[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I enjoyed Skyward Sword. A lot.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 21
I enjoyed Skyward Sword. A lot.
>>
Anyone who had problems with the controls is a shitter who can't swing their arm straight.
>>
Best music and story. I just didn't enjoy the game play.
>>
>>257875518
Me too

I really don't get the hate. I think it was a great end to the motion controls era of Zelda
>>
File: mah-nigga.jpg (19 KB, 552x464) Image search: [Google]
mah-nigga.jpg
19 KB, 552x464
>>257875647
>>257875830
>>
>>257875518
Still best 3D Zelda for me.
>>
I loved the Silent Realm challenges. I hope the next Zelda game features them, or something like them.
>>
>>257875518
That's an interesting opinion to have. I really disliked it.
>>
File: 1374346569787.jpg (415 KB, 630x1050) Image search: [Google]
1374346569787.jpg
415 KB, 630x1050
>>257875647
it had impeccable controls really, running around and swining my sword around felt awesome. my issue with it was the level desing.

it was neither challenging nor fun figuring out what to do next. you instantly know what the game wants you to do and then you just do it.
it ends up feeling like a task more than a game.

also why did they go back to shit companions after they proved how to make a good one
>>
File: 1398182158640.gif (281 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1398182158640.gif
281 KB, 250x250
>>257875518
>I enjoyed

Get off /v/
>>
File: photo.jpg (10 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
10 KB, 250x250
I loved that Groose's character development was directly influenced by Impa, Zelda and Link. His change felt very natural.
>>
>>257876771
It isn't a question of 'what', it's a question of 'how'.
Although characters will point you in the right direction, they never tell you how to properly traverse the area, or solve puzzles.
>>
I preferred it over Twilight Princess. I loved the expressions and animations of the characters, the NPC in town are very lively.
The only thing i hated was the sky world. Empty as fuck.
>>
>>257876771
I don't see many other people with this opinion, they mostly say that you go to the same areas over again.

That was my only complaint with the game, that the dungeons were REALLY straightforward. Bosses too, but more fun The areas outside were pretty good

I know Fi talking so much is a bad point, I didn't really care.

And "revisiting" areas I feel also wasn't bad, just different
>>
>>257877196
>>257877204
I forgot about the sky
>>
>>257875518
I'm pretty sure everyone does OP. It's become the new thing to start liking, apparently.
>>
>>257877039

Fi tells you the answer to just about every puzzle if you spend more than a couple minutes in a puzzle room without solving it.
>>
>>257877509

Only if you summon her. If you don't the wiimote jingles about 4 times then stops.
>>
File: SSImpa.png (54 KB, 350x197) Image search: [Google]
SSImpa.png
54 KB, 350x197
>keeps The Imprisoned locked up, by herself for goodness knows how long
>tells Link to nut up and be the hero he's meant to be
>tells Groose to stop being a punk bitch and make himself useful
>fights off Ghirahim long enough for Zelda to get away
>watches over crystalized Zelda for a thousand years
SS Impa is fucking based.
>>
>>257877361
are you fucking kidding me
>>
Only thing I hate is the game breaking bug.
>>
>>257877662
Skyloft Mantis?
>>
>>257877361
Since that shitty egoraptor video, more people started hating ss
>>
>>257877737
What Egoraptor video?
>>
>>257877737
he never really pointed out what his actual issues with the game were though.

i wish he would, maybe he can tell me why i enjoyed it the first time but now lack any desire to replay it ever again
>>
>>257877815
the new sequelitis
>>
>>257877204
When I watch my sister play skyward sword, she can barely do anything. She has trouble figuring out what to do in dungeons.
And so I think to myself: THESE PEOPLE are why SS is so easy.
It's a fact of modern popular games that they have to be piss easy to allow dummies to beat them.
>>
File: 1363574189685.jpg (316 KB, 1280x1037) Image search: [Google]
1363574189685.jpg
316 KB, 1280x1037
in my mind, Skyward Sword wasn't very good. It certainly didn't live up to the hype, and is definitely a weaker installment then it's predecessor, Twilight Princess.

Not because any one part of the game is terrible.
In fact, no parts of Skyward are TERRIBLE ok, so maybe fi's constant interuptions were terrible, but rather there's a bunch of small nit-picks I have that all add up the the game just not being too good.
Considering the time and effort they put into the game, they REALLY should have caught some of this stuff as most of it has simple fixes.

Controls:
There are lots of awkward control scheme swaps in the game, likely due to Nintendo wanting to use as many of the Motion+'s capabilities as possible.
For instance, aiming the beetle via pointing to actually flying the beetle via tilting, and you transition between those states very quickly.
The transition from running off a cliff with the stick to controlling your free fall by tilting the wiimote was awkward too. Hope you had everything on the level before you jump or you're going to miss whatever you wanted to land on.
Surface swimming to underwater swimming is also a no good transition.

To elaborate on the awkward transitions, do you remember early 3D games? You would be playing your N64 or Playstation and walk through a door, but doing so would instantly change the camera angle? So if you kept holding up (or w/e direction) you would walk right back through the door you came through?
That's what many of the transitions in SS felt like.
I was just swinging my wiimote around like a sword, so it's certainly not centered in the screen and ready to be used as an aiming device. ect.
>>
I loved the weapon uprading. Finally something useful to do with the Monster drops.
I hope they improve this feature further with weapon trees and stuff
>>
>>257877728
It's the one where you have to gather the song parts and if you do them in the wrong order you can't progress anymore and have to start a new save.
>>
File: ExampleA.gif (1 MB, 294x202) Image search: [Google]
ExampleA.gif
1 MB, 294x202
>>257877984
Combat:
The game had the main selling point be the swordplay, but it wasn't even as good as it was in Twilight Princess, You have less options at your disposal. No Back Slice, Helm Breaker (Though I suppose the vertical spin attack behaves a little like this), Charged Jump Slice, or Sword Draw.
You can't even move and swing your sword at the same time. (and before someone tries to be contrarian and say "You didn't play the game, you can do that!" I'm talking about .gif related. You can't do THAT in SS)
Items besides the sword were also harder for the player to implement into combat. Transitioning between swordplay, bomb use, and range weapon use just wasn't as fluid in SS as in other 3D Zeldas.
There's no slow/heavy hitting weapon either. Using the Megaton Hammer/Skull Hammer/Ball and Chain were completely valid combat options in the games they're from, but it's a play style option you don't even get in SS.

More screwing up stuff that did right in previous games:
Fast travel was botched in Skyward Sword. You could fast travel from the ground to the sky, but from the sky to no where, dispite there being owl statues in several location. For instance, Want to fast travel to the Lumpy Pumpkin? Too bad, you can't do that.
The minimap, a feature present in every other 3D zelda game, was removed. This was most likely to get players to use the new beacon placing system they came up with, but the beacon system is incredibly cumbersome to use comparativly.
Each time you boot the game up, you must sit through the full description of items the first time you pick them up. This is a complete waste of time. I can read the description any time I want in the menu.
Finally, and this is a BIG one, the game will sometimes insult the player's inteligence by straight giving you the answer to puzzles, even if you didn't ask.
>>
File: 1365024528788.jpg (120 KB, 838x627) Image search: [Google]
1365024528788.jpg
120 KB, 838x627
>>257878119
Not to say that I have a problem with everything in SS.
NPCs were the most animated and engaging that they've ever been in the Zelda series.
I finally felt I had enough stuff to spend Ruppees on with all the optional upgrades.
Adding a run button is also a huge improvment over rolling everywhere, and a needed upgrade to the 3D installments from the status quo that's existed since OoT.
>>
>>257877924
pretty much right.

but we knew that nintendo was developing games for babies for a long time now, the question is why we were dissapointed.

>>257877984
>having issues with motion control
try not being a clumsy fuck.

>>257878093
they patched that, like a week afer the release
>>
File: LinkU.jpg (157 KB, 466x542) Image search: [Google]
LinkU.jpg
157 KB, 466x542
>>257876832
SS have best Zelda, Impa, Groose and Ghirahim. It can't be bad as /v say.
>>
>>257877984
git gud
The transitions get easy with practice. You just notice them when you start playing as your dumbass hands get used to actually doing something.

However, it did have the feel of having motion+ shoehorned in everywhere, even when it would be vastly inferior.
>>
>>257875518
Me too.
>>
File: malo.png (59 KB, 200x267) Image search: [Google]
malo.png
59 KB, 200x267
>>257875518
I have only ONE problem with the game:
Why is it that every time you are falling into a location it alerts you to use your parachute cloth
> PRESS B NIGGA QUICK
But you don't even have to press b it does it automatically. What the fuck
>>
>>257878290
>having issues with motion control
>try not being a clumsy fuck.

Oh course, the problem is completely my own fault.

Yeah, that totally excuses the shitty design decision to have regular movement not care about the orientation of your controller, but then having free fall only care about the orientation of your controller.

It also totally excuses the bad decision that was the surface swimming to underwater swimming control scheme swap.

totally.
>>
>>257878078
THIS. The upgrading was an amazing feature.

It had better be in Zelda U.
>>
>everyone hates the most recent Zelda game
>new Zelda game comes out
>suddenly everyone loves the last game

EVERY GODDAMN TIME, PEOPLE
>>
>>257878731
And every time they deny it, saying that it won't happen to this game.
>>
>>257878731
The zelda cycle doesnt exist.
Everyone loved albw
Everyone still loves albw
People will always love albw
>>
>>257878119
combat was still fun i think. they laid the focus on the 3 axes you could swing your sword in.
thats different but not neccessarily worse.

also the flying was fun, why would i fast travel to fucking pumpkin island when its 2 minutes of fun gameplay away.

item piuckup description is shit though, yeah.

>>257878575
>PRESS B NIGGA QUICK
>kek

>>257878646
yes it does excuse that, because all these things dont matter when youre capable of moving your fucking hand you lazy piece of shit
>>
>>257878810
The cycle only applies to the console titles.
>>
>>257878119

What about transition from sword>bow?

That was far better in SS than any other game. Being able to move with your bow drawn in 1st person was great, and quick drawing with nunchuck too.

You say combat was better in TP because of special moves, but what about all the directional attacks and directional deflections along with shield parries and weapon feinting?

All TP gave you was a neat animation and a quick way to deal with a certain enemy.

Also, the whip was a legit item to use in combat. Stunning enemies and stealing their equipment was fun.

The slingshot in SS is the best slingshot in a Zelda game to date. IR aiming and quickfire with the scatter shot upgrade was amazing for stunning multiple enemies.

As much as I liked TP combat, I think SS outdoes it in every category apart from the heavy weapons as you already pointed out.
>>
>>257878330
>SS have best Zelda, Impa
Now, I like SS Zelda, but no. Not even close.

As an Impa-fag, I'm having a hard time deciding which one is best though.
>>
>>257878871
>Everyone loved alttp
>Everyone still loves alttp
>People will always love alttp

The cycle doesnt exist
>>
>>257878810
The handheld titles seem to be immune.

The Oracle games where similarly to ALBW, always liked, and the DS titles were always disliked.
>>
>>257878119
The game never gives you an answer to a puzzle unprompted.
>>
>>257875801
It's the exact opposite for me. Plot was bare and the music was forgettable, but I like the gameplay in general and characters.
>>
>>257878963
also with OOT its the other way around.
people used to love it and now they hate it for no reason
>>
>>257878646

>Having an issue with the swimming

I thought it was the best swimming in a zelda game ever. I loved the underwater controls. Even more than Zora mask in MM.
>>
>>257878987
I like the ds games too
>>
>>257879036
No, but you get
>Master, I predict that this puzzle here has an 80% chance of taking you where you need to go
>I recommend trying the latest item you got on this puzzle here and seeing what happens
>>
File: zmm-linkzora.jpg (39 KB, 615x350) Image search: [Google]
zmm-linkzora.jpg
39 KB, 615x350
>>257879070
>Even more than Zora mask in MM

but anon, thats impossible
>>
>>257879213

I got a better feel for moving with motion + analog combo under water than just with 1 analog. I wish there was a water type temple, like the sections in AC but longer.
>>
>>257879175
How long were you stuck to get that?
If you're a retard, don't be upset when the game treats you like on.
>>
>>257878963
And yet there's three games in a row where it's happened. Also everyone knows the cycle started with Wind Waker, do some fucking research.
>>
Just some personal grudge against it, i dont like the motion controls, i dont like the collect x of y to advance the story parts.
But a good story and some good characters. Skyloft has a crazy comfy feeling
>>
>>257878875

I think that the fact you can no longer lock on with the bow makes it harder to use quickly.

I guess being able to use a bow as a close quarters weapon doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but It was something that you could accomplish in all the other Zelda games.
So in my mind, the change only served to restrict your options, which is probably actually by design since the game is kind of built around focusing combat on applications of the sword.
>>
>>257879036
Yes it does chucklefuck

When you're given the quest to find the special water to heal the dragon it shows you a clip of the spring at the end of the first dungeon

There's another section where Fi gives an answer, but I don't remember it off the top of my head.
>>
>>257879063
I always disliked Ocarina if Time. Now I have to deal with bandwagoning faggots who complain about it taking too much time instead of addressing its real flaws.
>>
Minish cap is the best zelda game
>>
>>257879790

Locking on with the bow was because it wasn't viable to use in 1st person on the N64 with its limited controls without getting whacked as you nocked an arrow.

Because of the better controls in SS, it makes it perfectly viable to be able to quickly draw your bow and fire a high powered shot whilst still moving and having a superior control over your aim thanks to light gun style of it.

It's not really restricting. It's making the combat feel better rather than giving you the easy option of locking on to fire thanks to limited controls.
>>
>>257880051
>deal with bandwagoning faggots who complain about it taking too much time

In all seriousness, people have always complained about how fucking slow King Zora scoots over.

It's like, the one meme about the game that's actually true.
Since Navi isn't actually doesn't cause that many interruptions, and the Water Temple isn't very difficult nor possible to permanently screw up.
>>
File: never.png (44 KB, 1666x981) Image search: [Google]
never.png
44 KB, 1666x981
>>257880061
Agreed.
u will never ever sleep with old men in bed.
>>
>>257880176
You are really defensive about this, why is that?
>>
So is this the new start of the Zelda Cycle?
>>
me too. But it was the first zelda game I ever played.
>>
File: 1396508159890.png (490 KB, 1280x709) Image search: [Google]
1396508159890.png
490 KB, 1280x709
I'd love to play Skyward Sword but I honestly just don't wanna waste money on Motion Plus. There is not much point in owning it and the only justification is SS. Please also consider that I don't live in the US where I could pick it up for cheap. It still costs 30-40 euros where I live, the price of a full game. Oh well.
>>
>>257880398

Not really. Just discussing why I think the bow in SS is the best version yet and why it's cool for sniping and quick drawing in combat.
>>
>>257880176
>thanks to light gun style of it.

That's another problem I had with the bow in SS.
it actually ISN'T light gun style, because it's not based on light.
the aiming doesn't use the IR sensors at all, it only used the internal gyroscope
This has the nasty side effect of ending up needing to be recentered on a regular basis.
>>
File: sequelitis.jpg (108 KB, 840x390) Image search: [Google]
sequelitis.jpg
108 KB, 840x390
>egoraptor hates skyward sword
>egoraptor is a nerd god
>we should all hate skyward sword because his opinion is always correct
>>
File: zeldapack.jpg (78 KB, 638x430) Image search: [Google]
zeldapack.jpg
78 KB, 638x430
>>257880610

>not buying a collectors edition with OST and gold Wiimote+
>>
>>257880610
Go purchase Red Steel 2

It comes with a motion +, and implements it into game play better then SS does anyway.
>>
>>257880725

It's really not that much of a problem though.. You can hit down on the Dpad in an instant. You barely have to move your thumb.
>>
I like that stamina meter, adventure pouch, and being able to upgrade items, but they need to be expaned upon and improved to really shine.

Otherwise the games has a lot of problemss, most noticably the motion controlls. They're used in almost everything you do, and they work well for some things (controlling the Beetle, Whip, and Bug Net) but are awful for others (Flying on the bird, Swimming and and truning the Big Key to fit the door). Aiming works pretty well but the Wiimote occasionally gets out of syinc, which ruins it.

Sword Combat sound good on paper but in practise it becomes a game of Simon Says where you swing the sword in the direction the game tells you. I don't blame Nintendo for trying it, but the old system worked better overall, especially since they were getting close to perfecting it, IMO.

The wort problem with the game is the reduced exploration. There's a very little content in the sky, and on top of that it isn't very fun to travel around in it due to the way the bird controls. the surface isn't any better beacause it's a made up of 3 relatively small closed off area that can only be reached from the correct hole in the clouds. It dosen't help that there were 3 seperate teams that designed each one so the quality of each is very incosistent.

You rarley, if ever, get a chance to figure thing out for yourself in these areas either because of the the games handholding. It simply shows you a puzzle of obstacle, then Fi pops out and tells you exactly what do.

TL;DR: For every good change Skyward Sword adds, there's 2 bad ones.
>>
>>257880731
I want to see egoraptors opinion about how bad SS is to become extremely popular so taht people start loving the game instead.
>>
>>257880923
It's still more of a problem then not having to do that ever.

It's just one of the places where they shoehorned the motion+'s capabilities into the game instead of using a (marginally) better method to achieve the same effect.
>>
File: 1354310128124.gif (2 MB, 300x264) Image search: [Google]
1354310128124.gif
2 MB, 300x264
>>257881058

>I want to see fat e-celebs opinion
>>
File: tsss.png (768 KB, 955x540) Image search: [Google]
tsss.png
768 KB, 955x540
>>257881058
u wot
>>
>>257881112

Either way, it's just the same as TP on the Wii with the added bonus of better drawing and movement.
>>
>>257881490
>TP on the Wii

Why would you play the wii version of TP?
Cube version of TP all the way.
The earlier example .gif is even from the cube version.
>>
>>257881175
>>257881316

These posts look eerily similar to eachother.
>replies to same post
>images feature confused males in same pose

Alternate universe posts
>>
>>257881709

Because it's the best version. Why would I play the version with worse controls?
>>
Never bothered with it. The more I read and saw, the more I was turned off. I sincerely hope Zelda U shakes shits up and makes shit more about exploration and discovery again because this whole shit with story and hand holding needs to go.
>>
>>257881814

What are you implying?
>>
>>257881897
>albw doesnt exist
>>
>>257881918
glitch in the matrix, perhaps
>>
>>257881829
RollGoal

and far better controls
>>
Straight up, this game has the best 3D dungeons in the entire series. (Ancient Cistern hrrng) Overworld left something to be desired. Bird travel was kinda fun. Ghirahim fights were fun and challenging, and it looked great for a Wii game.
>>
>>257881897
You don't have to hope about changes to conventions in Zelda U.

They told us what's it's going to be like a long while ago.
>>
>>257875518
The swimming was so good

It actually was SO GOOD
>>
>>257882067

>implying rollgoal was hard

lmao
>>
>>257875647
The motion controls are the LAST problem this shit has.
>>
>>257882210
Toilet paper had the best 3D dungeons
>>
>>257882210
>this game has the best 3D dungeons in the entire series

It had 1 (one) truly great dungeon.

Meanwhile, for top tiers, TP has: Arbiter's Grounds, Snowpeak Ruins, and City in the Sky.
>>
>>257881897
I hope we finally get customization, I'm getting tired of not being able to change my avatar.
>>
>>257875518
>mfw people bitch about the controls

If it takes you more than ten minutes to get used to them, wow.

Apparently the bomb bowling thing was a progression blocker for people. Amazing.
>>
>>257882709
>wants customization
>plays zelda
I don't understand you
>>
>>257882808
It's an rpg just like any other.
>>
>We will never get a Hyrule as in depth and as explorable as TP.

;_;
>>
>>257882924
>Zelda
>RPG
oh boy here we go
>>
>>257882924
>Zelda
>RPG

Zelda's an action adventure game with a lot of storytelling m8.
>>
>>257882924

It's not.
The genre of the legend of Zelda series is Action Adventure

one single game in the series has tried being an Action RPG, and that's Zelda II
>>
>>257882808
The adventure puch could add some customisation, if they implimented it probably, but knowing the Zelda team they'll probably scrap it completley in Zelda U
>>
>>257875518
There were some parts of it that were good, and really, those parts were really great.

And then there were some parts of it that were bad, and those parts were absolutely terrible. And between the two, it is much easier to remember the game as "That Zelda with the shitty motion controls" rather than "That Zelda which took the stealth from PH and the bead collecting from TP and turned it into one of the best parts of the game."
>>
>>257875518
Me too
>>
>>257882634
You didn't like the block shifting dungeon?

You didn't like either timestone dungeon?
>>
>>257881112
While it did force you to center it occasionally, it made the bow far better than if it used IR or God forbid, if they used the d-pad to aim. It felt more like turning a real bow and it allowed for quick turns while having the bow active.
>>
>>257882808
You know, being able to chose a different tunic, scraps of armor (gauntlets, boots maybe shoulder armor like HW Link) could cool.

If that Anon is another retard who wants sex change, hairstyles and other stupid shit pay no attention.
>>
>>257882781
lol for reals? i dont want to go back to normal controls...
>>
>>257882808
I want more "cusomization" in the sense of having only a limited amount of space and having to handpick the equipment you will carry. Also the items upgrade from SS, just bigger and better.

Being able to get some custom tunic without also nice with each part having one or more advantages and disadvantages.
>>
File: fuck.gif (2 MB, 318x550) Image search: [Google]
fuck.gif
2 MB, 318x550
>>257883608
>lol for reals?
>>
>>257878810
I disliked it, many others 2. But to many 2d fags here
>>
>>257883414
Having the entire dungeon be a block puzzle was a cool concept, but the actual dungeon contents were kind of lacking, and everything was a revisit, even the miniboss (refights were too frequent in SS in general, especially considering that the game has a boss rush if you actually want to refight bosses)

It was the game's version of Ganon's Tower

First Time stone dungeon was good, but not amazing, and 2nd timestone dungeon wasn't that great.
The desert had overall the best sections of the game though.
>>
>>257884097
>disliked albw
Can someone explain
>>
>>257884273
Short, easy bossfights, 1dungeon: 1item and it was all in all not challenging. Only liked the water dungeon.
Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.