[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Kickstarter is finally dead.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 13
File: ks.jpg (223 KB, 801x823) Image search: [Google]
ks.jpg
223 KB, 801x823
After so many scams and disappointments people lost all hope for Kickstarter. It seems publishers putting pressure into devs really is necessary to make good games. What do you guys think will happen now?
>>
>kickstarted
>promising something ambitious
>promising is going to be on X platform
>get full pledge
>shit went full of shit or facebook buys it
>>
patreon aka hipster welfare
>>
File: 1410298391973.png (200 KB, 370x370) Image search: [Google]
1410298391973.png
200 KB, 370x370
>lots of kickstarters in a row
>all those devs are now making the kickstarted games
>number of kickstarters falls

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN
>>
>>266610776
>It seems publishers putting pressure into devs really is necessary to make good games
Not "publishers". The people that fund the project putting pressure into devs is necessary.

The problem with Kikestarter is that there is no way for those that fund/pledge to put any kind of pressure, and there's no warranty they will even get anything in return for that matter.
That's rarely the case with traditional publishing.
>>
Was there even a really big kickstarter this year?
>>
>>266610776
Both Star Citizen and Kingdom Come are already funded, so I don't really care about kickstarter anymore.
I got what I needed.
>>
>>266611470
>patreon
Fuck that shit. Latest cancer to show up
>>
>>266610776
Didn't kickstarter recently made a rule that, if the project wasn't meeting expectations, there was an obligation of refund ?

Because that seems to be quite flawless as a system. You pay like, 5$ for a game and you just gotta wait. People bought game just fine before internet and the information boom when every decision mad eby the dev is published and analysed.
>>
>>266610776
Kickstarter has been replaced by Patreon.
>>
Thank fuck, only a handful of games have been not shit from it.
>>
File: 1411350682008.gif (834 KB, 640x419) Image search: [Google]
1411350682008.gif
834 KB, 640x419
>>
>>266610776
I got my Wasteland 2 so no tears will be shed
>>
>>266612171
bretti gud
>>
>>266610776
Dunno, it's a total mystery.

If only someone would invent a system that organizations could use to raise money from the public that created a more stable, uniform relationship between them and their funders. If only there were some kind of, I don't know, "Market" at which people could exchange some kind of certificate that "secured" them something in exchange for their capital. I suppose that's just a pipe dream, though. What he-man could ever accomplish such a thing? Who could even imagine such a system?

Oh, that's right, no one has to, because public equity has existed for hundreds of years and is now more sophisticated than ever.

Seriously though, Kickstarter just gave a friendly "fun" facade to what were ultimately vague and terrible contracts that took advantage of the customer/audience participation zeitgeist. If it were run with anything near a serious ethics policy they would have forced proposals to clearly explain the risks, and basically should have audited them themselves.
>>
>>266611847
why would you make up lies like that

patroen goes to individuals not companies making video games
>>
>>266611774
No, they made a new rule that says "it's YOUR problem with them now, we only deal with the money and thus don't deal with any of hte consequence of any possible discontent from any party".
>>
File: 1386711076196.png (52 KB, 537x445) Image search: [Google]
1386711076196.png
52 KB, 537x445
Must be all those enthusiastic community managers
>>
>>266610776
People who are good at their job never get pressured.
>>
>>266612171

Would back
>>
The problem is that people didn't (still don't) understand what kickstarter actually is. It's a patron site; you give money to artists because you like their work, not because you expect anything in return. But idiots thought it was a store where you pre-order indie games. They were also too stupid to see through hype and promises and evaluate a game idea like a publisher would. Notice how all kickstarters were about how cool their game was going to be, not their plans for staying on track during development, budgeting, rationale for every item on the budget, how they would handle setbacks, and an overall development plan.
>>
>>266612171
As someone who reached master rank in mspaint, I appreciate this gif tremendously.
>>
>>266612171
It looks fun with friends but I am disappointed with the lack of lore.
>>
>>266613765
Pretty much. If I was going to support a kickstarter, I'd completely think of it as a donation with the bonus that a product will probably come later. This is also why I'd probably never ever donate over $50.
>>
>>266612171
That's honestly more work done than some of the successful Kickstarters I've seen where the guy just writes an essay on how he's a "hard worker".
>>
File: face 303.jpg (36 KB, 628x502) Image search: [Google]
face 303.jpg
36 KB, 628x502
>With competition from Steam Early Access

It's not dead, it just changed names.
>>
>>
File: 1411079734101.jpg (41 KB, 640x416) Image search: [Google]
1411079734101.jpg
41 KB, 640x416
Tons of published commercial projects have failed or haven't made certain milestones. You just haven't seen them due to NDA contracts. In my mind the only difference with kickstarter are the obvious crowd funded thing but also the fact that you see behind the curtain and every failed project.

Kickstarter isn't really the problem so much that untalented/unmotivated people happen to be in the majority. I do agree there really hasn't been a good kickstarted funded project other than shovel knight, but even that game seemed overfunded.
>>
>>266610776

dou you /v/ermin even know that kickstart is not just for video games?
>>
Reminder that the only man to successfully Kickstart a game is Matthew Taranto with Tadpole Treble.
>>
>>266613765
>>266614117
Come on, it's not just the user's fault. People on the internet are dumb, but everything about the Kickstarter brand and the way the site is set up is carefully arranged to make vulnerable people feel like they're taking part in something on a personal level. The site deliberately distances itself from the idea that you're a customer buying a contract that will allow you to consume a product in the future.

Think of terms like "Kickstarter" (which sounds more like it's describing a VC than a customer) or "backer" (which implies more of an investment than a transaction), they are hand-picked to make you feel like you're making it happen, like your ultimate relationship with the counterparty is anything other than their customer. Yes, maybe that stuff is buried in their ToS, but people just see that as the legalese they need to use since the law hasn't caught up to them, and KS does nothing to make that their core message.

These flaws aren't incidental, they're built into the brand and the company.
>>
File: 1315324071029.jpg (17 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1315324071029.jpg
17 KB, 500x500
>>266613398
so it's all friends
>>
>>266610776
No suprise, it's been a disaster.
>3.3 million for half a shitty game
>Inafune running another KS for money
>Community managers abusing power and fans told to deal with it
>Numerous scams unfinished
>Wasteland 2 was apparently forgetable as fuck
>PoE looks boring as hell
>Hardly and good looking games
Gee I wonder why.
>tfw I backed PoE instead of ToN
>tfw I couldnt pay for the DivOS KS

Oh and KS just isnt enough money to fund certain games.
>>
im waiting for nintendos final form
>>
>>266614960

>Only mentioning Shovel Knight

Just off the top of my head...

FTL and Wasteland 2
>>
>>266615506

FTL looked like it was already made though, it didn't really need kickstarter.

Wasteland I haven't really played but everyone seems mixed on it so it doesn't feel ike a roaring success.
>>
>>266615720

Well there are more then just those two games. It's just the ones I remember off the top of my head. Plus you never said anything about a "roaring success", you just said good. Wasteland 2 is good. Is it GOTY? No, but it's good.

in fact, there was a list of the successful kickstarted games somewhere...
>>
File: Human Resources.jpg (144 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Human Resources.jpg
144 KB, 640x480
Don't you want to support Uber Entertainment's next game after they delivered awesome games such as Planetary Annihilation and Super Monday Night Combat?
>>
>>266615982
There it is. Fuck those guys
>>
In theory people could start up garage studios again with cheap UE4 tools available now, right?
>>
File: 1404716565579.png (227 KB, 338x349) Image search: [Google]
1404716565579.png
227 KB, 338x349
>>266610776
Holy shit, is that a new amplitude?!
I never thought it would happen after the shitty guitar hero games took off.
>>
>>266615946

I guess my criteria is that most people being happy with what they paid for. "good" just might be too subjective from the one odd person with buyers remorse.
>>
>>266614547
a major crowd sourcing platform is better in hands of steam than a bunch of hipsters
>>
Kickstarter only really works when you're finishing a project, and you need more dosh.

FTL was mostly done when they started their's so when it was funded they got the dosh they needed and finished the project.

A lot of failed Kickstarters are people with "great" ideas for games or whatever that never go anywhere as soon as the realize how much work they'll actually have to do.
>>
>>266615946
>Is it GOTY? No
It's a shitty year, becuase I cant think of candidates aside from Original Sin and Bayo 2.
What a horrible year.
>>
>>266615982
I actually work at Uber. I'm the art director of human resources. I've only been working on concepts for about two months. The entire team behind PA transitioned to this new project aside from one or two community managers instructed to inform the community otherwise. I'm fairly active on reddit myself but who are we kidding, the damage is done.

I fucking hate videogame economica but it is what it is
>>
Wasteland 2 and Divinity are both GOTY.

ket rekt haters.
>>
>>266616725
Gamereleases need to slow down in general.
The industry needs fresh air.
>>
>>266613765
This guy knows it. KS is not a pre-order shop, it's for very enthusiast fans of developers or games in general that also know their shit and wouldn't fall for empty promises easily.
>>
Didn't Kickstarter initiate some policy to make sure people didn't just run off with the money and produce nothing? If that's the case then it would seem obvious there's less money being donated since there's going to be less projects(less projects because the scammers who would start something just for the money are gone).
>>
>>266614963
>/v/ermin
don't do that
>>
>>266610776
>"kickstarters are great!"
>everybody and their mother has a kickstarter
>"kickstarters aren't doing so well nowadays
It's called distribution of wealth or something.
>>
Divinity is the only thing i care about to come off kikestarter.

i'm glad it's dieing, good idea ruined by the real world
>>
>>266617226
this guy gets it.
>>
>>266613765
but for videogames on kickstarter it pretty much is a place to preorder indie games. most kickstarters will give you a copy of the game for free if you donate however much the game is going to cost when it is released.
>>
Free market at work
>>
>>266611710
Divinity is awesome
>>
The only crowd funding project I back was Skullgirl.

The reason I thought it was a safe bet because:

1) They already made the game and is out on market. The campaign was to add new characters.

2)They asked for what many consider too much money to just add more DLC character. To be frank, majority of all kickstarter I ever saw, I always thought they ask for far too little.

3) The head developer Mike Z is a pessimist. You can always trust a pessimist. He was surprise that the campaign raised as much money as it did.
>>
If this mean less retro inspired game i'm all for it... I mean i love retro games but i'd rather have a professional than a random dude who liked castlevania a lot
>>
>>266617328
>i'm glad it's dieing, good idea ruined by the real world
Same, sad how we saw how great it could be (Divinity), but there was just too much shit.
>>
>>266615161
It's not someone's fault that their house got robbed.
But it sure as fuck would have helped if they locked the doors.
>>
>>266612171
would back up with the red paint at the end painted the background
>>
>>266610776
Lot of scam artists and paid off media people turned the kickstarter idea into scam central.

Yeah it happens everyday. Like loan companies scam people, but this was a deliberate attempt to ruin it.
>>
>>266612171
I would play a game with this art style
>>
>>266613061
>>266615161
Underrated posts, this guy has cut to the core of kickstarter and perfectly decribed what it actually is, a way to raise funds in exchange for nothing.
>>
>>266615982
I don't get what's up with Kickstarters from already established dev teams, I mean it's a bunch of guys with no support I get it, but fucking Uber E.? Just learn to PR
>>
>tfw backed La Mulana 2 and I'm going to back Pathologic today
It has its good things. Also as someone pointed out KS is way more than videogames, you can't just assume that reduction applies to the games section too.
>>
>>266617712

Lets be honest, they made it too easy to scam and they kept it that way as long as they got their cut.
>>
>>266617645
>I mean i love retro games but i'd rather have a professional than a random dude who liked castlevania a lot
Thats, not the issue.
It's that their pixel shit is lazy, even by old standards.
Also they are unoriginal as fuck.
>>
>>266615720
> everyone seems mixed on it
you mean the retards who bought it expecting fallout 3 ? It does have flaws, but it's pretty good
Expedition : conquistador, chivalry, divinity, are all pretty good.
>>
>>266615982
The worst part is that this idea seems cool as fuck but I can no longer trust UberEnt to actually accomplish and maintain it.
>>
>>266618032
>you mean the retards who bought it expecting fallout 3

Without this sort of false hype, the game would never get made
>>
>>266611470
Patreon is the most ridiculous shit I have seen in a while
Why anyone would pay some random cunt to make more useless content boggles my mind
>>
Oh yay, potentially good games can no longer become a reality. Fantastic!
>>
>>266617169

perfect name for the mindless member of the hivemind.
>>
>>266618259
Pretty sure reputable devs will still be able to use kickstarter for indie projects.
That's all that matters.

Who gives a shit about highschool fucks with great ideas.
>>
>>266618018
But that's because they are just a random dude that likes castlevania a lot and not a professional
>>
>>266617856
I don't know. Yes, there's a market where investments can be made. But where are all those publicly funded games before Kickstarter? Any of those few notable titles ever reach Star Citizen's funding? Or Double Fine's? What platform could someone just sit there and say "I got a game and I need funding" and receive anything like the treatment and opportunity on Kickstarter? Kickstarter was unpolished and a moneymaker but it worked for the few good projects, the few good projects that are many from any wide reaching platform like this. No bullshit fees, no publisher quotas and timelines, and still offers the developer the chance to export the game to various platforms and make even more money that all goes to them. People can say "well there's this thing called the market" but they forget how the market works and it's not some open range that you can just spit something into and get back millions without backfire, selling away rights, and other obstacles.
>>
>>266618204
they got way more funding than they needed, im sure even without ignorant people backing it they still would have got enough to make the game
>>
File: CostBreakdown.jpg (192 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
CostBreakdown.jpg
192 KB, 600x337
>>266617634
Forgot my image. But everyone was crying foul that 1 dlc character was so expensive.

People think game development is cheap. Alot of amateur developer who get their game funded by kickstarter ask for far too little and and underestimate the cost of everything.

Hell even long time dev in the industry fail because they don't deal with money. It usually the publisher's job. Shit like Inufune and Schaffer happen cause they never had the skills to handle a budget properly.
>>
>only kickstart comic books & some artbooks + other fun items
>only been burned once out of 50 bucks

kickstarting games is more sketchy i would imagine. Books are easier.

plus its nice to know im 1 of 72 people in probably the entire world to own a copy of a certain book. makes me feel like a treasure hunter.
>>
>>266618247
Because to them it's not useless. Some people just have money to spare and decide, hey, this guy entertained me for free for a long time, might as well donate. Oh look, I get some bonus shit for it too, whatever. I understand if you don't like the content but there are reasons people do things.
>>
File: 1411150178495.gif (2 MB, 334x357) Image search: [Google]
1411150178495.gif
2 MB, 334x357
>>266610776
>mfw i have never donated to a kikestarter
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.