[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I was around when the sega Dreamcast was big but then it juts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 6
File: sega-dreamcast.jpg (30 KB, 580x480) Image search: [Google]
sega-dreamcast.jpg
30 KB, 580x480
I was around when the sega Dreamcast was big but then it juts faded off into oblivion.

What was it specifically that caused this system to die? The content was great, passionate fan following, wide distribution, what happened?
>>
>>266370258
It was expensive for consumers, as well as Sega.
>>
>>266370258
The dreamcast did just fine. Sega was too in debt from their blunders from the end of the megadrive era and the sega saturn.
>>
File: image.jpg (936 KB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
936 KB, 2592x1936
>>266370258
Sony.

Fuck Sony. I will never forget that you killed the Dreamcast, and thusly, killed off innovation in games in general.
>>
>>266370947

Sony did not kill the Dreamcast. Sega's decision to not allow DVD playback in the Dreamcast killed the Dreamcast.
>>
>>266370258
Piracy. No?
>>
>>266371148
>Sega's decision to not allow DVD playback in the Dreamcast killed the Dreamcast.

What crap.

The idea that the PS2 was the cheapest DVD player on the market when it was released is a myth, it was about $100 more expensive than the average price of a DVD player.
>>
>>266371338

Piracy: the last refuge of the losing console warrior. Didn't you Sega fags learn anything from Sonic Adventure 2? Live and learn.
>>
>>266371418

A DVD player $100 more than the average unit that played Metal Gear, Grand Theft Auto, Final Fantasy, and ALL of your PS1 games. So do you think people bought the DVD player or the PS2?
>>
Four factors (really 3 and a consequence of one):

1. The hole Sega was digging themselves out of as a result of the Saturn's market failure was too deep.

1a. The PS2 had Sony's advertising behind it and overshadowed the DC.

2. Anyone with the means to could pirate games for the Dreamcast effortlessly.

3. EA had no interest in the DC (deny this as part of it if you must but it has a major impact no matter how you look at it).
>>
>>266371446
And how they go to plus from each console you think?
>>
>>266371418
You're right. The PS2 did cost more than a regular DVD player but the PS2 also played games. It was an easy way for kids to convince their parents to buy them a game console. 'This one doubles as a DVD player!' A lot of families hadn't purchased a DVD player yet at that time
>>
>>266371536

You really think the fact that the PS2 played DVDs was what killed the Dreamcast?

Anyone who cared about DVDs had probably already bought a player by then and anyone who hadn't probably didn't care about either DVDs or games.

Let me ask you this, do you think the PS3s success was due to the fact it had a bluray player in it? Oh, that's right, it wasn't a success until it got some damn games.
>>
>>266370258
I don't remember, I just remember playing my dad's dreamcast when I was 5 and then at one point he sold it to someone and I never knew why. I can remember the game I played all the time though, it was some kind of Shmup with a bunch of anime girls in it. Anyone know what it might have been?
>>
>Dreamcast thread
>SOMEONE always suggests Sonic Adventure

EVERY FUCKIN' TIME.
>>
>>266371823
Dead or Alive?
>>
>>266371873
Nice game complete it on my first PC.
Fuck that big fisher cat and his frog.
>>
>>266370258

PS2
Sega fucking up everything between the Genesis and this system
Shenmue
EA being cunts
Infighting between Sega of Japan and Sega of America
>>
>>266371812

Bluray =/= DVD. DVD was a huge jump from VHS, Bluray was more marginal. And yes, it's pretty obvious that DVD jettisoned the PS2 into ridiculous sales. And as is sold more, more third parties jumped aboard which spurned even more sales.
>>
>>266371891
dead or alive was a fighting game. This was a shoot'em up
>>
>Japan trusted Sony more
>EA refused to work with Sega (this goes back a long ways to when EA was first getting on to consoles but the main catalyst was Sega/2k Sports Franchises)
>The Dreamcast was the easiest console to pirate games on ever
>Sega's past failures finall caught up to them
>Sega Arcade revenue went to shit as arcades died in the West
>>
>what happened?

Before the dreamcast even launched Sega had majorly fucked themselves with the 32X, Sega CD and Saturn.

The dreamcast itself is garbage hardware, they were built like total shit and were widely prone to failures, mainly in disk reading (much like the PS2). The system also had no piracy protection meaning you could literally burn a game to CD and play it.
>>
>>266372321
>Sega Arcade revenue went to shit as arcades died in the West

This is what a lot of people seem to forget. Sega thrived on arcades and when they started dying out in the west they took a major hit
>>
>>266370947
Sega could've been a good second if it wasn't for Nintendo.

It's unfair how Nintendo can make one blunder after another and not go out of businnes, while an actual good company like Sega had the pay the ultimate price.
>>
>>266372394
>Saturn

Didn't the Saturn do alright in japan? I know it basically bombed in America due to how it was released
>>
File: madden95.jpg (48 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
madden95.jpg
48 KB, 640x640
>>266372038
The hate between EA and Sega is wa older than Dreamcast.The reason EA went with Genesis over SNES is because they got a favorable licensing deal after reverse engineering the Genesis themselves. That's why EA could make their own carts for Genesis. when Dreamcast came around Sega thought they were big shit again and tried to end the special exception for EA. EA said fuck that so Sega said fine we will make our own sports line. Sega Sports/2k Sports are still a thorn in EA's side today.
>>
>>266371148
>Sega's decision to not allow DVD playback in the Dreamcast killed the Dreamcast.

DVD's were not relevant when Dreamcast launched, meanwhile the PS2 launched at the right time to take advantage of the DVD boom.
>>
>>266370258
There is literally no reason to own one of these once they finally port Skies of Arcadia and Shenmue 1&2 to PSN and Xbox Live.
>>
>>266371812
One of the reason I bought a PS2 was because it can play DVDs.
>>
>>266372656
>It's unfair how Nintendo can make one blunder after another and not go out of businnes
How is sega completely botching the 32X, Sega CD and saturn, unfair?

They made and released 3 major blunders, it's their own fault they went out of business.
>>
>>266371812
>Anyone who cared about DVDs had probably already bought a player by then and anyone who hadn't probably didn't care about either DVDs or games.

You're 100% ignorant of the situation, stop posting.
>>
>>266372656

Sega fucked up every console after the dreamcast.

The only things you can really count as blunders for Nintendo are the Virtual Boy and the Wii U for a while. Not to mention NoA and NoJ knew how to work together as opposed to Sega
>>
>>266372970
*After the genesis
>>
>>266372687
I think the perfect way of summing up the saturn is looking back at how it launched in the US.

>In March 1995, Sega of America CEO Tom Kalinske announced that the Saturn would be released in the U.S. on "Saturnday" (Saturday) September 2, 1995. However, Sega of Japan mandated an early launch to give the Saturn an advantage over the PlayStation. Therefore, at the first Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles on May 11, 1995, Kalinske gave a keynote presentation for the upcoming Saturn in which he revealed the release price at US$399 (including a bundled copy of Virtua Fighter), and described the features of the console. Kalinske also revealed that, due to "high consumer demand", Sega had already shipped 30,000 Saturns to Toys "R" Us, Babbage's, Electronics Boutique, and Software Etc. for immediate release.

Even people working on software for the fucking system didn't know it launched.
>>
Could the Dreamcast ever comeback as a current gen console or would it just be a ploy for nostalgia at that point?
>>
>>266372656
>It's unfair how Nintendo can make one blunder after another and not go out of businnes, while an actual good company like Sega had the pay the ultimate price.

There's two factors at work here, 1) Sega fucked themselves with previous console failures, so people & companies didn't trust them 2) Nintendo has more passionate/devoted fans who don't expect much from them
>>
>>266373331
Nostalgia.

It really wouldn't work when you have Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft in the market now .Plus I highly doubt Sega has the money for it
>>
>>266373427
How do you get more passionate than buying $300 system add-ons with a 20 game library?
>>
>>266373427
3)Nintendo have made smart decisions in the past, allowing them to fuck up and still be able to maintain their business.

Sega goofed literally goofed their way from 1992-1998.
>>
File: 1339677255067.gif (431 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1339677255067.gif
431 KB, 640x360
>>266373331
>Yakuza 6
>Phantasy Star Online 3
>Jet Set Radio 2
>New Sonic
>Phantasy Star V
>Shenmue III
>Project Diva F3nd

A men can dream, they got enough big franchises to be a big player in the market, but outside of that I doubt it.
>>
>>266372970
Wii U was originally a blunder but they've made up for it by cheap cost and more games. But yes, Nintendo could of potentially got into trouble without riding their main franchises while they scavenged for what little 3rd party support they've acquired.
>>
File: 1397188467584.gif (85 KB, 269x200) Image search: [Google]
1397188467584.gif
85 KB, 269x200
>>266372952
>Choosing the sentence that outlined a part of his arguement
>Not putting his arguement with it to make yourself look smarter

No. You get out.
>>
>>266373746
Nintendo would never go out of money, they could however become irrelevant.

Though, especially in America, there is a huge userbase riding their dick solely because of nostalgia.
>>
I would REALLY suggest reading Console Wars by Blake J Harris. The story is told in a weird way (like anyone remembers word for word conversations from back then) but it really highlights how Sega of Japan jealousy killed Sega in America.
>>
>>266373697
They won't even bring that stuff to us now
>Yakuza
>Phantasy Star Online
>Jet Set Radio
>Shenmue III
>>
>>266372754
>the PS2 launched at the right time to take advantage of the DVD boom.
The PS2 WAS the DVD boom. The format was irrelevant until PS2 hit the market, much like PS3 and Blu-ray.
>>
>>266373849
True.

Between the nostalgia users of America and the handheld users of Japan they still have a niche fan base.
>>
>>266370258
Playstation 2
>>
>>266373938
>reading
>videogames

Motherfuckers on this site can't even play videogames, how the fuck do you expect them to read about them.
>>
>>266374342
piratebay and amazon has book on tape
>>
>>266374221
I think what saves Nintendo is the fact that family and kids specifically have always been their market. Sega shot for the teens and adults and it worked. The thing is Sony made Sega look just as kiddie as Nintendo and Sega couldn't recover from that (they almost did with the Dreamcast marketing campaign but Sony BTFO of them with PS2's ad campaign). Microsoft would eventually do the same thing to Sony in the US.

Nintendo's message has never strayed from family friendly
>>
>>266374094

Maybe for Japan there is strong evidence for that but not so much for America.

In 2000 10% of households had a DVD players, in 2002 it 40%, in 2004 it was 75%. That was not just people all buying PS2s.

It's mostly credited to the fact that DVD players plummeted in price during the same period, what used to cost $300+ dropped to less than $100.
>>
File: 1402157687244.jpg (22 KB, 274x409) Image search: [Google]
1402157687244.jpg
22 KB, 274x409
>>266373795
His entire argument has no backing and if you weren't a child and had actually been of age back then you would know it.

The PS2 was a significant part of the DVD boom because people could get a console for the kids and a DVD player for themselves in one device. and lets go over one of the other dumb lines he threw in there...
>anyone who hadn't probably didn't care about either DVDs or games.

DVD's didn't overtake VHS in sales and rentals until about 2002/03, meaning most people didn't have dvd players or necessarily care about dvd's when the PS2 released.

>Oh, that's right, it wasn't a success until it got some damn games.

No one gave a fuck about Bluray when PS3 came out, and didn't even a few years later. You're right on one angle, games is the only reason anyone cared about PS3 - which is why it's sold about half of what the PS2 did.
>>
>>266374996
>Microsoft would eventually do the same thing to Sony in the US.

Not really. MS was just a more dudebro version of PS, but they still fundamentally thrive in the same market.
>>
>>266376062
That's what i meant. The 360 managed to steal the teens and 20 something year olds in the US and UK the same way Sony did but it seems they gave them back with the Xbox One.
>>
>>266376203
Well that's because the PS3 had a horrible launch and the price was stupid high.

The Xbone is Microsoft's PS3 and even with the price drop and no kinect they can't really recover from that damage. They can't even win over japan.
>>
>>266370258
>Not enough disc space
>Lack of a 2nd analog stick
>Poor marketing
>Not enough support from devs
As much as I like dreamcast, I think the gamecube replaced it perfectly. PS2 was a shitty system with permanent interlacing and aliasing tho.
>>
>>266376441
Internationally Playstation was still stronger. Just US and UK turned into Xbox countries. I have no idea what the split between PS4 and Xbox One is in US and UK though.
>>
>>266370258
Shenmue killed the Dreamcast by being a huge piece of shit that didn't sell well despite having a fuckton of dosh poured into developmen.
>>
>>266376630
It would have been impossible for that game to make a profit. Every Dreamcast owner would have had to buy more than one copy of the game for it to even break even
>>
>>266376203

The 360 didn't steal a specific age group, Microsoft released the console earlier than the PS3 and for $100 cheaper so most people who weren't weaboos made the transfer.

Sony were arrogant, just like Nintendo used to be and Microsoft was for this generation.

I don't know why these companies never seem to realize just how precarious their market positions are. They always seem to assume once you've got them for one generation you've got them forever. Apple's learning that lesson too.
>>
>>266376630
>Shenmue
>shit
nah fuck you.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.