[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>fictional setting with no ties to Earth >bunch of swords
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2
File: Annoyed_look.jpg (36 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Annoyed_look.jpg
36 KB, 500x375
>fictional setting with no ties to Earth
>bunch of swords named from real life literature
>bunch of names and references from real life mythology
>>
>>257523283
>Everyone speaks English/Japanese.
>>
EVE Online General
>>
The only series I can think of that is Final Fantasy
>>
>fictional setting with no ties to earth
>bunch of shit with retarded names
>stupid high fantasy nonwords everywhere
>>
>>257523283
Are you seriously this retarded? What do you want? Everyone talking in a new invented language so your autism doesn't turn on?
>>
>>257524045

Fucking this. I hate when games and literature do this. Fucking Final Fantasy 13 was irritating as fuck because it kept throwing around these stupid fucking words and not explaining what they mean and just expecting you to not care because "HURRR FANTASY"
>>
>>257523283

That's ok for fantasy setting. Most of such settings have some concept of parallel worlds, mirrage dimentions, time loops, destiny etc so some characters and/or object may be universal and appear in many realities
>>
>>257524153
I'm fine with using English language.

I'm not fine with using random legendary swords or mythical names that have no bearing on the fantasy world. Like, why would Longinus have any bearing on Spira?
>>
>>257524153
>Everyone talking in a new invented language
I think his gripe is with walking around some completely original donut steel fantasy world and then suddenly he has to retrieve EXCALIBUR for THOR'S CAVE.
>>
>>257524274
The worst thing is they created this kind of fucking huge book to explain all the lore and bullshit for all the Final Fantasy 13 and spin-offs they created that nobody really cared about because the story were shit and you only needed to know that Lightning was awesome.
>>
>>257524396
>>257524401
Then they would need to create new gods/culture/history and a lot of shit just to justify a couple of names you won't probably care about, when using real things as references can be a good way to name things even if that fantasy world they don't have anything to do with the real thing.

Of course there's more silly stuff than others. Naming a sword Masamune and shit like that? Ok. Spamming nordic names that just sound cool for the sake of being edgy? Lazy creators.
>>
What is the Wheel of Time, Alex?
>>
>Create your own names
>People complain about retarded sword names

>Borrow names
>People complain about fridge logic

If I made an RPG all the special weapons would just be words like"fire sword", "dragon killing lance" but foreign languages, possibly mixed (Jap word for fire, Swedish word for sword etc).

The weapon that translates to "fire sword" is actually a water element axe.
>>
>>257524831
Do you think you're clever or?
>>
>Any game
>Can use the likeliness of anything down to the finest detail, but you can't use the exact name without paying royalties
>>
>Game sets in far future
>Still use imperial unit
>>
>>257523283
Hey Brain, what are you gonna do tommorow night?
>>
>fantasy game
>Has Tesla coils
>Nikola Tesla existed in this world
>>
>>257525139
>Tesla made tons of whaky experiments
>One of them was probably some sort of dimension jumper
Any game with tesla coils and isn't in earth has the deepest lore.
>>
>>257523283
That's the only good type of fantasy you faggot.
>>
>>257525739
>being this uncreative
>>
>What on Earth is going on here?!
>>
>>257525139
>"tesla" means "electricity"
>his name used for extra reddit points
>>
>References to real life mythology
>real life mythology
I understand the point trying to be made but why can't mythological creatures exist in fantasy settings. Isn't that the point?
>>
Why does every fantasy game have 'Paladins' when the Palatine hill never existed in the game world?
>>
>>257523283
>fictional setting
>Jesus Christ I didn't see that coming!
>>
>>257530347
The myths were made in-basis to real life context.
>>
>>257530636
The funny thing is that the "alternate" name for a Paladin is a Crusader... as though apparently the Crusades happened in said fictional world.
>>
>Game references Arthurian swords (Durandal, Joyeuse, Curtana, Caliburn, etc.)
>>
File: 1329449047820.jpg (24 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1329449047820.jpg
24 KB, 640x480
If soil on Earth is called earth, is soil on Mars called mars?
>>
It's nigh impossible to divorce yourself from any cultural influences when you're trying to come up with a new mythos. So long as the world building is good it should be fine.
>>
>>257531831
It is possible if you're trying not to sound cool.
>>
>>257531831
And it's not about building a new mythos really. It's just about labels of weapons, or references.
>>
>>257524990
nah, im sure he just realizes most people aren't
>>
>>257531441
Crusades are an action as well as several events.
>>
>>257523283
>fictional setting with no ties to Earth
>It's actually Earth 3 million years in the future after the continent's change shapes drastically again, different forms of creatures exist (hell, dinosaurs were around before us, that's way crazier than a 'dragon' existing in the future), and so on
>the author just doesn't tell you

WHAT NOW
>>
>>257523973
implying eve has no ties to earth

literally retared
>>
>>257523283
>Floris mod for Mount&Blade: Warband
>Basically vanilla game with some improvements that make the game more fun
>Items like "English Longsword" although the game is set in a fictional setting
>Almost ALL units of each faction are written in the language the faction is based off
>Most names are just regular words like "Crossbowman" or "Warrior" translated to another language for the sake of it
>Adds nothing to the game except making it harder for non-speakers to keep track of their units
>>
>>257531831
this

by that logic it wouldn't make any sense for anyone to be speaking english, because in a fictional setting language would develop in a completely different way from our own
>>
>quotes from real life people in the loading screen
>>
>>257529294
>Being this much of a faggot
Go suck FF13's dick cunt.
>>
>>257534705
m-muh immersion
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.