[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT underrated masterpieces
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 44
File: 2244610-specopsfront.jpg (200 KB, 800x980) Image search: [Google]
2244610-specopsfront.jpg
200 KB, 800x980
ITT underrated masterpieces
>>
>pic unrelated
>>
I don't feel like a hero.
>>
>>275893056
>barely sold 900k units
>not underrated
meanwhile the CoD or Pokemon annual release sells 10m
>>
>>
The only thing decent about Spec Ops is the audiovisual presentation. The gameplay is copypaste modern shootan and the story is a shizophrenic clusterfuck that first forces you to kill in absolutely linear progression and then goes all NO JOHN YOU ARE THE DEMONS on you, with the devs acting super pretentious in interviews and saying that not playing the game is also a legit approach just as long as you still buy it.
>>
>>275893238
It's not underrated if it sold about as well as it deserved.
>>
>>275893238
>masterpiece
>>
>>275892979
>underrated
yes
>masterpiece
no
>>
>>275893390
it just questions the way games handle choise and violence. Its just a stanly parable that is not shit.

Ive read and analyzed this game quite a bit. It is easy to hate something you don't understand.
>>
>>275892979
Not even. Mediocre story that's been done many times before with much more skill. Awful gameplay that would get shit on if it wasn't seen as a 2deep5me game. Choices that aren't choices to force feels.

I give it a 4/10 tops.
>>
>274 replies and 4 images

Most of which are people not understanding the story.
>>
>>275893917
Okay, this is one of the pictures that require context. Ideally a sauce.
>>
>>275892979
more like ITT overrated garbage perpetuated by idiots
>>
I wouldn't call this a masterpiece, but it would be nice if they'd re-release it for PS3 or PS4 so more people could experience it.
>>
>>275894117
>pretending the story is so deep it can be misunderstood

It's shallow as all get out. I only ever see Spec Ops fanboys prattle on about how people don't "get it."
>>
>>275893916
What choice? To play or not to play? What's the point of making the damn game then? Fucking breaking the fourth wall like this and destroying the role playing facade is fucking retarded. I'm not gonna play or not play video games to validate my own morals but to have fun.
>>
>>275893298
Aw man I thought I was the only person to ever get this game.
Slim Jim for life.
>>
>game copies the gameplay of previous popular games to lure the players in and to make them ask questions about nature of violent games and video game as a storytelling medium
>THE GAMEPLAY WAS SHIT LOL THEY COPIED IT CONSTANTLY IT SUXXX

>zelda and mario games copy the same gameplay, world, etc
>ITS OK GOTYAY

Not demeaning nitendo games, but just saying there was a very clear and exact reason to the games unsucess: coming out a bit too late and targeting the people who are too stupid for it and had all ready lost interest.

Spe cops the line was a diamond in the rough, much like EYE, but way better in presentation, clarity and design. But sadly had a way too limited development time at the wrong time. Its a miracle this game got made and it was the last game I actually played through before losing faith. This was 3 years ago.

ive said what is my geniunie opinion after playing this through twice, reading lots of extra material and listening and talking to devs and this thread can now degenerate into mindless bashing and retarded yelling as it usually does.
>>
Overrated pretentious garbage.

>i-it's supposed to be linear and derivative i-it's commentary, o-or art even!!
>>
>>275894664
At least I'm still having fun instead of being a bitter overanalysing fag.
>>
>>275894634
I want to play it again, but PS2 is stuffed and it doesn't work on the emulator. I heard it works on Dolphin.
>>
>look at me shitting in the street, it's a deep commentary on how society is shit
>>
>>275892979

2/10 I replied
>>
I thought the marketters for this game left a while ago.

Is this a meme?
>>
>>275894924
>Implying starting a war about Spec Ops wasnt OP's intention.
Cmon anon, it's clear as day.
>>
>>275894534
it is completely clear at this point you are not having an objective or researched view since you focus on one point.

The game had many choices, many of them were not obvious at first glance. Like the crowd scene where you have an angry crowd throwing rocks at you. Most people shot them, killing innocents who were angry at you rightfully.
The game then asked if you feel like an hero.

You actually couldve just pushed one of them and the crowd would've dispersed ending with no casualties.

Most choices had such little hidden bits that you could do. I agree the WP scene was shit and really poorly designed from the "giving player a choice" aspect, but in my theory, seeing how other scenes were handled, they simply lacked development time and had to leave this unfinished piece in, just like they had to cut many levels which explained a lot of the characters.

Atleast the arch of the main character was in, featuring gamings first non psycopath main character, that changed as the game progressed reacting to the deaths and mistakes he made, further asking interesting questions about why other protagonists seem unaffected by the violence they do.

Game really wasn't deep, it was just simple things and most haters don't seem to get them. Which is easily explained in threads where /v/ discusses art - gamers, especially the "HARDCORE OLD ORIGINAL ONES" have just not experienced other artforms.

That said games strongest point is gameplay and that should be the main thing focused on in game development, otherwise you could just watch a movie or read a book.
>>
>there are people with so much shittase that doesn't like this game

/v/ no even once, regards from /tv/
>>
HUSH, HUSH, I THOUGHT I HEARD HER CALLING MY NAME NOW
HUSH, HUSH, SHE BROKE MY HEART BUT I LOVE HER JUST THE SAME NOW
>>
>>275895384
>You actually couldve just pushed one of them and the crowd would've dispersed ending with no casualties.
You could also shoot in the air.
>>
Gameplay was nothing special, I would say it's overrated.
>>
File: dark messiah.webm (3 MB, 350x197) Image search: [Google]
dark messiah.webm
3 MB, 350x197
>>275892979
Dark Messiah
>>
>>275895469
this is true. First time a game comes in and tries to do a commentary and everyone blames it for being pretentious art.

Were it a movie or a book board, /v/ would be regarded as the casuals, brogamers, people who are in it while not being mentally invested, discussing and criticizing only the most superficial aspects or trying to attribute too much meaning into things that have none.
>>
File: Dorner.jpg (248 KB, 634x632) Image search: [Google]
Dorner.jpg
248 KB, 634x632
>People in this thread that don't know the narrative was driven by it being a game
>People who think "THE GAME MADE ME FEEL BAD I DIDN'T HAVE A CHOICE!!!!1"
>Don't realize by making you feel bad the game was actually producing emotions.
>Did it better than MGS2 MGS2 had better gameplay, but the story was all over the place.
>These plebs are allowed to post here
>>
>>275895384
>choices
Except half the time even when the game gave you a choice, like at the overpass, the only other option would mean your own impeding death and reload from before the scene. It's basically just acting out the principle of "do you want to kill these people?" - "no" - "i ask again, do you want to kill these people?".
>>
File: swedish.png (110 KB, 453x567) Image search: [Google]
swedish.png
110 KB, 453x567
>>275895384
>featuring gamings first non psycopath main character
>>
>>275895384
>many choices
Uh where?
>haters don't get it
probably the best fanboy line from this game
>games strong point should be gameplay
which was awful in Spec Ops. Gears of Dubai
>>
>>275895898
>like at the overpass, the only other option would mean your own impeding death and reload from before the scene.
I'm pretty sure at the overpass you could take out the snipers. If we mean the same overpass. The one with the hung guys.
>>
File: 1399601712313.jpg (126 KB, 948x531) Image search: [Google]
1399601712313.jpg
126 KB, 948x531
>>275895384
I agree with this.

love you anon
>>
>>275895541
Thanks, I was trying to remember what was the third option there.
Point is, spec ops tried to get its point across using the features that are only available to you in games. Spec ops would have never worked as a book or a movie, it had to be a game. Even if it was not perfect we should not blame it or dismiss it because we could really use more games that actually try to do something other than just be "fun to play" There's just a massive power vaccuum in games that is the actual citizen kanes of gamings and such, and spec ops is the step in the right direction.
>>
>>275895852
This is what Spec Ops tards like to think, that it's some super meta philosophical story that tricked you into playing right into their hand/story. But it didn't, and it was awful to play to boot.
>>
>>275895765
It's the year of our lord 2014 and you still haven't realized that games still aren't even remotely similar to movies and books. Expecting social commentary from video games is like expecting expecting social commentary from Scrabble. Games aren't about fucking social commentary, they're about playful competition and sharpening your senses and logical thinking.
>>
>>275896085
I tried that and they just overran me so hard repeatedly that it made me think the game was meant to force my death.
>>
>>275896140
Step in the right direction? Sure.

Good game? Nope.

It's a shame because I feel like Six Days in Fallujah is the game Spec Ops wanted to be.
>>
File: 77f.gif (2 MB, 1030x1462) Image search: [Google]
77f.gif
2 MB, 1030x1462
>>275892979
>>
>>275896010
it is obvious you did not play the game or pay attention, and were in it to have a fun experience.
This game was not intended for you, it was meant to start discussion.

But bunch of examples have been brought out in this thread. There's no point though, you are not interested in learning anything, you are concrete in your opinon, you are here just to shitpost and troll.

IF you however are one of decent people hiding behind halfassed shitposting, there's a good dev interview on giantbomb spoilercast.
>>
There are plenty of great games that give the message to stop playing videogames. Spec Ops is not one of those.
>>
>>275895384
>You actually couldve just pushed one of them and the crowd would've dispersed ending with no casualties.
A good game would explain its ruleset to you and then let you make your most educated choice. Only a shitty pretentious game like Spec Ops would intentionally hide mechanics from you to claim giving a choice you could've never known about apart from random experimentation.
>>
>>275896182
I'm a specop tard and there is no superdeep story.

There are just simple additions that play off:
You are infront of a crowd of civillians and you have a gun, making most gamers automatically shoot the people without searching for other options.

You are presented with a choice of killing one to save the other, most do what they're told but dont shoot the snipers

etc

Sure the WP scene was shit but it is one poor bit in an otherwise very interesting game that shows something uniqe I've yet to see in any other games while not being pretentious or 2deep4u in its story.
>>
>>275896571
I shot in the air during my first try. That was just the most intuitive thing to do. Nothing hidden about it.

The question here is, when facing an unarmed crowd that may turn on you, what is your plan?
>>
File: 2127071-kaneandlynch2.jpg (61 KB, 685x451) Image search: [Google]
2127071-kaneandlynch2.jpg
61 KB, 685x451
>>
File: 1409282507757.jpg (141 KB, 635x683) Image search: [Google]
1409282507757.jpg
141 KB, 635x683
>>275896651
>shows something unique
and what would that be?
>>
>>275894260

Korean Zombie Desk-car.
>>
>>275896424
>you didn't get it
>you didn't pay attention

I've been in a lot of these threads to try to dig deeper and it always just ends up with Spec Ops Defense Force jumping down everyone's throats saying they just don't get it or didn't play it right.

The dev interview is pretty pretentious, like the rest of the game.
>>
File: 1342429748859.jpg (468 KB, 1491x667) Image search: [Google]
1342429748859.jpg
468 KB, 1491x667
>>275892979
nah
>>
>>275896571

yeah we definitely need more stuff like

PRESS X TO PUSH CROWD
>>
>>275896651
>You are infront of a crowd of civillians and you have a gun, making most gamers automatically shoot the people without searching for other options.
In case you don't realize it, that was the point.

You've been drilled.
>>
>>275896651
>making most gamers automatically shoot the people without searching for other options.
what the fuck, is this true? cuz I shoot the niggers
>>
>>275896204
I think it is ignorant to think games can't express anything more other than simple puzzles or mechanical tasks.

Paintings manage to do social commentary and evoke serious discussions despite being 1 frame of 2d image. Why can't games that have hundreds of frames (or 20 if you prefer playing from your couch) per second flash before your eyes do something that offers also some food for discussion? There's no reason they can't do both, like paintings can appeal to the eye by being beautiful but also make a commentary? Same for movies: that's why transformers its shit: its just action and nothing interesting while movies like the enemy is visually interesting but also have an added layer for the viewer to figure out.

I think gameplay is the most important bit but that doesn't mean we should limit ourselves to tetris clones.
>>
>>275896835
Oh, that piece of shit. Apparently I successfully banished it from my memory.
>>
>>275896781
>mfw me and my bro finished this game in sitting
good mindless shooter
>>
>>275896854
>i'm so stupid i need others to formulate opinions for me!
>>
>>275896858
Unlike real life, video games work on a limited set of preprogrammed mechanics. Apart from blind trial, how am I supposed to know that a game even posesses a 'push crowd' mechanics unless it tells me about it? That's what I meant by understandable rulesets. I'm not a fucking psychic.
>>
File: agitated alejandro.gif (1 MB, 350x197) Image search: [Google]
agitated alejandro.gif
1 MB, 350x197
>>275896781
>>
>>275896571
It did explain it, most people just shot at them because shooting people is the way you are used to solving problems.

It did not introduce anything new in that scene: you had a choice of shooting at people, shooting at crowd or pushing people, you didn't have a new mechanic added that no one mentioned. This was in there since the very beginning.

I love seeing how majority hates on bioshit for stripping you of control and giving you a binary choice but when a game tries to show that you can do it differently it bashes it for not giving you a binary choice. Spec ops seems to be a game that came out at the wrong time, people simply don't seem to understand it or allocate wayy too much complexity to it.
>>
>>275897154

why dont you try figuring it out on your own? several other people did. that's how every game was before they started designing them for the retarded public
>>
It belongs in the garbage can.
>>
>>275897154
It has a punch button. You know that one, don't you?
>>
>>275897231
I can't remember the game ever telling me I can push the crowd or that shooting in the air would trigger anything.
>>
>>275897514
It's an unarmed crowd. Do a warning shot. It was literally the first thing I tried.
>>
>>275897231
>most people just shot at them because shooting people is the way you are used to solving problems

So this game was to teach Cowadooty babbies that there is more than one option? Because the rest of humanity already understood that.
>>
I never thought about meleeing the crowd since the motherfucker was doing some gears of war kind of executions at that point.
>>
>every single criticsism
>you just don't get it, the game wasn't meant for you!
>haters don't get it

>The game had many choices, many of them were not obvious at first glance.
Except that taking these choices did not change a single thing in the storyline. The game still treats you like you chose to shoot all those civilians.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFNGxmmtQME
>>
>>275896843
How si this game pretentious, How is it trying to be something it isn't

It's literally like malevitches black square or mondarians compositions

Everyone who is unaware claiming they are pretentious and 2deep4u while they were simple things with not much meaning behind them.

Spec ops is simple, it's a simple story and simple gameplay to make you ask questions about the violent nature of other games and making the player a hero in a black and white world.

Quite frankly there is no reason to keep going. Most people who hate this game take it wayy to seriously or are simply too stupid or narrowminded to understand how "depth" and where the "art" comes from in every other medium.

Spec ops tried to do what books and movies have been doing for decades and centuries and it seems like public just wasn't ready for it or it came out too late.

It is true it's an uncompleted game and others find it shitty (I quite enjoyed some aspects of it) but it makes you think in a way the real artforms do and this is rare.

But perhaps you all are smarter than you seem and are just trying to fight the good fight in keeping games from being art.
>>
>>275897659
People are making this game a lot deeper than it is. All people realize you do not just have to kill people, and when that fails people are like oh shit no it was commentary on how programmed we are in playing video games. In reality this is just a retelling of heart of darkness, and not some crazy social commentary.
>>
>>275897154
I'm guessing you never played a single game from any generation before cod.
>>
>>275897613
>not shoot them
nigga its a game not real life
>>
>>275897948
It's pretentious in it's presentation. It presents this big deep dark story that's supposed to thrash you emotionally but all that steam is lost by awful gameplay, lack of real choices or consequences, and hit you with "hard" questions.

I appreciate games trying to be art but this one falls flat on it's face in it's own mire of artsy "you could have just turned the game off at any time" excuses.
>>
>>275897948
I personally play games for fun. I think it is dumb to try and make a game like a movie. i do not want to pay $60 for a game that has a story I can only experience once when I can go to a theater and pay $10 and get a better experience.

If the game play isn't fun I have no reason to play the game a second time, and acting like this is a great game because it is a poor game with a mediocre story is just moronic.
>>
>>275897948
>Spec ops tried to do what books and movies have been doing for decades and centuries and it seems like public just wasn't ready for it or it came out too late.

Fuck you. Games have been doing this shit since almost the beginning. Most of yours and most people defense of this game is that it is in any way, shape, or form unique while it has been done before without the clunky storytelling in Spec Ops. Seriously, play more games before spouting that kind of thing.
>>
>>275898306
>hurr we want more realism in the games
>but it's a game just shoot all the things
>>
>>275897514
And yet somehow people managed to complete games before they were being designed for complete retards.

Do you complain that hitman isn't a stealth game because you try to run through it and shoot everything because you have a gun?

Do you roll a wizard and hit everything with a stuck because that's how warrior class works?

These are bad examples but I'm sure if you think for a second you can see how stupid your argument was.
>>
File: Eternal_Darkness.jpg (73 KB, 334x468) Image search: [Google]
Eternal_Darkness.jpg
73 KB, 334x468
>>275892979
>Eternal Darkness

That game above all else deserves a sequel.
>>
>>275897948

>Spec ops tried to do what books and movies have been doing for decades and centuries and it seems like public just wasn't ready for it or it came out too late.

Did you start playing vidya with 360/PS3?
>>
>>275894502
Generic anime girl with no h involved?
There's already a million of those on PC. This was not underrated nor a masterpiece it's average garbage.
>>
>>275898474
And I say to you: seriously UNDERSTAND why steppenwolf and citizen kane are GOAT
>>
>some niggers make a deconstruction of military shooters
>guahhh guahh I dont like it :((((
>some niggers make the annual CoD
>lol this new cod is so fun xd F for respects brouh xdddd

this is what /v/ has become
>>
>>275898636
I've played buncha shit but I don't recall anything else getting as close as spec ops. Pathologic maybe but it did it completely differently, and had an overall better approach but it is not as accessable as spec ops.
>>
>>275898797
>some niggers make a deconstruction of military shooters really badly and with an awful budget
>guahh guahh I dont like it :((((
>some niggers make the annual CoD
>no one on /v/ likes it, how fucking new are you?

Fix'd for you m8
>>
>>275898636
I've played buncha shit but I don't recall anything else getting as close as spec ops. Pathologic maybe but it did it completely differently, and had an overall better approach but it is not as accessable as spec ops.

I'm fine with having games like dorf or quake or whatever but we shouldn't just completely hate on spec ops because it isn't another zelda, especially when most of the counterarguments are extremely hypocritical.

Doesn't matter what you say now. In 10 years I know I will be right.
>>
>>275898791
What? Don't throw out random vague non-arguments, man. Steppenwolf and Citizen Kane are great uses of the medium they're in. Spec Ops isn't even remotely that. I don't dislike it because of what it's attempting to do, I dislike it because it fails miserably and becomes a frustratingly clunky gameplay experience because of it.
>>
>>275898797
>implying /v/ wasn't like this in the first place
>>
>>275898994
I dunno about you but I see an alarming rate of "TITAN FALL WAS OKAY AND DEFINETLY AN ARENA SHOOTER"
"FC3 IS PRETTY FUN BRO"
"COD AW IS SUPERFAST AND FUN"

Newsflash, there is a lot of retards on /v/
>>
>>275898909
MGS2 presented the same idea better while also having gameplay that isn't fucking horrible
>>
>>275899019
Question to a fan: How did you get past all the terrible Gears of War gameplay and awful brown and bloom that typically gets shit on here 99% of the time? Seems like it'd really detract from all that art.
>>
>>275892979
why does /v/ hate Spec ops? It had pretty solid gameplay, a great story, and an amazing message and setting. What's not to hate?
>>
>>275899135
You said /v/ loves CoD but it's probably the biggest anti-CoD place to talk about games on the entire internet, save a few competitive FPS scenes.
>>
Marvel Ultimate Alliance had better choices.
I could never decide to save Nightcrawler or Phoenix. I literally had to stop playing the game for 2 years sitting in a blank room shaking myself because I couldn't handle killing somebody.
>>
>>275898597
not really underated as everyone who plays it loves it.
>>
File: pacmanshrug.png (3 KB, 84x84) Image search: [Google]
pacmanshrug.png
3 KB, 84x84
>>275899305
It has an overdone message, a great story terribly told, fucking horrible gameplay. The setting is great, definitely.
>>
File: Liberation of Ustio.jpg (349 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Liberation of Ustio.jpg
349 KB, 1024x768
Ace Combat Zero
>>
>>275899305
>solid gameplay

Really? Chest high cover, peashooter guns, gameplay blander than Gears of War?

I don't know where they find you guys but it's interesting to see retards in action.
>>
>>275899305
game play was really boring, and the story is very full of cliches and has been done to death.
>>
File: darknis.jpg (207 KB, 1280x734) Image search: [Google]
darknis.jpg
207 KB, 1280x734
Answering OPs quest

I think Darkness 2 was really good. I didn't expect to like it, but I played through the whole thing and had a good amount of fun. They did 1st person cinematics pretty good, or at least how I'd like them handled, and you definitely feel powerful in fights.

There was a gallery of spooky occult shit, that you could check out and have narrated when you found the collectibles in the game.

Maybe not masterpiece, but definitely off the rader
>>
>>275899473
>Chest high cover, peashooter guns,
The guns sounded pretty gewd
>>
>>275899305
>a great story, and an amazing message
HAHAHAHA
>>
>>275899079
Spec ops uses the gameplay to get its point across extremely well

Eg the overpass scene, the crowd scene, the final choice, the combination of attacks and the mental detoriation of the character throghout the game.

It would not make much sense for the game to have a "GOODY GOOD ENDING YOU DID EVERYTHING RIGHT I GUESS YOU ARE NOT BAD AFTER ALL, WALKER" because then it would lose it's point. They couldve arguably implemented it by making all good endings result in death or whatever, but it is none the less an interesting experiment

I place it in the same category as E.Y.E. and pathologic and such - games done with passion and love but had bad development cycles.

It is a diamond in the rough. There is not much really to discuss to warrant spec ops generals but It is still sad to see how threads about it just boil down to people trying to discuss it and others just barging in to ruin a perfectly good discussion with their memeposting. It is or should not be bannable by any means but I'm just saying, no matter how I dislike a game I don't barge into their threads to shit on them.

Except if its fc3- Fuck fc3 and fuck everyone who likes it.
>>
>>275899628
Nice argument faggot
>>
>>275899305
CoD babbies

yes, there's even a IGN article that claims why Spec Ops will never be good as MW2
>>
>>275899019

>he's never played MGS or Deus Ex
>>
>>275899778
Yeah, it's terrible how apples will never be as good as rice.
>>
Tps is my,favorite genre but OP's pic related has been sitting on my shelf unfinished for over a year because the gameplay is just so fucking meh.
>>
>>275899710
>implying I need an argument to post opinion as response to another opinion
>>
>>275899173
Since I deliberately had no interest in the games where it copied its gameplay, I didn't mind. I just went for headshots and cleared it quite easy despite highest difficulty. The visuals were memorable and great, it is evident a lot of love went into all the small details and the dubai under a sandsea. Some bits were forgettable, eg most of the indoor fighting and such but it had great bits.

Soundtrack was GOAT.
>>
>>275899778
Because IGN is a bunch of cocksucking babbies that gets buttfucked by AAA companies
>>
>>275899173
>>275899473
few too many implications that Gears of War isn't fun as fuck in this thread
>>
>>275899945
It wasnt an opinon, it was a question and nobody cares about your stupid ass opinon you shitstain, unless you have some interesting points and facts to back up why you have said opinion. Thanks for bringing down the quality of the board once again, you flatbrained faglord.
>>
>>275899305
Mostly yurofucks shitposting
And by yurofucks I mean Muslims in britain
>>
>>275899950
So, it's easy, it shares gameplay with some of the most bland TPS of all time, and lots of it was forgettable? This doesn't seem like a recommendation.

I mean, I'm glad some people enjoyed it but these threads have been going on over a year with people saying "You guys just didn't understand the story!". Not my cup of tea and Specfags love to be really fucking preachy and pretentious about art.
>>
>>275900149
>complaining about eroding board quality
>in a shit ops 2meta4me icryeverytim faggot circlejerk
talk about irony
>>
>>275900087
I don't mind it but every other game that follows the Gears formula gets shit on, I don't see why this game gets a pass because MUH FORCED FEELS AND 2DEEP5ME
>>
The only good thing about spec ops is how polarizing it is for /v/goers.
>>
>>275900169
I've seen people slowly gaining to like spec ops over the years now. I guess most of the beyersremorse is fading since people wanted another genericest of generic game and were dissapointed.

I just get involved in these threads because I want to find some people to discuss this game as it is a flawed gem, but there's just so much mindless hate on it for the silliest of reasons.
It's just a misunderstood game that is mediocre.

E.y.e. was a shit game with lots of appeal and love and somehow it gets discussed just fine. same with stalker.
>>
>>275892979

Army of Two: The Devils Cartel > SpecOps: The Lines.
>>
>>275899915
using the ambient to kill enemies like sand and tactics with the two bros is pretty fun
>>
>>275899305

Americans. The game criticizes modern military shooters and the like, and by extension criticizes the American misadventures that continue to this day.
>>
>>275893238
>Masterpiece

HURR WAR IZ BAD GUISE
>>
File: talos.jpg (44 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
talos.jpg
44 KB, 460x215
>>275892979
The Talos Principle. It's a great puzzle game ala Portal by Croteam(Serious Sam) with superb gameplay, nice graphics, awesome sound/music and a decent story(although some people think it's a bit 2deep4u fedora-ish). The length of the game is also good. I have ~20 hours in the game and I still haven't completed it 100% yet, still working on the bonus stars after I completed the story.

It's getting really good reviews all over and they are definitely well deserved, but somehow it has managed to slip completely under the radar of the mainstream. It's really sad, because it's really good.

I think it's even a contender for one of my personal GOTY which includes South Park: The Stick of Truth, Dark Souls II, Divinity: Original Sin, The Evil Within, Lords of the Fallen and Metal Gear Solid V(assuming it doesn't get delayed and isn't shit).
>>
>>275895384
> I agree the WP scene was shit and really poorly designed from the "giving player a choice" aspect
But it wasn't a choice. Walker already made the decision to burn everyone litteraly second before the scene. Walker is not the player and as such you cannot completly control him. As the credit at the beginning said you're just a guest.
>>
>>275900502
I've only played 40th day with a friend and that game actually made me feel bad due to the choices presented. Also it played better.
>>
>>275900273
>shitposts and contributes nothing in any meaningful way
>blames others

Enjoy your fucking basement until you an hero with helium since you're too pussy to do anything.
>>
>>275892979
>>
>inb4 shit games and opinions
fuck, too late
>>
>>275900673
>helium
>not using best inert argon
pleb
>>
>>275896085
Hanging guys are instadead if you engage the snipers, IIRC. Nochoice4u.
>>
>>275892979
Finished this a week ago for the first time, definitely a fun game. Loved the setting of Dubai, they made it work really well. Nothing about the game is particularly unique though, definitely underrated but not a masterpiece by any means.
>>
>>275900637
Okay. I just have a more liberal view of the game. Some people just read far too much into it. Atleast there is something to read into if you want to.
>>
File: 1416290952851.gif (1 MB, 320x232) Image search: [Google]
1416290952851.gif
1 MB, 320x232
>>275896980
This. So much this.
>>
>>275900467
>E.y.e. was a shit game with lots of appeal
that's because it was fun, and what more could you possibly talk about in regards to this game, you seem to think you have it all figured out so what could your gain from more discussion
>>
>>275892979
>U COULD OF JUST QUIT THE GAME XD
>i cry everytiem ;_;
>3deep5u
>u just dond get it -_-* smh
>>
>>275900532
Haha really? You know most Americans are very critical about our military right? Where do you think these SJW's and armchair warriors are coming from? It's from us. I live in the south and while we respect the troops more down here, no one wants to be in wars.
>>
>>275900907
holy fuck this is sad
>>
>>275899446
This, buddy
>>
>>275900901
Others peoples views on it is what I gots to gain from discussion. Not the experiences they had in game but what they made of the game.

Spec ops was fun as well
>dat running and gunning while glasgow mega snake plays

Eye is just different and focuses on the gameplay and is a jumbled mess of good ideas, spec ops focuses on narrative through gameplay and is a jumbled mess of good ideas. They are brothers, it's okay if you don't like one but just don't shit up other peoples discussions.
>>
>>275900935

Those aren't the people playing modern military shooters. The people who play those games are guys who think "we should nuke the middle east" and "torture is a-ok".
>>
File: Freedom_Fighters.jpg (58 KB, 310x440) Image search: [Google]
Freedom_Fighters.jpg
58 KB, 310x440
>>
>>275900532
People complain about Americans being ignorant of other cultures, but honestly how can you be this stupid. Pretty much ever since Vietnam there has not been a war that American are happy to be in.
>>
>>275901095
Not him, but that's what the arguements boil down too
>>
>>275901221
It's not hard to see why they would want to nuke mid east seeing what picture the media paints of the area.
>>
I dunno, I loved the game for the story it gave : the descent into madness of a soldier trying to make things right. I didn't take it for more than what it was and had fun.
>>
>>275900907
You are a faggot
>>
File: September11.jpg (125 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
September11.jpg
125 KB, 1024x768
>>275901247
>>
>>275901224
underrated post
>>
>>275900671

Devils Cartel had a mini Mass Effect 3 backlash from fans of the series because of things in the story but I dont give a shit because the gunplay and gun feel is hands down the best in the business for a TPS
>>
>>275900887
Well to be fair, I think there is quite a bit of symbolism and detail put into the game. But I donkt think it convey a deep message. I like playing the game for it's visual though.
>>
File: 1376777821705.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1376777821705.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>275894634
Ive got it sitting right beside me anon, along with mx unleashed and shaun palmers pro snowboarder

why are extreme sports games dying ?
>>
>>275901095
it's an accurate description of an average spec ops circlejerk
>>
>>275901396
This is the right approach. Reading too much into it ends with 2deep4u discussion, while this is the right amount.

There is something very enjoyable in a story where protag just makes mistakes and has to deal with it. Going insane was this games way to deal with it and it is overall a very interesting concept to explore. I'm glad there's one game that explored it and did it in such a way.
>>
>>275900532
Fucking yurofucks
>>275900532
See
>>275900169
Since it's obviously the only right response in this thread
>>
>>275900935
I don't think you understand the difference between european and american sentiments there.

Imagine your air force does an air strike that kills a bunch of civilians stealing gas from a broken down supply truck. Just another day at the office, right?

In germany, that costs the federal minister of defense, his deputy in the department, and the chief of staff their job in a pretty hard shitstorm.
>>
>>275901190
>spec ops was fun as well
it was a generic TPS

>don't shit up other peoples discussions
except this thread isn't for discussing spec-ops, it's for underrated masterpieces, if you want to hear other peoples opinions on the game create you're own thread
>>
>>275901523
Yeah, same as half life.

I think it's best to avoid the deeper parts of spec ops because the game was not completed. a lot of content was cut because publishers forced them to make multiplayer while complying with a strict deadline. Hard to read into something if you don't have all the pieces.
>>
I'm a retard when it comes to stories. All I remember from Spec Ops is that it had fucking awful gameplay, some cool visuals during the hallucinations at the end, and TECHNOLOGY when I shot in the air to disperse the crowd.

What else is there to the story besides how the main character was a schizophrenic cunt the whole game? The whole "DO YOU FEEL LIKE A HERO YET" did nothing for me.
>>
File: 1416642460687.gif (379 KB, 500x275) Image search: [Google]
1416642460687.gif
379 KB, 500x275
>>275901524
They are just not cool anymore
>>
>>275901629
Except this thread is for discussing underrated masterpieces, and while not a masterpiece, spec ops is a diamond in the ruff and grossly underrated.
>>
>>275901798
it's basically
>yeah lets go in to find the guys
>we found the guys, mission complete
>BUT LETS DIG DEEPER
>oh shit made a mistake
>lets fix it
>oh shit that made things worse
>stop shooting at me that way you just make me WP, sempai etc
>>
>>275899581
This. I legitimately felt like an embodiment of all the evil in the world when I'm mowing motherfuckers down with two sub machine guns while dismembering one and eating another's heart.

I'd like a sequel where we shoot ourselves out of hell, fight back against The Angelus/Heaven, rid ourselves of the Darkness, and rescue Jennie's soul.

Too bad it'll probably never happen.
>>
>>275900673
dat anal pain
>>
>>275893390
>The only decent thing about Spec Ops is the audiovisual presentation
I wouldn't say so. The pacing is superb, with every level feeling needed to tell the story. Not only that but Dubai is actually fleshed out with a lot of interesting backstories and lore hidden in Intel; and that's neglecting to mention the brilliantly written dialogue which is a cut above most games.

Say what you will about the White Phosphorus scene; Spec Ops was GOTY 2012.
>>
>>275902028
Yeah. You know what mechanic I'd have liked?

One that allows you to turn around and walk out once you've found the first guys. Like you were supposed to.
>>
File: john.png (219 KB, 478x470) Image search: [Google]
john.png
219 KB, 478x470
>>275893298
FUCKING THIS
>>
>>275899305
It's hamfisted and clumsy. Also the ending is M.Night Shamalama levels of predictable stupidity.

>Press X to kick puppy
>I don't want to
>Press X to kick puppy
>Why would I do that? Why would my character do tha?
>Press X or you can't play the game you paid money for, fuckwit
>Fine!
>OH MY GOD YOU BASTARD YOU KICKED THE PUPPY HOW COULD YOU?
>>
>>275899135
I like Titanfalls new Frontier Defense.
>>
File: 1415914161235.jpg (1 MB, 5225x3900) Image search: [Google]
1415914161235.jpg
1 MB, 5225x3900
>>275900467
>EYE
>shit
>>
>>275902135

It's there... it's called the quit button
>>
>>275901896
We are diamond dogs.
>>
>>275897154
Okay, now come the fuck on. I never even played Spec Ops and don't plan to participate in these debates of shitflinging, but I really don't think that is your actual opinion, and you are just saying it out of stubbornness to find another "flaw" with Spec Ops.

Unless it is actually your opinion. In which case you are literally the cancer killing video games.
>>
>>275902238
No, that's not the quit button. The quit button doesn't mean you walk out. It means you stop right there. You don't walk out, you don't report back, you don't call in reinforcements to evacuate the city properly.
>>
>>275899305
>Generic 3rd person shooter with mediocre controls
>Story literally boils down to YOU DIDNT HAVE TO PLAY THE GAME YOU PAID $60 FOR
>Multiple sequences contradict themselves (such as the war camp/refugee camp)
>U WER THE BAD GUY ALL ALONG OMG SO DEEP NEVER DONE BEFORE 14/10
>>
>>275901896
>while not a masterpiece
so by you're own admission it doesn't qualify to be in this thread nor discussed
>and grossly underrated
its not underrated, people just aren't interest in it, and the ones who are interested overrate it
>>
>>275897514
My first playthrough, I shot the ground first.
Not saying it's a good game but it wasn't hard.
>>
it seems like /v/ enjoys hating things
>>
>>275902238
>Make game with such a shit story that people stop playing
>"THAT WAS TOTALLY THE PLAN!"

No. I stopped playing because I realized that it was going to be a terrible shooter that would pause every 20 seconds to make me step on a kitten or something else obviously bad and totally avoidable.

That is not to the game's credit.
>>
>>275902135
I agree. I'm an avid defender of the game whenver there is the time, but it would NOT HAVE HURT AT FUCKING ALL to put in an non-obvious choice to just walk out and it displays "WELL FUCKING DONE YOU AMERICAN HERO"

I guess they were planning to so they resorted to "just turn it off lel", to which they had lots of basis to from the playtesters who told them they can not continue playing this game cause it makes them feel bad.

Just a little good choice, like choosing to not wp the civvies and pushing through and dying but doing the bad choice, the choice MC would've done wouldve allowed you to stay alive to continue the story.

All in all you can argue you have no choice because you are playing as a character, not yourself, and it is a roleplay, like in DND you don't do what you would do but what your char would do.

While an interesting concept on its own, it would be wayyy to much for spec ops to have it in, as it allready had many ideas.

A good painting has one good idea presented well, bad one has many good ideas and that alone drags it down.
>>
>>275902575
Hating is one thing we are very, very good at.

Good games don't get talked about here.
>>
File: 1417372771049.png (45 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1417372771049.png
45 KB, 225x225
>>275902575
Didn't you heard the phrase "/v/ will argue about anything"
>>
>>275902870
except for porn.
>>
>>275896781
>>
>>275895640
/thread
>>
>>275892979
>Bad gameplay
>LOLUWERETHEBADGUYSTHINKABOUTITYOUCOULDAPUTTHEGAMEDOWNXD

A masterpiece is more then 1 or 2 shit twists. Having ironically bad gameplay to be like a military shooter is not a masterpiece. Being bad for the sake of being bad is not a good thing.
>>
>>275892979
The absolute worst part of the game is the WP

>Come across literal armed camp
>APCs, dozens of soldiers, mounted guns etc
>No indication of any kind there are any civilians there
>Options are try to shoot through and definetley die
>Or use the WP to clear the way
>Clear the way with WP
>OMG YOUR A MONSTER, YOU BURNED ALL THESE CIVILIANS HIDDEN UNDER A BRIDGE ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE CAMP YOU PROBABLY DIDN'T EVEN FIRE AT
>>
>>275900839
That still was a choice between doing what "Konrad" told you to do and disobeying him
The hanging guys aren't alive from the beginning anyway, they're just hallucinations
>>
File: 5x5Janitor.jpg (53 KB, 1183x778) Image search: [Google]
5x5Janitor.jpg
53 KB, 1183x778
>>275895852
>People actually felt bad for doing stupid, contrived shit that made no sense and was obviously going to end badly.

Press X to kill babies.
>>
>>275895384
>I agree the WP scene was shit and really poorly designed from the "giving player a choice" aspect
This was because of developmental limitations and executive meddling. Originally, the plan was for it to be possible, but very difficult, to fight through the waves of soldiers with ordinary bullets.
>>
>>275903082
you just dont understand.

It's one of the games you need to have the correct opinion.
It's like there was to be another series exploring aperture science in the 50's with a secret puzzle mechanic valve was excited about, but playtesters said "BAWW WE WANT MORE SCHELL AND LOL SO FUNNY CAKE" so they scrapped it and made portal two.

It's just expectations that ruins specops for many people. It is a very niche game just like dorf or something. Alot of people get into dorf because they want to have fun building a forteress but the ui and complexity puts them off.
>>
>>275903132
the thing is, these "bad" soldiers were actually helping these people.
>>
>>275903289
>Hurr it was a hallucination

That didn't make sense either. You have two presumably sane guys following you around. NEITHER of them decide to mention that. At all. In any way.

You think they might bring attention to certain things like that.

You know.

"Hey dude, you've been talking to fucking nobody on the radio, are you ok?"

"Why did you try to save that rotting corpse?"

But no. They seem to want to play along more than anything.
>>
>>275899893
I'm not him, but I've played both MGS and Deus Ex and I'd say it would be unfair to compare those three due to the fact that they all have different messages to deliver.
The end messages of these games in a nutshell are:
>MGS2
"There is no objective truth, you can shape your own reality."
>Deus Ex
"Advancing technology to the point were it overtakes us has it's pros and cons."
>Spec Ops
"Why the fuck are you tolerant of games with COD-tier design?"

Comparing them would be like comparing GTA with Final Fantasy.
>>
>>275903330
Where you read that from, I'm always interested in more backstory of specops development
>>
>>275903450
>you just dont understand
Is this every Specfags defense?

>niche game like dorf
I want some of what you're smoking. I'm not convinced you know what niche means.
>>
>>275903537
They actually do that. They question you and there is infighting and they look at you funny but you are their superior and they trust you.
>>
File: Badass_heat.jpg (428 KB, 1460x2196) Image search: [Google]
Badass_heat.jpg
428 KB, 1460x2196
Both of the Digital Devil Saga games.
>>
>>275903450
>You just don't understand
>You need to have the correct opinion

I am speechless.
>>
>>275903450
>Have to have the correct opinion
Top kek anon i hope you're being ironic because that is the most hugbox retarded drone shit i've ever read in my life.
>Portal 1
>Anything special
If you're implying portal 1 was also a masterpiece with that portal 2 shit i feel extra bad for you. But atleast portal 1 was a solid game unlike Spec ops the straight line.
>>
I really enjoyed it, but the combat felt so stiff.

>shoot someone
>they don't even flinch
>>
>>275903715
Niche means it is not for general consumers.

And really, "you don't understand" is a valid defence because it's not like you do some research, come back, slam down the facts and Yell "NO YOU DONT UNDERSTAND YOU LOVE A SHIT GAME"
Yet nobody but spec ops fans come up with facts and good arguments while haters are just "lel gameplay" or "lel specups defence force is here again"

You could really sway most peoples opinion if you tried. The closest anyone has come to swaying my opinion to dislike spec ops was when I read someones post that was pro spec ops but tried to convince me it was 2deep4u.
>>
>>275903557

The Wikipedia entry sums it up nicely: the Spec Ops series (several games in the 90s and 2000s) has always been troubled with poor reviews and little media attention. However, an entirely different developer created the multiplayer portion of the game, which the guys at 2K despised, since the multiplayer matches undermined the messages and themes of the 1P experience. 2K were budget-fucked throughout development, basically.
>>
>>275903764
They treat you like you're crazy, but that could just be because you're gleefully murdering people wherever you go.

They never specifically ask "Oh, hey, dude, why were you just yelling at that radio for no reason?" or "What the fuck those are some corpses, why are you talking to your radio about them?"

Which is what any normal human being would do if their friend and/or co-worker started going bonkers. Maybe try to get him some water, they are in a fucking desert after all.
>>
>>275903537
>Hurr the plot could have be solved in two minutes thanks to my amazing writing skills
First of all, this would have been a very boring game.
Second, you are their superior. They question your choices (at the hanging guys they tell you they don't have time for that, and that you should just walk), but they can't give you the "Dude" or "Are you crazy?", and they won't question the commanding abilities of the one guy that kept them alive in a city where everyone and everything wants to kill them
>>
>>275904040
Dorf is niche, this is just a normal ass game. Another TPS military shooter with some 2deep4you sprinkled on top. There are tons of games in this genre.

>you don't understand
>you need the right opinion
Well, have fun spinning your wheels with that one lol
>>
>>275892979
>>
People who think the story in this game was well told need to watch Three Kings (the game Battlefield: Bad Company ripped off).
>>
can someone explain me this game?
>>
>>275904040
>Casual gameplay
>A twist literally anybody unless they're a complete sociopath can understand

Wow so niche friend right up there with fighting games , action games , jrpgs that aren't square and survival horror. Spec ops is so niche how could i think otherwise with its learning curves , deep plot and smart level design.
>>
File: Violent Tentacle Porn.jpg (103 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
Violent Tentacle Porn.jpg
103 KB, 800x450
>>275899581
>>275902037
Both it and the first game are truly underrated.
The Darkness 2 might just be the most fun single player FPS in years (to the point that the only achivement I've yet to unlock is finishing it on Don difficulty), and the first one has one of the most emotionally gripping narratives in video game history (and can be found in bargain bins for your dusty PS3/360).

Such a shame there isn't likely to be a third one or a competent movie adaption
>>
>>275903958
>>275903843
opinion was the wrong word, a mistake I wrote down because I was propably concentrating on some other bit.
I meant expectations as in "you should have no expectations" get into it without thinking what you are in for.

Portal 1 was a great game, there is nothing wrong with it. Portal 2 was a bit more flawed but there is nothing wrong with it.

I wouldn't mind if people called portal 1 a masterpiece but I wasn't calling portal 1 one. I was simply providing an example of a similiar thing happening elsewhere in games. If you honestly are so fucking retarded you lack the minisculest of critical thinking without having a knee jerk reflex I have no reason seeing why you mindlessly hate games like this. You propably heard some opinion and you are just parroting it instead of forming your own anyway. Its fine, we all do it sometimes.
>>
>>275893298
>Me and my girl, got this relationship....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayE6Shlv598
>>
>>275904261
You're not exactly a very good commander, and you'd think they'd be a little more concerned that you have fucking heat stroke or something.

Also, during the dead body scene, why do "Konrad's" snipers wait around while you crazytalk to yourself?
>>
>>275904437
You're a soldier. There are some choices that aren't choices at all. You go off the deep end and kill innocent people. You're supposed to feel bad about it.
>>
>>275904437
3rd person shooter.
You and two buddies, special forces, get sent to a dubai that is hidden behind perpetual sandstorms because catastrophe and there's american soldiers there who initially were there to evacuate the city and refused to leave when things got too bad.
You're supposed to look for survivors, but not be seen. You find survivors but instead of reporting back, head further into the city to find out more.

It all goes to hell from there and you essentially kill everyone, and then you're supposed to feel terrible about it.
>>
>>275904437
A bunch of terrible writers pontificated for 8 hours and slap mediocre gameplay onto it and call it a game.
>>
>>275904040
why do you need to do research when the game is supposed to deliver the message to you while your playing, if you need to do additional research after you completed the game then it failed miserably at delivering it's message that you praise so much
>>
>>275904335
Really? Not apocalypse now, another retelling of heart of darkness but a third movie that has nothing to do with it and is a movie that "ripped off" kellys heroes
>>
>>275892979
How can it be a masterpiece if you are not supossed to be playing it?
>>
>>275904558
You kill hundreds of guys by yourself "because it's right" and keep your two grunts alive, so yeah you're a pretty good commander, or at least a charismatic/convincing one

As for the snipers, either it's a hallucination too (and you're not REALLY supposed to die to them), or it's a plothole, or they think they are being stealthy
>>
>>275904495
How can the game be a masterpiece if its only a "masterpiece" when i expect nothing of it? That is retarded and means i might only think a game is better then it is because i expected nothing from it.
>>
>>275896296
>>275900839
>Couldn't take out the snipers
How fucking casual are you? There are three options during the overpass; engaging and taking out the snipers is one of them.
>>
Not a masterpiece but Severance Blade of Darkness has gone completely unnoticed by everyone except some slavs. You'd think with the Souls games it would get more attention but nope, no one gives a shit.
>>
I never played the game so I got the best ending of them all. Checkmate devs, I won't be so easily rused :^)
>>
>>275904791
That's a definite must, but that's a classic that a lot of people already know about. I really just want people to check out David O. Russell's magnum opus.
>>
>>275904040
>but spec ops fans come up with opinions and arguments that i agree with

FTFY
>>
>>275904437
Spoilers ahead
John Stalvern waited. The lights above him blinked and sparked out of the air. There were demons in the base. He didn't see them, but had expected them now for years. His warnings to Cernel Joson were not listenend to and now it was too late. Far too late for now, anyway.
John was a Space Marine for fourteen years. When he was young he watched the spaceships and he said to dad "I want to be on the ships daddy."
Dad said "No! You will BE KILL BY DEMONS"
There was a time when he believed him. Then as he got oldered he stopped. But now in the space station base of the UAC he knew there were demons.
"This is Joson" the radio crackered. "You must fight the demons!"
So John gotted his plasma rifle and blew up the wall.
"HE IS GOING TO KILL US" said the demons
"I will shoot at him" said the cyberdemon and he fired the rocket missiles. John plasmaed at him and tried to blew him up. But then the ceiling fell and they were trapped and not able to kill.
"No! I must kill the demons" he shouted
The radio said "No, John. You are the demons"
And then John was a zombie.
>>
>>275904437
You are a spec ops guy who goes into dubai after a sandstorm to find surviving squad of american soldiers.

Turns out that they stayed behind to help the civilliands and the CIA is trying to do their own shit. The protag ends up manipulated by everyone and making things constantly worse by trying to fix it.

Game also has some choices here and there that retards try to claim are not choices because they heard some dev mention "turning off the game" so they use that as an counteargument to everything.

If you're actually interested, don't read or learn anything and just play the game and make your own conclusions.
>>
>>275904612
Except there totally are choices that the game just doesn't allow you to make. There are ways around stuff that just aren't allowed because they wouldn't be pants-on-head retarded.

During the white phosphorus scene, you can kill every enemy without harming the civilians. Every one except for one. One humvee. Even if you just barely knick it with a shell, the trench full of civies is apparently knee-deep full of gasoline and they all die.

That's not "making hard choices," or "having to accept a bad option as the best" or whatever.

It's just watching a drooling, paintchip-ridded retard make obviously bad choices that you have no control over.
>>
>>275904705
>Wah i hate thinking and thats why i press x to pay respects

Not even Spec Ops fan but holy shit you sound retarded
>>
Anytime anyone says something remotely positive about that fucking trash heap of Spec Ops, I wonder if they legitimately have brain damage. That 4 hour game was one of the shittiest and most cliched pieces of shit that I played when it came out.
>>
>>275905018
The only good piece of advice for a Spec Ops thread

>If you're actually interested, don't read or learn anything and just play the game and make your own conclusions.

Because you won't get anything from the people for or against Spec Ops, this has been over a year (or two?) of shitposting.
>>
File: coffee.jpg (59 KB, 770x575) Image search: [Google]
coffee.jpg
59 KB, 770x575
>>275904612
>>275904615
>>275904667
>>275905013
>>275905018
sounds cool, gotta play
>>
>>275892979
the only reason kids think Spec Ops is "deep" is because the only other game they've played to compare it too is COD or BF.

its trash
>>
>>275904475
>movie adaptation

Please don't even imply it. If one ever came out I would have to go watch and suffer through it's Michael Bay-tier storyline, abs some horrible acting.

If they adapted the first into a movie it might be alright since it's a little more down to earth than the second, what with the occult and crazy fucking cripples attacking you.

I really should play the first one.
>>
>>275904939
Everyone with the faintest interest in war movies has seen the Three Kings. It was a cool movie with great presentation and it keeps plebs interested with good visuals and action, while giving some food for discussion later.

People who enjoy movies should def see it. While we're there, jar head is good as well.
>>
>>275904897
>Not reading

You can take them out, but they'll "kill" the bridge guys anyways.
>>
>>275905145
This was just one badly done level, whereas every other choice in the game you actually have a choice.

You are the definition of cherripicking an unfinished part of the game and claiming it as a standard for the rest.

It's like saying all zeldas are shit and can't be good because you've played phantom hourglass.
>>
>>275905405
Eh, Jarhead is reaching for me. Very mediocre imo. Not awful but not particularly memorable or fantastic either.
>>
>>275905314
stop reading and play it. Forget everything you heard about it good or bad.

But do us one favor: if you don't like the game you don't like the game, don't shitpost in specops threads.
>>
>>275905249
that doesn't even make sense as a reply to my post
the game is suppose to deliver a message, if you need to do more research on it, listen to dev interviews, and hear other peoples opinions to understand what the game is trying to tell you it failed in its delivery of said message
>>
>>275905548
How about the water thing? Oh yes, let's steal all the water and then fucking go on a rampage with the trucks. That'll work out well, right?

Oh, no, wait. You spill all of it. Because apparently 4 trucks of water is enough for, like, an entire fucking city. Who EVER could have seen that coming?
>>
>>275893916
>Ive read and analyzed this game quite a bit. It is easy to hate something you don't understand.

You are a pretentious, hipster faggot.
>>
>>275905553
I enjoyed the visuals and how chechovs gun was used. I got far more enjoyment out of three kings but I still like jarhead.
>>
>>275905548
The choices are "Oh no I fucked up" or "I didn't even realize how evil I was". The WP section is just an example of how terrible the "choices" were.
>>
>>275905719
You don't have to.

Rest of it is just background information so you can understand the game is incomplete.

The basic goal is there right and clear: evoke discussion about nature of military shooters and why are they the way they are.
Simple.
>>
>>275892979
The games shit
Yeah, the story has a good twist
But everything up to that is shit. Only hipsters call it a "masterpiece"
>>
>>275905668
if you want a hug-box to discuss the game in you can probably find one over at reddit
>>
File: 2014-10-25_00001.jpg (211 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
2014-10-25_00001.jpg
211 KB, 1680x1050
>playing Spec Ops for the first time two months ago after hearing everything /v/ said about it (mostly bad things)
>hard mode cuz I'm petty hard myself
>laugh like a retard when pic related happens
>shoot americans all day while trying to farm achievements
>at the white phosphorus part, throw one phosporus bomb right in the civilian crowd, say "Oops!" and throw two more in it for good measure
>stealth parts feel fucking good
>rock music playing at all the right moments
>scary loading screens
8/10 p good game. If you don't like the gameplay, you don't like third person shooters.
>>
>>275905740
How?

I have not played many zelda games other than phantom hourglass which I found repetetive and shit.

I have no interest in playing any zelda games because they all seem the same copies and slight improvements over one another which seem to offer nothing interesting.

Do I go and shit in every zelda thread because I hate it from the bit I've seen? No. I am not gonna talk out of my ass, like you are labeling people pretentious hipsters for having some common sense.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 44

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.