[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what did you guys think of the DLC? A bit overpriced, but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 12
File: DarkSoulsIIDLC1Review-Image1.jpg (502 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
DarkSoulsIIDLC1Review-Image1.jpg
502 KB, 1920x1080
So what did you guys think of the DLC? A bit overpriced, but holy cow I had a blast with the Sinh fight. Actually the whole thing was pretty fun and felt like a nice addition.
>>
Also dat music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAVCkVclNR4
>>
I might get the 'goty edition' on ps3

otherwise I'm just not very interested in bite-size Souls
>>
Nash on Fire felt more like a final boss than actual Nash.
>>
>>255609446
Agreed, I actually was surprised by how much I liked that fight. I feel like more interaction regarding Throne Watcher and Defender would have been nice (like maybe if she ate them she got stronger or something).

Plus nice music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckGyYWowMgc

>>255609273
I was too excited about more Souls stuff and didn't want anything spoiled, so I just cruised through it this weekend. Actually was a lot better than I expected, I was pretty nervous about such early DLC.
>>
File: 01.jpg (20 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
01.jpg
20 KB, 480x360
>>255609446
To be fair, I don't think Nashandra was supposed to be a real final boss. Fromsoft loves giving you a weakling to bully at the very end, for whatever reason.
>>
>>255610709
There wasn't any weight to the fight compared to Allant or Gwyn though, because they really didn't do anything with Nashandra. It would have been nice for them to at least not cut half her dialogue.
>>
File: 1403211865031.png (69 KB, 270x270) Image search: [Google]
1403211865031.png
69 KB, 270x270
I really liked it and I had a lot of fun with it, but there are people that will still try to convince me that my opinion is wrong and I should hate the game and this DLC. lel
>>
>>255608986
Sinh fight was pretty good. Music was good too.

I liked the level design as well as you actually open up useful shortcuts and stuff.

Red phantoms and summons were cool because they actually taunt and throw talismans at you.

It felt a bit short though.
>>
File: 1405751627397.png (208 KB, 386x328) Image search: [Google]
1405751627397.png
208 KB, 386x328
>>255611479
>I like getting fucked in my asshole while someone shits down my face, but good thing I believe in my strong opinions like mommy always taught me!
>>
>>255611601
I shat my pants at Jester Thomasson gesturing and what not.
>>
It was good except for the boss fights.

The two gankfests were not fun at all even though I didn't have much trouble with them. Sinh wasn't bad necessarily and I didn't find him too hard either, but the amount of time he spends in the air is fucking infuriating as a melee character. I mean can you magic fags even reach him with your spells when he's flying? I thought that fight was fun when he was actually on the fucking ground, but if RNG decides it wants to troll you, you're just waiting around. What is the point?
>>
>>255611696
If you compare the content of this DLC with getting fucked in the asshole, you probably just didn't like Dark Souls 2 that much to begin with.
>>
>>255611227
To be fair, you never really did anything with Allant or Gwyn either. Allant speaks to you a grand total of one time with a vague taunt, and you've got no interaction with Gwyn at all until right at the end. And yeah, Gwyn and Allant both get mentions, but Nashandra does too, and the whole Vendrick thing adds a lot of weight to it.
>>
File: 1404008116465.png (199 KB, 355x268) Image search: [Google]
1404008116465.png
199 KB, 355x268
>>255611696
you really managed to change my opinion there buddy I will stop playing from now on :^)
>>
>>255611951
>guys we won't do DLC
>here's 3 DLC and a season pass goyim
>>
People say the DLC wasn't cut content, but honestly I'm willing to bet that the DLC -is- cut content, and instead of collecting great souls you were originally supposed to get the great crowns. Seems to be what Vendrick's dialogue hint towards, and it would be a progression much more similar to Dark Souls 1.

In Dark Souls 2, you go into the Great Soul hunt right away. But if the DLC had been part of the default game, then you would truly have a turning point in the game where you simply go from "bearer of the curse" to "coveter of the flame", which is what happened when you reached Frampt in DS1, and what happens when you reach Majula in DS2.

The fact that the level design in Sunken King is better than both the level design in DS2 and in DS1 I think tells a whole lot about just how badly DaS2 was rushed.
>>
>>255611875
Whether Sinh decides to fly is largely calculated by your position relative to him, not RNG. He'll chose specific attack patterns if you're on the opposite side of the room, and if you want him to spend time on the ground you actually have to run to where he's flying to and meet him there.
>>
excellent, i'm happy with it. season pass means it was $8.33, which is very reasonable.

i bought ds2 day one on both ps3 and pc. when the ps4 version inevitably comes put with all dlc included, i'll buy that too. from's dick is literally anchored in my ass and i dont even care
>>
If I have one complaint, it's that Dark Souls balance is horizontal.

It was not going to be possible to get anything objectively better in this DLC, just things that are different. But the fact that a new crown, which most people get on at least their second run, has 10 points less than Vendrick's in every category and no special effect, is pretty dumb.

Also I don't think we're going to get any real, less than obtuse info out of Vendrick's crown speeches
>>
>>255612121
It's probably cut content, but only in the sense that it's cutting room floor material; never developed to any extent where it could actually be included in the game, but the idea existed. As I understand it, most DLC is like that.
>>
>>255608986
Didn't buy it. But had fun going through it. Just wish the Sanctum Shield was actually better at dealing with Dark spells than the Silverlblack shield.
>>
>>255612212
>PS4 version
>Inevitable

I don't know, anon. I don't think From will bother at all.
>>
>>255611227
The thing is that Nashandra's involvement is way too vague. In DS1, you keep hearing about Gwyn, how he was the greatest of the gods. He is hyped up because even though you keep slaying the four great ones, you have no idea what he's up to. All we know is that he's missing.

Much of the same applies to Vendrick, but in Vendrick's case he is only referred to as the king, who stole from the giants. The four great ones come out of nowhere.

After you ponder it long enough, it becomes clear why Nashandra wanted the throne, and why Vendrick did what he did when he realized he had been played like a violin. But it's not intently obvious, and in fact it's way too vague.
>>
>>255610709
Then who's supposed to be the Final boss? Giant Lord? Guardian Drake?
>>
>>255611849
Nigger, I was just bolting past all the ghost swordsman motherfuckers trying to get to the next area, when out of fucking nowhere Jester motherfucking Thomas pops up right in front of me with his shit eating grin.

So I just ran across that entire marsh water area trying to dodge all the mouth-faced dinosaur cunts with him just hurling forbidden suns at my rectum.

Shit was so cash.
>>
>>255612315
Thing is, at this point I'm afraid that Dark Souls 2 is mostly cutting room floor stuff. Early areas like the Lost Bastille and No Man's Wharf are properly designed and will take you at least a little while to get through.

If you run past the enemies, you can finish Aldia's Keep in five minutes. Same with the Dragon Aerie. Drangleic Castle is smaller than the Duke's Archives. It's obvious that loads of stuff couldn't be included because the game was rushed as shit.
>>
>>255612459
Darklurker would have made a fine final boss instead of Nashandra.
>>
>>255608986
sinh was pretty good, but it took too long imo. also for some reason all my weapons broke on him after like 10 hits.
>>
File: Darkdiver_grandahl.png (230 KB, 246x436) Image search: [Google]
Darkdiver_grandahl.png
230 KB, 246x436
>>255608986

I thought it had some terrible bosses, it starts out with three armored humans, then Nashandra 2.0 who summons enemies/Velstadt and lastly a dragon.
The rest was mediocre and underwhelming when I compare it to Artorias of the Abyss.

It ain't terrible, but not very memorable.
>>
>>255612459
Nobody. They just don't give you one in any of their games.
>>
>>255612448
I didn't think it was that vague. The fact that the King is missing and the Queen is sitting on the throne like a hotshot paints a pretty clear picture of the situation right away.
>>
I thought it was pretty great.

Best level design in Dark Souls 2. I liked how the bonfires were much more spreadout and took some more effort to reach. Enemies were pretty strong and not to take lightly(though I did play on NG+).

Boss fights were great fun, but lazy in terms of their design.

Interesting bits of lore. Seems like all the former kingdoms fell apart because of the Queens who are all shards of Manus. Which is basically proven by people looking into the updated files

A little pricey if you don't go for the season pass, but still great. The Artorias DLC at the moment still remains the best.
>>
>>255613004
>It ain't terrible, but not very memorable.
That describes DaS2 in general.
>>
So.. what exactly is the use of the crown? does it have some kind of special effect?

already went into vendricks memory, but if that is all then the crown is a bit disappointing
>>
>>255613746
Rumor has it that when you collect all of the crowns you unlock a secret ending or something.
>>
>>255612121
That's not surprising. Bamco likes to say how they are treating DaS2 as a AAA game, in reality they are forcing the same rushed deadlines(if not even worse) they did to DaS.

DaS1 got rushed to shit, completely falling apart in the final act in many aspects. Many concepts were abandoned, which you can see in all the files people have found. Then the big chunk of cut content, the dlc, largely doesn't have huge problems.

DaS2 gets the same exact treatment. Then the big chunk of cut content, the dlc, largely doesn't have huge problems.
>>
Why did Sinh have the king's crown in the first place?
>>
AotA>Dark Souls=Demon's Souls>Sunken King>Dark Souls 2
>>
>>255614326
The King got killed right in front of Sinh while he was sleeping. There seems to be some magic or something binding it to the area, you get the crown only after you defeat Sinh when you enter the light.
>>
File: Gutter.gif (659 KB, 1650x924) Image search: [Google]
Gutter.gif
659 KB, 1650x924
Absolutely great level design. Even better than the gutter. Now if we could also work in torches into the next DLC map
>>
>>255614326
The king defended the slumbering dragon from Yorgh until the very end, he was likely killed near Sinh's arena.
>>
>>255612121
Every game has cut content, and I'd rather that they include it in the DLC instead of just burying it so they can say the DLC is all new. At least DaS2 was as unfinished as the first game. Even without the DLC it's twice the game DaS was.
>>
>>255614695
In my book the gutter looses a lot of points for samey-boring art assets.

You never reach visually interesting areas, while in the DLC almost each room is interesting to look at
>>
>>255614695
gutter is pretty cool, but fuck those giant rats/moles whatever they are. the hitbox on their bite is ridiculous
i know that the hitboxes are wonky in general, but this is where i personally felt it the most
>>
>>255613921
Vendrick kinda says that you need them to link the fire, I bet it is going to be:
>Get the crowns, beat nashandra again and you get to see a 3 second long animation of your character linking the fire
>>
>>255615318
Those things are really the only actual instance of a bad hitbox in the whole game, and they don't show up often. And once you realize it's because they reused the skeleton dog attack animation/hitbox you just have to pretend you're fighting those instead and it works out alright.
>>
>>255615318
yea the big dogs and big mummies have the worst hitboxes in the whole game
>damage is dealt before the dogs even swing
>can't hit the mummies from behind at all with a curved sword
>>
File: praise the suuuuuuuuuuun.jpg (220 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
praise the suuuuuuuuuuun.jpg
220 KB, 500x667
>>255615625
>Solaire emerges from the flames and engages in jolly cooperation

watch it happen
>>
>>255613335
>right away
Like 60% into the game when she was mentioned for the first time. She has about the weight of Gwyndolin in the first game but at least he had a ring.
>>
>>255613746
>Vendrick's Memory
Wait what?
>>
You were king Vendrick in the past all along.
>>
>>255615989
if you got the DLC and the AMH you can go into his corpse in the crypt
>>
>>255614695
>gutter
>good
Boy I love it when the floor breaks under me with no indication that it will and then I can't get back up!
>>
So do the queens look like Dusk because the Dark Soul considers her its waifu, or what? It seems to be a trend now.
>>
>>255616063
:O
we r the next vendrick
cuz u can't stop the infinite circle of dark and lite
bravo from
>>
>>255608986
the gank squad boss is gay as fuck. I just got to them and this is the first time I've called bullshit with the whole series.
>>
>>255616131
Holy fucking shit, I had no idea. Thanks a ton.
>>
>>255615873
I meant the situation between her and the King was clear right after you meet her. Before going to Drangleic Castle you don't even know she exists, but you don't need to because your main objective is to meet the King.
>>
File: the legend2.png (1 MB, 1024x574) Image search: [Google]
the legend2.png
1 MB, 1024x574
the best boss fight was the secret one
>>
>>255616204
So just press on to the next bonfire and warp back to check what you missed later. Don't be a baby.
>>
>>255609246
That's little more than generic HOO HOO HEE HEE choral/orchestral shit.
>>
>>255616361
I just wish they hadn't cut all her dialogue out.

>Brave Undead, your arrival here foreshadows your fate.
>A true monarch is much more than a ruler of men.

>Brave Undead, you've met that dragon? That living, breathing sham.
>>
>>255616286
kill the bow chick first, then take care of the other 2
eazy

just run around and always try to get 1 or 2 hits on the bow chick
>>
>>255616459
XD IS DIS REAL?
>>
>>255616751
estus chugging gank squading faggots. It's like I'm really back in the hunter's covenant.
>>
>>255616286
They were really fun to fight with a great shield and a spear. It stood out as one of the best fights in the series for me.
>>
File: tarkus joined the circus.png (240 KB, 262x490) Image search: [Google]
tarkus joined the circus.png
240 KB, 262x490
>The only known NPC invader to use gestures. He will use the "This One's Me!" gesture upon invading, and the "Mock" gesture upon killing the player or summoned phantoms. He will also use the "No Way" gesture if he happens to interrupt someone attempting to heal with Estus.

Jesus Christ how horrifying
>>
>>255616206
Im assuming when you killed manus he needed a medium to reconfigure himself and Dusk was literally right there so he came back in her image.
>>
>>255616206
manus's pieces are taking the form of the original manus before his humanity went wild
the furtive pygmy was a woman
>>
File: sunken king.png (2 MB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
sunken king.png
2 MB, 1600x900
>find this strange tree in a hidden cave
>there's a notched whip right next to it
>if you whip it, it will restore your weapon's durability
>if you throw a fire arrow at it (fire infused/buffed weapons don't count) it will catch fire and die
>it drops "seed of the sunken king Jeremiah" (looks like a soul, but it's called a seed. weird)
>>
>>255618257
[citation needed]
>>
>>255618257
Where is that shit bruv?
>>
>>255618581
it's kinda hidden in the first area of the DLC, where you have to hit the white pillars to rise or lower the platforms
go to the edge of the cliff and somewhere you should see a bunch of statues (similar to the ones in the gutter/black gulch/everywhere in the DLC) and there's a white pillar right behind them
it's hard to hit, but it will rise a platform that will let you enter the cave
>>
>>255618257
is that like that giant insect in the gutter that is absolutely pointless but just looks cool?
>>
>>255618257
stop trying to spread misinformation you faggot, he doesn't drop a soul/seed
>>
>>255618257
It doesn't drop that, though.
>>
>>255618957
Thanks man. Will try
>>
>>255614695
you dont talk about the gutter in DaS?
>>
>>255619104
>>255619057
it does if you kill it with a fire arrow
if you use anything else it drops a dried root
>>
This game was so disappointing. Nothing new and just a bunch of big human shaped people with big weapons. And then fucking season pass bullshit made me want to vomit.
>>
>>255619772
show us proof
>>
File: 6CC0934.jpg (38 KB, 338x450) Image search: [Google]
6CC0934.jpg
38 KB, 338x450
>>255616459

I'm gonna get shit for saying this, but as unfunny as that little "joke" has become, it would be really fucking hype to have this for real. Especially if the AI is designed to be really stupid and overpowered just to fuck with you.

Sorry.
>>
>>255616459
Fucked up with the name.
It would be just
>Legend, Father of Giants
if it were real.
>>
>>255616751
Yeah I tried that strategy. I also picked up on havel being slowed by water so you can get the medium guy alone. It's still not very fun. I feel like I wasted my money because of this fight alone.
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.