[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, trying out Dark Souls 2. Got recommended the 2nd as it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3
File: maxresdefault.jpg (80 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
80 KB, 1280x720
So, trying out Dark Souls 2.

Got recommended the 2nd as it's the most accessible for casuals and unitiated. Going with STR build as recommended.

Just got into the tutorial, and is there a map for commands because I'm getting fucking tired of being told to Jump by pressing L1 and L2..??
Must be really fucking hard to change some icons.

Anyhow recommended moves for beginners?
So far I've passed the tutorial and getting used to the clunky combat.

I'm guessing attempting to fight without locking onto enemies is useless as turning is done by keyboard and not mouse and thusly setting up direction is obsolete as fuck?
>>
DaS2 is sure to turn you off from the rest honestly since it has the most blatantly unfair elements, even if it's got otherwise streamlined elements.

Anyhow, if possible, play with a controller. The games were designed around lock-on combat and altho the m+kb scheme for DaS2 is decent, it's still not ideal.
>>
>>320944063
well i already got raped by the first enemies in the forest, got three of them at me and while i continued to step back the archer fukd me up.

iim guessing combat in DS requires a lot more patience and chores.

i dont own a controler, but i already got that without locking onto enemies i wont be able to do much.

Should i try DS1?

im really getting turned off by the fact that they left over minor things from the port for now, besides the game is very attractive, especially the environmental design is something.
>>
The first mistake you made was playing with a mouse and keyboard
Stop
>>
>>320944469
play ds1 with a 360 controller
>>
>>320943739
Who the fuck recommended DaS2? There's 3 better games in the series.
>>
>>320944469
Ehhh, if you don't have a controller, don't bother with DaS1, it's the better game overall but the PC port and its keyboard controls are god awful.

Either way ye, Souls games reward patient play a lot generally.
>>
Get a controller
Read item descriptions
Exhaust dialogue with everyone you meet, and try talking to people again after you beat a boss or make major progress to see if they have new dialogue
Make sure camera auto-correct is disabled in the options
Try luring it out

And most importantly, ignore all the shitters telling you to not play it. They're just salty dogs.
>>
>>320944583
>>320944603
does it really get that bad?

i mean it does feel clunky with mkb but besides falling into a ravine two times because i was unable to jump properly and getting raped in the forest because i rushed 4 enemies at a time nothing really bad happened
>>
>>320944728
well the combat feels kinda shit and hard for my norms but the environment and lore-design seems so fucking attractive i cant help not playing the game.
>>
>>320944745

Its bad with kb+m. You really need a gamepad with Dark Souls.
>>
hit escape, and then use the arrow keys to go to the second farthest right icon, hit enter and then enter again and you'll get into the key bindings.
I don't have a controller and can play it fine, but somethings like block breaking are pretty awkward to do with the keyboard so just don't bother with them most of the time
>>
>>320944745
You can play Dark Souls 2 with a mouse and keyboard. It's not good, but the game at least had some effort put into making sure people could do it. Dark Souls 1 is a real mess though, and by the dev's own admission was a "we don't know what the fuck we're doing but people seem to want it" kinda deal.
>>
>>320944861
>>320944745

Not DS2. K+M is perfectly fine. The ability to turn the camera at a moments notice is extremely useful and aiming with the bow is simple.
>>
You should really get a controller for a few reasons, but I have 600 hours in this game and never played with controller. Running will be very inconsistent, and you will sometimes guard break/jump attack randomly when you try to attack. Parrying with double click is horrible, so always use keyboard buttons when you want to do that. F to parry, W+F at the same time for jump attack, and W+G for guard break. After 2 hours you should have no problems with the controls.
And to jump, just run by holding space and pressing F.
>>
>>320945056
>>320945018
>>320945005
>>320944861

alright, thanks for the advices guise

ill start a new game since i died for the fourth time and wasted all

>>320945376
thanks for that guard breaking and parrying explaination, that was horribly explained for pc players and i didnt understand what the fuck am i doing

also ive picked up a torch at the begining and cant seem to locate it in my inventory? and ideas?
>>
default for "Y" prompts in the game is N on the keyboard, walk up to a lit bonfire and hit N to toggle prompt from rest to light torch, or already lit torch in the game environment and a prompt should come up for "light torch", hit enter "A" prompt and your left hand will hold a torch with a timer on it. getting a torch increases this timer by like 2 minutes or something. overall doesn't make too much of a difference in the game, but some places are hard to see without added light and you can light 2-3 things on fire
>>
>>320943739
>clunky combat.
git gud fagget
>>
>>320943739
>Going with STR build as recommended.
you got trolled epically
>>
>>320943739
you jump by pressing L3 or the circle button, what game have you been playing?
>>
>>320947014
this guy is correct, pure melee is for grade A chumps
>>
>>320947014
are you telling me someone would just lie to me on the internet?
>>
File: image.jpg (28 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28 KB, 300x300
>>320945056
I'm gonna be pretty peeved if I boot up DS2 right now and there's still that have second delay when using the mouse buttons for attacks.
>>
>>320946141
Its literally not okay to start over again because you died just four times.
It's as you said it requires a little patience if you're new and dying is a mechanic in the souls series. You cannot find out new things if you dont die to them first.
>>
honestly bloodborne is probably the most accessible
i hear a lot of casuals play bloodborne without playing souls first, and i don't hear too many "difficulty" complaints like i do with souls.
>>
>>320948163
huh? really? i had the impression that dying is literally the noob meter and if my hp is already downed by 40% percent 1h ingame it means i should either stop or try again. i mean i thought about using the effigy but thats probably just a waste atm isnt it?

>>320948336
gott wait for the pc release, and since im a poor pcuck i proly wont be able to run it anyway.
>>
>>320948483
no... pretty sure both dark soul games start with an NPC telling you you'll die over and over and over. It's part of the game, and seeing how you don't know how to play, if its a noob meter... it should be topping out.
using an effigy resets you to full, and you can find a ring that pretty much makes the % loss of health negligible. Be aware of your effigies because they can be hard to find, but if having half health makes it impossible to progress, you should use one.
>>
another mechanic that... you may not be aware of. when you kill enemies you get souls, which is the currency/xp for the game. If you die all those souls will be stored in a green glowing ball at where you die, if you can get back to it and hit enter on it without having died again you get all yo shit back, otherwise you lose the souls for keeps.
When you get to the first town, you can talk to the green hooded woman and she'll let you use souls to level up. Items have requirements of stats to use, so if you want to use a certain thing you have to raise your level in that trait to meet it, pretty straight forward once you get used to it.
>>
>>320949663
oh man, thanks for all those advices.

also im guessing im not able to kill those two trolls in things betwixt? i just tried it and the second one appearing out of nowhere fukd me up.

>Items have requirements of stats to use, so if you want to use a certain thing you have to raise your level in that trait to meet it, pretty straight forward once you get used to it.

Ive noticed that Ive got some badass swords that i cant use (proly because of the game edition or whatever) and theyre all covered with some icky shit, does that dissapear when i meet the parameters or do i bring it to blacksmith or whatever? its pretty cool mechanic anyhow.
>>
>>320949976
You can kill anything in the game at any time really, but it might be easier to come back later. With warping between bonfires and multiple paths available to you at any given time, most of the game is set up for you to just go somewhere else if you're not able to progress.
>>
>>320949976
When you hover over a weapon in the equipment screen, you should see numbers in the bottom left. The number is how much of a stat you need to wield the weapon one-handed (two-handing doubles your strength). If it's red, you don't have enough yet. The letters under those numbers are how well the weapon's damage scales with that stat, although you'll get a lot more damage out of upgrading the weapon at a blacksmith early on than you will from pumping strength/dex. Early game endurance and vit up to 20 are probably a higher priority, after getting the minimum stats to equip the weapon you want.
>>
I'm not sure what you mean by they're covered in icky shit. When you highlight a weapon that you want to equip the bottom of the inventory has a list of stat icons, listing their requirements (dex, str, sometimes faith or int), if it's red then you don't meet it, if its white then you do.
If the weapon has an red X on the image... while equipped then it isn't working properly because you don't have the stats.
if it has a picture of a flame then it is imbued with fire, lightning bolt for light, etc, by the time you find that stuff youll probably be comfortable with it.
If the image has like a weird black ripping overlay, then its broken and will pretty much do nothing... you can break stuff by hitting walls to often or going too long without resting at a fire.
The trolls can be killed at low levels if you know hot to fight them, but they punish you pretty hard if you fuck up so I'd wait until you are already hollow (not human) and don't have any souls to lose before going to figure them out. (actually I'd just wait, the two by the water really don't give you anything, and the first one you meet drops a pretty sick ring)
>>
>>320949976
Not right away but you should kill the one ogre before the hut. It drops a stone ring which is pretty good. If you get behind it's back you can make him loop his butt flopping attack and then it's pretty easy.
>>
>>320949976
Since everyone are so helpful, might be noteworthy to raise your adp untill you have atleast 88 agility for pve, 96-100 is good for pvp since it gives additional invincibility frames upon backsteps. Oh yeah, agility affects your roll and backstep i-frames, and by leveling it you can avoid "bullshit hitboxes"
>>
>>320949976
Whenever you find a "torch", it just adds 5 minutes to your total "torch time". To actually get a torch in your hand, you go up to a bonfire (or certain fires) and press the "switch to 2hand" button (CTRL+MMB or N), then interact.
Another mechanic is if you find a weapon you don't have enough strength to use, you can still use it normally as long as your strength is half of the requirement and you 2hand the weapon. This doesn't work for any other stats.
>>
would we worth putting thread into some sort of DS beginer guide, but im too lazy imho
>>
>>320951017
Oh and attunement also raises agility, so if youre going mage you wont need as many points in adp, its agility stat that matters
>>
>>320951402
I think they have one in the thread on /vg/ but I haven't been there in awhile.
>>
>DS2
>more accessible
>enemies with ridiculous hitboxes
>legitimate artificial difficulty in the forms of platforms that break and enemies popping out of walls that insta kill you despite giving you no warning whatsoever like other souls games would
>enemies that can magically circle around tracking you mid swing
>every other boss is a multiple boss encounter
>markets the entire game on the fact that it's SO HARD AND QUIRKY LOL even though, despite the face that the other souls games were hard, they never banked on that and still recognized good game design over gimmicks
>>
>>320951819
>the omnipresent butthurt babby with the long list of complaints

Look at the thread. Was your post neccessary? Go sperg somewhere else, retard
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.