[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you see this? What is this to you? To most people this is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 83
File: art.jpg (34 KB, 351x420) Image search: [Google]
art.jpg
34 KB, 351x420
Do you see this? What is this to you?

To most people this is three basketballs floating in an aquarium.

To 'art people', however, this is an exploration of transience, human frailty and vulnerability to change in fortune.

Three basketballs floating in an aquarium. This is considered a sculpture. This is estimated to be worth between $400,000 and $600,000 dollars.

This is what I am afraid video games may become in the future. You hear it all the time. You hear people wanting games to be 'more than just games'. You hear people saying how games are 'finally being considered high art'. Well, this is what all of that amounts to. It amounts to minimum effort for maximum pay-off and a world in which games are meant to be analyzed with fake meanings instead of played. The problem isn't in the idea of art itself, but rather in the way certain people interpret art.

Video games are art. Every single video game, by definition, would be considered art. But nooo, that's not enough for 'artsy' people. See, once upon a time these artsy people did sculptures, made indie films, and did elaborate bizarre performances. Now, unfortunately, they have realized that video games aren't hard to make and it instantly gets them a large audience rather than them having to rent out art exhibits or film their movies in small private theaters. However, the game community is huge and they're getting more opposition to their ideas than they thought.

What do you think of games as art? What's high art to you?
>>
Art is fucking dumb and shouldn't be worried about. Go ram a dildo up your ass and get the photograph framed in the lourve
>>
>there is only one kind of art
>>
>To 'art people', however, this is an exploration of transience, human frailty and vulnerability to change in fortune.

Then instead of basketballs there should be three bulletballs.
>>
>>268680019
Yeah, this shit art exists.

But so does nice looking stuff.

The same may happen to games, but there will always be a variety.
>>
>>268680019
modern art is bullshit. there are plenty of people who approach art in the traditional sense of portraits, landscapes, etc.

In video games this is indie games. This is already happening.

Modern art is the idea that evoking a thought or emotion is enough for it to be considered art. Indie games is the same in that regard.
>>
>>268680713
additionally modern art is the equivalent of those prank videos where they prank random people and when they get mad the guy goes "it's just a prank, there's a camera." as if that made it ok.
>>
>>268680713
This is actually post modern art, but I agree it's shit
>>
>>268680019
>This is estimated to be worth between $400,000 and $600,000 dollars.

So... if I make this exact same setup, I can be rich?
>>
>>268680713

But here's the problem. These 'artists' are talking about making games that are 'more than just games'. Obviously, evoking a thought or emotion isn't enough for them. If it was then they'd all consider Pac-Man to be great art.

Their definition of art is now 'something designed to promote some kind of socio-political change or tell stories with few gameplay elements'.

They can't have 'art' without pretentiousness.
>>
>>268680858
You need to make a name for yourself first
>>
>video games aren't hard to make
It's a hell of a lot harder than just tossing three basketballs in an aquarium. Besides, the thing about video games is that you can't just sell one for thousands of dollars to a dumb artfag with more money than brains, you have to actually make it marketable if you want to sell more than one copy.
>>
I see a stunning recreation of discovering your loved one had a miscarriage.

Truly riveting.
>>
>>268680858

No, it's gotta be that one.

It's 'special' for some reason.

The way art works is that it's only valuable if a certain person made it.
>>
>>268680019
They can estimate all they want. Real question is how much would someone pay for it.
And if the thing breaks, and insurance covers it, they won't be getting more than $100 to replace it.
>>
>>268680858
So you are saying you could make the exact same thing?
>>
>>268680932
>It's a hell of a lot harder than just tossing three basketballs in an aquarium

Not really. You can basically make a low-budget indie game in a day and people will shower it with praise.
>>
What would happen if I put a bunch of dildos and flashlights in an aquarium?

3 billion dollars?
>>
>>268681014
>Real question is how much would someone pay for it.

Oh, people will pay for this shit.

You don't need to be smart to be rich.
>>
>>268680019

I'm a physicsfag so I see subatomic particles floating in an aether of quantum potential.
>>
>>268681118
Yes. Just claim it's an interpretation of sexual repression in today's society.
>>
File: plinkett.jpg (57 KB, 919x720) Image search: [Google]
plinkett.jpg
57 KB, 919x720
>What we're looking at is a Three Ball 50/50 Tank from 1985. You know, the reason that I used a basketball over another object is really probably for the purity of it, that it's an inflatable, it relates to our human experience of to be alive we have to breathe. If the ball would be deflated, it would be a symbol of death. But it's inflated, so it's a symbol of life.

>The balls always remain exactly 50 percent submerged below the water line, but due to vibration in the room it will move the balls either to the left or right. And that's one of the really wonderful, beautiful, chaotic aspects of the tank.

>I wanted to keep these pieces very, very pure. And so I didn't want to put chemicals in the water because I wanted to keep it very, very womb-like. So there was an acceptance of a maintenance and of a degradation that can occur. Eventually the basketballs do have to be replaced, and they're just replaced with basketballs at that moment hopefully we would have two that are orange and one that would be brown.

>You know, one of the interesting things about the ready-made in art—whether it's a building or whether it's an aquarium or a basketball, is that the ready-mades are really a form of acceptance of the world. So in the journey of art, in a way, the first level is self-acceptance. And then this other calling, almost like a higher level, is to be able to accept, the outside world. And I really believe that the ready-made is a metaphor for the acceptance of others.

I wish I had this guy's job
>>
>>268681118

Making money with art isn't about what you make. It's about who you know.
>>
>>268681237
You know. Back in the day of classical artists. The guilds would beat the crap out of people like this.
>>
>>268680019
If we call video games art, that means by extension that gameplay has an inherent value, and that video games can be recognized as art based on nothing but its accomplishments in that regard, without needing cutscenes, fancy graphics, or pseudo-intellectual bullshit.

In other words, it's the ultimate way of saying "games just need to fun."
>>
>This is what I am afraid video games may become in the future.

Yes, because conceptual art is the only kind of art that exists today.

There's room for everything. If you like conceptual, abstract games, play those. If you don't like them, don't play them.
>>
Videogames won't become like modern art because with modern art there will only be one original so they can sell this shit for thousands of dollars and its very useful for money laundering.

If at anything videogames will become more like film. Think modern American box office movie experiences, explosions, excessive CGI, cute actors/actresses and other gimmicks that will get as many people in and out of the cinema as possible.
>>
>>268681041
Like what? The only thing I can think of even remotely like that is Gone Home, but even then they obviously went to a lot of trouble creating the house.
>>
>>268680019
I see a waste of time and the "artist" should get a real job
>>
File: asas.jpg (1 MB, 1300x2895) Image search: [Google]
asas.jpg
1 MB, 1300x2895
>>
File: 1405135446746.gif (2 MB, 300x290) Image search: [Google]
1405135446746.gif
2 MB, 300x290
If literally anyone with access to wal mart can recreate this then how exactly is it worth anything more than the sum of its parts?
>>
File: 1372327230940.png (75 KB, 316x208) Image search: [Google]
1372327230940.png
75 KB, 316x208
>>268681237
I could come up with something more fucking convincing in about half an hour.

Fuck, just say something about the fame of basketball players and how short lived it is is a mirror of life and death in general
>>
>>268681194
>aether?

And you're a physicsfag?
>>
>>268681547

Because he has the linguistic voodoo to back it up. See any and all conceptual art analysis.
>>
>>268681547
Art isn't only about technical skill.
>>
>>268681547
Because deep metaphors.
>>
>>268681237
>it's inflated, so it's a symbol of life.

My fetish is life
>>
>>268681360
>fun
>>
>>268681656
>linguistic voodoo

As a linguist, I take offense to that.
>>
>>268680019
>To 'art people', however, this is an exploration of transience, human frailty and vulnerability to change in fortune.

How does that image convey all of that?
>>
>>268681632

I knew I'd get that response. I'm hardly being literal, Christ. Do us both a favor and check up the informal definition of the word, and the informal nature of this board. I take it any mention of soul riles you up as well?
>>
>>268681601
You may be able to. But can you look good in a turtleneck?
>>
>>268681820
How does it not?
>>
>>268680713
>The Graveyard
I'm not sure if I'm more angry that someone made it or that there's someone out there who think it's the greatest game they've ever played.
>>
File: 2583625.gif (30 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
2583625.gif
30 KB, 256x224
>Do you see this? What is this to you?
>>
>>268681025
>yes but I could make it better by putting in my own piss instead of water
>>
>>268681237

Kek. I thought it was going to be about how the basketballs represent the fragility of our lives and how easily everything can get fucked up.
>>
File: tumblr_lkwe6w19Q41qeqpmw[1].jpg (115 KB, 500x389) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lkwe6w19Q41qeqpmw[1].jpg
115 KB, 500x389
>>268681237

Inflation represents life
>>
>>268681820
If you have the imagination, anything could.

But the rule of thumb is, if you have to spell out to people what your "art" means, you're a terrible artist. Because we could just as easily interpret it as literally anything else.
>>
>>268681820
You got to read the notecard that is next to the display.

Personally I don't believe art should 'tell' you anything. It should be in what you get from it. If I look at a picture and think that it's about some guy whose sad about his dead wife, thats what I'm getting from it.
If I have to read a notecard sitting next to it so I know what the hell I'm looking at, that's not a sculpture or a painting. That's a poem or essay.
>>
>>268681237
To say so much nonsense about something you cobbled together in a few minutes, have people give you thousands of dollars for it and not break out in a stupid grin even once takes some serious balls.
>>
>>268681873

To my plebeian eyes it looks like three basketballs in a tank. I look at something like Starry Night and I think "this is art, it evokes emotion in me, its beautiful".

I look at this and I see three basketballs in a tank. So I'm asking, whats special about it?
>>
File: your mom's buttplug arrived.jpg (197 KB, 950x534) Image search: [Google]
your mom's buttplug arrived.jpg
197 KB, 950x534
>>268680219
yfw this is literally happening right now.
it was just taken down this week
>>
>>268682181
So it's not special to you and it doesn't evoke emotions. Good for you. Move the fuck on, then. Don't get mad at people who do like that piece of art.
>>
>>268682195
Story on this is that that was an 'Inflatable Christmas Tree' put on display in France. It was taken down for obvious reasons.
>>
File: 1377469697206.png (84 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1377469697206.png
84 KB, 250x250
>>268682293

Whoa, hey there anon. When did I say I was mad at people liking the art? I just wanted to understand how people came to the conclusion of "exploration of transience, human frailty and vulnerability to change in fortune" from the image.
>>
>>268682484
It's called subtext.

Even kids' stories have subtext. The story about the fox and the grapes, for example, isn't just about a fox who can't get something and is bitter about it. It's also supposed to tell us something about human nature.
>>
>>268682484
You got to read the notecard attached to it.
>>
>>268682195
>>268682316
and by "taken down" you mean someone stabbed the fuck out of this christmas buttplug
>>
>>268680019
>Video games are art. Every single video game, by definition, would be considered art.
Craft, for sure. Art, only if the creators believe they're making art. Which isn't always the case necessarily.

>The problem isn't in the idea of art itself, but rather in the way certain people interpret art.
I agree with that, but probably not in the way that you mean it. I think "Is x art" is a boring conversation. Obviously video games can be art. The real conversation is "is x good art or bad art".

>>268682181
Emotional response is irrelevant. Something can be art without evoking emotion, and something can evoke emotion without being art.
>>
>>268682683
No. A Christian group pointed out that it in fact looks like a massive dildo, and they removed the display.
Cause no one wants to be the guy in the news under the headline, "Man/Woman stabs giant dildo"
>>
>>268682661

Okay, sure. Metaphors and shit.

I just don't see the connections between the high concepts mentioned and... well, basketballs sitting in a tank. But I guess I'm too plebeian to see it.
>>
>>268682819
>dildo
>>
>>268682661
So who the fuck was able to figure that out by looking at it and not listening to the artists bullshit explanation?
>>
>>268680019
Oh boy is it time for the monthly artz and video gamez thread? Ok let me grab the popcorn and watch autistsm debating things it knows nothing about.

Good on you OP.
>>
>>268682819
Dildo. Its a butt plug. Please I'm an expert
>>
>>268682889
>I just don't see the connections between the high concepts mentioned
Well, that's not surprising, is it? People study art for decades, reading hundreds of books. If you take someone to a baseball game for the first time ever, that will look pretty random, too. Just because something look random to you doesn't mean it is random.
>>
File: 1372133820169.png (406 KB, 1170x666) Image search: [Google]
1372133820169.png
406 KB, 1170x666
oh boy
>>
>>268682661
How are you supposed to figure out the connection between three basketballs in an aquarium and "transience, human frailty and vulnerability to change in fortune"?
>>
>>268683048

Typical autistic 'muh /v/ culture' response.
>>
File: HeyDiddlediddle.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
HeyDiddlediddle.webm
3 MB, 640x360
http://youtu.be/AXWm1sT_1rM?t=1m57s

>Required to go to contemporary classical music performance for gen ed music class
>Guy on stage starts playing this as the opening piece
>2/3 of it is him just blowing through the clarinet inaudibly
>Music professors sitting next to me are praising it like the second coming of christ

I will never understand artists.
I get that the performance probably took a good amount of technical skill, but it was boring as fuck and everyone seemed to be praising the music rather than the performer.
I've also heard from my music professor that there's a "musical" piece where a pianist will walk up on stage, open the cover on the piano keys and just sit there in silence for like 10 minutes.
>>
>>268683113
Any retard knows what is happening is baseball. You throw the ball, sometimes you hit it, then you run. It's so easy young children do it.

You're not seeing anything special, you're simply applying your own bullshit opinions to a mundane situation because you want it to be more.
>>
>>268683113

How does studying art teach you that basketballs in a tank can mean exploration of transience, human frailty and vulnerability to change in fortune?

I mean, if the basketballs can be a metaphor ANYTHING, then can anything be art? And if they can't be a metaphor for anything, then how do you know what they're a metaphor of?
>>
>>268682974
I don't really approach art that way. To me, it's not about figuring out or solving a puzzle. You should first ask yourself what something says to YOU. And then look at what the artist was trying to achieve. The "human frailty" is just one interpretation.

But it's also important to not dismiss other people's differing readings as "bullshit".
>>
File: art.jpg (90 KB, 360x541) Image search: [Google]
art.jpg
90 KB, 360x541
>>268682316
he's such an edgy faggot its disgusting.
>>
File: suave gambler hat.jpg (12 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
suave gambler hat.jpg
12 KB, 300x300
>>268683373
>>
>>268683272
Those kinds of artists are the type of people that give participation awards and gets mad when the winning team gets bigger trophies than the losers
>>
>>268683272
If something involved technical skill I could appreciate that
>>
>>268682195
I heard the artist was also punched in the face.
>>
>>268683373

>You should first ask yourself what something says to YOU.

That looks like 3 basketballs in a tank. Let me check aga- nope, 3 basketballs in a tank.

>And then look at what the artist was trying to achieve.

He dropped three basketballs in a tank and called it art.

I dunno man, I don't think this works for me.
>>
>>268683272
>I've also heard from my music professor that there's a "musical" piece where a pianist will walk up on stage, open the cover on the piano keys and just sit there in silence for like 10 minutes.
It's called 4'33".
>>
Art is subjective. That's all you need to know.
>>
>>268683365
>I mean, if the basketballs can be a metaphor ANYTHING
It can possibly be a metaphor for anything, and it's up to you to say if you think their explanation is bad

>then can anything be art?
Yes.

>How does studying art teach you that basketballs in a tank can mean exploration of transience, human frailty and vulnerability to change in fortune?
Off the top of my head, the basketballs have a pretty clear relation to fortune because of the NBA. Them floating up and down in the water can possibly show how the fortune is changed by the environment around it, and the physical relation to the other balls shows how some people have different fortunes than others. That's just off the top of my head, so it's not really far fetched to conceive some sort of meaning for it. Think about it for yourself.
>>
>>268683090
What even is a point of a buttplug?
>>
>>268680880
Pac-Man fits alot more in video game art then Gone Home or any pretentious indie bullshit game
>>
>>268680019
By who?And who would buy this, isn't it easier to make one yourself?Dude is something really wrong with capitalism nowadays or is just people that have gone totally retarded?
>>
File: dwarffortress-big.png (109 KB, 856x540) Image search: [Google]
dwarffortress-big.png
109 KB, 856x540
Do you not think art only looks dumb because you don't get it? I mean look at it a different way, show this to someone who doesn't know shit about videogames and it just looks like a bunch of meaningless lines and symbols to them.

Sure they "get" games like cod and assassin's creed or whatever, but you "get" pretty pictures of sunsets and flowers
>>
>>268683782

Ah, I see. Honestly I've never really been into art but I like your explanations. Thanks for giving me some of your insight.
>>
>>268683807
You plug it in your butt and feel the good chemicals flow in your brain canals.
>>
99% of EVERYTHING is shit. That goes for classical art as well as modern. We just don't have a habit of remembering the shit so it's super easy to romanticize past styles while having a more informed view of whatever is currently going on. There is good Modern art, it is just rare, just like there was a whole lot of really shitty classical art that just copied everyone else's work without adding anything interesting.
>>
>>268680019
This is why Hatred, for all the shit it gets, is perfect "high art". It's a biting commentary on how we view violence in our media (specifically, in games). Remove any pretense of justification for your wanton slaughter and what are you? You're no longer a hero but so hated people want to ban and censor your game.

It's the most artistic game we've ever seen.
>>
>>268683640
By "what the artist was trying to achieve" I mean research the artist. Look up interviews with him, look at his other works, read if he has included any notes with the artworks.

And it's not about abstraction. Any painting is just a "bunch of liquid composition smeared on a surface". The same way you can look at this piece and see only "3 basketballs in water".
>>
>>268683682

Are there more examples of this? Blank canvases, etc?
>>
>>268680019
Art really is terrible. One of my friends is in a performing body class at our uni, and 2 of the girls in there had everyone in the class get some scissors and cut away at their clothes. After both girls were ass-naked they declared that it was a form of expression, and the teacher gave them extra credit. There's a screencap floating around of a guy in an art school talking about how 2 people did a semester final project that consisted of one of the students taking the other student's virginity in front of the student body. Artsy people have a higher ratio of crazies than any other field, and it just gets worse the higher up you go. The worse part is that once someone has reached the top, effort doesn't matter anymore. People pay big bucks for the brand name, without caring about the quality. Sculpting, painting, drawing, theatre, films, music, etc. is all the same. Filled with people famous for being famous.
>>
>>268684001
I think that's what Hatred would like to see itself as, sure.
>>
>>268683919
Money laundering, just under a different name.
>>
File: 1410769404119.jpg (56 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1410769404119.jpg
56 KB, 640x640
>>268682819
>Cause no one wants to be the guy in the news under the headline, "Man/Woman stabs giant dildo"
I'd jump at the chance. Hell, I've been in the newspaper under the headline "graffiti sprayer has humor, but no intelligence" before.
>>
>>268683807
it's to keep the poop from falling out of your ass when you're a sexual deviant that has had so much butt sex that your anus can no longer remain shut
>>
>>268684072
>I didn't understand it therefore there is nothing to understand
>>
What's the point of representing something if no one will understand what it is unless you explicitely tell them?
>>
>>268684001

It actually is though. Why is a violence in other games acceptable in their context? Is violence ever justified? Should it ever be?

In a lot of ways Hatred is violence without it trying to have a facade of any justification.
>>
>>268683807
It's just a specially shaped dildo for butt stuff, really.
>>
>>268680019
Here's the thing, if someone makes Fluid Dynamics: The Statement on the Human Condition the Game: Art Edition, games that are actually fun and worth playing will still exist. If every human on Earth played video games, you'd get such a wide variety of games, complaining about the existence of art games would be as silly as complaining about the existence of art films. Let people do what they want, they aren't bothering you.
>>
File: cantseeshitcaptaion.jpg (6 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
cantseeshitcaptaion.jpg
6 KB, 259x194
>ridiculing modern art
>"games are art too"
stay pleb /v/
>>
>>268684070
John Cage's 4'33" was inspired by blank canvas art. He pretty much took the idea and translated it to music.

It's somewhat different though. The point of 4'33" is to show that there is no such thing as silence. Because when the piece is performed, you're still hearing all the sounds around you. When the piece was originally performed, it was outdoors in a forest area.
>>
File: MaximumHonk.gif (158 KB, 209x193) Image search: [Google]
MaximumHonk.gif
158 KB, 209x193
http://youtu.be/duBBgcPbzBs
>art
>>
>>268683807
Prolonged anal stimulation through displacement since the anus is far less suitable to constant in and out movements than the vagina, unless you're pain resistant and use enough lube to oil a bobsled track.
>>
>>268684152
story time
>>
>>268684190
/v/ doesn't understand =/= no one will understand
>>
>>268680019
I dont know about you guys but the first thing I saw was two white guys and a nigga.
>>
>>268680970
like if some hollywood starlet shit on a dead cat

that shit and dead cap become priced?
>>
this thread actually makes me want to make art

but the pretentious kind
>>
>>268684394
I wasn't talking about this in particular, even though I doubt anyone could even begin to guess what the author had in mind.
>>
File: basketballman.png (23 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
basketballman.png
23 KB, 640x480
>>268680019
You know, this might be art.
When I look at it I want to do one thing only
SLAM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAnoj_trYfo
>>
>>268681547
Nobody with money is stupid enough to believe in the high art cult. They use these pieces to move vast amounts of money.
>>
>>268680019
How are the balls so evenly spaced?
>>
>>268684503
I love how everyone always goes to poop and pee when trying to make fun of modern art.

>but is it art if i poop and pee on a-
Yes it is. It's also been done to death to the point where it's hack to do so.
>>
>>268684385
There's no big story, I've just sprayed "People are funny animals." in a well visible place in the town center one dark night, and a day or two later the newspaper used it as the pickup story for an article about a growing graffiti problem they seem to had planned anyway.
>>
File: 1401612743057.jpg (19 KB, 230x193) Image search: [Google]
1401612743057.jpg
19 KB, 230x193
>>268684605
>>
Remember the episode of South Park about the Tale of Scroty McBoogerballs? That's art.
>>
>>268684529
Well, for starters, not every artist creates art for people. And as I've said earlier ITT, it's not only about communicating one fixed idea or emotion, either.

Just because your reading differs from what the artist set out to convey doesn't mean your take has no value or you should try harder.
>>
>>268684136
But the artist's/creator's intentions don't matter according to art critics. The only evaluator for meaning of art is the individual who views it.

So for all the shitflinging Polygon and other sites are sending the way of the developers, trying to discredit them at every turn, they're focusing on something that doesn't matter. Intent of the artist is trivial in art.
>>
>>268683272
>>268683682
It's not a pianist, it's a full orchestra and audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY7UK-6aaNA

"Music" like this is at least interesting because it's pretty much performance art that requires audience participation. Everyone stays silent because it's "music." It requires at least charisma to gather all these people here to do something so ridiculous and sell the idea.
>>
>>268681529
>skill

So the OP's picture and most modern art isn't art? Good to know.
>>
>>268684657
>Newspapers don't know humans ARE animals.
>>
>american art is every art humanity has ever created
>>
>>268680019
I'm annoyed that they tried to get the basketballs to remain vertical, but fucked it up slightly and none are in alignment.
>>
I had no idea there were so many art majors on /v/
>>
>>268684760
>But the artist's/creator's intentions don't matter according to art critics. The only evaluator for meaning of art is the individual who views it.
Right. My implication was that while Hatred would like to see itself as a subversive comment on violence in culture, I don't think it succeeds in doing that. Or perhaps they're lying entirely.
>>
>>268684635
Science art. It's actually really cool.
>>
And if you shake the tank, what happens to that frailty?
>>
>>268684910
No, the intelligence reference was because obviously an intelligent person wouldn't deface public spaces with graffiti.
>>
>>268684656
How about I kill a cow and leave it to rot in the middle of an art gallery? Its constant decay represents the transience of existence and the eternal cycle of mortality, as evidenced by the clouds of flies and maggots swarming all over it.
>>
>>268684635
The nigger field effect.
>>
>>268684936
Okay, I misread your initial post. I get what your on about now. I think by simply provoking outrage and having people defend the violence in other games it does succeed on some level, though not completely.
>>
>>268684814
John Cage wrote mostly for piano, but 4'33" is meant for any combination of instruments. It's been performed countless times by many different groups of people with various instruments. That video is just one example.
>>
>not liking modern art
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fVOOSwE4IA
>>
File: 1373539542459.png (26 KB, 626x546) Image search: [Google]
1373539542459.png
26 KB, 626x546
>>268683782
>and the physical relation to the other balls shows how some people have different fortunes than others

But they're floating at the same height.

You just made that shit up, art is a scam CONFIRMED.
>>
>>268684925
>>268684976
see >>268681237
>>
>>268684001
>You're no longer a hero but so hated people want to ban and censor your game.
But that's wrong. People have been looking for people wanting to ban and censor it but have come up with no one.

Also the devs of Hatred say it's not art, it's just a game for "gaming pleasure." It's a product like most games.
>>
What the fuck is wrong with society, why does this pretentious shit exist? I guess what I take away from it is the reminder that humans are a bunch of dumb apes riding a rock through space, this is the human equivalent of flinging poo.
>>
File: 1362053976002.png (340 KB, 499x583) Image search: [Google]
1362053976002.png
340 KB, 499x583
>>268684976
It turns into performance art and becomes even more valuable.
>>
>>268685075
>How about I kill a cow and leave it to rot in the middle of an art gallery?
Yes, and it's been done. A guy shot some dogs for an art piece I think. Just by making it gross or violent doesn't mean it isn't art.
>>
>>268684938

No. That's just in this one picture. The horizontal position of the balls change all the time.
>>
File: 1294455127640.gif (2 MB, 230x172) Image search: [Google]
1294455127640.gif
2 MB, 230x172
>tfw this thread is estimated to be worth $2 gorillion and is a statement on the cultural effects of the ebola outbreak in west Africa
>>
File: 1407771745364.jpg (49 KB, 720x400) Image search: [Google]
1407771745364.jpg
49 KB, 720x400
How about I bring in a blank canvas and say that that my art is all about what ISN'T painted?

>AND THEN I GOT PAID $100,000 FOR THIS MASTERPIECE
>>
File: 1410784220418.png (157 KB, 380x264) Image search: [Google]
1410784220418.png
157 KB, 380x264
Let's say I come with a hammer and smash the glass from that piece of art.
How much do you think I'd be charged for breaking it?
>>
>>268680019
>What do you think of games as art? What's high art to you?

Video games only get close to being art when they emulate another medium

>TLOU is only art by being akin to a movie
>VNs are only art by being akin to literature
etc
>>
>>268685343
Someone already did that literally almost 100 years ago. You're that slow.
>>
>>268685343

Already been done.
>>
>>268680019
This isn't art. It's three basketballs floating in a fish tank.
Art can be anything expressed from human creativity, considering the artist can explain their motivation. Considering the basketballs in water are meant to portray transience, I very much believe that the artist was high and looking at a fish tank. If I ever met the artist, I would ask them what the piece meant, and why.
If this was called "Three basketballs in a fish tank.", then I would consider it art, basing it off the motive of wanting to see how three basketballs look while floating in a fish tank. Sure, nobody would want to buy it, but at least it's not pulling existential '2deep4u' bullshit.
>>
>>268685343

Sorry, you gotta be first.
>>
>>268685308
No John, you are the art.

And then John was worth a quadrillion dollars.
>>
>>268680019
The real question is, why do people care? Why does the label "art" make a difference? Are people that retarded? A game is a game.
>>
>>268681547
It has the artist's name behind it.

Same reason why some shitty Chinese factory-made purse is worth 4 grand because it says Gucci on it.
>>
Can I become a famous artist by taking a shit, shaving off all of my hair, plaster it onto my shit, and call it a commentary on artplebs having shit for brains?
>>
>>268685306
Yes, they change with science. I'm not saying that they stay perfectly still, I'm saying that it's cool that this piece is meant to shift and drift with the outside disturbances and the impossibility of keeping them evenly spaced. It's food for thought.
>>
File: AFP_Getty-142321998.jpg (124 KB, 1200x801) Image search: [Google]
AFP_Getty-142321998.jpg
124 KB, 1200x801
>>268685075
>>268685267
I actually saw a fucking cool piece of art which was just a collection of sliced cadavers in formaldehyde. One of the cadavers was a cow and it was split down the middle so you could walk right through the two glass formaldehyde containers. I think the artist name was Damien hirst.

Not all postmodern art is shit, sometimes it's neat.
>>
>>268685361
You only added to the artists statement. It just became TWICE as valuable.
>>
>>268681237
It's like this guy was a high school English teacher in a past life or something.
>>
>>268685631
see
>>268684656
>>
There should be an artist whose art is exclusively the unwarranted immolation of the art of others.
That would be entertaining to watch.
>>
>>268680019
What irks me is not that this is art, anything can be art. A child's finger painting can be art. You can even call this art deep. What gets to me is how much monetary value is placed in art like this. The artist needed no skill to produce this. They needed no effort or training. I guess it's mostly the fault of the buyer, they're allowed to buy whatever they want for however much they want to pay, but I just don't like the fact that someone can just buy 3 basketballs and an aquarium from Walmart, put them together in half an hour and make more money with that than most people do in a year.
>>
>>268685647
Loose seaweed does the same in the ocean, so everyone should pay me money to look at the ocean from now on
>>
>>268685267
If anything, creating shock horror amplifies the visual emotion of the piece, along with it being of limited showing time due to decomposure.
It would work, among heavy protest and publicity.
>>
>>268685631
Only if you sell it right. If you've done your time in art school and people don't have to do too much research on you to know that you know your shit, then you might have a shot.
>>
>>268683921
>defending symbolism
>dorf fortress is symbolism too!

Go fuck yourself
>>
>Hate on moderns arts
>Cream yourselves over YoutubePoops and how deep they are

Hypocrisy is thy name /v/.
>>
>>268685689
You're just not understanding the deeper meaning of what I said
>>
File: mona_lisa13328717638881.jpg (269 KB, 966x1522) Image search: [Google]
mona_lisa13328717638881.jpg
269 KB, 966x1522
>>268685739
Duchamp
>>
>>268682167
>>268682050
>>268681601

I went to art school, generally very good with focus on industrial art and illustration, but we did have that one class where we learned how to make bullshit artist statements.

I'm not kidding, you're encouraged to show contempt to the reader of your statement, and get graded on how much you can make fun of them without them knowing.

Its a post-modern artist in-joke.
>>
>>268685652
I went to a place that did this but with real human bodies, you didnt get to walk through it like that, but one of the bodies was all sliced up from head to toe into thin layers

it was pretty cool, but I think it was more for science than art
>>
>>268685853
No one thinks youtubepoops are deep.
>>
>>268685853
Nobody in the history of anything has ever considered a Youtube Poop "deep".
>>
>>268685768
The aquarium is a closed system. You don't understand science or art.
>>
>>268685853
Who the fuck thinks youtubepoops are deep?
>>
File: diego.png (305 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
diego.png
305 KB, 480x640
It doesnt matter WHAT you do. It matters WHO does it. That's modern art for ya. If you have 10 photos of shit - the only one that can be consired as an art is the one made by famous person.
Why the fuck people even care what's art and what isn't? It changes absolutely nothing. Care about FUN, this is what matters, not some bullshit awards
>>
File: 1406054558540.png (21 KB, 355x355) Image search: [Google]
1406054558540.png
21 KB, 355x355
>>268685853
>how deep they are

I'm pretty sure everyone will agree they're just meant to be humorous
>>
File: larg.jpg (42 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
larg.jpg
42 KB, 1024x576
>>268685652

Reminds me of Hannibal.
>>
>>268686015
Because how am I meant to look mature and grown up when playing my video games? All the important people will laugh at me :(
>>
>>268685982
I do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Osh-KYy4Cw
>>
>>268680019
It's already happened, OP. Just look at Gone Home.

Modern art is shit.
>>
>>268686025
What the hell is going on in that picture?
>>
>>268682683
and by "someone stabbed the fuck out of this christmas buttplug" you mean someone fucked the stab out of this christmas buttplug
>>
>>268686015
Fun doesn't make money, anon.
>>
I honestly believe that Hitler was a better artist than Picaso
>>
>>268685652
I don't think a cow cut in half is cool because its art or it implies something or it expresses something.

I think its cool because its a motherfucking cow cut in half, its a fascinating way to view the inside of a creature.
>>
>>268685853
Nobody does this
>>
>>268686216

She found Hannibal's rape dungeon so Hannibal chopped her up. Its a great show.
>>
>>268683150
Poor artfags.
>>
I think everybody should get up, because it's time to slam now
>>
>>268685853
sir?
>>
>>268681547
>>268683961
>>268685186
see
>>268685961
>>
>>268685918
This was referenced in Braid. Is Braid an art game?
>>
>>268684072
Wasn't the one about the virginity taking just a ruse to see how many people would actually go see that of it was real?
>>
>>268686223
Auschwitz was truly a masterpiece.
>>
>>268680019
Fucking screen tearing
>>
>>268686180
Gone Home actually had some visual direction and a meaning behind all the walking.
This is just three basketballs in a fishtank. Hell, they didn't even hide the basketball logos.
>>
>>268686228
It creates and shares emotion with multiple people, in this case fascination. It's art on a technical level.
>>
>>268686331
seriously, look up hitlers paintings
>>
>>268686223
In the art of war, yes.
>>
>>268683150
>doesn't have the guts to show how "great" his entire sculpture is

He deserved that spot.
>>
File: 1367703484400.jpg (88 KB, 408x581) Image search: [Google]
1367703484400.jpg
88 KB, 408x581
>>268685961
Called it.
>>
>>268686385
see
>>268682804
>>
>>268686317
I took it at face value because it's something that seems entirely plausible.
>>
>>268686025
Hey, I remember similar shit from Jojo's part5. There was one guy killed, sliced into like 20 pieces and then put in to glass cubes. I wonder who thought of that shit first.
>>268686221
But consumers dont get any money from playing videogames. Do you get money from watching shitstains on the wall or fapping to hands of Mona Lisa?
>>
>>268685071
Grafitti can legitimate art, and the best thing about it is it's free and anonymous. Kind of like 4chan.
>>
>>268686315
It wants to be so bad
>>
>>268681454
Have you heard of Tampon Run?
>>
>>268686571
Huh, well I guess my argument was invalid. I still figured that it was more science then art, but I guess it could just be a science thing.
>>
>>268686223
some of his paintings are good, but it shows he is not really that good whenever he steps out of his comfort zone of large buildings
>>
File: 212021[1].jpg (2 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
212021[1].jpg
2 MB, 1920x1200
>>
>>268686748
No, it's art. It's just that your reasoning was wrong. It's not art because of the emotional response, it's art because the creator claims that it's art.
>>
>>268685853
>YoutubePoops
>deep
This is too retarded to be a bait.
>>
>>268680019
>ctrl+f oven
>no results

i am artistic and unique.. t-thats whyy
>>
File: 1396743139964.jpg (43 KB, 960x574) Image search: [Google]
1396743139964.jpg
43 KB, 960x574
>art
>>
>>268683373
You are most likely right, but that's no excuse for three basket balls floating in an aquarium to be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.
>>
>>268680019
>400k to 600k

Is anyone really stupid enough to pay that?
>>
>>268682167
Three, to be exact.
>>
>>268686596
I wasn't referring to consumers, I was referring to developers. They're going to make the decisions that benefit them, that make them money. If micro transactions give them a better chance to make a profit, they'll take it. If cutting game content out of the final build and releasing them later as DLC promises ongoing interest at the least amount of effort, they'll do it.
Industry isn't about fun, anon.
>>
>>268687037
>that's no excuse for three basket balls floating in an aquarium to be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.
There is no excuse. Some people will pay that much because they're rich and that's what they're willing to pay. Whether or not they're doing it to prove their status or because they love art, or because they've been tricked into thinking they love art is irrelevant and not really provable anyway.
>>
>>268687056
People with more money than they could ever spend want to be entertained for more than a typical drunken orgy lasts, so they buy this expensive shit, from whoever makes the best description of what it really means, so they can tell their friends about it, who may be obvious to the fact that this whole thing is a giant ruse.
>>
File: 1357418609297.jpg (38 KB, 168x251) Image search: [Google]
1357418609297.jpg
38 KB, 168x251
>>268680019
The issue here is, what makes an amalgamation of art a piece of art itself? When someone says a movie is art, they usually refer to the movie's underlying meaning or story, unless I'm uninformed. Maybe also because of their visuals. Certainly most people don't call all movies art, just as all games shouldn't be called art. Games do contain music, visuals, writing, many things that are art, but having art in them doesn't necessarily make the games themselves art.
So what makes a good art game? Obviously Gone Home would be this kind of 2deep4u nonsense art, but are there any games that could be called art in the same way that a play or a painting could?
This is where I lack knowledge to continue.

Does anyone know of any existing games which could be called art?
>>
I know where you wanna go, OP, no, vidya aren't art, and it wouldn't be posting BAD real art that you will make a point for your argument.

Written art is in books, not in comics.
Sculpting art is in sculptures, not in action figures.
Visual art is in painting, not in videogames.

Pretentious self-proclaimed artist who want to make art with garbage, feces and other (s)craps are people like you, who lacks philosophical thinking and visual taste, and don't want to study to develop the first or the second.
This may sound like an insult, but really isn't, believe me, OP, everyone can understand and create great things, so you.
>>
>>268687226
But why not buy actually cool things like kinetic sculptures or expensive cars or a dragon's horde of jewelry? Why buy something that is only conceptually cool?
>>
>>268680019
>implying these are not the 3 balls required to perform the malicious ritual of the fearsome and evil chaos dunk, forever sealed in holy glass, so only the hero who has proven his courage and wisdom can attain their powers to defeat the monstarz
>>
>>268687307
>The issue here is, what makes an amalgamation of art a piece of art itself?
It may make it easier for you to understand by thinking of a piece of art (e.g a movie) as an amalgamation of crafts. The movie as a whole is the art, not just the story. The parts make up the whole piece.
>>
>>268687307

Journey from a visual standpoint.

WarioLand 4 from a game design standpoint.

Hotline Miami as an edgy, social commentary kind of art.

Gone Home as "are we art yet?" kind of art.
>>
What if the balls are signed by famous players?
>>
>>268687307
All games are art. They have art direction. There is a position called 'Art director'. As long as it contains human expression that is conveyed to the viewer, successful or not, it is art.
>>
>>268687574
they are not
>>
File: my lonesome cowboy.jpg (68 KB, 500x699) Image search: [Google]
my lonesome cowboy.jpg
68 KB, 500x699
>you will never build a $15 million statue of Cloud Strife conjuring a jizz tornado
>>
>>268687468
So you can boast your ego and make fools of other people.
>>
The longer I look at it the more this thing is growing on me. Is this what it feels like to be enlightened?
>>
>>268687557
Wario Land 4 felt worse than Wario Land 1 and 2 though

2>1>3>4

inb4 you havent even played visualboy wario lmao
>>
File: 20110223_inq_wizards23-c.jpg (71 KB, 522x450) Image search: [Google]
20110223_inq_wizards23-c.jpg
71 KB, 522x450
>>268684549
>>268680019
I see a triple slam.
>>
>>268687475
I will totally accept that over all the horse shit in the OP
>>
>>268687636
>All games are art. They have art direction. There is a position called 'Art director'.
That is a colloquial use of the word "art" wherein the meaning more closely resembles the word "craft".

>As long as it contains human expression that is conveyed to the viewer, successful or not, it is art.
See:
>>268682804

Video games can be/are art, but not for the reasons you provided.
>>
>>268687574
It cheapens the art with crass commercialism.

So it's somehow worth 20 times as much because it's even deeper and has more metaphors now.
>>
File: 1408055555100[1].png (202 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
1408055555100[1].png
202 KB, 650x650
>>268687740

>it just won't feel right on GBA
>>
>>268685163
I needed that, thanks
>>
>>268684936
>>268685151
And I think you're both dumb faggots trying way too hard to sound intellectual and reading way more into Hatred than is really there.

It's nothing more than darker, edgier, more angsty "your mom hates Dark Space 2" levels of high school fanservice. There is no commentary here, "subversive" or otherwise.

Dumb high school kids spend money on dumb edgy things. Publishers have realized this for decades.
>>
>>268687178
Let me rephrase it, then:
"It's plain dumb deing willing to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for three basket balls floating in an aquarium."
It adds nothing to the "art" debate, but goddammit these thing piss me off.
>>
>>268687652
One of my friends in highschool had a book with that in it. That was a weird experience for a bunch of 14 year olds.
>>
>>268685853
Are youtube poops... pornography?
>>
File: image.jpg (28 KB, 600x449) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28 KB, 600x449
>>268684880
I once went to an O'Keeffe showing for an art class. Her older art isn't my favorite but I respect the technical ability and can get a partial grasp on thought process, and usage of color. Then I saw the posted picture. This is an O'Keeffe from later in her life. This isn't art, this is two-thirds of a division symbol. No meaning, just pseudo-artistic nonsense.
>>
>>268687556
So what makes some movies stand out in the same way stuff like the Mona Lisa stands out over some random guy painting in his free time?
You can't quantify the quality of movies as a whole, so is it just based on whether enough people happen to agree that it's high art? What makes them think that it's high art? What specific qualities of a movie like, I don't know, Fight Club, makes it more artsy than less iconic films?
>>
>>268687948
>It's nothing more than darker, edgier, more angsty "your mom hates Dark Space 2" levels of high school fanservice. There is no commentary here, "subversive" or otherwise.
Reread our posts. That is what we were saying.

Once again, my implication was that the creators would like to think of themselves as being subversive, when really they aren't.
>>
>>268683373
If you're looking at what the piece means to you, instead of what it meant to the artist, then aren't you denying the meaning of said piece? After all, the artist's intent is the reason behind the existance of of art, ignoring it would be equal to ignoring the piece itself since you aren't looking at it the way it's supposed to be looked at.
Unless part of the meaning behind a piece is for it to be looked at in different ways.
>>
>>268687307
MGS2
Shadow of the Colossus
BioShock

They actually make use of the contstraints of the medium to savagely fuck with the player and make a statement, for all three of those it basically amounts to "don't just blindly do what you're told and think for yourself"
>>
File: 07-murakami_hiropon[1].jpg (45 KB, 525x676) Image search: [Google]
07-murakami_hiropon[1].jpg
45 KB, 525x676
>>268687652
fuck man I spent all this time trying to get good pictures of lonesome cowboy and hiropon and you beat me to it. ah well, here's hiropon which sold for $427,500
>>
>>268688068

You don't understand. Its clearly depicting a sunset, except the sun is black. It represents the ever diminishing joy and life in our society as the corporatizationg of our culture continues to encroach upon all that we value as beautiful.
>>
>>268680019

modern art is literally just a money laundering scheme. there is no other reasonable explanation
>>
>>268688118
>my implication was that the creators would like to think of themselves as being subversive, when really they aren't.
I don't even think they believe that. It's all marketing bullshit and it's wroking great.
>>
>>268687709
The basketballs are the only coloured objects in the photograph, so your eyes are naturally drawn to them. Each one is almost perfectly aligned with the others. There are a lot of straight lines and quadrilateral shapes.
It's a very easy image to look at, with enough oddities to keep it engaging. Why basketballs? Why are they in water? Why is the basketball on the right a different colour and brand to the others? What does it mean?
Modern art requires more study into advertising than artistic technique nowadays.
>>
>>268688338
Right. That's why I also said that they might "be lying entirely." (Because they have stated that they're trying to make a commentary, but it does seem more like just trying to be shocking.)
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 83

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.