[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT Design a horror game thats scary that has no jump scares.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 14
File: man in black.png (305 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
man in black.png
305 KB, 1024x576
ITT Design a horror game thats scary that has no jump scares.
>>
>>260548559
>no jump scares

My idea is one I stole from some OP on /v/ who wanted to make a horror game where you are driving through the dark woods

It wouldn't need to rely on jump scares, it can be really subtle
like maybe there will be a face in your rear view mirror, but its so subtle you get scared when you suddenly do realize what you are looking at
>>
>>260548559
You are teleported to the land of /b/ and have to stay there forever.
>>
Alright, there are jump scares, but they are really lazy. not cheaply done, no, the monster just isn't that much in the mood. as the player you're constantly dreading the moment until the monster snaps, but it never happens.
>>
File: new-hampshire-day-1-031.jpg (29 KB, 448x336) Image search: [Google]
new-hampshire-day-1-031.jpg
29 KB, 448x336
>>260548940

>Strange lights over head
>Movement in the trees
>Static on the radio
>>
>>260549651
It could be so cool

atmosphere is always whats scares me anyway

stuff like blood on walls in SH is enough to make me wonder how did all the blood get there.
>>
>>260549651
>>260550094

>Hitchhiker by the side of the road
>Offer them a ride
>Have conversation with them
>Find out their name
>After a certain amount of silence you turn your head and realize they're not in the car anymore
>Radio report comes in of the person you picked up being killed on that road
>>
>>260550643
ITS THE RAIL TRACER
>>
>>260548559
This is why we need a good skinwalker game.
>>
Have the scares always be there, just in the distance or so subtle you have to actually focus on them.
And then you realize what you're looking at.
>>
>>260548559
Dont know but all of my dreams are like Video Games for whatever reason and last night I had a dream where I went to go and investigate this completely abandoned city. Cant remember why but I do remember I was looking for something and apparently had some history with this place.

Barely anybody lives there anymore because of spooky shit going on in the backround and the people who do while not necessarily hostile are very very "odd". Doesn't seem too scary until I went to sleep because apparently the game has a tiredness state that you have to reduce by sleeping.

Going to sleep in this fucking place seems to transport you into some kind of "Dark World" version of the city that is very surreal. So for instance I go to sleep and wake up at a round table in the apartment that I slept at and all the people who I talked to during the day are sitting around the table and staring at me. The apartment is completely pitch black except for this one lamp above the table which illuminates all of us and the table but nothing else. The only person who seems to exclusively appear in the dark world is this strange woman who seems to be at the center of shit going wrong. Me and her talked about something and she was saying all this cryptic shit about me, as in she seemed to know a lot about the protagonist.

She brought in this little dog who jumped on my lap and nuzzled up against me but was covered in scabbed up scares and shit.

Hold on I will continue this in a reply.
>>
Darkwood.
>>
>>260549651
like truck driving simulator, but in a car, in the night, and extra moody
perfect
>>
>>260548559
Maybe something revolving around paralysis where your character will get stuck and you have to look at just barely visible creatures standing on the other side of the room?
>>
>>260551302
>>260549651
This is actually a game, I can't recall the name, but it's for the Oculus Rift.

Basically it's you on an open road in the country side, and your trying to escape these monsters
>Scavenge from abandoned gas stations
>Scavenge supplies and car parts in abadoned hotels and shit

If I recall the monsters were just big spiders, but it was very neat.
>>
>>260551302
wait
It does exist?!
>>
File: euro-truck-simulator-2.jpg (43 KB, 750x427) Image search: [Google]
euro-truck-simulator-2.jpg
43 KB, 750x427
>>260551647
fuck
>>
>>260549651
>>260550643

>Mutilated deer by the side of the road
>Drive past an old factory that's clearly been abandoned for years, with the exception of a single light from an upstairs window and a figure moving past it
>>
Explore a town at night where everyone has apparently been replaced with immobile mannikins. You walk around and see creepy still scenes, like a mannikin apparently walking into the town lake, a mannikin going into it's child's room, a mannikin writing weird things on the town church, a mannikin who's making a bunch of nooses, etc.
Nothing ever moves, but if you return to a place you've already been they might have moved slightly.
>>
>>260550831
kek
>>
>A lot of movies and games do jump scares terribly
>Therefore all jump scares are bad
>>
>>260548559
Imscared.exe
Only one jumpscare really(first one)
Spookiest shit evar
>>
>>260551645
Oh man that sounds awesom-

>big spiders

aww
>>
>>260551940
>mannikin
>mannikin
>MANNIKIN
>>
File: ffffffuuuuuu.gif (547 KB, 360x359) Image search: [Google]
ffffffuuuuuu.gif
547 KB, 360x359
It's a game where you don't know why you're being thrust back and forth - then you turn around and realize you're getting buttfucked.

I'd set the mouse sensitivity all the way down so it takes a long time to turn around. Then when you lock eyes with the nignog raping you the credits immediately pop up and that rage against the machine song that was at the end of the Matrix starts. CMON DOO DA DAT DOO DA DA DAT DOO DOOO
>>
I'd make it so you gradually learn that your big scary monster that stalks you at every turn can only be defeated one way; by confronting it, something a lot of players won't realize or have the courage to attempt.
>>
>>260551184
It was only then that the protagonist recalled that in his past when he was a kid he used to take care of this stray dog, but it was stabbed to death by this one angry older man on the same street who seemed to have some kind of grudge against the protagonists family. The protagonist seems to get really upset at this and stands up and screams something at the woman before the lamp above flickers and everybody vanishes.

So then I took out my revolver and flashlight and exited the hotel into the dark city that is almost completely pitch black and I started to explore and shit. At multiple points I had to slow down and sneak or stay perfectly still to avoid monsters out in the darkness.

Eventually I went to explore this little hobo village under a bridge and then I started to hear screaming. It was then that a bunch of enemies tried to rush me. I caught a bunch of them in my peripheral vision. When I did not have the flashlight on them they their forms seemed grotesque and impossible like real Lovecraftian shit but when I aimed my flashlight at them it revealed the forms of heavily disfigured and strange people (but their shadows looked like those silhouettes that I described.) Then when I equipped my revolver and started to fire at them I suddenly woke up. So yeah.
>>
File: nutmeg-mannikin-10.jpg (60 KB, 468x468) Image search: [Google]
nutmeg-mannikin-10.jpg
60 KB, 468x468
>>260552415
Ah, yes... of course I meant Nutmeg Mannikins.
Because nothing is more scary than a bird, right?

Yes, I meant mannequins - I'll go commit sudoku now.
>>
File: the message.png (113 KB, 500x384) Image search: [Google]
the message.png
113 KB, 500x384
My idea for a horror game is a point-and-click adventure where you search around a creepy house at night searching for parts of a message.

No jumpscares, the paranormal events of the game mostly revolves around the house creaking, chairs moving around the room since the last time you came in, etc. All to build up tension. And when you finally look at the message it's dead silent.

>pic related
>>
File: song_thrush.jpg (108 KB, 900x643) Image search: [Google]
song_thrush.jpg
108 KB, 900x643
>>260552910
I dunno man.
>>
>>260552872
sounds fuckin cool. were you scared or were you on full horror protagonist survival or nuttin mode?
>>
>>260552992
Nigga my back's to a wall always.
>>
File: Nd8Mv.jpg (8 KB, 251x251) Image search: [Google]
Nd8Mv.jpg
8 KB, 251x251
>>260553245
But what should the overall plot be?
>>
>>260553358
what if walls had skeletons
>>
>>260552992
Why would my future self write in English?
You know what, fuck him.
>>
File: too spooky.jpg (89 KB, 750x563) Image search: [Google]
too spooky.jpg
89 KB, 750x563
>>260553558
>>
>being an adult
>being scared of anything

just kill yourself and save your bloodline the hassle of being weak like you
>>
>>260553321
It felt like I was playing a game It was really weird. I really enjoyed the idea of going to sleep transporting you to the shadow world.

If I didn't make it clear the whole Idea was that during the day you explore investigate and talk to the few people who still live in this city while the spooky shit is very subtle and happens mainly in the background and then during the night you have to find a way to wake up by solving puzzles fighting monsters exploring the other world etc etc

My inventory stayed with me in both worlds so multiple times I had to solve some side puzzles in the dark world by using items I found in the normal world.

I also forgot to mention that sometimes the game would fake you out by making you think you woke up only for something pants shittingly terrifying to happen before you woke up for real.
>>
>>260553438
its just a nuclear town and you get blown the fuck up in the end because youre a dumb shit
>>
>>260553820
WHAT THE FUCK NO
>>
>>260554310
I was hinting at An Ancient Evil Awakens, but being blown up would be nice too.
>>
whatever happened to the game /v/ was making where it takes place in a deserted mall?
>>
>>260548559
what move is that from
>>
Gone Home, except instead of lesbians, you're investigating a serial killers house. Dude has been caught, and you're walking around with him in cuffs, as you try to get him to show you all the fucked up shit he's hidden away, but he's being an asshole.

You are "graded" on how many hidden alcoves you find, how many clues you get & how much of the mystery you solve. The quickest way to win is by bringing the serial killer with you, but they will be creepy and fuck with you.
>>
>>260549651
What about a horror game where you are in a car? As you drive along you will be prompted to do different things like restart the engine and turn the headlights back on. As you drive down the back road you will be able to piece different things together and learn about a murder that happened on a farm off the road or some shit like that. If you take to long to fix your car's faults when they appear you could get a death animation where someone appears in your back seat or infront of the car before your screen cuts to black
>>
>>260555485
Continued:

You see everything from mutilated corpses, weird drawings, and so many creeks. You can investigate on your own, but that will slow everything down, and you might not get everything in time. The Serial Killer is the son of a senator, and he's sending the FBI down there to basically lock shit down in a few hours.

Time Limit + Creepy serial killer stuff + Murder mystery = Cool horror game without jump scares?

Holy shit someone make this.
>>
>>260553820
>>260554463
Where's the scary part? I don't see it
>>
>>260554309
Fuck I know I'm just rambling but I will continue describing it.

So in the story there is this sort of undercurrent that the dark world is like a second layer of reality to the city as stuff that happens in the real world effects stuff in the dark world and vice versa.

There was also this unsettling idea that the reason why a lot of people just vanished from the city was because the Dark World pulled them in and did something to them and then they became the creatures that you fight in the dark world.

As I got further in the game I started to get more and more sleepy more often and this means that the city wants to absorb me completely into the dark world so there was some sort of time element to the game where you need to complete the game in a certain amount of time or get one of the bad endings.

I would imagine that this could be slightly compensated for by drinking energy drinks and stuff like that to keep you awake for longer.
>>
>>260556018
Neither do I, I reverse imaged searched it and found nothing
>>
>>260556018
>>260556767
Sigh.
It's a joke.
The joke is that's the foundation of the building.
Or, the "skeleton" of the walls.

Skeletons are spooky.
I've lost control of my life.
>>
File: 1394376391125.gif (2 MB, 360x315) Image search: [Google]
1394376391125.gif
2 MB, 360x315
>>260557106
Oh
I'm so sorry, anon
You're alright
>>
>>260551940
thats my fetish
>>
>>260557106
that was spooky
>>
Problem with no 'jump scares' is that the medium has to rely on them to be consistently scary.

Its also a question of implementation.

Movies can be scary because you completely control the camera and what it sees. In games, Amnesia fails to be scary if you start looking at the monster for more than a couple of seconds because there is no real danger. Games can have a scary atmosphere, but if it relies entirely on that it can turn into a joke too.
>>
>>260551139
Like a when you see it kind of thing. That would be cool
>>
>>260558717
I think some games can be scary without just scares, but most probably need a couple. In Silent Hill - Shattered Memories, you quickly find out that nothing can hurt you when you're exploring. Nothing bad will appear. There's simply no reason to be afraid.
It was still fun, but it wasn't scary.
>>
File: 1409187194275.jpg (24 KB, 373x560) Image search: [Google]
1409187194275.jpg
24 KB, 373x560
>>260558717
all you have to do is make a game like the blair witch hunt
>>
>>260561757
why nobody knows this masterpiece?
>>
File: eyes.jpg (178 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
eyes.jpg
178 KB, 1024x1024
>>260563275
they should make one thats about a wendigo
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.