[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Dark Souls 2 is my favourite Souls game Am I a bad person?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 10
File: darksouls2.jpg (86 KB, 500x283) Image search: [Google]
darksouls2.jpg
86 KB, 500x283
>Dark Souls 2 is my favourite Souls game

Am I a bad person?
Lore, inconsistent/illogical areas aside, I really love this game. I prefer the combat mechanics in this over the first game.

There are also less bullshit areas I dread when I reach them.
In Dark Souls 1, I've always stopped when I have to go through New Londo Ruins and the catacombs, I hate these areas so much. In Dark Souls 2, the only area I really hate is the misty forest with the invisible people stabbing you.

There are a bit too much humanoid bosses, and that's one of the game's weak sides but still, Fume Knight, Lost Sinner and Old Dragonslayer are really fun fights.

Don't get me wrong, I love all Souls games but if I have to pick a favourite I have to pick DS2 because it gives me the most consistent good experience, while Dark Souls 1 has a better peak, but the worst areas of DS1 are 10 times worse than any area in DS2 imo.

DS1 is a 8.5/10 game for me while DS2 is a 9/10.
>>
>>Am I a bad person?
Nah, just an idiot with poor taste.
>>
nah

the combat is excellent and the multiplayer is great. It just lacks in level design
>>
>>285668031
Everyone's got their own tastes.

Although I am struggling with every fiber of my being to understand how anyone could possibly like Lost Sinner.
>>
No, you just have poor taste.
>>
>>285668823

Something about not being able to lock-on properly which really intrigues me.
>>
>Am I a bad person?
I thought it was the lesser of the three, but w/e

It's not far enough off that it's unfathomable why someone would hold it up as their favorite.
>>
Why didn't you post this in the DS2 thread that's already up?
>>
DS2 is actually a great game. The level design could have been a lot better though but there were still some good areas.
>>
>>285670940

I hate the placement of the mages in Shrine of Amana, but in terms of how comfy areas are, that area takes the cake.
>>
i think it did a few things the best out of the 3 but i donno its still the weakest, it feels like a bunch of shit just thrown together and linkied with magic hallways that are actually 50x bigger then they appear and from what i can tell the lkore is just the same thing but with diffrerent names
>>
It's a great game. Who gives a shit about lore in a Souls game, and the idiots complaining about level design know fuck all about game design.
>>
File: 1416437604421.jpg (49 KB, 719x603) Image search: [Google]
1416437604421.jpg
49 KB, 719x603
>>285673686
>Who gives a shit about lore in a Souls game

These are people who frequent this board
>>
I used to think like you, then I went back to DaS1 thanks to the GFWL removal and realized it was still better, I just forgot about the good parts.

I still play it. Haven't come back to 2 even to play the final boss.
>>
File: 1425447105320.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1425447105320.gif
2 MB, 320x240
I think Dark Souls was a generally better-designed and more fulfilling experience, but Dark Souls 2 had some mechanical improvements scattered around that really were valuable. My ideal Dark Souls would be somewhere between the two, taking the world/boss design from the first and drawing from some of the mechanical improvements of the second.

There are some things that neither game got right, though. Stat softcaps are terrible and make stats maxing out at 99 pointless unless you're using one of the two or three weapons that even have a stat requirement near the upper limit of a stat. I'd like to see a much more linear progression of stat scaling from 1 to 99, instead of it being great until 20 or 30 and then suddenly becoming shit. Durability is also something that really needs to go back to the drawing board, as it wasn't a good thing to have in either game. Soul Memory was a better system than matchmaking based on SL and definitely knocked out a lot of twink invaders, but it still wasn't perfect and added an unfortunate permanent matchmaking penalty for losing souls to death. The play-with-friends ring in DS2 was also a good improvement, but it was clunky. I know it's not Souls-y, but that should be a UI thing, not an item. DS2 also had absolutely fucked lag and hitboxes when playing with or against other people, and there were some regular enemies that behaved in weird ways too. The dogs in the Gutter had some really weird relationships with their attack animations and hits, for example.

OP: While I disagree with you in saying that DS2 is better, I totally understand how you came to that conclusion and can't really hold it against you.
>>
>>285668473
Not only that but they introduced shit like adaptability that ruined builds and soul memory that ruined multiplayer.
Now that multi in das1 is fixed there is literally no reason to play das2.
>>
File: 1425446745288.jpg (60 KB, 550x366) Image search: [Google]
1425446745288.jpg
60 KB, 550x366
How's hacking in DS1 right now? I sorta want to get back to it, but I have bad memories of being invader by people using CE'd curse weapons and everyone generally using CE to cheat in items. I don't want to get back to it if that's the online experience I'm going to deal with.
>>
>>285674916
>they introduced shit like adaptability that ruined builds and soul memory that ruined multiplayer

As much as I dont like SM it really didnt ruin multiplayer considering brackets are still fairly large

Adaptability is definitely annoying as far as making nice tight builds
>>
>>285668031
I'm impressed, I can't keep playing DaS after Undead Burg/Parish.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (35 KB, 291x349) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
35 KB, 291x349
>>285674916
Adaptability is fine. Two in every three invaders being naked to go with a nothing-but-str/dex build was terrible. There's nothing wrong with having a required stat to dodge properly.
>>
>>285675143
I meet one hacker per 50 people that invades me

There's an extension called PVP Watchdog that detects hackers and lets you kick them or ban them from connecting to you, which is a godsend
>>
>>285675405
Honestly I'd rather have adjustable i-frames than default iframes that take no skill
>>
>>285675418
Does it do anything with people that just CE in +15 everything?
>>
>>285675739
No, but pvping means you have infinite souls and titanite anyway, so who cares. It does detect fake stats.
>>
>>285668031

You have shit taste in video games.

/thread
>>
It'd be treated much better if it had the Dark Souls world design. That was probably the only thing I really cared about that never made it in DaS2.

I also didn't like the fact that lifegems could be acquired infinitely so early, but lifegems aren't really useful in many combat situations.

>>285668823

If the dark was implemented properly it could probably be really tense losing track of her and trying to find out where she's coming from.
>>
They definitely took steps in the right direction with das2 but they definitely made a bunch of poor choices

Excited to see if they can make another knockout dark souls game
>>
File: 1425269445721 (1).jpg (1 MB, 1287x1500) Image search: [Google]
1425269445721 (1).jpg
1 MB, 1287x1500
>>285668823
What really surprised me about Lost Sinner was how many people didn't know that you could light the room by unlocking the doors of and lighting the tar inside the locked doors outside of the boss room, thus allowing you to lock on properly.
>>
I really don't get how DS2's combat is better, the combat/controls felt like shit to me day 1.
>>
>>285674769
you make a lot of good points and its something I've actually discussed a bit with my friends. we never really talked about much beyond agreeing the world was better in DaS1 and the mechanics were (mostly) better in 2.

As far as durability is concerned, I think they had a good idea in DaS2 but it was executed poorly and the fact that it was based on frames, which fucked things up majorly on the pc since it was 60fps as opposed to consoles, and that the durability didn't get decreased in a logical way made for some really shitty issues with weapons that had low durability.

and while reading your bit about soul memory it made me aware of the soul disadvantage from dying. something I had never thought about before this. you know, why haven't they done something like giving people pvp rankings? some kind of system like in Halo 3 or something where it ought to take into account how upgraded your armor/weapons are as well as your win/loss/disconnect ratio? it might temporarily allow twinks to do their thing, but keeping in the right area to fuck over new characters would be much more difficult (I would hope).

And oh god is lag a horrendous problem in DaS2. I'm not sure how that one got fucked up so badly.

but this is just me spewing shit i suppose.
>>
>das2 and what it did wrong
-can't level up, upgrade your weapon, etc at every bonfire, need to come back to fucking majula EVERY TIME
-warping works since beginning of the game making it less of a adventure
-souls memory
-extremly easy and trashy bossfights that gives you too many souls, after hour of playing das2 you have level 40 making you overleveled for other weak and trashy bosses
-bosses from das1 but made shittier, what the hell did they do to ornstein, gargoyle fight, now with more gargoyles was pathetic
-no restrictions to summoning, you can farm souls that way extremely easy ruining the game experience
-shitty, unmemorable level design, no solid, interconnected maze like design from das1
-gameplay is too floaty, especially with high adaptability (unresponsive without it), it's less tactical and more reflex based than das
-ruined upgrade mechanics, it's easy to create full retard overpowered weapons, you only need 1 ember, there are only 2 blacksmiths
-it's too bright even in locations that supposed to be pitch black like in gutters
-surprisingly it has worse graphics than das1, look at fucking lightning spear in das1 and compare it to that yellow shit in das2, das2 has simply worse shaders
etc. etc. etc. i spend 200 hours on both games, das2 was my first souls game, i am playing on pc
>>
>>285676101

i never knew you can miss that option, up until two weeks ago from some post on /v/
>>
>>285668031
I dont care what reason you give, its your preference, not mine. I still respect that preference.

That doesnt mean this thread will generate any meaningful discussion because it will devolve into shitposting if it hasnt already.

Good day anon.
>>
>>285676308
oh and before I forget:

the fact that poise was completely fucked up in DaS2 was bothersome. it kinda ruins the idea of using slow weapons, at least in pvp. I was honestly pretty upset by that.

It didn't need to be as retarded as it was in DaS1 but they didn't have to nerf it so hard into the ground in DaS2. I didn't use poise in DaS1 because I wanted my good rolls, but now I don't use it in DaS2 because its completely useless.
>>
>>285670940
I think honestly if they had just made the world less "MAIN AREA" and then "MOSTLY LINEAR HALLWAYS" out from it and gave the areas a bit more connectivity, it would have been much better. part of the fun in DaS1 I think was opening a new passageway and walking through it to realize it connected to an area i had been before. that and how well those shortcuts could be used if you knew your way around the game.
>>
File: 1401827273316.jpg (102 KB, 850x291) Image search: [Google]
1401827273316.jpg
102 KB, 850x291
>>285676327

>/v/ never went through with NG+, where Das2 really outshines Das.
>>
>>285668031
Nah I totally agree that DSII is better than DS1.
Some of my reasoning is the same too.
You have good taste and don't let butthurt nerdbombers tell you otherwise.
>>
>>285676308
>and while reading your bit about soul memory it made me aware of the soul disadvantage from dying. something I had never thought about before this. you know, why haven't they done something like giving people pvp rankings? some kind of system like in Halo 3 or something where it ought to take into account how upgraded your armor/weapons are as well as your win/loss/disconnect ratio?

I think that they should go in that general direction, applying a certain "value" to a character based more on the soul worth of their items combined with their level rather than just their souls or their level. I don't think it should be based on win or loss ratios, though, as I feel that would be a big hit to repeat invaders that are deliberately going after players normally making their way through a level. I do that myself, because I'm more interesting in playing around with the person I'm invading and having some fun with the environment/their lack of familiarity with it as opposed to just dueling someone on a bridge. There can always be an arena like DS2's for dedicated ranked stuff.
>>
>>285677043
this
>>
File: 1424940231806.jpg (11 KB, 253x260) Image search: [Google]
1424940231806.jpg
11 KB, 253x260
>>285677043
>mfw surprise spider in NG+
>>
File: spider.jpg (96 KB, 1533x840) Image search: [Google]
spider.jpg
96 KB, 1533x840
Demon's Souls is better than both of them. DaS2 is fucking garbage compared to DaS1 and DeS anyway. It's pretty fucking sad when the DLC is better than the base game.
>>
File: 1424684092640.jpg (91 KB, 667x443) Image search: [Google]
1424684092640.jpg
91 KB, 667x443
>>285677539
>It's pretty fucking sad when the DLC is better than the base game.

Why is that sad? Doesn't it make sense that the part developed with the benefit of hindsight in regards to the entire base game would be better?
>>
>>285677440

>dropping down to tomb of saints
>ready yourself to one shot some exploding shitheads
>SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKER
>>
>>285668031
You know, DeS and DaS just seem more enjoyable to me, yet I beat DaS2 eight times.

Why don't I replay DeS? I don't know.
>>
>>285677440
are you the guy with the fake GG account on twitter?
>>
>>285677772
No. Why would I be?
>>
>>285677826
I'm looking at the picture data you posted and it matches with a fake GG troll account.
>>
>>285677927
I saved it from here, which would mean the GG guy either took the image from here was well or posted it himself.
>>
>>285678012
The guy isn't a GG guy. He is someone pretending to be one.
>>
>>285668031

There's literally nothing wrong with the catacombs or new londo.
>>
>>285675397

PLEB
L
E
B
>>
>>285679391

Catacombs is just a buttfuck of getting lost until you finally find the shortcuts.

New Londo can be summed up with ghosts inside a wall, able to hit you, but you can't hit them.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.