potions back for whats essentiallly free
enemys have 1, maybe 2, attack that they repeat over and over, making fights absolutely boring after an hour
level system only works to the games detriment, as youll quickly outlevel everything you have to do and it will all be easier than the game already is
coming across a SKULL WARNING SIGN monster should be exciting but it's not, because you know it fights exactly the same as all the others of its kind, only with more hp.
"cinematic" controls that ignore accuracy in favor of looking more natural
even death march is easy as fuck due to a lack of enemy attack variety and every ability you can spec into being way too strong
ciri sections are boring and unneeded and only serve to rob you of what could have been the one interesting boss fight in the game.
the final moments of the story seem rushed as fuck, from oh hi crones now we fight, to im eredin i have a secret, im dying my secret is this guy tricked us and i had no plan to deal with it, to oh actually geralt i didnt trick you
majority of loot is randomized and scales to your level. Nothing you find really excites you.
all enemies have an extremely short tether that you will cross unintentionally more often than not. At this point they ignore you and start walking back to the center of the area or hang around to get hit easily
witcher senses are only ever used when the quest requires it and is just hold right click to follow quest arrow. you cant actually track monsters or anything out in the world(and why would you need to? theyre all tethered to a small location and never move away)

6/10 game. Had potential, wasted it.
>>
>>315307575

Newsflash: Not everyone can enjoy the same kinds of games. If you're looking for instant gratification and not immersion and self insertion into a fantasy world, you should play a FPS or a hack and slash game instead. Maybe even a MOBA.
>>
>>315313969
this desu, when did /v/ get full of plebes?
2 or 3 years ago Tw2 was one of the biggest games here.
>>
>>315307575
>I've been TRYING to have fun, but thats already a problem: it should be immediate
Fucking lol

I'm done with this place
>>
>>315315413
>self insertion
it's not self insertion if you have to play a premade character
>>
>>315314617
>Witcher 3
>RPG
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 300x300
>>315315627
>>
all these cddrones on rampant defense mode

fucking topkek faggots. Your favorite game is shit tier
>>
>>315315345

You forgot:

Literally copy pasted enemies with different skin, if you've played 2 hours you've seen every enemy mechanic in the game

Open world on rails, you can only explore "points of interests" that are more fucking follow trail quests that lead to non-unique generic equipment and if you find a monster that is 5 levels higher than you he gets a bullshit shield that makes your hits do barely any damage.
>>
>>315315221
This.
Reminder that the Polish president LITERALLY gave Obama a copy of The Witcher 2 as a gift
The Witcher series is considered their crowning achievement as a nation and drives their entire economy, the Polish national identity is based entirely off The Witcher's success and they would all commit suicide on the spot before accepting that Witcher 3 is a 7/10 at best
>>
>>315315596

That's for the player to decide. Anyone can pretend to be the protagonist.
>>
>>315314816
o.O
>>
>>315315782
if witcher 3 is an rpg then tell tale games are rpgs
>>
>>315307575
Implying you aren't just a sjw transgender faggot that's mad there aren't enough niggers in the game
>>
File: 00000000000000000000000001.jpg (144 KB, 700x395) Image search: [Google]
00000000000000000000000001.jpg
144 KB, 700x395
>this thread
>>
>>315307575
From what I understand most people who aren't really into the witcher books/plot only played the story and thought it was Okay.

I played this shit for hours just going to towns picking up contracts and hunting down monsters the way Geralt would.

fucking loved playing it as though I was living one of the parts of the book where hes always hunting something.
>>
File: 1435625577897.gif (959 KB, 400x228) Image search: [Google]
1435625577897.gif
959 KB, 400x228
all these fanboys
>>
>>315310763
You can turn quest markers off.
>>
>>315315892
>Literally copy pasted enemies with different skin, if you've played 2 hours you've seen every enemy mechanic in the game
This. There's almost no variation with enemy AI.

1) Human AI
-----a) Shoot arrows
-----b) Bumrush

2) Monster AI
-----a) Attack Geralt one at a time
-----b) Drowner/nekker gangbang

Not to mention when you actually fight monsters the strategy based on encounter barely changes.

1) If flying, spam Aard and crossbow bolts
2) Else, smack it with your sword and spam Igni and alternate Quen
>>
All these sjw haters
>>
>>315313851
your mom's full of my load
>>
>>315308609
>Damn polacks made a GOTY that i can't run on my toster

this is just sad
>>
>>315307575
IF you haven't done it already crank the difficulty up to the highest level. Makes the combat a lot more challenging.
>>
>>315307575
Those are some great looking panties.
>>
>>315316150
How old are you
I'm curious
>>
>>315310718
Combat can't be fun on any difficulty, cus it controls like shit.
>>
>>315307575
shit game, shit series. drop it and play some other game.
>>
>>315316861
Nah you're just bad
>>
>>315310490

Holy fuck, don't be such a nigger, Ivan.

He was just asking if the game picks up, sort of how Deus Ex picks up after Liberty Island.
>>
>>315307575
dude the f*cking game sucks man it takes like 2000 hours to beat it. like i dont have time for that sh*t lol
>>
>>315316858
>>
>>315307575
It's the first true AAA ARPG released in a ridiculous amount of time. It's well paced and has got a really interesting plot, top-tier side quests, and god-tier characters/voice acting. It's also a incredibly vast game, both in size as well as content, with perhaps the longest main quest I've ever played through in a RPG. The gameplay might be mediocre compared to ARPG's like DaS and DMoMM, but it's still a lot better than the gameplay in previous games, as well as other modern AAA ARPG's, like for example Skyrim.

The game caters to the Story > Gameplay, crowd. So if that's not you, you might have a problem with it. Especially since it's so long. But if you are looking for a story driven game that you really have to invest time in, and God know, there have not been many lately, this is the game for you. It's almost the 2015 version of Planescape: Torment, both in good things as well as bad
>>
>>315317054
haha
>>
>>315307575
You think that's bad? I've spent 30 hours in the original Witcher, just got the quest where I've met the Lady of the Lake, and fuck me sideways this game is bad.

It's bad in the same way MGSV is bad; you play it because even if the gameplay is mediocre, the game constantly teas you about the story getting really good just around the corner. But it never happens.

I fucking hate those bait n switches.
>>
File: smhtbhfam.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
smhtbhfam.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>315307575
>not unlocking the secret true TW3 with Ciri protag and MGR-tier combat

menu screen related
>>
>>315317105
Planescape is an actual RPG that has meaningful character building and complex, heavily branching quest design.
Witcher 3 is basically Zelda
>>
>>315310490
If you don't like his post don't respond you fucking retard. it's not /v/'s job to help you have fun
>>
The only things keeping me from playing the series are the shitty combat and the Gary Stu main character
>>
>>315317391
>MGSV
>mediocre gameplay

haha jesus fucking christ what kind of games do you absolute FUCKING AUTISTS consider good?
>>
>>315317489
No it doesn't
It has one faggot who can't remember he was a cunt in his past life so he goes on an adventure
>>
There are no boring games, just boring people.
>>
>>315317417
>MGR-tier combat
Go fuck yourself, Witcher 3's combat is worse then DmC
>>
>>315314915
Real talk: I get burned out on the game quickly but I think it's legitimately a really good game. Definitely one of the best released in the last couple years; it's just a shame that you have to go through so many layers of carob to get to its creamy nougat center.
>>
>>315317636
Dark souls is the pinacle of action game
>>
Can anyone mount a defense for Witcher 3 that isn't just "well that's like just your opinion man, people find different things fun dude"
>>
>>315317760
nice reading comprehension lardass
(mgr's combat isn't good either)
>>
>>315317035
its a shorter game than DAi what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>315317664
That sounds really similar to Geralt
>>
Play until bloody baron questline. If that doesn't get you nothing will.
>>
>>315317489
I'll admit it doesn't match planescape in terms of branching quests(no 3d game is ever going to match planescape in that) but compared to modern rpgs it's pretty damn good in that department. The bloody baron quest line is one example, and choosing the new ruler of Skellige is another.
>>
>>315317983
Yeah thanks for proving my point
>>
>>315317886
It's not good but don't even try to pretend Witcher is even close to it on any level. Witcher combat was and remains ass
>>
There is literally nothing that anyone can say TW3 did well mechanically, as all of the gameplay systems are awful.

The only somewhat positive element was the graphics, which somehow was enough to blind people to the actual game.

If you take away TW3's graphics and evaluate it as a game, it would be about on par with the million other mediocre and forgettable third-person RPGs that just disappear into history.
>>
>/v/ still mad about witcher 3 not having enough people of color

get over it you fucking losers. poland is 99% white.
>>
>>315318131
You're welcome anon
>>
File: ss+(2015-11-01+at+05.25.37).jpg (62 KB, 453x710) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-11-01+at+05.25.37).jpg
62 KB, 453x710
>>315318181
sure senpai
>>
>>315318137
Again nice reading comprehension lardass
>>
>>315318037

You people don't undestand what the fuck branching means, witcher 3 has NO branching whatsoever, Witcher 2 had branching with the different story routes you could take.
>>
>>315318258
Ok stay mad you got rekt
>>
>>315318181
the story was good enough. I would be legitimately surprised if Fallout 4 turned out any better in the story aspect.

the only really terrible mechanics was the combat but since the game is largely about non combat and trivially easy encounters it's not that much of a pain.
>>
>>315317489
My point was mostly that, similar to PS:T, W3 lets the gameplay take the back seat in favour for plot and characters. And similar to PS:T, although PS:T is worse in that aspect, there are certain combat elements that seriously drag the game down with it.

Also, the different characters you interact with are perhaps the high point in both games.
>>
>>315318265
Neither does planescape
It all comes down to the same ending
>>
>>315307575
I'm in almost the exact same boat here. Except I started to really get into it, the first time I played as ciri specifically, I was staring to 'feel' the atmosphere. My major gripe is the combat, is it just me or is it clunky as fuck? Everyone says it's supposed to be strategic and all, but when you get mobbed, it it feels like the best strategy is just to go damage protection sign and spam your light attack. And the movement, dodging, blocking and lock on are very unresponsive. I enjoy the one on one duels with big difficult foes, not the trash mobs.
>>
>>315318383
>I would be legitimately surprised if Fallout 4 turned out any better in the story aspect.
Nigger MGSV will probably end up having a better story. Think about that for a moment
>>
>>315318181
Witcher 1 and 2 were great too, explain that then
>>
>>315318265
>miss out on quests and get different endings based on choices
>not branching
>>
>>315318482
The combat is DMC tier what the fuck are you talking about
>>
>>315318381
ok buddy
>>
>>315317636
Really? A game whose greatest grace is retarded AI you can fuck around with?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AbZjNfbcuk

You want me to find a better game than this?
>>
>>315318525
Explain what? TW2 was a somewhat solid, if a bit clunky, action game with a story that actually has decently compelling branching, but it's nowhere near a 10/10. TW1 is a great story wrapped in horrible gameplay.
>>
>>315307575
it's boring, repetitive, and extremely easy even on death march. i got bored the moment i landed on skellige.
>>
>>315318495
Well that goes without saying. Not having a story is better than a bad story.
>>
>>315318482
>Everyone says it's supposed to be strategic and all

No one has ever said this about TW3. If they did, they were trolling you.
>>
>>315318772
TW1 had great gameplay tho
>>
>>315318772
I'd say TW2 is a decent story wrapped in horrible gameplay though
>>
It's fun if you just want to immerse yourself into a generic RPG world for awhile, but if you're looking for a "great" game, best look elsewhere than this series.

If you're not okay with a fairly generic experience to get sucked into for a long period of time, I'd just trade it in for something else.
>>
>>315318525
The quests in Witcher 1 made you think you played an MMORPG. Literary "go here and collect 10 wolf pelts". Later on "there's a boss wolf, kill him".
>>
>>315318719
please show me what games you consider fun you fucking autistic nigger
>>
>>315318482
git gud fag.
what is yrden?
what is aard/light/heavy/rend combo? (admitedly you got rend/whirl too late)
what is whirl yourself into a safe position before counter attack?
what is bomb?
what is stacking alchemy bonus to kill them with half the effort?
>>
>>315318834
>I got bored the moment I landed on the map with the best quests in the game
Baka sempai desu.
>>
>>315318957
How the fuck is the Witcher's world generic
>>
>>315317935
no it's not, lmao.
>>
>>315309508
You might have started with the first one and found that easier to get into. Or even the second, since the first ones story and combat are so different from 2 and 3, and 2 is generally considered the best one.

Why do people always jump into a series and fucking bitch about how it doesnt grab them immediately?
Of course it fucking won't, that's not how it fucking works with a series like MGS or Witcher where you have a while bunch of "mior" events and characters that make up quite a large portion of the experience.
>>
>>315307575
You won't like the game unless you like the Witcher franchise and characters.
>>
>>315318482
>Everyone says it's supposed to be strategic and all, but when you get mobbed, it it feels like the best strategy is just to go damage protection sign and spam your light attack.
It's somewhat strategic unless you're fighting wraiths, nekkers or drowners (who just gangbang you until you die) since some weapons/signs work better on certain monsters (like Aard/crossbow vs. anything that flies) but for the most part all combat is the same loop of flippy shit > light attack/heavy if you dodged smartly and won't get DP'd by someone else during your long animation > use Quen/kite > repeat
>>
>>315319042
yeah that's a goalpoast set too far for me, man. i was doing sidequests and quests above my level so i was pretty high level, it didn't help that everything died that much quicker.
>>
>>315319130
>monster and fairies lol

fuck off retard it's literally generic:the world
>>
>>315319008
It's not that I'm struggling, it's just not very engaging when all I have to do is tank up and mash attack
>>
>>315319261
Are you playing on deathmarch?
>>
>>315319261
stop playing on easy
>>
>>315319130
Explain anything about the world that makes it really stand apart from another western fantasy setting?
>>
>>315319008
And three types of directional dodges for different situations.
If someone says W3's combat is boring - it's a sure sign he's playing on easy/normal and just spams LMB till everyone is dead.
>>
>>315319407
Witchers
>>
>>315319385
To be fair, the combat is a fairly common complaint for this game. If you're not intrigued by the lore and characters, it'd be pretty easy to lose interest overall.

Different tastes and all that jazz.
>>
>>315318991
witcher 3 :^)
fear
all of half life
all dmcs, even donte
and many more. and i dont even mention any multiplayer titles where having fun is just 1 invite away. they balance the fun and the challenge without having characters so retarded and theme so up its ass place 2 minutes away from destroying a whole base with literal horse shit.
>>
>>315319407
Roche/roach
>>
>>315318974
hold right click to follow quest arrow to kill monster is an improvement alright
>>
>>315319437
yep that's my experience with these types as well

"it sucks"
"on what difficulty do you play"
"normal, cause it's so frustrating, bad hitboxes, man, no i-frames, senpai, geralt gets stunlocked too often, it's really unresponsive, dude, i swear"
>>
>>315319437
>>315319385
Since when does turning the difficulty up make shit combat not shit? I mean DmC doesn't get better on Heaven or Hell
>>
>>315319547
Now explain Witchers, and how they're so interestingly unique from any other western fantasy setting's "special Order" that the Player Character happens to be a part of?
>>
>>315319008
>Yrden
Useless because enemies' aggro leashes are too short to take advantage of the alt-fire turret, and the only reason to use primary is to make katakans and wraiths less hittable.

>bomb
Not as useful as you'd think because enemy AI basically just bumrushes you so that by the time you throw the bomb you catch yourself in the blast even if you kite

>alchemy bonus
You mean like oils? Oh boy I love opening my laggy, cluttered, poorly designed inventory every 90 seconds to apply oils.
>>
>>315319385
Trust me, the combat isn't any better on Death March. It just means you die in 2 solid hits from an enemy instead of 3.
>>
>>315319703
>dmc games don't get better on DMD

just kill yourself retard
>>
>>315319743
They got monster shit inside them
>>
>>315319870
You're not supposed to get hit
>>
>>315319616
those games suck
>>
>>315319874
DmC not DMC.
DmC remains shit on all difficulties
It still plays better than Witcher 3 though
>>
>>315307575
>I bought this the other day since it's supposed to be one of the best games of the year

Why the fuck do you think you are confused? You bought expected to be a damn 10/10 game with everything in it expecting to be 100% good for YOU

Op your the delusional faggot
>>
>>315319407
More diverse creatures based on folk lore instead of Tolkien, The Crones, portals and dimension travelling. The only thing generic western fantasy about it is the medieval time period.

Sure, it's no Morrowind, but it's no LotR either.
>>
>>315320012
>>315319870
Yeah it turns Witcher into God Hand basically
>>
File: 1438821212759.png (156 KB, 330x319) Image search: [Google]
1438821212759.png
156 KB, 330x319
>devs retroactively change the story and fuck over the canon to satisfy talimancers
>GOTY
AHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>315319679
>>315319437
Keep pretending like death march does anything other than changing group sizes and health/attack values faggots.

All you need to do in this game to succeed in combat is the long dodge
>>
>>315307575
D-darn. Yet to play Witcher 3, I was thinking of ignoring her after hearing how much of a bitch she is. Now I'm wondering if I'll be able to romance every single girl in the game.
>>
>>315319870
>getting hit

>>315319437
>>315319679
>>
>>315319703
Playing on the hardest difficulty in the Witcher 3 forces you to diversify your playstyle and use more of the tools given to you instead of just spamming dodge and light attack. When players use more of the options the combat becomes more interesting. I'll admit though eventually you'll overlevel a lot of the non high level quests.
>>
>>315320186
>I was thinking of ignoring her after hearing how much of a bitch she is
ignore them, she's really not desu.
>>
>>315312535
>Because reviewers don't play the game past the initial few hours
This is bulllshit, if they didn´t they would not keep their job very long.
>>
>>315320053
>comparing a rpg and a dumb button masher

:^)
>>
>>315307575
If I only played and liked games that /v/ did, I wouldn't have any fun playing video games.
Just take if back or refund it if you're not having fun within 6 hours. I would say try for 10, but you're sounding like you have a pretty terrible time already.
Personally I love it.
>>
>>315320315
It's a arpg though
>>
>>315319957
That's Bloody interesting... and Dark... should Spawn some interesting ideas of special orders undergoing rituals and shit.
>>
The clunky auto movement, awkward and unresponsive motion and simplistic AI that can't circumvent dodge->hit cannot be justified by "lol try a harder difficulty". The combat is objectively bad and I have played the game on hardest difficulty without issue and actually liked the game overall.
>>
>>315320012
>>315319870
You're not supposed to get hit on the lower difficulties either. Enemies aren't smarter. The only difference is you die faster and then you get a false sense of satisfaction because you're "not like those casuals" despite playing the same fucking thing.
>>
>>315320413
Your mom is Arpg
>>
File: belittles.jpg (32 KB, 375x375) Image search: [Google]
belittles.jpg
32 KB, 375x375
>>315311542

>disk
>>
>>315315039
>CDrones
>shit on their God
>deflect
As if you are any better.
>>
>>315320535
Is she the Witcher 3 though?
>>
>>315320489
>clunky movement
>unresponsive motion

yep, excusesfag confirmed

protip - it's your fingers, not the game, senpai
>>
hey guys, witcher 3 literally has the worst gameplay ever made, can i get karma now?
>>
>>315311042
No way near as casual. Skyrim is just attack, attack, attack with maybe a spell or shout mixed in.

Witcher 3 at least requires you to dodge and roll etc. to be successful.

I actually do like Witcher 3, but it took a while to get over how massively overhyped it was.
>>
the story has become shit unfortunately but in my opinion the gameplay is still one of the best of all arpg's in the world

for those who like the gameplay but are looking for a better challenge, i can recommend these mods:

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/212/?
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/81/?
>>
>>315320526
Can we name games where you're supposed to get hit?
>>
>>315315813
So is yours, whatever that is.
> Anyone can pretend to be the protagonist.
Sure, but self insertion is for the people who are shit at assuming positions not their own, so it is definitely not self insertion.
>>
>>315320650
>karma
low quality b8
>>
>>315320730
TES as atronach
>>
>>315320650
upboated brother :^)

now let's got back to /r/fallout!
>>
>>315319748
>alt-fire turret
lol. you got it at atleast level 9 and the charge up is so fucking long the only appropriate way to use it is 1v1 boss fights. it will slow everything that try to bumrush you so you can elegantly slide away and counter attack. and you must dodge BEFORE they start attacking, take into account their comrade's positions to avoid jumping straight into a clawy embrace.

>not as useful as you think
because you never plan ahead when you see the enemies in the distance. and who fucking soft lock throwing friendly fire aoe really. do you even play any rpg past normal at all? this isnt dank souls where enemies take 2 minutes to run to you and "grenades" detonate in a 2 inch spheres. they have saved me many time when my signs arent ready. you also get stunned less than enemies when you get hit by a bombs. some bombs like moon dust, or the freeze bomb might stagger you a bit but wont hurt you, only disable the monsters.

oils usage that can be increased with skills and give 50% damage+base+weapons+75% backstab+x%weapon crit dam bonus+thunderbolt bonus+decocotions that last for hours. I bet you dont even know how to use blizzard.

decoction that last for hours and multiple the damage base on various conditions
>>
>>315309707
Focuses on story and looks nice.

That's all "journalists" look for these days, they all suck at playing games so even shallow stuff like The Witcher seems deep and complex to them.
>>
>>315320668
>Better than Skyrim
That isn't a low bar anon . The bar is on the floor if you put it like that You can do better than that
>>
>>315320526
The only difference is that you have to use more than 2 moves to kill stuff.
>wow, I have to use all the tools at my disposal to kill things? fuck this shitty combat
>>
>>315320764
responds to
>>315316053
>>
File: 1396810767057.gif (3 MB, 322x178) Image search: [Google]
1396810767057.gif
3 MB, 322x178
>>315320786
you are a sleuth
>>
>>315320952
I'm just defending it against comparison to Skyrim. It's much, much better. But like you said, the 1-10 scale starts with Skyrim at the bottom.
>>
>>315320792
but if you get hit you still die as an atronach
>>
>guys why isn´t this third entry of a series getting me hooked, I didn´t play the first two, read the books or some shitty wiki, but that couldn´t be the reason, right?
>>
>>315309508
If you don't enjoy the narrative and side quests with actual attention paid to them, try dragon age inquisition. Your side quests will literally be "take this to that place for +2 power and no additional dialogue".

TW3 has an amazing level of story detail, for me that's huge.
>>
>>315320526
The only difference is that the game actually punishes for getting hit on higher difficulty so it forces you to learn how to play the game
>>
>>315321097
yeah but you still need to get hit with spells if you don't have potions
>>
>>315320730
ever game where healing is a common item that is plentiful and dumped at you by the game.
And many others where this doesn´t apply.
>>
>>315316635
How is TW3 related to SJWs? This isn't fucking dragon age inquisition.
>>
>>315321261
TW3 is really really anti SJW
>>
>>315321261
don't reply to sjw/goober shitposter
it's low tier bait shit that you should have filtered long ago
>>
>>315321158
But they both have largely generic and uninteresting worlds. It's the same boring shit, but with "more voice acting".
>>
THE WITCHER IS A GARBAGE IP AND THE GAMEPLAY IS SHIT
>>
>>315307575
Im just going to ignore people like this from now on
>>
>>315321261
The San Fran gang of SJW thug journos went apeshit when they couldn't find any black people in TW3.
Basically the boss at CDPR came out and told them to fuck off and make games that would fit more their culture instead.
>>
this is why life is shti
>>
>>315319407
It's a backwards fantasy world, that was how the author intended it to be.

Elves dont live in beutiful cities, but are rather hobos and drug addicts.
Mages arent respected, dont live in tall towers, are getting hunted and repressed.
Protag isnt a knight in shining armor out to save the world. He's just after his own goal, while everyone around him, even his loved one is trying to use him.
>>
>>315321376
Triss says someone is way too fat, that alone would push away all the fat activist SJWs
>>
>>315321631
Wait are we talking about Witcher or Dragon Age?
>>
>>315321631
>Mages aren't respected, don't live in tall towers, are getting hunted and repressed
Take out the tower, and you've got Dragon Age mages, who are generic as fuck themselves

>Elves are downtrodden
Not unique, and also in shitty DA. Witcher does it better, but it's not unique.

Protag isnt a knight in shining armor out to save the world. He's just after his own goal, while everyone around him, even his loved one is trying to use him.
Oh, he's sort of an anti-hero, you say? How wonderfully unique in a western fantasy setting!
>>
>>315320714
If I knew how to mod - I'd make two changes to combat:
First - no food during combat, only potions
Second - dodgeroll now empties your stamina, as if you casted a sign
Maybet also add slower stamina regen but that might be too severe.
>>
>>315307575
>WAAH I DONT LIKE THING, WHY PEOPLE LIKE THING???
Guess what, my best friend likes games I think are liquid shit. I like games he thinks are liquid shit.
We are adults and don't waste our time on pointless things like trying to convince the other which game is shit and which is good.
>>
Play the witcher contract "Devil in the Well" or something like that. Required level 2, picked up in the starting town of White Orchard.

That subquest sold me on this game. All the enemies are so thought out - the game is just so DEEP.

It's not for everyone. But I'm hooked.
>>
>>315318630
I literally had to look away from the screen in awe after reading the stupidity of that post.
>>
>>315322268
There are numerous sidequests like that. Especially on Skellige.
I'll even say that some sidequests are more interesing than the main story.
>>
>>315322094
>this isn't unique because Dragon Age did it
Comparing DA lore to Witcher lore? Are you serious, nigger?
Guess which one was first. By decades, by the way.
>>
>>315308609
>>315309707
>>315315221

dem buttblast
>>
>>315321742
Witcher of course.
Dragon age flat out rip off the elves and mages.
Dragon age 2 rip off the role of the protags in the world.

Also the anon mistaked some stuff.
Mages arent hunted and repressed until a recent event. They are feared and respected but mostly acted like a guild of some sort with big political ambition. They also need a lot of money and manpower for their "magic" so they arent far removed from the mundane world. They also research into genetic, medicine, physic alongside normal scholars.
Protags is a man made mutants who only care about his circle of friends and adopted family. but due to being a superhumans and his own conection with mages, he often get pulled into social upheaval.
most monsters are actually aliens from another dimensions with their own habitat, varied level of intelligence, some has their own brand of magic etc...
>>
>>315322471
I bet you played on easy
>>
>>315322643
Giving recent examples in video games. The novels don't matter in this regard, since those tropes have been used repeatedly in fantasy since then.

You say it was "unique" decades ago. You can't say it's unique now.

This setting is generic as fuck.
>>
>>315322613
That's good to hear since they're very entertaining and climax with a huge fight against some otherworldly fiend :)
>>
>>315307575
Ehh, I get it man. I had the same thing with witcher 2. The only thing I can say is that you have to put story/graphics above gameplay to enjoy the witcher series.
>>
>>315320714
bce has stopped development and instant sign cast isnt that important. use this https://mega.nz/#!GNxlhaIZ!XNwK6XWu25YGHwvlOHXbYYKPMVEvD2yy4PcYNFkG018
known this by lurking the 'dex
>>
>>315316497
>Monster AI
>-----a) Attack Geralt one at a time

Gotta agree on the rest, but W3 is I think the only game in recent years where this does NOT happen. (At least at DM)
>>
>>315323231
Not all of them end in a fight.
The Black Pearl for example had a really unexpected ending, got me right in the feels.
>>
>>315322941
>One game did it = generic as fuck
k'
>>
>>315323360
Bloodborn enemies also attack in mobs
But that's because "programming" is alien to From.
Hardcore Baby.
>>
>>315323415
>only 2 settings have done it, ever
you have the internet now. kids don't have an excuse to be naive anymore
>>
>>315323309
>bce has stopped development
why? it was a very popular mod. what a fucking kek who gave up so easily
>>
>>315323415
cdp drones are the worst
>>
>>315322941
read
>>315320145
>>315322864

But in a way the setting is a lot more generic than for example, Lord of the Rings, since it's based on older tales and folk lore. But that is also what makes it interesting and special in a modern game. Most modern fantasy settings are just some fat dudes version of Tolkien.
>>
>>315316861
because dark souls is MUCH better right?????

if this was a from game it'd be getting gotyay left and right
>>
>>315323746
The argument was on whether the setting was generic or not.

It can be argued whether it's done in an interesting way, but there's no getting around it being generic.

It's okay to enjoy things like that.
>>
>>315320714
Ah, if that didn't nerf quen I'd use it. I liked attacking until they broke stun to do a counter and firing quen right as they hit so I could follow up.
>>
>>315307575
>i haven't even left the starter zone yet
>WOW GUYS WHEN DOES THIS GAME PICKUP?
Just leave.
>>
>>315323602
So if I ask for all these examples of other games using mages as some poorly veiled social commentary about marginalization I should expect "g-google it yourself" as an answer?
>>
>>315323657
I'm not sure about that but he hasnt updated since august.
Better combat evolved is still being updated, inspired by this with many similar feature too. But currently they are rebalancing the toxicity. My compilation use an old version of that.
Also the soft lock disabling mod is a fucking miracle to witcher gameplay.
>>
>>315324296
velen is not white orchard you dip
>>
>>315307575
OP, this is obviously because you are a casual scrub who needs to git gud and probably isnt even playing on death march and hasnt even left white orchard and didnt read the books and you can turn quest markers off

there you go, every response youll get
>>
>>315325103
>and didnt read the books
this

if you haven't read the books, like a legend used to say: ''FUCK OFF AND READ THE BOOKS''
>>
>>315325103
nice epic I like it
>>
>>315307575
Iuno man, I only played 2 and it was highly hyped and also pretty boring. The combat is just not that good and there is too much time spent managing items and talking to people.
>>
>>315325274
lol, really
>>
File: 1436090486392.gif (424 KB, 157x157) Image search: [Google]
1436090486392.gif
424 KB, 157x157
>>315316672
>>
I just bought the game to see how my GPU holds up. Just killed the griphin thing.

Think it's pretty good so far. UI isn't very seamless with KBM. Will have to play more to really decide how good it is.
>>
Here's that reply bruh. Hope youre telling your friends.
>>
>>315315345
this
>>
File: 951-0-1446502812.jpg (847 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
951-0-1446502812.jpg
847 KB, 1920x1080
LITERALLY JUST KEK ME UP SENPAI
>>
>>315315208
Yeah and CoD is the best series of all time
>>
File: 2015-11-03_00009.jpg (364 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-03_00009.jpg
364 KB, 1920x1080
>>315307575
I was the exact same as you OP, than I tried to refund the game and they didn't.

So I sit down and started a new game and paid attention to it, the game started to get really good and make alot of fun once I got to Novigrad and once I picked the alternative combat.
I've done almost everything in the game now, 200 hours in a singleplayer-action game and I am not even playing the DLC or the NG+ yet.

It's also my very first witcher game.
>>
>>315328139
I didn't even like the game that much until I finished the main questline. I liked the acting and characters, but the story and everything else didn't really click. After that I started to do all the secondary and witcher quests. Holy shit, the main questline is just the beginning. The same detail is present in literally every quest, be they small or large.
Thread replies: 254
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.