[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Despite its shortcomings, DaS2 is still great to play and you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 144
Thread images: 12
File: 236430_2015-01-03_00001.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
236430_2015-01-03_00001.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
Despite its shortcomings, DaS2 is still great to play and you can easily sink hundreds of hours and beat it multiple times.

It's a weak Souls game, but it's still a good game.

It's my GOTY 2014
>>
File: died.jpg (50 KB, 500x399) Image search: [Google]
died.jpg
50 KB, 500x399
honestly I feel the same way, but it was still a massive disappointment. it was only the best because every other game was much worse
>>
>It's a weak Souls game

not saying much, it's better than Demons which was shit compared to DaS
>>
basically yeah, its still better than the other 2 games in a few ways anyway
>>
>>277934835
It's better then DaS1.
>>
I agree with you anon, but i'm currently playing DaS 1 again because i want the achievments from Steam and because i want to go for another NG+ permagravelorded playthrough.
>>
File: 1420078975751.jpg (260 KB, 900x948) Image search: [Google]
1420078975751.jpg
260 KB, 900x948
>>277934954
>>
>>277935053
gameplay?
yes
story-wise?
no

i think dark souls 1 had more memorable places and enemies than dark souls 2
>>
>>277934954

Demon's Souls is way better than both Dark Soul games, anon.
>>
>>277935362
and demons had better story and lore. DaS1 sucks at everything.
>>
>>277934835
Agree 100%. It was my GOTY as well.
>>
>>277934835
I still get angry at the shrine of amana

the new DLC bosses are extremely difficult at NG+1 and beyond not because their movesets are difficult but because they have such a ridiculous amount of health meaning any minor mistakes made can add up really quick

like when fighting the boss of the iron king he has so much health and a ridiculous moveset that involves so much dodging that you end up only getting one hit off
>>
>>277935539
git gud
>>
>>277934954
You have terrible taste.
>>
>>277935436
well nothing in ds2 sucks as much as demon ruins, but nothing in dark souls 2 is as good as say, anor londo
>>
>>277935667
anor londo is so generic though.
>>
>>277935741
still radical though
>>
>>277935628
>game becomes difficult to the point that borderlands does where enemies have extremely excessive health and do far more damage that armor doesn't help against ever
>GITGUD MAYMAY
>>
>>277935667
Brume Tower is great
>>
>>277935807
Stop sucking then.
>>
File: 0za2MzK.png (205 KB, 262x490) Image search: [Google]
0za2MzK.png
205 KB, 262x490
>>277935539
i was on NG+4 when i first entered the sunken kings dungeon and those fuckers were my worst nightmare
>>
>>277935832
the dlc levels really are great, reminds me of demons souls level design as they all feel like singular separate worlds, which is a good thing really
>>
>>277935918
Sunken King enemies have retardedly high poise. I rarely stagger these fuckers in one hit using a two hand UGS.
>>
>>277935832
yea that entire place was really fun to explore but the final boss I think was too hard for the reward

>>277935907
nice meme

>>277935918
The wrath queen or what ever her name is is extremely difficult because she can summon veldstat over and over and over who is actually way harder than the wrath queen herself but shes really hard to down because she has so much health

use santiers spear, instant stun all day
>>
File: 1418860935952.png (123 KB, 711x534) Image search: [Google]
1418860935952.png
123 KB, 711x534
100% agree with you OP.

However as far as GOTY goes, for me it contends with Divinity, Wolfenstein, and Bayonetta 2. It's so hard to pick.
>>
I'm agreeing with the notion of it being the weakest souls game, but what is everyone else's problem with it?

I mainly just didn't feel like the enemies or environments were very inspired, especially compared to the other two games.

The durability shit sucks too and the limited respawns of enemies.

I think overall, it just feels like it's soulless, no pun intended.
>>
>>277936021
Santiers spear and they somehow stun everysingle time, I bet its because of the multiple hits causes intense stun damage
>>
>>277936131
>I mainly just didn't feel like the enemies or environments were very inspired, especially compared to the other two games.
this was my main complaint

I've never played DS1 but when I see people play it like lobos, its so fucking expansive and fun and not flat, the world is extremely 3d
>>
>People say Sinh is a good boss fight
>The Dark Souls equivalent of Azure Rathalos
>Good
Sinh is shit, Raime, Alonne, Aava, and Ivory King are leagues better.
>>
It is utter shit compared to the original
>>
File: 236430_2015-01-02_00013.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
236430_2015-01-02_00013.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
These guys were my worst nightmare. Still a fun experience.

>baited one them to follow me in the acid bug room
>climb up the stairs
>he's stuck inside
>>
I can't believe there are still retards that think DaS1 isn't the worst game in the series.
>>
>>277936389
Fucking ivory king and iron king are another two stupid generic humanoid bosses whose movesets are long enough to make you roll and dodge and you only get 1 or two hits off making the boss take forever because he has infinite stamina

meanwhile sinh one of a few bosses who was actually worth it, does more than swing a sword
>>
>>277936585
you gotta kill their possessed armor otherwise they're invulnerable to physical damage and only damage to elemental
>>
>>277936823
>talks about monster bosses
>when the series monsters bosses include
>a dragon god whos just a puzzle
>easy ass centipede monster
>spider lady thats super easy, only remember for tits
>terrible ass dragon fights that aren't puzzles
>storm king, complete garbage fight
>and of course, chaos tree

The list still goes on too.

Non humanoid fights in the souls series has always been trash, complaining that they're not there is utter bullshit.
>>
>>277936823
>Humanoid bosses are bad
IK, Alonne and Raime all require you to be able to dodge on reaction not learning the moveset and timing it and commit to attacks because circling around doesn't work.

Sinh just flies from one side of the arena to the other, its not challenging, or difficult its just tedious.
>>
>>277937180
>OH SHIT HE'S IN THE AIR
>OH GOOD HE FINALLY LANDED
>GO AROUND HIM TO AVOID GETTING HIT BY HIS HEAD SWIPES
>I'M ALMOST IN RANGE
>SWING SWORD
>HE'S ALREADY IN THE AIR
>MISSED
Goddammit... But IIRC he rarely takes off if you solo him.
>>
they use the same moveset over and over with little deviation
>>
>>277936606
I can't believe there are still people that think DeS is the best, but then hipsters/sonyfags exist.
>>
>>277937180
He flies alot, but once you get him on the ground he has a good variety of moves. And at half health he starts punishing you for hugging his nuts the whole time. I dunno, I kinda liked the constant flying because that's what I expect a monster with wings to do.

Not to say the humanoid bosses in the DLC were bad.
>>
DS1 > DeS=DS2
>>
>>277937537
Agreed DaS2 is the best.
>>
File: 1418629104298.png (356 KB, 572x380) Image search: [Google]
1418629104298.png
356 KB, 572x380
>>277937119
>storm king
>garbage
>>
Demon's Souls for atmosphere and story
Dark Souls for adventure and exploration
Dark Souls II for gameplay and content
>>
>>277935397
Demon's Souls is in no way better than Dark Souls was. And yes, I do own a PS3 and a copy of the game and did beat it.

>muh Tower of Latria
>>
>>277937119
This, DaS1 also had so many stupid and pointless bossfights.

>pinwheel
>gwyndolin
Literally joke fights.
>ceaseless
You don't even have to fight him directly.
>moonlight butterfly
Just spams shit. Terrible boss fight.

Yeah, DaS1 bosses had the looks, but they weren't any better than DaS2 bosses.
>>
>>277937119

Kalameet, Flamelurker, Manus and I would consider both iron golem and tower knight in this catagory since they're huge. And storm king was an awesome fight, using stormruler was fucking awesome, even if it was an easy fight. And let's not forget Sif, that fight was incredible, probably the best in vanilla DS1,
>>
>>277938048
to be fair latria is the single best level/world of any souls game, and i think it would be hard to argue otherwise
>>
DeS > DaS 2 > DaS
>>
>>277938087
Don't forget you fight Asylum Demon multiple times.
>>
>>277938180

Latria was shit, I was so glad to be done with it after finishing the disappointing old monk fight that, in theory should be great. But it's too unpredictable. Playing offline means the fight's easy and even online most people are in soul form and I'm not sure a player can be summoned then, but even if they can, it can be a shitty player. And fool's idol was just annoying.
>>
>>277938173
>sif
>literally just stay underneath him the boss fight
>incredible xD
>>
>>277934835
what soul memory do people start helping with duke's dear freja? I didn't see any signs last time I was there around 400k sm
>>
>>277938173
Oh I see, you have terrible taste. And most likely a bitch, since you like Sif.
>>
File: No.webm (541 KB, 465x254) Image search: [Google]
No.webm
541 KB, 465x254
>>277935397
>>
I havent got it yet, im just going to wait on the upgraded version for pc.

das1 is great though and I dont know how you could screw up a direct sequel so much that it would be considered "shit." I think peoples expectations were too high, maybe if they saw it as a big level pack instead of a totally new game they would enjoy it more. I think people are just overreacting, as they normally do on /v/.
>>
>>277938476
You haven't played the game, you don't know shit.
>>
>>277938476
Overreactiing and remembering DaS to be better then it was in reality.
>>
>>277938087
>>277938264
but muh DLC! muh Ornstein and Smough that I'll defend in the same breath I condemn DaS2 for having too many multiple-enemy boss fights!
>>
>>277937919
nice gimmick meme boss
>>
>>277938357
>implying people don't intentionally go human in order to be summoned for Old Monk fight
>>
>>277938435

>Souls series has shit bosses that aren't humanoids
>Those bosses? They're shit and you're wrong
Good comeback bro!
>>
>>277938385
In my experience, most people don't help with Freja because Tseldora is cancer
>>
>>277938623

You wouldn't even know about it on your first playthrough except by chance. Even then, you want a boss fight, not PvP. There's a whole meta-game for that.
>>
>>277938627
Great response to me comment bro.

I bet you cried little bitch tears to sif.
>>
>>277938639
Mostly this. Sunbros had to trek from the bonfire to the boss room and it's a long and annoying walk.
>>
>>277938379

Once you know how to do most bosses in the souls series they can be dismissed in the same manner. If you fight Sif properly, it's a fun fight and the music/atmosphere is great.
>>
>>277938732
That just makes it all the better.
>>
>>277938748

Holy shit, you got me pegged! Sif is totes my dogfu and ye bro i cried so hard xD
>>
It seems like most of the big complaints against DaS2 is somehow multiplayer focused. Is it a good game for someone who plays offline mode only?
>>
Dark Souls series is shit. It's fanbase is literally the most retarded thing in existence and when their favorite game is criticized resort to:
>praise the sun!1
>lol casuals
>git gud
and the list goes on
>>
>>277938884

I have to disagree.
If nobody gets summoned, the fight is ridiculously easy. If somebody does get summoned, it can be even easier.
>>
File: Dragon Souls.jpg (218 KB, 1024x883) Image search: [Google]
Dragon Souls.jpg
218 KB, 1024x883
You know it's true
>>
>>277938974
What? DaS2 has the best multi and combat of the entire series.
>>
>>277938974
Yeah, the offline is pretty solid for the most part.

A majority of the disappointment seems to lie in that they somehow managed to make the multiplayer components worse. They were already terrible in the earlier games, so it was pretty baffling.
>>
>>277939056

Souls fans are only bad if they're fanboys and if you think the souls fanboys are worse than sony/nintendo fanboys on here then... damn.
>>
>>277939056
When was the last time someone even said 'Praise the Sun!' in any of these threads?
The only one talking about pancakes is you
>>
>>277939065
>If somebody does get summoned, it can be even easier.
Nonsense, as it was previously said, it's highly likely that anyone who goes human wants to be in the fight.
Furthermore, I reject this notion that a fight has to be difficult in order to be good.
>>
This was more or less my reaction to the game. Especially after the DLC came out. I was pretty disappointed at first, but I've really come around recently and I've probably played as much DaS2 as I have Demon's or DaS1. The level and enemy design don't feel quite as inspired, but the actual gameplay tweaks are an improvement. For the most part, at least.
>>
>>277939124

But the first dragonball isn't shit
>>
>>277936131
Only intelligent perspective in this thread.
>>
>>277939365

Well the end boss in an area where the previous one was maneaters, yeah. I'd expect it to be a little difficult and an actual boss, not just PvP.

I'm not saying PvP's bad, but it's bad to just have it in place of a boss fight.
>>
>>277939124
This implies that DeS is better than DaS, which is wrong
It's also implying the knee-jerk reaction that DBZ GT was bad, when it when the only thing since Namek to actually have adventure, in a series that had long since abandoned what had previously been its heart
>>
The Shulva dlc introduced the worst, most meta element ever: Flynn's Ring
>>
Good game. Worthy of most top 10s.
Not as good as DeS or DaS but solid all round.
>>
>>277939676
It's their own fault for making armor and poise almost worthless.
>>
>>277939552
It's a fresh concept, and I really dislike that you liken any possible PvP encounter to being less than "a little difficult"
If you have no problems in PvP, I seriously doubt any boss would pose a problem.
>>
>>277936302
The inclusion of teleportation from the get-go kind of ruined the level design, I'd imagine. Dark Souls 1 is kind of like a metroidvania where the entire map is interconnected and opens up to you in really impressive ways throughout the game. Dark Souls 2 feels like a bunch of isolated areas that aren't actually joined together, but since there is still some semblance of interconnectivity, they aren't nearly as refined as any of the Demon's Souls levels, which really were self-contained, but incredibly intricate in their own right. That said, I still really like Dark Souls 2. There are just certain aspects of the game that don't quite live up to its predecessors.
>>
>>277939803
Even with stacked poise, and hyper armor, you can still get locked by any asshole twohanding a longsword.
>>
Even though DaS is better, I still had a lot more fun and time sunk into DaS2.
>>
>>277936131

I like the game, I'd agree with OP that it's still my game of the year. I still finished it multiple times and did a SL1 run etc... but my problems are thus:

-Healing items. Estus was introduced to stop the farce that was grass in DeS. Where bosses can just be worn down over time depending on how much grass you have.
-Teleporting from the beginning. While issues about world connectivity aside, this feature alone made the world feel disconnected for me and the game less daunting. For example: In blighttown, the trek had so much more weight knowing that you couldn't just teleport to buy healing supplies/any poison shit etc...
-Agility. I don't like i-frames being tied to a stat.
-Hitboxes. This was annoying in DS1, but DS2 is ridiculous in this regard.
-Enemy targetting. It's like they're on a spinning plate with their 360 degree tracking.
-Poise being messed about with.
-The feel of the game felt slow. The first time I jumped in I tried to parry and couldn't get it on a common undead for shit. It all just felt heavy and sluggish.
-The world felt very washed out colour-wise.
-Soul memory.
-No red/blue eye 'orb'
-Limited enemy spawns. Especially annoying when farming equipment.
-Repairable ring of life protection.
-Many mobs can be more deadly than actual fucking bosses.

Just off the top of my head.
Just my opinions, so obviously a shitload of you are gonna disagree and say I have shit taste etc...
>>
>>277940226
That was pretty much my point. Flynn's became such a thing because it was already fashion souls anyway. It's a free 50 damage.
>>
>>277939902

I said that if it summons a player it CAN be easier. It can also be annoying bullshit.
>>
>>277940335
>implying anyone will disagree with shitting on DaS2
Does anyone actually like anything about the game? All anyone does is talk about how much they hate it and everything about it, for many like it's the absolute worst game they've ever played. The only thing I've ever seen anyone say they liked about it was that in some cases the gameplay was improved; otherwise nothing.
>>
>>277940834
I-I like the cloth physics...!
>>
Raime and Alonne were some of the best boss fights in the entire series. It's funny, all of the games' best bosses are humanoid enemies.
>>
>>277940458
It can also be fun
>>
>>277940834
I liked the game. They just fucked up on so many things that were already fine.

It's like they changed everything that didn't need to be changed and didn't fix the problems that needed to be fixed. To be fair, they've at least partially addressed this in recent patches. Still not really there yet though.
>>
>>277940438
I'll admit to using Flynn's, and Longsword but who cares at this point when there's worse out there.
>>
>>277940834
i like the endgame and the amount of content. the first haldf before drangelic castle can go fuck itself with a stick
>>
>>277940834

I like that dual wielding is viable now with powerstance. The fact that they introduced facial hair for characters and some other stuff that I can't think of right now.
>>
>>277940335
you covered pretty much everything I disliked about DS2

certain rings don't scale and because of that are worthless beyond a certain point

like when I'm playing with my NG+7 character, things like ring of blades, ring of steel protection and other items don't give extra scaling based on armor or damage or anything

steel protection just gives +100 to armor rating and thats it, but when you're wearing havel's armor its still just 100 and in later game that means nothing because armor is shit and worthless

ring of blades is the same, flynns ring is the same

only certain rings scale on a percentage like chloranthy ring
>>
>>277941323
I don't like the end game, nashandra is easy as piss because killing the curse balls is easy to see and her swings are predictable so shes not hard at all, throne defender and watcher were better
>>
If I'm a casual and the atmosphere in DaS doesn't matter to me, will I find DaS 2 to be as good a game?
>>
This is a good video that lists all my problems with dark souls 2, if you care enough to invest 40+ minutes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UScsme8didI
>>
>>277939558
Nah GT was balls go away.
>>
>>277942206

No.
There are many things DS2 does worse than DS1, not just atmosphere and being easier.
>>
>>277941263
I dislike the amount of NG+ support, many rings that don't scale, meaning they're worthless

I dislike the armor system being shit and not negating a lot of damage physically, especially beyond NG+, some enemies do so much damage that armor is worthless and shit
>>
File: 1412443824858.png (35 KB, 243x296) Image search: [Google]
1412443824858.png
35 KB, 243x296
>>277940834
Good dual wielding, no entirely useless classes of weapons, no useless or used specifically for one obscure thing covenants, more armor variety, more bosses, new things to do in NG+, four ring slots, 3 weapon slots for each hand, and better pvp arenas are the positives for me. I'm not dismissing the negatives people have posted because they're pretty valid but, there you go.
>>
>>277942717

>No useless covenants.
Might want to look over the DS2 covenants again there bud.
>>
>>277942717
whips are pretty shit, spears except for a select few are all shit and many of the shields are useless
>>
Somebody with a brain on /v/? What the fuck?

DaSII did a lot of things better than the first, but it did a lot of things worse too. It's still a damn good game compared to the literal shit that gets released nowadays.
>>
>>277942934
Every covenant gives you a reward for deepening it, so I dunno what you're talking about? DaS had covenants that did not do anything.
>>
>>277942603
Wear some Drakeblood, it increases your fashion by 100
>>
>>277943010
>spears except for a select few are all shit

I guess you missed the part where every single spear got a massive scaling and/or damage buff, I've tried them all and they're all viable
>>
>>277943102

Way of blue says hi.
>>
>>277943010
Whips are at least viable unlike the first game, and they made fist weapons do something. But I agree on shields.
>>
I'm hoping this holds me over until Bloodborne and a PS4 drops in price.
When a crack gets released for it at least.
>>
>>277943010
>>277943189
>Nobody believes in Partisan
>Its all muh Silverblack
Fucking Hexers using spears
>>
>>277943231
That covenant does do something even if it barely ever seems to work. I've got summon by WoBs
>>
>>277943102
The covenants in DaS2 were somehow more poorly made than they were in DaS1. That's really quite the accomplishment considering how many were just outright broken in DaS1.
>>
>>277943351
please don't post your shit games in souls thread anymore

thanks
>>
>>277943189
they're fragile is what I was getting at and the damage is weak compared to otherweapons that are faster, more versatile, or just plain higher DPS, such as halberds, which have similar range to spears but simply hit harder and are what spears should be competing with
>>
I'm playing Dark Souls on my 360 and pvp isn't fun at all. Everyone I match with ends up being a 2v1 and they fuck my shit up. What do
>>
The game is ruined by the characters inability to hold a shield properly.
>>
>>277943515
How so?
>>
>>277943673
the porcupine enemies in the ivory king DLC are my most hated enemies ever

massive damage, hard to block, they roll at you, and hitting them with anything other than a long UGS, spear, or halberd makes you take massive damage

I ended up using a greatshield and bow to kill them because they're an awful enemy with no real weakness
>>
>>277943630
Get out of the forest. Or just stop doing PVP, it's shit.
>>
>>277943630
>What do
Get good.

No I'm not trying to meme you here.

The best way to beat other people in this game

is to get better at playing the game.

There's no secret, there's no tricks.

Learn to dodge, block, parry and predict your opponents movements. Get better at the game.
>>
>>277943520

Can't even discuss this game without being labelled as a shill now, wow...
>>
>>277943446

>I got summoned once! So it does something

kek
>>
>>277944128
Yep that's what I said. More than you can say about the Princess Guard in 1, huh?
>>
>>277944020
yea everytime I say how one boss is shit and difficult or something stupid about it that I hate its just "gitgud" memes all over
>>
>>277943630

Where are you looking for PvP? If you're in the forest, you will get 2v1 and fucked up, if you're invading then you need to invade in certain areas, otherwise you'll get fucked up.
>>
>>277943739
SM ruins a majority of the interactions between covenants.
>>
>>277944190

Not saying DS1 covs are all useful, just disagreeing with you when you say all of DS2's are.
>>
>>277944213
In the forest. I can't darkwraith because I already placed the lordvessel and I've killed Dark Sun
>>
>>277943351
LotF is so good
>>
>>277944427

Then of course you're going to get ganked.
Not many "honour" duelists go there.
>>
>>277944390
It's still something you can benefit off of that's better than a ring slot dedicated to Miracle synergy and two spells you can find in The Duke's Archives. It is useful, how useful though? Not much. It's certainly not a waste for early game.
>>
File: Heavy_Rain_Cover_Art.jpg (14 KB, 288x345) Image search: [Google]
Heavy_Rain_Cover_Art.jpg
14 KB, 288x345
I bought the PS3 GTAV bundle when it first came out, and I'm looking to play something other than DaS2.

I have ps+ an i've picked up a few cheap games that I haven't played along the way, including pic relate. Is it worth playing?

>I don't enjoy playing on my computer anymore and I don't know why
>>
>>277944567
>"honour"
It's honor britfag
>>
>>277944571

Like I said, not saying DS1 cov's are all useful, so stop comparing them. Way of blue is useless as shit and getting up ranks in there is practically impossible, you'd be an idiot to think otherwise.
>>
>>277944717

Ha, no.
Savage.
Thread replies: 144
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.