[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>A game needs to be fun and/or interesting Do you agree with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: 1397783751703.jpg (46 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
1397783751703.jpg
46 KB, 720x480
>A game needs to be fun and/or interesting

Do you agree with this statement? If not, why?
Also, are horror games the only genre which gets away with intentionally not being fun to play?
>>
Wait is it true that the Madabots GBA games are now available on the Wii-U eshop?
>>
So long as it's compelling in some way I don't care if it's mechanically satisfying to play necessarily. Horror games like early Silent Hill being a good example like you mentioned.
>>
a game being fun or interesting is a result of a combination of other factors, you can't strive to make a game that's simply 'fun'

you can also have fun being scared, the two aren't mutually exclusive
>>
>>313039263
Some people find getting scared a fun experience. It's like a haunted house at an amusement park.
>>
Whether or not a game is fun to someone is entirely subjective.

Metabee, however, is objectively good.
>>
>>313039537
Yes, but only in Europe, as far as I know.

>>313039549
I was wondering if there is a better word to replace interesting with. I wouldn't consider REmake an interesting game, since it's a remake of a game with plenty of sequels, all being pretty similar and cliche.

>>313039628
>>313039763
Yes, that's true. But, I would argue that if you're having fun being scared, you're not actually being scared. You're playing a spooky game, not a horror game.
>>
>>313039820
people don't play scary games if they don't enjoy it, y'know
>>
>not having fun playing horror games

What kind of pleb are you?
>>
>>313039993
I didn't enjoy SH2 when playing through it, but it kept me going because I wanted to know what was going on. If the game's controls are tough to get used to or if I'm simply bad at it I don't know, but the game itself was definitely not fun.
>>
>>313039263
No I don't. Fun is just a buzzword when you can't actually think of any real reasons as to why the game is good, don't use it. Either way with horror games, being amused or entertained with something and being immersed are not the same thing. Not spooky enough.
>>
>horror games not fun
>implying
https://youtu.be/dKwPMUQyioI
>>
>>313039820
>spooky games
I'd like to clarify a difference between Luigi's Mansion and Layers of Fear.

Layers of Fear is meant to strike actual fear into one's heart to create a realistic experience which a lot of people find enjoyable.

Luigi's Mansion, aka "the spooky game" is meant to be fun and friendly to all audiences. It is in no way trying to legitimately scare someone.

Just wanted to clear that up.
>>
>>313040236
Amusing and entertaining are interchangeable with fun.
>>
>>313040236
Fun isn't a buzzword, but it's also not an argument

just because someone found something fun doesn't mean it's a good game, people are capable of enjoying trash
>>
>>313040362
>>313040450
S U M M E R
U
M
M
E
R

> It was a pasta, but good replies
>>
>>313039263

>Fun

Depends on the individual, what some people don't find fun, others will.
It also depends what you are doing in the game, players of games like RPGs and MMOs will spend time doing monotonous things which are deemed "un-fun" such as grinding or farming if they feel the outcome from these mundane tasks will increase there satisfaction in another aspect of the game.

Calling a video game a "game" implies it has been designed for the purpose of entertainment, thus designed to be fun. The game is not actually the digital environment the player is placed in, but the rules and goals that the player must follow and complete.

For instance, the original Minecraft (before any of the achievements or bosses were added) was more of a simulator than a game. What made it a game was the tasks the player set upon them self and thus gained enjoyment from complete. So fun is born.

>Interesting

Once again, depends on the individual. But generally speaking no, a game can be as bland and simple as fuck but still be a game.

Just look at something like Flappy Bird. Holy fuck does that one game basically reflect on how retarded the general populous is. The maybe only one redeeming quality of that game is that it might improve your mental focus, but there's a lot better ways to do it.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.