[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the most important element in making a horror game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
File: spookman.png (170 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
spookman.png
170 KB, 480x360
What's the most important element in making a horror game frightening?

What makes a game scary, in your opinion?
>>
A sense of helplessness. You must be in almost constant danger and fighting the enemies should be almost impossible, if not actually impossible.
>>
>>268746047

Atmosphere. Jump scares are for the short run. And something that grounds the story to the real world. It adds a more tangible relation to the player.
>>
Sound
>>
>>268746047

Good monster designs. Not over designed or edgy. Something that terrifies you right when you see it on your screen.
>>
full of skeletons
>>
File: 1404965818011.gif (98 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1404965818011.gif
98 KB, 500x375
>>268746745
this nigga gets it
>>
>>268746047
If you are looking for one, P.T. on the Ps4 its a silent hill playable trailer. The creator of the game was going to follow the usual " scary game " guidelines but he said fuck it, I'm going to make it scary as shit. He even joked saying that people that pre ordered the game would get a pair of shorts. I've played it personally, game is scary as fuck and its only the playable trailer..
>>
File: 1413129689762.jpg (258 KB, 481x720) Image search: [Google]
1413129689762.jpg
258 KB, 481x720
>>268746047
Mystery. Seeing bloody, disfigured monsters isn't really scary to me, just a little unpleasant, or creepy. But if I don't know what's coming, where it is, or what it would do to me...

Examples: The monster in the halls in Dread Halls made me feel on edge until I saw it. Then I would happily chase it around.

That invisible guy in Amnesia who stepped in the water was even scarier.
>>
>Picture of P.T.
>Kinda
>>
>>268746047
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyIDF5vj7d0&list=UU0JSXBqfEM4PQt3s_zzaTog&index=1
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.