[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm re-playing Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 151
Thread images: 23
So I'm re-playing Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, and something just occured to me: Why do the Innsmouth folk NOT enter the Church of Jesus Christ?

For those that haven't played the game, but are familiar with Lovecraft Lore, basically:
>Getting chased by fishmen
>Gilled, heavily evidence pointing toward the existence of their God fishmen
>At the climax, you enter a Catholic church
>They stop chasing you, or at least bang on the door, but are clearly not wanting to go inside.

Is there a Lovecraftian reason for why this is? I mean the Innsmouth folk had evidence of their own God's existence, when there was none of the Christian God, so why did did they fear the church?
>>
I tried twice to play this game but damn it's boring.
>>
If I knew some magical being actually existed, I'd be more likely to believe in other magical beings.

So if I actually saw some asshole make infinite bread in front of me, I'd believe in the existence of Santa Claus more.
>>
>>253974384
I hear this a lot, but I loved every second of the game. Fuck, most people think the game goes downhill after you get weapons, but I disagree. Despite the fact, you can't pick up weapons/ammo from enemies, I loved the shooting mechanics and story going forward..

Dat Shaggoth chase
>>
then how the priest was hanged and mutilated? ehh???
>>
>>253974812
he went out to buy groceries
>>
Is there a Cthulhu anywhere in this game? Because I'm playing it right now and it seems to be reffering to Shadow over Innsmouth
>>
>>253974939
but hes hanged insideeeeeeeee
>>
File: 1298695293927.jpg (532 KB, 2048x1382) Image search: [Google]
1298695293927.jpg
532 KB, 2048x1382
>>253974178
>Is there a Lovecraftian reason for why this is

Nah, there is no force of good in the Mythos, just varying degrees of things that want to torture you, make you go insane and eat you.
>>
>>253975071
Except one time Nodens was a bro.
>>
>>253974178

Because although the Christian god may not exist as we know it in that universe, the being that was understood to be the Christian Devil does and he is fucking Bad News.
>>
>>253974178
buggy piece of shit. That island turret shit was unforgivable.
>>
>>253974178
>Is there a Lovecraftian reason for why this is?
Church was protected by the Elder Sign
>>
>>253974971
no, its just innsmouth, dagon, the fish people, i dont remember the end and those shitinsane dimentional assholes.
>>
>>253975056
god.

god went out to buy groceries, so the cultists were able to enter.
>>
>>253975201

This.
>>
>>253975098
Elaborate please.
Also, anyone remember that being in Lovecraft Lore that takes on the form of humans but in reality is some big fleshy mass of pure evil? It's hinted that he was likely the betrayor of Jesus, some evil egyption pharo, exc...

Sorry, I can't spell right. to lazy.
>>
I will literally sacrifice my first born to Cthulhu if someone fucking makes a Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath game. It would just be so fucking perfect for a setting.

>taking a cat waterslide back to earth from the moon

My god I love Lovecraft.
>>
>>253975495
Nyarlathotep?
>>
>>253975495

Nyarlathotep.

Dude's a cunt.
>>
>>253974971
Na, really just named that for the Cthulhu Mythos culture bit. "Shadow over Innsmouth mixed with other Lovecraft tales" doesn't seem to mix right for a title.

Also it has
>Dagon
>Fish people
>Hydra
>Elder things
>Shaggoths

Love it.
>>
>>253975495
Sounds like you mean the Gnarly Nyarly.
>>
>>253975558
>>253975634
Yeah that dude. Reminds me, theres a director out there that just came out with a movie, and depending on if it goes well, he will get the possible funds to make At the Mountains of Madness.

I can't recall his name, but he's a decent director with a solid portfolio, I hope it happens.
>>
>>253974178
Because they know of their own god, and what he does but if even the most basic knowlage of the abrahmic god shows he murders the fuck out of everything

Basically they would be thinking "not going in there, that god might fucking rape us all to death"
>>
I just remembered I never finished this. I stopped playing after the first escape because the whole 'you work for the ebil gubmint now' shit annoyed me and killed my interest.
>>
>>253975809

It's Guillermo Del Toro that wants to do it. He did Hellboy 1 & 2 and is currently working on The Strain, a series based of a novel series he co-wrote.

The MoM movie has been in pre-production hell for years but yeah just recently it seems like it's back on track.
>>
>>253975071
I like how the creator of the universe in the Mythos is Azathoth, a giant hideous thing that created the universe accidentally and then fell asleep before he could eat it. It's all powerful but also basically mindless and the universe only exists because it's gone to sleep.

Which is why in the Arkham Horror and Elder Sign games he's the only elder god that automatically ends the game if he wakes up because he immediately eats everything that has ever existed
>>
>>253975809
Is that the one about the Antarctic expedition that finds an abandoned ice city once inhabited by some ugly space squids, and the tekilili whatever subway noises? With blind penguins and a sunless sea?
On that note, Sunless Sea the game is unrelated.
>>
I can't get past the "sneak around the cop" part
>>
>>253975809
Del Taco?

That's probably not happening
>>
>>253975809
Guillermo del Toro was going to make an AtMoM movie but canceled it after a while of development (or whatever the equivalent for movies is) hell because he said it would have been too similar to Prometheus somehow. I have no idea how that would have happened.
>>
File: Nyarlathotep.jpg (85 KB, 400x550) Image search: [Google]
Nyarlathotep.jpg
85 KB, 400x550
>>253975768
>>253975634
>>253975558
I know likely that "It's Lovecraft I ain't gotta explain shit", but is it ever elaborated as to how pic related actually...functions? Like is he in the center of the earth as described in one story, or is he on some space rock acting as a puppeteer for a form on earth?

I just can't figure out how even if he morphed himself into a man, how could the fucking mass of flesh not be seen.
>>
>>253975809
Guillermo Del Toro has been wanting to do that movie for years, on his own terms.
>>
>>253976073
I thought it was that the universe was just a dream of azathoth's and his waking would just end the dream.

Also spellcheck wants me to change azathoth to footpath.
>>
>>253975852

Man, seriously. Can you imagine what cultists of the other gods think of the Abrahamic God?

"Yeah, like our god is literally a monster but at least he's not a fucking psychopath holy shit have you seen this?"
>>
>>253976131
Yeah It's Del Toro, it was very recent that he said he want's to do it again.
>>253976082
Also, have you played Sunless Sea? I was thinking of picking it up, but I can't tell if the early access nonsense is worth it. I've watched a few video play throughs and it seems quite complete for what it is.

Combat is a turn off though.
>>
File: Hellboy - The First 20 Years-079.jpg (862 KB, 1680x2521) Image search: [Google]
Hellboy - The First 20 Years-079.jpg
862 KB, 1680x2521
Just read Hellboy/B.P.R.D. the Del Toro movie is not happening
>>
>>253976224

Yeah it's this, we're all literally just his dream and there's a piper creature that plays a tune in the chaos space forever to make sure he stays asleep because when he wakes up everything stops.
>>
YA'LL NIGGAS READ THAT "THE HORROR THAT CAME TO GOTHAM" BATMAN SERIES?

THAT SHIT WAS LOVECRAFT TO THE CORE.

Highly reccomended, I'd dump it if I had it. It's incredibly well done, and it ends with a great Lovecraft ending. It's basically steampunk Batman, but with Lovecraft monsters and science.

Ivy isn't even a women, she's like a parasite.
>>
>>253976139
He could just be really, really dense. Or magic. Or it's a quirk of being in a higher dimension of ours so the mass we see is only a fraction of that which actually exists and can appear to be in different places when it's actually all part of the same organism

Also those guys rocking out on the double flutes are the best
>>
>>253976139
I haven't read through Lovecraft's stuff in years, but I don't think it is expanded upon too heavily. I remember it manifesting as different human avatars, but I can't remember anything else. A lot of times the gods created by Lovecraft had pretty vague details until other people wrote about them years later.
>>
File: assorted_fruits[1].jpg (225 KB, 760x596) Image search: [Google]
assorted_fruits[1].jpg
225 KB, 760x596
>>253976430
Well a few people are saying that Del Toro just said it's in production again.

>>253976237
I haven't read much Lovecraft recently but does Dagon really ever do anything? Most of Lovecraft's gods just seem kind of complacent and all the fear comes from stuff they MIGHT do. Even Cthulhu in his story didn't do much besides scare a bunch of people to death.
>>
>>253976306
I haven't actually played Sunless Sea, but a friend did and the stuff I fed him about At the Mountains of Madness apparently had nothing to do with it.
It's a shame. I would totally play Lovecraft games, but I guess trying to manifest a horror from his writing into a finite game object would really weaken its impact.
>>
>>253976430
>>253976169
>>253976131

It was put in indefinite hiatus last year sometime but like a month ago he's gone back to it and it's being looked at again.
>>
>>253975495
>Elaborate please.

The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath.

I don't remember the specifics, but Nodens helps out Carter a little bit. Not because he cares about Carter at all, but because he wanted to piss of Nyarlathotep.
>>
>>253976813
I thought the game in the OP did it really well. It could just use more polish really. Shame the company went out of business.
>>
>>253974447

That makes me scared for when aliens invade us. The religious fags's numbers are going to blossom even more
>>
File: Shadow of the Comet.jpg (372 KB, 931x950) Image search: [Google]
Shadow of the Comet.jpg
372 KB, 931x950
You niggas should all read The Dunwich Horror.
Where Lovecraft's body horror parody of the holy trinity gets defeated by arcane knowledge and SCIENCE

Pic related is best Lovecraft game despite its archaic/clumsy gameplay mechanics. The Lovecraft museum bonus is a treat, should get an AGS remake/expansion.
>>
>>253976742
As much as I like Lovecraft, some of his climaxes were pretty shitty.

>confronted with aeon old monstrosity from the deep that drives people to insanity
>ram it with a fuckin' boat
>>
>>253976742

Not that I've ever read. Mostly it's just sort of the existential threat that looms.
>>
>>253976813
Yeah, it's not based on Lovecrafts work, but it is without a doubt Lovecraftian. The playthroughs show numerous horrors, terrifying cruel Gods, shadowy figures, dreamscapes.

The game appears to rely heavily off of it's writing, which is does very well. It's like that Expedition: Conquistidor game, but with Lovecraft and sailing.
>>
>>253976742
>Well a few people are saying that Del Toro just said it's in production again.

I read an interview of his where he said he's hopeful that it will be happening soon, with production company he made Pacific Rim with.
>>
>>253977001
Aliens wouldn't be magic, they'd be scientifically advanced.
>>
>>253977027
Boats are immune to insanity causing effects, so of course it would prevail
>>
>>253976742
A lot of the gods are pretty placid and they are just so horrific most people go insane.

Most of the cultists are just guys who remained somewhat intact mentally and asked to learn magic. To which some of the gods shrugged and said 'sure'.

Then again it's likely more due to the fact mundane shit going on on earth is beneath them in terms of giving a shit while they play at a cosmic scale.
>>
Okay guys, guys lemme pitch something to you okay?

A mobile game based on The Music of Erich Zann.

You hold up your phone and sit by a window strumming the shit out of it all night and if you don't cosic horror bursts into your room and fucks you dead.
>>
>>253977201
Here's the part where I reply with that one godawful quote about incredibly advanced science being indistinguishable from magic
>>
>>253976139
maybe its just compressing itself like in [prototype] into a really dense hard organic thing. so its like rock-heavy bone just under the skin, but then it can swell up again into a huge squishy mass of flesh
or if were going more wierd with it, maybe its just shifting all that extra mass into another dimension, leaving behind a man shaped limb in this dimension
>>
>>253976921
>As a hunter, he will chase down evil creatures in the Dreamlands, such as the Shantaks. He prefers to hunt the servants of the Great Old Ones or Nyarlathotep because they are usually the most intelligent and offer the best sport, but not necessarily because he wants to help humans being attacked by them. He has, however, been known to deliberately help humans, such as when he offers advice to assist Randolph Carter against Nyarlathotep in The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath: "Out of the void S'ngac the violet gas had pointed the way, and archaic Nodens was bellowing his guidance from unhinted deeps," later followed by "And hoary Nodens raised a howl of triumph when Nyarlathotep, close on his quarry, stopped baffled by a glare that seared his formless hunting-horrors to grey dust."

Dis nigga is an OG.
>>
>>253977223
>Humanity is devoured by cthulhu
>Boats inherent the earth
>>
>>253977027
In all of the Cthulhu mythos, this pissed me off the most.
>Cthulhu made out to be a terrible being that would bring the destruction of earth
>Stars allign
>Cthulhu is ready to roll, does his morning stretches
>Boat rams him in head
>Back to sleep forever

Seriously nigger? All that tells me is that technology in the 1910's was good enough to take out Cthulhu if him and his fishmen decided to actually attack humanity.
>>
>>253977380
Yeah, he's pretty beast. If I absolutely had to deal with a Lovecraftian god, he'd be the one I'd prefer it be.
>>
>>253977371

thanks
>>
>>253977581
[Insert Goldblum laugh]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS9D6w1GzGY
>>
>>253977583
Humans are crippled after a few months of being in a coma.

Imagine what it's done to something that slept for millennia.

He needs some time.
>>
File: 1303577674101.jpg (54 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1303577674101.jpg
54 KB, 400x400
>>253976073
>playing Mansion of Madness
>player occidentally opens a refrigerator
>it's a portal to another dimension
>nameless horrors emerge from the refrigerator
>everyone dies
>>
>>253977583
>be eldritch horror
>literally just wake up
>nom on some fuckers
>two niggas get on a boat
>lolok.jpg
>not even completely out of the door
>get's cracked in the dome with a steam boat
>island goes back down under the waves
>time to wait another billion years
>fucking apes
>>
>>253977378

This reminds me of a fan theory a friend and I came up with for the Wizards in LotR.

Like how most shit in Lovecraft is described in the kind of "flatlander" terminology. We only see the 3D slice of that creature that corresponds to and exists in the dimensions we inhabit.

So since the Wizards in LotR are Maiar they exist in other dimenions as well.

So when Christopher Lee and Ian McKellan are having their wizard fight and it's all invisible "magic" going on what we imagine is they're essentially just straight up punching the shit out of eachother with their extra-dimensional selves. Just fucking beating the hell out of eachother with 6th dimensional brain fists.
>>
>>253977801
>>253976073
>that feel when there will never be a Arkham Horror online room based game.

I wouldn't even care if it was turn based or like a board game. I'm just tired of not having a dice and paper crew to Cthulhu game with.
>>
>>253977027
>>253977583
I always got the impression that whatever the boat rammed was incorporeal and a minor representation of what would one day rise.
In a later mythos story written after Lovecraft's death, even nuking it does little harm, it just ensures it comes back radioactive.
>>
>>253977747
Don't try to justify Cthulhu being a pussy

>>253978146
I like this theory, I'm sticking with it.
>>
>>253977027
that sounds pretty fuckin /b/ to me
>>
File: 1355442173115.gif (83 KB, 235x300) Image search: [Google]
1355442173115.gif
83 KB, 235x300
>>253975495
Based Hittler
>>
File: 2013-10-31_00042.jpg (225 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2013-10-31_00042.jpg
225 KB, 1920x1080
Damn it. Just when there's a Call of Cthulhu thread on /v/ I miss it.

I didn't expect this fight to be as cool as it was.
>>
The game did one thing right, the protagonists insane voice work.

The insane mechanic was great, and the voice actor was superb when he had to say insane shit like he was losing his mind. Like when he's in the sewers for the first time.

>Th-theres...something down here.
>I JUST LET HER DIE (screaming in his head)
>Why did I even come here....

Then that part when he see's Dagon for the first time:
>Oh God Oh God please no...

See here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrJuAQbKyg0

Around :50
>>
>>253974178
I see this games on sale on Steam is it worth the $7.49?
>>
>>253976813
Eternal Darkness did a pretty decent job, but being originally a N64 game revamped for the first year of the gamecube really impacted the atmosphere
>>
>>253979736
OP here, I'll always say yes. It's a great intro to Cthulhu Mythos if you're not familiar.

If you do buy it, get the unofficial patch and turn on ALWAYS GET THE TRUE ENDING.
>>
>>253979736

Hell no. It's with maybe $3.
>>
>>253979736
guess not since the devs r ded
>>
>>253979736
Yes
>>
>>253974178
I love this game. Shame company behind it went under.
>>
>>253979736
Devs are dead, no need to give your money to a scum sucking publisher.
>>
File: Great_Race_of_Yith_by_pahapasi.jpg (101 KB, 640x800) Image search: [Google]
Great_Race_of_Yith_by_pahapasi.jpg
101 KB, 640x800
>>253975664
It also has these guys in it.
>>
>>253975664
I don't remember Elder Things being in the game

You must be thinking of the Great Race
>>
>>253976430
Now that I think about it, how good is Hellboy right now, I left it after that giant dragon killed him or some shit
>>
>>253979837
>unofficial patch

Does it stop you from crashing before getting to the hidden part of the house in the beginning?
>>
>>253974178
Is this game good? I was thinking of playing it on PC
>>
>>253979736
No. Don't reward Bethesda for the shit they pulled with its developer. Hell, there wouldn't even be a PC port if they'd have had their way. One of the rare occurrences where it's more ethical to pirate it.
>>
>>253978834
Flying Polyps don't look like that at all...

I wish there was an accurate lovecraft game
>>
>There will never be a Delta Green game
>>
>>253980727
Is that a movie about a lovecraftnian horror? Is it good?
>>
>>253980727
what's delta green?
>>
File: 1404705750298.png (2 MB, 2852x2720) Image search: [Google]
1404705750298.png
2 MB, 2852x2720
>>253979736
DCOTE is one of my favorite games of all time. It is hands down one of the most ambitious survival horror titles.

That being said, it is also a game I would never recommend anyone buy. The devs are gone so only Bethesda can benefit from its sales, and the game is a buggy broken mess on modern machines. Not joking, literally game-breaking bugs that make it pretty much impossible to finish the game.
>>
File: delta-green_650443.png (408 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
delta-green_650443.png
408 KB, 1680x1050
>>253980932
>>253980949
Delta green is a dice and paper RPG based around the idea of a Black Op's Unit that fights Lovecraftian horrors.

Pic related explains better.
>>
I've never read Lovecraft before. Where do I start?
>>
File: Delta_Green_BRP_Book.jpg (233 KB, 806x1050) Image search: [Google]
Delta_Green_BRP_Book.jpg
233 KB, 806x1050
>>253980932
>>253980949
It's sort of an expansion on the standard CoC tabletop RPG. Basically, people dealing with the threat of the Mythos in modern times.
>>
>>253981272
Anything. Its all good.

And its all public domain, so you can find it online.
>>
>>253981139
>>253981312
holy shit that's heavy
>>
Wasn't Lovecraft atheist?
>>
>>253977583
But the stars weren't right, they just discovered the island and disturbed his sleep.
>>
>>253981272
mountains of madness is good, dunwich horror is alright.

The scene that stuck with me most of all the lovecraft books though, I can't even remember which book it come from. Dude breaks into an old cult hideout and finds the ghouls they made still in their pits and mulls on how they are perpetually starving and trying to climb out.
>>
File: delta003.jpg (74 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
delta003.jpg
74 KB, 640x480
>>253980727
>tfw we almost got a Delta Green X-Com clone...
>>
File: 1398209593821.jpg (736 KB, 670x1141) Image search: [Google]
1398209593821.jpg
736 KB, 670x1141
>>253981436
That's a terrible suggestion

>>253981272
You could always start with Call of Cthulhu, that's a good one

But I'd recommend Whisperer in the Darkness, the Dunwich Horror, or Shadow Out of Time
>>
>>253981139
>>253981312
>tabletop
Aww shit, this bring backs memories of my childhood, my friends an I only played DnD and loved the fuck out of Wizardy
>>
>>253981725
No Shadow Over Innsmouth?

Or Re-Animator?
>>
>>253981850
>only dnd
You missed out friend, there were many settings and systems to enjoy. Mechwarrior, Earthdawn, Deadlands, Mutants and masterminds, WoD.
>>
>>253976678
Its deliberately ambiguous
>>
>>253982009
Fuck off, he should start with At the mountain of madness
>>
>>253980153
No.

>>253979837
>always get the true ending

How about instead, you actually play through on Cthulhu Mythos difficulty, and stop expecting it given to you? The only reason to ever use DCOTEPatch is to disable the blue light special, otherwise, it's just cheating.
>>
>>253981725
>Call of Cthulhu, that's a good one

It's one of his lesser works actually. Your other recommendations are fine though.
>>
Does anyone have art of Cthulhu where he's actually drawn as a weird many-angled, extradimensional horror? Instead of just green King Kong with wings and an octopus head?
>>
>>253981542
Yup, and a stern materialist. Also pretty racist, though he got milder with age and died an outspoken socialist.
>>
>>253982052
>only RPGs

You missed out friend, there's more to do in tabletop than nerd shit.
>>
>>253982208
Cthulhu Mythos difficulty is only unlocked after you play through the game on another difficulty, and even then, you have to get an A rank which requires the most autistic of things.

It's a great game, but you're only hurting yourself.
>>
File: cthulhu-drawing-by-hpl.jpg (85 KB, 405x500) Image search: [Google]
cthulhu-drawing-by-hpl.jpg
85 KB, 405x500
>>253982267
Here, have Lovecraft's own rendition.
>>
>>253982052
>>253982374

Do you think those can entertain an 8 year girl? I remembered how much fun I had with DnD with my friends, and I thought my lil sis might like it.

The thing is, I'm seriously concerned on the lack of imagination of the kids right now, that, and because her aunt bought her a fucking tablet, so she's used to lend her attention for no more than 5 minutes to a single thing
>>
File: 1400188199049.gif (743 KB, 389x495) Image search: [Google]
1400188199049.gif
743 KB, 389x495
>>253982215
What's wrong with Call of Cthulhu? It isn't scary or anything but it's short, sweet, and sufficiently weird
>>
>>253978246
>implying anything not written by Lovecraft is canon
>>
>>253982208
>How about instead, you actually play through on Cthulhu Mythos difficulty, and stop expecting it given to you?

Because the ending doesn't have anything to do with difficulty level. Only completion%, number of saves and time taken to complete the game matter.
>>
>>253982323
Well there ya go. The last thing his creations should care about is a church.

Thats a plothole, plain and simple.
>>
>>253982537
Depends, many of them base mechanics around the setting, the hero system would probably work alright since it's built around letting you make anything.

Then it's more about holding her attention through the mechanical portions and selling the game based on what she likes.

I have the same problem, all I've gotten her to play is minecraft and a bit of don't starve.
>>
>>253981027
>console gaming exploded because of the Xbox and Halo

This is what children believe. Console gaming was always the greater market (size, not quality), and this was no different back then. In the 1990s, PC gaming was there, but it didn't have the push that Nintendo and Sega had.

Halo didn't make gaming mainstream, but it did garner a lot of supporters from dudebros who only recognized video games as an acceptable medium because their lack of imagination and lack of soft skills was no longer a barrier. Put a disc in the Xbox and play.
>>
>>253981850
>tfw never had friends to play tabletop games with
>tfw still don't
>>
>>253981576
The Case of Charles Dexter Ward.
>>
A cosmic multidimensional alien horror dreams of a miniscule spec of dust on which apes reside and sit on chairs while staring at a lightbulb, sending insults to one another using a vast network of cables beneath the earth.
>>
>>253982860
>and selling the game based on what she likes.
Ponies seriously, I need to look what she might like the best, at least she loves to see me playing F-Zero GX and has developed a liking for Ghost Trick so far, but that's the best I've done.

I want her to play a tabletop game because those are great to give a kid ways to play with her imagination

>>253983301
You missed serious fun
>>
>>253983332
Life is pointless anyway, this is the objectively the best way to spend my time.
>>
>>253982707
It's just so thoroughly mediocre compared to his better work such as The Music of Erich Zann or The Shadow over Innsmouth. I just don't see why people recommend it as an entry point, other than because of its catchy title and the role playing tie in.
>>
>>253978508
>that sounds pretty fuckin /b/ to me
No, it would be /b/ if he killed Cthulhu with his lazor, or tricked Cthulhu into sending him pictures of his eldritch dick before reporting him to authorities
>>
There needs to be more games with freaky lovecraftian monsters. Particualrly with the mind fucking. Played Secret world recently and now I hunger for more. Maybe I should play Eternal Darkness again.
>>
>>253983634
>The Music of Erich Zann
My first Lovecraft story, shit was scary. It took me some time to realize that in death Erich was still playing.
>>
Just a reminder that much like his contemporaries Lovecraft was an unabashed racist. A lot of his stories deal with the degenerative effects of race mixing. The fish-folk in shadow over innsmouth were whites who mixed with niggers. In the Arthur Jermyn story he writes about a family whose ancestor was albino ape from Africa and gradually the family became more nigger like. The story Rats in The Walls has a cat that is literally called Nigger Man
>>
We'll never get a true Lovecraft game. The only chance of it went out the window when Del Toro's Insane got put in development hell.
>>
>>253983896
Sounds good to me
>>
>>253983896
And?
>>
>>253984035
Del Toro is kind of hot shit these days. Its possible.
>>
>>253983896
Yeah, that's common knowledge, but he didn't know any better
>>
>>253983896
What a hero.
>>
File: 1386042309038.gif (228 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
1386042309038.gif
228 KB, 500x250
Am I the only one who figured out that you could lean through slide-locked doors and unlock them?

Shit just let you through areas you weren't supposed to get through yet.
>>
>>253983896
He lived in purer times.
>>
File: call ofcthulhu hotel.jpg (76 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
call ofcthulhu hotel.jpg
76 KB, 1280x1024
So I played this years ago and got to the hotel chase scene and panicked so hard I never played it again
>>
>>253983896
Like when my grandparents are hilariously racist, I just don't care.
>>
>>253984297

He was scared to death that there might be some non-white blood in his family. He didn't know and that fear of the unknown became a common theme of his stories.
>>
>>253975071
andm most gods dont even do it because they want to fuck with you
they just do it because its what they do, everything they do is just too fucking alien for us
>>
>>253983896
Just a reminder you're a huge, 16 passenger douche-canoe.
>>
>>253982809

King in Yellow is fucking awesome, son.
>>
>>253982809

>Implying it isn't.

Lovecraft wouldn't have wanted only his own works to be taken as gospel. The whole point of the mythos was that he wasn't the only one contributing to it.

Derleth can go fuck himself though.
>>
>>253982809
I wasn't, just going on a tangent.

>>253982853
>Elder Sign
Nothing to do with Jebus. Hell, read The Haunter of the Dark or The Shadow over Innsmouth, cultist love churches, amongst other things.
>>
>>253983634
>>253983895

Without a fucking doubt one if his golden works.
>>
File: Average Lovecraft Thread.png (42 KB, 661x716) Image search: [Google]
Average Lovecraft Thread.png
42 KB, 661x716
>>253983896

Like clockwork.
Thread replies: 151
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.