[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you ever wanted to make your own game /v/? Tell me about it.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 25
File: 1398648597.png (79 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
1398648597.png
79 KB, 1600x900
Have you ever wanted to make your own game /v/? Tell me about it.
>>
File: dfsdfdfsdf.gif (1 MB, 500x200) Image search: [Google]
dfsdfdfsdf.gif
1 MB, 500x200
I want to make a randomly generated yes, I know city exploring game, themed like pic related. Think the city something like JSRF. It would probably be just a dumb walking sim but something sounds cool to me about just wandering around a city through alleyways and exploring and stuff
>>
File: 1413514757458.gif (904 KB, 250x231) Image search: [Google]
1413514757458.gif
904 KB, 250x231
>>283886508
I like those graphics and so long as you don't find out your sister is a lesbian at the end I'd definitely play your game.
>>
>>283886034

I want to make a game about playing as a loli. Nothing lewd, just something cutesy with fun and engaging game play. Maybe something similar to Earthbound?

Too bad I'm too lazy to do anything.
>>
Bird of prey simulator: kind of like a flight simulator, but you have to ride thermals and shit to keep in the air. Fly around looking for things to eat, then dive down to catch it. Stamina/energy meter, so that you have to keep catching food to stay alive. I was thinking about some weird shit, where each wing was mapped to an analogue trigger button and you have to keep pressing them to flap your wings. Hold one down to turn, the farther you hold it, the more you turn. Hold in both triggers to dive. I don't really know, I just want to be a bird sometimes.
>>
>>283886034
Damn, I heard the music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXjaCkPWpvU
>>
>>283886034
An SRPG that plays with FFT's CT turn order system, but comes with a stamina gauge to prevent speed from dominating the game. I could throw up my system introduction if anyone's interested.
>>
>>283886034
Title: Dark Spaces

Overview of the game: Game makes itself as an action game and for the first half, it is exactly that. However, the atmosphere slowly changes from action to horror. The shooting is disregardd in the second half but the first half teaches you stealth. Most people won't use it in the first part, so they are in the shallow end on the second half.

Promotional videos/artwork will look like one for an action game, but there are hints of what the game is really like.
>>
>>283887638
That sounds pretty badass actually.
>>
I desperately want to make my own RPG but I am way too lazy to learn how to code. I may write and draw everything for the artwork but I'd need a decent developer to make the game.
>>
File: guide to LED-LED Fans.png (233 KB, 700x900) Image search: [Google]
guide to LED-LED Fans.png
233 KB, 700x900
I have the perfect zombie survival game. deus ex graphics, 100 guns, random gen, loot, inventory. oh man.
>>
I want to make a game with gameplay similar to Contra and Metal Slug. Because we don't have enough of those kind of games. I'd probably go the old-MS route of having several playable characters that only differ in appearance.
>>
>>283886508

I've thought of a similar game where you do just freeroam around a big city ala JSRF but you're uncovering urban legends and discovering new locations and all that.

It's not really in a "make a game" category, but my favorite fantasy weapon has always been the pile bunker+shield. And I would love to see a game where the entire mechanic is about weathering the storm to get in close enough and land the big hit, the spike to the chest. Boss fights that if you do it right end in maybe 2-3 attacks because you struck the weakpoint at the right possible time.
>>
File: Natalia_Glinka.gif (158 KB, 159x282) Image search: [Google]
Natalia_Glinka.gif
158 KB, 159x282
>>283890969
>>
>>283890163
As someone who knows nothing about building computers. Is that shit in your image true?
>>
>>283886034
Basically God Hand x GTA(fzero-style racing) starring Captain Falcon

but I'm sure that's like 35% of /v/ too
>>
>>283891151
holy fuck. Is this a joke?
>>
>>283890006
Well, do you know how tomake your own sprites?

Check out RPG maker for a base engine but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DO NOT USE THE STANDARD SHIT THEY GIVE YOU!
>>
>>283891151
Yeah that's why your computer runs faster when it's Christmas.
>>
Basically x3 but with boats

You would start with a small ship in Mediterranean port some centuries before Crist. The goal would be to trade with the other cities and earn shekels. In the different areas there would be different goods, such as gold in Spain.
The player can also take missions like those in x3 (i.e transport this guy from Rome to Alexandria). When the player feels ready he can upgrade to a bigger ship and hire an AI captain to set up a trade route with his old one (or sell it of course).
I suppose the setting could be changed to virtually any time, such as the renaissance or today

To bad I have no idea how to make it
>>
working on a cyberpunk 4x game, creating the assets and learning code as I go. It'll probably suck ass, probably be a bug ridden mess. I'm pretty terrible at this. But, whatever. Had no intention on sharing it with anyone but friends and family.
>>
File: gameplay (13).webm (827 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
gameplay (13).webm
827 KB, 1280x720
I'm trying. I hope nobody from /agdg/ recognizes me.

Pretty much done with the gameplay prototype, right now I'm just working on the tutorial level to get a gd demo finished, progress has been slow lately because I'm still learning how to into art
>>
>>283891271
Hey, he said he didn't know anything about computers.
I can related, I don't know shit about taxes and money.

I discovered the telephone bill and the electric bill are different things the bad way just about 6 months ago.
>>
>>283892565
so, super meatboy clone?
>>
File: 1422393466556.gif (334 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1422393466556.gif
334 KB, 500x500
>>283886034
I think I said this in another thread a while back, but...

I want to make a fighting game that has the speed and flair of Melty Blood & some of the mechanics of BlazBlue. I want it to be easy enough to get into (tutorials, mechanics that aren't completely overwhelming when introduced), but deep enough that it can be played at a high level. Like, at tournaments or maybe even EVO... I want there to be a nice amount of single player content, too. Just in case you're low on friends. And I don't want it to be some old memeshit; I want there to be a decent story; Nothing fancy, nothing too waifu-pandering, just enough to make you wonder what's next. Thus far, everything is just words on a document, but one day, I want it to be real.

But first, I want to learn how to draw. I don't think anyone else can draw out the stuff I have in mind except for me.
>>
>>283892674
Did you know if you mail a yellow led to the government you can pay 20% less taxes?
>>
Multiplayer SPRG where players pick a wizard and try to kill eachother, primarily by summoning creatures.
>>
File: gameplay (45).webm (792 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
gameplay (45).webm
792 KB, 1280x720
>>283892762
yes.

right now I'm working on replacing the placeholder magic bullet thingy sprites. fuck art is hard as hell. i just winged that smoke animation it looks like poop.
>>
of course i have

but i suffer from ideas guy syndrome almost to a pathological degree and i can't accomplish anything i want to do without getting bored or unmotivated after a short period of time
>>
>>283892871

It doesn't look too bad
>>
>>283892871
This is a 1 man job? cool
Let us know when you finish the demo.
>>
File: awake at 4 30 am.gif (980 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
awake at 4 30 am.gif
980 KB, 480x360
I've been working my ass off for 4 years to be able to make vidya and now I'm near graduation. I'm applying for jobs everywhere and I feel outclassed constantly. People are better programmers than me, better artists than me, etc. I should give up. I know I'm heading for a life of suffering. A life that will take me away from my friends and family.

But the vidya is all I have.
>>
>>283892987

If there's anything you should have learned from the modern indie scene, it's that talent doesn't matter beyond being able to make a workable product. What matters is having the ability to make a game people actually want to play, the dedication to get it at least playable, and smart internet marketing.
>>
>>283892964
yea. I want to work on music too but music scares me so I'll have to go get a guy to help me in that department.

Yea I'll probably post a demo here on /v/. I really want to get it done within 2 weeks.
>>
>>283893151
That works for being indie, but I want at least a bit of industry experience (and financial stability) before I go that route. The AAA marketplace is a fucking sweatshop.
>>
>>283892987
I love you anon.

Follow your dreams, no matter how hard it seems.
>>
File: Capture.png (21 KB, 393x541) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
21 KB, 393x541
>>283889602
But this is the game I am closest to completing.

Pic related is an unfinished model for the character.

Next picture is unfinsished enemy model.
>>
>>283893289

Yes it is, which is why you absolutely should not do it. Do graphic design or programming for a real company. Shit, IT would be better than working for a major dev.
>>
File: Capture2.png (65 KB, 406x544) Image search: [Google]
Capture2.png
65 KB, 406x544
>>283893321
Enemy model
>>
Ghost pirate game. You're a pirate whose ship wrecks. You miraculously survive and wash up on an island, only to find that your ship and 4-man crew are ghosts. Gameplay involves sword/gunfighting and crew micromanagement with Tribes-style voice commands (Roberts, fire the port cannons!). Most enemies are navy and merchant boats, but there could also be sea monsters and rival ghosts.
>>
File: 1336405658557.jpg (48 KB, 247x248) Image search: [Google]
1336405658557.jpg
48 KB, 247x248
>>283893321
God god man, learn to extrude
>>
>>283886034
I just want to make a meme game and get rich off of it.
>>
a gigantic city where you plan heists like old rainbow six mission planning. you start with just yourself robbing shit like convenient stores then work your way up to getting a crew. as you steal more and more shit the city employs more and more advanced means of anti theft measures. as you get more and more money your crew has higher chances of turning on you or trying to secretly play you so you get caught and they don't. you have to carefully recon the job and can do shit like stealing city worker uniforms so you can go under the sewers and come in from the bottom or cut infrastructure connections like power and water to the job. you can create multiple escape routes and entry routes. the cops eventually use everything they can to stop you and it gets harder and harder to progress. they can create dynamic roadblocks and can deploy multiple teams. you spend money on researching better tools, recon equipment, weapons, vehicles, etc.
>>
>>283893321
>>283893385
It looks like shit.
>>
>>283893581
It was when I was just messing around with is years back.

The only reason I am posting it here is because it IS legit the closest I have come to making a game.
>>
>>283893756
Sounds like FFT if it was like the movie Heat.
>>
Yeah, but I realized that it wasn't practical so it's more just a "food for thought" thing I might bring up in conversation if it seems appropriate.

Really just a Groundhog's Day game. Not necessarily something with an overarching plot, but a sandbox where it's a matter of exploring and figuring out where things are and going from there. I suppose there could be skills, since Bill Murray did learn how to play piano and stuff, so there'd be some stuff retained.

Then I suppose there could be dumb unlocks and stuff, since why the fuck not. Rob a bunch of gold bars from a bank, get a golden skin. Shit like that.

But again, it's something that's entirely food for thought since it would never be marketable enough as an AAA title and an indie version would just be underwhelming.
>>
>>283893756
look at this ideaguy
>>
>>283894057
maybe you should make a game within your scope.

you know you can just like make a GOOD game right, doesn't have to be some crazy ambitious project that you'll never actually do.
>>
yo i just made / ideaguy / over on wheels chan for people to post and flesh out their vidya ideas n get help/feedback
>>
>>283886508
>proteus in the city
>>
>>283886034
more scifi space stuff.

Hell i want to make hundreds of games that they had in the 80s90s before the washed out hollywood jews realized you could a killing using their hollywood formula for gaming.
>>
>>283892476
>learning code as I go
Something that complicated is a terrible way to learn how to code. You'll never finish it and just end up discouraged
>>
>>283894057
Isometric, third person, or first person?
>>
endless runner where you play as a fully customizable dude running across roads or whatnot. Has to avoid obstacles, maybe climb roofs, grass is instakill, who knows.
>>
>>283890163

>red heats it up
>blue cools it down

what if you get purple?
>>
a SRPG that take place inside a house, and around the yard. You play as a tiny army. Troop relationships and personalities would be very important (some personalities clash).. im actually working on this as we speak.
>>
>>283886034
I want to make a game set in feudal japan or asia about a river/water demigod. platformer rpg, with the water powers being offensive and also mobility related
>>
>>283894591
Consequences will never be the same.
>>
I'm working on two games actually. One being an old-fashioned turn-based first-person dungeon crawler game that I've been working on since 2012, and the other being one I just began recently: a cyberpunk roguelike inspired by the end of the 80s anime film "Goku Midnight Eye".
>>
If I told you I was going to steal every idea in this thread, would you be afraid of posting your ideaguy ideas?
>>
>>283894795
No, because that would mean any of these actually get made. I'd rather play a video game than create one.
>>
File: helm.jpg (23 KB, 296x299) Image search: [Google]
helm.jpg
23 KB, 296x299
I worked on a JRPG every day for an hour or two for 5 years and near the final stretch of development my harddrive fucking failed and my backups had been deleted from the site i hosted them on
I haven't touched game development since, fuck that shit, I'm just going to become a train conductor or something
>>
File: laughing mexican.jpg (36 KB, 298x239) Image search: [Google]
laughing mexican.jpg
36 KB, 298x239
>>283894795
>implying you can code
>>
>>283894795
Nope.
Didn't even bother going in depth with my idea.
>>
>>283894186
No I mean I don't want to make games.Hell, while I'd love to *see* that game made, I probably wouldn't even want to make it.

Sorry for the confusion.
>>
>>283894795
I'd be worried that you'd fuck it up and not make it as good as my hopes want but as far as just "stealing" my idea then no. I can't into creating games, if somebody else can take my desires and make them reality I'm not gonna whine.
>>
>>283894935
^ This

The only reason why anyone comes up with ideas is because that is what they want to see.
>>
If I made a game it would be a dark and brooding simplistic RTS

in other words I would quite like to make a DEFCON ripoff.
>>
>>283894795
Nope.
If anything I'd like to help you if you did.
>>
>>283894943

Why were your backups deleted?
>>
A mech warriror online but more like the online from mech assault 2
>>
File: deathtongue31.jpg (88 KB, 342x335) Image search: [Google]
deathtongue31.jpg
88 KB, 342x335
Ive never wanted to make games, ive always wanted to make music for games
Ive made tons of music already in the hopes that one day i can make music for video games

it may be a silly dream, but its my dream.
>>
>>283895058
They got auto pruned like a week before due to getting 0 downloads and I hadn't reuploaded a backup yet
>>
I want to make a handheld device that can play any game ever with thought alone
>>
>>283894943
train conductor is actually a great gig. you aren't even responsible for operating it.
>>
>>283886034

I did, but it won't get anywhere with how much I wanna put in it.
>>
>>283895268
yeah I legit do want to become a train conductor it sounds like a job that's right up my alley
>>
sRPG ala FFT but with larger maps and armies (thinking 500x500 or more) as well as terrain altering magic and shit.
>>
>>283895150

Dude that's... that's not a backup service. A file hosting service is not for backups. What the hell were you thinking?
>>
I've had an idea for a portal like puzzle game with some combat mechanics. You would use several different gadgets through the game, like a crossbow that would shoot bolts you could jump off of, and another one I call the pin gun. You shoot a object, like a metal box, and then shoot a surface or enemy. The object would then be sent flying towards the target.
>>
>>283895747
>implying i was thinking
>>
>>283890163
Don't be like most devs where they put in like 16 different rifles but only 2 shotguns
>>
How hard is RPGmaker?
>>
File: 1395110133164.jpg (91 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
1395110133164.jpg
91 KB, 540x720
>>283894591
>>283894695
Purple makes the temperature stay the same but your rig becomes lighter.Trust me I'm a lawyer.
>>
>>283896061
Not hard at all

Learning Ruby is kind of a pain in the ass though if you want to make a game that has any cool features
>>
File: 1382141657583.gif (555 KB, 643x300) Image search: [Google]
1382141657583.gif
555 KB, 643x300
>>283886034
Oh yeah I love me some cityscape sprite art.
>>
>>283895793
Looks very pretty, anon. I like the premise.
>>
File: FUCK THIS THREAD.gif (3 MB, 640x420) Image search: [Google]
FUCK THIS THREAD.gif
3 MB, 640x420
>>283886034
>tfw have Wii U devkit.
>tfw have writers block and can't think of anything to make
>>
>>283892565
Does it still look like it did the last time you posted that webm? I last saw it around 2 weeks ago
>>
A sort of zombie fps, but a different type. Not abandoned walking dead style, more like panic in the streets style. Rounds could last up to a month. Scientists have to solve puzzles, find research, and experiment to work towards a cure. Military agencies would work towards thinning the numbers of infected, obtaining samples for scientists, and saving npc survivors. Hundreds of players could be in a lobby, split up into different servers during gameplay. Scientists would have to make and distribute a cure before the virus mutates too greatly and becomes unstoppable. It would be a huge joint effort requiring about 100 players.
>>
>>283892987
>>283893151
What this guy said.
>>
>>283886034
Made iOS pseudo-battlechess with full 3d skeletal animation and fragment shading, but had half the team leave before release deadline, then the money dried up and we had to release a half-baked product.
Still playable, but the animations are kinda shit, the mocap animator guy was one that bailed so I had to fill in, I'm an artist not an animator, ffs.
Apple charge developers for the privilege to develop, btw, so patches are not likely.
Got shit reviews from the few people who reviewed, but they always ended with "I'm keeping it installed" or something, reviews sounded frustrated rather than derisive, mostly due to AI one-shotting you at the start of some battles due to the AI min-maxing damage when levelling.
Not going to shill, it's what put me off game dev, tbh, good luck to anyone who's embarking down that path, make sure your skills are transferable to another avenue of employment.
If you really love games don't get into dev, but if you love creating, breaking and fixing shit, then it might be for you.
>>
>>283896105

> they edited the original meowth image for this cover

i am not sure how to feel
>>
>>283896794
Post the original
>>
>>283886034
A turn based RPG with a mix of Monkey Island world interaction, Mario RPG style combat, and a hero is fueled by science in a world that only has words for magic
>>
>>283886034
I'm hoping for game design tools to come out for consoles so we can start making our own games and mods with our gamepads and show the PCucks who's boss!
>>
>>283896856

https://e621.net/post/show/357946/anthro-ash_ketchum-beige_background-kanada-looking

don't ask me how i know because i'm fucking ashamed that i do
>>
File: gwyn.webm (1 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
gwyn.webm
1 MB, 640x480
game im currently working on
>>
>>283897086

This vaguely reminds me of Cave Story.
Well done.
>>
>>283897086
Looks fun even as rough as it is

Nice art style and I am a sucker for a good dash in a a game.
>>
>>283897086
this looks pretty good. Keep it up
>>
File: 1379035603566.jpg (443 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1379035603566.jpg
443 KB, 1600x1200
>>283897086
>2d
>pixel art
>retro
>>
>>283886034
>Have you ever wanted to make your own game /v/? Tell me about it.

I wish somehow I could make something like ARMA 2/3 in terms of scope and realism (or even more so) but with BF 4 level graphics and control for all 300 sq km.

First person perspective only, controls and handles like BF4, but all the weapons and vehicles and ballistics and stuff are ultra realistic and true to life, map is 250-300 sq km, 24 hr night day cycle, varying wind, changing weather conditions (rain makes it muddy, harder to move, snow and cold makes you shiver, harder to aim, high heat and sun beating on you tires you out, ect)

Only thing is that it'd be a game you could only play on the large pixel collider.
>>
>>283897183
>vaguely
>>
>>283897541
Honestly, I feel as though in a few years, we'll be saying the same thing about 16-bit indie titles.
>>
>>283897541
>anything that is 2d or has pixel art is automatically trying to be retro
>>
File: 3234325535.png (317 KB, 1195x1132) Image search: [Google]
3234325535.png
317 KB, 1195x1132
>>283886508

Sounds neat. I'd probably try to fuck with the player every so often. Maybe one day I'd make all the npcs stop their activity and just stare at the player, or maybe just remove them all together and keep the city ambiance playing.

Otherwise pretty normal game. Not pretentious at all–promise!
>>
File: armorcompF.jpg (217 KB, 1534x942) Image search: [Google]
armorcompF.jpg
217 KB, 1534x942
Briefly.
>>
>tfw want to talk about my idea but afraid someone will steal it
>>
>>283897086
You literally ripped cave story's sprites.
>>
>>283893289

Honestly, if you are looking for a stable job, then the video game industry is the wrong place to look.
>>
A social MMO like habbo, except instead of a hotel, its a neighborhood. Also works as an outlet for sharing art and music. My goal for it is to be as comfy as possible without being a jew. I'd love to have numerous gaming communities and tons of fun stuff for the members.

But this is just a dream.
>>
>>283896540

>Wii U devkit

Good luck with that. You're going to need it.
>>
File: wily.jpg (74 KB, 610x595) Image search: [Google]
wily.jpg
74 KB, 610x595
>>283886034
I got into messing with Game Maker and RPG Maker among other things, alongside being way in over my head, in an attempt to just make Mega Man and Sonic fan games, but there's always some catch (like paying for a game engine to even use example code bases to figure things from) or my attention span preventing me from doing so.

If I actually could make a game on my own, it'd probably end up a Mega Man X/Zero homage with its own world and story but familiar gameplay. Sort of a thing where you'd be able to pre-arm yourself before stages with styles instead of differing characters for a ranged or melee focus (with a mix of the two maybe being a bonus kind of thing), optional world and character building logs unlocked throughout the game and other things. Probably take literal weapons from bosses, along with something Z-Knuckle inspired for the melee style, rather than copying their powers directly and such.

All I know is that I have this big ass idea in my head and I can't get it out. And I still don't have the skills or knowledge after all these years to help get it to work either.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (89 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
89 KB, 1280x720
My dream game would be a cyberpunk/tech noir cross where you play as a sexy, cybernetically enhanced assassin chick where your ultimate goal is to bring down a mega-corporation run by Satan himself. Combat would play out in the cuh-rayzee style a la DMC or Bayonetta, focusing on dodging and switching between firearms and melee weapons. Character progression would play out like a Souls game, and you can ally yourself with other mega-corporations for perks and upgrades, but doing so will invoke the ire of other corporations.
>>
>>283898323
>ultimate goal is to bring down a mega-corporation run by Satan himself. Combat would play out in the cuh-rayzee style a la DMC or Bayonetta, focusing on dodging and switching between firearms and melee weapons
That's more or less DmC
>>
That feeling is called prudence. The last time I discussed a concept lo and behold it ended up as a prototype a month later by someone halfway across the world. I had discussed it IRL by the way. And no I don't think they stole it - it was a synchronicity type deal, I can say with 95% confidence. But still, it sucked, so why tempt fate.
>>
File: kurwa.gif (720 KB, 493x315) Image search: [Google]
kurwa.gif
720 KB, 493x315
>>
>>283899330
Was meant as a reply to
>>283897880
Don't know wtf
Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.