[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Finally on the last game in my backlog: Baldur's Fucking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4
File: BG2.jpg (77 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
BG2.jpg
77 KB, 640x480
Finally on the last game in my backlog: Baldur's Fucking Gate 2

The size of this game is completely fucking nuts. The side quests actually feel like adventures. Why isn't there stuff like this anymore?
>>
>Why isn't there stuff like this anymore?

money
>>
Higher production value for games demands a wider audience and most people couldn't sit through BG2.
>>
>>275447701
let's hear some predictions, boys
Pillars Of Eternity will not be very good.
>>
>>275448174
My guess is that the gameplay will be slightly better than Planescape, but with the story it's hard to tell. Usually Obsidian has good writers, even with stuff like FO:NV.

Tides of Numenera on the other hand will probably be shit, sadly
>>
What does EE add besides new characters, new kits, and the Black Pits? To me it just feels like a modded BG
>>
>>275447701
Dragon Age: Inquisition is literally modern day Baldur's Gate 2. You even fight dragons there too. It's also a Game of the Year.
>>
File: 1255474940630.jpg (287 KB, 625x790) Image search: [Google]
1255474940630.jpg
287 KB, 625x790
>>275447701

>Game of the Year.
>>
>>275447767
This.
BGII cost ten million dollars to make.
It had a bigger budget than Everquest, Resident Evil 2, Unreal Tournament and System Shock II COMBINED.
>>
>>275448759
shitton of game-breaking bugs

>>275447701
wait for pillars of eternity
>>
>>275449607
ten million dollars is nothing by today's standards. What that anon was implying is that cRPGs are not profitable anymore.
>>
>>275449168
haah waaw
>>
>>275449841
>ten million dollars is nothing by today's standards
It AAA+ Money for the time.
Shit, Gears of War cost less to make.
But making a game like BGII today, scaled to today's production values would be very expensive.
>>
>>275447701
I would rate BG2 as the top most overrated game on /v/.
>>
>>275448620
Isn't that McComb guy from the original Planescape? Why will it be shit?
>>
Planescape: Tournament was better.
>>
>>275450438
In writing.
Worse in gameplay and total overall content.
Also, looked worse.
>>
>>275450301
Voice acting. Those jews have a union that had a stranglehold on the video game industry. That's why the same voice actors are used in every game.
>>
>>275447701
>The side quests actually feel like adventures.
They seemed like typical RPG fetch quests to me.
>>
>>275449168
I want to smoke what you have, Anon.
Have you ever played Baldurs Gate? Please explain what qualifies DA to be a "spiritual successor", as Origins, which is superior to Inquisition, was advertised, let alone a "modern day" version?
>>
>>275447701
Great game but why are the companions so fucking shit? They all speak and behave like cartoon characters. Would honestly rather play entirely without companions.
>>
Man I'm playing MoTB but those fucking buff/debuff icons really fucking piss me off. They don't tell me what the source of the buff/debuff is, how the fuck am I supposed to do anything about it?
Is there a mod that fixes it and maybe makes it like Baldurs Gate/Icewind Dale, where it has the spell source name instead of "constitution decreased"?
>>
>>275450761
Have YOU played Dragon Age: Inquisition? Because you looks like one of those babies who hate it because there's no crack.
>>
>>275450761
stop replying to marketers and bait
>>
>>275450784
It's the nature of the murderhobo. There's no way you could be considered normal when you go out of your way to kill things and take their shit.
>>
>>275450784
Because BG2 was among the first games that actually had companions who had ANY kind of personality.
Before, all npcs were basically just glorified puppets with statsheets
>>
>>275450784
They're pretty fucking bad, but none of them has reached the stupid and cartoony levels of Morte the skull.
>>
>>275451186
>hating morte
check out this pleb
>>
>>275451017
No, I played Origins and discarded the series.
How about your explanation now?
>>
>>275451132
Come on m8, BG2 isn't that old.
>>
I know he's a fan favorite but Minsc is so fucking annoying. You can see hints of what Gaider and Bioware at large would eventually become.
>>
>>275451376
Name a game that has companions with any real depth that came out before BG2.

Shit doesn't fucking exist.
>>
>>275451376
Isn't ToB nearly 20 years old? That's old as fuck for video games.
>>
>>275451628
Off the top of my head, I'd say ToB was like .. 2001 or 2002.
>>
>>275451628
Nevermind, it still has yet to hit 15. Still, it's getting there.

>Implying I don't suck cocks
>>
>>275451132
Nah, that was Ultima. BG2 was the first after the EA buyout of Origin.
>>
I'd love to play BG, honestly. I just don't like managing a party. I prefer my RPG's with one controlled character. Makes it really hard for me to get in to it.
>>
>>275452285
MMhhh.. Granted, they had personality in 7.
Kinda forgot, I always liked Underworlds much more than the main series.

>>275452413
>waahh, my selfinsert is ruined by not being able to kill everything alone
>not knowing how to solo BG games
>forever shittier pleb
>>
>>275450761
can you even literally spot bait?
>>
>>275452413
Kensai/ Wizard makes the game a joke.

>>275452607
They had personalities as far back as IV. Anyway, there's also Star Control 2, Wasteland, the first two Fallouts, Dragon Quest and a half dozen others that did character driven NPCs.
>>
>>275452413
It makes for a lot more varied combat especially in BG2.
God, I loved the fight in the Illithid caves. Kite them through the rogue's traps, block the at a doorway with the clerics undead summons and blast them from afar.
Tactics >>>> Awesome Button.
>>
>>275452413
Managing the party is the part of the fun.
Especially when they want to murder each other.
>>
>>275453242
This. using a party is more about tactics rather than doing a one man army cool shit. Diversity in things party members can do is great. just be creative
>>
>>275447701
You can literally do the game in around 10 min start to finish.
>>
>>275452968
With Bioware Fans it's kind of hard.
Judging by posts on BSN, quite a few of them are mentally challenged, so that post could have been legit.
Whatever, I guess.
>>
>>275453626
>>275453242
Or, you can just play a wizard and call it a day. No need to over-complicate shit in 2nd edition DnD.
>>
File: imoen.jpg (56 KB, 500x393) Image search: [Google]
imoen.jpg
56 KB, 500x393
Does anyone have any recommendations for CRPGs like BG2 with party member development? I loved BG2 and am going to replay it soon but would like something to play after that gives off the same feel.

Also, I made it to the end of BG1 but my save fucked up. Is it possible to go into BG2 with items from BG1 like the pantaloons or possibly modding my characters to be how they were in BG1?
>>
>>275453825
Maybe by using character editor?
>>
>>275450306
>not dark souls
>>
>>275453772
Yeah, it was pretty easy to cheese, though not on the level of soloing shit. Than again the spells were a major charm point of the BG series.
>>
It's pretty easy to make a 32 bit sprite.

It takes alot of time and effort to create one working model in a modern game.
>>
>>275453825
Try the other Infinity Engine games: PST and IWD. Other than that, Ultima VII is probably your best bet.
>>
>>275453825
Drakensang 1 & 2
Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2
Kotor 1 & 2

tfw none of these games ever made it to trilogies.
>>
File: cuckdorn.jpg (61 KB, 210x330) Image search: [Google]
cuckdorn.jpg
61 KB, 210x330
Am I the only one who hates every single one of the party members? I mean, I love Irenicus and the storyline, but god damn these assholes are insufferable
>>
You can't make games like this if you want GRAPHIX and next gen shit or it'd cost too much money to make it as expansive, so level design has gotten much weaker and narrow

The only thing close to the scope is something like GTA V and Skyrim but those have huge bloated budgets and still feels incomplete

You have to go back to old sprite design
>>
>>275458074
Try the evil ones. They're the best ones.
(Only the gnome is a must have)
>>
What's a good portrait pack that doesn't feature mutant alien looking fuckers like the original?
>>
>feel like playing BG2
>remember Irneicus' dungeon

The most mind-numbinglu obvious tutorial ever made. Fuck that.
>>
>>275458759
Use DungeonBeGone. It get's rid of the tutorial dungeon
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.