[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you play competitive Pokemon, /v/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 6
File: smogon.png (40 KB, 292x354) Image search: [Google]
smogon.png
40 KB, 292x354
Do you play competitive Pokemon, /v/?
>>
Competitive what?
>>
>>268745679
I've played every mainline Pokemon game for at least one playthrough, except Blue and Yellow, and I don't think I've ever battled another person.
>>
>>268745679
I've tried ev training holy fuck how can someone play like that
>>
>>268748420
By not being a casual
>>
>>268745679

No autists ruined it like they do every game.
>>
>>268748420
They made it super easy in X&Y takes like 10 minutes with horde battles and surf
>>
Meh, I play Battle Spot every now and then on X/Y, and used to play D/P with a few people online via FC and BW in a few tournaments.

I do EV train Pokemon, and started to IV train with how easy it was in X/Y.

I could care less about battle sims or smogon rules though.
>>
>>268748568
No anon you are the autist
>>
> Ban Aegislash because people can't think
> Ban M-Mawile because it's "too good"

No. Smogon is full retard now. They just ban anything popular bwcause it's "overcentralizing" as if that word has any fucking meaning at all.
>>
>>268748818
Or uhhh, you know, using the super training,
>>
>>268748993
It's like that Brawl Club e-mail.
>>
>>268745679
Yes, it's the only thing that makes mons interesting for me. Been with Smogon since ADV era.
>>
>>268748993
>HURRR BAN ANYTHING THAT GITS GUD

So fucking stupid.
>>
EV training ruined the pokemon games
>>
>>268749471
I never found Aegislash to be a problem.

The best reason they could come up with was it was luck based and forced a 50/50 gamble which was complete bullshit.
>>
EV training is really, really easy.

IV breeding is the cancer. You basically keep breed more and more pokemon until the RNG decides to stop being an ass hole.

It also kind of goes against the spirit of the series. The value of a Pokemon is determined at birth, it needs the right IV spread and the right ability. If it misses the mark on either of those, it's useless.
>>
>>268749520
Nah you are just shit.

git gud
>>
>>268745679
No there's too much luck involved and it should not be considered a competitive game by any standard.
Also the shit Smogon bans make no sense. Swagger gets banned but para-flinch doesn't? The community is also full of autists (i.e. the roleplaying chatroom on Showdown).
>>
>>268749749
That's a good reason to ban it, RNG is cancer and has no place in any competitive environment.
>>
All you've really got do to shut down Aegislash is make sure he doesn't get sup up with swords dance.

I mean no fucking shit he's gonna shadow sneak your team if you let him get set up.
>>
it just seems fucking boring. It seems like people getting upset about others not using some smogon move set or using a Pokemon because it's too good. Where is the fun in that? at least with games like smash bros, even though there are tier lists, a lot of the game comes down to human input instead of straight number crunching by both parties
>>
File: haunter.png (74 KB, 1275x401) Image search: [Google]
haunter.png
74 KB, 1275x401
>>268749749
It was just some last minute vote changes that got him banned and they know it. That's why they've been talking about retesting Aegis in the future.
>>
>>268750268
The whole game is luck based either way. Random damage, paralysis, confusion, flinching, accuracy it makes it frustrating to play. The game is a joke.
>>
>>268749308
Compared to power item hoard training supertraining is the slowest shit ever.
>>
>>268750268

Except nothing about it is luck based or RNG.

It was just prediction and common sense. Is it in attack form now? It will use King's Shield next turn. Is it in shield form? Then it will attack next turn.
>>
>>268745679
Nah. It never interested me. It's fun battling, but I'm too lazy to EV train and git gud IV's, even after XY. I prefer just to play through the story modes and have fun with it.
>>
>>268750721
If you're too lazy to EV train, just play on Showdown. It cuts out the crap of having to train your Porkymen.
>>
>>268749308
Super Training is nice to show a new player what EV training is. Once you figure out hoard battles, you never want to go back to super training.
>>
>>268750721
I told people the same thing and they looked at me like I was crazy. It's like people don't play games for fun anymore
>>
>>268748356
I'm like this. the actual battles themselves are really not that fun, it's just about the grinding and stat progression. I don't expect or desire any "challenge" out of it, just that it should take be at least hundred hours to fill the pokedex each time.

I've yet to be disappointed with a pokemon game.
>>
I feel like the only thing worth giving a shit about when it comes to competitive Pokemon is when that guy used a Pachirisu to win the world championships
>>
I'm gonna say something crazy - 3vs3 is the best battle format, and I wish the entire game was like that, with NPC parties bloated to match.

and/or make there be more trainers with pokemon/AI at the level of BW2's world tournament, that shit always kicks my ass
>>
File: daffy.jpg (83 KB, 719x719) Image search: [Google]
daffy.jpg
83 KB, 719x719
>>268745679
I did for a while. I also competed on Nintendo's official VGC circuit with some success.

I think X/Y fucking ruined everything. Well, that, and I just plain ran out of time. I haven't played Pokemon anything in about 2 years now.
>>
>stop playing gen 6 for a while
>decide to check it out right now
>m-luke, m-mawile and smogonsword all banned

Oh fuck time to hop on showdown
>>
>>268750885
that's how it's been for me since I got into the games. I enjoyed exploring the world and interacting with the characters, and actually having a reason to battle others other than because "MUH OU"
>>
>>268749308
Super training takes about 40 minutes to complete
Hoard battles take about 10
>>
>>268750885
This is gonna sound rude, but I think some people are lying to themselves when they say that the system to get competitive is not grindy or boring at all. Maybe it got easier in XY but before that it was godawful.
>>
>>268749520
Nah EV's fine, it lets you customize the stats on your Pokes to how you want and they made it stupid easy to train them right. I wish they'd just make it a drop down menu or something but it's not terrible
IV training on the other hand is complete bullshit RNG that needs to die
>>
>>268751356

Enjoy Greninja, Edgyzard and Thundurus and Landorus-T every match then.
>>
File: 1406059297045.jpg (198 KB, 500x740) Image search: [Google]
1406059297045.jpg
198 KB, 500x740
A little. Mostly just try and breed good teams and have fun. Just breeding a shiny litwick now. I bread one for my gf and now i'm breeding mine.
>>
>>268751535
Never had nearly as much trouble with them compared to the banned stuff with my team that I'm too lazy to change
>>
>>268751356
It's not much better with those gone.

There's so much power creep that OU is always going to have over-centralizing bullshit.
>>
>>268751434
It still take up too much time tbh. Competitive Pokemon is completely different from other competitive gaming, for example, Smash Bros, where in pokemon you spend way more time deciding who to play and how to play them where as in smash you just pick a main and git gud.
>>
>>268751639
Power creep is an inevitable part of competitive games. No use in resisting, all you can do is manage.
>>
>>268751746
or they could nerf pokemon

nah, that's stupid! patching games is impossible!
>>
>>268751726
>waste time before you can have fun
This is my mine gripe. The whole system was borked from the get go. This is solely Game Freak's fault.
>>
What are you guys talking about, i don't get any of this.
I dont even know if i should get the remakes anymore
>>
>>268751960
do you want to play gen 3 remakes?
>>
>>268751960

What part is confusing you?
>>
>>268751859
I think it would be awesome if they brought back battle frontier and connected it with multiplayer, and allowed you to fully customize rental pokemon (IV's, EV's, Moves, Nature, Nickname) and use them to play others. Then maybe use BP or money to take them out of the battle frontier.
>>
>>268751960
never play pokemon again fucking scrub
>>
>>268751960
There's this thing called google.
>>
>>268751746
>Power creep is an inevitable part of competitive games
What is:
MtG

And also literally every game with just a single iteration (every fighting game for example)
>>
>>268752225
Sounds neat. I always wanted a revamped EV/IV system that's not ridiculous. IMO, currently it's lack luster.
>>
>>268745679
Yeah I did, but never much cared for OU really. This is a video of me playing in Nintendo's MA Regional from 2013:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr-ySrTgvDo

I think B/W was the last gen where defensive play was viable. Now it's all bulky offense, priority, and muh Mega Kangaskhan./Mawile. Very boring.
Not like mind games aren't still a thing, I just think that X/Y's power creep dumbed down the game's strategy as a whole.
>>
I did for a while, but I grew out of it. There are tons of games that are more fun competitively than Pokemon.
>>
>>268752314
Also Yugioh. Just go on pojo and you will see people complaining about x card and y deck.
>>
I've played competitive Pokemon on and off since Platinum came out. Since 6th gen came out, it's been more off than on. Also, since I began playing Doubles near the end of 5th gen, I don't think I'll ever go back to playing OU or any singles tier again.
>>
>>268752373
It's kind of impossibe for GF to do that though because it would get rid of the ability to connect with all previous pokemon games.
>>
>>268750386
>It seems like people getting upset about others not using some smogon move set

This literally never happens. What the fuck
>>
Jesus look at all the people talking about competitive Pokemon with a straight face.
>>
HOWEVER, on an unrelated note, I got back into the TCG just before Furious Fists' release. I'm enjoying it.
>>
>>268752314
I would argue that having a few example cards in hundreds of old ones do not make reverse power creep real.

The power 9 are a mistake/miscalculation.
>>
File: Mawile.png (1011 B, 80x80) Image search: [Google]
Mawile.png
1011 B, 80x80
>m-mawile banned
>fuck smogon
>fuck pokemon
>get a gf
>>
>>268752472
I think he was providing MTG as a counterexample to the claim that power creep is inevitable. Yugioh is the opposite.
>>
>>268752548
I mean do it in a way that doesn't destroy backwards compatibility. Surely, they can manage this. Gearbox was able to pack Quake II into the PSX disc when it was thought impossible to get a faithful port but they did it.
>>
Used to play NU back in early Gen 5
Ran Regigigas with swagger, psyche up, drain punch, and return and a few other things I didn't care about much
>>
>>268752732
My mistake. Still, I heard that MTG has some broken stuff too. I suppose every game has "that one thing better than most."
>>
The only thing gayer than competitive pokemon is competitive smash.
>>
>>268752601
Can you see their faces through the computer? Are they cute?
>>
>>268752472
Actually Yugioh is a textbook example of powercreep. Konami's business strategy was: Make stronger shit so older shit becomes obsolete. That's the definition of powercreep (ie: when the average powerlevel creeps up over time until things that used to be strong are weak by comparison).

MtG and, by definition, every game with only one iteration/no patches cannot suffer from powercreep.
>>
I breed them to be ready for competitive, but I do not do competitive.
>>
File: 1413317133260.jpg (13 KB, 224x220) Image search: [Google]
1413317133260.jpg
13 KB, 224x220
>>268748993
Aegislash was my go to pokemon when I use to do competitive
Fuck this shit
>>
>>268753047
this
breeding is more fun than playing, for some reason
>>
>>268749996
Just get a fucking 6iv shiny ditto from some chump and give it a destiny knot
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.