[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Metroid Prime 1 and 2 >Smash Bros Melee >The Wind Waker
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 8
File: gcn.jpg (73 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
gcn.jpg
73 KB, 1024x768
>Metroid Prime 1 and 2
>Smash Bros Melee
>The Wind Waker
>F-Zero GX
>Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
>Super Mario Sunshine
>best versions of Resident Evil 4 and Tales of Symphonia that gen
>best version of Soul Calibur 2
>Battalion Wars
>Pikmin
>Eternal Darkness
>Thousand Year Door
>cool concept games like Custom Robo, Baten Kaitos, Animal Crossing, and Crystal Chronicles

Please tell me you all got to experience Nintendo at their most refined. You did own a Gamecube, right?
>>
>>269139541
Better: I owned a launch Wii
>>
Not at the time, but I did pick one up a few weeks back and holy shit is it amazing. I can't believe I didn't own it at the time for Metroid Prime alone.
>>
>>269139541
Man I love the Gamecube.

>Animal Crossing
>Tales of Symphonia
>Melee
>Wind Waker
>TTYD

This was the peak of Nintendo. It all went downhill with the Wagglin' Wii.
>>
Damn underrated console.
>>
Medabots and Gotcha Force were better robot fighting games than Custom Robo
>>
>>269139541
Or you could get a Wii, which could play pretty much every Gamecube game, every Wii game and a large number of NES, SNES and N64 games. And that's not even considering the homebrew apps you could install.
>>
>>269140949
Or you could just emulate all of that on your PC
>>
>>269141081
Dolphin's not perfect, brotha
>>
>>269141139
It works with all the good games
>>
File: disgusting .jpg (64 KB, 620x414) Image search: [Google]
disgusting .jpg
64 KB, 620x414
>>269141139
>still better than owning a wii
>>
>>269141286
>autism
>>
File: GKYE01-2.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
GKYE01-2.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
You forgot Kirby Air Ride and Chibi Robo.
>>
Since '01, baby.
>>
Anybody else get a cozy/instant nostalgia feel when they played it, even near launch?
>>
>>269141286
>>269141257
Or you could get a Wii U, mod it with Nintendont, and have every Gamecube, Wii and Wii U game.
>>
File: oh.gif (7 KB, 490x405) Image search: [Google]
oh.gif
7 KB, 490x405
>>269141450
>Or you could get a Wii U
>>
>>269141450

I've been meaning to ask this, do Gamecube games run better on Nintendont than Dolphin? I wasn't sure since the Wii U is basically a more powerful Wii, which is basically a more powerful GC.
>>
The only truly ascendant game among those is SSBM. The others are just decent iterations of franchises or genres that, frankly, were already stale by that point (The "best version" of SC2 is debatable, also).

>>269141427
No, and it was my very first console.
>>
File: 1404694371947.jpg (171 KB, 678x800) Image search: [Google]
1404694371947.jpg
171 KB, 678x800
>Battalion Wars

God damn I loved that shit.
>>
File: IMG_0097.jpg (312 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0097.jpg
312 KB, 960x720
A great supplemental console but there were definitely lots of droughts and the lack of 3rd party support was a major bummer. Their relationship with 3rd party developers has only distanced since the Gamecube.
>>
Had one since launch, and owning a gamecube was like owning a Wii U.

You would get maybe 2-3 games a year for it and the rest of the time you generally picked up shit for the Xbox or PS2 (Multiplats were generally PS2 ports due to the stupid mini-DVD format and not as good, and the official online was limited to PSO). The GBA/Gamecube link cable hype was dumb as fuck back then, and amounted to nothing in the end (Although the GBA player was pretty awesome).

With that said, the Gamecube was not bad in retrospect, but damn was it a long wait for shit at the time. I think I liked the N64 library a bit more in the end, but enjoyed it a hell of a lot more then the Wii (Which had a few interesting games near launch, and was dead for a long ass time in between releases).
>>
>>269139541
All shitty games, and rehashes no wonder the GC sucked and didn't sell.
>>
File: Russianroulette.jpg (10 KB, 400x237) Image search: [Google]
Russianroulette.jpg
10 KB, 400x237
>no mention of Killer7

I expected better.
>>
>>269141601
>some people actually care about what consoles strangers buy.
>>
>>269141765
>generally picked up shit for the Xbox
Heh
>>
>>269141732
That's an incredibly appropriate image if you imagine the kid is nintendo wondering why other developers don't play with him
>>
>>269141617
It can run 480p max, with the output being scaled to 1080. Some games have widescreen hacks too, and you'd probably have fewer glitches than Dolphin. Plus, you don't need a supercomputer to run MMU games.
>>
>>269141732
Gamecube had tons of 3rd party support, you retard
>>
>>269141816
mah nigga
>>
>>269141913
Kek compared to what system?
>>
>>269141869
>implying he wasn't just giving his opinion on the WiiU in general
>>
>>269139541
>Not Luigi's Mansion
Nigga dat game is good too, why u hate
>>
>>269142003
Everything that came after.
>>
>>269141816
Wasn't an exclusive.
Still, absolutely fucking ESSENTIAL game.
>>
sony...won...the..console war
>>
>>269141081
You need a PC that's 10 times more expensive than the Wii to emulate Wii games at an acceptable framerate. And having an actual console is much more convenient for local-multiplayer games (which has always been one of the biggest selling points of Nintendo consoles). Wii's are dirt cheap and you can softmod them very easily and play any game you want for free.
>>
It still amazes me that something like Eternal Darkness came out exclusively on the GameCube. I wish I could go back in time to play it like new again
>>
>>269142062
Actually, that's one of the few games that truly did something notable on the gamecube. Melee is another one.
>>
>>269142052
The fact he thinks his shitpost "opinion" is worth anything is just as pathetic.
>>
>>269142097
Gamecube had shiit 3rd party support, you know as exclusives. The big 4 Capcom games all got ported to PS2. Great system but nintendo is literally what made that system, they had to do it all on their own.
>>
>>269142148
>You need a PC that's 10 times more expensive than the Wii to emulate Wii games
LOL
>>
probably the worst 6th gen console:

ps2 had a better library and exclusives
Xbox had better performance and online and a shared library with pc releases
>>
>>269141873
Say what you will, but the Xbox was the only console (outside of PCs) that really did online correctly at that time. PS2 had some online titles, but it was so few and far between and required a adapter for older models, and gamecube had virtually no online mode for PSO (which the XBox had...even if they gimped the game to require Xbox Live to even play single player).

With that said, the Xbox was a piece of shit for a good 2 years before stuff started to finally come out for it/Xbox Live launched, and did die quicker then the others due to the 360 launch.
>>
Maybe it's just nostalgia but it feels like 6th gen was the last gud series for consoles.

It almost established 80% of all the flagship titles for sequels and spinoffs for the next gen and generally gamecube, ps2, and xbox had a god tier library of good games.

>8th gen
>good games

One in a thousand
>>
>>269142357
>as exclusives
Moving the goalposts, I see
>>
>>269142227ob
Nobodies' opinion on this site is worth anything but we still all share them.
>>
>>269141765

This is what people always forget in these threads. It's a damn good system to collect for and experience now, but even though we got a lot of gems during that era they were so few and far between. It drove me crazy only owning a Gamecube instead of having it supplement a PS2 or Xbox. Seeing all that cool shit come out on the other platforms while I had to replay Prime and Zelda for the 10th time sucked major ass.

Again, damn good system now, but there's a reason why people give it shit.
>>
>>269142365
You could probably get a used Wii for 30 bucks these days. If anything he underestimated
>>
>>269141816
Still my favorite game. I remember getting it for $10 at wal mart just because I thought it looked cool
>>
>>269142538
Should have modded your system, retard.
>>
>>269142203
what did luigi's mansion do that was notable? it was a simple short launch title. i liked it and played the shit out of it as a kid, but it wasn't anything special
>>
>>269142390

If you didn't mind not having really really any Japanese games the Xbox was a solid choice when you consider multiplats and how much you could do with modding it at the time.
>>
>>269142365
Nintendo have sold a shitload of Wiis and I gaurantee that most people rarely use their Wii anymore. I don't think you understand how cheap you can buy an old Wii for.
>>
>>269142991
It's really unconventional. A launch Mario title is Luigi hunting ghosts.
>>
>>269142191
it amazes me that we still haven't gotten a sequel or even a spiritual successor for christs sake
>>
>>269142965

So I could have played a bunch of Jap shit that I could read? Neat.
>>
>>269143296
>could

*couldn't
>>
>>269143202
There was one on kickstarter, but shit fell apart.
>>
File: 1349430157593.png (17 KB, 180x200) Image search: [Google]
1349430157593.png
17 KB, 180x200
>>269142357
>Great system but nintendo is literally what made that system, they had to do it all on their own.

>mfw this statement applies to every nintendo system ever
>>
Baten Kaitos was the shit. But I couldn't stand that I couldn't see my combos because I was in a race to finish my combos. I think I just needed to get good though
>>
>>269143515
Except the NES and SNES. Granted they were sold by Nintendo's games, but there were many more games to buy as well.
>>
>>269142471

I agree. It was the last gen where all the companies really seemed to go all out. And considering the fact that not every game had to be AAA you could have a small but solid team of professionals develop fresh/unique games without having to worry about bankrupting the goddamn company should it not to so well.

I'm not a blind nostalgiafag but I really miss that one aspect in particular.
>>
>>269143202
You can blame Dennis Dyack for that. He more or less drove Silicon Knights into the ground after ED and Twin Snakes with Too Human being a atrocious mess, and pretty much 90% of the staff leaving during and after X-Men: Destiny was released.

He is a shady motherfucker (even back when TS came out, he was pretty controversial due to dumb shit he would say), and part of the reason ED will never get a sequel/spiritual successor.
>>
>>269139541
I own a Gamecube. That thing was a piece of shit.

I'm still playing catch up with all the PS2 games I missed.
>>
>>269143515
>i'm 12 and whats the NES, SNES, and every goddamn gameboy incarnation ever?
>>
>>269140912
Eh, medabots was okay compared to the other 2

Custom robo and gotcha force were easily my 2 favorite games on the console. it's a damn shame not many people played them.

TFW we probably wont get another custom robo or gotcha force game
>>
>>269144213
To be fair NES and SNES had great nintendo games. And GBA have sold like hot bread thanks to gamecube regardless of generation
>>
>>269139541
You forgot Kirby Air Ride.
>>
Since this is a thread about gen 6 consoles, I figure I should ask here.

As we all know, the GameCube and PS2 can be somewhat reliably be emulated. Some GC/PS2 games also existed for PC. So I have a simple question: Which platform had the definitive version of certain games? I remember reading that DMC3 had a rather bad PC port, so bad you were better off emulating the PS2 version. Are there any other multiplats that were better on console? If so, which console typically had the better version?
>>
ps2 shit on gamecube in every single way possible, it isn't even an argument. Nintendogaf, kindly get fucked and fuck off this site.
>>
>>269145409
PS2 had lower res, better sound (less compression). GCN has better native res, emulator.
>>
>>269139541
>>best version of Soul Calibur 2
>playing fighters on a gamecube controller
>can't even press B+X or B+Y at the same time.
Sure thing bruh
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.