[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am i the only that got bored with turn-based Battle systems like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 172
Thread images: 22
File: original.jpg (349 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
349 KB, 960x540
Am i the only that got bored with turn-based Battle systems like 10 years ago ?
>>
>>284174780
Yes.
>>
>>284174780
Is that the year that you were diagnosed with autism?
>>
>>284174780

I like them, but I wish they weren't always applied to simply the absolute worst that Japan has to offer.
>>
Yes.

It blows my mind that to this day, there are still RPGs using the exact same "Attack/Spell/Item/Run" turn-based combat system created almost twenty years ago.

The strategy aspect is decent, but the grinding, timewasting, and mashing "attack" over and over again gets tiring.
>>
>>284174780
Depends, Traditional Final Fantasy without ATB is pretty boring, yet i Found chrono tigger fun and FFX has my favorite combat in the series.

If its interesting and well put together its fine. Look at darkest dungeon, that shit is amazing and its turn based.
>>
>>284175673
>grinding
>timewasting
>mashing

oh shit i have an idea !

maybe you should just not play these games if you don't enjoy their systems, anon
>>
>>284175673
don't fix something that isn't broken
>>
File: 2502915-4999khiii_online.jpg (100 KB, 1300x1000) Image search: [Google]
2502915-4999khiii_online.jpg
100 KB, 1300x1000
Kingdom hearts (and FFXV soon) have the best combat system ever.

F A C T
>>
>>284175673
Play something other than Final Fantasy.
>>
>>284175425
>implying that number crunching, slow, methodical battles are not autistic
>>
File: autism diagnosis.jpg (37 KB, 660x371) Image search: [Google]
autism diagnosis.jpg
37 KB, 660x371
>>284176272
>calculating exact #s in any rpg when damage ranges are rng
>>
I never gave SMT a chance.
Boy I was wrong.
Best turn-based system ever, and fast too.
>>
>>284176001
I think you mean star ocean
>>
I always hated in this systems that you cant dodge because reasons . Ye i know it sounds retarded but oh fuck how annoying it was when an enemy fucking threw something at you but your character was like "duuuur". Thats why i like what i have seen of XV
>>
>>284175425
I think you mean ADD. People always mix them up due to their buzzword status, even if they're pretty much the opposite of one another.
>>
>>284174780
Am i the only that got bored with first person shooting systems like 10 years ago ?
>>
>>284176001
Only KH1, BBS and days have good combat systems.
>>
>>284176363
It's usually a pretty tight range though. If you deal around 200 damage with one attack, you can assume it'll always do about 200 each time. Some don't even have rng in the damage roll.
>>
>>284176367

the problem with complicated battle systems in rpgs is that battles are repetitive, and happen frequently. being complicated and time consuming makes it exhausting quickly. the battle system is rarely the focus of the game and is instead tertiary to characters / plot and resource management
>>
File: DFDC-001[1].jpg (433 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
DFDC-001[1].jpg
433 KB, 1920x1080
>>284174780
The "three dudes line up on one side versus baddies lined up on the other side" turn based stuff is dumb. But I like SRPGs like pic related.
>>
>>284176001
Delusional weeb mall faggot detected
>>
For me, any RPG that isn't turn based or can't be paused anytime is an ARPG.
That includes FFs after X.

Honestly, I can't really understand the appeal of those.
Because you're limited in response time, they can't add complex battle mechanics nor can they make you ponder your choices for long.
At the same time, they're not as nearly exciting and the true ARPGs.
>>
Turn-based RPGs are the best, shame they seem to be a dying breed. Absolutely hated the latest FF games due to it having a timer on every attack.
>>
>>284174780
Seeing as how you were four 10yr ago, I don't believe you.
>>
File: 1373856732473.jpg (72 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1373856732473.jpg
72 KB, 400x400
>>284174780
Not really since every game I've played with action based combat is still just as easy. It is your own fault if you grind a game into oblivion and make it piss easy but a lot of turn based games are fun and challenging if you are level appropriate.

If you don't like turn based just play other games.
>>
>>284174780
Was that game any good?
>>
>>284174780
No it's kinda shitty, but the problem is it's either the same shit you already played with the same team comp like tank, mage and healer or they try something slightly different and it's even worse combat (hello xenoblade)
>>
>>284176538
Maybe if you got the time to get bored. Since I got a job it's the only thing I can play. I don't need to stress myself with fast paced games. But yeah DDS encounter rate was terrible I get what you're saying.
>>
File: 1412252135685.png (206 KB, 474x528) Image search: [Google]
1412252135685.png
206 KB, 474x528
>>284176715
>they can't add complex battle
and why would that be?
and are you actually implying JRPGs like FF have complex battles?
>>
Got bored because of so many generic jrpgs. Fell back in love with recently. Bravely Default on hard is pretty damn good. All that Braving. All that Defaulting.

It helps that I have a huge boner for job classes
>>
>>284174780
My first jrpg was Secret of Mana, so I was never a fan of turn based battles to begin with - I don't like the idea of surrendering control of my character
>>
>>284174780
needs a brazzers logo
>>
>>284175673
Japs love grind
They love number crunching
This is why jap games are stuck in the 90s and its not likely to change because they make games for themselves and not filthy gaijins
>>
File: 00259764-photo-rogue-galaxy.jpg (128 KB, 1280x722) Image search: [Google]
00259764-photo-rogue-galaxy.jpg
128 KB, 1280x722
Rogue galaxy and the Kingdom hearts series arethe only(relevant) ones doing a good job in not being a boring shitfest for 40 hours.
>>
>>284176514
how is the combat system of 1 better then in 2?
>>
File: 1411911252414.jpg (248 KB, 522x747) Image search: [Google]
1411911252414.jpg
248 KB, 522x747
>>284177029
are you implying JRPGs are the only games made by the Japanese?
>>
>>284176930
Everyone knows that Final Fantasy is the CoD of turn based RPGs. Generally speaking, nobody is talking about FF if they say the combat system is good.
>>
>>284174780
>Am i the only that got bored with turn-based Battle systems like 10 years ago ?
Turn battle are fine against hard enemies where you really need to think about your next actions but since using basic attack is enough for 90% of the encounters in a lot of rpg it gets old very quickly
>>
I'm really bored of turn based too. I used to love it, now i only enjoy it if it's done really well, but which pretty rare. I tried to play Divinity: Original Sin since it gets so much praise, but the turn based just really turned me off so i had to quit it.

There was a thread a while back with some sperglord saying RPGs can only be turned based, and if it's not turn based it's not an RPG. That was pretty hilarious.
>>
Turn based is fine if the mechanics at play are good like a megaten game or Fallout.

But if you just hate turn based that's fine just dont act like an add kid about it.
>>
>>284175673
>grinding

Unless you have brain problems there are very few turn based games nowadays that force you to hard grind. Half the time I end up over leveled just because I'm having fun playing the game but I guess playing the game is grinding now.
>>
>>284174780
Aww man speaking of jrpgs there was this one jrpg that had a rocking soundtrack. An anon posted it in a great soundttacks thread a few months ago but I can't even remember the title. The cover of the soundtrack though was some guy who reminded me of Gyro Zeppeli a little bit. The song's (or was it game?) title had either romance or love in it.
>>
I like turn-based in general but it's also easy to fuck up a turn-based battle system and make it boring as shit.

For example I'm finding it almost impossible to finish Persona Q at this point because I'm bored of the battles. I think if it was realtime I'd probably have an easier time forcing myself to grind through it.

If it's done well it can be nice and strategic, and also provide a more laid-back type of gameplay than realtime systems.
>>
There is nothing wrong with a battle system being turn-based.

That said, a lot of JRPGs share a shitty system where the best course of action is to hammer the attack action until the enemies go away. Normal battles are like the world's worst QTE and sometimes boss battles are no better. However, there ARE some good uses of the system. Generally games that make good use of it heal the party after the battle so that they can make every battle difficult instead of a grind to wear down your HP and force you to use potions/heals.

The best example I have ever encountered is Genius of Sappheiros, a Touhou doujin game. It's a JRPG I actually enjoyed a ton for the gameplay, while story was secondary (if not almost entirely absent). Even normal battles are hard, and boss battles are a real test of strategy (and sometimes patience).
>>
>>284177029
You're confusing japs with koreans. Japan moved over to mobile gaming.
>>
>>284176538
That isn't an inherent problem though it games made that way because people like it. If you want a game that focuses much more on combat there are plenty of games out there for you.
>>
>>284177079
Id throw tales and star ocean in there too. those four are the preeminent action jrpgs and I literally cant get enough of them
>>
>Hey ! an enemy is shooting a fucking little lazer oneshooting me !
>I better stand in the same place like a retard !
>>
>>284177606
>If you want a game that focuses much more on combat there are plenty of games out there for you
Not him but i just want a rpg with good combat.
>>
>>284177764
Then make one :^)
>>
>>284174780
WHAT GAME
WHAT GAME
WHAT GAAAAAAAAAAAME
>>
>>284177818
But why would i play it then?
>>
standard jrpg battle systems is utter shit, but no one plays jrpg for gameplay so they dont care
>>
>>284174780
Breaking news! Different people like different things!
>>
I got bored with most turn-based systems when I played Superstar Saga. Turn-based combat hasn't been as fun since then unless they were the other Mario and Luigi RPGs.
>>
>>284177852
It's shit. You don't want it.
>>
Man I'm sure tired of mashing my two attack buttons and then mashing harder when a large enemy comes out!
>>
JRPG fans never gave a single iota of a fuck about gameplay. It's all about the shit around it, actually playing the game is secondary.
>>
>>284177764
I assume you mean j- cause there are many real RPGs with good combat. Try Valkyria Chronicles, it has decent tactical tb combat, far surpassing any jrpgs (at least to my knowledge) and style, chars and story are good too.
>>
>>284177852

You don't want to know. It is unbelievably bad.

You're going to say you'll play it anyway for the artstyle or cute girls. Don't. It's not worth it and the artstyle looks like garbage in motion.
>>
>>284178254
Your knowledge is shit
>>
>>284178442
examples plz
>>
>>284174780
do you ever get to see a pantyshot in this game
>>
>>284178254
>scout rush the game
>decent tactical tb combat
Let me guess, you're a pc fag and vk was your first jrpg
>>
>''WAAAHHH TURN BASED COMBAT SUCKS!''
>Have you tried playing ''acclaimed game with turnbased combat'' or ''other well praised game with turnbased combat?''
>''YEAH THEY ALL SUCKED''
>Well maybe you just don't like the genre or style
>''NO THE GENRE IS THE PROBLEM NOT ME''
>>
>>284178254
>decent tactical tb combat
It's broken as fuck in favor of scout rushing, setting is good but story and some characters are super clichè.
>>
>>284178701
>look up review of those games
>combat are one of the negatives
>>
>>284174780

same here, good thing there's xenoblade now
>>
>>284178627
better examples, or another shitposter?
>>
>>284177852
It was Tokitowa, then named Time & Eternity when it was localized.
>>
>shiposters complaining nintendo rehashes the same shit they did 20 years ago
>meanwhile they still play final fantasy that uses turn based and complain about ff15 being action oriented

kekkutus
>>
jrpgs are strange
they are pretty much just stories but since you press buttons for 100 hours it feels like you are really playing a video game
i'm not complaining though, some of my favorite games are jrpgs. it's just that i don't have the attention span unless the game really draws me in somehow which is very rare
the last rpg i've played for more than a few hours was smt4 because of the cyberpunk stuff. have to say that my favorite part was the music followed by the graphical environment work, lol
>>
>>284177169
>Everyone knows that Final Fantasy is the CoD of turn based RPGs.
You just confirmed to have never, ever played FF games. Considering the series hasn't been traditional turn-based since IV, which was 24 years ago.
>>
>>284178254
>VC
>RPG

Oh god.
>BUT IT HAS L E V E L S

DMC4 must be the epitome of deep combat in RPGs because L E V E L S
>>
>>284176816
No. The concept of the game started out promising but the more they showed off the shittier it looked and everyone hoped it was going to get fixed before it was released, but it wasn't, not even remotely.
Part of it can probably be blamed on a lack of budget but I think Imageepoch took on a project that was way over their heads and it ended up pretty much as anyone should've expected when it was announced by them in the first place; a complete disaster.

They should, for the time being anyway, stick to making cheesy 2D tactics rpg's on handhelds instead. As much flack they get, I kinda enjoyed Luminous Arc 1 & 2. Shame we never got 3.
>>
>>284179439
>rpg
>jrpg

zzzz

only shitposters here?
>>
>>284176403
big up to star ocean till the ends of time one of the best ps2 games.
>>
jrpgs are for children grow up already
>>
>>284179115
Resonance of fate
>>
>>284179873
video games are for children grow up already
>>
>>284179706
I don't understand your point. Both JRPG and RPG have "ROLE-PLAYING GAME" in them. It's not an RPG of any sort.
>>
>>284178073
This right here is how you do a turn based game right.
Anything else is just fucking lazy and unimaginative
>>
>>284178842
>Game is challenging, has tons of depth, a well done presentation, and plenty else going for it but could have really benefited from being a shooter instead. 5/10 - IGN
>>
>>284179983

>entertainment is for children grow up already
>>
I get bored with shitty turn-based systems. Where you lack control tools, have to rely on shitty AI and the fights look like each other and drag out for too long.
If the game's battle system doesnt have the movement, the placement of your troops dont matter, everyone takes a turn in a row, chances are the game is fucking trash.
That includes most jrpgs, old western RPGs, but the stuff from -95 to 2005 was usually good and had some great ideas about turn-based combat.
>>
>>284179873
>>284179983
>>284180356
This is all true but I wouldn't use the word "children", more like... losers? Losers want to run away from reality because they have created nothing for themselves in it. They would rather blame the world for their shortcomings even though they know that it's truly their fault. The pain escalates, so do the addictions. Video games. Losers. All of /v/.
>>
I can enjoy both turn based and real time, but my experiences with people (real ones, not anon on the internet) seem to indicate that at least a decent portion of people who dislike real time really only dislike it because they have poor reflexes and reaction time, and can only beat turn based because there's little to no such skills involved.

Mostly this has just come up in discussions over FFXV. I know people who love the old games but jumped right on the "XV isn't turn based FF is ruined!" train, and every point they put forward for why eventually comes back to "I don't like real time because it's too hard."
>>
>>284180037
jrpgs have zero roleplay
>>
>>284180529
>Most JRPGs
>Relying on AI

Anon...

>old western RPGs
>Stuff from -95 to the random year of 2005 had some pretty good ideas

Please, stop being so silly.
>>
Aside from a system that isn't a shitty "mash attack to win", a turn-based RPG really needs a fuck ton of bosses. For most turn-based RPGs, the bosses tend to be where the player's knowledge of the system is tested, which tend to be the best kind of attles.

Having every normal encounter be like this would honestly be kind of tiring, especially if there's a material collection aspect to the system.
>>
>>284174780
It's weird that people have been experimenting with the jrpg formula for like 25 years but still haven't gotten it quite right. If anything rpgs have regressed since the snes era when games like chrono trigger were trying to make bold changes in the genre. Personally, I would make an rpg consist entirely of bosses. Bosses are actually challenging and tactical, but dungeons are just a grind. All that happens is that resources like health, magic, and items slowly decrease as your numbers increase. Given enough time, you can overlevel yourself and remove any challenge from the game. Invisible random encounters have been obsolete since the early 90s, how Final Fantasy gets away with this today is beyond me.
>>
>>284180719
Yes. I sure love to "roleplay" in games where the responses never change. :^)

Games are shit for roleplaying in unless it's online.
>>
I'm going to destroy this thread !!! ALLAHU ACKBAR !!! !!!!!!!!! !... !
>>
>>284179917
Looks fun, does have depth and variety in the long run or just a mindless button press? Why is it so unknown?
>>
>>284180719
You can change the name !...and thats it. (it isnt a bad thing tho)
>>
>>284180724
I didnt say most games rely on AI, I said it usually is a shit feature and almost always is poorly implemented. And also I didnt even imply that games starting with 95 were old. I was talking about stuff like Wizardy or MnM
>>
File: 1268559293940.jpg (74 KB, 529x375) Image search: [Google]
1268559293940.jpg
74 KB, 529x375
>>
>>284180807
>the responses never change
Confirmed for never playing a proper wrpg. The options are always going to be limited compared to table top role playing games though.
>>
>>284176403
So good that they're going straight to mobile!
>>
>>284175673

Sounds like you don't play any RPGs except remakes or homage games like Bravely Default.

Most games have some sort of auto battle for trash enemies, are balanced to not require grinding unless it's for bonus bosses, and have some other weird system on top of standard combat
>>
The funny thing is when people turn based combat is harder. So fucking hard. You need to fight the boss twice to memorize his attacks and the counter to his moves. Good luck doing that in KH 2 vs Terra or in BBS vs Mysterious figure
>>
>>284180719
>roleplay = self-insert character creation
>this is what plebs actually believe

Read this you faggot
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3623/the_history_of_computer_.php
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/1706/the_history_of_computer_.php
>>
>>284180865
because its not Final Fantasy, tales or megaten plus it was apparently too hard for some people.

Gameplay isnt mindless but you can role pretty overpowered.
>>
>>284181092
>prehistoric times still relevant
>somehow makes jrpgs anytthing more than pure story-driven adventures with no choice or roleplay
plz
>>
>>284174780
today game pacing go faster than it used to, so turn-base slowly fading compare with realtime battle system.
>>
>>284181259
Change metanen to Persona

Because the main ones are like indie games in the mainstream audience compared to the "spin-offs".
>>
File: image.jpg (142 KB, 692x922) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
142 KB, 692x922
I always think I hate them, but everytime I play a turn based game I love it
>>
For all its flaws I enjoyed Might and Magic X. I guess it's not simple attack/magic/item but it's pretty old school.
>>
>>284180790
>Bold changes
Literally ATB which was used in many Final Fantasies.

> Personally, I would make an rpg consist entirely of bosses. Bosses are actually challenging and tactical, but dungeons are just a grind.
How would that work? You would have no mooks and all the "dungeons" would actually be single room with a boss in it. Unless you put bosses as mooks but then the bosses would be mooks and not bosses.

> Invisible random encounters have been obsolete since the early 90s
Are you kidding me?
They haven't been obsolete, ever.

>how Final Fantasy gets away with this today is beyond me
In 13-2 and 13-3 the monsters are not invisible. Or 12.
>>
File: 1379086719179.png (292 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
1379086719179.png
292 KB, 550x550
>>284180923
>>
File: last-remnant-1[1].jpg (170 KB, 1278x722) Image search: [Google]
last-remnant-1[1].jpg
170 KB, 1278x722
>>284174780
as long as it looks cool I don't mind. If characters are actually moving, fighting and attacking I love it. See Last Remnant, FFX(X-2 aswell) or even Persona 3/4

However I get reall turned off by very simplistic visuals in battles; that's what turns me off from many old RPGs. I can still deal with something like SMTIV because the artwork is still interesting and the battles are quick, but it's really pushing it. I don't really blame the developers for me not being able to appreciate it, however there are many games from that era that managed to look better, see Chrono Trigger, where characters actually move and attack and battles follow a choreography
>>
>>284178359
>that walking animation
top lel
>>
>>284181306
Keep talking out of your ass, you're making it abundantly clear that everything you know about RPGs comes from modern Bioware and Bethesda games
>>
>>284181378
>nothing will be as sweet as persona babbies shitting themselves over SMT IV again
damn shame
>>
>>284174780
I still want to see someone make a TRPG with FFX's CTB system

or else I will
>>
>>284181586
you have no argument at all against the original point, what was in 80s is irrelevant to the fact than jrpgs are not rpgs
>>
>>284181493
>make god tier combat
>punish you if you fight too much
>>
>>284181493
>Moving
>Turn based combat system

kek,that would be too good .
>>
>>284180924
>muh "proper" WRPGs

The responses never change. Once you exhaust your few options, that's it.
>>
>>284181905
Literally in many games.
>>
File: resize.jpg (967 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
resize.jpg
967 KB, 1920x1200
It's fun when you have tons of unlockable skills, passives, complex buffs and ailments, specializations, and if enemies can wreck your shit if you don't plan well.
Also if you can create your own party and aren't stuck with characters you don't give a shit about.

But that's just my opinion.
>>
File: latest[1].png (1 MB, 1214x639) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
1 MB, 1214x639
>>284181843
I wouldn't call it god tier but damn the battles were satisfying. Just ordering "Beat the crap out of everyone" and watching how your treeps let hell loose was super cool. Shame about that shitty anti-grind system, still baffles me to this day. Made one bossfight unbeatable for me 10 hours in, haven't played since
>>284181905
are you retarded? I even listed examples
I'm talking about animation and visuals
>>
File: pagus.jpg (56 KB, 436x572) Image search: [Google]
pagus.jpg
56 KB, 436x572
>>284181843

>he didn't nuke everything with wizards

The game only punished you if you grinded mindlessly (easy battles, few stat ups). Honestly I wish there were more games that did this.
>>
>>284181925
>there are limitations
Yes there are. But in jrpgs there is no choice and very little variety at all, thats the core difference.
>>
>>284181476
I'm thinking there'd be one encounter per room and those encounters would be substantial enough that you couldn't just mash attack with your eyes closed. Or maybe the boss would roam around the dungeon and you'd have to track him? Anything but mindlessly easy encounters. They just pad the game out and make older rpgs impossible to play without an emulator. SMT games sort of mitigate this by giving massive advantages to hitting the weak points of enemies, or enemies hitting your weak points, but I feel like smt becomes kind of rock paper scissors-ish. Plus, it makes getting the first hit even more important, to the point where the majority of combat is decided by the finicky attack you have in the dungeon itself. I've died more than once in smt4 or persona 4 because I couldn't finagle my character in the right position and went 2nd with half my party KO's because the enemy randomly used the right attack on the right character.
>>
>>284182105
Can you really do all that in Etrian Odyssey?
>>
>>284181925
Well some WRPGs give you more dialogue when you talk to people more than once, but if you're playing a wrpg where stats and perks/feats don't give unique dialogue then you're playing the wrong games.
>>
>>284182232
Not him but yes. Altho I wouldn't say buffs/debuffs are complex as they are pretty straight forward, it's more amount managing the limits (and a few endgame bosses have nasty counter moves they automatically use if you have a certain amount of positive effects going on in your party).
>>
File: inn30ZwXcsaCS.webm (452 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
inn30ZwXcsaCS.webm
452 KB, 640x360
>>284182113
That dosnt mean shit. The best are when the character is literally a piece of wood(basically 99% of jrpgs) and dosnt do jack shit to even to dodge the fucking attack. It leaves me like pic related (I know its how the system works,but its fucking stupid today).
>>
>>284182232
I posted that as an example, and 4 is the easiest of the series I think, but yeah the series can get pretty hard and creating and optimizing your party is great.
>>
>>284174780
>Am i the only that...
no
>>
>>284177079
Only the first half of Rogue Galaxy is fun. The second half is boring, repetitive shit topped off by an insipid plot.
>>
File: ドクター ペッパー.png (981 KB, 1148x760) Image search: [Google]
ドクター ペッパー.png
981 KB, 1148x760
>>284182232
Large skill trees no cookie-cutter builds. Spiced up by the option to pick a sub-class.
Enemies wreck your hard if you are not prepared.
Status ailments work on bosses with low duration and progressively lower chances to land them which ultimately opens more options for you.
This game has no almost no story. It's pure turn-based gameplay and it delievers as such.
>>
>>284182634
Still better than :
>go defeat the boss that deals 350 "dmg" and needs 3 turns to attack you with his megashit oneshoot attack
then
>go defeat the boss that deals 450"dmg" and needs 2 turns to attack you with his megashit oneshoot attack
>>
>>284182739
So its more like tactics? Too bad its on DS only.
>>
>>284178073
action commands really help make turn based combat a little more exciting. also being able to do something when an enemy attacks and not just blindly take a hit is also good. seriously we need more action commands in jrpgs
>>
>>284180932
it's probably because of shit like DINNER TIME or whatever the fuck that was

star ocean the last hope international was the only star ocean game i played and i couldn't bear playing it past the first few hours
>>
>>284181773
If you actually read up you would know that your criteria for what makes an RPG is wrong.

You're just wrong, plain and simple. You don't have a fundamental understanding of the genre.
>>
Most RPGs that give the player freedom to move around in combat just end up as spam fests. If you want combat that allows for a lot of different spells, items and other commands, then turn-based battles are the best environment for that. Anything where you have to constantly be moving around inevitably de-emphasises anything that can require pauses for thought.
>>
File: RG_EU_Cover_300.jpg (132 KB, 300x424) Image search: [Google]
RG_EU_Cover_300.jpg
132 KB, 300x424
>>284183448
>Most RPGs that give the player freedom to move around in combat just end up as spam fests

No

Pic related
>>
>>284183448
I put more thought into combat in something like Devil May Cry than in your average turn based game.
>>
>>284183657

>Pic related
>Using your AOE spells would end normal battle instantly
>Using your AOE spells did more damage than anything else in a boss fight
>Implying it wasn't 'Spam strongest AOE spell to win: The Game'
>>
>>284176163
Okay lemme try Breath of Fire- oops
No wait Suikoden- oops
No wait Golden Sun- oops
No wait Dragon Quest- oops
No wait Lunar- oops
No wait Lufia- oops
No wait SMT- oops
No wait Etrian Odyssey- oops

>>284176367
>SMT
>fast
Top kekkins
Maybe if the only other game you've played is FF9
>>
>>284182232
You could do that in Wizardry over 30 years ago.
>>
>>284184112
Have you played Wizardry 1? It's a mess.
>>
>>284184401
Your face is a mess
>>
>>284184445
Please don't bully
>>
Recently played Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga. Are there any other turn based games like it that aren't other M&L games ? Really loved the manual dodging and how there was a fuck ton of different attacks, so the game always felt fresh due to not seeing the same attack enough times to master dodging it, even if it wasn't really challenging
>>
>>284174780
So you don't like turn-based stuff, what's the point?

Do you want people to prove that it's objectively bad or something?
>>
>>284182545
I still don't understand what you're trying to say
So you DON'T like it when characters barely even move are are animated in RPGs? Because thats exactly what I'm saying.
The gameplay can be as generic as can be, I still want battles to look authentic and fun
>>
>>284182739
I dislike Diablo skill tree in a real RPG. Your characters suck at low level because your skills require 20 levels before they become good. In the end you have a few token dps skills that you spam turn after turn. I prefer options. If it's a wizard then he should know all the elemental spells at least up to mid level.
>>
>>284178073
There's one anon on /v/ that's making a RPG with Mother's atmosphere and M&L's battle system.

You should check it out, it's pretty awesome.
>>
Some manage interesting twists like Resonance of Fate, most modern Megatens and Mario and Luigi
>>
>>284181925
>few options

They make a mountain size of difference in player experience though unless you are a gamist purist which most JRPG do not fall into this category. Sometimes your choices may affect how matters unfold rather than a few different lines from NPC.
>>
What game is that from? I can't tell if it's from an anime or just cel shaded
>>
>>284187871

I mean OP's pic btw.
>>
>>284187871
>>284187972
Guilty Gear Xrd
>>
File: Time and Eternity_18.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Time and Eternity_18.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>284187871
>>
>>284188023

Oh, thanks. I remember playing the demo, but I couldn't really get behind the controls.
>>
>>284183981
>Okay lemme try Breath of Fire- oops
>No wait Suikoden- oops
>No wait Golden Sun- oops
>No wait Dragon Quest- oops
>No wait Lunar- oops
>No wait Lufia- oops
>No wait SMT- oops
>No wait Etrian Odyssey- oops

>most of those series are either dead, long running or made as throwbacks to Wizardry

you failed to make a point
>>
>>284190195
>>most of those series are either dead, long running or made as throwbacks to Wizardry
What do you expect from a dead genre
>>
>>284190683
Considering Neptunia, Agarest and the FF games are actually selling well on Steam I think it's far from dying, I even believe their willingness to port to PC and the realization that there is an almost untapped market here will breath new life into it.
>>
>>284183296
For the nth time: prehistoric dungeon crawlers made when the medium was at its baby state do not define the criteria for RPG.
Even more so jrpg branching out from them moved even further away from roleplaying, becoming rigid story adventures instead.

This debate is like 4 years old btw.
>>
>>284178073
What about the other Mario RPGs though?
>>
>>284192808
>This debate is like 4 years old btw.
Yeah, I also remember when games were more about playing games and less about debating trite database-tier shit
>>
>>284175673
I'd rather have that then that gimmicky action shit like in Tales or the new Final Fantasy games. If you're gonna do it half assed, I'll just go play Bayonetta or DMC to get my fill of action games.
>>
if the central issue is taking turns vs. real time action, then doesn't that also imply team based vs. single character?
>>
>>284174780
I got bored with them even longer ago when I first played Star Ocean 2 and Legend of Mana.
>>
I stopped playing them back in the PS2 era. Picked them back up recently and it felt great. Chill as fuck.
>>
>>284176363
>not calculating stats
nigga do you even know how to play an RPG?
>>
>>284197669
>nigga do you even know how to play an RPG?
You mean press confirm button to win?
Thread replies: 172
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.