[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Actually Mature Video Games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 11
File: James[1].jpg (826 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
James[1].jpg
826 KB, 2000x1333
What are some games that are actually mature? I don't mean games that are rated M or are unsuitable for children, I mean games that handle themes that have depth in them with sincerity.
>>
Planescape Torment
>>
The Last of Us.
>>
Killer 7 is about a man who goes insane in incremental steps, while avoiding the question of who and what a shamble his life is.

That's pretty mature.
>>
hatred
postal
manhunt
>>
Pathologic and The Void
>>
>>286001513
The planetcape torrent is alright.
>>
Spec Ops:The Line

I have no mouth and i must scream
>>
RAGE
>>
File: alice madness returns.jpg (171 KB, 900x636) Image search: [Google]
alice madness returns.jpg
171 KB, 900x636
>tfw can't run from grim reality forever

:(
>>
>>286001667
This
>>286001513
I can't really think of too many besides >>286001667.

M-rated is now just a label for whenever somebody has lolgore or lolhesaidabadword
>>
That one game, The Void. I think it was made in Russia.
>>
>>286001513
Max Payne series
>>
File: Sanitarium_Coverart.jpg (19 KB, 256x310) Image search: [Google]
Sanitarium_Coverart.jpg
19 KB, 256x310
Amazing game
>>
Kirby
Mario
Zelda
Kid Icarus
Yoshi
Smash Bros
Metroid
Captain Toad
Donkey Kong
Pikmin
WiiFit
ChibiRobo
Pokemon
>>
L.A. Noire, although those themes just might be ignored or lost on a younger player
>>
>>286003638
Yup, Ice-Pick Lodge is Russian and their work is fantastic
>>
Last of Us
>>
>>286001513
>that handle themes that have depth in them with sincerity.
Why does this make them mature?

In my opinion a mature game is one that is designed to meet professional standards and turn a profit. Those are actual real-world adult concerns. Once you graduate college (or high school) you'll learn this.
>>
>>286004214
>This is what nintenyearolds actually believe
>>
>>286002837
This
>>
File: PBF106-Billy_the_Bunny.jpg (112 KB, 900x300) Image search: [Google]
PBF106-Billy_the_Bunny.jpg
112 KB, 900x300
>>286004694
>Why does this make them mature?
Because pic related
>>
>>286001846
Seconded
>>
File: 1425191031031.jpg (22 KB, 179x299) Image search: [Google]
1425191031031.jpg
22 KB, 179x299
>>286001513
>I mean games that handle themes that have depth in them with sincerity
There's no money in that.
>>
The Darkness
>>
Silent Hill games
Fatal Frame 3
Planescape Torment
Killer7, which is the best example thus far of storytelling via gameplay
The Void and Pathologic
>>
What are some mature games that aren't cynical or dark, and that are lighthearted instead?
>>
>>286009324
Ratchet & Clank series
>>
>>286001667
Killer7 is about a black guy with multiple identities and old men and weird shit
>>
What's the most mature platformer?
What's the most mature JRPG?
>>
>>286004694
>hello, my name is anon, and I am a corporate drone with severe autism
>>
>>286009324
Professor Layton, at least if we go on the "touches on mature themes" definition.
>>
>>286009324
Psychonauts handles mental illness, failure and troubled childhoods pretty well, but you always have to go out of your way to get the full story.
>>
>>286001513
R-Type games
>>
>>286008093
Well it depends on the scope of budget, if you sink $80 Million into a game, you gotta just appeal to the lowest common denominator or lose money, but smaller budget games can get away with it, sure they could just make the current trend and rake money but that is up to the developer/publisher
>>
>>286009324
The Void.
>>
Friendly reminder that a capitalist market intrinsically starves and hinders creativity since it demands that a mainstream work be compromised if it should wish to see the light of day, meaning that mainstream titles must often sacrifice depth for breadth
>>
>>286009959
>What's the most mature JRPG
The original Shin Megami Tensei.
>>
>A mature videogame for a mature person like me
>>
Catherine
>>
I think the The Last of Us ending is one of the better uses of grey morality in a videogame and it tends to generate pretty good discussion on weather or not Joel was right.
>>
>>286010062
>>286010080
I'm a little curious as to whether you people think "mature themes" means "dark and threatening themes."

Romance is a mature theme. Finding a job is a mature theme. Raising a child is a mature theme. None of those things are "easy" but they don't have to be dark and threatening either.
>>
>>286010434
I didn't really need the reminder, but thank you for being friendly about it.
>>
>>286001513

TOo bad the VA is a man child

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7UeDL86vM0
>>
>>286010794
Except that's wrong.
>>
Gone Home
>>
>>286010924
Explain why it's wrong instead of just saying it's wrong then.
>>
>>286003821

That game was fucking horrible
>>
File: The-Fall-Featured-600x300.jpg (20 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
The-Fall-Featured-600x300.jpg
20 KB, 600x300
The Fall is pretty good science fiction stuff about autonomy and morality.
>>
>>286010864

>goofing around with friends is being a man child

You are a fucking retard.
>>
>>286011379
Capitalism encourages creativity by providing an incentive (profit) to produce creative works. "Sacrificing depth for breadth" is just a form of compromise that arises from the imperfections of the system. Unfortunately it's immature to look at this and say "capitalism stifles creativity because the world isn't perfect and I can't make literally whatever I want and have it sell," rather than accepting the downsides with the upsides and trying to improve a system that already works reasonably well.

And honestly, demanding that other people accept your "creativity" rather than acknowledging that others have different interests and working to express yourself in a way that appeals to them (or simply ignoring them and accepting a lack of profit, which capitalism doesn't prohibit) is childish.
>>
>>286004698
>>286004214
>That samefagging and/or falseflag bait.

If you think the average nintendo fan considers mario mature, you're retarded.
>>
>>286012475
Mario is mature
>>
itt: phillistines who believe mature equals sex and violence and not thematic content.
>>
>>286012969
Point out a few, most of the post are alright so far.
>>
>>286010790
While true, I'd have a hard time calling Harvest Moon or Rune Factory a mature game just because it involves work and a family. Animal Crossing is probably not mature even though it involves chores. Recettear wouldn't be mature just because you manage a shop and sell items. Trying to call these things mature simply because they deal with subjects that adults deal with falls into the same trap as calling Call of Duty mature because it deals with a subject that is typically restricted to adults - war.

And as Call of Duty has shown us, just because it is a topic which only adults deal with in the real world, does not mean that it can't be turned into a silly and immature game.

The reason I named Professor Layton was because it does touch on and handle some very mature themes at times. I'm talking specifically about Claire from Unwound Future or course, although even something simpler such as Flora and her missing family touches on it. Sure, it isn't something that the games even focus on very much, but it's enough to make them memorable and more significant than even full games which try to focus themselves on more generic, stereotypical situations.
>>
File: 1351133254710.png (373 KB, 498x1234) Image search: [Google]
1351133254710.png
373 KB, 498x1234
Silent Hill 1-3
Pathologic
Planescape Torment
Deus Ex
The Witcher
Max Payne 1 and 2
Abe's Oddysee
Legacy of Kain
Sengoku Rance
>>
>>286013807
I think you're on the right track, with the 'mature themes don't make for mature games'.

I even think that the 'maturity' of a game has NOTHING to do with it's themes. It's the way the themes are handled that is mature. The game needs to display a (for lack of a better word in my vocabulary) 'wholesome' understanding of, and perspective on, its themes.
>>
Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines

Despite some of the sillier shit the game will occasionally throw at you make no mistake, this is one of a small handful of games I can think of that throws you into some more genuinely adult shit in a way that I think it'd drive off any younger kids trying to play it. Yeah there's the sexy side of the game, but that's literally just jeanette and velvet velour who are respectively, two small areas in a pretty big game.
There are some pretty serious moral decisions and implications of the things going on and fucked up stuff that extends beyond gore, picture related and when Heather Poe trying to give you the check for her college tuition really drive home that there are consequences behind your actions that you haven't even thought about that can come back to rear their ugly head.

There's also the pretty obvious stuff like whether or not you should try to cling to your humanity and upholding the masquerade being not just roleplaying elements but also tied into the gameplay, but the above stuff is probably the only time I've had a feeling like that in an RPG.
>>
File: aicolonel.png (54 KB, 135x196) Image search: [Google]
aicolonel.png
54 KB, 135x196
I think Kojima makes an honest effort, but he just hasn't got the chops to make a truly mature game.
>>
>>286015206
I think he succeeds. Whilst the narratives he creates are quite outlandish and flashy, he quite extensively explores plenty of questions and ideas within these silly little stories. Too many people get too hung up on the lore of the series, which is one reason MGS4 is what it is.
>>
File: 1422171633345.jpg (44 KB, 443x376) Image search: [Google]
1422171633345.jpg
44 KB, 443x376
I thought Persona 3 did well at supporting its core themes and using gameplay mechanics to justify its story being told in a game instead of any other format.
>>
>>286004694
stfu you pretentious dick
>>
Mother and Mother 3
>>
>>286016009
>he quite extensively explores plenty of questions and ideas
Yes, that's the 'honest effort' part I was talking about. It's leagues above 90% of games out there, but I just don't put it on the same level as Silent Hill 2, or Pathologic.
>>
>>286017913
Fair enough, I get you.
>>
>>286001513
LISA
>>
>>286015143
After deciding to have werewolves dancing at then end, I saw my real ending and watched my character give the finger like an edge lord to one of the crew members and classified this game as silly. I liked the game but never went all up in arms about it. Even that one mansion that everyone thinks is spooky was kind of a bored and pure of cliches.
>>
Darkness Within: In Pursuit of Loath Nolder

You're a detective who investigates the murder of an aloof airline company co-owner Clark Field, the prime suspect is an eccentric private investigator, the titular Loath Nolder, who vanished from the hospital. The game has a palpable atmosphere, apt voice-acting, novel story (albeit most portion is deduced from text,) beautiful scenery, and outstanding use of lighting.

>>286009324
Snatcher, Warcraft III.
>>
>>286012161
ep 2 when?
>>
Nier.
>>
Alan Wake
>>
Catherine is about the only game I've seen that deals with relationships in anything resembling a meaningful way.

LISA forces you to make some seriously difficult choices, quite unlike anything else I've ever played. It has some shitty teenage boy humour, but I like to think that it was included as part of the world building.

>>286012397

That's theoretical capitalism.

Capitalism used to promote creativity, that kind of stopped when money became the best way to make more money.

Please list some Fortune 500 companies that are doing anything 'creative'.
>>
>>286023523
>>286010728
>Catherine

Good choice, I was really surprised at how tasteful that game really is - only played it for the first time a few weeks ago.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.