[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will you play it when it comes to Steam? >Players may no
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 59
Will you play it when it comes to Steam?

>Players may now hold jump to continuously jump.
>Players may now hold forward and jump to ‘bunny hop’, allowing them to slowly gain up to 2x their base movement speed.
>When wielding the Gauntlet, ground movement speed is increased 6.25%.
>Introduced Loadouts, allowing players to select one Primary Weapon (hmg, rl, lg, rg) and one Secondary Weapon (mg, sg, gl, pg).
>Added global Ammo Packs, in lieu of weapon specific ammo, where each pack grants you a small amount of ammo for each weapon in your inventory.
>Added in-world item timers for “major” items, including armors, megahealth, power-ups, and medkit. Respawn timers blink once per second, and display one “pie piece” for every 5 seconds that has elapsed.
>Items have taller pickup collision boxes, so that players will not miss items as they jump over them.
>Power-up spawn indicators now appear when a power-up has spawned in the arena.
>Added new weapon, the Heavy Machinegun to act as a viable primary infinite range hitscan weapon with some but minor spread.

http://www.duelcraft.net/2014/08/08/quake-live-work-in-progress-update-leaked/
>>
>>257485113
>>Players may now hold jump to continuously jump.
>>Players may now hold forward and jump to ‘bunny hop’, allowing them to slowly gain up to 2x their base movement speed.
>>Introduced Loadouts, allowing players to select one Primary Weapon (hmg, rl, lg, rg) and one Secondary Weapon (mg, sg, gl, pg).
>>Added new weapon, the Heavy Machinegun to act as a viable primary infinite range hitscan weapon with some but minor spread.
this is not real is it
>>
>>257485113
Gimmie a real source an not some leddit shit.
>>
1st for sponge is an entitled and inept douche bag dev
>>
>>257485113
Doesn't holding jump defeat the purpose of bunny jumping?
>>
>>257485113
>infinite range hitscan weapon

Calling bullshit
>>
>>257487253
Second for sponge is still a fuckhead.
>>257485303
>>257487056
Not officially confirmed, but sponge has defended all the shit posted in #quakenet and he wouldn't defend the changes if they were bullshit.
>>
>>257485113
>Players may now hold jump to continuously jump
Why does this matter at all? You could easily script this before if you wanted it. Maybe not in Quake Live but you always could in Quake 3, who gives a shit.

>Players may now hold forward and jump to ‘bunny hop’
I can't really visualize this making much of a difference. If they mean strafe jump anyway. It takes no skill to learn how to do and once you do it, may as well be holding forward. Again, I see no point.

>Introduced Loadouts, allowing players to select one Primary Weapon (hmg, rl, lg, rg) and one Secondary Weapon (mg, sg, gl, pg)
Again, easily scriptable already. This adds nothing to thegame.

>Added global Ammo Packs
To replace all ammo packs? That's really dumb if so.

>Added in-world item timers for “major” items
I like it

>Items have taller pickup collision boxes
I like it

>Power-up spawn indicators now appear when a power-up has spawned in the arena
Sounds good

>Added new weapon, the Heavy Machinegun to act as a viable primary infinite range hitscan weapon with some but minor spread
Sounds good

>When wielding the Gauntlet, ground movement speed is increased 6.25%.
Sweet dude

Pretty meh changes overall. Couldn't care less. Won't fix the game really. Just change some stupid arbitrary shit, probably piss some vets off. Huge meh.
>>
>>257485113
Why would I want something with extra DRM added on to it?
>>
>>257487509
Who the fuck is Sponge?
>>
>>257487531
lmao
>>
>>257485113
>Will you play it when it comes to Steam?
Depends on that entails. Being locked to cancerous DRM? Fuck off and die.
>>
>>257487894
There's two guys working on QL, syncerror and sponge.
>>
>casualizing Quake
>>
File: confirmation.png (28 KB, 1112x372) Image search: [Google]
confirmation.png
28 KB, 1112x372
>>257485303
>this is not real is it
>>
>>257488013
>>257487705
nice shitpsting samefag

regardless you can play QL on steam or in its own client considering itll use QL logins

retards
>>
>>257488350
I'm so fucking done
>>
File: 1403136047821.png (368 KB, 299x722) Image search: [Google]
1403136047821.png
368 KB, 299x722
>>257487894
>Who the fuck is Sponge?

<@sponge> yea well bloodline champions has matchmaking too
<@sponge> and nobody plays that
<[eXodus]> oh so 1 failed game means its bs?
<+ia> otherwise it's just done with local variations
<+ia> which isn't globally accurate
<Fragmaster> ia you only have to do that matrix for the players added
<@sponge> oh so 2 successful games has it that means thats why?

<@sponge> because matchmaking is fucking hard, and you won't get it right the first, second, or third time
<@sponge> and the people playing the game won't give a shit if this is your first matchmaking system
<winz> perhaps it's worth hiring an outside contractor just for it?
<[eXodus]> better not try then
<winz> and with the steam release, it would have been the perfect time to do it
<@sponge> we don't have the time to find someone and bring them up to speed on our systems
<@sponge> we're talking at least 6 months of time from contracting the person to having something shippable
<@sponge> we don't even know who to contract
<@sponge> we don't have a candidate in mind

http://pastebin.com/JvuVRrwG
>>
>>257488491
>idk how to do it and im not going to bother learning
>>
>>257488491
Matchmaking is cancer. Quake doesn't need more of your cancer tier features implemented. It needs to be more open as that's what built the game into the success it is, not locked into more retarded pseudo competitive features with matchmaking.

More mods, more granular control over settings, more game modes, more maps, less control.

And it's a joke to say they won't include these things because of cheating when they haven't figured out how to stop wallhacking and aimbotting yet.
>>
Never played quake so I'm curious. What do these changes mean for the game?
>>
>>257487465
No, that's mostly a kinaesthetic thing. It feels nicer to press jump each time. Quake has a buffer on jump already, so timing isn't as premium as it is in source engine games.
>>
File: 0275.jpg (2 KB, 300x297) Image search: [Google]
0275.jpg
2 KB, 300x297
>>257485113

Oh God, when /v/ was whining about modern games being casual I didn't really pay attention and thought you're just bunch of sad neckbeards crying over video games and if someone doesn't want to waste hours of free time mastering his way with a keyboard and mouse and just wants to enjoy a game then be it.

But Quake? Fuck, now I'm 24 old successful Caucasian male with a well paid job and beautiful girlfriend and am mad as fuck over a video game too.
>>
>>257488350
Robin Williams dies and this faggot is going to casualize Quake. Fuck this day.
>>
>>257488491
Well excuse me for not keeping up with esports faggots. I play Quake with my bros at out LAN parties and over the internet because we love the game and we have been doing it for years but because you love a game doesn't mean you watch esports of it.
>>
File: 69678-69621-cooller2.jpg (55 KB, 640x426) Image search: [Google]
69678-69621-cooller2.jpg
55 KB, 640x426
>>257488965
>What do these changes mean for the game?
Game went from
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u65C-b_Jt5M
to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB6fq9Aadwk
>>
>>257485113
But I already own Quake 3
>>
>>257485113
>changing the settings make it crash on startup
why quake live

why
>>
File: nope.jpg (61 KB, 413x611) Image search: [Google]
nope.jpg
61 KB, 413x611
>>257485113
>>257488350
>>
>>257489475
There aren't any actual programmers working on QL
>>
>>257489141
>Robin Williams
Oh seriously, get the fuck out. Hide in your LE VIDYA ROBIN posts and cry HIM a river.

PS: If there's anything after death, he must be considering suicide again. Holy shit, this world.
>>
>>257487509
>not officially confirmed
Then why the fuck are you sperglords talking about this? Go do something else instead of caring about some fictional update.
>>
File: edgy.jpg (280 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
edgy.jpg
280 KB, 900x600
>>257489549
>>
>>257485113
>>Players may now hold jump to continuously jump.
Alright, now I don't have to press the jump button constantly
>>Players may now hold forward and jump to ‘bunny hop’, allowing them to slowly gain up to 2x their base movement speed.
Was strafe jumping that hard to learn?
>>When wielding the Gauntlet, ground movement speed is increased 6.25%.
Kinda adds to the strategy I suppose... People will just use the Gauntlet to move around the map faster and then switch to weapons to fight
>>Introduced Loadouts, allowing players to select one Primary Weapon (hmg, rl, lg, rg) and one Secondary Weapon (mg, sg, gl, pg).
Why? Isn't the whole point to memorize the map and item locations?
>>Added global Ammo Packs, in lieu of weapon specific ammo, where each pack grants you a small amount of ammo for each weapon in your inventory.
See above
>>Added in-world item timers for “major” items, including armors, megahealth, power-ups, and medkit. Respawn timers blink once per second, and display one “pie piece” for every 5 seconds that has elapsed.
They're making it too easy
>>Items have taller pickup collision boxes, so that players will not miss items as they jump over them.
Okay this is okay
>>Power-up spawn indicators now appear when a power-up has spawned in the arena.
They're making it TOO easy
>>Added new weapon, the Heavy Machinegun to act as a viable primary infinite range hitscan weapon with some but minor spread.
About time we have a new weapon to change it up a bit
>>
>>257485113
>Players may now hold jump to continuously jump.
>Players may now hold forward and jump to ‘bunny hop’, allowing them to slowly gain up to 2x their base movement speed.

How in anyway this good? Quake is one of the few FPS games that you need skill now this automatic jumping is just bullshit. The fuck is this "sponge" guy thinking
>>
>>257488350
Someone ask him when auto-aim will be enabled for pad players.
>>
>>257489974
You have a thread for it stay there.
>>
>>257487531
sponge pls go
>>
>>257489706
>Go do something else instead of caring about some fictional update.
It's not fictional. These changes are being tested in preparation for the Steam release.
>>257488491
>http://pastebin.com/JvuVRrwG
>>
>>257490146
>The fuck is this "sponge" guy thinking
Low the entry barrier for Steam babies
>>
Alright then.
Let's just wait for the new UT.
>>
Honestly, a super machinegun is not necessary, Just remove all the bullet spread from the normal machinegun and it would do the same job without disrupting the roles of the other weapons.

There's no good reason to have bulletspread in the first place. Why intentionally incorporate random damage spread?
>>
oh wow this is grand. Quake players always come into cs threads and shit them up with how superior quake is and now their game is getting casualized
>>
>>257492217
a lot of projection there
>>
>>257492258
>projection
have you seen the csgo threads
>>
File: csgo.png (699 KB, 1341x449) Image search: [Google]
csgo.png
699 KB, 1341x449
>>257492258
>>
It's like they are intentionally trying to ruin the game.
>>257492217
>>257492356
Reminder that those people probably don't even play Quake and are just baiting you.
>>
>>257490316
I wasn't defending these changes. They're retarded and I'm pretty meh about the whole thing. Only a few of them I like but all of them I'd rather not have. Some of them are literally nothing more than building a script into the game that you could already do in Quake 3

I really don't see the point in most of this. It will piss vets off and not make new players happier.

If they want to bring players back, turn Quake 3 into Quakeworld and provide higher graphical setting options, with better textures and model animations. And full map, mod and config support. I'm not sure how they'd monetize the game past this point. Sell it to Valve and let them sell cosmetics.
>>
>>257489989
>Alright, now I don't have to press the jump button constantly
It teaches new players to time their jumps with their strafe jump switches. Otherwise yeah whatever warsow does it I don't see them bitching.
>Was strafe jumping that hard to learn?
It wasn't hard but it requires active effort. You could practice your strafe jump and use it as an edge over other players at your skill level but now you can't.
>Kinda adds to the strategy I suppose... People will just use the Gauntlet to move around the map faster and then switch to weapons to fight
It's encouraging players to have the wrong weapon out.
>Okay this is okay
This is sort of the one change I'm sort of halfway okay with, only because I keep strafe jumping over the ya and falling into the tele on ztn.
>About time we have a new weapon to change it up a bit
I'd rather hear the rationale on this before I make a decision because at a glance this seems totally pointless.

>>257492217
Anon, no matter how much quake players shitpost it's always been in good humor. It's pretty low to kick someone when they're down like that.
I don't see much quake vs cs shitposting anyway. It's usually just 'why aren't you playing quake live shiggydiggy' nonsense.
>>
File: qlcsgo.png (237 KB, 918x410) Image search: [Google]
qlcsgo.png
237 KB, 918x410
>>257492910
>I don't see much quake vs cs shitposting anyway.
>>
>>257488768

anon, what would you think about this in general, not quite pertaining to QL but games in general:

the only servers being dedicated servers, with and without mods, but with the option for dumbfuck players to just click "matchmaking" and choose either stock or modded for random selection, and it would throw you in a random dedicated server?

Of course, server owners could opt-out of being able to be a matchmaking candidate.
>>
>>257493031
Wow it's fucking nothing. Just some cheeky cunt having a giggle.
>>
>>257492893
Railgun skins $10 each
>>
>>257492910
>go into csgo thread
>half the thread is quake shitposting
>but it's in good humor :)
>>
>>257493192
Down playing when quakers do it, hyping it up when cs players do it. Classic.
>>
>>257493128
>and choose either stock or modded for random selection
That's the problem. You can't select which modded server you join. Matchmaking is esports cancer.
>>
>>257493434
I don't hype up anything, mate. I just see shitposters shitposting and attribute to, this might surprise you so hold on to your hat, shitposters
>>257493410
Can't say I go to csgo threads, I'm sorry for that though.
>>
>>257493638
So classic narcissists behaviour
>>
>>257492217
Like the other guy said they probably don't even play quake and are seeking a reaction. They are probably not here either. Can you let us weep in peace please? Cuz you seem like a troll too right now.
>>
>>257485113
This is going to be added as the default ruleset, but Classic will still exist and will more than likely be played more. Quit being a faggot.
>>
>>257493638
Also must suck balls when cs players know personality types of humans because we must play in a team to compete so you don't even know what I'm talking about :^)
>>
>>257493813
Classic mode will be premium servers only, similar to PQL.
>>
>>257493813
Premium only.
>>
>>257493480
You can have matchmaking and a server browser, you know. Quake Live doesn't even allow mods.
>>
>>257493779
Go read some esreality, it's same behaviour as there. Oh well we can turn a blind eye to it, but it exists whether you like it or not :^)
>>
>quake
nope, worst fanbase in any game i've ever seen
>>
>>257492893
>Sell it to Valve
Plz no, Valve is maximum overjew.
Cosmetics are the cancer killing competitive gaming.
>>
>>257493860
>>257493897
Yeah, and most people who aren't fucking terrible at the game already have premium and won't have any issue with setting up classic servers for people to play on.
>>
>>257493949
The problem is that new players will enter and find the free servers totally empty. It's compounding an already present problem.
>>
>>257493949
>Yeah, and most people who aren't fucking terrible at the game already have premium
So 17 people?
>>
>>257487531
Well I dunno about QL but in CS bunnyhop script is a cheat.
>>
>>257493948
>Cosmetics are the cancer killing competitive gaming
I'd agree but you're talking about Quake Live here, which itself is already a cancerous version of Quake 3, if you cared you wouldn't even be playing QL

The fact is this game needs visibility, money and players and this game has historically had some god tier skinners. Let the community sell skins to monetize the game. Open the game modes and config up so us autists can tinker with and play everything like before.

Quake is Quake again.
>>
>>257492910
>warsow does it I don't see them bitching.
that's because noone plays warsow
>>
>>257488491
Kill me and then kill that dumb motherfucker.
>>
>>257493948
>Cosmetics are the cancer killing competitive gaming.
Cosmetics are the thing fucking growing competitive gaming. The only reason Valve puts on the international is to sell overpriced plushies and digital hats.
>>
>>257494165
Bunny hopping in Quake 3 is simply Strafe Jumping, there's no such thing unless they mean they're entirely changing the physics.

Otherwise this bunny hop change means fuck all as it's already second nature to everyone who still plays. It's about on par with weapons reloading automatically. I can't say I'll like it tho. Needing to press left and right is also kinda satisfying in a way, like driving a car with a manual transmission versus automatic.
>>
>>257494319
Xonotic does it too. No one plays it either.
>>
>>257494506
Bunny hopping =/= strafe jumping
They're not changing the physics but maybe they're changing the values on speed increases. Jumping without using the strafe keys already increases your movement speed in Quake. It's just not as good as strafe jumping.
>>
>>257494506
I thought you lose momentum / speed if you held down the jump button while strafe jumping
>>
>>257494871
If you hold down jump, you just stop jumping. You have to press the jump button again for every jump.
>>
>>257494815
From what I gathered, it was an attempt to make strafe jumping easier for noobs but if that's not the case then it will effectively do the opposite -- make the game faster and harder for noobs. I don't give a shit either way, pointless change to me.
>>
File: valve_playtesters.jpg (262 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
valve_playtesters.jpg
262 KB, 1280x1024
>>257485113
>>257488350
First they give Valve an uncontested monopoly on digital distribution despite the DRM and flimsy lack of ownership which can be revoked at any time and now their notorious retardation results in casualizing quake before it comes to Steam?

Why aren't Valvedrones treated as the subhuman pox on PC gaming that they are?
Hell, the way they argue in favor of one DRM-ridden service over another is like watching Consolegoys defend THEIR shitty platform policies.
>>
>>257495973
>Why aren't Valvedrones treated as the subhuman pox on PC gaming that they are?
One less consolepleb is why.

Once the consoleplebs have been eradicated, the next step is to force the new inductees away from their bad habits and tendencies.
>>
>>257495973
I like how your filename infers that valve playtesters are particularly retarded and not that ALL playtesters are retarded.
>>
File: 1402563516790.jpg (38 KB, 468x474) Image search: [Google]
1402563516790.jpg
38 KB, 468x474
>>257495973
>dat picture
>>
A little while ago I started a bot match and the max health and armor were 200 instead of 100. It happens in both FFA and Duel. Can someone try this to check and make sure I'm not just going crazy?
>>
>>257497227
>A little while ago I started a bot match and the max health and armor were 200 instead of 100.
That's how it's meant to be
>>
>>257493948
Im going to expand on my previous point of Cosmetics being bad.

While yes a portion of the money that is made from cosmetics does go to fund events and prizes,
most of it "especially that valve tax" goes to line Gabe's pockets and none of it ever goes to improving the game/ MM servers.
Exploiting the rise in narcissism in our society to generate a player base sounds good on paper.
However those who care enough about how they look to buy and trade virtual items with real money don't really make for the best community now do they?
Just look at how the csgo lounge/item betting has effected the non LAN tournaments, DDOSing a match to protect your bet is so much more rampant.

What makes/made quake so great and last so long was its depth and purity. We dont need to be shitting it up with more "social networking" and degenerate culture.
>>
>>257498247
>DDOSing a match to protect your bet is so much more rampant
That's pretty intense, I've never heard of that happening. Care to provide an example of when that was proven to have happened?
>>
>>257488491
>Fragmaster

how the fuck is kevin bowen still alive
>>
>>257498247
One out of ten matches at most is ddos'd, nice try though. Even today it was only Maikelele and it's most likely that the faggot just has terrible internet or was faking because they were getting reamed in the ass.
>>
i'm so fucking crushed
>>
File: valve_customer_service.png (19 KB, 670x278) Image search: [Google]
valve_customer_service.png
19 KB, 670x278
>>257497183
No inferences.
Statements in image and post of the fact that valvedrones are morons promoting cancerous practices.
>>
>>257497401
Like 225 health when you spawn? I play a lot of bot matches (inb4 scrub) and I don't remember it being like this...
>>
File: 1404610969218.png (24 KB, 117x120) Image search: [Google]
1404610969218.png
24 KB, 117x120
>>257498247
>We dont need to be shitting it up with more "social networking" and degenerate culture.
Quake is an old game for old people, right?
>>
>>257498926
Spawn with 125 hp and 0 armor
>>
File: [deep inhaling].png (104 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
[deep inhaling].png
104 KB, 900x900
I'll probably stop playing it when it comes to Steam if those changes are real.
>>
>>257498247
>"degenerate culture"
>tfw Quake is soon to be poisoned not just by casualization on par with consoles, but by the disgusting Steam usersbase
>>
File: 1250688034752.jpg (21 KB, 350x291) Image search: [Google]
1250688034752.jpg
21 KB, 350x291
>>257498898
>adjusting the design of your game to suit the player is cancerous
>this is a technique uniquely practiced by valve
Playtesters are retarded. No matter the company they're playtesting for.
>>
File: 1402379323321.jpg (33 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
1402379323321.jpg
33 KB, 500x334
>>257499374
>those skins
>>
>>257485113
no, and I hope it doesn't take a lot of space on the front page
>>
>>257499419
It's a singular example given of Valve-related idiocy yet you insist on focusing on it like it's some grammatical error.
>>
>>257485113
Good. Maybe this will teach the "pros" (a.k.a. people who aren't having fun) that they can't have a monopoly on fun. Bad players are entitled to win just as often as the good players.
>>
File: 1264826853548.jpg (81 KB, 500x533) Image search: [Google]
1264826853548.jpg
81 KB, 500x533
>>257499849
>It's a singular example
Exactly my point. It's a singular example and yet you're using it to generalise on the intelligence of an entire userbase and belittle the design choices of an entire company comprised of several development teams. It's a quote from one man (Greg Coomer) referring to one design decision (the removal of a right handed turn) in one section of one game thanks partially to one playtester (though probably many playtesters).

And you're using that as some sort of pedestal to stand on to say 'look at these valvedrones they're all retarded and every thing valve does is cancerous and a herpa derp derp'.

Playtesters are all retarded because that is the point of playtesters.
>>
File: 1404185639180.png (10 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1404185639180.png
10 KB, 200x200
>>257500702
>>
>>257485113
It's truly disgusting how the franchise with the objectively best gameplay of any FPS can be mishandled so badly by incompetent idiots
>>
File: whatafaggot.jpg (11 KB, 640x599) Image search: [Google]
whatafaggot.jpg
11 KB, 640x599
>>257500702

You're not even trying anymore
>>
>nerfing lg

What the fuck? Most players are too shit to use it already so just spam rockets all game, this doesn't make sense.
>>
>>257500802
You were given other examples of why valve drones are retarded:
>>257498898

You sure are a good little valvedrone for going full defense force mode over the demonstrable idiocy of valve playtesters and valve customers alike.
>>
No because Quake is literally the most cancerous fan base on V
>>
File: ArenaFPSMasterrace.jpg (1 MB, 3114x1462) Image search: [Google]
ArenaFPSMasterrace.jpg
1 MB, 3114x1462
>>257502358
Smells like butthurt
>>
>>257502358
lol
>>
>>257502358
>V
>>
>>257502358
>V
>>
>>257502358
The fuck is V
>>
>>257495973

Yeah, how dare Valve use their evil powers to casualize Quake Live even though id wanted it to not be casual! Just like how Valve casualized Xcom: UFO Defense right before it came out on Steam and turned Doom II into a CoD clone when it came out on Steam!
>>
>>257502358
>No because Quake is literally the most cancerous fan base on V

If you think you're so smart then why don't you go somewhere else like I, II, III, and IV? huh, faggot?
>>
File: step up nigga.png (305 KB, 383x500) Image search: [Google]
step up nigga.png
305 KB, 383x500
>>257501946
I've seen those two images posted dozens of times across the years people have been posting them. They are not evidence and you are not presenting any facts. I'm itching for an internet argument but you're not giving me anything to argue against.

My point however is that playtesters being retarded is not a problem unique to valve. Changing the design of your game due to playtester feedback is not practiced solely by valve. The entire point of playtesters is to get feedback on how to improve your game.

Changing the TOS is shitty but you can't act surprised at that reaction.
>>
>Dying genre
>Small but dedicated fanbase
>People might be interested in getting into it
>Unfortunately it takes a long time to learn everything required to get good
>ammo locations, armor locations, weapon locations, timers
>Puts off a LOT of people
>Get steam release
>Large influx of players, get frustrated, quit

OR

>Make it more accessible to the average gamer
>Release on steam
>"wow this is kind of fun"
>Large influx of players that stay playing
>acquire currency

Which makes more sense to you if you were an exec? The truth is that you're not that important and that this is a good thing for ql
>>
>>257503816
You are a fucking retard, gameplay has never been the problem, and if noobs are playing other noobs they are going to have fun regardless of how "difficult" the game is
>>
>>257503816
>Large influx of players that stay playing
Probably won't happen but one can be hopeful
>>
>>257504397
>You are a fucking retard

Do you start all of your conversations like that? All you've done is tell everyone that you're 14. People want to be good at games. The arena shooter audience doesn't want to just run around shooting people, that's what Call Of duty is for.

If you're playing arena shooters you're playing to be good, to know all of these things, to control the key items. Please go to bed , you have summer school in the morning.
>>
>>257504787
>The arena shooter audience doesn't want to just run around shooting people
>If you're playing arena shooters you're playing to be good, to know all of these things, to control the key items.
Is that why 90% of servers are clan arena?

You don't even play Quake Live do you? Stop posting, idiot.
>>
File: quakechess.jpg (33 KB, 397x298) Image search: [Google]
quakechess.jpg
33 KB, 397x298
They realized that they need to make the game more like checkers
>>
>>257505025
>clan arena
When a game is dying people are forced to play on populated servers. Near the end of UT the only servers that were populated were Low-grav instagib facing worlds servers.

I'm talking about the people who were really good are arena shooters who've stopped playing. I don't know why I'm talking to you about this though, you wouldn't remember UT. You're speech pattern suggests 12-17.

Goodnight
>>
>>257505427
>Checkers
No, no this is much worse.
They kept it chess, but replaced the horses with rooks saying 'the L pattern movement was too complex for newer players' and replaced the queen with another king.
>Quake is like chess hueheuhueuh
>>
File: utfagsgettold.jpg (76 KB, 935x360) Image search: [Google]
utfagsgettold.jpg
76 KB, 935x360
>>257505438
>you wouldn't remember UT
>>
>>257488350
Man why do devs always act like such faggots in the IRC? In fact, everyone I've seen in IRC acts like assholes? What breeds this?
>>
>>257505772
>What breeds this?
Depression and alcohol in adult males over the age of 30
>>
>>257489989
>Kinda adds to the strategy I suppose... People will just use the Gauntlet to move around the map faster and then switch to weapons to fight
That shit is fucking lame in CS, and it's lame here. All it means is one extra hotkey for a pro, and an annoying delay for everyone not playing premium.
>>
>>257485113
don't care if it's going to be watered down. the arena fps making a come back is the best thing that could happen. it's the duty of everyone to play it. it might be shitty, but if it gets popular we might get a real hardcore arena fps in the future when devs see there's actually still a market for it.
>>
>>257506324
There is a number of arena fps games already in the works
>>
>>257506324
>>257506590
and none of them have as much potential as Quake if it was handled properly
>>
>>257506705
The only reason Quake has extra potential is because of name recognition which isn't enough to bring in casuals at this point anyway.
>>
>>257506705
It is being handled properly but not by id
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Khf-kI7j9Eo
>>
>>257506590
for example? i just took a look and it seems like it's mostly just shitty projects with low production values. this obviously means nothing, but if you want to grow a game it needs high production values to draw people (casuals) in. this isn't always the case obviously, but it's mostly the case. a competitive scene is only as good as the size of its pub scene. that's where the talent comes from.
>>
>>257485113
>Will you play it when it comes to Steam?
No, in fact I intend on stopping playing once it hits Steam with these ridiculously ludicrous new changes. Although I might stick around just to tierslum for a bit to make some of these Steam casuals hate the game. None of these changes will stop good players from being able to destroy steam shitters, the only thing that could have prevented that is ranked match-making, which of course they failed to implement.
>>
>>257506823
Nope

Quake has amazing movement, amazing weapon balance, and amazing maps. I really don't see how any other developer can do any of these things better without just straight ripping off how Quake did it.
>>
>>257507019
>but if you want to grow a game it needs high production values to draw people (casuals) in.
Arena shooters don't need high production values. This is what ruined UT3. A small dedicated studio is enough development wise. Now, obviously, a high marketing budget would be really nice.
>>
>>257507019
Toxikk
Reflex
Reborn
UT4
Doom 4 (maybe)
>>
>>257507410
CliffyB's shooter as well.

John Romero is working on a shooter now apparently.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2463901/doom-creator-john-romero-is-working-on-his-first-shooter-in-over-a-decade.html
>>
>>257507545
I thought his shooter was UT4?
>>
>>257507723
Speaking of which, there was links to a public UT4 beta a while back. Anyone know if this went anywhere?
>>
>>257485113
So many of those completely fuck with the balance, holy shit. That's insanity.

The only good one there is the heavy machinegun, and I sure hope that's 2 damage a shot at fucking most.
>>
>>257507723
No, he has his own studio now and they're making a F2P arena fps, published by Nexon (lel)
>>
>>257507320
>Arena shooters don't need high production values.

i'm really not too sure about that these days. kids these days get drawn into games because of the production values. if it doesn't look like a AAA game then a lot of people won't touch it even if the mechanics and game play is all top notch.

i'm not saying arena fps needs it to be a better game, that's insane, i'm saying it needs it to grow the market.
>>
>>257507410
Toxikk looks like a shitty halo clone
Reflex could definitely be good if it gets a playerbase
Reborn has potential but 2GD appears to have lost interest again
UT4 will be bad because shit movement and gimmicky weapons
Doom 4 will be good if it actually is an arena shooter

>>257507545
Won't be an arena shooter
>>
God fucking dammit I just started to play quake again, why do casuals have to ruin everything?
>>
>>257485113
>rumor

this is some onion tier shit

i dont even play quake live and i know half of that shit would ruin the game
>>
>>257507968
>Reborn has potential but 2GD appears to have lost interest again
http://www.reborn.gg/threads/298-Moving-and-Worky-things
>>
>>257508086
It's already been confirmed

http://esreality.com/post/2635250/ql-gameplay-update-leaked-by-quakethrow/
>>
>>257508086
For the current audience but not for the stream of idiots steam will bring.
>>
>>257507137
Lots of the upcoming games do just take how Quake did it. One of the ones with the most steam, Reflex, is basically a cpma clone at this point.
>>
File: hostile_highpoly.png (2 MB, 2000x1820) Image search: [Google]
hostile_highpoly.png
2 MB, 2000x1820
>>257508653
>One of the ones with the most steam, Reflex, is basically a cpma clone at this point.
It IS a CPMA clone by some guys who were CPMA devs. They even run playmorepromode.com

They're using CPMA as a starting point with their new engine and just making improvements to it and adding modern features.
>>
>>257508998
Your post is agreeing with what I was trying to say.
>>
>>257506960
Reflex just looks like warsow and stuff, just cpma clone. What's it actually trying to do that differentiates it from ioquak3+cpma?
>>
File: New Arena Shooter.png (407 KB, 882x543) Image search: [Google]
New Arena Shooter.png
407 KB, 882x543
>>257508653
>Lots of the upcoming games do just take how Quake did it.
Yep
http://youtu.be/bj3-RsyJKfA
>>
Why the FUCK would they nerf LG but buff both RG and RL?

The game is already dominated by +back rocket spam and peek rails. And a lot of players can't even use LG at all with the current DPS.

Weapon balance in QL is fine but still a step down from VQ3
>>
>>257485113
>loadouts
Fucking dropped
>>
Hopefully the community and focus group will shoot it down.
>>
>>257509562
They already have, devs don't care. They literally don't give a fuck.
>>
>>257509364
>It ran off the same engine for a while
Even modern COD games are still based on id Tech 3, although I doubt the code base would look even remotely familiar.
>>
>>257485113
>5 months ago
>playing battlefield 4
>get mad about the netcode not working and download a rip of counter strike because it looks cool
>one month later
>destroying brazillians in counter strike
>bored as shit
>hear about quake live and download it
>get my ass kicked
>now
>tier 4 QL player

shit man, i olny had 4 months to enjoy this game

hopefully CPMA will be populated after this
>>
>>257485113
>2014
>playing rocketspammers
>>
>>257487253
>>257487509
third for sponge being incompetent
>>
>>257510382
>tier 4
>anything to brag about
Your post is especially hilarious if you're only T4 in CA and/or FFA.
>>
>>257511361
Not him but being t4 is probably more impressive than being good at most other FPS games
>>
>>257511361
i dont think im good, but it does mean that im not bad
>>
How much time will it take to have less players than Strike Vector?
>>
>>257489136
No kidding. I don't even play Quake and this shit annoys me.

Why casualize Quake, and why Quake Live? Pull a Counter Strike and make a re-release with subtle nuances instead of trying to fix what isn't broken.
>>
>>257509228
It is being developed by the guys that made cpma
>>
File: F2P.png (173 KB, 528x389) Image search: [Google]
F2P.png
173 KB, 528x389
>>257507905
Why would you want to grow the market? Look what happened to TF2. Fuck casuals, they never improve, they never learn, they never use teamwork, they don't have the faintest clue whats sportsmanship is, they don't take the games seriously, I'm so sick of good games being ruined by these retards.
>>
>mfw i've bene playing fps games for more than 10 years and i can't bunnyhop

It's like the fucking K-Style shit in Gunz Online, I don't want arthiritis when I'm older.
>>
>>257513098
Because it's dead, save for some obsessed and deluded faggots and beaners and third worlders with no money and a toaster.
>>
I was going to, but those changes are fucking retarded
DROPPED
>>
>>257513356
Then that's a problem with the market as a whole, you cannot have what made quake a good game in the first place and still be able to attract new players. When was the last time a challenging game came out that actually profited? Casuals have killed video games and it's only going to get worse.
>>
No, I played it when it came out.

Most of them old games are overrated through a combination of nostalgia and impressionable youth.
>>
>>257492064
I dont know about random damage spread, but the point of the bullet spread on the mg is to limit its effective range.
>>
>>257512981
I know, it doesn't change things though.
>>
>>257513771
But MG is supposed to have infinite range, it has a low DPS and requires constant tracking which is hard to do
>>
>>257489136
We told you bro. We tried to warn you.
But really it's not related to the rest of the bitching, this is the fuck up of a single guy who's put in control of something way out of his league without any peers to make sure he doesn't flip out and fuck up.
>>
File: 1404606973067.jpg (10 KB, 256x170) Image search: [Google]
1404606973067.jpg
10 KB, 256x170
>>257492651
>csgo
well there's your problem right there
>>
>>257513569
Casuals jumped on Quake at the time too, since it was your usual grimdark edgy shooter that teenagers liked so much in the 90s. Those who remained on though are just the cantankerous fags with years of experience by now.
>>
File: CASUALS.jpg (34 KB, 263x277) Image search: [Google]
CASUALS.jpg
34 KB, 263x277
>>257514390
>Casuals jumped on Quake at the time too
Casuals weren't even a thing at that point in time. You did not see your grandmother or dudebros playing doom and quake.
>>
Yeah sure what could possibly go wr...
>all dat shit
NOPE

Maybe just a little bit
>>
>>257514535
You think teenagers are so much better then?
>>
File: cool guys.jpg (48 KB, 801x532) Image search: [Google]
cool guys.jpg
48 KB, 801x532
>>257514713
who do you think made these games in the first place?
>>
File: Screenshot_6.jpg (188 KB, 582x462) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_6.jpg
188 KB, 582x462
>sponge
>>
>>257514793
Manchildren?
>>
File: normalfags 12.jpg (319 KB, 900x627) Image search: [Google]
normalfags 12.jpg
319 KB, 900x627
>>257514916
why don't you go back to posting drunk selfies on facebook and jerking off over skyrim?
>>
>>257514908
Topkek
>>
>>257514908
He's mostly right.
Well I mean he's wrong about the first part because Toxikk looks fucked but they're trying too build too much hype when arena shooters are about 'make a good game, don't fuck us over and we'll play it' rather than building up hype.
>>
>>257514908
Is he a SJW? Saw him tweeting "Gamers are terrible pt. 588905" or something at some guy replying to a EA tweet about some gay pride shit, saying there should be a straight pride day
>>
>>257515105
Why? Because I'm noting the obvious fact, that kids liked Quake and what's left of their fanbase is deluded idiots with far much time spent to figure out why it has fallen into oblivion? Because I'm not discussing this old tripe of a game anymore just like you?
>>
File: douche.jpg (33 KB, 366x504) Image search: [Google]
douche.jpg
33 KB, 366x504
>>257515569
>that kids liked Quake
says who? your ass?
it was always teenagers.

> what's left of their fanbase is deluded idiots with far much time spent to figure out why it has fallen into oblivion?
We already know why it's fallen into oblivion, because the average gamer today is you. Some dudebro piece of shit who picked up gaming because it's in right now but you don't actually care enough to play anything that has any sort of challenge.
>>
>>257516169
And now, teenagers don't care about your edgy grimdark jumpy and twitchy tripe, but instead prefer tacticool slow as molasses unlock to win tripe. There is nothing wrong, Quake was something hip in it's time, now is a dead horse beaten to a pulp.
>>
>>257516570
>edgy grimdark
Compared to mowing down waves of russians in cowadooty?
>jumpy and twitchy tripe (read actual skill required)
>There is nothing wrong
>Nothing wrong with every challenging game being killed off one by one and the death of an entire medium
>SJW iphone games are superior, why would you want anything else?
>>
>>257516816
If shit sells and lets people play, it wins over rehashing a decade old game with a nonexistent playerbase. No matter what, Quake made its time, and these futile attempts are similar to a middle aged man trying to look young in order to score some fresh pussy, and manage to make himself miserable in the process.
>>
>>257514713
no, but most teenagers back then didn't play video games, let alone PC shooters
>>
>>257517258
>and these futile attempts are similar to a middle aged man trying to look young in order to score some fresh pussy
Nobody is defending these new changes. QL was fine as it was.
>>
File: 1406084544931.gif (971 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
1406084544931.gif
971 KB, 500x250
>>257485113

>mfw players can continuously jump
>mfw bunnyhopping
>mfw melee go fast
>mfw loadouts
>mfw spawn indicators
>>
>>257497184
>your picture
>>
>>257518224
>your
>>
>>257508086
>half of that shit would ruin the game
That's the point
>>
>>257513771
That could be accomplished far more effectively with range-based damage falloff if you really wanted to limit a weapon's effective range. Also, in the machinegun's case, it would be a good thing if it had a long effective range like the railgun. It could bridge the gap between the railgun and the plasma gun.

Basically, imagine a precise low DPS weapon effective at really long ranges. The MG would easily get out-moded by the lightning gun in the LG's effective range or really by any other weapon up closer, but without the bullet spread it would fill a unique design niche for Quake, as well as doing a little to help prevent matches from snowballing as hard as they do by giving fresh spawns a bit more of a fighting chance. The game gains a new element of strategy, freshly spawned players, like beginners are slightly less sitting ducks, and it doesn't harm any of the other elements of the game because an MG can't compete with any of the other weapons at what they do best.
>>
>>257517514
I'm sure it was, with all those players and all those insightful discussions about how your ruleset of choice is better than it.
>>
>>257518308
Low tier "trolling"

Go back to 9fag, 9faggot
>>
Well, back to CPMA then
>>
>>257517376
Then my friend just imagined the computer room of his old high school where all the computers had UT99 and Q3 installed.
>>
>>257519327
yeah one guy playing it with his roommates sure is the same as every single pleb these playing CoD or ASSFAGGOTS
>>
>>257485113
Does this mean vanilla Q3 Arena will come back? Surely no-one will pay to use the classic servers...
>>
File: 1407788019819.png (261 KB, 390x383) Image search: [Google]
1407788019819.png
261 KB, 390x383
>>257485113
>MFW people actually believe this shit is going to happen
>>
>>257519938
>mfw people are still in denial

It's already been confirmed, check ESR
>>
>>257519520
Considering that the last game I've seen playing from him is MW2, yes, indeed it is. People grow, after all.
>>
>Items have taller pickup collision boxes
Stopped reading right they're.
>>
File: 1406766457495.jpg (46 KB, 424x505) Image search: [Google]
1406766457495.jpg
46 KB, 424x505
>>257520075
I don't give a shit who reports it, I REFUSE to believe someone has ruined Quake.
>>
>>257520319
>denial

http://esreality.com/post/2635250/ql-gameplay-update-leaked-by-quakethrow/
>>
>>257519825
no because current quakelive babbies will play one game, realize what the LG was like in that game, quit and never ever return

people don't realize how fucking nerfed the LG is in qlive
>>
For those of you who doubt Reflex.
Take a moment to look through Fleabitten's responses to questions on reddit.
It seems, for the moment at least, that we are in good hands.

http://www.reddit.com/user/fleabitten
>>
>>257520623
160 to 140 DPS isn't that big of a nerd. Railgun got nerfed from 100 to 80 per shot which is more significant.

And isn't it easier to hit in QL with the new hit boxes and netcode

I'm really not looking forward to LG getting nerfed to 120 DPS though. Doesn't make sense why they would do this while buffing the RG back to 90 per shot. Fucking idiot devs.
>>
>>257521201
>160 DPS to 140 DPS isn't that big of a deal

It's actually a pretty big deal because lightning gun matches take a bit longer.

The Railgun nerf is much more of a dramatic impact though.
>>
>>257485113
What the actual fuck are they thinking?
>>
File: 1405766985837.jpg (1 MB, 3114x1463) Image search: [Google]
1405766985837.jpg
1 MB, 3114x1463
So I guess somebody will need to make a new edit of pic related when this happens
>>
>>257485113
Hey remember how fortress forever advertised shit like bunny hopping and holding down the jump button to continuously jump and bunny hop?
Because you know it was clearly intended for everyone to be jumping around the map looking like a flying, crouching dumbass at mach2

Boy that game sure is popular.
... isn't it?

Whoever decided on this shit is a dumbass and probably a fan of fortress forever trying to shoehorn these shitty gameplay mechanics because its so pro and how its meant to be played or some shit like that that the fortress forever retards like to tell themselves.

Sure quake3 does have bunny hopping, but the game didn't do it for you and typically called for shooting a wall or floor with a rocket to propel yourself.

This is just stupid.
>>
>>257485113
I won´t play it becausae it´s shit game and /v/ sucks it´s dick only because of nostalgia
>>
>>257485113
Quake finally goes casual.
Rest. In. Peace.
>>
File: I tried.jpg (2 MB, 4384x1456) Image search: [Google]
I tried.jpg
2 MB, 4384x1456
>>257522428
>>
File: 1403558617978.png (53 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
1403558617978.png
53 KB, 645x773
>Introduced Loadouts, allowing players to select one Primary Weapon (hmg, rl, lg, rg) and one Secondary Weapon (mg, sg, gl, pg).
>Added the command “weapon toggle” to toggle between your Primary and Secondary weapons.
>>
File: 1378626397207.jpg (75 KB, 300x360) Image search: [Google]
1378626397207.jpg
75 KB, 300x360
>>257492651
Here we go, quake elititsts thinking their game is better.
lol
>>
File: 1399233815560.jpg (42 KB, 500x511) Image search: [Google]
1399233815560.jpg
42 KB, 500x511
>Items have taller pickup collision boxes, so that players will not miss items as they jump over them.
>>
>>257485113
>>When wielding the Gauntlet, ground movement speed is increased 6.25%.
Stopped reading there. Will there be a Quake 3 mode that plays like Quake 3?
>>
>>257520216

2/10
>>
File: 7MUT.jpg (29 KB, 400x449) Image search: [Google]
7MUT.jpg
29 KB, 400x449
>Public TDM Settings
>New ruleset in full effect
>Friendly-Fire disabled.
>>
>>257520216
too obvious.
>>
>>257524269
it's perfect
>>
>Players may now hold forward and jump to 'bunny hop', allowing them to slowly gain up to 2x their base movement speed.
does this stack with regular strafe jumping?
>>
>>257526027

>strafe jumping at 2x speed

Can't wait for people to whine about hackers going too fast. And then the speed getting nerfed.
>>
How would anyone think these are good changes to the game?
>>
>>257526790
nobody does, except for the developers, and there's only two of them, and they don't even play the game or do anything productive like add matchmaking or anti-cheat
>>
File: 1359299452552.png (322 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1359299452552.png
322 KB, 640x480
>>257485113
I still don't believe this, it seems purpose built to shit on everything that people play quake for.
>>
File: 50_cent-.png (243 KB, 333x378) Image search: [Google]
50_cent-.png
243 KB, 333x378
>>257485113
Thanks, Bethesda
>>
If I pirate Quake 3 and CPMA can I still play with people
>>
>>257527392
I think so, but I'm not sure. Haven't tried it myself yet because QL was free and probably has more shitty players like myself who I could play with.
>>
>>257524269
I laughed, and then I cried.
>>
>>257488491
Matchmaking is fucking stupid anyways. Just do a server list like a normal person
>>
>>257528429
The point is new players would be matched with other shit players so they wouldn't get upset and stop playing and we wouldn't have to ruin the game with all these stupid retarded changes
>>
>>257485113
>http://www.duelcraft.net/2014/08/08/quake-live-work-in-progress-update-leaked/
Sounds fucking awful. Why play Quake with bunnyhop? Just go play Warsow if you can't strafe jump.
>>
I don't get it, if everybody thinks these ideas are terrible then why are they going through with it? Are they too stubborn to admit they were wrong or do they really just not give a fuck about the players, some of whom have been around and loyal for 10-15+ years. I'm lost for words really.
>>
>>257528743
>The Classic Quake Live Experience will ONLY be available through create a match, meaning only pro subscribers can unlock classic for others to play.
They just make a easier version for all the steam faggots.
>>
>>257528950
Except some of the changes are universal like nerfing LG even more which is fucking stupid as fuck
>>
File: 1328107169366.jpg (65 KB, 379x214) Image search: [Google]
1328107169366.jpg
65 KB, 379x214
>>257528743
>>257529031

it's the "we want to reach a wider audience" thing. Happens to every series nowadays
>>
File: 1402901972215.jpg (43 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1402901972215.jpg
43 KB, 500x500
>>
>>257485113
>http://www.duelcraft.net/2014/08/08/quake-live-work-in-progress-update-leaked/

If this is really I'm not just quitting Quake Live, I'm quitting PC gaming altogether.
>>
>>257529031
RL is overpowered, not LG, nerf that
>>
>>257485113
Some of these "changes" are too obvious. Nice try though OP
>>
>>257485113
>this kills the quake
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 59

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.