[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would cinematic movie games such as TLOU, Uncharted, David Cage
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4
File: Sony_Games.jpg (866 KB, 1920x602) Image search: [Google]
Sony_Games.jpg
866 KB, 1920x602
Would cinematic movie games such as TLOU, Uncharted, David Cage games and the Order benefit from following in the same foot steps as Adventure games?
>>
>>284261346
Until Dawn isn't an adventure game?
>>
>>284261346
Why would they? There's nothing wrong with them as is.
>>
>>284261613
The gameplay does nothing to service the story telling in them.

>>284261496
It's closer to a movie than an actual game.
>>
>>284261346
Would OP benefit from taking Nintendo's dick out of his mouth?
>>
>>284261728
Has nothing to do with Nintendo. I hope you aren't offended.
>>
>>284261707
The gameplay is there because they are video games, and it adds to the whole immersion deal.

You are arguing to remove gameplay from video games. Think about that.
>>
>>284261896
Fuck you.
>>
>>284261707
People keep telling people in all the Telltale threads their games are movies then. Until Dawn seems like the PERFECT Youtube game.

>scene plays out
>two choices appear, click on the links to see that scene and continue the story
Alternatively watch it on Twitch.
>>
There are 2 types of cinematic games

The ones that have high quality acting and cutscenes but the priority and best part of it is still the gameplay (TLOU, Uncharted)

And those story based click and point kind of games (which are fine as long as they're done well) Like those telltale games, Cage games etc. Until Dawn looks like it's going to be in this category

The Order 1886 is a fucking mess that tries to be both
>>
>>284262149
There is no immersion when a cut scene plays and breaks the players control of the character.
>>
>>284261707
>The gameplay does nothing to service the story telling in them.
So, you want them to just not have any gameplay and just make movies?
>>
>>284261346
They'd probably benefit more from not trying to be games and just being high-budget animated films people would go to see in cinemas or something.
>>
>TLoU
>cinematic game
Why do people keep saying this? It's a fucking third person shooter with some stealth elements. It's not a cutscene movie or VN or anything. It has more gameplay time and fewer cutscenes than The Order.
>Uncharted on the same list
Oh, you're just an idiot. Alright. I should have known, my apologies.
>>
>>284262149
Not him, but what I took from that was that he was arguing AGAINST the cinematic movie games.

The Order is a terrible game. TLOU is a bad one.

As an idort, I can afford to get anything on any console. I did dodge a bullet with The Order. It is the PS4's Ryse.

The only cinematic movie game I actually like is The Wolf Among Us, though I do really like it.
>>
>>284262375
There is however, immersion when you are walking around a game environment and working your way through challenges with problem solving and observational skills.

You are now pretty much saying there can never be immersion in anything with a cutscene, which isn't true at all.
>>
>>284262149
Are you autismal or just shitposting?
Wait, no, I get it, you're just 20 minutes old and have no clue what an adventure game is.
>>
TLOU is better than anything Nintendo has released since before the Wii came out, and proves how far writing and voice acting can take a game. The fact that /v/ still talks about it every day 2 years later confirms it.
>>
>>284261346
They would benefit from emulating ANY video games.
>>
>>284262361
TLOU and Uncharted both suffer from Hollywood shlock writing. The acting and performance in both of these games are everything but subtle. In fact, TLOU pulls on the same techniques used in many Asian dramas to pull you in and they try to make a scene tense with music cues. This is anything but a good performance and it relies heavily on outside factors not related to the characters actual performance and dialogue.
>>
>David Cage games
>benefiting from anything
>>
>>284262512
If his problem is that the games have a lot of story then he should be arguing for more gameplay in them, not less.
>>
>>284261346
Uncharted is no more a "cinematic movie game" than Max Payne is.
>>
>>284262530
I know what an adventure game is.

Do you know that it's possible to have story heavy games outside of the adventure game genre?
>>
>>284262512
>TLOU is a bad game
Well meme'd!
>>
>>284262361
Uncharted has shitty acting, shitty writing, shitty plot, and most insultingly, asstasstic gameplay. It's a shitty cover based TPS, and a platformer that plays itself, and in 2, they even shoehorned in a stealth section. I cannot believe anyone defends this game.
>>
>>284262532
>Game that is literally set pieces the game outside of 3 instances at most
>Writing
>Its literally LOLZOMBIEAPOCALYSELOOKSOMEONEISIMMUNE the game

Its still a generic zombie story even if you call them fungus monsters since they function in almost the exact same way.
>>
>>284262732
Let him have his not so subtle fanboy troll thread.
>>
>>284262483
>why do people keep saying this?

Because it isn't on PC. Remember all those Walking Dead threads about Kenny? Those were mustards posting that most of the time, and a sudden influx of "Joel did nothing wrong" threads would happen if Naught Dog released TLOU for PC.
>>
>>284262520
That isn't immersion. That's just a game. True immersion is being lost and feeling apart of the game world rather than a view port into the game world. No game has yet to achieve this. As long as context, menus and waypoints exist in a way that doesn't make sense we will never have truly immersive gameplay. People confuse immersion with fidelity and mood.
>>
>>284262978
Friendly reminder that Joel did NOTHING wrong
>>
>>284262483
TLOU isn't a cinematic game but it sure as fuck is a scripted as balls game to the point where so many instances feel like a interactive movie. That first fucking 30 minutes alone was painful to get through.

After that it seems to be a pattern of
>1 instance you can fuck up
>3 more scripted events where you gotta be a dumb shit to fail
>Repeat
>>
>>284262831
It's apparent that you didn't like the story and you can try to trivialize it all you want because it's not a novel or a film, but TLOU is the most well-written Triple-A game in years. Hopefully it's success options for higher quality standards for video game writing. Take off the contrarian goggles.
>>
>>284262732
I can actually see /v/, as a whole, hating Max Payne, in a near future. It's true that Order 1886 is cinematic QTE garbage, but it seems like being a linear shooter is increasingly seen as a bad thing in itself, for some reason, even if it's a good one that doesn't take control away from the player every 5 steps.

I guess if a game isn't open world, it's now garbage...
>>
>>284263000
Very few people would agree that there are zero games that can generate a sense of immersion.
>>
>>284261346
As in what, incorporate a bunch of asinine "puzzles" that involve matching random items with random background objects?
>>
>>284263289
They should have spent their money on level design, music, and modeling instead. Story in video games is pretty much there to provide context and that should be it.
>>
>>284263289
>Most well written AAA game in years

How far back we going? If we go back atleast 5 years ill fucking shit on you. If its just like the last 1-2 years or so yeah sure nothing is written for crap so a mediocre zombie apocalypse plot a child could write probably is better then most plots.
>>
>>284263442
>if you want story, go read a book!!!!!!
How /v/tendo of you.
>>
The Last of Us and Uncharted are literally perfect games. If all cinematic games were this good then I'd play more of them.
>>
>>284263181
TLOU is poorly paced as well. It has the same problems with The Order 1886 except it goes on for double the amount of hours. It's The Order 1886 with a higher ratio of gameplay to cutscene but the gameplay is just as shallow. Naughty Dog have done well to trick players into thinking their choices matter in gameplay.

>>284263403
Very few people understand immersion. In the context of games, it hasn't been achieved because by design, games are made up of events that the player triggers. You are by design following a linear path. You're given false choice but the game only offers you these choices at certain points of the game. The game has rulesets you will always follow.
>>
File: 1419910433876.png (640 KB, 804x720) Image search: [Google]
1419910433876.png
640 KB, 804x720
>>284261346
Uncharted is fine, you faggot.

It's just a mindless action-adventure game where you blast foreigners all day. If you think it's a "movie game" you're a meme-spouting moron that has never actually played it.
>>
>>284261346

>fade into obscurity

Yeah, that'd probably be a good thing.
>>
>>284263442
Atleast it gives designers a excuse not to make levels straight lines. But i bet you're one of the retards who thinks DOOM levels are archaic
>>
>>284261346
Until Dawn should be replaced with MGS5
>>
>>284263624
Your only accepted level of immersion is EXTREME immersion, to the point of detachment from all else.

Your mistake is that you view immersion like an on and off switch, and not a scale.
>>
>>284263518
Calm down autist, I'm talking like 2-5 years or so.
>>
>>284263567
>Implying hes wrong

Story is something nice when its done well but if its the focus its retarded. If you're one of the people who believes games should be more story then gameplay based you should die. Simple as that i guarantee you have piss poor views on anything else in life if you believe otherwise.

RPGs are a small exception but their battle systems should still be solid.
>>
File: wisdom.jpg (32 KB, 305x288) Image search: [Google]
wisdom.jpg
32 KB, 305x288
>>284263567
Are you saying only Nintendo makes games where the game is the primary focus?
>>
>>284263645
Uncharted is bad at what it sets out to achieve. It's not a good game either. They would learn well to look at other games and fix the poorly scripted shoot outs and events that are meant to envelope the player.

>>284263739
Immersion isn't a switch.
>>
File: 1403616631852.png (23 KB, 587x697) Image search: [Google]
1403616631852.png
23 KB, 587x697
>>284262638
There's a difference between "good game with lots of story in it" and "game that sacrifices gameplay to make narrative".

I think that games, being interactive, can give a human element to a person's experiences with them. Take Shadow Of Mordor, for example. While it is mostly just an open-world BamHam game with AssCreed climby bits, the Nemesis system is something that gives every person's experience a unique twist to it, while still retaining focus and structure.

I've had some memorable experiences in it, such as my several attempts to assassinate Ishmoz Sword Master, a captain with exactly one weakness (against fire) and immune to every single damage type except fire. I eventually got him by throwing him into a fire and baiting a Graug to his position while he was panicked.

This is an example of GOOD storytelling within games, that is, using the interactive elements of a game to give a play a unique experience that is memorable and engaging. There are many other ways to do video game storytelling right, whether it is the Dark Souls route of giving the slightest hints as to what happened ages ago, or the Deus Ex route of giving many unique ways of accomplishing a goal, as long as you have the correct skills.

TLOU and The Order have none of these. There are no choices or unique experiences to be made within the game. You follow one path. You can't change that path. TLOU especially had this problem, since Joel's actions at the end made no fucking sense besides MUH DAUGHTER. I don't despise linearity, only excessive linearity. This is coming from a person that upholds Max Payne 3 as a 9/10 game.
>>
>>284263645
Welcome to everyone who calls uncharted, MGS, and games like them a movie.
>>
>>284263181
>but it sure is scripted as balls
And?
Don't get me wrong, TLoU still has a lot of problems, like the fucked up Cordyceps AI and the trope as fuck zombie writing. But just because it's scripted doesn't make it bad. Not every game is going to be or needs to be a totally open adventure for you to wander around in.
People praise Enslaved: Odyssey to the West all the time on /v/, and that game is liquid shit to look at or listen to, and is just as scripted as TLoU. At least TLoU looks decent and has decent voice acting.
>>
>>284263782
Metro 2033 and Nier are both more well written then TLOU.
>>
>>284263825
But that's how you treat it.

Your description of immersion doesn't allow for anything to be considered immersion unless it is EXTREME immersion.

You don't accept the idea that there are varying levels of immersion.
>>
>>284263442
>level design
Besides the chest-high walls it's pretty faithful given the setting.

>music
It has a great soundtrack.

>design
It's the best looking PS3 game.

Fuck off.
>>
>>284261346
That depends, would Legend of Zelda benefit from being an adventure game? Because every 3D zelda thus far can be considered a "cinematic game"
>>
>>284263624
You're full of shit. Skyrim alone is plenty immersive once modded to one's liking.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.