[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Going to college for video game design NO. Let me la
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 60
File: Beta dam.jpg (161 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Beta dam.jpg
161 KB, 800x600
>Going to college for video game design

NO.

Let me lay this down for you guys, if you REALLY have to get into video james you go to college and do a SOFTWARE DEVLOPMENT COURSE.

Why?

Because,

Video game design course
>Teaches you how to make vidya
Thats it

Software devlopment
>Teaches you how to make apps
>Teaches you how to program
>Make websites
>Gives you experience as a software engineer

Software developer is best course.

Now that thats out of the way, CUT CONTENT FROM VIDYA!

>The dam in this picture was from shadow of the collous, it was not in the final game but by using glitches a youtuber was able to find this dam which stood twice as tall and wide as the games tallest boss in an out of bounds area. It is not known why it was cut from the game

Video (The guy acts like a real arrogant prick but still):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75R1g9zZfU0
>>
WHY THE FUCK WASNT I TOLD THIS EARLIER?!! IM IN MY 4TH YEAR OF VIDEO GAME DESIGN AHHHHHH
>>
I do software development too OP, it's pretty balla
>>
That fucked up shark dungeon from ocarina of time beta, looked kinda cool bit bloody tho
>>
>I want to do art for games!
>Hurr go to school for programming
>>
>>248897582
>want to be in vidya development
>take course for vidya development
>hand resume out to companies
>beat by people who have multiple development areas under their belt
>>
>>248896648
But anon, video game design DOESN'T teach you how to make vidya.

At least I knew it was bullshit when I was going in, just wanted to experience uni and got in through clearing.
>>
>>248897790

>Focusing all your academic time on programming when you want to work in an artistic field and not fostering your artistic talent

#1 way to screw your future as an artist, you'll never do art again in your life
>>
>>248897839
yes it does? what else would it teach? atleast with software development you have a lot of back ups
>>
So is software developer good /v/? I was thinking of doing it next year in college, pay good? many jobs avalible?
>>
I'm going to school for computer science with a specialization in software engineering and a minor in game programming because it fits in my schedule.

Did I do alright?
>>
>>248898021
It doesn't teach much, that's for sure
>>
File: 51fdc87eafa96f28fc000006.jpg (11 KB, 248x249) Image search: [Google]
51fdc87eafa96f28fc000006.jpg
11 KB, 248x249
>shadow of the collous
>>
>>248898307
in India
>>
Is it true all software developers and mechanical engineers are fat and ugly? I dont wanna be fat and ugly :(
>>
File: 1402774888198.jpg (151 KB, 342x759) Image search: [Google]
1402774888198.jpg
151 KB, 342x759
>have day job that actually pays
>make games in my spare time with tools that make it easy
>be master race
>>
>>248896648
i remember when there was a lot of exploration and discussion of this over at GameFAQs.
pikol didn't shut up about it for months, it was so annoying. Where's Receipt when you need him, eh?
>>
soft dev is essentially what you take if you cant math and therefore get a soft eng degree

they essentially are the same job but one youll get paid a lot more and be hired instantly out of college
>>
I'm getting a degree in Computer Information Systems.
did I fuck up?
>>
>>248899210
which one is the one where you get paid a lot more and get hired instantly?
>>
>>248896648
>Common sense general?
Common sense general.
>>
>>248899434
its not common for the people who take "game design" classes
>>
>>248899396
eng

any eng degree is literally the best thing you can go to college for, unless you have a famous last name
>>
>>248899210
Dev by a long shot, you got way more shit you can do
>>
>>248898794

This is the way to do it. Most successful level designers worked on mods in their spare time, and most successful game designers were QA guys for years because you have to learn the process of making games. Going to vidya game school for anything other than CG animation is a waste, and arguably that because that major basically just helps you build a portfolio and meet people. My animator friend is a senior in college and his modelling skills are still pretty poor. The only real thing it got out of it was an internship and eventually a job from the university connections.

College in general is a waste unless you're learning a technical skill. Many successful people including Bill Gates and Gabe Newell believe that college in the digital age is an extremely poor investment for the vast majority for Americans.
>>
>>248899794
>College in general is a waste

*tips fedora*
>>
File: 6RD3WMK.jpg (46 KB, 538x717) Image search: [Google]
6RD3WMK.jpg
46 KB, 538x717
>>248899794
Guy you're responding to. I agree, I went to college knowing full well its about the connections rather than the degree. I'm fortunate enough to have already met people who are relatively successful and willing to help me out, so I keep those lines fresh as I finish up this lolEnglish degree.
>>
What should I do, software engineerin/development or mechanical engineering? I know there is maths involved in both but is it a lot of maths?
>>
>>248899794
>Many successful people including Bill Gates and Gabe Newell believe that college in the digital age is an extremely poor investment for the vast majority for Americans.

And yet here we are expected to go to it no matter what by our parents, because it "makes you successful"
>>
>>248900292
>any engineering

i hope you like numbers
>>
>>248900405
but a lot of numbas? :(
>>
My uni splits it into two majors. You can either do a CS degree with the majority of your electives being about game design and whatnot, or you can do "interactive media and games" which is basically doing art, animation and UI design for games and other electronic things people use, but it's pretty low on coding.
>>
>>248898307
Realize that you're competing against the "autists" who have been programming since they were kids. Expect to end up in a soulless job maintaining blobs of Java that no one ever sees.
>>
>>248900137

I never said that. College is good for learning technical skills like medicine or engineering. Other than that, it's pretty much a toss up whether you flushed hundreds of thousands of dollars down the drain.
>>
>>248901170
Only a couple thousand if you do community college.
>>
>>248901170
But at the end of the day, somone will hire a guy who has a degree in software devlopment over some autist who tells him that he coded a furry vore rpg in unity
>>
>>248901531
Cover all bases and do both. Degrees these days are the new highschool diplomas.
>>
I wanted to be an architect/engineer who does level design on the side. It really sucks when the university you end up at doesn't offer anything remotely like that, and you end up spending years shoehorning yourself into a field you hate just to leave anyway.

>>248900348
>And yet here we are expected to go to it no matter what by our parents, because it "makes you successful"

It's a waste of time if you get bad advice like "all degrees are the same" "just get any degree". Art degrees are almost completely useless.

>>248901531

Frankly, I'd rather hire someone with experience in the field. A degree looks nice on paper, but getting hired is all about having a portfolio.
>>
>>248902706
>Frankly, I'd rather hire someone with experience in the field. A degree looks nice on paper, but getting hired is all about having a portfolio.
If only all employers thought like you
>>
Is railroad a good industry to try and get into?
I already spend half my time on the computer
I don't need to spend the rest on it coding.
>>
>/v/ - Career Counseling

It's lame how every fuck here thinks he has all the secret facts and insider info on the job outlook when 95% of you are unemployed permaneets.
>>
>>248903012
do you like being a little faggot? then yes its a great job to get into
>>
File: Tripfag enters the thread.gif (1 MB, 250x200) Image search: [Google]
Tripfag enters the thread.gif
1 MB, 250x200
>implying software dev courses teach you about grafix or anything
you're a funny guy. Vidya dev courses teach you what you would get with a software dev course, PLUS those things
>>
>any course
>near as useless as information and technology

seriously, I'd take underwater armenian square dancing as a major over this shit if I had the chance.
>>
>>248903356
>95% of you are unemployed permaneets.
I love how im the furtest thing possible from the /v/ trope

>6'4 tall
>slender and defined body
>actually done modeling before for DandG and have me in three of there mags and was on there website for awhile
>have a job as a mechanical engineer
it feels weird man
>>248903406
looks like someone done the mistake of taking a vidya course
>>
>>248901531
Well nope. Courses like media studies and video game design are retarded. They teach little and give nothing. I'm doing Business Process Management , and I know several people doing vidya at my uni, they know fuck all about actual game design, most of them focus on triple-AAAs as examples of great games and a few didn't even understand how CPU and GPU's factor into games.
>>
>>248901628
So what is no degree then
>>
>>248903795
Fucked; unless you get experience. Degrees and shit are what lead you experience in the workplace, after that it pretty much relies on your performance in employment.
>>
>>248903657

>there
>>
>>248904032
Yeah I agree. It's always been that way, at least over the last couple of dozen years.
>>
>>248896648
Thanks, dad.
>>
File: Or6pWkP.gif (1023 KB, 195x220) Image search: [Google]
Or6pWkP.gif
1023 KB, 195x220
>>248900292
ME here
there's a shit ton of calculus, and differential equations in classes
but I just finished my first co-op term, actual work is way better and more fun.
If you aren't sure if you should go ME, then don't.
>>
>subjecting one's self to the degree mill instead of pursuing interests and self improvement on your own
>ever

fucking wage slaves.
>>
>>248904162
Relax, he's an engineer.
>>
>>248904306
So its not just all maths and wizzle gobbles numerials?
>>
>>248903795
You can get a software development job with no degree, you just have to know how to program and have something to show (not necessarily a complete project, just show that you can hook up the components and have them function together)

Also being in the right place at the right time helps
>>
Fuck software engineering.
It teaches you absolutely NOTHING.
It's either inapplicable theory shit or hopelessly outdated and sparcely covers a ridiculously large field without teaching you anything solid. It's useless. If you want to get into vidya, programming, software, vidya art, whatever. Don't get an education, get a portfolio.
>>
>>248904550
>Also being in the right place at the right time helps

More than you might be selling it. That's not secure enough to ever really risk for most people. Probably why they'd feel more comfortable going into massive debt to improve those odds.
>>
>>248904308
get a load of this hypocrite.
>>
Work as IT guy for some nameless MMO and work your way up from there

Profession is applicable
>>
File: 1269081578568.jpg (11 KB, 248x252) Image search: [Google]
1269081578568.jpg
11 KB, 248x252
>>248904675
Pretty much this.
University is fucking useless if you want to learn how to into video games.

Go to uni for the fancy paper or whatever, but be prepared for absolutely nothing.
>>
>>248904436
Of course not. You won't go out to the shop floor and hand the machinist a bunch of equations. You eventually design shit.
If you do go ME, I highly suggest trying to get a co-op or internship. Work experience as an engineer before you graduate should not be taken for granted.
>>
>>248903657
>tfq 5' 11" and attractive
>electrical engineer
>have a wife
>still browse /v/
I don't know why I subject myself to this
>>
>>248905037
What about animation
>>
>>248904817

mad as fuck wage slave detected

still sucking the daily dick circuit so maybe they'll give you 10 more cents in five years?
>>
I am going into computer/software engineering

My friend is going to Digipen for game design and he says he has no intention of learning to code or model, but TO DESIGN
what a fucking retard I am probably going to not be friends with him the day he moves
>>
>>248899794
>Many successful people including Bill Gates and Gabe Newell believe that college in the digital age is an extremely poor investment for the vast majority for Americans.
These people were Harvard or Yale kids who already had 'success' written all over them, and not just because of the incredibly different face of the market in their time. It didn't matter if they failed, they could have easily fell back on their rich parents. Not to mention back then the market was more than happy to employ you in a wide range of fields, even if you had a Harvard BA in Dog Washing.

The idea that college in the digital age is an extremely poor investment is telling of their Jewish nature. If you're happy with the prospect of making millions by rolling the dice in the current state of the app market to in making the next big thing, more power to you. But if you actually want a job, where you apply for it via an interview, you're only kidding yourself in thinking you don't need a degree.

People with Master and Honours find it difficult to find jobs for fucks sake. Seriously, don't take the advice of billionaire Jews.
>>
>>248896648
What would be required of me if I want to get into Soft-dev?
Do I need math? I suck at math...that is the main thing im worried about
>>
>>248905165
If there's no course focusing on animation, and I mean ONLY on animation, at the uni you're going to attend, then you've gotta learn it in your spare time.
>>
>>248903406
If you want to know about "graphics" you do Computer Science, and then an specialization in Computer Graphics. You better like math.
>>
>>248899396

Mathematics.

But you need to do post-grad research.

But dat 300k startin'
>>
>>248905219
Unless you're living off the land like a nomad hunter, you're a slave like the rest of us. In fact, how do you even have internet access right now?
>>
>>248905368
>Do I need math
Not really, you can be a programmer that doesn't math higher than plus minus times divide remainder
>>
>>248896648
Graduating with comp sci degree next semester.

Hate it, currently sell pet food as job
>>
>>248905958

>plus minus times divide remainder

That's barely arithmetic, let only math.
>>
DO COMPUTER SCIENCE YOU RETARDED MOTHERFUCKERS I MAKE 100K STARTING.
>>
>>248906080
Are the pets at least happy?
>>
>>248905157

>male model
>ferrari
>massive home in SoCal, vacation every year at 5 star resorts in Ibiza, sometimes in Dubai or some other locale if the little lady is feeling bored
>CEO of a massive multinational company, own more than majority shares in a few big name vidya companies
>wife is a famous actress and physicist
>son is a Saudi Arabian prince
>dabble in missile and military tech design on slow days, recently prototyped a man operated mobile rail gun emplacement, lobbying for lucrative defense contracts on it
>funding over 70% of the moon colonization tech being developed myself
>living the dream
>sippin' in the breeze
>still come to /v/

Why god. Why did I stumble upon this silly little cyst on the back of the net's ass during that party at Bill's place.
>>
>>248906080
>Hate it
Why did you do it then?
>>
>>248896648
>Software devlopment

Teaches you how to BUILD vidya. The construction workers don't design the buildings.

Game design is still a shitty major, mostly because you've probably never heard of a single noted game designer who decided to teach it. There are zero experts in education positions. You shouldn't take it because it is a money grab, not because SW dev is a better vidya major.
>>
>>248905958
thank god, i want to become a programmer, but im seeing all this complex math stuff on /g/ all the time
>>
>>248905157
>5' 11"
We all have a reason anon. It's okay.
>>
>>248906183
I didn't start hating it until the end.

Mainly, I've always been intrigued by computers, and love playing video games, so I at least wanted to learn and know how it all worked.
>>
>>248906117
Highest paying fast food chain I've ever heard of.
>>
>>248906117

I'm hoping to get into the comp sci special field during my time in the national guard, hopefully launch from that into a nice career.
>>
>>248906080
why do you hate it?
this is kinda depressing because i´m studying the same.
>>
>>248906183
Also to add on to this >>248906293

Computers have always been magical to me, even after learning how you go from an electrical pulse to hex and pixels and all that other shit, I'm still in awe of the modern computer.

But learning, and doing are two different things.

I LOATHEE writing code
>>
>>248906359
>>248906383
COME CODE AT MICROSOFT WITH ME. IF YOU SUCK MY DICK I'LL REFER YOU FOR FREE.
>>
>>248906217
Nah mate, math obviously helps in the sense that it makes you practice logic thinking, which is of utmost important on programming. But it's not like you can't program if you don't know advanced calculus.

Unless, obviously, if you want to get into an area that actually uses wizardry levels of math.
>>
>like video games
>start making maps and basic mods
>start programming
>decide I want to try to make video games
>go to college to git gud at programming
>decide while I'm there that I like software development too
>literally like both of them equally, end up majoring in software development
>graduate
>1.5 months and can't get beyond stage 1 interviews

Am I fucked, or not patient enough?
>>
>>248906293

do your prospects look good at least?
>>
>>248906494
>But learning, and doing are two different things.
You haven't really learned something unless you can do it
>>
>>248905165
>>248905469
PRECISELY what this anon said, and I can confirm to you because I've experienced it.
I was moving in and out of courses for a year and a half after highschool because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, when I figured I'd just go fully with animation. I'm a pretty good writer as well so I thought I'll take animation and am bound to find work in the field somewhere. For electives I was taking units from the course I was initially going to go with fully, Commerce, but the people around you just love saying 'folllow your dreams anon!'.

The last two semesters I've been doing Animation and let me tell you, I have learnt fuck all. We worked with flash, with modelled some shit, did some mocap work and it was all the most dull and forgettable thing you could image. It was even funnier because I was learning more at home while watching youtube clips and reading articles than when I was in class. So I transferred to Commerce and haven't looked back.

The only reason I can recommend taking a course in animation at university is for the possible industry connections and the fact that you can intern. But before you do that, you need to make sure you love animating 110%. If you don't spent hours a day animating, if it isn't constantly on your mind, then don't take the course, because you'll sink in thousands and realize you don't like it.
>>
>>248906217
That wasn't a jackass answer either. I loved the shit out of graph theory, but I haven't had to use anything more complex than multiplication since graduation. Anything complicated will have an expert building the algorithm,but you can pull 90k just being the guy that calls his functions.
>>
>>248906540
>Am I fucked, or not patient enough?
W-well, just keep trying.
>>
>>248906512
>an area that actually uses wizardry levels of math.

which is all important programming areas.
>>
>>248906540
Contribute to open source projects. Whip up some projects of your own and try to get a userbase. Doesn't have to be anything fancy just prove that you know your shit. Going to university doesn't mean jack anymore.
>>
>>248906540
Getting into the industry is hard. Out of all the graduates from my class, only 3 including me were able to find a job that involved programming. But when you do get an interview, bring shit you've done on your spare time. My boss told me the gravity simulator I showed off during the interview was what got me the contract.
>>
Or just be like based Kojima/Suda/Levine/Kamiya and work mainly as a script writer and work your way up and make real works of art.

don't hurt me STEM /v/
>>
File: 1356488194526.jpg (10 KB, 245x265) Image search: [Google]
1356488194526.jpg
10 KB, 245x265
>Taking a computer science degree
>Whole first year is wasted pretty much fucking nothing
>Gotta drag my ass through this shitty degree just so I have some fancy paper, so I can MAYBE get myself a job
Fuck I don't have the motivation for this shit.

Anyone have the link to the cut colossi?
>>
>>248906474
see
>>248906293

But to be fair, I thrill seek, and things get boring and old pretty quickly.

And after working some internships, they left a sour taste in my mouth working under people.

I just can't work under people for a set pay, I fucking can't do it.

Even if you end up not liking it, it's a respectable field of study, it shows you tried hard in college and pursued something that took effort.

>>248906645
I run my own pet food business, and looking to expand past local sells, so hopefully.

But you never know, the degree is at least a solid fall back option if things get bad.

>>248906709
What I mean is that I can't see myself doing it as a career after the initial learning stage.
>>
>>248896648
Damn, not bad advice man.

Personally I'm glad that I took the Multimedia Design course rather than the Video Game Design course. I can now make adverts, cover art for cds or what the fuck ever, and I've already been commissioned by a couple local companies to make their official Logos.

If I'd taken Video Game design I'd have been shoehorned fucking hard into an industry I'm not sure I have the talent to compete in.
>>
>>248904675
Elaborate on portfolio please? Do I just start making random bullshit apps like for example some web scheduling app for some made up company, then upload it to my bitbucket?
>>
>>248906760
Maybe if you consider academia. Maybe.

For business and the average software development, it really isn't.
>>
>>248906986
And if a company really needs math outside of what the average employee can learn through google, they'll have a department for that
>>
>>248901170
>flushed hundreds of thousands of dollars down the drain.
Only if you are a fucking idiot or went to medical school. Your private liberal arts college isn't worth the sticker price, so unless you have a free ride, then go to community college and transfer into a state university. Where you got your degree is irrelevant for most fields after you have a couple years of experience.
>>
christ is IT or compsci worth it or not?

let's be real here.
>>
>>248906821
>>248906830
I am somewhat confident in my ability to make something, but not to come up with an idea of what to make.
>>
So in conclusion

Software development course = bad idea?
>>
>>248907161
>let's be real here
Yeah, ask /v/ for serious advice for your future, what could go wrong?
>>
>>248896648
HOW TO BECOME A GAME DEV:
>learn the basics of a language like C++ or Java (lel) by reading a book or two
>keep experimenting until you have something presentable
>release it for free
>repeat until you are skilled enough to make a game worthy of selling
>fin.
>>
>>248906974
>Do I just start making random bullshit apps like for example some web scheduling app for some made up company
Pretty much. Hobby projects, make believe industry applications. If you can give an example of completed projects the interviewer will be all over your dick. And if you can give an example of something you made which you maintain and is used by people, all the better.
>>
>>248907236
Yes.
Taking a math/physics course which has some programming in, or you can incorporate, it is a better bet.
>>
>>248907161
Look, I might be somewhat jaded, but let me put it to you this way.

If you spend 25%+ of your free time on your computer coding, or doing anything that has to do with it (modding probably also counts), then probably yes. If not, then probably not.

It is very hard to get into the field.
>>
>>248907307
ITP: It's 2004

Hotline Miami was made in fucking Game Maker and it's got a damn good following. And that's just one exampe.
>>
>>248907294

I just like having the honest opinions of dudes in my age interested in the fields.
>>
>>248906217
calculus isn't that important
but efficient algorithms are

computer science should really be called
"algorithm design"
>>
SAY STUFF LIKE
>MVC
>AGILE
>IBM RUP
>SCALEABLE
HR FUCKING LOVES BUZZ WORDS AND METHODOLOGIES
>>
File: 1399773171555.jpg (135 KB, 367x347) Image search: [Google]
1399773171555.jpg
135 KB, 367x347
>go to college to get a BS in biology so I could be a paleontologist
>I thought it would be like pokemon with little bits of physics, chemistry, and geology
>I ended up having to four years of math classes (mind you I started at calc I) , two years of comp sci classes,four years of chemistry classes, and a some 200 level biology classes
>eventually graduate with a piece of paper that says I'm ok to do stuff
>now have a fellowship at a grad school where I dig up fossils
>haven't used anything past gen chem and calc two in my thesis
>>
>>248907807
oh man hotline miami 2 is coming out... fuck im pumped
>>
>>248907475
>It is very hard to get into the field.

people say this about every field. It's really down to connects, how good your paper looks, and a bit of luck and patience.
>>
It doesn't matter what you major in; hell it doesn't even matter if you go to college. All you need to do to make a video game is to start doing it and don't stop. Let it take up all of your free time that you spend watching game grumps and pewdiepie on youtube.
>>
>>248908091
Videogames are cool like that. It's one of the only products/professions/artforms where literally anybody with access to a computer and enough patience can become incredible at. Don't need money, don't need connections, don't need thousands of dollars in equipment.
>>
>>248907294
CompSci a good program to go into. Get some experience and work on your own shit in your free time. Eventually, after you've done some real world stuff, you can start thinking about going into vidya.
>>
>>248907807
If you want to make a one-hit wonder, then you may as well put in as little effort as possible. If you want a JOB in game dev'ing, then you probably need a skill.
>>
>>248896648
> be college fag
> In CS
> have final group project for two classes
> requirements are a database, user interface and user input
> convince groups to make vidya
> make decent games
>A's on both
Feels good man
>>
>>248907194
What is your passion?

Don't just say "video games", thinks about something that you really enjoy. Start off just getting the basic functionality then think have fun with adding other things to your program.

The gravity simulator I made started off simple, then I added rapid fire, a player controlled ship, random generator, a tracker to see where the planet will go, etc. If you have fun with it, the tech guy at the interview will be able to see it.
>>
File: 1362380647953.jpg (160 KB, 420x750) Image search: [Google]
1362380647953.jpg
160 KB, 420x750
>be going to school for pre-law
>literally all I have to do is grab a bachelors with the highest GPA humanly possible
>get to take all kinds of fun classes
>>
>>248897980
Then get involved in 3D modeling or similar. Video game design is an instant resume trasher.
>>
>>248897980
A specialized designer artist course will still give teach you that better, on top of being valid for cinema/tv/marketing/website ui design.
>>
File: 1290139729638.png (491 KB, 640x532) Image search: [Google]
1290139729638.png
491 KB, 640x532
>>248908398
I did something similar.

>mfw when I did the user interface and database and my partner did path finding.
>Partner though I got the short-end of the stick.
>I was done in a few hours over the weekend while he struggled for a few days.
>>
>tfw only known skill is writing
>English majors are fucking worthless degrees
>want to write a scifi/fantasy universe based off of theological mythology
>scifi and fantasy are hard to publish and sell like shit, have to be lucky as fuck to hit it big

I don't even know if I should bother writing and instead just do some technical school stuff
>>
>>248908791
That's manager material.
>>
>>248908397
Most AAA titles are made using already established engines like Unreal, Unity, or Crytek.

Spelunky was made in Game maker, The Binding of Isaac was made in Flash.
>>
>>248897497
Explain? Source?
>>
>>248908945
>did work
>manager material
Nope.
>>
>>248901531
That's not really true.

Experience is going to trump a degree every single time, and if one guy has 10 years of experience and another guy has 10 years of experience AND a degree, the guy with a degree STILL isn't going to have an advantage. They're both going to get an interview and ultimately that will be the deciding factor.

Experience can be gotten easily and cheaply or freely in the video game development field, due to a multitude of tools available.

However, that is not a total argument against higher education, since it takes a lot of willpower and self direction to become a self made man, and the fact is that the majority of people aren't going to have that.
>>
>>248896648
>already know how to make websites
>know the basics of programation Q C
>doesnt know how to make levels or make 3d stuff

>collage i going to already won imagine cup some times. got second place on the other times and its on the finals again this year

im guess im in good hands. and since im giving my best at it . something im never did before, i guess im going to be some one someday
>>
>>248898021
Game design school teaches you how to be a videogame designer. A position that nobody will ever hire unless it's a known industry veteran / videogame star.

>how to make money in f2p
>how to design a game with tabletop rules comparisons
>how to balance difficulty
>generic talk about game mechanics
>they will tell you that copypasting existing things is the only way to make videogames, as new ideas will fail
>they will tell you to make iphone games or you will be a failure

Literally doesn't teach you anything.
>>
File: l-A-cute-lil-froggy.jpg (132 KB, 580x386) Image search: [Google]
l-A-cute-lil-froggy.jpg
132 KB, 580x386
Give me a short list of shit I should know or do or have before I enter software development at a college or uni

please
>>
For all you fucking NEETs out there, and people averse to extortionate costs of education: THERE IS ANOTHER WAY. THE WAY OF THE AUTODIDACT. Pic related? Much of what he knew he taught himself.

>What subject do you want to do?
Think on this long and hard. Consider: what makes you excited? What do you enjoy? What would grab your attention and keep you occupied?
>Go to TPB
And find torrents of e-books on that subject. Download as many as you can that you think are relevant.
>Check out Coursera
And see if there are any courses available on your chosen subject.
>Set a study schedule for yourself
And stick to it. You've got the materials, if you are NEET you have the time, you just need to read and absorb the knowledge at your fingertips.

Good luck and happy learning
>>
>>248908791
Lol yeah pathfinding is a bitch.We were supposed to have it our game but after a semester we have up and used preset paths for these spaceships that flew around.
>>
>>248908898
If you can't guarantee a profession writing, then do the next best thing. Find a profession that leaves you with the energy and time to write.
>>
>>248908898
Just do like George R.R. Martin and don't make anything notable until you're 60. Then you'll be a millionaire.
>>
>>248908898
Do what I'm doing and make a game out of it.

Hell our situations are so similar we could be partners.
>>
>>248907807
I really wish people would stop using gamemaker. Risk of Rain's online is complete garbage largely because of GM.
>>
>>248909126
>implying your average HR person even knows what autodidact means
it's all about demonstrable value and proficiency. if you can give a man slamming elevator pitch, you don't need to know a damn thing. most people can't self sell that hard, so degrees come into play.
>>
>>248908898
We need more people to save us from Bioware-tier writing in vidya
>>
>>248909342
Game Maker is fine for singleplayer games. I've never played Risk of Rain so I can't comment on that.
>>
File: dr. dre dancing.gif (2 MB, 290x595) Image search: [Google]
dr. dre dancing.gif
2 MB, 290x595
Got my degree in architecture and I've worked as a level designer.

So there's that route too.
>>
>>248909170

That's what I want to do

>>248909229

My dream is to write a interesting world for stories of all mediums to take place in. I'd be cool to bounce ideas off of someone likeminded.
>>
>>248909438
As someone who does hiring for software jobs, degrees are worthless. I stopped even looking for education on resumes some years ago.
>>
>>248903406
Speaking about funny things, companies hire mathematicians over designers for graphics, since teaching your new guy an engine is faster than teaching the other guy mathematics.

This has been happening for years too and is a known fact among the industry, I'm sorry you are wasting your time and money.
>>
>>248896648

I agree OP.

But not if you will do art. It's best to work on your portfolio, there is enough info to learn on the internet. Problem is the procrastination....like Im doing right now posting here instead of finishing my 3d model that is part of the portfolio I will send to many companies including ea, ubisoft, activision Hey cdpr is my first option but I'll take what I can get.
>>
>>248909438
Then once you feel comfortable on your subject, take a degree in it, if you absolutely must. If you've done the learning for yourself correctly, it will be easy.
>>
>>248909662
Well yeah, you're in a field where you can demonstrate by way of a portfolio.
>>
>Not going into animation
>Everybody fucking needs you
>>
File: fpsmapdesign.jpg (57 KB, 600x480) Image search: [Google]
fpsmapdesign.jpg
57 KB, 600x480
>>248896648
>Video game design course
>>Teaches you how to make vidya
No it fucking doesn't. At least not according to the poor bastards that take it at my college. It teaches them how to map/level design (pic related); simplify things; monetization; accessibility; inclusiveness and etc.

It's got nothing to do with programming.
>>
>>248909640
>My dream is to write a interesting world for stories of all mediums to take place in

Nice, I've had similar ideas too, but lately I've been more character focused. Do you have Skype?
>>
>>248909123
Math is important.
There's a difference between software development and software security.
You will have to learn multiple languages.
Many of your teachers/profs have actual, real--world experience, listen to them.
Don't be afraid to take an online course.
Try to keep yourself at least one chapter ahead of the class.
If you're developing stuff on the side, implement what you know as you go along.
Practice makes perfect.
Learn conventions and how to write documentation. (not really important)

I can't think of anything else at the moment.
>>
>>248909880
>animators are the new programmers
>>
File: Shingeki no Colossus.jpg (1 MB, 2116x1599) Image search: [Google]
Shingeki no Colossus.jpg
1 MB, 2116x1599
>>248896648
Didn't they cut like half the planned bosses from that game?
>>
File: autodidactic.png (116 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
autodidactic.png
116 KB, 1440x900
>>248909126
skool is for foolz
>>
>>248909123
If you can, learn about subversion or (shit what the other one called, involves shelvesets and whatnot)
>>
>>248910345
>that colossus would be easier to kill than just one 10m class titan
>>
>>248909123
Every single position except for concept artist: mathematics.

You'll also get hired in almost every other industry/field and start out with one of the biggest salaries.
>>
>>248898794
go to bed, Charles.
>>
>>248910345

More than half. The original plan was something totally absurd like 60 bosses.
>>
>>248910481
>>248910221
Well I suck at math, I saw earlier in the thread that people who dont do math are fine as well
>>
>>248910370
r u makin mods 4 wachdogs?????
>>
File: 1298933656060.jpg (6 KB, 98x173) Image search: [Google]
1298933656060.jpg
6 KB, 98x173
>>248910370
>Assembly Language

God, there is nothing I hate more.
>>
>>248909881
so what you're saying is, a Game Design course doesn't teach you how to make games, but instead teaches you how to design games.

Gee, I wonder why that is.
>>
File: nuzlocke.webm (3 MB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
nuzlocke.webm
3 MB, 960x720
>>248909580
Nigga, I'm an architecture student and I want to do that, but I've only learnt about regular stuff but not so much about how to design a -fun- level.

Sheit, I barely know how to design a dungeon, I feel that I'm lacking a link in my education. Any tips?
>>
>>248910582
You're going to have to take at least one advanced mathematics course (and pass) if you want to get a CS degree. It's unavoidable.
>>
File: 1335724983464.jpg (57 KB, 586x438) Image search: [Google]
1335724983464.jpg
57 KB, 586x438
>>248908898
>theological mythology
As opposed to atheist mythology? If you want to write, write. And self-publish.
>>
File: j.jpg (14 KB, 657x424) Image search: [Google]
j.jpg
14 KB, 657x424
Why is /v/- Job Counseling so chill
>>
>>248905368

There's a sub-branch of math called set theory that helps you understand some of the basic data structures. You'll also have to understand algebra and matrices but they're not so bad and get easier the more you look at it. There's a shit load of math in graphical programming but realistically you'll only need that if you're building a game engine from scratch. Very few game dev's actually do that because there's so many pre-made engines out there. Building from scratch is generally a waste of time.
>>
>>248910769
compsci and soft-dev are the same?
>>
>>248910763
Best you can do is play games with good and bad level design.
>>
>>248910582
Then you'll end up like those indies who stick to 2D games and have a much lower chance of making any money.

I recommend learning maths.
>>
File: Pholux[1].jpg (52 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Pholux[1].jpg
52 KB, 640x480
>>248910345
kinda
http://teamico.wikia.com/wiki/Unused_Colossi
>>
>>248910763
You need to know the mechanics of the game before you can make a "fun" level. You also have to take into account the playstyle.

Is it challenging? Is it a puzzle room? Is it a navigational maze? Is it a dungeon crawler run? Is it a platformer room? Is it a boss room? Does the character jump? Does the character move quickly? Does the character have any unique mechanics?

It's really context-specific.
>>
>>248910867
It has the same "pub" essence as feel threads, only we're actually trying to do something with our lives.
>>
>>248910763
Play videogame, note down things you'd like to improve or things you think not many games have done. What's fun and what's not.
>>
>>248908898
>english major
You can always become a games journalist, toplel.
>>
What's the easiest degree plan that consistently nets $60k+ a year?
>>
>>248910868
>>248910920
alright, how does someone who is abolutely trash at math get better?
>>
>>248911081
Selling weed to your friends friends
>>
>>248910119
>Do you have Skype?

not anymore, but if you're serious, send me an email at [email protected] and we'll go from there.
>>
File: lol.png (430 KB, 1263x705) Image search: [Google]
lol.png
430 KB, 1263x705
>>248910370
Assembly seems so cool.

How hard is it to do graphics in ASM?
>>
>>248908898
Have you considered being someone who writes documentation for software and physical products?
>>
>>248910763
did he died?
>>
>>248911163
Follow a course/book on the internet.

Exercise until you can do the shit like muscle memory, without even thinking.

Then are you good at math.
>>
>not just making your own game to rake in dosh and funding your own projects and becoming an immediate director

Way to go.
>>
>>248911216
VERY easy
>>
File: 1402172545944.gif (892 KB, 491x635) Image search: [Google]
1402172545944.gif
892 KB, 491x635
>>248910763
Well how heavy is your program into learning 3D modeling software? Basically understanding Rhino 3D, the AutoDesk Software, and even the Adobe CS are key.

Then like, find a game that has some community made maps, play them, look at the 3D file, figure out why they work, why they dont, etc. Then try to make your own.

A lot of vidya companies are really interested in Arch majors, I know Ubisoft especially is.

Also I think one of the coolest level maps I've ever looked at in a 3D modeling program was Dark Souls. If every game could have level design that coherent, god damn.
>>
>>248910895
>>248911031

I'm doing that right now, I've been playing rpgs and taking notes while I do so, but those in particular are pretty straightforward. It's as if a fun level gets reduced to its narrative elements and space just plays along to that tune.

>>248910998
That's the most important point in my opinion, and the one that I keep forgetting. I end up liking a level more because of its story, while I should be focusing in the gameplay elements for it.
>>
>>248911019
Because despite what you and most others probably think, almost everyone here is smarter than average, but also lazier than average.

A lot of people here would work and do a good job, but don't want to go through the hassle of finding a job. Every night they go to bed and say "tomorrow I'm spending all day looking for a job". That next night at 2 AM after playing video games or dicking around on /v/ all day, they say "ok, tomorrow for SURE I am spending all day". Surprisingly though, if they already had a job, they would likely be quite loyal and harder working than most.

I'm ready for the massive shit I'm about to get for posting this.
>>
>>248911163
From a friend of mine who looks like your average street punk who constantly yaps about sports, he's real good at math and he said he'd do online problems in his schedule.for challenge
>>
>>248906540

Little bit of both.

I'd help to actually use some of those skills for something, even if its a shitty unity project or a source mod.
>>
>>248911556
>Dark Souls
It's all about the verticality. Developers are lazy and make flat shit.
>>
>>248896648
How the fugg did I manage to beat SOTC without knowing there was a parachute
>>
>>248896648
I stuided game design. You can choose focus or minors at the art school I went to. I am a professional modeler. I make models. It's nice.
I had my childhood friend write most of my code for me. I suck at programming.
>>
>>248911826
Yeah, that's exactly right. I mean, architects are used to making vertical spaces so, maybe that's why I was so enamored with the level design even though I didn't like the game so much.

I mean it's so smart how the levels stack and intertwine with one another.
>>
File: 1401255056206.jpg (43 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
1401255056206.jpg
43 KB, 500x333
>>248910582
its all about motivation anon

i was one the smartest faggots in high school when it came to math
even better than my older brother who was shit in anything mathematics
funny thing is hes a goddamn dental surgeon now and im fucking unemployed

im so unmotivated to do shit
>>
>>248911701
Anon you're replying to, I believe you.
>>
>>248911924
You type like a VN protagonist.
>>
>>248911701
Jesus every. single. day.

sadfrog
>>
.>>248912223
>He got the bad ending.
>>
>>248896648
I probably should have switched to a CS major before I graduated.

>Be in Computer Engineering
>Start learning about circuits
>Think that it might be fun
>Suddenly, programming is shoved into the curriculum
>Have no idea what this shit is, starts us off at Advanced programming
>Nobody learns shit, everyone fails and professors have to curve the exams
>Networking classes are half-assed, barely learn half of the first part of the CCNA
>Internship not required, head of the department actively rejected Internship requests
>End up graduating barely knowing anything with no job experience

Its insanely difficult trying to find a job now, I may as well just go and get my Masters degree.
>>
>>248911559
Also try to major in Biology or Robotics or whatever courses you like besides being a codemonkey. These will complement on your game with reality to support your writing, though I doubt anyone would have the luxury and time or willpower to do this.

Look up Boichi or Osamu Tezuka. Hell, Fukumoto was a construction worker for 45 years before getting into writing comics.
>>
>>248911701
Why work when someone else is willing to support? So long as you provide a service, what's the matter? Live with parents, do chores, help fix the house up with like landscaping or fixing the stairs, live with your wifey while she works, you do all the cleaning and cooking and child raising, fuck working. I don't understand how you people could fucking bother with work. You're a slave, that's all you are.
>>
what if you want to be a games journalist or game designer (i.e concepts and U.I design)
>>
>>248912528
None of the things you listed are worth staying home for, nor replace a salary. You're abusing your family's income and are being a leech.
>>
>>248912491
If you can afford it, you always should go for your masters. That's where the real shit begins, and you actually choose what you want to do.
>>
>>248912641
Game journalist: english major (bonus points for women studies)

Concept designer: nobody will ever hire a new guy doing that, you need to make a successful game and then people will consider you.
>>
>>248912641
>game journalist
network and talk your way into a position

>game designer
I'm not sure how it work in the big companies, but unless you're also a programmer, artist, or animator, you'd just be an ideas guy.
>>
>>248911556
I mostly use autoCAD, Rhino and PS and sketchup for quick stuff. But sadly my school is garbage teaching those programs so I ended up learning most of them by myself, I barely know how to use 3dsm and do any kind of renders (when I have to do one, I make a render with shadows and throw 999 textures in PS over it, so pretty much edit it as a photo).

That sounds like a pretty good idea, I should try it!
And... wait, are the 3D maps files around? I thought you had to hack the game to take them out and that most people werent interested in doing so.

Oh fuck, now I'm interested in looking at the DaS files, I always loved the level design of it. Is there a site where I can see them?

>>248912503
I've taken subjects in a lot of departments already (arts, music, theatre, literature, engineering, construction, history, geography, philosophy, economy, etc), but that's because I'm a nerd.
>>
>>248912895
>I've taken subjects in a lot of departments already (arts, music, theatre, literature, engineering, construction, history, geography, philosophy, economy, etc), but that's because I'm a nerd.

Sounds like a standard General Ed gauntlet in my part of town
>>
>>248912687
If his parents don't mind why would you?
>>
>nobody mentioned sound design
>nobody talks about music major in this kind of thread

I bet Nierfag wouldn't be so self masturbatory if the game didn't have Keichi Okabe direct the soundtracks
>>
>>248912803
Thats the tricky part though.

I want to start off in an IT career, but a lot of these jobs require you to have 2+ years of experience for an entry-level position. IT Internships require you to be an enrolled student, and volunteer work obviously doesn't pay.

The last thing that I want to do is get a job in an unrelated field, but without any money, I can't go back to college.
>>
>>248913181
they mind
>>
what's a good career for someone introverted, shit at maths, good at english, good memory and decent problem solving ability
>>
>>248912803
>If you can afford it, you always should go for your masters

Fuck no! Never do a masters they're fucking useless. Especially in software courses. The longer you wait to start employment the worse off you're gonna be. Hell a good 70% of a regular bachelors degree is useless by the time you've finished. Software moves way too fast for uni courses to keep up so whatever you learn is outdated pretty quickly.

Also 2 years work experience is 100 times better than having a masters for finding a job.
>>
>Grow up drawing
>Want to draw comics as a kid
>End up as an illustrator in college
>Maybe I'll work for vidya games doing concept art or something
>Teach myself modeling and Zbrush and stuff for vidya
>Fail miserably
>Too old to find my way into entry level
>Gotta find a job doing some corporate graphic design or something while I contemplate killing myself.
>>
>>248912687
>worth staying home for
Where can I see the rules stating what makes you a leech and what doesn't? Is there some sort of mountain where the tenants are burned into with brimstone and fire? Worth and value are subjective just as morality. You are just a production of your society, you think the way you do because of your society. You were raised to believe in being a good working drone. As for the whole "leech of family" thing it's bullshit. You brought the little shit into existence, you take care of the fucking thing till its death. No one asks to be born, this is part of why I support antinatalism.
>>
>>248913114
Oh, right, I forget that my country works differently with their careers.
When you start a career, you have a mandatory curriculum that barely branches in other areas. Ex: engineering has only engineering and maths subjects, but you get a free subject every two semesters.
>>
>>248896648
Then should I learn software development in college as a first timer or should I try to learn how to program some shit before going to college?
>>
>>248913189
what kind of ability do you have to have to do a music degree? I am good at guitar and bass but my music theory is shit.
>>
>>248913181
First off, it's not about not minding, but he's asking "why don't you do it?". It's because your parents consistently lose money by doing this. This is regardless of them wanting you home and loving you.

Secondly, that is a horrible long-term idea. When your parents die, you'll be a 40-50 year old with no job experience, which translates into living on the side of the street for the rest of your life because nobody will hire you even to pick up the garbage.
>>
>>248913240
You do know there's more in life than just math and english right
>>
Are business/economic degrees viable in this day and age?
>>
>want to do concept art and shit
>only option I can think of is illustration
Am I making the correct choice?
>>
File: FREEMAN.gif (80 KB, 150x156) Image search: [Google]
FREEMAN.gif
80 KB, 150x156
I know it's the shadow of Colossus theme song, but can someone tell me specifically what songs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75R1g9zZfU0#t=191

These are absolutely beautiful
>>
>>248913491
Learning to code is like learning the alphabet. Software development is like writing a novel.

You should practice coding.
>>
>>248913436
Whole heartedly disagree. If you're in it for the money, depending on who you're working under for your masters and where you are, you can get some pretty fucking amazing gigs. Shovelling shit for 2 years isn't guaranteed to get you something worth more, and nothing says you can't work in the mean time doing a job within your field.
>>
You'll never take my advice, but you're just getting fucked today going to college as you'll not learn any more than you would studying outside of college and employers know a college education isn't an indicator of anything anymore. It's turned into a huge scam and the reason it is and is getting worse is that you let it by being determined that you must have a college education (or worse, the "college experience") no matter what.
>>
>>248901038

I'm a developer at a decent company and I write c# asp.net apps.

I barely tried to get this job, they're paying me 57k a year with decent benefits and I don't do shit half the time anyways. Yeah, my websites aren't exactly impressive, but people in my company use it, and I have to fix their shit all the time.

Overall, not a bad career choice.
>>
>>248913778
I don't know about business degrees. Probably if you have some sort of foot in the door of an industry already. If you major in economics prepare for the wonderful world of academia.
>>
>>248897109

POOR GUY! WHY DID YOU MADE THIS FOR HIM OP? WHY?!
>>
>>248913942

Programming isn't some ancient knowledge. People who wrote these languages used common sense, so anyone with common sense could easily pick it up. Learning the basics of programming is like learning a new form of math. It takes a bit of practice, but it's nothing like learning a new language.
>>
>>248913470
>Where can I see the rules stating what makes you a leech and what doesn't?
Would anyone want to hire a person that does what you do? The answer is no, because they'd be losing money compared to the "job" you do.

Pretty easy way to determine when someone is a leech.

>As for the whole "leech of family" thing it's bullshit. You brought the little shit into existence, you take care of the fucking thing till its death. No one asks to be born, this is part of why I support antinatalism.
Not only delusional, but edgy to boot. You never moved on from your teenager phase, that's probably because you are a leech.
>>
>>248901170
>hundreds of thousands
Did you go to medical school? also
>not getting gud and getting scholarships
>>
>>248913857
The thing you gotta understand is that the video game industry has no paying jobs to offer, with less every year.

You won't get a job, ever. Unless you have connections out the ass, a portfolio that might as well be professional, and you don't mind not getting paid while you work for no-name companies so you can have shipped titles on your resume before finding a real job, don't expect to land anything.

Remember, there's a kid out there right now who has a better portfolio than you, and he's 15 years old. He'll get a job. You won't.
>>
>>248914083
>Programming isn't some ancient knowledge.
Neither is language.

From the perspective of a computational linguist, they are not dissimilar. The strength of the analogy isn't in the specifics, however - more in the relationship between the two.
>>
>no interest in any career field
>only like dogs
>walking dogs
>brushing dogs
>spending time with dogs
>want to just walk with dogs for the rest of my life

What degree should I do? at this point I just want to be successful to rub it in my fathers face. I'm bad with maths so what other options do i have to make a shit ton of money?
>>
>>248913491

I say do it before college. You'll get a really good feel for it and you'll be able to decide if it's what you want to do for the rest of your life. Better knowing now than 3 years into your course.
>>
>>248913971
I'm one of the autists. I'm making 125k/yr and I worked from home most of the last few years. I realize a lot of the work I push on those below me is pretty awful stuff, especially software testing and integration, and we're able to hire them at progressively lower salaries as there's a flood of them at the college level at the moment. I'd not recommend the field to anyone other than an autist right now.
>>
>>248913778
If the absolute only thing you care about is reliable money, do an accounting course. You'll always find work doing book keeping shit, but be prepared to be bored as all fuck.
>>
>>248896648
I came to this realization years ago.

I now have a degree in computer science and there's job opportunity everywhere.

People respect you when you can tell them you know 5+ languages, maintain hardware and can manage a database.
>>
>>248913857
You'd need to be excessively amazing at illustration. Like nation-wide professional kind of amazing.

Like anything-you-paint-will-make-people-say-wow-it's-amazing type of amazing.
>>
>>248900137
>>>/tumblr/
>>
>>248913578
Look up SoundTeMP, they make soundtrack for Ragnarok Online and the guys just mix and mash a lot of different music while being real good at it. You don't need theory for fancy shit but I think they'll ask you to read notes from their own sheet and if you can't read that then it's no good.

I start with any tracker and moved up to Midi to remixes. Sometimes they'd just hire pop stars to sing for their video game.
>>
How hard is it to get like an artistic director job in vidya?
>>
>>248914354
>degree
Why not just work at a pet store, or breed dogs, or something? Hell, there are a million dog-wash places all around. Why do you need college?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 60

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.