[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Witcher trilogy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: mQcjpkA.jpg (137 KB, 2601x1922) Image search: [Google]
mQcjpkA.jpg
137 KB, 2601x1922
I hear alot of people praise Witcher 3, but are the first two good? I'm thinking of getting and playing the whole trilogy while it's on sale.
>>
>>321193240
The fan-base is quite divided.

There are those who are fans of the original NOVELS, and either like or dislike the games.
Then there's those, who've played all the games as they came out, and those who only got to try the series with the 2nd or even the 3rd game.

Personally, I started with TW1 couple years ago, and I fucking loved it. It's a very comfy and open-ish WRPG with great atmosphere and lot to do. It's also the only PROPER PC exclusive, and plays like so too. It is still not available on consoles, and from my experience, most console-kids just cannot handle the first game anyway.

The sequels were consolized and action-ized, and I disliked them quite a bit, especially TW2. The 3rd game was again a step backwards to 1st game's direction, and thus more enjoyable, but the console-roots are still visible IMO.

I'd recommend playing them all, and preferably multiple times. I'd suggest giving the books a shot too.
>>
>>321193240
They're good.
>>
>>321194504
Funny how they apparently made Witcher 2 for consoles, yet it was a PC exclusive for years? Doesn't make sense.
>>
Those chairs are shit
>>
>>321193240
1 is amazing, don't skip it
>>
The first has a great atmosphere and tone but the worst gameplay and story of the three
second has the best story
third is the most well rounded
>>
Never played the first one because it was cancelled for consoles. It should get a remake.
>>
>>321194695
>Funny how they apparently made Witcher 2 for consoles, yet it was a PC exclusive for years?
it was a PC "exclusive" for a mere 6 months. The only reason the Xbox port did not come out the same time as PC "original" is because CDP failed to find a good team to create the console port, so they decided to figure things out and make it themselves.

The overall design of the game and its world are already huge evidences of this, with those random walls with doors dividing the landscape, and the whole UI being your typical consolitis lists after list.

Oh, and pure legit QTEs.

>>321194832
>The first has a great atmosphere and tone but the worst gameplay and story of the three
I disagree completely. I fucking hate how slow and clunky TW2's gameplay is. It's totally unbalanced too.
>>
you can just play 2 and 3 like i did.

going into 3 blind is probably not the best idea because everything will probably be a little too alien with learning everything for the first time, but playing 2 first will help.
>>
>>321195116
>I fucking hate how slow and clunky TW2's gameplay is. It's totally unbalanced too.
yeah, it's almost as bad as TW1 in these regards
>>
File: 2015-05-16_00046.jpg (238 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-05-16_00046.jpg
238 KB, 1920x1080
>>321193240
TW1 is a very slow-paced RPG that's mainly about discovering more about your character. Excellent atmosphere, but keep in mind as you play it that it's a slow burn and it won't always be exciting.

TW2 is a more political and character-focused story, and is generally more engaging. It streamlines the first game's gameplay to be more "playable" and conventional, but it's still fairly clunky.

TW3 is a mix of the previous two games. It's somewhat slow-paced, because the game anywhere from 100-200 hours long, but it perfects most of the things from the previous games.

All of them are must-plays.
>>
>>321195116
It was an exclusive for a whole year you digger.
>>
Acording to my friend who loves the books, the games are pretty well adapted and have many details. However he never finished a single game.

Im 15-ish hours into the first game and yes, it does feel like a proper rpg with large cities and ple ty of npcs and quests. Combat takes a while to get used to and you need to travel long ass distances between each quest, which becomes tedious pretty quickly.

Graphically wise its decent, only downside is the characters having a rather robotic animation and Geralt doing an ocd triggering gesture everytime he speaks
>>
>>321195193
TW2 does not have Sword-stances, mouse-controls/movements were cut out completely, making picking up items off the ground a pain in the ass, and the inventory / UI is just awful.
>>
>>321193240
I'd say 2's pretty good, 1 is pretty dull. 3's the best but if you want a bit more connection with the world and story of recommend playing through 2 (it's 75% off on steam right now) then 3.
>>
>>321195370
ok?
>>
1: Great atmosphere, great story, gets very compelling toward the end. Don't play it with English VO though if you're an English speaker, it's cringy.

2: The best in the series, IMO. Dreamy visuals, tight fantasy story replete with kings, sorceresses, elves, dwarves, dragons, you name it. Geralt feels the most like a bad ass mutant killer in this one. Simply walking around you feel powerful.

3: An undeniable achievement. But the story is lacking. Most of the time is spent dealing with encounters with stupid peasants. It's more of a "Witcher Simulator"
>>
>>321194695
like most of /v/ shitposting when you dissect it
>>
>>321195761
>Don't play it with English VO though if you're an English speaker, it's cringy.

It's not that bad. I mean, the entire game is cheesy and cringy. The animations, the dialogue, the models, it's all kind of dated. It fits.

Plus you'll be playing the later games in English too so you might as well get used to the VAs (at least the ones that stay the same).
>>
>>321195946
The TW2 was actually coming to Xbox360 since day 1, but the port took some extra time to get made.
>>
I haven't sucked at a game as hard as I suck at witcher 2 right now. No chance vs queen endregas. Can't kill more than a handful of nekkars before the rest of the horde gets me. Stuck in flotsam. Please tell me this gets easier.
>>
>>321197460
like every other RPG it gets easy as fuck after you get some decent equipment.
>>
>>321197460
Yrden.
>>
The first game is amazing in its own right. Although it will probably take most people some time to get comfortable with. I myself dropped it after 12 hours, only to come back some time later and loving every second of it. The combat is somewhat forgettable but every other mechanic is excellent. The atmospehere is very well done as well

However you will have to form your own opinion
>>
>>321197460
Oils are the key, seriously that shit saves you
I upgraded my signs so I could just run around and spam Igni like a faggot.
Also get better gear
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.