[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So Strafe got funded. The demo was fairly fun, for a pre-alpha teaser.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: url.jpg (282 KB, 1280x709) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
282 KB, 1280x709
So Strafe got funded.
The demo was fairly fun, for a pre-alpha teaser.
>>
> guys its like the 90's!
> its a meme game
will be forgotten within a week
>>
>>283954836
>meme game
everything's a meme game
>>
>>283954514
Gameplay actually looks a better than I was expecting. Needs a lot more weapon variety, though.
>>
Yet another "so retro" FPS that completely misses what made the classics so great to begin with. No amount of double jumps or fast movement can save bad level design, and since STRAFE's levels are going to be randomly generated, it's safe to say that there won't be anything interesting in that department. You can take the fast speed away from Doom and it's still a great game. Making the player move faster in generic modern military FPS #25968924861294 won't instantly make it a better game.
>>
File: face.png (675 KB, 1290x727) Image search: [Google]
face.png
675 KB, 1290x727
>>283955846
well they did say there would be more weapons.

I'm guessing you start with the choice of those 3, and along the way pick up/buy other weapons.

I mean there is a shop, So I assume shit will change in it.

they say special weapons will be treated like power ups, so if you get some super duper gun, it will last only as long as it's ammo does, but otherwise, you could like other shooters, scroll between weapons.

I was more wary about their procedural generation, but when they detailed just how that works, it makes it a bit better. This isn't minecraft where every block is randomized, they have preset level chunks that can be fitted together in different ways.

Speaking of which, they lied, there are secrets in the demo. if you go to the right hand corner of that big trash room before the exit, there's a false wall with some steroid pills behind it.

Also this if you fuck around and go through walls in the spaceship

cheeky cunts
>>
>>283956639
Except theyve said that while they take inspiration from those old shooters, they wanted to also do something slightly different.

as for the levels, they randomize it by level/room chunks that can get rearranged in different ways. I dont think it will be all too bad

>You can take the fast speed away from Doom and it's still a great game.
the speed is whats so great about doom though. the fact that i can lug around like 10 weapons and still sprint like a jackrabbit down corridors, popping heads with a shotgun. the level design was only fun because it was often mazelike, but at the same time, that level design got tedious when you got lost looking for where the fuck keycards and shit were.

>generic modern military FPS #25968924861294 won't instantly make it a better game.
How is this anything like a modern military shooter. This is the closest to those old shooters weve had in years, with the exception of maybe Blood Dragon
>>
>>283958289
>the speed is whats so great about doom though.
It's really not. If speed was what Doom relied on, mods like Hideous Destructor wouldn't work as well as they do. Doom is more about intelligent level design and dynamics between different types of enemies more than anything as arbitrary as how fast you can move.

>How is this anything like a modern military shooter.
Weak level design more than anything else. A linear set of corridors with the occasional branch that leads to a dead end is shit no matter how fast you go through it.
>Blood Dragon
Another example of this superficial shit. I liked Blood Dragon, but saying it's anything at all like 90s FPS games is laughable.
>>
>>283959597
I didnt say BD was like a 90's shooter. i said it was an exception to the rule thatshooters have been shit for ages, because it made away with all the stupid realistic rules they all have. no stamina, fast reloading, fun setting, etc. the gunplay was fine too, even if the level was just freeing garrisons.

i dont really think its entirely fair to compare this game to the old shooters just because they said they were inspired by them, when they clearly also dont try to be them.
>>
>>283960432
>when they clearly also dont try to be them.
Isn't their entire marketing strategy "SO 90S LOL! CRAZY BANNED COMMERCIAL!"?
>>
OP you can go suck dicks you have no idea what you're talking about

>>283958289
>>283956639
this guy knows whats up

these fucking devs man.. they rely on "look its oldschool!?" for marketing but have no idea about the complicated systems that made them so good.. they think pixel graphics, projectiles and SPEEDLOL!? is what makes them good? fuck these guys

> procedural generated levels
just kill me already. 90% of what made these games good was the thought out level design.. without that its shit
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.