[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I miss the good times /v/.. >it will never be 2003 again >you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 24
File: ggqjsk5igxiyonninunv.jpg (49 KB, 760x1084) Image search: [Google]
ggqjsk5igxiyonninunv.jpg
49 KB, 760x1084
I miss the good times /v/..
>it will never be 2003 again
>you will never enjoy those star wars journeys again with your friends

What's that? private server?
you mean the thing that's dead as shit and hasn't updated in 10 billion years and is missing 80% of the content?
cry
>>
>you will never be one of the only jedi on the server
> You will never lead your friends in a base assault that almost succeeds (They were almost impossible)
>You will never have to cover the retreat of all your best friends, keeping dozens of enemies occupied and aggro'd while they make a break for it.
>you will never be treated as a hero again
>The people you thought were friends will never storm your house while your crafting to try and claim the bounty on your head again
> You will never slaughter all your best friends because of their greed again
> You will never again be a fugitive and a member of the Hidden Order.
>>
File: 960.jpg (139 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
960.jpg
139 KB, 960x540
>>321160725
>you will never be one of the only jedi on the server
>tfw I actually had a jedi before any of the old man theme park bullshit got introduced and well before combat upgrade

That shit was amazing. I would join random hunting parties on dantooine or krayt parties on tatooine and came equipped with no weapon so people assumed I was teras kasi, then fucking lightsaber out of nowhere when combat started. I wish I had all those screenshots of people's reactions
>>
>>321161282
>actually revealing yourself to be a jedi

Retarded. Everyone knew the bounty on jedi was massive. Joining random pugs and revealing youre a jedi is a quick way to get killed
>>
File: 1337035616734.jpg (104 KB, 611x716) Image search: [Google]
1337035616734.jpg
104 KB, 611x716
I played SWG with my dad when it came out, but I was too young to really understand how to play correctly. I'm sad I missed the glory days of it. The stories people tell about it are fucking great and sound fun as hell. I recently bought it and tried the emu, but it's pretty dead and nowhere near what it used to be.
>>
>>321161508
honestly I never understood that jedi bounty hunter system. I never once got killed on my jedi by a player and I also had heard that (supposedly) if a jedi character died you actually lost the character and they'd become a glowy. My jedi died to random shit on dathomir and I never permalost them, so idk what was up with it. Maybe this was before bounties were working properly or something idk.
>>
I'm sure the game was fun but there's no way it was as good as people hype it up to have been
>>
File: base.png (58 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
base.png
58 KB, 500x500
I..is this any good?
>>
>>321161792
Almost... The village will be coming soon.
>>
>>321161654
Now that's where you're wrong. It was unlike anything out there at the time. This was before WoW. It offered a ton of freedom in a setting that many, many people have a serious passion for. It was mostly the social aspect that people liked some much. It really was like living in Star Wars. It was an experience, for sure.

>inb4 nostalgia glasses
>>
File: 1450258551269.jpg (68 KB, 486x556) Image search: [Google]
1450258551269.jpg
68 KB, 486x556
>>321161792
>>321161901

Maybe someone can explain this to me about SWGEMU because it made no sense. I played this shit a year or so ago and (as expected) it was mostly dead. I decided to start leveling up rifleman regardless and soon I found out that there was some frog (wtf) npc that you talk to and it literally maxes out all your levels and skill instantly and gives you max level doctor buffs, so I did.

Literally what the fuck is the point of this shit if you just max out instantly? or did I play on the wrong server or some shit that was only for tests and not to actually play the game? what the fuck
>>
>>321161792
It feels empty. Maybe I've just been unlucky in finding populated areas. Basilisk is the most populous server, fyi.
>>
>>321161654
It was the only MMO i know of that had full freedom to do whatever the fuck you wanted. It was also so heavily dependent on players for so many gameplay elements that it truly felt like the game was alive.

>>321161648
If you flagged as a jedi to bounty hunters or to the general public (by using the force in public) and they killed you you would become a glowie and you were unable to effect the real world.

You would still keep your force user character slot though if i remmber correctly.
>>
>>321162049
The emu servers are tweaked and not 1:1 to the original game. I sincerely doubt something like that would have been in the original.
>>
>>321162324
No the original game didn't have that NPC for sure, I played the original. I'm more asking what's the point of playing SWGEMU at all if you can just skip the entire game and just max out all your professions instantly like that?

I'm honestly thinking of giving it a try again, but what's the point if the entire journey is taken away instantly? the fuck are they thinking?
>>
PERMADEATH
>>
>>321162441
People played more for the social part. Doing shit in the star wars universe with friends. Nobody wants to level a bunch of skills in a dated, clunky game.
>>
>>321162049
You were playing on NOVA the test server. You want to be playing on Basilisk the play server. There are no frogs on Basilisk, and it's where 99.9% of the community is.
>>
>>321162725
Can you be a jedi on swgemu? how is it done on there?

that jedi system went through way too many revisions. The only system I recall was farming holocrons and mastering the profession it told you to master, other than that idk
>>
>>321162623
More misinformation... If you would spend 2 minutes reading the SWGEMU page. You would realize you assholes were playing on the wrong server.
>>
>>321162925
Misinformation? People did play for the social part.
>you assholes
I never said I encountered the frog or used Nova. I've always used Basilisk. Chill out.
>>
>>321162850
SWGEMU's goals is to emulate 14.1. Which is near the end before the Combat Upgrade, Therefore they will be using the Village system to unlock Jedi. You cannot be Jedi atm, but the Village will be coming in the next couple of months. The ground game is nearly complete, and JTL won't be nearly as hard to code, Since it was unchanged the entire time the game existed with it.
>>
File: 1450044363677.gif (41 KB, 248x244) Image search: [Google]
1450044363677.gif
41 KB, 248x244
>swgemu
>no creature handler

INTO
THE
FUCKING
TRASH
>>
>>321163256
Actually Creature Handler is in the game now.
>>
>>321163321
Oh shit. I'm playing.
>>
>>321163321
Are they as stupidly fucking OP as they were in original SWG? I forgot how it worked but I remember the biochemist or whatever profession would make some jacked up rancors and shit for the CH to use and they were pretty much invincible in PvE
>>
>>321163562
No they are not OP like they were when you could call 2-3 Rancors, and rape anyone. I believe you can only call 1 pet at a time now.
>>
>pre CU
>in a small guild having good times hunting jedi and rebel scum and just all around kicking ass as a TKM
>have a nice small town with a bunch of master crafters in guild
>I farm mats for them and they give me good shit in return
>GM and his wife had a anniversery party on their space yacht
>CU launch day
>everyone stops playing the game in under 1 hour
>only good thing in that shitty patch was adding color to icons.

Bria server. Bhodhi Sabbage was a faggot.
>>
There will never, EVER EVER EVER be a crafting system as complex and fun as Bio Engineer, and it creating something 90% useless since the creature revamp never came.
Fucking kill me, you people don't know what you missed
>>
File: 1368017584103.jpg (137 KB, 520x500) Image search: [Google]
1368017584103.jpg
137 KB, 520x500
>>321163562
>>321163836
>old CH/TKM
>old CH/Rifleman

It's been 12 years and I forget but was there any reason to go any melee class other than TKM? I only ever saw maybe 1-2 fencers or pikemen.
>>
>>321164773
ALL of swg's crafting system was amazing.

It's a shame droids kind of sucked or I would've gone Droid Engineer. I always wanted to make Droidekas or Super Battle Droids instead of crappy probe droids.
>>
File: SWG vs SWTOR.png (292 KB, 1198x477) Image search: [Google]
SWG vs SWTOR.png
292 KB, 1198x477
>>
>>321165484
did he died
>>
File: 1449409864638.gif (321 KB, 300x227) Image search: [Google]
1449409864638.gif
321 KB, 300x227
>dumping tons of boring camp grind hours into ranger just to get the best campsite schematic
>tfw deploying a massive as fuck portable camp in the middle of fuck nowhere for my friends to rest in during hunts

Shit was so cash
>>
I never played SWG is it worth playing on swgemu?

I am craving a star wars game so bad and played every other star wars game like 20x

only real mmo I ever played was FFXI

is there like a guide/info on the game I can look at like classes and other shit and how it worked before the update
>>
>>321165484
>that fucking ad on the side

Pottery
>>
>>321166043
The SWGEmu site has a ton of info.
Also, SWG wiki.
It's a little different than current mmos, fyi.
>>
>>321166267
is the SWG wiki pre CU? isnt that what SWGEMU is based off of?
>>
>>321165380
People played TKM most because of the innate armour that came with it. Why spend 100k on a full suit of composite when pant/chest/helmet would boost your defence to decent level, also /meditate for wound healing.
>>
>>321166675
It is based on pre-CU. I don't think the wiki is pre-CU, though. The wiki is what you'd want to use for more general info. The emu site or talking to people in game is where you'll get info on stats/builds, etc.
>>
>>321161543
I'm gutted I missed it as well, I grew up a poorfag but can remember seeing screenshots in magazines and reading about it, the thought of wandering around planets, talking to people and training to become a Jedi or Bounty Hunter seemed amazing, this is when my idea of an mmo was a world mostly run by the players not the themeparks we have nowadays.
>>
Was there really a random chance of being force sensitive when you created a character?
>>
>>321167442

It's true. All of it.
>>
>>321161792
It's good, Basilisk (the main server) is alright but SWG Awakening is great. It technically has less people but there's less bots so it feels more alive. Plus, it has Jedi implemented and fully functional, unlike Basilisk. I'd definitely recommend it, I've been playing on it actively.
>>
>>321163836
no you can call out multiple pets at a time, but it's essentially a choice between calling out 1 super badass pet or 3 sorta badass pets, no more 3 rancor nonsense
>>
>>321167545
>dat feel when 8 private servers

Aww shit. Awakening is the best one then?
>>
>>321167545
Does it have JTL yet? Or is that Reckoning? I thought one of them had it, or almost had it implemented.
>>
File: fish.jpg (95 KB, 464x630) Image search: [Google]
fish.jpg
95 KB, 464x630
>>321167820
I think so, for sure. The Emu project is open source now so there's a shitload of people hosting their own servers. Awakening is the most populated and is the best overall experience, I think.

Hit up Aelodo if you need help in game.
>>
>>321162108
SWG always felt empty outside of populated areas considering how huge planets were.
>>
File: 1430800540899.gif (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1430800540899.gif
3 MB, 640x360
>holocron
>master rifleman
np
>master dancer
fine
>master scout
ezmodo
>master...
y..yes?
bounty hunter
>>
>>321166709
it had a ton of knockdowns too from what I remember.
>>
you know the real source code for this game was leaked recently right? it is just a matter of time before full content private servers are up and running.
>>
>>321167836
Bloodfin has atmospheric flight but no actual space combat, which is a mess. That server is also filled with drama and power-hungry mods.

SWG Reborn (I think it's called) actually isn't based on Emu code and is instead based on a recently leaked version of NGE source code from near where the game shut down. This makes it technically illegal, as opposed to Emu, which is not. Additionally, I've yet to see a decent server last more than a few weeks without folding for one reason or another. The Reborn-code servers all have fully functional JTL but I've never seen one stick around for long.
>>
>>321168016
>Mon Calamari
I like your style
>>
File: 1443670682588.jpg (7 KB, 300x256) Image search: [Google]
1443670682588.jpg
7 KB, 300x256
>>321168020
>Master Image Designer
alright
>Master Musician
easy
>Master Creature Handler/Bio-Engineer/Droid Engineer/Architect/Armorsmith/Weaponsmith/Tailor/Ranger/Squad Leader/Combat Medic/Commando
Fuck that.
>>
File: normies ree.jpg (34 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
normies ree.jpg
34 KB, 600x600
>>321168020
>Master Pikeman
>Smuggler x1xx
>>
>>321168146
Good to know. Thanks.
>>
File: jesus wan kenobi.jpg (36 KB, 597x604) Image search: [Google]
jesus wan kenobi.jpg
36 KB, 597x604
I'm downloading this game right now.
Do I go through SWGEmu and try and find servers there? Where are you guys all playing on? I've never played this in my life, and riding on the hype, this might just be the mmo I've been looking for.
>>
>>321168024
it had 1 knockdown if I am remembering correctly, but also had dizzy. Dizzy would cause you to fall over on a stance change so if you combine dizzy and knockdown it was amazing. Only people who ever stood a chance in melee were jedi. Even then it was funny watching them spam force heal while knocked down.
>>
>>321168617
You download a specific launcher for the server you want. The main one is called Basilisk, which you can get from the SWGEmu website. You will need to register on the forum for it. Another anon pointed out that Awakening is the better experience. Google it and you find it right away. Same deal as the main server. Get the launcher, register on the site.
>>
File: Word Pun Hot Head.jpg (198 KB, 412x612) Image search: [Google]
Word Pun Hot Head.jpg
198 KB, 412x612
>>321168334
>Smuggler Underworld tree
>Bounty Hunter Mission tree
>>
so.. basilisk emu or awakening? I NEED TO PICK.

Also..
"Our Jedi system is like no other. It is extremely random and each player has an inherent force sensitivity that is determined upon birth (creation). In time each character will discover their path and force sensitivity. The path to Jedi will consist of 3 important elements, genetics (luck), hard work (no clues will be given here), and knowledge of the galaxy. "

What the fug I want to be JEDU LIGHTSUBR
>>
>>321168617
Just a word of warning, don't get too hyped. You usually only hear about the good from this game, when it's very flawed and largely an acquired taste.

I started playing SWG in 2004, have been following the emulator project since 2005 (yes, ten years later and they're still not done, but they're getting close) and would readily call it one of my favorite games of all time. But it is grindy. Progression is very fast if you know what you're doing, but you will be doing the exact same quest over and over again (with different creatures) from Novice Marksman all the way up to Master Rifleman. Combat has depth, but is clunky and somewhat spammy. But the community and interdependence it fosters amongst the players is unparalleled, it gives the best feeling of being in a player-driven, living world of any game I've played.

Plus the crafting system is god tier, even if levelling the crafting professions is a huge pain in the cock.
>>
>>321168901
This takes place during the original trilogy, so Jedi are meant to be rare. I don't really like the luck aspect though. You might get pretty far into a character before realizing you aren't force sensitive. That's a lot of wasted time if you really want to be a Jedi.
>>
File: ubese.jpg (42 KB, 253x521) Image search: [Google]
ubese.jpg
42 KB, 253x521
>>321168901
I have characters on both but I've been playing Awakening a lot more lately, would be more likely to recommend that.
>>
>>321169117
Every character can unlock Jedi, it's just harder for some than others on Awakening, I believe. I haven't unlocked it myself.
>>
>>321168982
Not to say SWG wasn't buggy and didn't stay that way until it got shut down, but a lot of things people complain about was just different MMORPG design compared how the genre works today. If you aren't social you won't get anywhere in SWG.
>>
>>321168982
where can I learn the ways of grinding? are there guides that tell you how to get past the bullshit? I dont mind spending my time on this game, as I have only movie battles 2 to play.

>>321169239
The only problem I would ever have playing this game would be even finding the right people. I can socialize and get along, but I don't think I would have any idea where to start. Is the game itself indimidating with the depth?
>>
File: Jarael's Lightsaber.jpg (660 KB, 1418x1500) Image search: [Google]
Jarael's Lightsaber.jpg
660 KB, 1418x1500
http://www.raphkoster.com/2015/04/15/star-wars-galaxies-tefs/

Here's a great series of blog posts from the lead designer of SWG, gives a lot of background to the game's development. Super interesting read, learning about the thought process behind a lot of decisions in the game is fascinating.
>>
What races were available in SWG?
>>
>>321169432
Starting on Tatooine and hitting the local cantina is probably the best way to go.
>>
>>321169432
yeah, usually if you google "<profession name> guide swg" you'll get a decent guide on how to level it, it varies depending on what you're trying to level. Doctor and entertainer buffs are paramount if you want to level fast, they make your character -much- more powerful for upward of 3 hours, but they do usually cost money. You'll often make the money back just a quest or two into your play session, though. They make a huge difference, we're talking about 300% increases here in a lot of cases.
>>
>>321169480
http://swg.wikia.com/wiki/Species

the ones listed in the playable section here. as far as I know, no servers have ever added more.
>>
>>321169480
zabrak, human, mon calamari, wookie, twilek,

those are the ones I remember, there might be a few more.
>>
>>321166221
>>321165484
swtor wasn't even announced by 2008 you morons
>>
File: CoE.jpg (13 KB, 322x311) Image search: [Google]
CoE.jpg
13 KB, 322x311
>>321160353
Chronicles of Elyria is the closest thing you can get to making SWG come back around
>player made everything
>literal build wherever you want
>literal do whatever you want (think one of the blogs mentioned you could be "max level" without touching a single mob, i.e, merchanting, music, healing, etc

http://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/1365-DJ-15-PlayerCreated-Dungeons?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=design-journal-15-CoE

inb4 shill
>>
>>321169706
it's an old news article that's showing current ads.

plus, SWTOR was announced in 2008, I have a day 1 forum account dating October 2008, not that it matters.
>>
the game does seem to be dead at the moment, only 300 people on the server.

Back in the summer there were at least 900 people on at one time and it seemed pretty busy to me.

You could go to Naboo, Corellia and there would be people there, compared to when SWG had the NGE and people only congregated in Mos Eisley.
>>
>>321169872
the advent of private servers has weakened the numbers on Basilisk, and a shitload of Basilisk was bots in the first place. expect it to stay that way until the introduction of Jedi on Basilisk, since a lot of the private servers beat them to the punch.
>>
>>321169664
>>321169673

>no Togruta or Chagrian

Damn.
>>
>>321170859
yeah, I wish it had a few more. TOR has Togruta now, but you're playing TOR, so you lose anyway.
>>
>>321170859
Literally the only added race to SWG were the Sullustans with JTL and that was because they had affinity with spaceships.
>>
>>321171063
Ithorians were also in JTL, but no more after that.
>>
>>321171154
Are races even that important or is it just appearance?
>>
>>321171063
I forget but what was the best crafting race? I remember Trandoshans were good at unarmed and Twileks were good entertainers.
>>
>>321171331
they get minor skill bonuses and have slightly different spreads on their health/action/mind bars, but you can easily play any species as any profession combination, the skill bonuses are usually minor quality-of-life improvements at best

>>321171336
hard to say overall. Mon Cals have the most Mind (useful) and bonuses to crafting certain things, humans get experimentation bonuses, Sullustans get bonuses on starship stuff, Rodians get bonuses on weapon assembly. there's others too, I know Sullustans also get crafting bonuses off the top of my head.
>>
File: 1450760233484.png (115 KB, 1243x637) Image search: [Google]
1450760233484.png
115 KB, 1243x637
>>
File: 1449077447461.jpg (8 KB, 178x154) Image search: [Google]
1449077447461.jpg
8 KB, 178x154
>>321172812
>>
File: wookiechef.png (499 KB, 399x928) Image search: [Google]
wookiechef.png
499 KB, 399x928
>>
>SWG
>Content

You're funny OP. Good riddance to this turd of a game.
>>
File: 1099_5.jpg (221 KB, 728x409) Image search: [Google]
1099_5.jpg
221 KB, 728x409
>>321174943
*gargling howl*
Hey, chef!
>>
File: 286zpmx.png (2 MB, 1367x768) Image search: [Google]
286zpmx.png
2 MB, 1367x768
>30/32 profesions done for unlocking jedi
>patch for getting the jedi easy released
>sell account for 420€ , 2 days after patch with jedi unlocked
>no regrets
>>
File: 1449109038498.gif (3 MB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1449109038498.gif
3 MB, 200x200
Who male /TKM + Master Dancer/ here?

Literally the best combo I've ever played as in any game.

Punch sand people in the face for an hour, then dance around in Mos Eisley like a whore for tips.
>>
>>321168982
How does it actually play, though? Is it like old Korean-style MMO's, or does it play somewhat similar to KOTOR?
>>
>>321161654
You are mistaken
>>
Can you spoonfeed me where to find the launcher? I heard Piratebay was taken down.
>>
More MMOs need non combat classes. It was a really good part of SWG.
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.