[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>In the beginning, I didn’t plan to make any of them as
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: this fucking guy.jpg (53 KB, 660x439) Image search: [Google]
this fucking guy.jpg
53 KB, 660x439
>In the beginning, I didn’t plan to make any of them as separate character variations (clones), but rather as color variations like Alph or Little Mac. This was even if we were going to use different voices for them. However, any character that gained some uniqueness through their balancing needed to be separated so their results and statistics could be counted properly. It wouldn’t have been fair to have the results counted together even though their strengths differ between the variations.

>Lucina was the first to be split off; this is because we made Marth’s moves more standard so he could be easy to handle by novice players.

>Dr. Mario already had a clear uniqueness, so by letting this character throw the fireball in his Dr. Mario costume or by cutting out his clear uniqueness that was established in Super Smash Bros. Melee, we could anger fans. So we added uniqueness to him with a stat-boost mechanic and split him off as a separate character.

>Dark Pit has exactly the same stats as Pit, so I first planned to handle him as a color variation. However, it would have made for a very strange setting for Black Pit to be using the Three Sacred Treasures, so we gave him a staff. One of the designers had also made the Electroshock Arm, so this was also another reason to make him a separate playable character.

>In the end, what was needed for each of these changes was to reduce the work required to balance the game. Hence all these characters were adjusted relative to their clone.

>For example, Marth and Lucina would only be tested against each other until they were roughly equal and in balance. For all other fighters, we take our results after fighting them against several dozen other characters. In fact, we set out on the premise that we would not include clone characters with this work.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/02/18/masahiro-sakurai-s-super-smash-bros-diaries.aspx?PostPageIndex=4
>>
File: 2578912-3281720898-7dPRh.jpg (254 KB, 1877x1056) Image search: [Google]
2578912-3281720898-7dPRh.jpg
254 KB, 1877x1056
>Dr. Mario already had a clear uniqueness, so by letting this character throw the fireball in his Dr. Mario costume or by cutting out his clear uniqueness that was established in Super Smash Bros. Melee, we could anger fans. So we added uniqueness to him with a stat-boost mechanic and split him off as a separate character.

>by letting this character throw the fireball in his Dr. Mario costume or by cutting out his clear uniqueness that was established in Super Smash Bros. Melee, we could anger fans.
>>
Rosterfags have no right to say tourneyfags take Smash too seriously.
>>
Everything that comes out of Sakurai's mouth is pure nonsense. I have no idea what this lunatic is talking about half the time, holy shit.
>>
File: 1398682307538.jpg (69 KB, 300x369) Image search: [Google]
1398682307538.jpg
69 KB, 300x369
>Dark Pit can't use the Sacred Treasures but Alph is fine using the Dolphin
>Marth and Lucina are roughly sequel in balance
>>
>>283821323
Surprise surprise, he's an inconsistent arbitrary egomaniac.
>>
>>283821323
>Alph is fine using the Dolphin
It's not even the Dolphin you fool, that's the ship from Pikmin 1

I get your point though
>>
>>283819732
Dark Pit and the others are fine but where's Dixie?
>>
It would have been pretty easy to reskin Mario's fireballs into pills. Yoshi's recolors already have different colored eggs. I don't see why they couldn't have done the same with his pills.
>>
>>283823756

He needed an excuse to inflate the roster with needless characters and to put another rep from his loved Kid Ikarus. Is just that.
>>
>However, it would have made for a very strange setting for Black Pit to be using the Three Sacred Treasures, so we gave him a staff.
And yet it's okay that all of the koopalings turn into Shadow Mario, right?
>>
>>283824498
Don't try to find any rhyme or reason in Sakurai's decisions. This is the nigger that considers Smash Tour the ideal version of Smash Bros.
>>
>>283823756
Because it wouldn't make sense for them to deal fire damage, and his point was that if even one move between alternate costumes had different properties, then said costume becomes its own character.
>>
What gets me is that the clones feel even lazier than in the past games.
>>
>>283825034
They are, like he said in the OP, they weren't even planned to be in the game at first unlike Brawl's cast.
>>
>>283821323
He's been lying and talking shit since the game was released.
>>
>>283819732
Remember, at the end of the day, it's okay when Melee pads out its roster with meaningless clones.
>>
Blah blah blah. All of this doesnt matter. There hasnt been a smash bros game since 2001.
>>
I just wish that in terms of playability every clone in the game preforms worse compared to the original. Lucina is worse than Marth, Dark Pit is considered worse than Pit and Mario is miles ahead of Dr.Mario.
>>
>>283826268
shit i meant to remove the " i just wish that" part
>>
>>283825981
No one is defending Melee's clones. Nice misdirection though.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.