[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fire Emblem?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 242
Thread images: 42
File: Robin SSB4.png (232 KB, 500x450) Image search: [Google]
Robin SSB4.png
232 KB, 500x450
If I've never played a Fire Emblem game or any strategy RPG at all, which game(s) would you recommend to a beginner? Anything I should know going in? What order should I play the games in?
>>
Play 7 first then go from there. 4 is the best.
>>
Any of the GBA games or Path of Radiance to start
>>
>>260385783

Awakening's a good starting point.
>>
Most will say 7. From there it literally does not fucking matter.
>>
Hey Fire Emblem fans:
Awakening didn't ruin FE. FE was a dying franchise that Awakening saved.

Just accept it.
>>
If your playing awakening, DONT USE FREDERICK

DONT.
>>
Awakening and Sacred Stones are awful starting points. Ignore anyone who says they're good.

Play FE7, which is just called Fire Emblem in the west.
>>
GBA games are a good starting point.
The 3DS one is good but VERY casualized and it may taint your view on the old ones.
>>
File: GBA_Fire_Emblem_Box.jpg (119 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
GBA_Fire_Emblem_Box.jpg
119 KB, 256x256
Start with this one. The tutorial is helpful if it's your first FE, but enraging if it's not.
Then continue to Roy's game, then Sacred Stones to finish off the GBA games.
>>
If you want to play every game in the series, this is the order you should do them in:

11, 12, 7, 6, 9, 10, 4, 5, 8, 13, (1, 2 3).
>>
>>260387705
I agree with this post. You could go FE7 > Sacred Stones > FE6 (Sword of Seals) as well.

Don't use any pre-promoted paladins unless it's Seth in Sacred Stones.
>>
>>260388473
>recommending sacred stones
>>
If you are talking about the localized ones I would recommend anything but Radiant Dawn, it's not very newbie friendly
>>
When is SIggy going to play more GhebFE
>>
>>260388473
paladins are the biggest fucking noob traps

I abused the shit out of them in my first FE game and it bit me in the ass so fucking hard, all my other guys were severely underleveled and I had to abuse save states to beat the game
>>
>>260388614
>Doesn't like sacred stones, the best gba game

Enjoy our shit taste, anon
>>
7, Sacred Stones, and Awakening are the best for beginners.

The Gamecube and Wii games are for advanced players and should be saved for later.

Shadow Dragon is complete garbage and should be avoided at all costs.

Play 4 at some point.
>>
>>260388473
playing sacred stones, first FE game I ever played

is Seth intended to be near immortal? because right now it seems like nothing can damage him. Or Gilliam for that matter
>>
>>260388473
>recommending FE6, the complete piece of abomination garbage only better than the shitty NES games and Shadow Dragon
>>
I would tell you to start with Awakening, but it's so amazing it might make it difficult to go back to previous games.
>>
Why is shadow dragon so bad?

I just wanna know
>>
>>260391036
Shadow dragon tried to stay true to it's roots, and unfortunately, it hasn't aged well in the face of innovations made since then.

You could start on that one, with the knowledge that it only gets better from there. But if you play any others first, you'll be asking questions like

>why are the alternate chapters unlocked when I lose characters
>why does half the roster have a single line of dialogue
>why does this animation look dull compared to GBA games
>>
>>260391036
Path of Radiance is perfectly fine for a beginner. Its easy mode is actually easy.

Radiant Dawn is definitely not a good place to start, though.
>>
File: image.jpg (500 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
500 KB, 1920x1080
>>260390241
I played it earlier today, dude. And yesterday. And the day before that.
>>
>>260391669
are those the only things wrong with it?

I only care gameplay-wise.
>>
>>260391552
It's not that bad, just a pretty barebones remake of the very first game, gaiden chapter bullshit aside.

FE12 improved upon that and it's a really solid entry.
>>
>>260391829
It's solid. Nothing special. It is a solid, good game though. Play it.
>>
>>260391036
basically this.
>>
>>260391726
>easy mode
>ever
>in any game
>>
>>260391173
a lot of FE games give you a nearly invincible Paladin near the beginning. The intention of the paladin is to make it easier to ease into the game and have a kind of safety net so youre units dont get stomped in a permadeath game

But what USUALLY happens is that people use the paladin for everything, it absorbs all the experience from every battle, gets extremely overleveled, then later on down the line the game's difficulty ramps up and the paladin can no longer solo everything, so you basically just lose the game. You're fucked.

In sacred stones they let you replay old chapter for exp, but in other games you get no such luxury
>>
>>260391829
Gameplay is garbage. Killing off units in a game with permadeath to get more units and chapters?

Who designs this shit? Gameplay is a huge step down from every other entry released in the west.
>>
>>260392310
>the game is bad because optional shit is dumb

That's like saying FE7 is garbage because of Chapter 17xx.
>>
>>260392129
ah kay, not been using him to solo everything, in fact after I got him the class upgrade gilliam seems to just laugh at anything that's not magic while my ranged units bombard everything else from behind him

also wondering is it worth it to level up those weak recruits?
>>
>>260392310
That's not really gameplay per see. And those extra chapters are there more out of pity for bad players.

Shadow Dragon's gameplay is pretty basic. Weapon triangle but no magic triangle, supports are hidden between certain units, no rescue, no pushing, no dancers. You get to use Ballistae as stand alone units, at least.

It's a solid game, all this considered. FE12 improves upon that and I'd even say it's one of the best games.
>>
>>260392779
usually the weak units are the ones that become broken.

Especially Ewan from Sacred Stones. Turn him into a Summoner and you don't really even need any other units.
>>
>>260393021
don't have him yet, only one I managed to change class was Ross
>>
>>260392779
Ross and Amelia are both great. Ewan can be good if you train him up but he comes in too late to be practical.
>>
>>260392779
Weaker units usually turn out pretty strong. The problem arises when you get weak units very late game with good growth, the so called Est archetype.

However, units that start weak but you get then pretty early, like recruits in FE8, Florina in FE7 or Donnel in FE13 turn out strong due to their awesome growths and chances to level up without resorting to grind/boss abuse.
>>
>>260393361
>too late to be practical
but because Sacred Stones is made for babies you can grind him up to Summoner right after you get him before even progressing the story.
>>
>>260387579
FE8 and Awakening are fine, but definitely should NOT be someone's first FE game.

One should also avoid FE5/10 starting out, but for different reasons.
>>
>Sigurd had a hard life.
>>
>>260393502
>Florina
>good
>Florina
>anything other than shit
>>
>>260393361
ah kay, just wondering was it a mistake to turn Ross into a pirate? the moving over water deal seemed like a good idea at the time
>>
>>260393506
>training Ewan when Lute exists

It serves practically no purpose
>>
File: 1409200449507.png (1 MB, 809x592) Image search: [Google]
1409200449507.png
1 MB, 809x592
>>260390646
Slow the fuck down there anon, Sacred Stones was decent but the story wasn't as strong as 7's and was piss easy as well.

Even on Hard mode I found it to be not that big of a challenge.
>>
>>260393583
I'd even say FE11 of all things is a good starting point since its mechanics are pretty simple. Graphics and gaiden chapters complaints aside, people usually complain about it because the game lacks more intricate mechanics from previous titles, but a new player wouldn't know that.
>>
File: 14028774970534.jpg (28 KB, 297x334) Image search: [Google]
14028774970534.jpg
28 KB, 297x334
>>260393953

>FE
>story
>>
>>260393779
If it wasn't for the buttfuckingly retarded way the GBA games handled CON and weapon weight Florina would be fine.

As it stands none of the GBA peg knights except maybe Tana (and maaaaaaaaaybe Farina) are really worth the effort.
>>
>>260393779
>Not giving Florina the Energy Ring in Lyn Mode

Your loss, Pegasus Knights are almost always great and Florina is no exception. She's way better than her sister Fiora.
>>
>>260393948
Lute can't become a summoner. No borken Dark Magic, no filling the entire screen with infinite skeletons that have Killer Axes. shit tier.
>>
>>260394198
Summoner is a gimmicky class that's only worth the effort for the Creature Campaign anyway.

Besides you can Dark Magic glitch Dark Magic onto Lute if you wanna.
>>
>>260394198
>Broken Dark Magic
>Luna was nerfed to shit with only 50 hit
>Flux is a worse Thunder
>Nosferatu is extremely heavy and rare
>Fenrir and Gleipnir weigh a goddamn ton
>>
>>260385783
Path of Radiance is objectively the best. and is easily emulated

from their, the GBA and DS games. The ones older than the GBA ones aren't worth it
>>
>>260394168
None of the Peg Knights were any good in the GBA games. Or the Gamecube/Wii games really.

They couldn't take a single hit in melee combat, even when using the weapon triangle correctly. Arrows were one-hit kills.

Their supposedly great magic resist was still shittier than almost every other unit.

Even the Wyvern Knights, which were just Peg Knights that could actually fight in melee, weren't good.
>>
File: sumia.jpg (28 KB, 285x411) Image search: [Google]
sumia.jpg
28 KB, 285x411
>>260387536
As someone who's been with the series since Mystery; I am actually glad FE:A breathed new life into it. It got my friends playing the old games, and that makes it worth it to me.

Plus, FE:A was a great game in its own right.
>>
>>260385783
7, 8 and awakening are all great starting points.

Don't play anything below 6 until you've played literally every other game in the seires
>>
>>260394623
>DS games
Shadow Dragon is worse than every game other than the actual game it's a remake of. Even then it's barely better than that.
>>
>>260387557
Why not, because it makes it easy mode?
>>
>>260394168
Hey everybody get a load of this guy who didn't want Kent and Sain to wreck shit as hard as they could
>>
>>260394924
jesus thats fucking brutal but actually entirely true

i think shadow dragon is by far the absolute worst remake ive ever seen
>>
>>260394741
I dunno about them not being good in FE9/10. The new Str - Wgt system for calculating AS means they can actually get away with equipping things heavier than Iron weapons and their relatively high Speed and decent Def means they can play almost like pseudo-Myrms. Only glaring flaw is terrible HP.

And Wyverns in Tellius are fucking demigods.
>>
>>260395262
The only worse remakes I can think of are Turtles in Time Reshelled and the 2.5D Flashback.
>>
My recommendation would be Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn (don't spend $100 bucks trying to get this one though. It's not worth it), and then Awakening.
Fire Emblem is one of the blander SRPGs though. Awakening revived interest in it, but you could simply not play any of the GBA games and not miss out on anything that you don't get in these three.
Final Fantasy Tactics is definitely the place to start for SRPGs.
>>
It's not a SRPG, it's a turn based strategy.
>>
>>260395262
Honestly I'd rather play the Famicom originals. At least they have a sort of quirky charm with the barebones translation patches and hilarious system mechanics.
>>
>>260387579

Fire Emblem 7's tutorial is plodding and slow and even bad. It forces you to make certain moves and the prologue has you attack an enemy who can kill you in two hits on the player which is absolutely stupid.

Awakening gives you the same information more efficiently.
>>
>>260394924
>FE11 is worse than FE1

Did you even fucking play FE1, retard?
>>
>>260394539
Summons are extremely useful if you know how to use them. You can distract high Magic Shadowshot Gorgons/Mogalls, lure in enemies and even send them to kill those hard to reach eggs in Chapter 18. Don't underestimate the value of a disposable unit that you can re-summon infinitely.

>>260395236
>Giving the Energy Ring to Sain, who has a 60% growth for Strength and will ram the cap for it even before promoting
Kent is a perfectly viable alternative, though he tends to be fine on his own without it.
>>
>>260395721
Shadow Dragon is literally a remake of FE1. It's almost the same game just with a weapon triangle added.
>>
>>260395451
i think the worst part was that the pre-rendered shitty 3D models they used actually made the game look MORE dated than the original. They went the pre-rendered route, which is supposed to allow for "easy" and detailed sprites like DKC

But they used the shittiest mannequins they could find. It was all just so lazy
>>
>>260395691
Isn't that battle scripted in the tutorial? I can't recall ever having it malfunction on me at any rate.
>>
>>260395721
>other than the actual game it's a remake of
>>
>>260395691
the enemy in the prologue is rigged to not hit you the second time. And lyn mode isn't too harsh, specially for newcomers to SRPGs in general
>>
>>260395807
I always give the Energy Ring to Serra.
>>
>>260395839
>those battle sprites

They looked like the Yu-Gi-Oh Dungeon Dice Monsters sprites.

Only that game had actual good gameplay and was fun.
>>
>>260395815
That is so wrong it hurts. SD actually fixed a lot of FE1's issues, and reversed the shitty Book 1 "changes".
>>
>>260396034
If anything fixing the issues makes it a less entertaining game. Laughing at their shittiness is about the only enjoyment you can get out of 1 and SD.
>>
>>260385783
Hahaha! look at this faggot never played a Fire Emblem game.
>>
>>260395807
>sending Phantoms to kill the unhatched eggs when they spit out a metric fuckton of EXP
>>
>>260395815

It is supposed to be a remake of FE1. But you obviously haven't played FE1, I'll list some of the differences.

*FE11 added the weapon triangle
*Fighters, Knights and Hunters can now promote
*You can forge weapons between chapters
*You can trade items and weapons between units
*Ballisticians weapons have 3-10 attack range instead of 2-2
*There is a reclass system
*Clerics and Curates gain EXP from using staves rather than getting attacked
*There are 6 difficulty settings rather than just one.

There's more but it would take a while to list it all.
>>
>>260396208
That's a bit harsh

They're not bad games
>>
start with FE7, 8, and Awakening
Then play 4 and the Shining Force games
then the Radiance games
>>
>>260396472
Real talk for a minute, I fucking hate the Reclassing thing they've added in recent FE games. I think it takes a lot away from the identity and uniqueness of the characters they give you. I'm sure that's a minority opinion though.
>>
>>260396506
You can compare them to any other game in the series and they'll come up extremely short.

I'm having a hard time thinking of any games in the genre that are worse. Yu Yu Hakusho Tournament Tactics was better and that game sucked.
>>
>>260396729
I don't think anyone actually likes it.
>>
>>260396729
>>260396805
I'm okay with it mechanically, but I would just prefer the way 8 Handled things, with Branching promotions
>>
>>260396805
Min-maxer types love it I know.
>>
>>260396729
At least they added branching class promotions back in. It was a good idea when Sacred Stones did it but that game got a really negative reception for being the followup to God Tier 7. The mechanic deserved another shot.

Hopefully the next game doesn't do reclassing but keeps branching promotions.
>>
>>260396805
No I like it. It allows you to change your team setup on the fly if you need to for some reason. Just gotta deal with a unit that may not be optimal for that class
>>
>>260396472
Gaiden chapters with retarded requirements as well.

>>260395807
Well of course you give it to Kent, but that paired with the support bonus and WTC, they just don't give a fuck
>>
>>260396940
>>260396969
I'm for branching promotions if and only if they're into similar classes. I don't want my Fighter promoting into a Druid or some shit.
>>
>>260394741
>Flight
>Not good

Someone isn't good at tactics, then. Flight is an extremely helpful trait to have on any chapter that features rough terrain and the ability to drop someone like Oswin on the other side of a river to start a massacre is something that no other type of unit can do. Desert chapters are a lot easier when you have competent fliers, among others.

You're also exaggerating their supposed frailty (which is only bad in the beginning and some pegs actually start with fairly good defense like Vanessa and Thany), they can easily take a single hit even in the beginning when they're frail. Once you actually raise them they can take multiple hits (bows still do heavy damage but they can be played around) and have high Avoid, meaning they won't get hit all that often. Using Killer weapons and the like means that they still hit hard but don't lose much Speed from the weight of the weapon and Vanessa/Tana can go Wyvern Knight to have 8 CON, meaning that they only lose one Speed form Killer Lances.
>>
>>260396729

It lets you use the characters you want though. Having an unbalanced party because the characters you like are all one type of weaker class isn't very fun for some.

Plus due to how some characters are you get characters who were better suited for a different class even in games that didn't have reclass.
>>
>>260396940
I fucking love branching promotions in any game. This is why VC2 is my favourite VC.
>>
>>260397498
kill yourself
>>
File: image.jpg (78 KB, 480x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78 KB, 480x768
>>260397441
>pic related can ride a Wyvern

As hard as the thought makes my dick, I just think the cons outweigh the pros for me personally.
>>
>>260397365
This. If you don't really care about tactics and optimization, then there's really not much reason for you to use flying units.

Their high Aid stat allows then to carry even slow and heavy molasses like Knights or make horse units bypass rough terrain that slows them down.
>>
>>260397187
Well yeah, that's the point of the system. Gives the units more customization options, without completely throwing out the character's intentions.
More stuff like being able to chose between Paladin and Great Knight, less things like Reclassing your Lord into an Archer.
>>
>>260397886
SOREN

ALWAYS LOST IN YOUR BOOKS
>>
>>260398003
Even playing causally it's still a good idea to have a well-trained flying unit of some kind so that you can get to faraway villages across mountains or water along with those desert chapters.
>>
>>260396940

8 didn't handle it too well though. When you picked one branch the only thing you change is the stat boost from promotion and your characters stat caps and weapon differences.

The result is that your character on average turns out almost identical since their growths don't adjust for that class.

For example Forde in FE8 has practically the same stats as a Great Knight and Paladin because his growths are average across the board. Unlike Shadow Dragon or Awakening growths don't adjust for the class they're in.
>>
File: 677567.jpg (15 KB, 273x276) Image search: [Google]
677567.jpg
15 KB, 273x276
FATHER!
>>
>>260397365
Peg Knights were ONLY good for rescuing people and dumping them in other parts of the map.

Florina can't even go two rounds of melee combat the first mission you get her. With an axe user. When she's using a sword.

they were garbage in the GBA games, only useful on a scant few missions for things like rescuing NPCs or visiting houses before they could get destroyed.

You could use an actually good unit like Kent or Sain to transport units. Maybe not as far, but at least those two can fight.
>>
>>260398658
I was talking more about why many people see them as shitty, more in the sense of "you can't murder everything then you're bad".

I always have pegasus on my team. Mobility is just too good to ignore when you learn how to actually use it.
>>
File: Not Ike.png (724 KB, 936x524) Image search: [Google]
Not Ike.png
724 KB, 936x524
>>260398996
>>
>>260399061
You obviously haven't played the games in a while, Pegasus Knights can't use swords...
>>
>>260399061
>Florina using a sword when you first get her
You sure your memories are good enough there to make your point straight?
>>
File: HHM.png (2 MB, 2404x960) Image search: [Google]
HHM.png
2 MB, 2404x960
>>260399061
They're pretty good.
Triangle attack is broken for bosses.
>>
>>260399121
Why would I want something that's mobile but dies in two hits, when I could have a whole unkillable brick wall of invincible units instead?

I use Peg Knights only in Awakening, because they are broken as fuck in that game.
>>
>>260398042
I wish there were Mercs/Heroes in Tellius but Ike had to eat it. At least he's a monster as a result.

>>260398063
>tfw Ike x Mia support
Ike gets even more monstrous Atk from Mia's Fire affinity, and Mia becomes even more of a dodgetank with Ike's Earth affinity

I always felt Earth x Earth was a waste. Earth by itself gives enough of an Avo bonus without having to stack it.

Plus I ship the hell out of it. They're perfect for each other.
>>
>>260399246
>>260399265
She starts with a Slim Sword.
>>
>>260399349
Because I can use tactics so they don't get in risk of dying in two hits, I guess?
>>
>>260399518
Lance.
>>
>>260394114
>hakase
>not the best loli
>>
>>260399518
Slim Lance.
>>
>>260399518
She really doesn't. She starts with a Slim Lance.
>>
>>260399518

She starts with a Slim Lance not a sword. You must be confusing her for Elincia in Radiant Dawn.
>>
>>260398849
It's definitely true that the ones in 8 aren't that important mechanically, but it does help make the game feel that much more engaging, in my opinion at least

>>260399380
I really with the 3D games had kept more of the ridiculous animations from the GBA era
>>
>>260399380
Earth x Earth is almost necessary to play on the higher difficulties.
>>
File: 1382294793401.png (1 MB, 1280x1080) Image search: [Google]
1382294793401.png
1 MB, 1280x1080
>>260399348
>hector
>not strength capped
>less strength than eliwood
>>
>>260399687

>I really with the 3D games had kept more of the ridiculous animations from the GBA era

Would probably be too demanding, I mean they recycled most of the animations for the regular non-lord classes throughout the GBA era.
>>
>>260399518
Slim Lance. Pegasus Knights don't even use swords before promoting in most of the games.
>>
>>260399941
Always happened to me when I played.

Hector is still better than Eliwood in combat because Wolf Beil though.
>>
>>260399964
Still, it would have been wonderful to see stuff like Hero's Acrobatics, or some of the higher level spell animations
>>
>>260399806
Not really tho. I have always managed just fine without it.

Only units I'd do it are Zihark and Nolan because the Downs Brigade sucks dick.
>>
>>260399941
My Florina has 15 strength with a 40% growth rate
My Lyn has more defence than strength despite her 40% strength growth and 20% defence growth.
>>
>>260400092
That amazing defense also helps.
>>
FE Awakening Lunatic Plus mode is a good starting point
>>
>>260400227
It's amazing how much better of a game Radiant Dawn would be if the Dawn Brigade wasn't in it at all.
>>
File: olivia intensifies.gif (47 KB, 150x150) Image search: [Google]
olivia intensifies.gif
47 KB, 150x150
>>260387536
>>260387536
Exactly FE:13 revived what would have been a dead franchise. Even though it isn't the best one, it got a lot of people interested in the series
>>
File: 1409158323311.png (3 KB, 101x142) Image search: [Google]
1409158323311.png
3 KB, 101x142
>>260400401
Come on, son. At least suggest something possible to do in a fresh game like H5 in Shadow Dragon.
>>
>>260400401
You can't even unlock Lunatic+ until you beat Lunatic
>>
File: 1404223459303.png (202 KB, 500x579) Image search: [Google]
1404223459303.png
202 KB, 500x579
>>260393361
the babby units are my favourite
>>
>>260399061
Florina uses lances and has a fairly low starting defense, of course she's not going to do well against axe-users (she doesn't have swords until she promotes, which would have helped but she's still pretty easy to get up there regardless). Have her pick her battles (sword-users and Soldiers are good picks) and she'll be good in no time at all. An example of good spot for her to gain a bunch of early EXP is the mercenary reinforcements in the upper-right corner of Chapter 4, with an Iron Lance she kills them in 2 hits and the mercenaries do about 3 damage to her in return.

And look at Lyn, she gets two-shot by lance-users and yet you don't call her bad. Take similar care with your pegasi and you'll find that they're really good units.
>>
>>260400612
And even if it wasn't the best one, it was still a really fun entry on it's own.
>>
>>260400559
It's a mixed bag for me. I really like the "fighting against a genuinely superior force" feel most of the DB chapters evoke, makes me feel like my decisions actually matter as opposed to the general levels of buttrape the Greil Mercs dole out.

Micaiah's retarded ass really makes the plot drag though.
>>
>>260400612

Also the pure fact the game has 12(or 10 for original titles) previous entries, the game would have to have to make a big shift sometime or other else it would just stagnate.
>>
So, are these games all connected? Canon? Is the story even important?

Just found it weird, most of the recommendations so far suggest leaving 75% of the series out and playing a few of the others all in the wrong order.
>>
>>260393947
It's the most popular choice
>>
>>260400924
I never said it was bad, hell i have like 600+ hours before i took a break from that game, it 's really good. i just said it wasn't the best FE IMO
>>
>>260400941
My biggest complaint about RD is how they implemented the whole "different stories". Had they made so every unit was in the same tier when their chapter ended, you could have a nice balance in the endgame. Everyone in the same level range, ready to go.

Instead you have this progression of starting with weak units in Part 1 and when you get to Ike you're going to third tier. Even with those maps in Part 3 for the Dawn Brigade to try to catch up, it's still pretty awful design-wise.
>>
>>260401215
FE 1 (11) , 3 (12), and Awakening are directly connected. the rest are ether loosely connected or not at all
>>
>>260401215
A few of them are connected, but you can really play them in any order. 7 is the Prequel to 6, 9's story continues on into 10, stuff like that.

>>260401301
I never meant to insinuate you said it was bad, I was just adding my own opinion in! I'm a big fan of it myself
>>
File: image.jpg (18 KB, 146x208) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18 KB, 146x208
>>260401398
>awful design choices in RD

What in the absolute fuck were they thinking here

FE10 is an interesting case design wise, the hardest chapters in the game are actually at the very beginning and very end. The game gets pretty easy for the middle 15 chapters or so.
>>
File: fiona.png (23 KB, 768x240) Image search: [Google]
fiona.png
23 KB, 768x240
>>260401758
>>
File: 1407904857677.png (897 KB, 1280x936) Image search: [Google]
1407904857677.png
897 KB, 1280x936
>>
>>260401515
Well don't forget 4/5 and 9/10 being direct sequels/interquels.

FE2 is technically connected to 1 and 3 as well (though it's a weird ass game in general)
>>
>>260395854
>>260395891

I'm not saying that it was risky but it's a tutorial, it kind of blurs the fact you'd want to avoid putting yourself in combat situations where your units can potentially lose when you have the choice(basically it doesn't tell you attacking an enemy on the player phase who can defeat your unit in 2 rounds of combat is usually a bad decision) .
>>
>>260401758
how did people look at her and think that those colors looked good together
>>
>>260401215
The games usually come in pairs and are set in the same continent during their story.

Fire Emblem 11 and 12 are the most recent remakes of the first stories and are set in the Archanea Continent.
Fire Emblem 4 and 5 are set in the Jugdral Continent.
Fire Emblem 6 and 7 are set in the Elibe Continent.
Fire Emblem 9 and 10 are set in the Telius Continent.
Fire Emblem 8 takes place in the Continent of Mavel and is the only game without any other connection.
Fire Emblem 2 takes place in Valentia, a continent directly to the east of Archanea and happens in between the first and second games of the Archanea saga.
Then you have awakening, staged thousands of years after the Archanea and Valentia games, but on those same continents.

So that's why people usually recommend games in different orders. I personally would recommend you to try every saga in whatever order you want, as long as you play both games.
>>
>>260402015
I was mostly mentioning Marth and his descendents games, assuming that he would probably play Awakening first
>>
>>260393947

It's not bad because water walking utility and Warrior has bow access, but Fighter is generally a better choice because of access to Hero, which is literally the best unmounted class in the game.
>>
>>260387536
It's still not that great, which is the main problem.
>>
File: Miriel,.jpg (131 KB, 600x852) Image search: [Google]
Miriel,.jpg
131 KB, 600x852
So, will there be a sequel to Awakening?
>>
>>260402516
Thank you. Very informative.
>>
>>260402516
I meant Magvel, not Mavel. Sorry.

Also another thing I forgot. Each pair is in order plot-wise, aside from FE6 and 7. In this case, 7 is the prequel and 6 is the sequel, and usually it's best to start with 7 and then go to 6 if you're new to the series when playing this pair.
>>
>>260401398

It's also a hodge podge of how much EXP a character can gain because the characters who start out at the highest level(Greil Mercenaries and Haar) get a high amount of chapters to themselves.

The strongest group of characters get a disproproportionately high amount of EXP that the others don't catch up, the power gap only gets wider before part 4.
>>
>>260403353
Since it sold like hotcakes and usually the games come in pairs, I'd say yes. Since they fixed everything wrong with 11 when they made 12, I actually have high hopes for Awakening's sequel.
>>
File: TSS11B[1].png (14 KB, 336x304) Image search: [Google]
TSS11B[1].png
14 KB, 336x304
>>260393953
>tfw agony
>>
>>260395056
Yes, and you lose valuable EXP which is pretty bad, especially in the higher difficulties.
>>
File: 1407830956742.jpg (114 KB, 586x640) Image search: [Google]
1407830956742.jpg
114 KB, 586x640
>Start playing FE:A
>Play it on easy, classic, because I'm new to the genre, but still want to get a genuine experience
>My characters keep dying, and I hate the thought of it so I always restart the level
>Hate the idea of a character just staying weaker than everyone else so I am always fighting with the worst units
>My entire party be gone if I hadn't been resetting 10+ times on harder maps
>Learn about Reeking Boxes
>Get lost in grinding for hours, trying to get every character on equal ground, really enjoy it
>I can finally play levels without feeling like I'm playing the game incorrectly by resetting
>Other FE games apparently don't have grinding, and easy mode is supposedly way easier than other games in the series
I don't think this series is for me.
>>
>>260403606
Ironically the single most available unit in the entire game is Ilyana. A shame they nerfed the shit out of her (and mages in general) in FE10.
>>
>>260403625

They also acknowledged the stuff in the interviews.

Like they knew Tharja was extremely powerful in game and the director himself beat Lunatic before the game was released(before the DLC even).
>>
>>260403353
But where would they go with it, like search for sleeping Robin after the battle with Grima, but what would they do after
>>
>>260395056
No, using him too much early makes it harder.

He's a pre-class-promoted unit, so he doesn't get very much EXP for kills because he's too strong. If you use him, he'll suck up the EXP your other weaker characters need early in the game.
>>
>>260403985
>Like they knew Tharja was extremely powerful in game
Link to this?
>>
I fight for my friends
>>
File: garithos.png (126 KB, 265x229) Image search: [Google]
garithos.png
126 KB, 265x229
>>260403648
DONT FUCKING REMIND ME GOD DAMN FUCK THAT LEVEL IT WAS SMOOTH SAILING UNTIL THAT SHIT FUCK
>>
>>260403980

Oh yeah she's rubbish. Being in the Dawn Brigade she starts so weak that even with a lot of use during part 1 she'll probably be weaker than Soren(who's also pretty bad) by the time you get to use her again.
>>
File: 1394071421912.png (148 KB, 261x468) Image search: [Google]
1394071421912.png
148 KB, 261x468
>>260403648
God damn it fuck this level
>>
File: Mia.png (298 KB, 622x623) Image search: [Google]
Mia.png
298 KB, 622x623
So, its canon that Ike spawned as of Awakening right? So, who was it with? Lethe? Mia? That shopkeep woman?
>>
>>260403854
Like most Nintendo games, FE is a series with good replay value. Don't try to level everyone equally and stick with certain characters on each playthrough and you usually go well if it's not a game where you can grind.

You can then try different characters on different plays. Since you're new to the genre, it's also natural that you're still not very good.

Don't give up. Learn about tactics, bait enemies with high defense units. Use the pair up mechanic in the most efficient way for each situation. Positioning is key in Fire Emblem.

Once you see that your tactics won the battles, not stats, you'll feel pretty accomplished.
>>
>>260404464
it was Sothe
>>
>>260404178

http://fireemblem.nintendo.com/developer-interview/index.html

>"have to agree with Maeda-san, though; Tharja is pretty strong. (laughs) She's pretty much the perfect fighter."

The other one is the Iwata asks.

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/fire-emblem/0/0
>>
>>260404464
sothe magic'd a womb
>>
>>260404464

He disappears off to lands unknown alone(or with Soren or Ranulf) and never seen again at the end of Radiant Dawn.

So no one from PoR or RD.
>>
>>260404772
i meant soren
>>
>>260404464
Why not Elincia?
>>
>>260403854
Your problem is insistence on using everyone when they're weak. Also, some units are rendered unusable by the game itself. The games are engineered for you to pick one or two units from each class and use them. Try to get down to a group of 10-15. You have to include Chrom and Robin in that number.
>>
File: image.jpg (148 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
148 KB, 1280x720
>>260404464
>pic
>>
>>260404743

It's Marissa all over again, those waifu pushing BASTARDS!
>>
>>260405114
Because she already has Geoffrey.

In the end, the closest thing Ike has to romance with a girl is Lethe saying that she wouldn't mind Ike coming over.
>>
>>260404743
Damn, they really like her I wonder if they'll make her the canon wife for MU
>>
>Finally got a job so I can buy a 3DS to play awakening
>Don't actually earn enough to be able to afford one
I guess I'll find a second one. This game better be good.
>>
File: 1389764870218.jpg (108 KB, 480x643) Image search: [Google]
1389764870218.jpg
108 KB, 480x643
>>260405461
>Ike and Lethe Hatefuck constantly
>Mia is forever after Ike's dick.
>>
>>260406080
She is, as per the FE9 epilogue, "completely in love with Ike's swordplay".

Take that for what you will.
>>
>>260406080
To be fair, Mia is only interested in honing her sword skills. It was actually nice how they didn't even try to shove romantic interest in her relationship with Ike. Those were different times.

Mia is one of the few one dimensional characters that I can actually take seriously. It's just simple and it works.
>>
When will Nintendo put some FE games on VC?

I don't have a handheld or GameCube and I'll be damned if I pay 60+ for radiant dawn online.
>>
>>260406621
They could totally get away with a PoR/RD HD collection on Wii U.
>>
>>260406621
there are FE games on the VC
just in gookland
>>
>>260406621
FE7 is already in Wii U's virtual console in Europe.
>>
>>260406729
I would gladly fork over sixty bucks for that shit. My copy of FE10 gave out a while back and I ain't paying the prices online for a new one.
>>
File: Princess Elincia..jpg (1 MB, 1800x1800) Image search: [Google]
Princess Elincia..jpg
1 MB, 1800x1800
>>
>>260406729

As someone who has never touched FE before, I would buy the shit out of that.

Are there any other good turn based strategy rpg's for the Wii/wiiu?
>>
>>260406080
Why is Nephenee so perfect?
>>
>>260406729
A collection that works like Books 1 and 2 of Fire Emblem 3 would be pretty good.
>>
File: 1395701367189.jpg (77 KB, 600x876) Image search: [Google]
1395701367189.jpg
77 KB, 600x876
>>260407140
Because she is a shy country girl with an accent.
>>
>>260405461
>In the end, the closest thing Ike has to romance with a girl is Lethe saying that she wouldn't mind Ike coming over.
Even that is literally tsundere
>it's not like I want you to come over
>>
>>260406860
>>260406891

VC has different games in different regions?

Why the FUCK does Nintendo do this to me?
>>
>>260407140
>First playable Soldier class in series history
>pretty good visual design (points against her for the impractical lack of leg armor but rule of cool reigns)
>shy country girl
>pretty kickass statswise

Neph has a lot going for her. Her, Mia, and Jill form the trifecta of perfect Tellius women.
>>
>>260404464
>implying the DLC is canon
>>
File: 1394766344170.jpg (59 KB, 485x649) Image search: [Google]
1394766344170.jpg
59 KB, 485x649
>>260407140
>no playable Soldiers or Halberdiers 11 or onward
>>
I wish FE games had more complex strategy to them and a reworked children system. I'd rather have 'waves' or 'generations' with a small amount of overlap. Like, generation 1 characters have a child. In generation 2, the original units are all seasoned while the child would be about as strong as the gen1 units. In generation 3 the gen1 units would be too old or dead, and gen3 would get to join their children in battle.
>>
>>260407556
Legal and licensing reasons, I believe.
>>
File: Nephenee.jpg (230 KB, 900x1500) Image search: [Google]
Nephenee.jpg
230 KB, 900x1500
>>
>>260407602
To be fair, you're gonna want to keep your legs relatively lightly armored for mobility purposes.
>>
>>260407801
Fire Emblem 4 is the closest thing to that.

You talk as if eugenics was a core mechanic of the franchise. It's just a one time thing that they decided to implement again (poorly) in Awakening because they thought it would be the last title, so they started putting lots of stuff from different games together.
>>
>>260408096
But not THAT lightly armomed. Still, it isn't nearly as tacky as most fantasy female armor.
>>
File: Anna,,.jpg (185 KB, 850x1032) Image search: [Google]
Anna,,.jpg
185 KB, 850x1032
>>
File: SoldierTCG.jpg (122 KB, 725x1023) Image search: [Google]
SoldierTCG.jpg
122 KB, 725x1023
>>260407602
>>260408096
It's not like soldiers usually wear armor in the lower half of their bodies in Fire Emblem, anyway.
>>
File: 1398140161840.jpg (192 KB, 723x988) Image search: [Google]
1398140161840.jpg
192 KB, 723x988
>>
File: 1363839067999.jpg (98 KB, 700x745) Image search: [Google]
1363839067999.jpg
98 KB, 700x745
>>
>>260407140
Because adept + vengeance + wrath is crazy good.
>>
>Play Fire Emblem of GBA
>All my character dies in battles
>I only have 3 left for the final chapter

Short as fuck game tough
>>
>>260385783
This is exactly what Nintendo wanted you to do.

They put some obscure characters in Smash and the puppets go running to Gamestop to buy some JRPGs.
>>
Best track in the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjfT4VBLrqE
>>
File: 1394343169331.jpg (187 KB, 850x743) Image search: [Google]
1394343169331.jpg
187 KB, 850x743
>>
I'm starting Radiant Dawn pretty soon, so I'd like to know what they changed between it and PoR.
>>
>>260411541
The story is objectively inferior and Micaiah is useless.
>>
>>260411541
Expect to switch back and forth between groups of units a fair bit, so don't get too attached to the guys you're currently leveling.
>>
>>260411948

This. If you can manage it, focus on leveling Nolan and Edward, because they're the best of the DB.
>>
>>260411541
Biorhythm is a much more important mechanic. It shifts every phase as opposed to every map now and has a bigger impact on Hit and Avoid chances

Anyone can support with anyone, which is amazing from a gameplay perspective but terrible from a presentation standpoint because Support conversations are basically non-existent now

There are three tiers of promotion now, which leads to bigger stat caps and broken ass Mastery skills

Laguz have changed significantly. Each class of Laguz now has it's own growth rates for its transformation gauge, and can shift/I shift at will. The stat bonuses for transformation are also radically different; all the laguz's base stats DOUBLE instead of just getting boosts, which makes Laguz fucking godlike in beast form and tissue paper in human form. They also have a "Strike" weapon level that gives their "weapon" more Mt when it raises (which takes forever).

Haar is a fucking God.

There are more I'm forgetting I'm sure.
>>
>>260412584
>Edward
Funny way of spelling Ara
>>
>>260412743
Oh yes, super effective weapon damage is now TRIPLE Mt instead of double.

And there are also Crossbow weapons for Warriors/Snipers. These have ridiculously high MT but get no bonus from the unit's STR stat, so they're good for killing fliers (even Laguz royals die in 1-2 hits from this shit) but bad for most regular enemies. Also they allow Snipers to counter direct attacks.

There are of course units who improved/got nerfed between the games as well.
>>
File: Nino.(Fire.Emblem).full.1103829.jpg (377 KB, 1000x1230) Image search: [Google]
Nino.(Fire.Emblem).full.1103829.jpg
377 KB, 1000x1230
Most broken character i've ever used in a FE game.

Decided to level her up (hard mode) 20-20 and she turned out op as fucking athos
>>
File: 1399394070143.jpg (935 KB, 1744x1153) Image search: [Google]
1399394070143.jpg
935 KB, 1744x1153
>>
File: Tiki.jpg (1 MB, 2574x4140) Image search: [Google]
Tiki.jpg
1 MB, 2574x4140
Ara Ara~
>>
>>260413629
>honk honk
>>
>>260412790

I wouldn't know, never used Aran. Is he any good?
>>
>>260414137
Aran is just behind Nephenee, usability wise.

He's pretty fantastic.
>>
>>260414402
He stands a high chance of getting fucked in Speed, which leads to either really fantastic Arans or really fucking awful Arans. There usually isn't too much middle ground.
>>
>>260413985
Tiki is best girl.
>>
File: Marie.png (157 KB, 261x260) Image search: [Google]
Marie.png
157 KB, 261x260
>>260407602
>Trifecta of perfect Tellius women.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
>>
>>260415348
nono is da best
dfc >>>>>>> fat bags
>>
>>260410713
FE: Awakening did pretty well.
This is the first FE game to feature a player character.

>some obscure
Get with the times. How have you missed these months of Tharja threads?
>>
File: FE12.jpg (58 KB, 350x313) Image search: [Google]
FE12.jpg
58 KB, 350x313
>>260417819
>This is the first FE game to feature a player character
>>
>>260404464
Spotpass characters are not canon
>>
File: ike.png (643 KB, 441x570) Image search: [Google]
ike.png
643 KB, 441x570
Ike is my favorite Lord.
>>
So I made Cordelia a Falcon Knight, Cherche a Wyvern Lord, Tharja into a Sorceress, Lon'Qu into an Assassin

How bad have I fucked up so far, besides the fact that once they reached lvl 20 on their original role, I used a master seal instead of second seal and upgraded them
>>
>>260418582
You haven't. They'll get to level 20 again, and you can reclass to whatever else you want.
It really doesn't matter in Awakening.
>>
>>260410469
>Wrath and Resolve on a Swordmaster

Literally invincible.
Thread replies: 242
Thread images: 42

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.