[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best Buy is doing BOGO on these 3DS games starting the 20th,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4
File: BscKgYPCAAA3FD8.jpg (130 KB, 599x726) Image search: [Google]
BscKgYPCAAA3FD8.jpg
130 KB, 599x726
Best Buy is doing BOGO on these 3DS games starting the 20th, what two should I pick up?
(Already have Pokemon and ALBW)
>>
>$30 pro controllers

OH SHIT

>after $20 savings

Tell me I don't have to mail some shit in for a gift card
>>
>>253031948
That is worded weirdly, but I do not believe so.
>>
>>253031748
>Already have Pokemon and ALBW

Then Kirby and Bravely Default are probably the two next best choices for you.
>>
>>253032278
That's what I was thinking, I hear a lot about BD on here and I love Kirby.
>>
>>253031948
>>253032141
Nah, they don't make you do rebate shit. That's just how Best Buy words things in relation to the original price.
>>
Out of those, I'd choose Kirby and Bravely Default.
>>
>$30 Pro Controller
Guess it's time to buy them.
>>
Is New Island actually bad or is everyone just comparing it to the first? I thought the DS one was alright.
>>
>>253034907
As far as Yoshi's Island games go, it's a fine Yoshi's Island game. The problem is the music, which is very uninspired and often annoying. I don't find it annoying, though, just uninspired.
>>
>>253034907
>I thought the DS one was alright.
I didn't really care for the DS one. I've heard complaints about the mechanics of YNI. I'll still probably pick it up during this sale. Nothing can really compare to the first game.
>>
>>253034907

Yoshi Game Tier

God Tier:
Yoshi Island (SNES)

Comfy as FUCK Tier:
Wooly World

Fun but not Great Tier:
Yoshi Island (DS)

Boring with horrible music Tier:
Yoshi's New Island (3DS)

Casually play for 6 mins before quitting forever Tier:
Yoshi Touch and Go

You would have to pay someone to take this game Tier:
Yoshi Topsy Turvy
>>
>>253035650
other than the music
I mean
is the game hard to play, is the mechanics messed up
give me a better reason to not get it
>my only choices are mario golf and yoshi and I hate golf
>>
>>253031748
oh nice, i was gonna grab a pro controller with my paycheck, ima go ahead and pick up YI and Kirby.
>>
>>253039042
Ignoring the music, I'd say the game is not *as* good as the original, but it isn't bad.
It plays pretty much perfectly, though, the mechanics are just what you'd expect. I guess the one thing is this: Completing the game is too easy, but getting 100% is as challenging as you'd expect, especially on levels where they give you exactly 30 stars.
>>
>>253039471
Ok consider this
I have only played the snes yoshi island
>is it worth the free game if I get Kirby since I have the others
>>
They got any eShop cards on sale again? Was gonna buy Phoenix Wright soon.
>>
>>253039695
If it's for free, I'd get it, but having the other choices available, I would get other games before NYI, but that's just me since I'd go for an RPG before a platformer any day.
I'm surprised no one else is jumping in on this discussion, /v/ has a really low opinion on this game, like Sticker Star low and I'm being as fair as I can with it.
>>
If it only it applied to digital vouchers too...
>>
No dream team? That's the only thing I really want to play on 3ds. That blows.
>>
>>253040035
I just want to know
if you were like me and had all the games (except mickey) but mario golf and yoshis island
>would you rather get golf
>or island
>>
>>253040728
Island.
>>
>>253039042
Mechanics are fine, but with no innovation.

Controls are satisfactory. If you die, it's probably your fault.

Music is below subpar, and while some melodies may indeed be bearable if uninspired, the instrumentation is ear grating at best.

Graphics looked cute for a bit, but it's readily apparent how everything becomes muddied after a bit. You may have trouble telling moving objects from stationary ones without 3D on, just due to the art style. Also, backgrounds are practically static and extremely boring.

The level design is either reused from Yoshi Island SNES or even DS, or is it's own. If it's reused, the originals did it better. If it's original, it's fairly boring and every action you take is spelled out for you - you have virtually no choice when it comes to choosing how you want to go through the level.

It's not a horrible game by any real means. It's just that the original and even the original sequel are both significantly better to the point that, if you've played either of the prior games, you'll be disappointed by this one in every way.

This also isn't to say that games can't innovate and change. Smash 64 to Melee brought a ton of different changes, most of which people loved. Melee to Brawl brought a lot of mechanical and presentation changes that many people were unhappy with. It wasn't a mistake to make the changes in either case, that's how series evolve. Certain changes (coughtrippingcough) could have been made better or worse, but the actual act of the change was fine.

YNI does nothing but take away aspects of the original game and either replaces it with poor substitutes (music), doesn't even replace them, or uses things from the original game. It's just a dumbed down version of the originals, to the extent that it's unenjoyable if you've played them.
>>
>>253040619
me too
but the 3ds comes with dream team downloaded

>>253040858
alright thank you
I don't have nostalgia glasses on since I never played the other games so I'm sure it'll be better than golf
>>
>>253040728

Golf.

By far.

Holy fuck, not even a contest.
>>
>>253040728

Golf.

I'd choose Mickey before Island to be honest
>>
>>253041079
>>253041260
have you guys played yoshi yet?
I'm comparing these guys opinions >>253040959
>>253040858
because they have played it
>>
Kirby/Tomodachi Life master race.

Getting a cheap Pro Controller too.
>>
>>253041079
>>253041260
Golf is kinda boring.
>>
>>253040959

One more thing:

Difficulty level - it's very, very low. I'd actually say it's a very comfy game if not for the music and graphics ruining the comfy feeling.

Like I said: it's not a "bad" game. However, there are a lot of better choices, and it adds absolutely nothing in terms of innovation to the series. I'd definitely choose Golf over Island, but I do enjoy the RPG elements in the Mario Golf series. If you're completely adverse to Golf in every way, Island for free is worth it to grab, but I question whether it's worth the time to play.
>>
>>253031748
I really want Kirby. And my roommate just got Bravely Default so I'll play that when he's done. Nothing else looks good. Already have Pokemon and Zelda.
>>
Get Tomodachi Life you cunts.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=joKFfPEY2PY
www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbzUTRAUac4
>>
>>253041467
The basic just of YNI is that it is completely unoriginal and uninspired. People give Nintendo shit for always rehashing but the game is straight up a rehash. Everything is just a worse copy of other games in the series. Like someone just went down the checklist when making a yoshi game. Everything is okay except for the music which is utter shit. Don't expect it to wow you and if you don't love yoshis island or like the others then this will likely bore you. It's also pathetically easy
>>
>>253042321
I hate that they'd go to lengths to give us great customization, but tell us we can't use "naughty" words. Especially since you can get around it pretty easily.

Fuck, I wouldn't object to, say, being flagged as inappropriate and thus unable to be exchanged via streetpass, but no, they won't let us have our inappropriate fun.
>>
I tried playing Pokemon White like 3 times and each time I realized I couldn't stand the series any more

Every game I've played, you take fifty hours to get past the initial area, where you're bombarded with basically identical characters talking about how great Pokemon are, and all the Pokemon you can actually catch are really bad both aesthetically and in battle

Although the series has gameplay that can get interesting, that's basically impossible to take use of in the main game because of the level system and half the moves and abilities are over really silly access walls

Does X and Y solve any of these problems?

Also, is Bravely Default gameplay any interesting, or does it take the wrong route with JRPG gameplay and just make it an open grindfest?

Basically what I want is a JRPG that plays like a puzzle adventure game.
>>
>>253031748
>buy the controller
>get 10 dollar gift card
>return the controller
>buy the controller again
>get another gift card
>return the controller
>buy the controller again
>get another gift card
>infinite loop of cash
>>
>>253043908
I'm sorry sir, you bought that control as a special promotion, we cant accept any returns on it
>>
>>253043815
Fifty hours is just an exaggeration, anon. By that time, everyone should be building their teams for online battles.
The Pokemon selection in X/Y is probably its strongest aspect. It's huge and you can find decent or excellent Pokemon in most routes. Most players will have completed teams by the time they reach the second gym and will have trouble deciding if they should replace them when they find new and better Pokemon. In the end, the single player adventure of X/Y is quite weak, though, the game's main attraction is the online multiplayer, so if you're not gonna get into that, just wait for OR/AS which are building up to be excellent.
As for Bravely Default, it does have good gameplay but it also encourages grinding, since you can just try out a plethora of new jobs, learning their skills and customizing your characters. You can set battles to x2 speed and auto, so grinding takes very little time, though, and you don't need to if you have prior knowledge to how you want to build your group. Bravely Default is NOT a puzzle adventure game. You'd be better off with Dream Team.
>>
Cool, I was looking for something to blow my money on. Tossup between Y, Kirby, and Zelda, and I'll be getting a Pro Controller. Hopefully this isn't just a local deal OP.
>>
>>253043908
>surely bestbuy has not thought of this
>i'll show them
>>
>>253043815

>Also, is Bravely Default gameplay any interesting, or does it take the wrong route with JRPG gameplay and just make it an open grindfest?

Did you like FFIII-V? Then you will like BD.
>>
>>253043815
>Also, is Bravely Default gameplay any interesting, or does it take the wrong route with JRPG gameplay and just make it an open grindfest?
you ever play 4 heroes? you can go emulate it

anyways its mostly well-paced so that you don't need to do much more than fight what you please, and the class structure is handled such that you can switch freely, with impunity. Which kills a lot of the grinding associated with jrpgs due to it being a complete mess to try to change party-strategy when dealing with new shit
it's still not 'deeply complex' and not terribly difficult, but its better than most jrpgs. The world design and overall aesthetic is innocent and great; ghibli-FF3 magical adventure
>>
>>253044506
Like why would I play Multiplayer on cart and take a lot of effort and time getting the Pokemon I want in a metagame that is always evolving when I can just use Pokemon Showdown instead?

Basically, my thoughts on turn-based is that if you're not doing something that basically requires it to work (say, a game with all sorts of totally unique attacks where every turn is decisive to win, and where two individual battles, even in-game, never play the same), then why not make it real-time?

"nuking the enemy then healing" isn't at all the type of gameplay I want.
>>
>>253044983
zelda & y don't be a faggot
>>
>>253046005
That's fine, then, just keep using Showdown, you're not missing out on a great entry or anything like that.
As for Bravely Default, it is pretty much nuke and heal, but you can do it in a lot of different ways or you can take a more strategic approach to battles. You can make battles different by having different job combinations, basically. It can get really brutal in hard mode, since it buffs enemy's stats, including HP, and you can play that from the start, too. It might be worth checking out. It starts a tad slow, since you don't have many options available to you.
>>
I kind of want to get the 3DS XL.
Should I get the special edition one?

Anyone have any idea what it would cost at GameStop if I traded a regular 3DS in on credit for the XL?
>>
>>253047148
$1
because GS is shit
>>
File: 1401064592950.png (190 KB, 578x340) Image search: [Google]
1401064592950.png
190 KB, 578x340
>mfw best buy is 10 minutes away
>mfw needed a pro controller for my white Wii U
>mfw never bought Braverly Default or Kirby yet
>>
>>253046548
>It can get really brutal in hard mode, since it buffs enemy's stats, including HP, and you can play that from the start, too.
Is that an interesting kind of brtual or a 9999 hp kind of brutal or even just an achievement get! kind of brutal

>>253047148
$75 if you were giving them a 3DS XL
http://www.gamestop.com/trade-values

so basically, craigslist it if you actually want to switch. I would go for it, given that it comes with M&L, the analog stick would be latched on like an ugly sack of shit and the pricing is about what gamestop sells 3ds XL used for
>>
>>253047573
That's a given, but usually if you trade store credit it's not so terrible.
>>
File: TOPKEK.jpg (134 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
TOPKEK.jpg
134 KB, 500x500
>>253047891
It's a "bosses can OHKO you in a turn" kind of brutal.
>9999 hp kind of brutal
Oh, it's much more than that.
>>
So is this confirmed in Canada too?
>>
>>253047891
I just beat barbarossa and I'm level 50 something
So I suggest level grinding like crazy fun
>>
>>253048239
ok well the main thing is
is it frustrating
like am I just going to be annoyed putting up with this shit
fighting against rng and bullshit

or more along the lines of
you get fucked unless you play it perfectly
>>
>>253048751
This is a hard one. I want to say "you get fucked unless you play it perfectly", though.
>>
>>253046536

Why not Kirby? Haven't played a Kirby game in ages.
>>
>>253048751
Hell no
it is fucking sweet ass fun

hard mode is a bar that can be turned up and down from 100% to -100%
this means that in 100% monsters come like every step you take
whereas -100% monsters are turned off so you can explore buildings etc.

this game is really easy if you play on hard mode and level grind but fucking hard up the ass if you don't

I suggest if you are under leveled, dont use brave, because if you can't kill your opponent then they attack like 4 times in a row
all in all
1 of the best 3ds games. 10/10
>>
>>253048751
>you get fucked unless you play it perfectly

At one point I want to make a turn-based RPG with a "Legendary" difficulty or something where there is literally only one possible course of actions, over the entire 70+ hour game, that ends in you winning

People'd find the clues in how to get there through in-game hints, developer hints, and deduction; it'd be a bit like an ARG

and finishing it would unlock more information about the story and clues towards a sequel
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.