[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"Tiers don't matter, play who you like!"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7
File: 213.jpg (131 KB, 685x626) Image search: [Google]
213.jpg
131 KB, 685x626
Low tier fags BTFO
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGh4ZU4H5Hk

From the King himself
>>
tiers don exits
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (144 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
144 KB, 1920x1080
>>255955539
>>
Sorry, but I like to have fun. Not be a massively competitive autist.

Quit taking videogames so seriously.
>>
The issue with picking a top tier character isn't that it teaches you the basics, it in fact teaches you the opposite. In most cases said character is top tier because it has problems with balancing in regards to the other characters. It's essentially a crutch, not a bad one mind you, but a crutch all the same. While you will still learn some fundamentals and mechanics, you're relying solely on that character's particular strengths in regards to the other characters, on top of that if you focus solely on said character, you wont have time to learn the other characters and how to defend against them.

Any player can git gud with a top tier character, but if they still don't know how to play against/defend against a bottom tier scrub character, then chances are they're going to lose every time because of this lack of fundamentals for the entirety of the game, because they choose to just focus on one simple and small aspect of the game solely because that character is considered "good".
>>
>>255955539
I kept waiting for him to throw something.
>>
>>255955457
>both games have an incredibly rigid top tier
Read: Both games are incredibly unbalanced
>>
I never got this. Not all characters are born equal.
Most of the time all characters are viable at low level play unless you play a total joke character
>>
File: tires don exits.jpg (67 KB, 680x373) Image search: [Google]
tires don exits.jpg
67 KB, 680x373
>>255955693
>>
>>255955457
But it's a guide for new players, and yeah, not picking a low tier as a beginner is good advice. But that has no bearing on what you find fun once you've stepped your game up.
>>
Tiers r 4 queers
>>
>>255955693
Yes they do.

Characters have different hitboxes and frame data.
Some are bound to be mathematically better.

Saying tiers dont exist is like saying Math and Logic dont exist.
Its incredibly stupid.
>>
>>255955457
Always pick the character you like, it doesnt matter if its Low or Top tier, if you dont enjoy the character and the character doesnt suit you then you arent winning shit.
>>
File: 1399955833734.webm (3 MB, 350x196) Image search: [Google]
1399955833734.webm
3 MB, 350x196
>>255955457
remember kiddos play to win not for fun

man i fucking swear the tourneyfag scene is the worst
>>
Unless the character is just super easy to cheese the game out with like mitsuru in p4a it won't help. Tiers are meant to be how much a character would win against another if two amazing players where against each other, half the time though it is just what some guy thinks. For a new to intermediate player it means jack shit
>>
File: Untitled.png (299 KB, 436x563) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
299 KB, 436x563
Only shit games have so many tiers that a 'top' tier even exists

Fighting games are garbage, with such varied movesets and then players finding glitches, they can never be balanced without a lot of attention from the devs

I'd say the same about Dota-likes as well, as a sub genre, though the devs do actually care a lot more about trying to balance their games. Well, except Riot
>>
>>255956250
this nigga, I know how important all this shit is to you, but it was just a maymay before brawl release
>>
>>255956309
For some people winning is fun anon. I'm not a big fan of losing myself.
>>
File: 1405476357172.jpg (22 KB, 356x357) Image search: [Google]
1405476357172.jpg
22 KB, 356x357
>>255956359
Fucking this
>character in fightan game are unbalanced
>devs fix them
>playerbase gets mad and then abandon the game
>>
>>255956158
The whole point is those characters are viable at low level play because in low level play people are doing random bullshit that isn't how the game really works, so you can get a totally warped idea of what is actually good.

If you think in terms of SFIV the characters are pretty samey and for the size of the cast very well balanced so there's nobody who's just total random garbage besides like El Fuerte, but in Marvel or 3rd Strike you've got characters that can't do shit all that's actually useful in serious play.
>>
>>255956390
Not saying i only pick top tier, i mostly main low to mid tier characters since i like most of them more playstyle wise.

And thats ok since i dont play in high tier tournaments.

But its just silly saying that tiers dont exist.
Or that "its only the player not the character".
Its always the player + the right tool.

I know its bait in most cases, but people who really believe tiers dont exist are retarded beyond measure.
>>
>>255956309
You do realize that they play to have fun too, they just think winning is fun. The majority of people who go to EVO do not get butthurt that they lose, sure some of them are upset, especially if they get close, but not all of them are crying and whining about it like babies.

This seems to only be a thing on /v/, when the majority of /v/ would never even get close to EVO qualifiers. Some would, but most would not.
>>
>>255955539
>Implying I should take a has-been like Stanford Kelly seriously
Tell me, what has he accomplished lately aside from breaking a $200 video game controller?
>>
>>255956643
I explained it to you man. I explained the joke. You didn't have to laugh or anything, but shit. Can I have some of your adderall?
>>
The importance of using a top tier character in a competitive game is completely dependent on what game it is and how it plays.

In a game like Marvel vs Capcom 3, there is no reason to pick low tiers in a competitive setting because the game rewards broken combos and generally overpowered shit.

In Street Fighter IV, picking a top tier never matters (except Yun before the nerf) because the game rewards you for how good you are with spacing, fast and precise inputs, and matchup and move knowledge. Picking top tier never guarantees that you will do well.

In a game like Smash Bros. Melee, the game rewards speed and combos. There is no reason to pick anyone from the lower tiers because the top tiers will always have better moves and more guaranteed combos that will kill no matter what.

The only game in my recent memory where it absolutely matters, strangely enough, is Smash Bros Brawl.

Meta Knight is such an absurd character that breaks the very ideas of the game, so there is no reason to pick anyone else but him, and he himself is placed in a god-tier above everyone else, which is something that has never happened before in Smash Bros. competitive history.

In most other games a very skilled player will beat anyone tier-whoring to a top tier, and picking a top tier does not guarantee success or better performance in any way.
>>
>>255956774
Yeah since the cammy nerf he suddenly is a shit tier player.
>>
>>255956643
Tiers exist, but it's still really the player before the tier. A scrub using top tier characters will always lose to someone good using low tier characters.

Just the same as someone who is top tier with a controller will likely beat someone who is top tier with a stick.
>>
>>255956803
Why are you so mad man ?

I just explained my point to you.

I got that you used a meme.

Reading comprehension helps.
>>
>>255956959
Pikachu was in his own tier in 64.
>>
>>255957032
>Tiers exist, but it's still really the player before the tier. A scrub using top tier characters will always lose to someone good using low tier characters.

I totally agree with that.
Its just that on a really high level of competition you cant expect making a bad choice on the character select screen and still taking the tournament.

Ironically its almost arrogant to pick a low tier character in such circumstances, thinking you are so much better than all those highlevel players that you can beat them with shitty tools.
>>
>>255957391
I don't disagree with that unless you're truly confident and good at said character. But in most cases it's rare due to imbalancing issues.
>>
>>255957483
You can also profit from people not knowing the matchup that helped Xian winning Evo.

Also sometimes some "lowtier" characters arent as bad as people would have thought and they underestimate you, which in return also helps scratching up some wins.
>>
>>255955457

Holy fuck, Hayato/Jin/Amingo were my very first team.

Then I moved to Guile/Cable/Jin. And I never learned another team ever again. Got good enough that I could stand up to really top tier players. I can usually get a surprise win on them the first time due to Guile Air Flash Kick annoying cross up shit, but after that I have to work REALLY hard to get a win.

I beat Reset MM once when he was actually playing. He got visibly salty as fuck because he had some friends with him when he lost and he pulled MSP on me and I got totally rekt.
>>
>>255956309

Holy shit. That drop reversal. All that fucking hard work just to get punished by a random jump in.
>>
File: 1404411576346.jpg (65 KB, 559x600) Image search: [Google]
1404411576346.jpg
65 KB, 559x600
>>255955457
Are tiers good for a beginner??
>>
>>255958334
Yes pick sakura shes high tier.
>>
>>255958235
long ass unoptimized combo for running the clock/bar, i mean look at the scaling

iori won fair and square in even if it hurt to watch a bit
>>
I hope noone comes to /v/ for sound fighting game advice. Misinformation everywhere.
>>
>>255958334
Not really. Pick someone basic to learn how the game works while experimenting with the cast to find someone you enjoy playing and who meshes with how you want to play. Tier lists are made with all characters being played at their absolute best in mind and can be in constant flux as new tricks and tactics are discovered. So just pick Ryu first.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.