[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Thread about retro games being better than new ones deleted
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 9
File: 1423592716626.gif (663 KB, 500x446) Image search: [Google]
1423592716626.gif
663 KB, 500x446
>Thread about retro games being better than new ones deleted
>>
>>288420308

We have a board for retro games.

>>>/vr/
>>
>>288420442
That doesn't preclude all discussion on retro games from /v/ just as it /vg/ existing doesn't preclude discussion of a game that has a general.

Maybe don't be so autistic and literal with the rules next time mods. You nuked a videogame discussion thread, a rare commodity on /v/.
>>
You know who else says old games are better than new ones?

/vp/
>>
stop making threads about your shitty thread that was deleted. mods delete this one too
>>
>>288420308
4 free
>>
File: 1422648415487.png (603 KB, 744x1052) Image search: [Google]
1422648415487.png
603 KB, 744x1052
Maybe because it was a thinly veiled Hex Maniac thread.

Still pretty shitty on the mods' part but still.
>>
>Even if Nintendo made another 64 style game it would never be as good

Feels bad.

>>288420980

There was more video games than Hex.
>>
File: 313288-superm24.jpg (497 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
313288-superm24.jpg
497 KB, 1024x768
>>288421137

Forgot pic.
>>
Retro games > indie games >>> modern "le AAA" trash
>>
File: 1424613859038.png (170 KB, 403x393) Image search: [Google]
1424613859038.png
170 KB, 403x393
>>288421303

>Indie
>>
Let's make this into an actual thread - Would you guys say gaming got worse with time? Why or why not?
>>
>>288421740
Yes. Lucina is a living reminder of that.
>>
>>288420721
Mods going into a power trip and doing things incorrectly? How shocking!
>>
>>288421740
Worse overall. Grafix aside, games nowadays are missing features that were commonplace in older games.
>>
>>288421740

Yes, because they're too expansive to make so developers have to make everything inclusive to casuals.
>>
>>288420785
That's not true. Most people on /vp/ hate genwunners
>>
>>288421740
Reminder that it is all Rockstar's fault
>>
>>288421740
It got steadily worse since mid 2000,exactly when all the major japanese developers started to pander to the western market desperately by dumbing down all the major franchises.
>>
>>288421834
Lucina isn't so bad, she made me realize how handsome and fuckable Marth is.
>>
>>288422335

This.

People give Rockstar a free pass because they liked GTA as a kid because they weren't old enough to know any better.
>>
>>288422335
>>288422676
Not calling you liars or anything but what did Rockstar specifically do to single-handedly destroy the quality of games over time?
>>
>>288421740
I would say they got worse because they're way too easy. Yes, I obviously got better at games as I continued to play them and got older, but I don't think there's any denying that games today are easier than games from gen 3 to gen 6.

There's also a reason the SNES and the PS2 are considered some of the best consoles of all time. During the NES and PS1 eras, Nintendo and Sony and their developers were trying things out, seeing what their players liked and didn't like. The SNES was not just a different console, but the next step to owning an NES. Likewise, the PS2 was not only a different console, but it was the next step to owning a PS1.

Both consoles' games were designed in such a way that someone who played games like Metroid, Zelda, Mario, and Mega Man on the NES, would have more challenging, more refined versions of those games on the SNES (and same thing with the PS1 -> PS2; the games were designed for people who were familiar with the PS1 and its games).

Games were made for gamers. But Nintendo and Sony both learned that it's more valuable from the business standpoint to bring new customers in, instead of catering to their original audience and making something genuinely good.
>>
>>288422887
It made open world games very popular
>>
>>288420308
Glad the mods are doing their job.
>>
>>288422887
Not them but I would definitely say Rockstar is a contributor to the downfall of quality video games. They are considered so perfect and innocent and they have never done anything wrong, according to the majority of the gaming community. They're the ones pushing all these stupid stories like in GTA IV and GTA V, and they even slowed the cars way down after 3, VC, and SA, to make the game easier for shitties. And they even made the series into a cover shooter.

What are GTA games about? Driving and shooting. Rockstar did everything in their power to make cinematic gaming seem really "cool", and they casualized the 2 main things the games were about. And you guys loved it and acted like GTA IV was the best game ever.
>>
>>288421551
>implying there aren't some really fucking good indie games
>>
>>288421740
It got more popular, which meeans more people that don't understand the medium and more trash that gets made by and for them, but I'd say that there are still plenty of niche games for people who have more experience in the medium.
>>
File: 1400898496750.jpg (279 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1400898496750.jpg
279 KB, 600x600
>>288422887

GTAIII made it cool to hate anything that wasn't "mature"
>>
>>288420308
>posts about a thread about retro games being better than new ones deleted
>posts the newest and shittiest waifu
>>
>>288424740
That shit's been around since the early 90s at the very least, kiddo.
>>
>>288425783
Marth is an NES character and a male.
>>
>>288423395
>and they even slowed the cars way down after 3, VC, and SA, to make the game easier for shitties

I love it when some idiot who hasn't played a new game in over 10 years tries to talk shit about newer games.
>>
>>288425995

>A few babies thinking fatalities are cool
>Comparable to the game that ruined two whole generations
>>
>>288426159
I factually described something that they did to the games and you got mad and assumed I haven't played a game in 10 years because you had nothing intelligent to say.

Fucking moron. And you actually think you have a good point and you're gonna sit here and try to debate me.
>>
>>288426340
GTA didn't ruin anything.

And my post was in direct response to the claim that GTA caused people to gravitate to "mature" games, dipshit.
>>
>>288426532
>GTA didn't ruin anything.
Except they popularized cinematic gaming and made it seem really hip and cool and trendy to tone down games for casuals.
>>
>>288426476
>I factually described something that they did to the games

Except you didn't. If you had actually played GTAIV, you would know that the driving in the game is the most advanced the series has ever seen. It took way more skill to drive in GTAIV than any other GTA game. In fact, so many baddos complained about the driving that it got toned down for V. No one who has played the PS2 GTAs and GTAIV is going to claim that the PS2 GTAs had more difficult driving.

Next time do a little research before shitposting.
>>
>>288426790
>Except they popularized cinematic gaming

No, that was a slew of PSX games (and some SNES games, depending on your definition of "cinematic). In the 90s. Before GTA got popular.
>>
>>288426794
>Except you didn't.
Yes I did. They slowed the driving down you fucking lying sack of shit.
>If you had actually played GTAIV, you would know that the driving in the game is the most advanced the series has ever seen. It took way more skill to drive in GTAIV than any other GTA game.
By making it slower paced and easier? Right.
>In fact, so many baddos complained about the driving that it got toned down for V. No one who has played the PS2 GTAs and GTAIV is going to claim that the PS2 GTAs had more difficult driving.
It was faster paced and more fun in GTA 3, VC, and SA.
>Next time do a little research before shitposting.
Tell that to yourself. You're the one who thinks your biased opinions are more important than an honest description of how a developer changed a game mechanic between sequels.
>>
>>288427031
>By making it slower paced and easier? Right.
You have literally never played GTAIV
>>
>>288426912
Right, anything to take the blame off of your innocent little Rockstar. They've never done anything wrong. Name some. I need a good laugh.
>>
>>288426532

>And my post was in direct response to the claim that GTA caused people to gravitate to "mature" games, dipshit.

So you post Mortal "Second Fiddle to Street Fighter" Kombat?
>>
>>288427139
Yes I did, but you didn't play anything prior to IV, otherwise you'd know that they slowed it down for casuals such as yourself.

The reason they make these changes is for shitties like you in the first place. No wonder you defend these objectively bad game design choices.
>>
>>288427142
>Right, anything to take the blame off of your innocent little Rockstar.
Are you really denying the effect games like FF7 and MGS had on cinematic gaming? Or the slew of PSX games that had FMV? How old are you? If you're going to blame Rockstar for anything, blame them for popularizing open world games. Cinematic gaming experiences predate GTAIII by YEARS.
>>
>>288427381
>casuals

You literally have not played GTAIV. You can take 90 degree angles at full speed in the PS2 GTA games. You can't do that in IV.

This is some shit tier trolling, son.
>>
File: 1425453344694.png (903 KB, 768x586) Image search: [Google]
1425453344694.png
903 KB, 768x586
So how about you fuckers stop posting about videogames on /v/ - Shitposting and undercoverd lewds and drop some hex maniac
>>
>>288420308
Meanwhile...
>>>/tv/54674232
>>
File: Objectively Best Games Ever.jpg (333 KB, 920x920) Image search: [Google]
Objectively Best Games Ever.jpg
333 KB, 920x920
>>288427395
>Are you really denying the effect games like FF7
In terms of a turn based RPG with random encounters, FF7 had a ton of different ways to customize your party and was very gameplay driven. Unless you're going to criticize literally all RPGs for this I don't see why you'd point out FF7 in particular.
>and MGS had on cinematic gaming?
MGS had goofy ass cutscenes, sort of like the DmC series. That's how cutscenes should be, if any at all, so the player can have a laugh and move on with the game. There are a few jokes here and there in GTA, but they're not funny, and most of their cutscenes are pretentious shit about how Niko doesn't like killing people and then he proceeds to murder 70 people in the next mission, and people act like it's not his fault and they act like it's really deep.
>Or the slew of PSX games that had FMV?
You're not even naming a particular game, and cutscenes are not inherently bad, just when they're the main focus of the game and are considered more important than the gameplay.
>How old are you?
Um, 24? You're welcome that I answered. I didn't have to. It's so funny how I criticize your shitty little Rockstar so you turn it around and try to make it about me. Can't handle a little bit of criticism of your beloved shitty developer. How old are you to suck Rockstar's cock so fucking hard - one of the most beloved developers among tweens? You won't answer pussy. You're probably younger than I am. Or you'll just lie.
>If you're going to blame Rockstar for anything, blame them for popularizing open world games. Cinematic gaming experiences predate GTAIII by YEARS.
Open world games are not inherently bad though. That's not even what's wrong with Rockstar's games to begin with you fucking idiot.

You named 2 fucking games. What a great argument. And by the way, GTA III, VC, and SA are all great games because they have fast paced, fun driving and shooting. Your beloved GTA IV is honestly one of the most overrated games I've ever played.
>>
>>288427559
Yeah you needed to be able to move fast in the "PS2" GTA games (as you call them, console casual detected) because otherwise the cops would come at you at lightning fast speeds. The cops move like turtles in GTA IV, and so they slowed down the player's driving abilities as well accordingly. Guess what moron? Requiring the player to react more quickly makes for a more challenging game, even if it allows them to move faster.

And another part of the reason they slowed it down was so they could fit all of Niko and Roman's dialogue while driving in, before you could make it to the destination. Literally sacrificing gameplay for cinematic bullshit.
>>
>>288428354
>You named 2 fucking games.
Funny, people were naming one fucking game (GTAIII) and somehow that was acceptable.
>>
>>288428663
We're criticizing one developer here. Sorry that one developer typically works on one project at a time.
>>
>>288428894
>We're criticizing one developer here.
Why is Square or Konami absolved of criticism...?
>>
>>288428963
It's so funny how you think this is a valid argument. Someone initially brought up Rockstar, so that's who we're talking about. If anything you're saying Rockstar can't be criticized and you're deflecting to other developers because you can't fucking stand to see them criticized.

Why don't you just fuck off if you have nothing valid to say? Go back to begging mommy to buy Bloodborne and a PS4 for you.
>>
File: 1383417333964.jpg (31 KB, 361x351) Image search: [Google]
1383417333964.jpg
31 KB, 361x351
how long until /vr/ starts accepting 6th gen games?

just make a sub-board for the 6th genners if you don't want deal with WWfags and Halofags.
>>
>>288422997
SNES games in general are easier than those on NES, same with PS2 and PSX although to a lesser extent.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.