[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /v/, I do not visit this board often but it seems to be the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
File: Cave_Story_gameplay.gif (64 KB, 540x362) Image search: [Google]
Cave_Story_gameplay.gif
64 KB, 540x362
Hi /v/,

I do not visit this board often but it seems to be the best place to ask. Which is a good platformer game comparable in quality to cave story (or even higher quality)?
>>
shovel knight

now get OUT
>>
>>251927874

Pretty much this

Fuck off now
>>
>>251927874
you're acting like /mu/
>>
Lyle in Cube Sector
>>
Shovel Knight
Volgarr the Viking
La-Mulana
Oniken
>>
Iji is pretty good if want a free game.
>>
>>251927712
shovel knight
shantae games are good but short
commander keen is pretty dated but fun
The 2d mario games mostly all have tight control
>>
File: 1330185549303.jpg (101 KB, 802x601) Image search: [Google]
1330185549303.jpg
101 KB, 802x601
>>251927874
>>251928103
please leave /v/ you huge faggots
>>
>>251927712
Comparable period, or comparable in quality? I can think of a few Jap platformers from around the same era that are roughly the same quality (La-Mulana); but not any actually LIKE it.
>>
La-Mulana
unless you are casual
>>
>>251927712
go to /vr/, they actually talk about games there

just lurk there for a bit, don't start a thread

Dynamite Headdy is great.
>>
La Mulana, Iji, Super Metroid, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Megaman 2.
>>
>>251928618
I don't know much about /v/ culture. Is cave story casual? I mean the hardest ending.
>>
>>251928626
>Liking Dynamite Headdy
mah nigga
>>
>>251928864
it's a buzzword
>>
>>251928864
It's piss easy compared to a La Mulana's regular playthrough. Let alone a Hell Run.
>>
>>251928864
Not at all.
>>
>>251928864
No, but it is a different type of difficult.
>>
File: 12431.jpg (28 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
12431.jpg
28 KB, 300x300
>>251928965
you too
>>
>>251928864
I wouldn't call cave Story casual. What I meant by that was La-Mulana is really fucking hard without a guide so if you are casual don't touch it.
>>
Platformers are shit. Play fighting games.
>>
>>251928402
>>251928618
>>251928853

>la-mulana
>needs a wiki to even figure out what to do
>calls people casual even though they fucking had to do the same shit

Yeah, nah. It's not enjoyable, it's not fun, it's boring shit.
>>
Shovel Knight. It's simply epic
>>
>>251929032
Ok, I've got really excited. Thanks. I will save this thread, thanks guys.
>>
>>251929338
Have fun
>>
La-Mulana
your exploring a temple and shit. Lot more puzzles and things. You are probably going to get stumped at some point on what to do. Don't hesitate to use a guide to keep on moving. That being said the game is way more fun if you are willing to search the temple for all the clues. platform combat holds up well and there is a variety of weapons and more upgrades than Cave Story. The game isn't linear, if you don't know what to do just explore.
>>
play La Mulana OP
also Shovel knight

>>251928103
>>251927874
fuck off you fucking niggers
>>
>>251929532
Is it impossible without a guide or it's full of clever but solvable puzzles? I wouldn't touch a guide if it's not necessary.

> non-linear
That's a plus.
>>
>>251928487
Iji's such a nice, well-rounded game.
I enjoyed it. That's one of the only games I can say I sincerely enjoyed. I played through it once, read each message I could, and at the end of the game, I enjoyed it. I know there's multiple endings, but I don't want to ruin the pureness of a game I can say I enjoyed by turning the game into a competition to get another ending when in the end it was just a game that I enjoyed.
I don't want to ruin that.
>>
>>251930049
you can do it without a guide but it will dirve you insane

some of the puzzle solutions are a little WTF
>>
Other than La-Mulana, what's a good platformer that rewards timing, skill, pre-planning and speed?
>>
>>251930253
all of the megaman zero games
>>
Cave Story and La Mulana are often compared, but I don't think they're that similar. La Mulana is hard mainly because of puzzles out the ass.

Cave Story has one major puzzle (getting the best ending), but most of the game's difficulty comes from the platforming itself. (If it's too easy then, try a 3HP run.)

If you want something that's like Cave but with a bit more puzzles, there's a fan-mod of it that's pretty good. Jenka's Nightmare.
>>
>>251929325
is thinking and solving simple puzzles too hard on your little brain? don't worry anon, there's plenty of games for your kind.
>>
>>251930253
1001 Spikes

Check it out.
>>
Huh, I've just found it searching for La-Mulana:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playism/la-mulana-2
>>
>>251930829
I was playing that with 3 other friends earlier today. It was fun.
>>
Mibibli's Quest

Most people don't want to play it because they think it's ugly (and it is). It's quite hard, but it's one of those games where it's always the player's fault for losing, I loved it.
>>
>>251932035
I looked at their website. The game IS ugly but the gameplay looks interesting.

>Features:
>- grammar errors
I laughed.

> one of those games where it's always the player's fault for losing
One of the most important aspects (for me at least).
>>
Thank you all guys, and have a good night.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.