[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think this will work out well for Valve?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 11
File: steam.jpg (117 KB, 1165x672) Image search: [Google]
steam.jpg
117 KB, 1165x672
Do you think this will work out well for Valve?
>>
>>286019660
I'd say no, but then it's never good to underestimate how stupid people are.
>>
It will cause them to crash
>>
>>286019660
I thought these came out a while ago and flopped.

I swear the first time I heard about Steam machines was 2 years ago.
>>
>>286020171
>Valve
>Crash
Steam fucking prints over a billion a year
>>
File: 1412035879016.gif (246 KB, 180x280) Image search: [Google]
1412035879016.gif
246 KB, 180x280
>>286019660
If the Ouya had an audience, the streaming device should do OK. The controller will do alright despite the incredibly shitty design, don't know about it technically though. Steambox will probably break even, VR is iffy but if it works without a bunch of bullshit I'll get one.
>>
>>286020251

Because the steam machines were revealed two years ago. They are just hitting the market this november.
>>
The controller will be the best ever made, hands down.

It's like Boyhood of controllers
>>
i dont understand how they can still refer to it as PC gaming when you buy a steambox. It's basically a digital only console at that point.
>>
>>286019660
Depends on the pricing.
If Steam machines are overpriced garbage, no.
If the VR is overpriced, no
>>
>>286020550
>If the Ouya had an audience
what the
>>
>>286019660

there is no market for the steamboxes, especially at those prices
>>
>>286020712

They're literally HTPCs, you can do anything with it like a regular PC, even those prebuilts.
>>
>>286019660
The Steam Machines sure as shit won't.

There's no standardisation, it's confusing as shit.
>>
File: 1425332387082.jpg (332 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1425332387082.jpg
332 KB, 1600x1200
>>286020709
you sure m8
>>
>>286019660
Probably not. At least not the steam machines.

I hope they aren't expecting to sell a lot of them.
>>
>>286019660
I think the controller will sell. I think playing mouse based puzzles like Spacechem and slow, casual games like Minecraft, Elder Scrolls, GTA or Sleeping Dogs will work well.

Still mad it has a stick instead of a d-pad though. The controller market really needs a good d-pad.
>>
>>286020770
It sold, nigga. I'm always hearing about people complaining when a console game "won't feel right' so maybe they'll get one of those and shut the fuck up.
>>
>>286020712
It's Debian with some Valve clutter
How is that not a PC?
>>
>>286019660
steam machines?

no.

Steam link?

maybe.
>>
Is anyone else having problems trying to buy shit on steam right now? Shit's annoying
>>
I'm gonna make a prediction right now.
All this VR shit will be a huge flop. All of it, the general public doesn't want to strap shit to their faces to play games.
>>
>>286020770
I know a guy who has one and likes it very much. He's more of a "retro gamer" anyway.
>>
>>286020709
....Nah
>>
>>286020171
>cause valve to crash

considering all the hardware and manufacturing is being handled by third-party manufacturers. No.

Valve is not going to lose by this move. All they can do is gain due to more people moving to their platform. They've already realized they've reached their entire market on the PC thus the only logical move is to expand and try to get the console retards in as well. By pushing the hardware cost and everything else onto third party manufacturers, they have close to 0% risk in this project but a hell of a lot to gain.
>>
File: DOG_controller_MED[1].jpg (343 KB, 2000x1434) Image search: [Google]
DOG_controller_MED[1].jpg
343 KB, 2000x1434
I kinda wish they kept this design. I know it would mean a lot of stupid people would try to use the directional buttons as a D-pad instead of the circle pad, but it would have been better for more PC games that require a lot of buttons.
>>
>November
>11th month
>HL2 released 11 years ago
>new VR tech needing to be showcased
>Source 2

It's confirmed
>>
>will launch at same price as consoles
>$50 more for lowest tier and won't be able to run shit
>VR that will require a beat to run, therefore eliminates 80% of steam users
>ripoff of vita tv
At least the controller is apparently good. So they'll sell controllers.
>>
>>286019660
No I think this is all great except the controller looks kind of stupid. This could possibly spin gaming to PC favor for the next decade.
>>
Controller and Link, sure why not.

Those fucking Steam machines are dumb as shit, however. Fitting that the Alienware one is showcased, considering only retarded Alienware faggots will buy those overpriced rigs.
>>
>>286019660
I used to be confused as to just WHO Valve was marketing towards until I overheard a few guys talking about it. They were excited that they could finally get a gaming PC without having to build it themselves.
Most people on here don't realize that there is a HUGE market of people who want to get into PC gaming but are a little but too stupid to understand what they're doing and a little bit too rich for their own good.
I think that the steam machines will net Valve some big bucks IF they can actually get more games supported for Steam OS. Right now it looks promising, but they need to iron out some kind of deal with other big-budget non-steam publishers.
For example, if Valve could make a low-end system that was fairly cheap (~$500), and if they could get League of Legends running on it, they make a fortune selling a machine marketed specifically for MOBAs. That audience is massive and are mostly about to start getting part-time jobs, which means that they are going to want something easy to understand that can play their game for a few years.
>>
>>286019660
No.
These are basically prebuilds with their own system, which actually isn't their own because it's debian based.
You're not going to tell me that $2000+ builds are for consolefags that might want to try out PC gaming, these are for enthusiasts who have more money than brain(to build their own).
At the same time - one of those "gaming" machines has i7+integrated card. It's not a gaming machine by any chance.

Instead of pushing few basic specifications(like CPU+GPU combo) in 2-3 price ranges they've gave pre-build manufacturers freedom to do anything they want. There are too many options for casuals(some of which are misleading see above) who came from consoles and overpriced as hell for passionate so whp's the target audience.
>>
I can see their fuck up already.

>Vive releases
>It's 300 dollars
>>
>>286021209
Well you'll be wrong. The general public does.
>>
Controller could be interesting if it's cheap.

I've been looking for a replacement for my old Logitech and DS3 controller. But if it's around the Xbone/PS4 controller price not sure if they would be worth it.
>>
File: 1425732614173.gif (154 KB, 223x200) Image search: [Google]
1425732614173.gif
154 KB, 223x200
Personally greatly interested in the controller and the Link thingy. VR seems to hold potential too; a little actual competition against the OR is a good thing, you know.

Literally zero reason to buy a Steam machine though. I honestly don't see those doing even remotely well.
>>
>>286021814
>if it's cheap
It's $50 MSRP. I'll grab one in a month or two after it's dropped to $40.
>>
>>286019660
Steam Machines:
"...plus the ability to locally install and play your choice of over 1000 native SteamOS titles."
So they actually managed to fuse the worst of both worlds - the proprietary, closed source nature of Windows and the nogaems of GNU/Linux derivatives.
Unless Gaben manages to convince the bigger companies to codevelop for the new platform - and by that, I mean doing more than slapping a Wine layer around it and praying - this is going to tank.
>>
>>286021720
It sounds a lot like they're selling hats/skins to manufacturers now
>>
I think the controller looks really nice actually
Although I'm really curious to know how it works in non-steam games, since all we've seen works through steam configurations
>>
>>286019660
The Steam Link is a fantastic idea. I'll probably buy one anyway just because it's a dedicated streaming device, even though I'm already buying the new Nvidia Shield for that
>>
>>286021587
> there is a HUGE market of people who want to get into PC gaming
>are a little too stupid
Makes sense, actually.
>>
>>286021416
HALFLIFE 11!
>>
I might get the Steam Link thing. Would be dope to play games with friends and shit.
I know you dont need it but its ez
>>
>>286021805
No, the general public hated 3D movies and they mildly tolerated the kinect for a year and absolutely hated it after a year. It's a gimmick guy, what little hype VR has will be wear off in a few months.
>>
>>286021901
So basically the price of a console controller, that's unfortunate. I'll have to wait until some idiot friend gets one to demo it, because I already have controllers, that thing would have to be the fucking hypest ever to waste more money on a PC exclusive controller.
>>
>>286022032
The general public hates anything that costs more money, which is not entirely unreasonable.

VR will fail unless the headsets are cheap enough that the average person could buy them, and that's not going to happen.
>>
>>286019660
Seriously the Steam machine is the most ridiculous thing I have seen in a while

Grossly overpriced hardware in an ugly form-factor, gimped OS and games, none of the optimization of a console, the ones that are more powerful run almost 2x the price. I'm guessing it's just because the manufactures of said Steam machines expect them to fail. I saw a guy earlier who said he would shill on /v/ every day for it too, I'm concerned of valvedrones overhyping it

Link is honestly nothing special, but it's good for the price point if it works well. I mean it's essentially a Vita TV

I don't even fucking know what to think about the controller, I just cannot even fathom how that thing is comfortable, but who knows
>>
What is it with /v/ and shitting on the controller now? I remember back when the Steam controller was first announced, /v/ was doing nothing but praising it.
>>
>>286021336
Oh so it's similar to how android works where they only supply software and partnerships with OEMs handle the actual hardware devices?
>>
File: mfw.png (23 KB, 122x229) Image search: [Google]
mfw.png
23 KB, 122x229
Post your faces when all this flops
>>
>>286022169
>Consoles
>Optimization
>>
How mad would /v/ be that the morpheus outsells the competition 2:1 like ps4 is right now?
>>
Valve needs to ditch this fucking "steamOS" bullshit unless they're going to turn it into a fully functional linux desktop environment.

If they did that, it could actually be useful and would directly compete with windows due to the massive install base that steam currently and the urge to change from windows to something else.

However, this steamOS bullshit being home theater pc shit is just a retarded move. Their main goal is to push away from the windows platform and all that jazz, yet they don't want to implement a ton of features that people need (being able to write/code/all the other functionality that a pc is supposed to have for productivity related reasons) and would have gotten if it was a proper linux distro.

This was an incredibly poor move by valve. They should've made steamOS be a lightweight version for home theater pcs based on an entire steam distro for linux.

Anyways, steam machines wont be popular but perhaps the steam link will. The controller is retarded. Using a touchpad for sensitive control in a game where mouse+keyboard is either incredibly frustrating because of the amount of times you need to raise your finger and reswipe, or it's incredibly inaccurate and frustrating to use which would just cause a lot of players to sit in front of the pc instead.

The only thing this controller might be good for is games like the ones telltale release which require minimal user input.
>>
File: 4276219914_334889444d.jpg (163 KB, 419x500) Image search: [Google]
4276219914_334889444d.jpg
163 KB, 419x500
>>286022206
It will only flop if Valve forgets that they even own the idea.
So it's going to flop hard.
>>
>>286022382
I promise all VR stuff will be failures.
>>
>>286021373
That design always reminds me of JarJar Binks with a Darth Vader helmet.
>>
>>286022032
The general public would be more amenable to 3D movies if you didn't have to fucking fork over like $20 to see that shit. The tech itself isn't what turns people off, it's the egregious price gouging when the cheaper option is still fine. It would be like if you had to pay more for 60 FPS as opposed to 30, people would "hate" 60 too.
>>
>>286022192
yes.
>>
>>286022343
Everyone knows this, cammarck explained it once.
>>
>>286022425

>Their main goal is to push away from the windows platform and all that jazz, yet they don't want to implement a ton of features that people need (being able to write/code/all the other functionality that a pc is supposed to have for productivity related reasons) and would have gotten if it was a proper linux distro.

No, it was pretty clear their objective was to bring PC gaymen to the living room.
>>
File: 1412532658916.png (53 KB, 617x593) Image search: [Google]
1412532658916.png
53 KB, 617x593
>>286022562
Carmack was talking about DirectX being shit.
>>
File: man.jpg (63 KB, 600x868) Image search: [Google]
man.jpg
63 KB, 600x868
>>286022206
>>
>>286022176
I don't see much shitting on it in this thread.

But to be fair, even when the steam machines were announced, retards were hyping it up. Valvedrones are a silly bunch. Reality rarely meets up with their expectations.
>>
>>286022524
That doesn't explain why other 3D stuff was a complete failure.
3D Phones- Failures
3D TVs- gigantic failures
3DS in the first year when everything about the 3DS revolve around 3D- Failure
>>
>>286022206

No face here, Valve shits out so much money they can only gain.
>>
>>286021996
can the new nvidia shield also stream movies and shit like a netflix?

If so, I'm replacing my chromecast with that.

I hope the steam link will be able to receive video like the chromecast is. I love just sending everything to my TV and not having to be connected to it anymore.
>>
File: 54326236.jpg (100 KB, 500x715) Image search: [Google]
54326236.jpg
100 KB, 500x715
>>286022206
>>
>900$ for a prebuilt that can't even outperform a PS4/Xbone

Wow...
>>
Do the touchpads still feature clicking edges? Or did they get rid of that?
>>
>>286022909
suck my dick
>>
>>286022524
Actually, it's because all the 3D movies I've seen look like utter shit that I hate that 3D gimmick in theaters

I don't mide wearing a glass or paying a little extra if I thought it was worth it, but it fucking isn't
>>
>valve approved prebuilts
>same thing you can find in any staples, pc richard, whatever
Yeah, this changes everything. PC gaming will certainly take over now.
>>
I'm glad that I'll be able to buy steam hardware off the steam store, I have a ton of steam money from selling shit and I can't do jack with it. Already bought all the games I wanted.
>>
>>286022776
Yeah, the Nvidia Shield runs Android TV, so it can do Netflix, YouTube, and I believe it can do Google Cast as well. It's futureproofed for 4K sets as well.

I'm actually pretty excited for it, stuff like this makes me rock hard technology wise
>>
>>286022672
> Steam controller was first announced, /v/ was doing nothing but praising it.

Think about it. Do you think valve want people to be hyped about it, or do you think they want to hear people be negative about it?

They were obviously chilling to generate hype. It will happen from 1 month to 1 week before release as well. Just wait and see.
>>
>>286022701
All of those are pricey as shit, with the exception of the 3DS, granted. That idea was just fucking stupid for myriad reasons, the launch handheld being apparently made for ants not helping matters.

Although speaking personally, I just don't see a point in moving to 3D, when what I've got sates me just fine, so perhaps you have something. I don't loathe the new tech, I just don't feel it necessary until it both competes in price, and also can be shut off at will.
>>
>>286022958
/m4m/
>>
>>286020810
care to qualify that statement?
>>
>>286022602
They'll do that with the steam link. No need for steam machines.

My point still stands. They need a linux distro to push away from windows.
>>
>>286022002
Why do you think consoles still sell when they're nothing but weak PCs?
>>
>>286019660
>controller
no, a few hardcore steambronies will get it to be LE EPIC PC GAMUURRRR (which is the most ironic shit ever, but whatever)
>link thing
fuck no, absolute bust. probably sell less than 1000 worldwide.
>steam machines
again, steamplebs will buy it because MUH GABEN but actual PC users wont because it's just not as good as a normal build it yourself case
>VR shit
noooooo, will flop HARD. gonna be extremely niche as long as it doesn't become way smaller and cheaper.
>>
Absolutely not.

They appeal to neither PC gamers nor Console gamers. They're dumping a lots of resources into a non-existant demographic.
>>
>>286022843
This.

Valve is trying to market their shitty prebuilts to the console audience as an affordable alternative to building their own since many people see that as complicated, but they completely fucked the "affordable" idea.

A lot of people only use consoles due to their affordability. Who the fuck does Valve think they're going to sell their $1,000 machine to?
>>
Steam controller and the Steam Link will definitely be bought. The VR will be bought, but in lesser numbers and the Steam Machines won't really be popular. The Link is a nifty little machine that lets you stream onto your larger television, so I guess the average consumer will see some appeal and they would also want to try out the controller with the Link. So its likely going to be bought together, but as for the VR, that costs more money and so far there are only a few games that support it and are interesting. Steam Machines are expensive and no one wants to spend that much money.
>>
>>286023285
Because OnLive did so well.
>>
>>286023021
alright, sweet.

Seems like I'm getting a nvidia shield then.
>>
>>286019660
Only thing that is negligible is the Steam Machine, but people have been buying prebuilts for years, why stop now?

The rest are guarenteed to be a hit. Anyone who disagrees just doesn't understand the market and who Valve are targetting. Just because it doesn't appeal to you doesn't mean it doesn't appeal to everyone else. The controller is going to play great and Steam Link will be better than hooking my laptop to the TV. VR I'll wait till after Oculus releases before considering.
>>
>>286023320
They get the same worthwhile games pc gets nearly identical to expensive pc quality and games not on PC. and pc users get shafted at every turn, even cdred rather cater to consoles.
>>
Controller & Mucheenz will sell.

Link is dead in the water.

VR might pull through, who knows, it's nascent bulltech.
>>
Steam Link'll sell well. Controller will probably do okay too.

Steam Machines won't sell as well, but that's on 3rd party manufacturers so who cares.

SteamVR? Who fucking knows.

Question though, is the only controller compatible with the Steam Link the Steam controller?
>>
>>286023608
+ exclusives that are usually huge names that everyone wants to play.
>>
>>286023449
OnLive did not stream from your PC to your dedicated machine. It streamed from an external server not located in your local network which generated a ton of input lag.

You should tryout steam inhome streaming from your gaming PC to one of your other devices and reevaluate your opinion. It's pretty much like playing on the device itself (unless you're playing a shooter game like CS. You will notice the 5ms delay on that. But games like the batman arkham games or similar will be just like playing on the host machine).
>>
>>286023350
>no, a few hardcore steambronies will get it to be LE EPIC PC GAMUURRRR (which is the most ironic shit ever, but whatever)
Will the controller only work for steam games though?
I'd buy one if you could use it in browsers and navigate Windows with it.
>>
File: 1422040310111.jpg (148 KB, 953x953) Image search: [Google]
1422040310111.jpg
148 KB, 953x953
Why does everyone here think the Link will fail? It doesn't just stream games, it can stream your whole desktop. For people not owning a HTPC this will be a great alternative since you can use it for streaming movies too. And for just $15 more you get something that's better than a $35 Google Chromecast
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.