[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Chrono games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: Chrono Trigger - Camping-468x.jpg (35 KB, 468x310) Image search: [Google]
Chrono Trigger - Camping-468x.jpg
35 KB, 468x310
I beat Chrono Trigger a little while ago and lately I've been thinking about diving into Chrono Cross. I've heard some good things and some very bad things about the game. One of my biggest concerns is that I'll end up hating it and it'll actually be so bad that it'll ruin Chrono Trigger for me.

What did you guys think of it?
>>
>>313218568

chrono cross is one of the best games ever

if you don't like it you should literally kill yourself, i mean it too please take this for the face value offer of ritual suicide that it is, this is very serious in the tradition going back centuries to when nobles around the world would venture too far and lose too much to continue without shame and so they took their own lives
>>
>>313218568
My only criticism is way too many characters.
>>
>>313218568
It's a fine RPG on its own merits, but it's not really comparable to Chrono Trigger in any way, minus a few story elements (nothing significant). The game doesn't play the same. Most of the hate comes from "this isn't what I expected". So play it on your own terms.
>>
>>313219139
What if I didn't particularly like Chrono Trigger?
>>
>>313218568
The gameplay is really good and although the plot doesn't make sense if you try to connect it to Trigger, it's better to just think of them as separate entities. I think my only gripes with it are the magic system, lack of dual/triple techs, and weird "leveling" system. You don't actually gain levels, your stats just sort of develop and hit a cap until you beat a boss. Then it repeats. It's weird but you wind up not really noticing after a while. It's not like they made battles completely irrelevant. You still have to fight in order to get those stat boosts.
>>
>>313218568

Mostly CC is overdone, they stuffed the cast with dozens of characters in an attempt to make it more like Suikoden, combat has too many quirky mechanics, and the story tries to connect to CT in a way that really just makes people angry.

It's a top tier game but not without it's problems.
>>
>>313219298
Most of the CC butt hurt comes from people who had impossible to meet expectations. CC does have some flaws but's still a good game.
>>
>>313218568

The 40+ characters, 3D art style, and completely unrelated setting make it hard to accept as a Chrono game. Towards the end of the story there's a quest line and a convoluted explanation as to how it's supposed to connect to the first game, but it didn't gel for me at all. It'd probably be fine as a standalone, but I don't consider it a real sequel.

If you want more Chrono, buy the DS version, or give one of the two fan-hack sequels a whirl.
>>
>>313219298
I dunno. You might like it then. As I said they're not really comparable. Play Radical Dreamers first, it couldn't take you longer than 3 hours for a play through I would think.
>>
>>313218568
CC is okay, it's just convoluted as fuck.

It would have been a lot better if CT wasn't shoehorned in, which Kato was forced into doing.
>>
While we're talking about playstation RPGs, I remember this one I used to play that I thought was Chrono Cross but looking at screenshots clearly wasn't.

The combat system was weird, it was turn based but you could also combo the types of attacks you did I think? Male and female main characters, but I know that's vague.
>>
File: 1392136014296.gif (1 MB, 301x169) Image search: [Google]
1392136014296.gif
1 MB, 301x169
I love Chrono Cross more than I love Chrono Trigger, but it's an entirely different beast. It looks completely different, plays completely different, does a completely different variety of time travel, and explores completely different themes in its story.

I never really did understand how some Trigger fans felt that Cross ruined Trigger. The story of Cross simply can't exist without Trigger, and with respect to their own timeline, the crew of Trigger worked wonders for their own people, regardless of whatever chaos they wrought in Bizarro World.

One thing we can all agree on is that Chrono Cross has one of the greatest original soundtracks in the medium.
>>
>>313220235
Legend of the dragoon
>>
>>313220725
Correct me if I am wrong but I'm pretty sure cross made the worst possible endings of trigger canon. glenn gets killed, marles father dies, kingdom falls, chrono dies. magus cant even remember the events, lucca dies in a fire after raising a bunch of brats etc etc. etc. etc.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.