[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Guys, I need help with this video game I got Tactics Ogre for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 10
File: tactics ogre.jpg (22 KB, 220x311) Image search: [Google]
tactics ogre.jpg
22 KB, 220x311
Guys, I need help with this video game
I got Tactics Ogre for the PSP, played a few missions, and I already feel like I'm doing shittily. Are there any simple tips anyone can give me/point me to?

First thing I did was change the MC to a Berzerker with fist weapons, but that didn't actually seem to help anything. His hit ratio is never higher than 50% and he doesn't do a hell of a lot of damage either

Secondly, is there any way to give like orders to the 2 units who are with you ever battle? The cleric girl in particular is a dick since she heals fuckers who don't need it instead of destroying the undead who will get up the very next turn

And Fire Emblem games always have a way where you can tell an enemy unit's thread range, is there anything like that here? The tutorial said nothing and I don't have a manual.

Right now my archers are the only ones useful, especially against enemy mages. In a Fire Emblem game I would just ride a mounted unit in to kill mages, but here they move as fast as all my melee units, so the archers are the only ones who can catch up and kill them. In fact, I sort of want to make the party entirely archers and Knights. Archers to do damage, knight to take damage and heal, with like maybe 1 cleric to kill undead and one mage for reasons.
>>
>>263557215
Also, is this the sort of game where I should expect everyone to die? It seems everyone can die at least 3 times, but I'm in the Fire Emblem mindset where death is a failure
>>
>>263557215
Please, you gotta help me
>>
>>263557215
The AI allies are only around for a few map don't worry about it.
Make sure to give the rights skills to your characters, if one dude use swords give him the sword skill and related melee skills.
Level are per class, when you use berserker for the first time it's lv1, you will have trouble hitting higher level enemies until you get some level, having more characters with the same class level faster.

You gonna suck early game, archer are OP for the whole game ninja + archer dead squad fuck everything up

knights are slow as shit tank, get some warriors.

>>263557889
You can do a full play with 0 death, it's easy with the tarot and 3 turns to rez
>>
1.this isn't fire emblem, it requires actual tactics until you get OP in post game, although the game is not without its frustrating or unfair bits.
2. you can check the move of an enemy and the equipped weapons range on their status screen,I think there is a way to get the red radius thing, but it shouldn't be much of an issue.

3. firsts are probably the best weapon for berserkers, level up the skill with fists and get better fist weapons, it takes time, fists are mainly good because they are light, and the lighter you are the more turns you will get which is very important in tactics ogre, it's often optimal to ignore armor and just run around naked.
4. you can give general commands to NPCs like stay back or attack I think, In general you'll just have to deal with them. they are better than nothing, the only time they are an issue is when you have to save them like cistina or whatever sister it was.
5. yes archers both bows and crossbows are broken in this game, what's worse is the game is hard enough so you will probably need to use ( if not abuse) them to get though if you are not an expert.

some general tips, daggers are excellent weapons, not bow tier but they are very strong once you are far into the game, you will want someone with blunt weapons like hammers too to deal with knights rock men etc. Dark magic is probably the best magic for early game. GIVE A CLERIC A LOBBER AND FIELD ALCHEMY BUY SOME MAGIC BOMBS this really helps their effectiveness, and also only bother upgrading weapons the boost is good but it is too tedious to craft upgraded armor or items.
>>
>>263558654
Alright nigga. Mc stays as a soldier. You soldier gets good abilities when you level it up. Archers are OP they break the game early on, but late game dark and light magic along with buffs are where it's at. Use a guide so you don't miss any characters, I remember there being a faq on in that was really good. You can't order the guests around so use exorcism scrolls to kill downed undead. Heal also does damage to undead. Don't do the quest at the fortress as soon as you unlock it that's a sidequest and you won't be ready for it just yet.
>>
>>263557889
death isn't much of an issue, when someone loses all their hp they are downed for 3 turns and can be revived, if they do die after the 3 turns they lose a heart and every character has THREE HEARTS if they do run out of hearts you still get to give their skills to another unit so if it's a generic not much is lost as classes level up. focus more on reviving because they will be useful if revived but don't freak out if someone is downed. Honestly people dying should be pretty rare, just protect MC and try not to let everyone get downed.
>>
>>263559001
>3 turns to rez
But I don't think I can learn rez yet
>>263559043
>it requires actual tactics
Please don't start a fanwar. I got into this game because I liked FE and people said it was also a TBT game
>and the lighter you are the more turns you will get which is very important in tactics ogre
I seem to remember the tutorial saying that if I moved less, my turn would come up earlier, true?
Also, this game had a DOGSHIT tutorial
>GIVE A CLERIC A LOBBER AND FIELD ALCHEMY BUY SOME MAGIC BOMBS
I'm on a mission where I'm assaulting a fuckhuge tower with a necromancer and skellies. I don't think I can find those yet

Also, there are a bunch of skills that "make it easier to recruit" bitches, is there recruiting units on the map like in FE? Or just in towns?
>>
File: fortress of zambamboes.jpg (115 KB, 960x544) Image search: [Google]
fortress of zambamboes.jpg
115 KB, 960x544
>>263559607
>Don't do the quest at the fortress as soon as you unlock it that's a sidequest and you won't be ready for it just yet.
I think it's the only quest open
>>
>>263559607
MC is fine as a berserker, I generally keep him as a one handed sword user even though that is a garbage weapon class because he gets access to lombrodia, the only elemental weapon until late/post game without doing crazy sidequests, and it is very strong. The worrier class doesn't get many exceptional abilities it's just a gimped archer class, sanguine assult is much better than mightly impact. and if denam becomes a lord it is better for him to have skills from many classes,
>>
>>263559924
You can recruit any enemy unit besides unique ones using the recruit skill. If their hp is sub 10% and the recruiting unit is right next to the enemy unit you'll have only a decent chance. You might want to grind the class's your using up for a but but the battles at the hill can be hard with the lizardmen.
>>
>>263560190
Go back to the castle.
>>
Just remember.
lawful =/= good
chaos =/= evil

>>263559924
You can buy rez consumable in shops.
The tutorials are actually really fucking big, play guide under warren report.
>>
File: fuck you niggers.jpg (82 KB, 960x544) Image search: [Google]
fuck you niggers.jpg
82 KB, 960x544
>>263560190
And why do I have to learn a whole new language every time I play a fucking video game.
>>
File: pic_0067.png (575 KB, 847x479) Image search: [Google]
pic_0067.png
575 KB, 847x479
>>263557215
Berserker is not an accurate class and you switched denam to a weapon type he has no skill at making him even less accurate and weaker

AI characters are purely AI, just ignore them and don't let them die. You stop having them soon enough.

You have 3 turns to res someone who gets knocked out or beat the battle and they can survive not being revived 3 times, it's what those hearts stand for.

Archers are OP and can do good damage against most things without their weapon skills high, but they also scale less from their weapon skill. The strongest weapon type is daggers, then ninja swords, then I forget. Also 1h is almost always better than 2h since you can either dual wield or use a shield and 2h weapons don't scale enough to make up for that. But it doesn't matter ultimately since anything is good enough after you have skills setup and know how to play
>>
>>263560736
>Not learning French.
Dégoutant.
>>
>>263560406
>You can recruit any enemy unit besides unique ones using the recruit skill.
How can I know if they're unique? It looks like all humanoids get a name
>>
>>263560387
Muh dubs strike though. In all honesty I only keep him as a warrior for the first 2 chapters. I'll change him to a berserker or mage then to teach him skills for when I get the Lord mark.
>>
>>263560559
I did that and got a new quest, yay
>>263560780
I gave him the fists skill though
>>
>>263560942
They have their own entry in the game encyclopaedia, have some dialogues and don't use generic portraits.
>>
OP, I quit Tactics Ogre and every Matsuno game I've played for the simple reason that after a while it becomes an attrition war between resistances/buffs/debuffs. Positioning ceases to matter after your characters get immune to death. Or you can place them as cunningly as possible and they all die in one turn to some AoE spells.

Writing is top notch, art style is good if chibi, and class change is a chore and probably put in as padding since your units are then useless for several grindy battles.
>>
>>263560942
If they talk, have a unique portrait or are a boss they usually are a unique.

Tactics ogre is a game that you really have to read about in order to get into.
>>
>>263560736
L, R, and select are your best friends usually when you don't know what something does press one of them.
>>
File: 1332962043316.jpg (78 KB, 770x720) Image search: [Google]
1332962043316.jpg
78 KB, 770x720
>>263561245
Did you even play the game?
>>
>>263559924
I'm a big fan of fire emblem but save for thracia 776 the games are a cakewalk, I'm just saying even with a team of archers don't exspect to sweep though every map with just a couple of near invincible units until post game, unless you grind the shit out of skills, use the best units, classes and weapons, and only level just enough so enemies don't scale with you. TO and FE really aren't similar at all besides being in the same genre.
2. yes that is true, staying still, not moving as far as your full move allows or now attacking or preforming an action will make your turn come faster. Individual units and classes also have a base speed that you'll probably need to look up a guide for, ozma is the fastest I think.
3. you are very early in the game and at this point you shouldn't be having much trouble are you using canopus? does he have a crossbow? If you are really struggling at this point the game may not be for you, that and I recommend taking the law route if you make it there as it is slightly easier than the chaos route.
>>
File: pic_0061.png (484 KB, 847x479) Image search: [Google]
pic_0061.png
484 KB, 847x479
>>263561090
At level 0, which isn't going to do much. Fists are an ok weapon, but Denam has much better options. If you want to plan ahead you should just make him use daggers now, they're his best weapon end game.

Also this won't be useful advice for right now, but in a couple chapters certain enemies on certain maps will have skills at higher than 2 or 3, I think going as high as 4 or 5 on some end game maps. You can recruit these characters (humans only iirc for this to work), murder them off and then transfer their skill to someone else. It's a nice way to boost someone if you wanted to change their job or just give them more side skills. Much like it was possible in FFT, just easier to do here.
>>
>>263561090
Make sure to select the option to say that we have to save the girl when your presented with the option of rescuing her. If your having trouble strip canopus of everything and have him run ahead and take aggro/give her a mending leaf.
>>
>>263561840
>so enemies don't scale with you
OK FUCK THIS GAME SO HARD
LEVEL SCALING IS FOR NIGGERS AND BETHESDA
God dammit
>>
File: pic_0081.png (163 KB, 480x272) Image search: [Google]
pic_0081.png
163 KB, 480x272
>>263561245
>change everyone's class to a new class
>enjoy free stats for leveling up said class

Also git gud at breaking the game.
>>
>>263561245
This could be you one day OP get gud or your gonna get dumb.

this is some pretty strong hyperbole. although certainly true to an extent, planning beforehand so you have proper skills classes magic equipment etc is often more important than positioning but don't worry about your whole party getting wiped out with a single spell or being invincible until well after you beat the game and only if you build your characters perfectly lol.

often times the greatest hurdle in TO is just being able to do respectable damage.
>>
>>263562129
Only if you grind like a manic. If your like 10 or so levels above the enemy they get beefed up a bit to be harder. If you keep going and leveling up though they stay at their hard variant.
>>
>>263561840
Ozma and Ravness are both the fastest characters.

>>263562129
Maps have minimum and maximum levels. Or at least story maps have maximums. It takes a fucking long time to level up a single class too far and it's level won't affect anything if its not present in a fight. So you can have 5 lvl 50s and one lvl 1 class, if only the lvl 1 class enters battle the enemies will be lvl 1
>>
>>263562129
what's worse is that THIER EQUIPMENT SCALES AND WEAPONS ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAN STATS. if you over level to much you will find yourself fighting enimies the same level as you with much more powerful weapons you don't have access to. there is a sweet spot where you can be like 5 levels ahead and they won't scale but you will have to look it up to be safe.
>>
>>263560736
MUH LORE
>>
>>263563040
I've always found ozma to be faster but that's probably due to my choice of weapons for each of them.
>>
>>263563239
Hmm, she may have been slightly faster then. I know the blind guy is also about on par with them
>>
File: talk.jpg (159 KB, 960x544) Image search: [Google]
talk.jpg
159 KB, 960x544
Also, HOW do I talk with units? Is it under action? Because I haven't seen it come up automatically when I'm next to enemy units
>>
>>263564208
You have to get the skill Recruit under Knight
>>
>>263563160
The lore isn't even that good so far
The people of Bambi were all slaughtered by the knights of Foreign and the Empire of Ollywoolybingbangboom, but now our enemies are the knick knacks and the ballysacks so go make a truce with the Knights and who gives a fuck just give me a new map

At least in FE:PoR it gave me people to care about before dumping story on me so I would be invested. I'm skipping most of the cutscenes now. Also, none of these people talk like real people
>>
>>263564208
Get the specific skill to recruit that race.

You have to be right next to them and they have to be in low health. If you level up the skill a few times I think you can use it from a square away and hp doesnt have to be as low.

>>263564710
Maybe you should try paying attention
>>
>>263562129
their levels scale but their gear stops eventually and most stats come from gear

that's the reason why valkyries go from dealing single digit damage to dealing 5 x damage cap in an aoe by post game
>>
>>263559043
>It requires actual tactics

brb just gonna win the game with archers and that one OP hawk guy character.
>>
Mechanically how good is the psp remake compared to the original?
>>
>>263564432
>>263564432
clerics can get it too recruiting can be quite useful not just for them but for their equipment and the extra help for that map. use the chariot as much as you can and just re-position for another chance ( this also goes for when an enemy blocks your attack or something) different characters have different loyalty you can check and I believe talking with a member of the same clan will help. your chances are higher if they are severely wounded and you are right next to them and talking from behind them just like attacking.
>>
>>263564993
> BRB soloing por with ike with no skill management requited
> BRB wreaking everything with luna/ flyers/seth/ anyone in fire emblem.

>>263564710
stop playing the game isn't autistic enough for you. this isn't fire emblem, go play fire emblem if you want fire emblem.
>>
File: The_Magic_Mirror.jpg (85 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
The_Magic_Mirror.jpg
85 KB, 1440x1080
Which is the most tactical game of all?
>>
>>263565051
better in every way except arguably the new class system, as this means you will get named units at level 1 and will need to grind them.
>>
>>263565673

nintendo wars and military madness are the only tbsrpg with good multiplayer so in pure tactics those. In terms of tactfully building up a team, it's tactics ogre/FFT only thing that holds them back is balance issues.
>>
What do soldiers get for skills besides mighty impact
>>
>>263565561
>> BRB soloing por with ike with no skill management requited
You've never played FE, have you?
>>
>>263566650
Oh wow you're such a casual you don't even know that ike will almost always max all his stats save for luck in POR and can actually sweep every map on his own. It doesn't even matter what skills he has save for aeither and nihil if you are worried about the black knight fight. you might need a couple elixers/ concoctions.
>>
>>263565561
>stop playing the game isn't autistic enough for you
Dude, all I'm saying is dumping a history book on your ass in the tutorial is NOT good storytelling

Next you'll tell me FF12 was the pinnacle of writing
>>
>>263565768
Or just change them to a useful class. Infact I prefer saving any character's unique classes at 1 to give them higher stats easily
>>
>>263566650
Ike can literally solo both FE games he's in though. The agility is real
>>
>>263567295
LUCT is not the first tactics ogre, the backstory you're looking for is in the warren report but it's not relevant to what Denam is doing currently
>>
>>263568218
can't solo radiant dawn because he isn't available in all chapter lol

>>263567295
We get it the game is too hard for you and you're too ADD, autistic, or straight up dumb to appreciate it. if you don't enjoy it play something else, the industry is pandering to casuals like yourself today you have plenty of options.
>>
>>263564827
>Get the specific skill to recruit that race.
I have recruit for Humans (anatomy?) still no option
>>
>>263568765
>We get it the game is too hard for you
Stop projecting, nigger
It's hardly an original story anyway, being poorly told ON TOP OF THAT is just the icing on the cake

Stop getting so mad at videogames and realize that your favorite one is still as poorly written as the rest of them
>>
>>263569070
Anatomy is damage against humans
>>
>>263569259
it also helps with the recuit skill for humans, and the other monster anatomy skills helps when recruiting them

>>263569247
> projecting
>nigger

you're so mad you can't even think straight how am I projecting that the game is too hard for me? I clearly know what i'm doing in it, you're the one begging for help in one of the early chapters. everyone has praised LUCT story and dialogue and you're so early you don't even know anything about it yet are already judging that it's shit because it isn't fire emblem like you thought it would be.

the story in fire emblem is often pretty shitty and recycled every time ( muh old heros sealed dragons/demon away do what they did again) BTW and most characters don't even get any development or scenes in the main story after the chapter you recruit them in. All they have are supports which are very hit or miss and most games don't even have them.
>>
>>263570530
Jesus Christ kid, you are really mad that someone insulted your favorite video game. Is there so little of value in your life you must defend the STORY and WRITING of a video game this vehemently?
>>
>>263573020
> pfft nothing personal kid my aspergers is making me act like a fucking retard and blame the game for my own ineptitude. " this game is too hard so you know what it's not even worth playing! sure i'm at the very beginning and have no idea what i'm doing but the writing is bad! it's too confusing! I wish I was at home sniffing thrajas butt."

you're an idiot, we gave you the tips you asked for. If you don't like the game don't play it, but you're reasons for not liking it make you come off as an autistic casual manchild. I'm not going to respect you, but you are free to believe and do what you want.
>>
Fuck the arguing.
Post your favorite not overpowered combo
>terror knight wades into enemy frontline
>lament of the dead
>5 or more enemies neutered for a few turns

also thank god enemy monsters AI is too dumb to abuse throwing boulders
>>
Denim is an ass and so is the Xenobian
>>
>>263557215
get at least two archers, learn the hit bonus skill for each unit and you're ready to enjoy the game
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.