[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /v/, I want to make a game. Like, actually make an indie
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: 1407702250420.png (517 KB, 937x526) Image search: [Google]
1407702250420.png
517 KB, 937x526
Hey /v/, I want to make a game. Like, actually make an indie game, seeing that shit through to the end. Even when it reaches the consumer and then gets torn apart like every game SHOULD.
But how should I start? Art and writing are both easily doable; Actually coding and making the game is what's stopping me.
Anyone know any online tutorials/books that could help me make my vidya a reality? I've got a solid idea and want to start sketching concepts, but the whole actually-making-the-game part looms over it all.
>>
That's kinda my bag. I can write, do business management, and I'm pretty sure I can compose music, but art and coding are WAY beyond me.
>>
File: 1408320570947.jpg (65 KB, 550x733) Image search: [Google]
1408320570947.jpg
65 KB, 550x733
First you gon learn

Codeacademy.com
Check out Unity
Maybe check out the source2 dota editor?
>>
>>258955115
what's your idea? we can tell you how shit it is
>>
>Actually coding and making the game is what's stopping me.
>I've got a solid idea
So you're yet another retarded idea guy. Kill yourself.
>>
>>258956737
Well, I was thinking of a 2D puzzle/platformer where the main character can't attack for some reason or another, but instead must lure enemies into traps that hypnotize them for a set amount of time, i.e. luring a big enemy into hypnosis and then proceeding to lead them to a group of smaller enemies you need taken out.
Probably some more complicated puzzles after the player gets comfortable, like gathering a bunch of hypnotized enemies and having them walk in front of you to take bullets from a turret while you slip past.
The hard part would be finding a way to make the whole hypno-trap idea stay fresh throughout the whole game and not design levels so that there's literally only one way to complete it.
>>
Better make it free and keep any type of social justice out of it or /v/ might attack you for it :^)
>>
>>258957546
sounds like odd world
>>
>>258955115

Jesus FUCK, there's been like 4 threads today about you talentless braindead losers trying desperately to pass your mediocre existence by making a game.

Oh, you have an idea? Of COURSE you fucking do.

Art and writing? You're probably shit at both.

And of course you're useless at coding and actually, like, doing stuff. That's where the WORK comes in.
>>
>>258957949
Fucking hell, just looked up Oddworld and the idea behind it is pretty much the same. My ship was sank before it even was fucking built.
(I never had a Playstation, I never played Oddworld. Be gentle.)
>>
File: 1406143698135.jpg (40 KB, 479x720) Image search: [Google]
1406143698135.jpg
40 KB, 479x720
>>258957443
>>258958318
>>
I'll be brutally honest here: you'll fail. I'm guessing you're a one-man army, no?

In that case, tone down your expectation because your only real chance is this: https://www.yoyogames.com/studio
>>
>>258958516
Well I wouldn't do everything myself, I'd obviously need a handful of people to actually make something worth playing. I would just need to make an early build to show people so they don't just go "Another idea guy."
>>
>>258955115

"art and writing are both easily doable"

nono, it's easy to spew mediocre content out.
>>
>>258958836
Still, go with GM:Studio either way- unless you plan on focusing all your time and energy on learning the basics and developing your game (which will end up mediocre by the way), dying of starvation in the process, Studio is your only option because any retard could do it.

There's a reason most indie devs. only shit out 2D, and it's not ~just~ laziness. It's either that or working under a big corporation.
>>
>>258955115

>I want to make a game. Like, actually make an indie game, seeing that shit through to the end.

For most 'indie devs' who have no idea what they're doing or what it even takes to make a game, that's about 3 hours into 'development' when they see just how much they have to learn, and how 'not fun' it is.
>>
>>258955115
you don't even know how to make a game, yet you want to make a game and see it to the end.
i hope you realize you're not even gonna take 2 decent steps towards making this a reality if that is your actual current situation.
>>
>>258955115
Use Game maker. First learn how to make a videogame. THen while you are at it learn some coding or find a group of people and offer ideas. If you are lucky maybe someone is interested in work with you.
>>
>>258958429
No need to have a play station. It was ported to PC. Play it. No human being deserves to be deprived of that game. If you like it play Exoddus. But Odysee is the masterpiece
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.