[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
tfw you can pinpoint exactly where FF franchise lost it charm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 1443489387815.jpg (4 MB, 800x8732) Image search: [Google]
1443489387815.jpg
4 MB, 800x8732
tfw you can pinpoint exactly where FF franchise lost it charm by just looking at the overworld.

Can you find which one?
>>
>>
15's looks promising though.
>>
>>313117070
>>
>>
7 was the last good overworld.

8 was almost fine but it had those blocky textures that ruins it.
>>
>>313117393
>it had those blocky textures that ruins it
The whole game is kind of like that.

I don't know why people say FF7's graphics age horribly (as if people didn't think it looked weird when it came out) and say nothing about FF8 or FF9. At least you can tell what you're looking at with FF7. It's not detailed, but if it was, it'd look like FF8: Horrible.
>>
>>
>>313120356
Yeah they very clearly tried to do too much with the textures, But those overdetailed textures were normal in a lot of games from that era. They just didn't know better.
>>
Overworlds were always the shittiest part of FF. I loved how X did away with it, there were still plenty of secrets.

I don't know why people cum all over the idea of exploration when you are exploring lands infested with random encounters
>>
>>313121602
Because they help disguise how dreadfully linear the average jrpg is. And in rare cases like FF6 and Chrono Trigger, they are sometimes actually used to a good effect.
>>
>>313117070
I like how so much of XII was desert or srubland. Nice change of pace.
>>
>>313121748

Yeah, I actually like linear games, or at least don't see it as a negative. But different strokes I guess.

Just always hated overworlds regardless. It was immersion breaking when a huge city was just a couple of pixelated tiny houses, random encounters, sometimes getting lost and either taking forever to get back, or getting wiped out by too strong monsters.

Meanwhile I thought X had amazing pacing. As soon as you get bored of one monster filled route, you get to some cutscene area for some exploration, or a city, or some dungeon puzzle section.
>>
>>313117070
>HD image of FFVII
>super shitty image of FFVIII and FFIX

yeah, fuck you Op.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.